Home
Posted By: Muffin Found in the buttstock....... - 04/12/24
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
that’s completely bad ass, I would frame that guy and put it in my gun room, reloading room, that’s pretty cool!
😎👍
What butt did that come from?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
What butt did that come from?

Brother picked up an old Wards - Hercules single shot 16ga..
Posted By: BCBH Re: Found in the buttstock....... - 04/12/24
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/137148526/clifford-vernon-vogel
CLIFFORD VOGEL
Springhill, FL
December 31, 1921 - December 20, 2013

CLIFFORD VOGEL Obituary
VOGEL, CLIFFORD 91, of Brooksville, passed away on Friday, December 20, 2013 at HPH Hospice Care Center in Brooksville. He was born in Washington Island, Wisconsin, and was a Coast Guard veteran, a retired television engineer and an avid golfer. Clifford is survived by his loving wife of 23 years, Rita, son, Clifford, two grandchildren, one great grandchild, and sister-in-law, Linda, and her husband, Al Bozzi.
That's a cool find. I found the very first year Kentucky hunting license in a bunch of old papers in the attic of a garage that was my old home place. It was bought on auction in the 1960's with everything in it from the estate of an old man born in the 1880s. when you find something like that, it is a connection to the past and makes you realize they were just like us in most ways.
So, if the warden demanded his license, he'd have to unscrew the butt plate in order to access it?
That’s really a cool find! He lived a long full life.
any thoughts on reaching out to the Vogel's ?...
5'7 1/2 "

Take it easy there, stretch.
Cool find.

As mentioned already,it would be a cool addition to the reloading room, man cave, or wherever.
Better than a concert ticket stub!

ETA: We need a pic of the gun too!
Originally Posted by Morewood
5'7 1/2 "

Hey, every half inch matters. 😁

Cool find Muffin.
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
5'7 1/2 "

Hey, every half inch matters. 😁

Cool find Muffin.
That's what she said.
That’s pretty awesome…

Somewhat similar but I heard that on the Swiss issued K-31 rifles the owner would sometimes keep his personnel info in the same place..

I removed the buttplate from mine and lo and behold found this
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Certifiable
That’s pretty awesome…

Somewhat similar but I heard that on the Swiss issued K-31 rifles the owner would sometimes keep his personnel info in the same place..

My grandfather did that to his guns, I have his Savage 99, 22 HP, Takedown, 1919 issue, and his name/address tag from the butt....
Very cool find. Served in US Coast Guard WW II. Another of the Greatest Generation has passed.
I have my grandfather's hunting rifle, it had a couple of his hunting licenses in the butt, they are still there.
Morewood: YOU.... may try to make fun of short of stature men but THEY usually get the last laugh as they live a lot longer than taller men (witness Mr. Vogel's longevity above - 91 years old at the time of his passing - compare that to the average male lifespan!)!
Don't believe me head on down to the nearest retirement home and take stock of the heights of the most elderly men therein.
At 6' 3" I sometimes wish I could trade 4 or 5 inches in height for 4 or 5 more years of life - think about that the next time you to try to besmirch modest height people.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
It would be pretty neat to get that to one of his kin.
I found an old guys hidden stash in a Savage 67 pump. He had rolled up $30 and stuck in the chamber. The gun was given to me because it was said to not function. The bolt was seized up and they thought it was loaded. After dousing it down with penetrating oil and a swift tap of a cleaning rod the bolt popped open. A $20 and $10 dated to the early 80s. Not quite as vintage but still cool to me.
I got nothing against short guys. Hell I'm certainly not tall myself.

It was that extra half inch on the license that I found humorous. RIP Mr. Vogle
There was a old outdoor book in used to have that was printed in the 50s I believe and it recommended pulling the buttplate off drilling a few holes for a survival kit and extra ammo
Found a $2 bill inside one i took off to put a recoil pad on
I found my father's license from 1952 in the buttstock of his old Nitro King 12 gauge.
Most K-31's have a name and address of the previous owners under the buttplate.
The latest one I have was owned by a dude in Bern in the late 1940's.
How cool is that. Mr. Vogel lived a long life. God Bless Him.
That’s pretty awesome…

Cert, I don't recognize his abbreviations.
Originally Posted by cv540
CLIFFORD VOGEL
Springhill, FL
December 31, 1921 - December 20, 2013

CLIFFORD VOGEL Obituary
VOGEL, CLIFFORD 91, of Brooksville, passed away on Friday, December 20, 2013 at HPH Hospice Care Center in Brooksville. He was born in Washington Island, Wisconsin, and was a Coast Guard veteran, a retired television engineer and an avid golfer. Clifford is survived by his loving wife of 23 years, Rita, son, Clifford, two grandchildren, one great grandchild, and sister-in-law, Linda, and her husband, Al Bozzi.

