Home
Posted By: MColeman Unusual names - 09/29/09
My mother's name was 'Irvyll' pronounced ER-vuhl. Has anybody ever known another person by that name? I've never heard again in the 65 years following her death.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
My daughter's name is Kirta, ever seen that one?
Posted By: mathman Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
My father's name was Ruff.
Posted By: FC363 Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
A kid where I work named his son "Krevio" because he thought it sounded cool. whistle

Ask the kid in about 10 years what he thinks of it.
Posted By: bender Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
My cousin, for some reason named his son Stoakly. And, not to be out done, the middle name is Ervin. Nice kid.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
a friend of mines wife is named Dorcus. My Daughter is Keri.
Posted By: RWE Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
I see a lot of good one's when I am doing deed research for property surveys.

Not really strange, but just a point of oddity, had my dad not been shipped out to Antarctica, my Mom would have still been in Supply, NC when I was born, where my Grandfather would have insisted and probably succeeded in having me named "Jethro".

TLee, Dorcus is a fairly common name circa the 1900's, in central NC.

Posted By: Delta Hunter Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
There was once a football player at Georgia named Car Radio Murphy.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
i know a mary christmass
Dad went to High school with a dude named Richard Harry
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
I am with RWE on this one the deed research turns up a lot of crazy names.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
A lady at work is called, "Q". When I asked her why, she said her name is Qtah. Also said there were several other women with that name where she was from- Mississippi IIRC. It was an Indian name.
also know a richard hunter
Posted By: Cheesehunter Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
Never heard of an Irvyll, but it is not a bad name. Some of these old names are. How about Bulah? smile

How about a bad new name like Le-A.
It is pronounced Ledasha.
CUZ THE DASH AINT SILENT!!!
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
New a fine Lady in N.O.La. named Linoleum.

cheet joo not.

GTC
also knew a real dumbazz that named his son ($) never knew what he ended up calling the kid
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
We had a brother and sister in our little K-8 school of about 200... Enork and Peacola.. they wasnt exactly our skin tone and didnt stay around long..
Posted By: 700LH Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
Grandmother's was Arta, after Buffalo Bill's daughter.
From what I could find online it must be very unusual. Never could find a meaning.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
OK, that makes sense then, they are originally from outside of Wilmington.

I told my wife I wanted our Daughter named Carrie and the BC came out with Keri on it, guess I should have spelled my version for her.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
I know a few people named Ocal (pronounced OH-SUL) and Ica (pronounced I-SUH). And I know a few males named Opal and know of a guy whose first name was Shirley (he went by his middle name, which was Ray). My own middle name is Dee, which is not too uncommon here in Oklahoma, but a little like "A Boy Named Sue" when you head north. ("I gave you that name and I said good-bye, and I knew you'd have to get tough or die...")

And I knew a guy in western Nebraska named Dave Licious who, the last I knew, was marrying a gal named Dee. (No, not a joke.) I never knew if she intended on taking his last name or not.
Posted By: Delta Hunter Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
My grandmother's nickname was Topsy. Don't know how she got it.
Posted By: MColeman Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
There was a black kid in Plantersville, AL (just north of Selma) whose name was pronounced 'Shuh-THEED' but was spelled 'Schithead' without the 'c'. I'm dead serious.
OH wow, that's just insane, parents probably watched "the jerk" too many times.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
My wife has an uncle named Estin Elmo, he goes by Pete, after 13 kids they were running low on names!
know a rosie posie
Posted By: GeoW Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
Little Negro child born the same night as my daughter thirty two years ago... parent named her.... Nediva Nejiva.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
Knew a Virginia Ham...no kidding..

Then there was this girl in college nicknamed " Hoover"...

Need I say more.... whistle

Ingwe
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
Hoover Hmm, that happens other places to! :whistle
Posted By: Archerhunter Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
My grandfathers both married real gems.

Opal and Ruby.
Posted By: pixarezzo Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
Had a great uncle with the first name of Smith and an uncle named Waldemar. Oh, those wacky Norwegians.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
Was a fellow down in Pearson, GA., owned the ice company there years ago.. Was named 5/8 Smith pronounced Fiveeights Smith.
Posted By: Hindsite Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
My mother's name is Gertrude....not that common.

