Home
Posted By: Ringman stocking a pond - 04/13/24
What's the best fish for stocking a pond in Southern Oregon between the coast range and the Cascades?
Posted By: slumlord Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Do you have a county agricultural extension agent?
Posted By: DavePrice Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Tilapia, if it doesn't freeze.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
One of the best eating fish is the freshwater perch. Had it 20 years ago in Troy Montana . They don’t get big, but they are mild tasting. Would also make a good food source for bigger fish. You might want to read more so you don’t have any regrets. Best of luck! Sounds fun.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by slumlord
Yeah, something along those lines.

And check with the ODFW to see what's legal..............or take you chances if the pond fails and you introduce a non-native fish into a salmon/steelhead watershed. They'd not be happy with you.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Get the water analyzed before you put any fish in.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Been thinking on this. Pond design might lend itself better to certain fish. Depth, and a place for fish to spawn. Got any pics? Hastings would be a good source of knowledge .
Posted By: RAS Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Do the fish have appropriate cover in the pond? A few cormorants will take off any bright idea real quick. And don’t think that you will get them with a shotgun. The damn things are smart. They will wait until you leave the house before a raiding fish party.

Don’t ask how I know.
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
I'd google "pond stockers in my area" and see what the results are.

Our local pond stockers come up from LA and have suggested lists/combinations of what works in our area. They'll have a route and set days that they'll be passing through. Around my area the normal combination is; LM Bass, Crappie, and Bluegill.

Don't forget about "maintenance", we routinely put in 20 grass carp a year to keep the weeds down on our 9 acre pond
Posted By: hillestadj Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Mako
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
PondBoss.com
Posted By: Nestucca Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by Ringman
What's the best fish for stocking a pond in Southern Oregon between the coast range and the Cascades?

Are you going to build a scaled down version of the Ark to go in it?
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
I would think bluegill, largemouth bass and bullhead. Most ponds aren’t very deep and can have winter kill. Gill’s, bass and bullheads are all tough and adapt well to small water. If anything you’ll have to weed them out to keep from having too many and small stunted fish.
Posted By: Westman Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
How big is the pond?

If it's big enough I agree with bluegill and bass. Large enough pond could also support catfish.
Posted By: CCCC Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
The advice about consulting fish- knowledgeable local G&F or county extension folks is very good. When I decided to create a big windmill fed pond at 8k elevation in the SW, and before I did a bunch of excavation/dozer work, two such folks were pleased - even eager - to take a look and advise. Wound up with a good result - plenty deep at one end for coldest part of winter, good spawning space at other end, some protective cover, etc. - and fish to fit.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Maybe pray for some fish.

Works for socket sets I hear....
Posted By: earlybrd Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
It don’t take much for cats
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
What kind of fish will Oregon let you put in your own pond? What do other people in your area stock that does well there?
Here I would stock minnows, then Bluegill, Redears, Largemouth Bass.
Posted By: SDLEFTY Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Don't forget your predator fish. If it's big enough, get some sterile ones like tiger muskie. Also, they have a sterile carp to help clean the edges. Make sure you have access to minnows as well. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm planning one as well.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
What do you want and how much effort and money are you willing to invest.

Thow some pan fish, bass, and cats in that you catch somewhere.

There will be fish in your pond, and that's all many want.

Otherwise, analysis of water quality and exchange, advice from the extension agent,
advice from stockers...will set you up with a working ecology.

Even then, you likely can't build a functioning circular ecology that repopulates.
Posted By: funshooter Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Had a neighbor in Arizona that put a pond on his property.
I asked him if he went the Fed. Gooberment program way of Stocking his Pond.
He told me that there were way to many strings attached with the Federal program
He went to the State and they told him what he could have and he purchased them direct from them.

That was around 6 years ago and he has to many for the size of his pond.

When I get my pond up and running I will be approaching him about purchasing some of his fish from him.

Good Luck with how it works out for ya.

had a neighbor
Posted By: Huntz Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by Valsdad

And check with the ODFW to see what's legal..............or take you chances if the pond fails and you introduce a non-native fish into a salmon/steelhead watershed. They'd not be happy with you.

You would be better off calling up your local DNR and getting hold of a fish biologist .
Posted By: Rugies Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
I have built three ponds. I always stock fathead minnows for the base of the food chain, the year after stock your game fish they will have plenty to eat. Ypu will also find fish you did not stock . I think the birds or other critters bring eggs from other waterways.
Originally Posted by Huntz

You would be better off calling up your local DNR and getting hold of a fish biologist .
ODFW, the Oregon Dept of FISH and Wildlife is where one would go to get hold of a fish biologist.

