Home
The largest egg producer in the United States announced it is halting production at its Texas plant and culling the flock of nearly two million chickens.

Cal-Maine Foods announced it would halt production at its Parmer County, Texas facility after it detected bird flu at the plant.

The company destroyed 1.6 million egg-laying hens and 337,000 pullets (female chickens not yet mature enough to lay eggs) at the plant.

Am I too soon?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Have enough friends with chickens we never worrie about eggs.
The three girls out in the Gulag are layin' regular now.

Just had three of their production this morning.

Dozen more still in the fridge.
I wouldn't sell eggs to the orphans home for double price.

Piss on you people.
1) cut food supply
2) poison commercially available food with "vaccines"

Done.
Why is the avian flu continuing to happen?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I wouldn't sell eggs to the orphans home for double price. Piss on you people.

Jimmy is not big on unity.
Originally Posted by SupFoo
I wouldn't sell eggs to the orphans home for double price. Piss on you people.

Jimmy is not big on unity.

Stick them eggs up your ass while you can still afford them Superdouche.
2.00 a dozen.
Noticed the prices a week or so ago. went from 7 bucks for 5 dozen to 13.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Noticed the prices a week or so ago. went from 7 bucks for 5 dozen to 13.
So an 86% price increase.
Eggs are nasty

Except if making french toast.
A month ago The Walmarks was just under $3/dozen or $4/18. Kids were pricing theirs for the dozen a day they were getting from Henrietta and her friends.
There was something in a common feed a whole back that caused our chickens and most of the neighbors birds to stop laying. Once we changed feed they started again. I assumed the government was experimenting with ways to shut down the little guys.

Bb
I still pay a dollar a dozen for yard eggs, things don’t change in the country, except hay and feed
They are attacking food production. The purpose is massive population reduction via starvation and lethal vaccination.
I get mine from tha hen house
Our girls were pretty much off duty over most of the Winter Months.... back to full production now.
Bought a dozen yesterday, $2.99.
Originally Posted by Traveler52
I keep my own free range flock:

[Linked Image]
Hurricanes in the Gulf
Seasonal Change-Over in Production
Chinese on an Egg-Buying Spree
Originally Posted by Angus55
I still pay a dollar a dozen for yard eggs, things don’t change in the country, except hay and feed
Back when I had a much bigger operation (fourteen hens), I used to sell my hen's eggs to a local health food store for $5.00 per dozen, and they'd sell them to their customers for $6.00 per dozen. They considered it a service to their regular customers.
$2 a dozen at Aldi’s just now, and I didn’t have to step in chicken chit.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
A month ago The Walmarks was just under $3/dozen or $4/18. Kids were pricing theirs for the dozen a day they were getting from Henrietta and her friends.
Henrietta is the greatest chicken name I ever heard!
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Two completely different products, mass produced eggs vs backyard, free range.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Traveler52
I keep my own free range flock:

[Linked Image]

I'm still amazed that you don't have to refrigerate them, lady up the road told me the same thing....never knew that.
Only need to refridgerate, if washed !
We'll probably add five hens to the current flock of nine. Don't really need more but the older birds can always get the soup treatment or canned.

There's no way we can eat the daily 6-9 eggs that the girls are popping out now. All the extras are given to family and neighbors.
Originally Posted by kenoh2
We'll probably add five hens to the current flock of nine. Don't really need more but the older birds can always get the soup treatment or canned.

There's no way we can eat the daily 6-9 eggs that the girls are popping out now. All the extras are given to family and neighbors.

"... extras are given to family and neighbors." That takes me back to a time and place long ago.
Jumbos $2.99 yesterday. That’s down from the peak during the last shortage.
Back yard chicken eggs are WWAAAY better. However, I am done raising chickens.. I buy them from the old lady down the road for 3 bucks /doz. and they are huge.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Only need to refridgerate, if washed !
Yep.
Originally Posted by ihookem
Back yard chicken eggs are WWAAAY better. However, I am done raising chickens.. I buy them from the old lady down the road for 3 bucks /doz. and they are huge.
Nice.