She prefers "Gerty" smile
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Dad went to High school with a dude named Richard Harry

I was just fishing with a guy by the name of Dick Long.
Posted By: DARBY Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
Once knew a gent named Hardy Peters....
Posted By: Notropis Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
The father of one of my students was Mike Hunt. I knew the Cinnamon twins, Ginger and Pepper Cinnamon. Olive Branch was a friend of my mother. Orangejello and Lemonjello were twins. Tavis D. was a baby born several years ago in the local hospital. Asiashonukette and Asiashanikatopaz were born in the same hospital and had several babies there. Several names I have seen are Febbie (Phoebe), Freager, Lettuce Green, Jxquan, Nazis, Dong Dong Huang, Male (Molly), Female (Femolly), Krendy, and a host of others.
Posted By: Blueboat Re: Unusual names - 09/29/09
Had a neghibor when I was a kid Dick Ake.
Dodge (boy) and Fairmont (girl) Tex" Earnhardt's grand kids.
Posted By: chuck_tree Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
There was the daughter of billionare Texas oilman Big Jim Hogg. Her name: Ima Hogg
And Frank Zappa's kids, Dweezil and Moon Unit.

My favorite was a fellow Army officer who's family was from Thailand. His last name Arnukunpitaya. And it usually was the first name some poor Sergeant had to attempt to call at 0500 formation. After the third, fourth, or in a few cases with a very determined Sergeant,a fifth attempt, he would invariably be titled "Lt. Alphabet". He eventually changed his name to Jones. Tough little guy though. And former Special Forces enlisted.

Chuck
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
My fathers name was Elmer Leroy, but fortunately he was just nicknamed Happy.

My grandmothers name was Gurine - (Grr-een-ah).

Had a friend named Forrest Forkie, he would never reveal his middle name. (Said he was too embarassed to.)

Another friend was named Zipperhead ... probably not his real name, but fitting.
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
I never met them but there are supposed to be a set of twins running around my home town named lemonjelo and oronjelo....kinda like orange jello and lemon jello.
Posted By: Aileinduinn Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
We keep a "secret" list at work of people in the database with crazy names.

Posted By: rob p Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
In the category of one betters, when I was younger, I knew a kid named Boner. It used to be so funny to hear his Mother call him. For that matter, it used to be funny to hear anyone call him.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
I went to school with a gal named Ophelia Cockburn. She was on the wrestling team. She wasn't very good at wrestling, but man you should have seen her box!
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Originally Posted by T LEE
a friend of mines wife is named Dorcus. My Daughter is Keri.

While Dorcus isn't a common name, it is a biblical name of a woman in Acts of the apostles.

Our daughters name certainly isn't common, Evdokyia. It's an old Russian name, she's named after her great grandmother. Suprisingly I've met a few Evdokyia's in Alaska, so it isn't that uncommon of a name.
Posted By: RWE Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Dick Trickle.

another example of "get tough or die"
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Delivered a 12yr old female's baby around midnight, day before xmas eve. Her name was... Shanta.

Was this past July, walked past a woman on her cell phone yackin': "You gawn pick up Gonorrhea after school or eye's gotta?" Presumably her daughter. [bleep] you not.
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
My sister named her first born "Trexson".
Posted By: ADK4Rick Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
My nephew went to his friends Bar Mitzvah,the kids name was Christian,no kidding.
Posted By: JOG Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
The receptionist at a rendering plant I worked with was named Sally Pus.

My first 'real' job was in a grocery store with a kid named Joe Pudlick. We'd sneak over to the store PA system and announce, "Joe Pudlick to the manager's office for a liquid cleanup, Joe Pudlick." A big chuckle when you're 16.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
There is a man from my hometown named Harry Hoe. There was also a Harry Ball in town. Hoe owned a foundry, Ball owned a furniture store.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
My first name is "Colice". It's been passed through a uncle/nephew line as no one will give it to their own kid after being saddled with it.

Expat
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
went to school with a Cole Miner.
Got a friend that named his kid 7.
Posted By: Pine_Tree Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Mrs. Tree had a new bag-boy at the store last week. His honest-to-goodness name was Talon.
Posted By: BMT Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Played Football with a guy named Kevin Keith Knowlton.

(Check the Initials).

BMT
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
also worked with a guy named fido
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
I knew a guy named Larry Lipshits but he changed his name to Joe Lipshits...
Posted By: Craftsman Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
My father in law's name was Marion Hooper Wright, he had a brother we called P. L. for Pinkneigh Lafayette Wright. His mothers name was Parky Matilda Wright. What a clan.

My mothers name was Violet Buryl Johle.

