Home
Posted By: jwp475 Bolt Rifle Blows UP On Hunter - 11/24/07

A 30 year old man hunting on the state game reserve in North La. today had the bolt of his rifle blown into his face while deer hunting.. I knew his father when I was growing up there. I do not know the young man and details are sketchy at this time..
Prayers on the way for the injured and his family
Originally Posted by jwp475

A 30 year old man hunting on the state game reserve in North La. today had the bolt of his rifle blown into his face while deer hunting.. I knew his father when I was growing up there. I do not know the young man and details are sketchy at this time..

Sako SS ?

Casey
I looked at a lot of Sako and Tikka blow up pics and all that I saw were barrel blow ups.

My guess would be a Mexican Mauser, Weatherby or a Blaser.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I looked at a lot of Sako and Tikka blow up pics and all that I saw were barrel blow ups.

The photos of the rifle in Utah showed the front of the receiver split wide open--it's a wonder the bolt didn't hit the shooter in the face.

Casey

Weatherby!!!If your going to make a guess at least try to make a educated one!!!.
Please post details when you have them.
I got a call, years ago, from a friend of a man near Tooele, Utah � a hunter but not a handloader � who'd had a factory load spit the bolt of his factory rifle back into his face as he lay prone, sighting-in just before opening day.

The bolt had entered his face just below his right eye, had gone down through his jaw and neck, had broken his collar bone, and had come to rest in his chest. Fortunately, he'd survived that horrible trauma. The friend called me to ask where the friend's lawyer should send the rifle, the ammo, the brass, etc, for forensic analysis.

I referred him to the H P White Laboratory and heard no more, directly, about the matter. From other sources, I learned later that the ammo was too hot and that the rifle was probably inherently inadequate to handle 'em indefinitely.

All the more reason for
� loading my own ammo � very carefully
and
� keeping my loads obviously mild.

I found out that he just purchased the rifle for this season, but I don't know if he purchased the rifle new or used, I don't believe that he is a hand loader. He is in serious condition and was air lifted to Shreveport.
I will post more details as soon as I have them
Originally Posted by joecool544

Weatherby!!!If your going to make a guess at least try to make a educated one!!!.

Amen!
Prayers sent!!!

I met someone who had a Perazzi blow up in his face. He told me they would not fix the shotgun but offered to replace it for a fee. Now you buy a nice shotgun and it blows up, and you have to pay for another one.
prayers sent.
Originally Posted by jwp475

What kind of rifle was it? What condition was it in? Was it an old war rifle, or something?
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
prayers sent.
Ditto from THW...
Posted By: WesJ Re: Bolt Rifle Blows UP On Hunter - 11/24/07
Had a guy here a few years ago put 43 or thereabouts grains of WW296 in his .30-06 Ruger M77. Broke the stock, extractor, and mostly out through the magazine well. Got a few pieces of brass in his face, and his glasses. Bolt was frozen shut, and it wound up as a show and tell for the 4-H Shooting Sports program. Don't know if any one tried to get it open.
Posted By: FVA Re: Bolt Rifle Blows UP On Hunter - 11/24/07

Scary stuff. If it was a Weatherby, there is starting to be a pattern.
Originally Posted by FVA

I was under the impression that Weatherbies, with their extra bolt lugs, were among the safest bolt guns ever made. What pattern are you referring to?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by FVA

I was under the impression that Weatherbies, with their extra bolt lugs, were among the safest bolt guns ever made. What pattern are you referring to?

I'm curious as well.
Posted By: FVA Re: Bolt Rifle Blows UP On Hunter - 11/24/07
While I've seen pic's of other rifles "blown up" I have read of at least two instances of Weatherby's having their bolt blown out the back with dire consequences. I think the issue is that while Weatherby's lugs add up in theory to alot of strength, they are in fact seldom all in contact and can set up a dominoe effect in a overload situation.
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by FVA

I'm curious as well.
Me too - does this mean we are really talking about Howa being responsible?

I think we'd better let the dust settle here before guessing which rifle gave up the ghost. First, let's hope the shooter is ok or will recover.

Second, I'm no expert on Mexican Mausers and I don't know what is meant by mentioning Wby's but I researched the "Blaser Blow-up(s)" which were all over the 'net a couple of years ago and the problem was determined to be with handloads which were hotloads -very hot. Blasers IIRC are tested to > 112k psi.