Other than seasonally cleaning out the hen house and replacing the wood shavings on the floor, I think keeping a flock of free range backyard chickens is a load of fun. Been doing it constantly for fourteen years now.
They are attacking food production. The purpose is massive population reduction via starvation and lethal vaccination.

Honestly that is what it comes down to.

If a guy found a way to grow crickets at scale enough to feed the third world shîteaters that would eat them .gov would find a way to fûck him.
I bought 24 for 4.48 aat Sams yesterday. Same price last month.
Anybody ever use that Alaskan fish fertilizer? Basically a slurry of salmon that you mix with water to fertilize the garden.

Mixed some up and sprayed it on some foliage. Chickens were often out and proceeded to eat the freshly fertilized greens.

Hoo Lee schit…….Those were some bad eggs. Tasted like the bottom of a hot chum bag. 🤮

Would love to have some chickens too. Not any longer.

Store bought "aigs" are runny and the yolk is, well, yellow.
A fried store bought aig is flat.
Yard "aigs" have more body and the yolk is golden and stands up when fried.

Wash your eggs. When they dry, dip them in paraffin. They will last a LONG time unrefridgerated.
Originally Posted by SupFoo
The largest egg producer in the United States announced it is halting production at its Texas plant and culling the flock of nearly two million chickens.

Cal-Maine Foods announced it would halt production at its Parmer County, Texas facility after it detected bird flu at the plant.

The company destroyed 1.6 million egg-laying hens and 337,000 pullets (female chickens not yet mature enough to lay eggs) at the plant.

Am I too soon?

$3/18 pack today on my walmark pick up order

Yea......$6 for 36 eggs
That egg shortage a couple years ago spurred all the rural housewives in my area to start raising chickens and selling eggs.

There's a bunch of them. Some went overboard and sell like 6-10 dozen a day.

I have a sweet lady that I do work on their ranch that has been keeping me in free range chicken eggs lately. She won't take any money either. She has like 40-50 chickens.

Otherwise, the free range chicken eggs here are $3 a dozen. Having had chickens in the past, I'd rather buy eggs than fugg around raising chickens. LOL
I agree, but the convenience outweighs the difference to me. I was getting from a neighbor, but she got rid of her chickens.

The chickens are better too. We raise a large vegetable garden, but do not raise anything that eats.
Store bought eggs are nasty. No way I would eat them after having free range eggs from my hens. That goes for beef, pork, lamb etc. also.
Funnie.. The rancher that supposedly caught bird flu from a cow actually had pinkeye...

https://twitter.com/MdBreathe/status/1775539262517022934
We got 6 chickens. Well 5 3/4 after my bird dog tore the ass feathers outa 1 one of them.

We are flush with eggs.

Gives the kids something to take care of.
I have 20 hens. Get 18-29 avg daily. We eat 4-6 a day. The rest we sell at the gym for $2/doz. Have a waiting list.
I don't eat eggs here at home. Occasionally I hit a taqueria.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Funnie.. The rancher that supposedly caught bird flu from a cow actually had pinkeye...

https://twitter.com/MdBreathe/status/1775539262517022934
Bwahahaha!
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I have 20 hens. Get 18-29 avg daily. We eat 4-6 a day. The rest we sell at the gym for $2/doz. Have a waiting list.

You are to be commended for holding that price.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Depends on where you are. Back when I had fourteen hens and sold their eggs to a health food store in town, I got $5.00 a dozen, and they'd sell them to their townie customers for $6.00 a dozen. But if I had tried to sell them at the farmer's market down the street from me, I'd have had to compete against other local produces selling their eggs for $2.00 a dozen. It was well worth the half hour trip all the way to town to get the better price.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Depends on where you are. Back when I had fourteen hens and sold their eggs to a health food store in town, I got $5.00 a dozen, and they'd sell them to their townie customers for $6.00 a dozen. But if I had tried to sell them at the farmer's market down the street from me, I'd have had to compete against other local produces selling their eggs for $2.00 a dozen. It was sell worth the trip all the way to town to get the better price.
Originally Posted by EdM
I don't eat eggs here at home. Occasionally I hit a taqueria.
Bird flu is a joke.