It's likely the OP, living in Oregon, knows who ODFW is and that they deal with FISH

Oregon does not seem to have a DNR, "natural resources": seems to fall under the Ag dept.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/NaturalResources/Pages/Default.aspx
Ringman,

you may want to consider something else

Where are you getting the water to fill your pond? You may want to find out if you need a permit, if you haven't done so already, to fill the darn thing once built. Do you have rights to the water you're going to use?

Some interesting info here

https://www.schwabe.com/publication/oregon-water-law-questions-and-answers/

Who owns the water?

Oregon law provides that all water is publicly owned. With only a few exceptions, a water right is required before any person (including a city, business or other entity) may divert water from its natural course and put it to “beneficial use.”
Posted By: smokepole Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24

ODFW, the Oregon Dept of FISH and Wildlife is where one would go to get hold of a fish biologist.

It's likely the OP, living in Oregon, knows who ODFW is and that they deal with FISH

Oregon does not seem to have a DNR, "natural resources": seems to fall under the Ag dept.

Damn, it's nothing short of amazing how you figured that out. I would've just gone on the internet and posted a question.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Maybe pray for some fish.

Works for socket sets I hear....

You're thinking of loaves.
Ringman,

Where are you getting the water to fill your pond? You may want to find out if you need a permit, if you haven't done so already, to fill the darn thing once built. Do you have rights to the water you're going to use?

Who owns the water?

Oregon law provides that all water is publicly owned. With only a few exceptions, a water right is required before any person (including a city, business or other entity) may divert water from its natural course and put it to “beneficial use.”
Is it that complicated out west? That’s an honest question. I’ve never heard of filling a pond with water. It seems like that would require a crazy number of trucks to fill and keep full.

In this part of the country ponds are dug and the water table fills it. Digging out a pond in regions where the water table can’t fill it wouldn’t seem feasible.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Is it that complicated out west? That’s an honest question.

It is. Here, you're not even supposed to collect rainwater off your roof.

Water is scarce over much of the west. Seven states are now trying to work out how to divvy up water from the Colorado River. If people in Colorado diverted the water that originates here, downstream users would be royally screwed.
Posted By: Rapier Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Depth and size determine the fish type. Bass require cooler water, thus depth. Buegill, love warm shallower water. You need to make shelves for shallow water grass that allows fresh water shrimp to grow, they are the base of the food chain.
If you have no connection to running water, creek or river, it is an agricultural pond and beyond government control. However put in a dam, with run off, and that brings them back into play.

I have two ponds, the wading birds bring fish and frog eggs with them. a their legs. The herons are protected and will raid your fish ponds. We have bald eagles come fishing, also.
Posted By: hosfly Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Dang eagles will flat do a number on fish that come to surface,,, anything under 2 bs are in danger,,
Posted By: stxhunter Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by funshooter
Had a neighbor in Arizona that put a pond on his property.
I asked him if he went the Fed. Gooberment program way of Stocking his Pond.
He told me that there were way to many strings attached with the Federal program
He went to the State and they told him what he could have and he purchased them direct from them.

That was around 6 years ago and he has to many for the size of his pond.

When I get my pond up and running I will be approaching him about purchasing some of his fish from him.

Good Luck with how it works out for ya.

had a neighbor
here if the state stocks it you have to allow access to the public.
Posted By: BMT Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Southern Oregon can get hot.

A shallow pond in Medford will get too hot for trout

Normally trout are in ponds north of Grants Pass (rainy section of Oregon)

So
Local weather conditions will matter

Where is this pond exactly?
Originally Posted by smokepole

Damn, it's nothing short of amazing how you figured that out. I would've just gone on the internet and posted a question.

See that award there in my avatar space.........................

it ain't there fer nuthin' bub.

Water is scarce over much of the west. Seven states are now trying to work out how to divvy up water from the Colorado River. If people in Colorado diverted the water that originates here, downstream users would be royally screwed.
And we have RIGHTS, dammnit!

Rights? You live in California 😂
Posted By: earlybrd Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
How deep is it?
Ringman,

Who owns the water?

Is it that complicated out west? That’s an honest question. I’ve never heard of filling a pond with water. It seems like that would require a crazy number of trucks to fill and keep full.

In this part of the country ponds are dug and the water table fills it. Digging out a pond in regions where the water table can’t fill it wouldn’t seem feasible.

Yeah, as smokepole points out it's complicated. Not only from a water standpoint but from an aquatic organism standpoint too. A pond stocked with non-native predatory fish, or even just "minnows" , located in a watershed that doesn't already have those species, may or may not be allowed depending on the site ( and maye which State your pond is in) . Especially if you want to put the pond in a watershed that has listed aquatic species.