I hedged on the whether the blow-ups were plural or not because at the time there was so much hear-say going around about this one or that one; I could find but one documented one in Europe was it found by an independant group in Germany to have been an ammo problem.

gdv

Originally Posted by FVA
While I've seen pic's of other rifles "blown up" I have read of at least two instances of Weatherby's having their bolt blown out the back with dire consequences. I think the issue is that while Weatherby's lugs add up in theory to alot of strength, they are in fact seldom all in contact and can set up a dominoe effect in a overload situation.
Interesting. I've got two Mark Vs (a Fibermark and an Ultra Lightweight), and now I'm going to be thinking about the bolt flying into my face whenever I shoot them.
Prayers for the hunter and family...

Beretta 92s lost a few slides into heads also... Either a bad load, or faulty gun. [bleep] happens.... I hate that it goes right to liability right away. It happens to all makes.

We are literally playing with fire here, so when the number comes up, it comes up.

Jeff

On second nod here, I think I remember the possible Wby scenario: the nine little lugs don't all bear the load..or do so unevenly. Eventually those little guys doing the heavy lifting start to fail or so it goes; the concept then is, that there are few left to suddenly hold and may fail or may slowly "give way" as the first did.

While my explanation is technically challenged, I think that's what I've read. They should be checked, and perhaps lapped, squared so all are carrying the mail equally.

gdv
Why be so quick to jump to conclusions and immediately start to freak out? The two previous Weatherby bolts may have been due to handloader error or other issues not related to the rifle's integrity whatsoever.

Don't be so paranoid, do as other more reasonable people suggested, let the dust settle first before assuming incorrectly.

If true, then get paranoid, which I would rather call "a heightened awareness".....then your concerns are at least based on fact rather than BS sent on down the line.

Just calm down and you'll start to see things alot more clearly.
Originally Posted by magnumb
Why be so quick to jump to conclusions and immediately start to freak out? The two previous Weatherby bolts may have been due to handloader error or other issues not related to the rifle's integrity whatsoever.

Don't be so paranoid, do as other more reasonable people suggested, let the dust settle first before assuming incorrectly.

If true, then get paranoid, which I would rather call "a heightened awareness".....then your concerns are at least based on fact rather than BS sent on down the line.

Just calm down and you'll start to see things alot more clearly.
Very funny, Magnumb, but paranoia is perceiving that others are against you when they are not, such as taking a neutral and innocuous statement, and reading it as if directed at you as a personal attack. Concerns about defectively designed systems that could lead to serious injury fall into a different category.
There has been no mention of a defectively designed system as related to this particular incident, much less ANY mention of any possibility at this point.

Thousands of other Weatherby owners out there and hundreds, I would assume, that use this forum, me included. Being an alarmist, when absolutely no reason to do so, can't result in any positive or fact-based outcome....at this point.

If that concerned, give the folks at Weatherby a call when their doors open tomorrow mornin' and then if so inclined....let us all know what they say. Perhaps, if nothing else, it will allow you to be less scared about pullin' the trigger on your Weatherby's each time.

By the way, as per Mr. Webster, Paranoid - characterized by oversuspiciousness.

Seems applicable......

There has been no mention of a defectively designed system as related to this particular incident, much less ANY mention of any possibility at this point.

Thousands of other Weatherby owners out there and hundreds, I would assume, that use this forum, me included. Being an alarmist, when absolutely no reason to do so, can't result in any positive or fact-based outcome....at this point.

If that concerned, give the folks at Weatherby a call when their doors open tomorrow mornin' and then if so inclined....let us all know what they say. Perhaps, if nothing else, it will allow you to be less scared about pullin' the trigger on your Weatherby's each time.

By the way, as per Mr. Webster, Paranoid - characterized by oversuspiciousness.

Seems applicable......

Then I suggest you also look up the word suspiciousness.
My Weatherby statement to Savage 99 was meant to be he added it in with a junk action� Hell Weatherby makes one of the strongest and finest actions available. You guys are like a chicken with a bug. shocked
This was caused a few years back by a run of SS that had sulphur occlusions in the SS barrels. Only a limited number made it off the dealers shelves and Sako/Tikka was apparently able to recall all (most) of the rifles back. I remember reading about five "blow ups". Utah, California, Georgia, New Zealand, and I think Germany--where a young boy was injured fairly badly.

