Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
back in the 70's, I watched Joe play at a club in Miami. What a performer. smile

Sam......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OMG! That was hilarious! Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never knew he was so great on air guitar.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff. grin

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
I never knew he was so great on air guitar.

For somebody as good (and at least later, famous) as he was, he sure looked like an amateur wannabe on stage that day. shocked

I'd venture to guess that there was maybe just a "touch" of drugs helping him along on that one! laugh

Great music, and great video though!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder if he remembers being there?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i had never heard of woodstock, joe cocker, janis joplin, et cetera, until i was at texas a$m university in about 1977-78... i grew up on a cattle ranch, dad thought music of any kind was 'bullschite', except for what we heard in church.

i met a girl in class who asked me over to her apartment to watch Saturday Night Live, at 10pm on saturday night. me, being the rube i was at the time, thought that was an invitation to a sexual relation. i showed up at her place, showered, shaved, appropriately coiffed for the time period. a 10pm date was a "Late Date", now known as a "booty call". i was there 5 minutes ahead of time, she and her equally hot roomate were glad for my arrival, and comfortable in gym shorts and tee shirts while i showed in dancing boots, starched shirt and starched, new jeans...

they immediately offered me popcorn, a beer, tabasco sauce and turned on the tv. i morphed my expectations quickly, and eventually watched Joe Cocker and John Belushi on SNL singing a duet. I personally thought John Belushi did a better Joe Cocker than Joe Cocker did. i laughed until i hurt. it was more than funny, and continued to be so for many years.

now, it's just ho-hum, if i ever watch it. comic genius is comic genius, the greats have come and gone for the time being.

i don't remember a lot of that night 30+ years ago. there were many more beers, and i left in the morning, driving myself back to my apartment in the pinking dawn. i do remember the notion my dress was not lost on her, yet despite numerous attempts on my part, we never got back together again. something didn't click apparently. sad, really.

at any rate, that clip really brought back that memory in spades.

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I didn't make "Woodstock", but a little while later I think it was in early 71 while stationed outside Openheim, Germany. I did catch the equivalent "British Rock Fest" along the banks of the Rhine river in Speyer, Germany (not far from Ludwigshaven, Manhheim, and Heldelberg). That was a three day event I'll never forget, they all played. Drugs were everywhere (not that I ever took any) grin. Even woke up the second morning with some strange blond in my bag with me, and not a clue as to what took place the night before, she sure was a doll though! Stayed together till I left 2 day's later. Don't recall just how many people attended, but it was some un-godly number.

Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You mean there was other people there other than Jimmi Hendrix?

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thought I could find a list of the bands that played by searching, but wound up with zilch. Guess it was called the "1st British Rock Meeting" and the dates were 4 and 5 September, 1971. Me and a few buddies showed up the day before, and left a couple days after it was over.

Phil

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i well remember joe cocker and the other 70's bands. joe used to have (maybe still does have) a small restaurant in a small colorado mountain town that i visited a few times 8-10 years ago. the wife and i still listen to some of joe's cd's. i always thought he was a good performer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i well remember joe cocker and the other 70's bands. joe used to have (maybe still does have) a small restaurant in a small colorado mountain town that i visited a few times 8-10 years ago. the wife and i still listen to some of joe's cd's. i always thought he was a good performer.

Heck, Cocker's wife owns half the town these days........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tommygs
i morphed my expectations quickly, and eventually watched Joe Cocker and John Belushi on SNL singing a duet. I personally thought John Belushi did a better Joe Cocker than Joe Cocker did. i laughed until i hurt. it was more than funny, and continued to be so for many years.

-tom

That Belushi-Cocker skit is a historical SNL classic.

And you're right, Belushi's version of Cocker was hysterical....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Maser
You mean there was other people there other than Jimmi Hendrix?

Yep, lots of great ones. I was otherwise disposed when all that went on. I was just trying to stay alive. Made it too. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Casey

They closed that restaraunt 6yrs 2 months ago.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-122356072.html

Last edited by AI_fool; 04/04/09. Reason: correct date

Steve

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...I was there at Woodstock. I heard Joe's performance and it all sounded good to me at the time. I never noticed the garbled words, but then the acid was really good....I knew at the time that Woodstock was a one of a kind festival. I went to many other big shindig deal festivals but none could come close to matching Woodstock, in fact some others were 'nightmares'! It was easy to make a 'ton' of money with them though.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
anyone know how old joe is today?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by AI_fool
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Casey

They closed that restaraunt 6yrs 2 months ago.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-122356072.html
Damn, are they anything you guys don't know?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
He is 62.

Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Right up until it kills you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,563
Posts18,510,657
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.