Depending on location, digging a pond down to the water table would be problematic. Would have to be an awfully deep pond here to hit water, as in 60'+ here in a wet year and we're on the valley floor. We ain't flat like some other States, neither is Southern OR where the OP is. Ponds would then have to be filled with runoff (which someone else might have rights to) or well water, which in some States is already a permitted deal.

Unfortunately, experience has shown that ponds fail and fish etc get out into the local waters, or folks get tired of their pond and drain it but don't want to kill their fish and down the pipe they go too. Ooops, grass carp now in a watershed that didn't have them previously. Not every State wants flying carp in their rivers/lakes.

Someone earlier in the thread (Dillon???) mentioned catching some fish and putting them in your pond. Don't get caught doing that in some states, that'll cause trouble for sure. Especially if those fish, and the water used to get them home to the pond, came from waters with hydrilla, or non-native mussels and crawdads and such.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Our neighbor cleaned out a mud hole.
It's a really nice little lake now. Probably a half acre.
Two years now and it's doing great.

I'm thinking "copper nose bluegill"!
Grow fast, great eating, tough little fish.

Well, if you're an early settler you have water rights at least.

I have a seasonal creek with two branches joining on our property. I cannot stop or impede that water from getting downstream as I don't have the rights to it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This water flows in from the other side of the property, off BLM land. I can't stop or impede it either. Goes under the road and into the creek after it flows onto the neighbor's place.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I can, at least in this State for the moment, collect rain water that falls on the hard surface roofs of our house and outbuildings.

And of course, everyone has the "right" to camp on public property like sidewalks and stuff eek eek
Posted By: dassa Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Carp.

I always thought it was a meatball, since you're eye-talian??

Actually, California has senior water rights to the Colorado.

Those sneaky bastards.

I always thought it was a meatball, since you're eye-talian??

Beaver award?--------------Meatball?---------------------???

about the only difference is I could eat the meatball.
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by hosfly
Dang eagles will flat do a number on fish that come to surface,,, anything under 2 bs are in danger,,

Yup, and at $10+ per grass carp it sucks..

Luckily eagles kind of suck at fishing, something like a 30% success rate per diving "swoop". The osprey's are a whole different story, a definite "dive" very effective and fun to watch.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: stocking a pond - 04/13/24
Do you have a local college with a decent biology/environmental science department nearby? If so, contact the head of the department and see if he is willing to put together an assessment team to give you a full profile of your pond. There are a ton of variables that go into the assessment including nighttime O2 levels, how far down the light penetrates, plant and algae in the water, water chemistry and what minerals that are on the bottom of the pond.

When I was in college the local lake owners were begging us for our services and in turn we usually got a research paper out of it.

Good luck!
Posted By: Dutch Re: stocking a pond - 04/14/24

eagles
ospreys
great blue herons
crested night herons
seagulls
king fishers
cormorants
if the pond is big, pelicans (God help you)

Then:
mink
otters
coons

2 lbs is not a safe limit. I've seen pelicans killed with 26" trout inside. Otters will take anything they want.

Once a critter discovers the buffet, they tend to invite all their buddies for a party.....

Don't get caught shooting any of them, except the coons....
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: stocking a pond - 04/14/24
Until the last 20 years eagles and Ospreys didn’t exist here.
They sure do now.

The buffet was mentioned, once they find it they don’t fill their belly. They pretty much stay as long as they can find food. Their success rates aren’t great either, you will find stabbed fish that escaped to die later. Totally wasted.

First I heard of the problem was a sportsman’s club that raises and stocks trout, under the eye of PFC. The warden was there looking things over and saw Herons at the tanks.

Immediately pissed he commented on them, and was told they were doing everything they could think of, “But we can’t get rid of them, and they are protected.”

“Yeah, they are. Federal crime, huge fines. Be a damn shame if one flew through your archery range and got killed.
If the Feds found out there would be a big stink.”

The Herons soon disappeared.

I know of two guys who had problems with them in private ponds. Both found ways to solve their problems, just like rural farmers have for centuries.
Posted By: Ringman Re: stocking a pond - 04/16/24
I forgot to thank you guys for posting. There's a lot of good information here and I'll be able to use it.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: stocking a pond - 04/16/24
I'd listen to Geno.

Ymmv
Posted By: Raeford Re: stocking a pond - 04/16/24
Originally Posted by Dutch

eagles
ospreys
great blue herons
crested night herons
seagulls
king fishers
cormorants

Then:
mink
otters
coons

Add piranhas to the mix[they'll help with the 4 leggers].
Posted By: slumlord Re: stocking a pond - 04/16/24
Church out-west types that act churchy but don’t go to church.
Posted By: slumlord Re: stocking a pond - 04/16/24
Originally Posted by Raeford

eagles
ospreys
great blue herons
crested night herons
seagulls
king fishers
cormorants

Then:
mink
otters
coons

Add piranhas to the mix[they'll help with the 4 leggers].