For those not familiar with Florida geography, Spring Hill is somewhat of a golfer's paradise.
That’s awesome. I have 3 old licenses from fox river Illinois that were rolled up in a single shot crescent 16ga dated 1929, 1930, 1931. Picked it up at auction and tried to track down any relation with no luck. So they are in a picture collage in my basement. Love seeing the old stuff
Cool. I found something like that in the butt stock compartment of my 03-A3 rifle from when it was first decommissioned and sold to a civilian, an official government document. It had the man's name and address on it, too.
Wow! The guy lived over a hundred years of age.
What a cool story.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Huh ?
Small snips of personal history are the best. Neat find there.

The thread is a little depressing though. 6'4" here.

Winner winner big ole chicken for dinner.
Originally Posted by pabucktail
It would be pretty neat to get that to one of his kin.

nother vote for this.
Posted By: TLB2 Re: Found in the buttstock....... - 04/13/24
I found a piece of grocery bag with a note written inside the stock on a 1148 28 gauge I bought.

I cant remember name but it was dated 1957 Lisban IA I think
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Huh ?
LOL. Read it wrong. But still, over 90 is impressive.
My DD214 at age 21 indicated 5'9" 132 lbs. Gained 30 lbs., lost almost 3". Pretty common by age 80s.
I have my father's first hunting license that he first purchased in Nov 1917 for the state of Missouri Cost was $1.00 and had to be purchased at he the county seat in Lebanon, mo. He rode the Frisco railroad train thirty miles to pick it up. Large official certificate signed by the county clerk. GW

Haven't you guys ever noticed that someone who thinks they are short or have a short person complex, that they always list their height as "whatever" and a half an inch. Its like that 1/2 inch is more important than the rest of their height.

I'd bet that Schtick lists his height as "XX" and 1/2 inches.

Its just guys.... women never seem to be "and 1/2 inches" in height.
He was 17 when he filled it out, and indicated 5' 7 1/2"

There was all kinds of stupid schidt I thought was important at 17.
I found a gunsmithing receipt in a buttstock from 50 years ago. It had the customers name and address on the receipt. I looked him up and called the number I found, and he answered!

He was suspicious of some guy from Oregon calling him until I told him about the Savage 99 rifle. He remembered it and said it shot very well. He couldn't remember what the gunsmithing was for, but the barrel was ported so I suspect that was it.

We talked hunting and Savages for a bit. Who keeps the same phone number for 50 years? Holy smokes.
Looks like he was just 18 when he was using that gun. It may have been his, it may have been loaned by a family member or friend.

It's still really neat. I would frame it and keep it.
Very cool find!

I have every HL ever purchased, son or grandson will maybe come across some day the road.
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Most K-31's have a name and address of the previous owners under the buttplate.
The latest one I have was owned by a dude in Bern in the late 1940's.

BB I had also heard this was somewhat “common” but the 3-4 other K-31’s in the family came up empty
Originally Posted by local_dirt
That’s pretty awesome…

Dirt!! How you been sir…

It was a few years ago so don’t trust my memory but I as I had researched it at the time I want to say it was….

Name

“Branch/unit” he was part of

Town/street he resided on
Originally Posted by local_dirt
That’s pretty awesome…

Dirt!! How you been sir…

It was a few years ago so don’t trust my memory but I as I had researched it at the time I want to say it was….

Name

“Branch/unit” he was part of

Town/street he resided on

Very cool stuff, Cert.

I'm hanging in there, my friend.
I have found several notes in the buttstock of firearms. Mostly just the name of a past owner.

Someone is going to be surprised one day when they take the buttstock off this Browning T-Bolt.

Originally Posted by BamBam
that’s completely bad ass, I would frame that guy and put it in my gun room, reloading room, that’s pretty cool!

Totally agree!
Cool find! Should start taking the butt plates off all my guns... Lol
Originally Posted by Reloder28
So, if the warden demanded his license, he'd have to unscrew the butt plate in order to access it?
Nope. They normally did this with the expired license from the previous year/years.
Good work BCBH.
Originally Posted by BamBam

That or send it to his kid.

I bet he taught someone that trick.

I checked an old ‘50’s shotgun I have; nada.

As for height, it has been suggested I live and work where I do because I can feel tall here….. grin

Ole Vogel was 18 at the time. For a kid who was just recently growing and/or watching his buddies do the same, I could see a guy wanting to stretch it.

or, he was honest, and couldnt bear to write 5'8"

Very cool find. I'd reach out to a vogel.
© 24hourcampfire