Home
Posted By: dayton300 Looking at new tires. - 09/11/07
It's getting to be that time where my truck is in need of some new tires, so I thought I would ask for some input on this and what better place to do it than a hunting forum. My truck is a 2001 GMC Sonoma and I use it just like a regular hunter would, traveling down some minimum maintenance roads to get to that hunting spot without wanting to get stuck, right now I have Bridegestone Dueler A/T Revo on it, I've been happy with them, just wondering if there's anything else out there worth checking into.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/11/07
While I dont have any on my current truck I like Michelins.....get all terrains.
Posted By: JPro Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/11/07
I hear great things about those Revo's. I've been impressed with the durability and lack of road noise from my factory Goodyear ATS tires. They have 43,000 miles and look great. My truck weighs near 6,000 lbs, so that isn't too bad. Off-road is not really much to brag about, as I have buried them up several times. New tires won't be cheap for my Ford, as decent 275/70/R18's typically run about $200+ per tire.
Posted By: HunterJim Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/11/07
My Toyota Tundra goes in tomorrow for a Goodyear Fortera 265 70 R16 transplant. Another friend is already using them on his Tundra.

Check: http://www.tirerack.com/

for tire info...jim
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/11/07
Dayton Timberlines are what I've settled on. Great milage (with regular rotations), quite (for a mud tire) and reasonable priced. Lots a good tires out there, but I've found these the best "balance", at least on my Toyota 4x4's.
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/11/07
My advice is checkout the General Grabber AT2. Its a pretty aggressive all-terrain tire, much more so than pictures give them credit for. I have them on my 05 Ram Quad-Cab, and they have been dynamite, some road noise but not excessive at all. They also carry a 50,000 mile warranty [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/11/07
I was going to recommend Bridgestones when I saw your thread and then saw that you already have them.

I think Bridgestone tires represent excellent value compared to many other brands.

The only thing that I mightt suggest is,..getting some 8 ply tires instead of the more standard 6 ply.

I had some 8 ply Bridgestone tires on a pick up for quite a while and they're very resistant to punctures. I found quite a few nails and screws which had stuck in those tires and had obviously been there quite a while,.. but they never were able to penetrate the belts and cause a leak.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/11/07
Originally Posted by dayton300
right now I have Bridegestone Dueler A/T Revo on it, I've been happy with them, just wondering if there's anything else out there worth checking into.

Revo's are great.

One of our company work trucks(F250 diesel) has a set of them that just keep on going.
I was so impressed I bought a pair for my personal truck and haven't been disappointed. Finding a better tire may be tough.
Posted By: dayton300 Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/11/07
ThomasMagnum, I have checked into the General Grabber's, so how do they handle on the highway and have you had a chance to use them in the snow yet? The General Grabber's would run me about $100 cheaper versus going back to the Bridgestone Revo's.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/11/07
I always buy Michelins for my Tundra but my father loves Hankook Tires on his Ford F250. He gets good wear, good grip, low noise and are a lot cheaper than most. I'm not sure what style he buys but they make one that looks very close to a Michelin AT tread. I may give them a try next go around.

RH
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
I have BFG Long trail TAs on my 99 nissan Frontier. First set went 74,000miles, have 40k on the second set. Great in rain, snow, and moderate off road. wouldn't want to try mud, though.
Go to Discount Tires, buy your truck a set of GoodYear Wranglers, get the road hazzard insurance, never buy another set of tires. My truck is past 160,000 miles on the first purchase. Every replacement tire cost 18 bucks for the road hazzard fee. Nobody has better customer service than Discount Tires.
Posted By: Horsefly80 Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
I have a Chevy Silverado with To-yo M/T I like them allot balance nice and the price is not to bad under 200. Also had great luck with the To-yo A/T I would recommend aether.
Posted By: BMD Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
It's getting to be that time where my truck is in need of some new tires, so I thought I would ask for some input on this and what better place to do it than a hunting forum. My truck is a 2001 GMC Sonoma and I use it just like a regular hunter would, traveling down some minimum maintenance roads to get to that hunting spot without wanting to get stuck, right now I have Bridegestone Dueler A/T Revo on it, I've been happy with them, just wondering if there's anything else out there worth checking into.
Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain no question!
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
Michelins...
I go through tires on my work truck like crazy...Three or Four sets a year...Generals are junk...Firestones are ok but I had a set of Michelins that lasted a year plus...Goodyears ain't on my list of tires to buy either...
BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's are good tires if you take care of them...
I have Pro-Comp all terrains on my Tacoma. I am at 50k right now, and could use a new set before the snow flies.

I am convinced the only tire good in mud is a mud tire though. Never had a set of any brand of AT that was worth dick in mud.
Posted By: Mossy Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
BFG A/Ts

I've never had a set on a 1/2 ton rig that didn't go at least 50K miles. IIRC I've had 5-6 different sets. I currently have them on my '99 S10 Blazer. I'd also have them on my Dodge 3500 if they came in a 10 ply in the size I want.

They have great traction in just about anything other than deep mud,and really aren't all that loud.

Posted By: WyoJoe Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07

If they have a Peerless Tire store in your area I would start looking there. I run them on my vehicles and get good service & they are a decent value. I just put 4 on my pick up & with road hazard waranty, mount & balance it was about $404.
Posted By: BMD Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have Pro-Comp all terrains on my Tacoma. I am at 50k right now, and could use a new set before the snow flies.

