Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A 30 year old man hunting on the state game reserve in North La. today had the bolt of his rifle blown into his face while deer hunting.. I knew his father when I was growing up there. I do not know the young man and details are sketchy at this time..

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers on the way for the injured and his family

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jwp475

A 30 year old man hunting on the state game reserve in North La. today had the bolt of his rifle blown into his face while deer hunting.. I knew his father when I was growing up there. I do not know the young man and details are sketchy at this time..

Sako SS ?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I looked at a lot of Sako and Tikka blow up pics and all that I saw were barrel blow ups.

My guess would be a Mexican Mauser, Weatherby or a Blaser.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I looked at a lot of Sako and Tikka blow up pics and all that I saw were barrel blow ups.

The photos of the rifle in Utah showed the front of the receiver split wide open--it's a wonder the bolt didn't hit the shooter in the face.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Weatherby!!!If your going to make a guess at least try to make a educated one!!!.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Please post details when you have them.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a call, years ago, from a friend of a man near Tooele, Utah � a hunter but not a handloader � who'd had a factory load spit the bolt of his factory rifle back into his face as he lay prone, sighting-in just before opening day.

The bolt had entered his face just below his right eye, had gone down through his jaw and neck, had broken his collar bone, and had come to rest in his chest. Fortunately, he'd survived that horrible trauma. The friend called me to ask where the friend's lawyer should send the rifle, the ammo, the brass, etc, for forensic analysis.

I referred him to the H P White Laboratory and heard no more, directly, about the matter. From other sources, I learned later that the ammo was too hot and that the rifle was probably inherently inadequate to handle 'em indefinitely.

All the more reason for
� loading my own ammo � very carefully
and
� keeping my loads obviously mild.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I found out that he just purchased the rifle for this season, but I don't know if he purchased the rifle new or used, I don't believe that he is a hand loader. He is in serious condition and was air lifted to Shreveport.
I will post more details as soon as I have them

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by joecool544

Weatherby!!!If your going to make a guess at least try to make a educated one!!!.

Amen!

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Prayers sent!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I met someone who had a Perazzi blow up in his face. He told me they would not fix the shotgun but offered to replace it for a fee. Now you buy a nice shotgun and it blows up, and you have to pay for another one.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
prayers sent.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by jwp475

What kind of rifle was it? What condition was it in? Was it an old war rifle, or something?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
prayers sent.
Ditto from THW...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Had a guy here a few years ago put 43 or thereabouts grains of WW296 in his .30-06 Ruger M77. Broke the stock, extractor, and mostly out through the magazine well. Got a few pieces of brass in his face, and his glasses. Bolt was frozen shut, and it wound up as a show and tell for the 4-H Shooting Sports program. Don't know if any one tried to get it open.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Scary stuff. If it was a Weatherby, there is starting to be a pattern.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FVA

I was under the impression that Weatherbies, with their extra bolt lugs, were among the safest bolt guns ever made. What pattern are you referring to?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by FVA

I was under the impression that Weatherbies, with their extra bolt lugs, were among the safest bolt guns ever made. What pattern are you referring to?

I'm curious as well.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I've seen pic's of other rifles "blown up" I have read of at least two instances of Weatherby's having their bolt blown out the back with dire consequences. I think the issue is that while Weatherby's lugs add up in theory to alot of strength, they are in fact seldom all in contact and can set up a dominoe effect in a overload situation.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,930
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.