Home
2025 Toyota 4Runner - Motor Trend
Very meh...but looks better than the tundra
Couple cool looking new colors.
Pretty damn ugly but I guess today more plastic is more better. Just looks like the offroad RAV4 that was stretched in a few places.
Bronco is killin em in sales.

So they made it look more like a Bronco.
Looks like I'll be keeping my 97. 3.4, 5 speed manual, 18-25 mpg. Granted it's a bit slower. But at 3800 pounds vs the new 6000 pounds I guarantee that I can fit and climb to places the new ones can't.
$85,000?
Originally Posted by ironbender
$85,000?

Yeah, but at 84 months and 8% interest it's a steal.
$85,000?

If that's msrp, it's insane
Gotta have that snorkel.
Turbo 4 cylinder? If so, easy pass.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Bronco is killin em in sales.

So they made it look more like a Bronco.

Couldn't sell me a Bronco.
SUV with turrets.

GreggH
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
$85,000?

If that's msrp, it's insane
It’s just a guess based on vehicle price trajectory, interest, and inflation the last, say, 3 1/2 years.
Originally Posted by devnull

Probably, they should do I nice inline 6, while im dreaming make it a diesel. Looked at 1 for my wife in 2019 when she said she wanted a smallish suv. I told her it had to have low range so that didn't leave us many options. We liked the 4runner until we drove one. We couldn't go for the poor milage with no power.

Bb
I've seen smaller screens at drive-in movie theaters.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

That stupid thing sticking up would be a deal breaker for me. The whole thing looks hideous.
Originally Posted by BigNate

That stupid thing sticking up would be a deal breaker for me. The whole thing looks hideous.

Those are millennial screens, will display everything except the vitals, oil pressure, tranny temp.. nope, nada

At least thats how my taco ma is
The motor looks like a can of worms. I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to work on it.
One thing I really love about the pictures in the article.... is how the tires are covered with dirt and mud, yet the wheels and the body of the vehicle is almost spotlessly clean!

Hey If I hit one of these big powerball lotteries, I might consider investing in one.

But I tend to think of it, in strange terms.... like pricing in my life time.

In Dec 1960, my parents bought a 3 bed room house, on a couple acres of land and paid $11,500 for it... I was in the third grade. Their payment was $81 a month. I went by the house when I was back east in Virginia two summers ago. The house had been sold for $1.1 million dollars, that summer. Metro Washington DC, in Northern VA.

So what would one of these 4 Runners cost me? Even if I paid cash for it.. no financing?

The last new vehicle I bought was in September 1987, which was a Toyota 4 Runner, a 1988 model SR 5, with the 22 RE and the 5 speed manual transmission. It listed for $17,500.00 I bought it for $14,000.00 new off the lot with 2 miles on the odometer. Still have it, and its got 590K plus on the odometer. Runs just fine. Had it in storage the last 6 months, since Oregon has started salting the roads on mountain passes. Recharged the battery, had put a bottle of "HEAT" in the fuel tank last fall, with 3/4s of a tank of fuel in it. Pumped the gas pedal twice and turned on the key, and it started right up.

If I hit the big lottery, I admit to I'd probably spend some money on myself and actually buy one of those. But I'm not holding my breathe for winning a big lottery, especially at this stage in my life. So I'll admire them from afar like I've been doing for the last 25 to 30 years. And I'm just fine with that...

Still will drive the 88 4Runner and the 2011 Tacoma 4WD, I bailed out a nephew on, when he didn't make the payments on it, so I just paid it off and took possession of it, since it was on the east coast and he was in Hawaii.. unemployed.
4 banger with a 8 speed transmission, no thanks. I'll take the tried and true v6 and 5 speed but I'd rather the V8 they put in the Gen 4s for a few years.
The Land Cruiser will be a better value... IF you can get one...
I am very familiar with the 4 cylinder hybrids... They are most impressive.

The 2025 4Runner is not a hybrid.
I'll just keep my '22 4 Runner 6 banger without the turbo 4.
Originally Posted by DBT
The motor looks like a can of worms. I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to work on it.

I'd hate to be the guy who has to pay for that thing to get worked on after the warranty expires!

Probably 2 or 3 hours of labor just to get at the engine. It's like they forgot stuff and just threw it on anywhere they could fit it.