The fugging Feds liquidate flocks to prevent them from contracting bird flu. Yep. Prevent from contracting, not transmitting.

One year they made all the turkey producers kill all their turkeys if they wanted to keep their layer operations going.

There was no bird flu.

So...they killed thousands and thousands of turkeys.....and never tested anything.

How much do you think Tyson paid the USDA to do that?
https://positivelypittsburgh.com/rent-the-chicken/
Bird flu is a joke.

The fugging Feds liquidate flocks to prevent them from contracting bird flu. Yep. Prevent from contracting, not transmitting.

One year they made all the turkey producers kill all their turkeys if they wanted to keep their layer operations going.

There was no bird flu.

So...they killed thousands and thousands of turkeys.....and never tested anything.

How much do you think Tyson paid the USDA to do that?

Say it ain’t so!

Every time my mother would pick up a carton of eggs in the store, when I was a kid, I got informed "Eggs were a nickel a dozen in the Depression, boy". Never did figure out a snappy comeback for when she said it. Knowing her, it was probably for the best...
Does 700% profit for Cal- Maine last time this B.S started ring a bell.
Originally Posted by sherm_61

Them guys are just barely getting by!

Somebody will probably also praise "capitalism" too.

As if paying a politician off to destroy your enemies is "capitalism".

I have no clue who is pulling the strings. But, "Guaranteed, it is about money and control..."

Yeah because there's never been fluctuation in prices, or disease outbreaks in humongous poultry houses.

Who is "they" by the way?
Ross Perot said it best along time ago alot of people said he was radical well here it is.
THE FLEECING OF AMERICA.
When you control the market you control the price not rocket science.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yeah because there's never been fluctuation in prices, or disease outbreaks in humongous poultry houses.

Who is "they" by the way?

LOL, don’t expect an answer,

Free pass on the “lethal vaccination” statement?
Originally Posted by RUM7
We got 6 chickens. Well 5 3/4 after my bird dog tore the ass feathers outa 1 one of them.

We are flush with eggs.

Gives the kids something to take care of.
That’s what I ran and I couldn’t keep up so after keeping it the neighbors supplied I started whipping them and freezing them in greased muffin cups. I vacuum packed four to the bag and used them for an egg wash or scrambled eggs.

Them guys are just barely getting by!

Somebody will probably also praise "capitalism" too.

As if paying a politician off to destroy your enemies is "capitalism".

Good post.
Eggs will have to get much more expensive to justify the expense on our “Chicken Palace” presently under construction. It’s been a project in the making for quite a few years….the concrete should be pretty well cured by now! 🙂 memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by memtb
Eggs will have to get much more expensive to justify the expense on our “Chicken Palace” presently under construction. It’s been a project in the making for quite a few years….the concrete should be pretty well cured by now! 🙂 memtb

Nice. A concrete floor is essential, to keep any predator from digging under the structure to get at the chickens while they sleep.

One crucial hint that's often missed by people who've never kept chickens before: The chicken hatch (the one used by the chickens for ingress and egress) needs to be elevated off the outside ground by a foot or more. Give them a narrow ramp for getting in and out. The function of this is to keep snakes from using the hatch to get inside.

Since yours is already constructed level with the ground (so the concrete floor can prevent predators from digging under), you will need a ramp on both the inside and the outside, for the chickens to access the chicken hatch going in and out. Either that, or an elevated inside floor even with the elevated hatch.
Originally Posted by memtb

Nice. A concrete floor is essential, to keep any predator from digging under the structure to get at the chickens while they sleep.

One crucial hint that's often missed by people who've never kept chickens before: The chicken hatch (the one used by the chickens for ingress and egress) needs to be elevated off the outside ground by a foot or more. Give them a narrow ramp for getting in and out. The function of this is to keep snakes from using the hatch to get inside.
Snakes are getting in
Thanks Hawkeye, We’ll be using solar/battery powered doors for the chickens, which will close at night. We’ll be adding a solar powered light on the inside for adding in egg production when daylight periods fall below 14 hrs/day, and will have a solar powered attic fan to help keep cool on hot days, also placed the windows as high as possible to help heat escape from the ceiling area.

