Home
Click here
back in the 70's, I watched Joe play at a club in Miami. What a performer. smile
OMG! That was hilarious! Thanks.
I never knew he was so great on air guitar.

Steve
Good stuff. grin
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
I never knew he was so great on air guitar.

For somebody as good (and at least later, famous) as he was, he sure looked like an amateur wannabe on stage that day. shocked

I'd venture to guess that there was maybe just a "touch" of drugs helping him along on that one! laugh

Great music, and great video though!

I wonder if he remembers being there?
i had never heard of woodstock, joe cocker, janis joplin, et cetera, until i was at texas a$m university in about 1977-78... i grew up on a cattle ranch, dad thought music of any kind was 'bullschite', except for what we heard in church.

i met a girl in class who asked me over to her apartment to watch Saturday Night Live, at 10pm on saturday night. me, being the rube i was at the time, thought that was an invitation to a sexual relation. i showed up at her place, showered, shaved, appropriately coiffed for the time period. a 10pm date was a "Late Date", now known as a "booty call". i was there 5 minutes ahead of time, she and her equally hot roomate were glad for my arrival, and comfortable in gym shorts and tee shirts while i showed in dancing boots, starched shirt and starched, new jeans...

they immediately offered me popcorn, a beer, tabasco sauce and turned on the tv. i morphed my expectations quickly, and eventually watched Joe Cocker and John Belushi on SNL singing a duet. I personally thought John Belushi did a better Joe Cocker than Joe Cocker did. i laughed until i hurt. it was more than funny, and continued to be so for many years.

now, it's just ho-hum, if i ever watch it. comic genius is comic genius, the greats have come and gone for the time being.

i don't remember a lot of that night 30+ years ago. there were many more beers, and i left in the morning, driving myself back to my apartment in the pinking dawn. i do remember the notion my dress was not lost on her, yet despite numerous attempts on my part, we never got back together again. something didn't click apparently. sad, really.

at any rate, that clip really brought back that memory in spades.

-tom
I didn't make "Woodstock", but a little while later I think it was in early 71 while stationed outside Openheim, Germany. I did catch the equivalent "British Rock Fest" along the banks of the Rhine river in Speyer, Germany (not far from Ludwigshaven, Manhheim, and Heldelberg). That was a three day event I'll never forget, they all played. Drugs were everywhere (not that I ever took any) grin. Even woke up the second morning with some strange blond in my bag with me, and not a clue as to what took place the night before, she sure was a doll though! Stayed together till I left 2 day's later. Don't recall just how many people attended, but it was some un-godly number.

Phil
You mean there was other people there other than Jimmi Hendrix?
Thought I could find a list of the bands that played by searching, but wound up with zilch. Guess it was called the "1st British Rock Meeting" and the dates were 4 and 5 September, 1971. Me and a few buddies showed up the day before, and left a couple days after it was over.

Phil
i well remember joe cocker and the other 70's bands. joe used to have (maybe still does have) a small restaurant in a small colorado mountain town that i visited a few times 8-10 years ago. the wife and i still listen to some of joe's cd's. i always thought he was a good performer.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i well remember joe cocker and the other 70's bands. joe used to have (maybe still does have) a small restaurant in a small colorado mountain town that i visited a few times 8-10 years ago. the wife and i still listen to some of joe's cd's. i always thought he was a good performer.

Heck, Cocker's wife owns half the town these days........

Casey
Originally Posted by tommygs
i morphed my expectations quickly, and eventually watched Joe Cocker and John Belushi on SNL singing a duet. I personally thought John Belushi did a better Joe Cocker than Joe Cocker did. i laughed until i hurt. it was more than funny, and continued to be so for many years.

-tom

That Belushi-Cocker skit is a historical SNL classic.

And you're right, Belushi's version of Cocker was hysterical....

Casey
Originally Posted by Maser
You mean there was other people there other than Jimmi Hendrix?

Yep, lots of great ones. I was otherwise disposed when all that went on. I was just trying to stay alive. Made it too. grin
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Casey

They closed that restaraunt 6yrs 2 months ago.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-122356072.html
...I was there at Woodstock. I heard Joe's performance and it all sounded good to me at the time. I never noticed the garbled words, but then the acid was really good....I knew at the time that Woodstock was a one of a kind festival. I went to many other big shindig deal festivals but none could come close to matching Woodstock, in fact some others were 'nightmares'! It was easy to make a 'ton' of money with them though.
anyone know how old joe is today?
Originally Posted by AI_fool
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Casey

They closed that restaraunt 6yrs 2 months ago.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-122356072.html
Damn, are they anything you guys don't know?
He is 62.
© 24hourcampfire