The top photos are as about as catastrophic failure as I have ever heard/seen in a modern bolt action.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/5771043?r=5771043#5771043

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/ph...amp;sid=f4018397ccc90185fe04ba351201f950

Casey

The story as it being reported.
Details are pretty sketchy.
One thing is certain, the young man is in a world of hurt.
He has my prayers.

Knoe--TV

A Local Hunter Seriously Injured

(November - 23 - 2007)

CALDWELL PARISH (TV) - A columbia man is lucky to be alive tonight after his gun accidentally blew up this morning while he was deer hunting, causing him serious facial injuries. TV 8's Julie Van Eman has reaction from his family and fellow hunters.

Gary Rider says it could have been worse and is grateful his nephew, Heath Rider, is alive after a hunting accident Friday morning on Boeuf Wildlife Management Area.
Witnesses say Rider's gun apparently malfunctioned and blew up in his face as he pulled the trigger.

Gary Rider says "Well one of my nephews was down there with him and he saw it and it blew him backwards and it knocked him out. When he got down there he thought he was dead because the way he looked and he was knocked out."

The impact caused serious injuries to Heath's face. Gary saw the 32-year-old hunter shortly after the incident and describes what he saw.

Gary says "The bolt when it came out went through the side of his face, it kind of took his face off."

Hunter, Duane Crews, says hearing of this accident brings back awful memories.

Crews says "It is disturbing and it brings back memories of a boy that was killed here six years ago and it is real sad."

Deer hunting season is in full swing right now and hunters says when they go into the woods their first priority is safety.

Crews says "Make sure your barrel is not obstructed, always wear you orange, make sure you have the right ammunition for your weapon or something bad might happen."

Crews says it is important to teach young hunters how to handle a gun.

Crews says "It is best to teach them gun safety from the get go and say they are not toys at all and not to play with them."

Gary also warns hunters to be more cautious.

Gary says "We all hunt and we our proud to practice gun safety but we are not as safe as we need to be."

Today's incident is now being investigated by Louisiana's Wildlife and Fisheries.
Posted By: Brad Re: Bolt Rifle Blows UP On Hunter - 11/25/07
I spent a pleasant hour talking with the late Dave Gentry last summer about action strength. Dave was a gun smithing/metalworking genius and a real experimenter. He's purposely blown up a lot of actions over the years and has had many blown one's sent to him for his collection, which I was happy to examine!

Anyway, his bottom line is there are only three actions he'll shoot without shooting glasses, the M98, Savage 110 and Weatherby MkV.

That's very interesting. I wear shooting glasses each time I shoot but with something as devastating as this sounds, shooting glasses may be too small a comfort.

Edited to add, Brad, was he just referring to powder gas blow-back in the raceways or total failure scenarios?

gdv
Originally Posted by FVA
� I have read of at least two instances of Weatherby's having their bolt blown out the back with dire consequences. I think the issue is that while Weatherby's lugs add up in theory to alot of strength, they are in fact seldom all in contact and can set up a dominoe effect in a overload situation.

That's what I believe to be the problem � especially with super-hot Weatherby ammo. One lug holds for a while, then another holds when that one cracks, etc.

Whatever the explanation may be, the facts are scary.
OK......"Suspiciousness", per Webster, "showing or expressing suspicion".

"Overly" - per the same, "too much or EXCESSIVELY".

Put together in as straightforward and easily understood manner as possible - "showing or expressing TOO MUCH or EXCESSIVE SUSPICION"......ala.....PARANOID - characterized by oversuspiciousness".

Your comments after learning of this unfortunate accident, compared with ALL others prior to the news link, over the top......at best. Over/overly.....yep, they'd be related.

Thanks for the suggestion, but seems it really wasn't necessary.........for me anyway.
Originally Posted by Brad
I spent a pleasant hour talking with the late Dave Gentry last summer about action strength. Dave was a gun smithing/metalworking genius and a real experimenter. He's purposely blown up a lot of actions over the years and has had many blown one's sent to him for his collection, which I was happy to examine!

Anyway, his bottom line is there are only three actions he'll shoot without shooting glasses, the M98, Savage 110 and Weatherby MkV.

Melvin Forbes actually tried to blow up one of his actions and could not. My memory may be faulty on the details but he even tried pistol powder. Locked everything up and ruined the barrel but the action held. I'll double check my facts and correct them if they're wrong as I remember them.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I got a call, years ago, from a friend of a man near Tooele, Utah � a hunter but not a handloader � who'd had a factory load spit the bolt of his factory rifle back into his face as he lay prone, sighting-in just before opening day.