I am convinced the only tire good in mud is a mud tire though. Never had a set of any brand of AT that was worth dick in mud.
I agree the all terrains are not good but the xtreme all terrains do well.
Posted By: pdxkevin Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
I used to swear by the BFG T/A KOs... these are probably the #1 tire used by most Jeeps.

The last two set of tires I bought were the new compound and design by Yokohama. The Geolandar MT+ is a seriously agressive looking tire that is well behaved on the road. I took them in the snow, mud, sand, rocks, grass, gravel, and pavement - they never let me down.

Several times I was asked by other guy's who made them and what I thought of them. I will buy them again. If I needed a set that was less aggressive looking and more of a street/light trail tire I would check out the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S.
Posted By: WGM Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
I've got a set of Cooper M+S tires on my Rover ... haven't had them all that long, but so far they seem to be very good at performing 'double duty' ... I am on the hwy a lot, so I didn't want big 'gumbo mudder knobby' tires, but also can't get away with street tires (obviously) if I'm going to be bouncing around the unpaved/wet/muddy areas ...

My work takes me to many jobsites, lots of the infrastructure ... so I'm constantly off the road on dirt/mud/etc so that I can inspect the jobs ...

Anyway, I have nothing but praise for these tires so far ... from cost, to durability (expected durability based on reviews and from a couple of people I know that are using them), to traction both on and off road ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: dayton300 Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
Originally Posted by BMD
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I agree the all terrains are not good but the xtreme all terrains do well.

Those Pro-Comp A/T tires look awesome except for one thing, looks like they don't make them in my size, 235/70/16.
for reference, the Coopers pictured in my above post are 255/65 R16's ...
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
I wouldn't recommend the Yokohama Geolander ATs. I bought a set for my truck and have had 3 separate so far, the last one cost me $3200! I have had 3 replaced for mileage warranty. I haven't heard back from Yoko if they are going to pony up for my body damage or not. These tires wear unevenly and scallop badly. Every time I pull up next to someone running them I give them a "once over", they are usually scalloped.

I have a set of yoko HTs on my wife's Tahoe and these have been great tires.

Don't expect AT tires to be mud tires, they aren't. Unless you are off-road a lot, buy some quite all-season tires that do well in rain and snow and forget the mud aspect.

I have a complete set of (6) BFG mudders mounted up that I switch out when I am going hunting in the winter.

I have never had a set of tires last me more than about 32K on any truck I have ever owned (except my Pete). Bridgestones are excellent tires, but expensive. Toyo makes an awesome AT tire.

I replaced my Yokos with Goodyear Wranglers, they are quieter and handle better on the highway. I haven't gotten stuck yet wink
dennis ...

you're talking about the same thing I'm talking about ... unless you need dedicated 'swampers', get some aggressive Mud-Snow type tires ...

those Coopers I've got are only about $200 per tire, are very quiet, and do exceptionally well on and off road except perhaps in the worst of muddy conditions ...
Posted By: horse1 Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
Hankook Dynapro MT03's

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Droptine Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
Originally Posted by horse1
Hankook Dynapro MT03's

[Linked Image]

I just put a set on the MT03's on my 4X4 Dodge. They aren't the smoothest riding tire out there but the will definitely go in the mud. We'll see how long they last.

DT
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
I bought some bridgestones and the sidewalls were so weak the truck swayed back and forth. I had them pulled and put another set on and they were ok. now I run michelins in 265x75x16 with the 6 ply sidewalls for pulling the boat and they are ideal. simply the best tire I have ever used. however, they are not an off road tire.
Posted By: Westman Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
I'm on my second set of Yokohama Geolanders and love them. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/12/07
Hey Dayton I haven't run them in any snow yet but they have been killer in the mud. My buddy has run his in the snow up in flagstaff Az, and says they were really good though. they have been better than any AT I have ever used. They work pretty well in the sand too. Highway is perfectly fine. I drive about 35 miles all highway on the way home everyday, they can be a bit noisy on concrete freeways, but those are noisy anyway. I bought the 265/70/17.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/14/07
In fact, they have discontinued the Geolander II and replaced it with an all weather (rain) tire.

My next set on the Tahoe are those high-dollar Goodyears (Fortura??)

Dennis
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/15/07
BFG a/t's.

Can't wait to chuck the stock tires on my ram 2500 4X4. Can't believe they'd put such a crappy tire on a 4X4, I got stuck 3 times last winter.
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/15/07
Just got a set of the khumo Mt 31x10.50's put on yesterday. Cant wait to try them out
[Linked Image]
I just bought michelin ltx for a 4runner after reading the customer reviews about them at www.discounttire.com . 80-100k miles on a set.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Looking at new tires. - 09/15/07
I've run through two sets of Bridgestong Dueler MT's now. Love that tire. Takes a serious beating in the rocks. Not a single flat yet. Load range C tire, which I wanted. Didn't want a D rated tire because I've got a stiff suspension on my vehicle, needed for the winch and heavy bumper, and didn't want an even stiffer tire making it's on highway ride worse.

Quiet for an MT and a good riding tire. Got great mileage out of both sets, about 60k miles each set. That's pretty darn good for an MT.

Unfortunately, they stopped making it in my size (265/75R-16), so I will have to go to something else.
© 24hourcampfire