Pfft

Mennonites will clean a pond out way faster
Posted By: Dutch Re: stocking a pond - 04/16/24
Lol, back when I stocked ponds, the stories I would hear about people sneaking in to a neighbor’s pond to catch stocked trout……. You can kinda understand the young kids, but some were grown-assed men!

People lose their mind when there’s big fish involved.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: stocking a pond - 04/16/24
Are we talking about Bristoe again? grin
Posted By: Valsdad Re: stocking a pond - 04/16/24
Lol, back when I stocked ponds, the stories I would hear about people sneaking in to a neighbor’s pond to catch stocked trout……. You can kinda understand the young kids, but some were grown-assed men!

Folks sneaking in to some of the places I worked to catch old brood fish with worn down fins and rounded noses!

But, the one place had some lakers pushing 25lbs. Boss would keep them about 13 years, then stock them in L Ontario.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: stocking a pond - 04/16/24
Originally Posted by Jcubed
I'd listen to Geno.

Ymmv
That's a scary thought.

I'm not even sure I should be listening to me.
Posted By: Dutch Re: stocking a pond - 04/17/24

Folks sneaking in to some of the places I worked to catch old brood fish with worn down fins and rounded noses!

But, the one place had some lakers pushing 25lbs. Boss would keep them about 13 years, then stock them in L Ontario.

Oh, yeah, I had one guy that would buy all my cull broodstock every spring and stock this +/- 1 acre pond. Family vacation home kinda thing. Bunch of ratty looking males and a few big pot bellied females. One year, a 16 year old nephew hooks a 8 or 10 lb steelhead strain trout. The kid carried it around for HOURS, so proud of himself.

As I’m listening to the story, I’m having a hard time keeping the “WTF, dude” look off my face. People are WEIRD about big fish.
Posted By: Ringman Re: stocking a pond - 04/17/24
Sixty-one years ago I snuck into the neighbors farm pond. It was also about an acre. He had stocked a few years before. I knew I hooked a whopper right away because almost immediately it jumped and I could see it was big. I was using 4 lb line at the time so it took a little bit to get it to the shore. I don't know what it weighed but it was 29 in long.

Nana baked it for us.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: stocking a pond - 04/17/24
lol, how many other places have you snuck into?
Posted By: Ringman Re: stocking a pond - 04/17/24
Originally Posted by stxhunter
lol, how many other places have you snuck into?

Otay Lake was a bass hatchery. Maybe it still is. About that same age I snuck in there. I made thirty-two casts with a white feather jig and landed thirty fish about 17"-18". I threw them all back. I was using two-pound test there. Now that I'm remembering...I heard the pickup truck coming so hid behind a bush next to the water. I was all camoed out so most likely nearly invisible to someone not looking for camo. I could hear the guy walking back and forth near his pickup.

There I was no more than three feet from the water. While I hid, maybe five minutes, an adult bass swam by about three feet from shore. It was at least twenty-four to twenty-five inches long. What a rush!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: stocking a pond - 04/17/24
Upper Otay Reservoir was used as a hatchery of sorts for Florida strain largemouths. Fish were captured there and moved into other waters in the San Diego municipal water system

As far as I know, going back to the late 60's/early 70's when I started fishing, Lower Otay Reservoir was open to the public for fishing.

About Upper Otay Reservoir

The smallest of the City of San Diego's impounding reservoirs, Upper Otay Reservoir was established in 1959 as a hatchery for the propagation and introduction of Florida-strain largemouth bass. Remarkably, 21 of the 25 largest bass in history were the progeny of the fingerlings used in that experiment. The reservoir has been open to the public since 1996. When full, Upper Otay Reservoir has 20 surface acres.

About Lower Otay Reservoir

In 1897, the first Lower Otay Dam was completed by the Southern California Mountain Water Co. The Lower Otay Reservoir was connected to the City of San Diego's water system in 1906 via the Bonita Pipeline. Following heavy rains, the dam burst in 1916 and the Otay Valley was flooded. The dam was rebuilt in 1918 and renamed Savage Dam. When full, Lower Otay Reservoir has 1,100 surface acres, a maximum water depth of 137.5 feet, and 25 shoreline miles. Lower Otay Reservoir has a water storage capacity of 47,066.9 acre feet. Water levels are monitored weekly. The reservoir is the home of the United States Olympic Training Center for rowing sports.

Those are from sandiego.gov website for reservoirs. The links go wonky if I try to post them
© 24hourcampfire