The bolt had entered his face just below his right eye, had gone down through his jaw and neck, had broken his collar bone, and had come to rest in his chest. Fortunately, he'd survived that horrible trauma. The friend called me to ask where the friend's lawyer should send the rifle, the ammo, the brass, etc, for forensic analysis.

I referred him to the H P White Laboratory and heard no more, directly, about the matter. From other sources, I learned later that the ammo was too hot and that the rifle was probably inherently inadequate to handle 'em indefinitely.

All the more reason for
� loading my own ammo � very carefully
and
� keeping my loads obviously mild.

I am of the same opinion, Ken.

I had a mildly alarming experience when I bought my Winchester M70 FW in .270 WSM a couple years ago and took it to the range to play with some WW factory ammo (so I'd have brass to work up handloads with, naturally!). Also, whenever I buy a rifle in a new-to-me caliber, I like to find out what kind of performance factory ammo will yield before I start rolling my own.

Anyways, I fired two boxes of 130 gr ammo with decent results, cleaning the rifle regularly according to my usual barrel break-in procedure. After 40 rounds of 130's, I opened a box of 150's. After firing the first round bolt lift was very tight, and the primer was flattened with a little crater around the firing-pin indent. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought it must be a bad round, so chambered a second round and fired. This time, I had to pound the bolt handle up with a mallet to open the action, and the primer looked even worse than the first one.

I realized that Winchester factory ammo or not, it was NOT safe, even in a Winchester rifle. I took the box back to my local gunshop and showed the empty cases to the gunsmith. He mic'd the cases and his eyes about bugged out of his head. He went to the ammo shelves and pulled every box of WW 270 WSM 150 gr ammo immediately.

I haven't fired a round of factory 270 WSM since, but that would've been the case anyway.
Originally Posted by Brad

A real test of an action's design takes a lot more time and ammo than a test of its one-time strength. Many a rifle has withstood gobs of hot loads whose cumulative effect has finally let "one round" bind it up or blow it apart � as the legendary over-loaded camel could attest. ("The straw" wasn't just one straw but too many normal straws all a-bunch.)
I had some of that 150 gr WW PP 270 WSM factory ammo and a new Savage 12 (BV something). The initial bolt lift was very high. My dealer sent the rifle and ammo to Savage and all they did was to shoot it with Federal ammo and say it was ok.

I recall that the velocity, over a Oehler 35P, was higher than the listed factory load for the 270 Weatherby. It was something like 3350 fps.
The one rifle I've seen go, did just that YEARS of 257 wtby speeds out of a 2506.... and lucky it didn't loose the bolt when the one lug let go... enough so that the action could not be opened..

Jeff
OK......"Suspiciousness", per Webster, "showing or expressing suspicion".

"Overly" - per the same, "too much or EXCESSIVELY".

Put together in as straightforward and easily understood manner as possible - "showing or expressing TOO MUCH or EXCESSIVE SUSPICION"......ala.....PARANOID - characterized by oversuspiciousness".

Your comments after learning of this unfortunate accident, compared with ALL others prior to the news link, over the top......at best. Over/overly.....yep, they'd be related.

Thanks for the suggestion, but seems it really wasn't necessary.........for me anyway.
There is something seriously wrong with you, slick. I really think you need to get help. I'm not joking. I'm authentically concerned.
"� the straw � "

A straw that I pick my teeth with is "the straw."

A bale or two of straw that I've pulled apart and spread under my ground cloth and sleeping bag is "the straw."

A high load of bales on my low-boy trailer is "the straw."
" � paranoia � "

Paranoia = ducking when nobody's shooting.

Ducking when somebody's shooting in your direction is just good sense, not "paranoia."
Posted By: Brad Re: Bolt Rifle Blows UP On Hunter - 11/25/07
Mc, I should have been more clear... Dave's preference for those three actions has to do mostly with how they handle gas when blown... In his experience, the M700 is among the very worst with the M70 being not much better.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
" � paranoia � "

Paranoia = ducking when nobody's shooting.

Ducking when somebody's shooting in your direction is just good sense, not "paranoia."