Snakes are pretty much a non issue…..in 24 years, we’ve seen only about 4 or 5. This area is so harsh/undesirable ….even snakes avoid it! 😉. The concrete floor has an elevated wall full perimeter……the top is about 10” above the outside dirt level. So the 10 (+/-)” plus the doubled floor plate, gives a pretty good elevation increase!

The fenced area is 100’ x 100’ and will be divided into half by a fence from house center to the opposite side perimeter fence……making 2 - 50’ x 100’ garden spots. That’s the reason for the two powered doors, one on each side of the fence. We’ll garden one side, and the chickens will work/live on the other side! W’e’ll swap sides each year! memtb
I paid $17/60eggs at small grocery store, walmarlin next day $8/60eggs.
I started crying
Yep….local eggs are darn expensive. But…..our closest Walmart is over 80 (each way) miles away, in a town I try to avoid. So, it’s a bit over 90 miles to our “preferred” Walmart! memtb
Three years ago, I started this flock with 6 chicks. Lost one after a month, so my flock of 5 birds have been supplying all the eggs we can eat. Last year they produced 633 eggs. The flock is down to 4 now, so we'll see what we get this year.

Not just eggs. It's food in general.
Nice!👍

I eat a lot of eggs, 3 almost every day…..so, we’ll be keeping girls pretty busy! 🙂 memtb
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Three years ago, I started this flock with 6 chicks. Lost one after a month, so my flock of 5 birds have been supplying all the eggs we can eat. Last year they produced 633 eggs. The flock is down to 4 now, so we'll see what we get this year.

Nice setup.
Originally Posted by 1minute
You can trace stuff that has tripled in price directly related to big corporations that control the market share and Cal- Maine does that with eggs, Vista does that with the primer market that is just an example for 2. Do you really think that's an anomaly.
Hell look at big pharma, Logan Health is buying up just about every hospital and Dr office in Montana ya think there's a plan.
[quote=MickinColo]Three years ago, I started this flock with 6 chicks. Lost one after a month, so my flock of 5 birds have been supplying all the eggs we can eat. Last year they produced 633 eggs. The flock is down to 4 now, so we'll see what we get this year.

Thanks,

I built that coop 10 years ago, with the idea of making it bulletproof against the coyotes, foxes, and raccoons we have around here. Like memtb, “eggs will have to get much more expensive to justify the expense on our Chicken Palace”. But we have a nice coop, and it didn't brake the bank, but it was a lot more than I started out to spend.
Originally Posted by 1minute
You can trace stuff that has tripled in price directly related to big corporations that control the market share and Cal- Maine does that with eggs, Vista does that with the primer market that is just an example for 2. Do you really think that's an anomaly.
Hell look at big pharma, Logan Health is buying up just about every hospital and Dr office in Montana ya think there's a plan.

Teddy Roosevelt busted his truss, then we let it all start right back up again.
Originally Posted by MickinColo
[quote=MickinColo]Three years ago, I started this flock with 6 chicks. Lost one after a month, so my flock of 5 birds have been supplying all the eggs we can eat. Last year they produced 633 eggs. The flock is down to 4 now, so we'll see what we get this year.

Thanks,

I built that coop 10 years ago, with the idea of making it bulletproof against the coyotes, foxes, and raccoons we have around here. Like memtb, “eggs will have to get much more expensive to justify the expense on our Chicken Palace”. But we have a nice coop, and it didn't brake the bank, but it was a lot more than I started out to spend.

Yes, darn pricey! I roughly estimated that with inflation factored in…..I should break even in about 147 years! 😂 memtb
[Linked Image from images.axios.com]
[Linked Image from media.cnn.com]
36 eggs for $6.14.
Chicken houses are just like gun rooms or garages, as soon as you start useing them you think " I should'a made it alot bigger!!"

Scott
My four hens are really solid egg layers. I have a family of four, and they provide enough and then some. They are super easy to maintain, and they decimate insect populations around the house.
Originally Posted by smallfry
My four hens are really solid egg layers. I have a family of four, and they provide enough and then some. They are super easy to maintain, and they decimate insect populations around the house.
This.
Just had half a dozen jumbos with a pound of bacon and pan of fried potato's....