In 2004 I got a new Tundra. Best truck I've ever owned. 2019 the wife got a new 4Runner and she loves it. Finally content with the vehicles we had, I thought that I'd never buy anything but Toyotas again.

Then they go and muck it all up with little turbos, giant lap tops stuck on the dash and plastic everywhere.

Guess I'm done with Toyota.
it can't beat this
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Originally Posted by DBT

I'd hate to be the guy who has to pay for that thing to get worked on after the warranty expires!

Probably 2 or 3 hours of labor just to get at the engine. It's like they forgot stuff and just threw it on anywhere they could fit it.

In 2004 I got a new Tundra. Best truck I've ever owned. 2019 the wife got a new 4Runner and she loves it. Finally content with the vehicles we had, I thought that I'd never buy anything but Toyotas again.

Then they go and muck it all up with little turbos, giant lap tops stuck on the dash and plastic everywhere.

Guess I'm done with Toyota.

Best take good care of what you have because all the manufacturers are moving in the same direction, forced by our government run by environmentalist wackos.

I figure if the Cubans can drive 70 year old vehicles, I can continue to patch my 20 year old ones. But that certainly is not a panacea.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I am very familiar with the 4 cylinder hybrids... They are most impressive.

The 2025 4Runner is not a hybrid.

There is a youtube video going over a 2025 TRD pro. It does have an option for hybrid. Might be in the upper levels, but definitely will be hybrid. Seem to remember him saying base line of 280hp and the hybrid having 310hp.

I want to see what the limited model will look like. One thing in the video, it has very little second row leg and head room. He also said there were 9 different variations. From base model SR5 up to whatever one has the supreme off road package with the snorkel. I will reserve judgement until I see the Limited. But, at first glance, not sure it will be for us with the lack of interior space.

Clyde
I just missed out on a '96 4 runner that was in awesome condition. Friends husband was selling it for 6k. Had all service records nicely in a binder in clear plastic pages. Of course it sold within a day.

I'm looking for a tacoma now for my son but they sure are proud of the used ones. Looking at ones in the late 'teens that didn't have the turbo but still have backup cams, brake assist. Even ones pushing 100k miles are in the 30k range.

What's powertrain warranty on a toyota these days? Toyota dealership by the house has 84month/100k on theirs. Didn't know if that was across the board or not.
No thanks,
I'll just keep putt-putting along my 99 Frontier and 04 Hoe.
Originally Posted by devnull

Yeah....dumb move.
Originally Posted by Raeford
No thanks,

First truck I ever bought with my own money out of highschool was the 4 door when they came out, mine was a 99 or a 00. I babied that thing....I was proud of it. It had more problems, heat shields always breaking, transmission control modules, real main seals, blown head gasket. I think some time in the late 90s was about the last of the good nissans. Everyone I have known who has bought a nissan since has had a ton of issues whether it be pathfinders, altimas, maximas. Buddy bought an '06 frontier because he loved mine but he added a transmission cooler and its still running, but it only has about 50k on it by now, only uses it when hunting.
From reviews I've read of the 4runner, I think I'd spent a few more G's and get a Lexus GX 550.
Originally Posted by killerv
No thanks,

First truck I ever bought with my own money out of highschool was the 4 door when they came out, mine was a 99 or a 00. I babied that thing....I was proud of it. It had more problems, heat shields always breaking, transmission control modules, real main seals, blown head gasket. I think some time in the late 90s was about the last of the good nissans. Everyone I have known who has bought a nissan since has had a ton of issues whether it be pathfinders, altimas, maximas. Buddy bought an '06 frontier because he loved mine but he added a transmission cooler and its still running, but it only has about 50k on it by now, only uses it when hunting.

238K with no major issues on the V6 or manual trans.
It's my 5th Datsun/Nissan PU going back to a 76 Datsun.
None have had any major issues.
I'm just going to keep it and the Tahoe up.
Not going to trade in my 2021 anytime soon.
Originally Posted by BigNate

My thoughts also. It looks way too big and out of place.
They will be selling them faster than they can make them....
No thanks,

238K with no major issues on the V6 or manual trans.
It's my 5th Datsun/Nissan PU going back to a 76 Datsun.
None have had any major issues.
I'm just going to keep it and the Tahoe up.