I like that! I'll remember that one! smile
I've examined several makes of blown guns for court cases, and I'd go along with that. How they handle wild gas is the monster that lurks in their closets, yet the Big Sneezes who run Remington and Winchester don't want to even think about hobgoblins in their closets.
If anyone is wondering, Magnumb is carrying his resentments from this thread( https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...owflat/Number/1787100/page/1#Post1787100 ) over into this one. If you enjoy the ramblings of a paranoid, you may find it entertaining.
Why you couldn't follow an easily laid out explanation should be the real concern here.

When faced with logical explanations and argument, it is always pretty telling when one or the others back is against the wall. The most obvious sign.....exactly what you just did.

I'm seriously concerned for you as well.....not being able to follow such simple explanations, much less definitions found easily in the dictionary MADE AT YOUR OWN SUGGESTION......worrisome and disconcerting.

When one makes a comment to another member which one could take as inflammatory, he/she (the giver) shouldn't expect a free pass.....especially when there's no basis for either the comments made nor that persons involvement in the conversation in the first place....

...and when I left that thread as amicably as possible, who came in with demeaning comments and accusations AFTER THE FACT knowing from my last post that I'd not be involved in that particular thread anymore.....Mr. Class Act.

It would follow that you are a proponent of the "late hit" and the "sucker punch" as well......
Why you couldn't follow an easily laid out explanation should be the real concern here.

When faced with logical explanations and argument, it is always pretty telling when one or the others back is against the wall. The most obvious sign.....exactly what you just did.

I'm seriously concerned for you as well.....not being able to follow such simple explanations, much less definitions found easily in the dictionary MADE AT YOUR OWN SUGGESTION......worrisome and disconcerting.

When one makes a comment to another member which one could take as inflammatory, he/she (the giver) shouldn't expect a free pass.....especially when there's no basis for either the comments made nor that persons involvement in the conversation in the first place....

I see you haven't taken my advice about getting help.
I'm curious, what about head spacing? I had me M700 properly head spaced and the bolt fitted. I hear improperly fitted bolts and poor head spacing are a big culprit to guns blowing up.

Another one is loading a round TOO mild. A friend loaded his .45 Colt rounds to light to fit cowboy shooting and his pistol blew up, no one hurt. He says a big cause of gun blow up is very light loads.
Magnumb; The easiest way to end this bore's nagging is to buy yourself a Pitbull and extoll it's virtues. Trust me; it'll work. grin
Perhaps you and I can get a corporate rate....."The_Real_Hawkeye".....geeeez....that's lucid thinking.

I take YOUR suggestion about lookin' up a word, I do the homework and get back to you as requested, I put it into context.....you lose your grip.........what?

At the end of our counseling session, you might ask for a little anger management help on the side. Becoming angry and spitting forth accusations, such as you have resorted to, does very little to resolve any issues.

Anyone can review our "discussions" here, starting with the end of the thread you noted/linked above, and plainly see that the name calling and accusations began with you......not me......you.

It is not worth the effort, nor worth anyone else's time to continue in this vain, but true to form as I'm sure that you just can't help yourself, I fully expect that you must have the last word.......another failing which is not as desirable as you might think.

I expect that a Pit would be a bit of overkill in this instance.........grin, but I appreciate the thought.

A bit like revisiting "the ole' neighborhood days" when someone essentially calls you out and then they just can't or don't want to understand why you answered their invitation, quickly followed by them never noticing before that the sky was quite so blue and the ground quite so hard. I do miss those days............

But I trust you Bulletbutt.......I'm sure it would work. Those dogs have always commanded my immediate attention...........something with an actual bite behind their bark................
I had some of that 150 gr WW PP 270 WSM factory ammo and a new Savage 12 (BV something). The initial bolt lift was very high. My dealer sent the rifle and ammo to Savage and all they did was to shoot it with Federal ammo and say it was ok.

I recall that the velocity, over a Oehler 35P, was higher than the listed factory load for the 270 Weatherby. It was something like 3350 fps.

Very interesting! IIRC, the ammo I had problems with were PP loads as well.

I did not chrono those 150 gr WSM factory loads, as I quit after firing only 2 rounds. I wasn't about to chance blowing my face off.
My gunsmith and I were talking about this yesterday and he said he knew a couple of Weatherby incidents, He said these were caused
by a rebarrel job in a 300 wby that was "short throated".
All was fine for the owner who reloaded and paid attention to
the OAL, but when he sold it it was loaded with factory wby
ammo jammed into the lands and kaboom!!
Charlie
I lost track somewhere along the line here.