Phil
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Just had half a dozen jumbos with a pound of bacon and pan of fried potato's....

Phil
You must be 300 lbs
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Phil
You must be 300 lbs
Toot cooked them😂
What part of the bird does Arctic Circle's chicken rings come from?
My real bitch is I can't find the Jumbos anymore.
If this bird-flu takes hold like it did a couple years ago, egg prices will be climbing again in quick order.

Phil
Pullets are hi as giraffe nuts
Good barter material
Go back to sleep, noting to see here. Everything is as it should be and all is well.
If this bird-flu takes hold like it did a couple years ago, egg prices will be climbing again in quick order.

Phil

Fùck off Phillis.
My black cock keeps our girls going😂😂
😂 memtb
Originally Posted by earlybrd

You aren't kidding. Paid $9.80 a piece for this yrs batch. That's way up. We get every 2 to 3 yrs........usually have a hen or 2 sit on eggs or we sometimes incubate our own, but eventually the fox around here seem to get them knocked down enough we got to bring in new blood. $9.80 a piece. Good gracious this economy is screwed up.
My current rooster when he had just become fully mature. He's a bit bigger now, and his spurs are at least four times longer now, and a good bit thicker.

[Linked Image]
A ramp elevated 12” isn’t stopping a snake
My current rooster when he had just become fully mature. He's a bit bigger now, and his spurs are at least four times longer now, and a good bit thicker.

[Linked Image]

Funny how a pit bull apologist describes his rooster ain’t it?
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

You aren't kidding. Paid $9.80 a piece for this yrs batch. That's way up. We get every 2 to 3 yrs........usually have a hen or 2 sit on eggs or we sometimes incubate our own, but eventually the fox around here seem to get them knocked down enough we got to bring in new blood. $9.80 a piece. Good gracious this economy is screwed up.
Schit try $15-25 a piece around here I got the perfect setup but no time 🤯

I don't have the receipt for 2019, but do have it from 2022. In 2022 they were $7.65. If memory serves me right in 2019 they were between $5-6$. We get from a Mennonite/Amish operation that does custom butchering of chickens for small flocks raised for meat, and gets in orders for layer pullets several times a yr. We always get the red stars. Guess I shouldn't complain based on your prices, but when it's nearly double from 5 yrs ago, it makes you sit up and take notice.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Funny how a pit bull apologist describes his rooster ain’t it?
Sorry. I mean, ain't he sweet and delicate looking? He just loves the smell of flowers.

Did I do it right that time?

I don't have the receipt for 2019, but do have it from 2022. In 2022 they were $7.65. If memory serves me right in 2019 they were between $5-6$. We get from a Mennonite/Amish operation that does custom butchering of chickens for small flocks raised for meat, and gets in orders for layer pullets several times a yr. We always get the red stars. Guess I shouldn't complain based on your prices, but when it's nearly double from 5 yrs ago, it makes you sit up and take notice.
Ya I could make bank ain’t that hard to do got a corporation to run 🤯🤯retirement one day 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂
I get a dozen+ chicken and duck eggs every week for free from the neighbor as they free range on my property. Have no idea what people pay for eggs.
I'm crap at chicken math - so now have 11 of them. And a duck hen. And 4 new layer ducklings as of Wednesday. And two goslings as of Wednesday as well.

You think pullets are spendy, go buy a couple Toulouse geese. Dayamn!!! I mean D-A-Y-A-M-N!!!

I talked to the local feed store folks about how to get those really trendy deep orange yolks. They're nice and golden already, but if you put some pepper flakes in with the feed and scratch grains - voila! And a lot easier to obtain than marigold petals.
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
I'm crap at chicken math - so now have 11 of them. And a duck hen. And 4 new layer ducklings as of Wednesday. And two goslings as of Wednesday as well.

You think pullets are spendy, go buy a couple Toulouse geese. Dayamn!!! I mean D-A-Y-A-M-N!!!