Yeah, if not mistaken, the 04 didn't have the cylinder shutoff yet, their engines have been down hill ever since.
All that off road capability for folks that NEVER get off road.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Don't forget, you have to add the traction boards somewhere to it to look cool, all the ones I see have never been used.

Actually bought a set a few months back, literally used them the first week when a buddy called me that he was stuck. A tow truck won't leave the paved road where we are at. Saved him a bunch of money and trouble. They worked like a champ and there were cheap ones.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

It even comes in automatic - for the ladies.

GR
Yeah, if not mistaken, the 04 didn't have the cylinder shutoff yet, their engines have been down hill ever since.

04 was either the last year or next to last without if I'm not mistaken.

5.3/327 gets up to 20MPG/Highway
It has 188K on it and still as smooth as silk driving.

On the 4Runners they seem to be chick rides these days[along w/Jeeps], that's about all that I see driving the newer ones around here.
That 2025 4Runner is one ugly rig. 4 cylinders are fine if you hauling you and your spouse or another person but loaded down with gear it will not perform so well. Well, it will but the engine will probably be doing 10,000 rpms.
I have a 2018, and I replaced the brakes, and a bum battery. Drivers seat shows some wear with the fake leather interior, and I have some paint chips typical of bad primer used with white paint. Toyota won't cover the paint, but for me it is minor.
I get 20-21 mpg in the rural hills around here. With 115K miles it is in excellent condition. For me it is better than a pickup because I have a nice big aluminum trailer for hauling, and I like the enclosed back end of the 4Runner for every day dog hikes, and locking up rifles.
I tried trading it this year on the last of the 4.0 V6, and they would only give me 20K, so I walked. I think I can get 10 more years out of the 2018, so I am pretty content. Shame I have the cash from selling a Corvette and my Outback sitting in a CD.
The Highlander had had the same 2.4T since 2023, and the reviews on that engine are neutral. No mechanical issues so far, and about 1 mpg more than the 3.5L V6. I saw another 2.4T video from the toyota tacoma design manager, and he said the new 2.4T is about the same as the 3.5V6, but it saves the world by emitting less CO2.
So I don't see a consumer advantage to the 2.4T vs the 4.0/3.5 V6, with basically the same power and mileage.
For vanity I might get a new one in a year or two after the engine has been vetted. It would be real hard to risk a new platform with the 2018 being so solid. I even thought of a Tundra, but the SUV form factor suits me better.

2.4T highlander overview. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a43353345/2023-toyota-highlander-2-4-turbo-by-the-numbers/
The 4Runners before 2025 are so ugly people don't sell them.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ole fart here......

Can't see paying that kinda bucks for any vehicle

Pic.....'89 4Runnr I bought new in '89

Last of the 2 doors

Paid $13K OTD for that truck in SLC from Wagstaff Toyota

Thing was a chic magnet with the Trek mtn bike on the roof....

Wanna real Toyota....but a V8 Land Cruiser....pic 2

Had to post that just for the Toyota hater's club

Originally Posted by tikkanut

Sweet...

Iffing I ever gets ta Oregon... I'll rides with ya...
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Don't forget, you have to add the traction boards somewhere to it to look cool, all the ones I see have never been used.

Actually bought a set a few months back, literally used them the first week when a buddy called me that he was stuck. A tow truck won't leave the paved road where we are at. Saved him a bunch of money and trouble. They worked like a champ and there were cheap ones.

Better to have the boards........than not

I carry 10 gallons extra fuel for the dumm fhhuck tourons here in Utah

$10 gallon........

Unless you're a 24 HR member.......

Then its only $9/gallon.......(:

Sweet...

Oregone ?

What ya smokin' pard ?

Sweet...

Oh yea

reservations required
Too bad they won't bring this to the U.S. market with the 4.5L diesel. I would prefer one of these over anything Toyota has in the U.S. market today:

[Linked Image from toyota.com.au]

Ole fart here......

Can't see paying that kinda bucks for any vehicle

Pic.....'89 4Runnr I bought new in '89

Last of the 2 doors

Paid $13K OTD for that truck in SLC from Wagstaff Toyota

Thing was a chic magnet with the Trek mtn bike on the roof....

Wanna real Toyota....but a V8 Land Cruiser....pic 2

Had to post that just for the Toyota hater's club

You probably only paid 20k for that land cruiser with low miles (278k) lol
© 24hourcampfire