Has anyone actually identified the make of rifle in this blowup or did it just evolve into a Weatherby beat down through osmosis?
Pretty much osmosis.
W in the case that I reported.
I would say Dogzapper knows a thing or two about rifle blowups. The man still has the steel in his body IIRC. Perhaps he will chime in.

MtnHtr

I remain both lucky and thankful that my education re the matter has come from examining the results of others' misfortunes.
My prayers are with the young man and I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.

Now where anywhere in the news does it name the manufacture of the rifle, it's age, or any of the factors causing the catastrophic failure.

If you want to throw a manufacturer in the mix how about an Eddie Stone Action as they do have a proven track record of catastrophic failures due to microscopic fractures in the action that can not be detected unless the action has been magnafluxed. Some of these actions are quite brittle and you have no way of knowing it unless they've been magnafluxed or they have a catastrophic failure.

Another thought is had he dropped the rifle before discharging it getting some sort of obstruction in the barrel. That could have caused the failure as well.

There are too many scenarios
Originally Posted by twodogs

Has anyone actually identified the make of rifle in this blowup or did it just evolve into a Weatherby beat down through osmosis?

The way I follow this is that a Glock magnumb rifle blew up, and some here are pizzed that it wasn't a "High Power" rifle...

Did that explain the thread??? crazy
Posted By: FVA Re: Bolt Rifle Blows UP On Hunter - 11/25/07
Actually of the many catastrophic failures I have seen in my smith's shop and many times that on the web, the only two that involve a bolt being jetted straight back and into the shooter's face involved W so I mused as to the chance that such was the case here. Things progressed from there.
I certainly hope the best for the shooter regardless of what action or why.
ditto

Recieved this from a 24hr member a couple years back;

This would not only ruin your day but most likely make you wet yourself too! Lucky it wasn't much worse.
Go to:
http://www.weatherbycollectors.com/
click on "News" and check out the "Weatherby Wreck".
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
I would say Dogzapper knows a thing or two about rifle blowups. The man still has the steel in his body IIRC. Perhaps he will chime in.

MtnHtr

That is like saying I know about ballistics because I have lead in my arse. grin
Perhaps you and I can get a corporate rate....."The_Real_Hawkeye".....geeeez....that's lucid thinking.

I take YOUR suggestion about lookin' up a word, I do the homework and get back to you as requested, I put it into context.....you lose your grip.........what?

At the end of our counseling session, you might ask for a little anger management help on the side. Becoming angry and spitting forth accusations, such as you have resorted to, does very little to resolve any issues.

Anyone can review our "discussions" here, starting with the end of the thread you noted/linked above, and plainly see that the name calling and accusations began with you......not me......you.

It is not worth the effort, nor worth anyone else's time to continue in this vain, but true to form as I'm sure that you just can't help yourself, I fully expect that you must have the last word.......another failing which is not as desirable as you might think.

I'm telling you, man, these days, they can do wonders with the psychotropics. Trust me. Seek help.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by twodogs

The way I follow this is that a Glock magnumb rifle blew up, and some here are pizzed that it wasn't a "High Power" rifle...

Did that explain the thread??? crazy
I think that sums it up just about right.
You haven't added anything to the discussion, why do you feel the need to keep comming back?
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
You haven't added anything to the discussion, why do you feel the need to keep comming back?
Actually, AJ, you will notice that my first posts related directly to the topic. It was Magnumb that felt insults were needed to spice up this thread. I merely responded in kind.
The rifle in question appears to be a Mossberg.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/f626be868ed46bfd?hl=en#e01ed6255a2ddd18
.....1......BINGO!! Just as I had predicted.....you just had to have the last word. You never fail to disappoint.

Take AJ's thoughtful and nicely worded suggestion....or perhaps that's lost on you as well.

Just let the real thread continue as requested......

Originally Posted by msj348

Thanks for the link. Sounds like the shooter is in a bad way.
My best wishes for the hunter involved in this unfortunate incident. It sounds like a real tragedy.

I have a question about the following quote.
My cousin has an Eddystone 06 he has refused to shoot for the last twenty five years because he also has heard this old rumor. But I thought it was a myth. I thought all of the Eddystone actions were of superlative strength.

I know of the heat treating problem which was prevalent with low numbered Springfield 03 actions.

Originally Posted by W7ACT
My prayers are with the young man and I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.

Now where anywhere in the news does it name the manufacture of the rifle, it's age, or any of the factors causing the catastrophic failure.