I talked to the local feed store folks about how to get those really trendy deep orange yolks. They're nice and golden already, but if you put some pepper flakes in with the feed and scratch grains - voila! And a lot easier to obtain than marigold petals.

Chicken math! I think that they’re pretty good at multiplication……given the right conditions! 😂 memtb
I just read where Kroger reported a 35.6% profit increase from '22 to '23 and Publix was up 49% in the same period. That is why we are seeing such a substantial increase in our grocery bills lately. Tell me that there isn't price fixing out there in corporate America. They won't let this Texas bird flu outbreak go unnoticed either. Reminds me of the petroleum industry. One refinery goes down or they change the seasonal gas formula and the gasoline price goes nuts. Price gouging at its finest.
Alot of these corporations took Piglosi's advice, Dont let a good crisis go to waste or better yet create your own
The Wall Street Journal has a commentary today -- or was it yesterday ? -- basically saying to us worker peasants, "Let them eat cake." Nothing to be concerned about. The mega-rich have bountiful pantries, full refrigerators, and plenty of gas in the tanks of their Range Rovers and Jaguars. What's to worry?

L.W.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
The Wall Street Journal has a commentary today -- or was it yesterday ? -- basically saying to us worker peasants, "Let them eat cake." Nothing to be concerned about. The mega-rich have bountiful pantries, full refrigerators, and plenty of gas in the tanks of their Range Rovers and Jaguars. What's to worry?

L.W.

Yep. Ole Nasty Nancy Piglosi has her $20K Fridge stocked full of “Diva” Ice Cream that cost $1k per quart. 🤪
Originally Posted by Windfall
I just read where Kroger reported a 35.6% profit increase from '22 to '23 and Publix was up 49% in the same period. That is why we are seeing such a substantial increase in our grocery bills lately. Tell me that there isn't price fixing out there in corporate America. They won't let this Texas bird flu outbreak go unnoticed either. Reminds me of the petroleum industry. One refinery goes down or they change the seasonal gas formula and the gasoline price goes nuts. Price gouging at its finest.

More and more people are catching on to more and more things.
Makes you kinda pissed off for all the support we gave big business during 2000, 2008, and 2012.

Now that the democrats have partnered up with Big Business and Wall Street the country is fugged.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

L.W.

Yep. Ole Nasty Nancy Piglosi has her $20K Fridge stocked full of “Diva” Ice Cream that cost $1k per quart. 🤪

Jenni’s
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

L.W.

Jenni’s

I wouldn’t know. When I’m feeling Niqqer “rich”, I buy Baskin Robbins. Otherwise I buy Blue Bell. 😬

Phil

Fùck off SyPhillis.

FIFY !
Where this is Headed

Chicken owners required to register with UK gov’t

All chicken owners will soon be forced to register with the United Kingdom government or face up to six months in prison or a £5,000 fine. The government’s new regulations come as the country tries to prevent another bird flu outbreak.

“Under the changes announced last month, there will be new requirements for all bird keepers – regardless of the size of their flock – to officially register their birds,” a Bolton Council press release stated.

The press release added, “Owners will need to provide information, including their contact details, the location where birds are kept and details of the birds, such as species, number and what they are kept for.”

If chicken owners do not register their birds, they could be fined up to £5,000 or face six months in prison, according to The Telegraph.

American Military News

China Joe is salivating at the chance to lower the boom on you chicken owners. Stop the flu or something.
I just bought 3 doz at Quicktrip for 1.43 a doz.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
A ramp elevated 12” isn’t stopping a snake

Gee, ya think?
gopher (bull) snake goin' after some eggs and chicks about 5' up a locust tree

another one shinnied up a t-post to get into this bird house

One foot elevation will prevent snakes from casually entering, for the most part (much better than a ground level hatch). For snakes that are actually after something inside, you'd be better served with a hatch much higher up and, naturally, the hatch has to be able to close up at night to protect them from night predators.

[Linked Image]

Elevation is a deterrence, not a 100% foolproof solution. There will always be exceptions. And, of course, different species of snakes have different abilities.
© 24hourcampfire