If you want to throw a manufacturer in the mix how about an Eddie Stone Action as they do have a proven track record of catastrophic failures due to microscopic fractures in the action that can not be detected unless the action has been magnafluxed. Some of these actions are quite brittle and you have no way of knowing it unless they've been magnafluxed or they have a catastrophic failure.

Another thought is had he dropped the rifle before discharging it getting some sort of obstruction in the barrel. That could have caused the failure as well.

There are too many scenarios

So, what are the facts concerning the Eddystone actions?????
.....1......BINGO!! Just as I had predicted.....you just had to have the last word. You never fail to disappoint.

Take AJ's thoughtful and nicely worded suggestion....or perhaps that's lost on you as well.

Just let the real thread continue as requested......

I'd be embarrassed for you, but you likely don't even realize what a clown you are. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
Campfire badinage � the ultimate unending badminton!
Idaho Shooter

As far as I'm concerned it's no rumor as I got my information concerning Eddystone actions from a very trusted and internationally known Gunsmith who is a perfectionest in every sense of the word. I've been in his home a number of times and when he heard that I had an '06 in an eddystone action he recommended that I devest myself of it. His statement regarding these actions was in the manufacturing process a number of these actions there was a flaw in the blending of the medals used in these actions and in the heat treating process and as a result the metal had crystalized leaving small fractures in these actions which can cause a catastrophic failure of these actions. He also said you could probably get away shooting with the one of the actions and they would never fail but there is no way of knowing for sure unless you were to have the action magnafluxed and in his words why go to the added expense as there are to many other good actions out there so why take the chance of having one blow up on you. He broke out one of his gunsmithing manuals and read me the information that was published on these actions so I followed his advise and got rid of the rifle.

The Gunsmith's name is Eugene G.(Ted) Buckland and I have known him for over thirty years. You need to see some of his work it is immaculate and anything he touches is absolutely pristine. I know he also has an antique & Classic Car collection which is out of this world, most of them are European Classics including one 1920's two seat Indy Racer that he has restored from the ground up....
Having blown up more than my share of guns, I can attest to the fact that it is extremely hard to bring a rifle to your face in the act of shooting, and not think about it blowing up...again.

Some people have seen the result of blown up guns, but let me tell you it isn't anything like holding what's left after the blast.

You can find all kinds of experts that armchair-analyze what went wrong, all I know is that you can be assured, SOMETHING went wrong.

There is always speculation on which action is weak, or which ammunition was too strong. I have always heard that a Winchester 1876 action is not strong at all, and that is what blew up on me.

When the gun blew, I was holding the gun with my left hand under the action with my elbow against my side for support. The magazine tube was blown into a "C" shape and opened on the seam. The barrel was completely blown off and the forearm was in splinters. The weak old '76 action held with all that exploding.

I didn't even have so much as a bruise, but the gun was in pieces, and alot of them. It also happens that a round in the magazine detonated at the same time increasing the opportunity for disaster.

I was able to trace the reason to ammunition and to this day I thank God no one was hurt. This fellow was not so lucky, hopefully he will recover from his mishap.
Glad you weren't injured. Appropriate handle, BTW.
Originally Posted by lhonda
� Appropriate handle, BTW.

� almost completing the circle back to inventor Henry Shrapnel.
OK, if you're afraid of your Weatherby Marx V let me know and I'll arrange to take it off your hands...$50 cash...sight unseen
$75 for lefthanders, right here!
I read on the other thread where someone advised the poor guy that it would be ok to turn the remains of his rifle over to the police. Wonder why? Would they taser it or something?
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
$75 for lefthanders, right here!

Sorry Bulletbutt but mines not for sale, besides it's not a Weatherby...

It's a Remmington Action rebarreled to 300 Weatherby in a left handed thumbhole stock with a muzzle break......
I've only seen it one time. The rifle was a Sako. But it probably would happen to any 25-06 when you try to shoot a .308 out of it. The bullet was actually sticking half way out of the muzzle.
Posted By: Teal Re: Bolt Rifle Blows UP On Hunter - 11/26/07
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
I read on the other thread where someone advised the poor guy that it would be ok to turn the remains of his rifle over to the police. Wonder why? Would they taser it or something?

Why would the police want it? Nothing criminal happened as it looks.
You got me, unless there is some sort of state law requiring them to investigate, which is entirely possible.
Or someone else was injured, or foul play suspected,as in it was not an accident.
© 24hourcampfire