I grew up in Archer City, Texas. That is where the movie "The Last Picture Show" was filmed. There were three brothers there who were named Colt Forty Five, Holster and Blue Blazes. I'm not kidding. Not far from Archer City is a little community called Bug Scuffle.

I worked with a fellow whose first name was Orgie.
Posted By: Riverhawk Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
My mom has a story that takes the cake - she worked in the business office of a hospital and processed birth certificates for Orangejello and Lemonjello, twins born to a crack addict that used the menu to name her kids.
Posted By: NWRancher Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Back in Montana we had some neighbors, last name of Seed. Kids names: Huckleberry, Apple, Celery and Caraway. Father was a stay-at-home sci-fi writer who had never had anything published.

Younger sis went to college with 2 sisters: Ima and Youra Pigg.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Know a gentleman by the name of Richard Boner and a vet named Dr. Root (he should have been a dentist)
Posted By: lhonda Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
My mother knew a guy at school growing up in Scotland named MacGregor MacGregor. For those who may not ken, 'Mac' means 'son of'. Talk about redundant. smile
Posted By: batch Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Worked with a guy named Sergeant, who's rank was Sergeant. Same base had a Major Major and a man named Fuch but with the Anglo-Saxon spelling. Related to a man from KY named Aro and had a uncle who's middle name was Valentine. My wife worked OB one base and I still don't know if they talked one woman out of naming her daughter Placenta. Parents can be cruel.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
A young man I know got married and they had their first son recently.

Named the boy....Binelli. Yep, named after Dad's shotgun.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
hear of a girl in the navy who's title was seaman Guzzler, she should picked a different job or something and been an airman or fireman
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Old song about a black kid. Said that by the time his turn to be born came around, his folks, Ferdinand and Liza just put their names together and came up with plain old "Fertilizer" for his name. Said it really wasn't all that bad as the other kids gave him a nickname that wouldn't do to mention. Never did say exactly what it was.

Also new a young guy by the name "Eric." Dad's name was Gene. Not bad at all but when Eric became daddy, they named their son after grandpa Gene and daddy Eric. Gene Eric.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Knew a girl in high school named Mona Lisa. Not a bad looking girl, actually. She had never, not ever, cut her hair, it was down to her knees, and thick.

When I was in college there were stories about a guy on campus who was named Gay Guy. He supposedly took the kidding in stride, always introducing himself as "Guy".

My mom was English, and my first name came from her Irish uncle. The name is old Gaelic, and very unusual. After college I dropped it and started using my middle name.

It sucks when you have a wierd name, and you are a kid, just for the record. mad

Posted By: mudhen Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
My wife has a nephew who is married to a woman from an old Arizona outlaw family and he is a sixth generation New Mexico rancher. They are eaten up with the tradition of the old west, and have a son named "Whip Pop", a second son named "Quirt" and the youngest, a daughter, is name "Dally". My wife, who is usually forgiving, pretty much draws the line at naming kids for tack.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Twins (boy and girl) were born to a local black family and the mother told the nurse that she had decided to let her brother name the children.

When asked the brother said he'd name the girl Deniece (which the nurse though very pretty). Then he told her to name the boy....Denephew.

Not as bad as the woman who named her daughter (this is a true story) Female' (Fe-ma-lee).....said she didn't want that name but when they saw her in the nursery after bith there was a sign with her name already on it...."Female Washintgon"

Seriously, my daughters are actually named Angel and Honey. I never thought it strange, but my second wife thinks it rediculous, saying they are both nicknames, not REAL names.
Posted By: 1B Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
In a book on the old "purple Gang" in Detroit there's a lineup picture of six named thugs -- one is "Dodo Mazzollo".

1B
Posted By: tbear Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Went to school with a gal whose name was Pussey that was pronounced PU SEY. You can imagine what class mates called her.
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Originally Posted by ingwe
Knew a Virginia Ham...no kidding..

Then there was this girl in college nicknamed " Hoover"...

Need I say more.... whistle

In high screwl one of our cheerleaders was proud of her nickname, "pickle ..... "

My neice is named "Breiss" after someone in my BIL's famm.

I also once knew a gal from Idaho who was actually named "Kandy Kane." Never learned what her name became after she tied the knot.

Also once met a fellow who's folks named him "Harold." The surname was "Balls."
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Girl who's real name was Jessica Lay, but her father nicknamed her "Easy" and called her that from birth......said he figured she'd earn it someday so why not get used to it!!!
Posted By: Roundup Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
When I was a young man we had a neighbor "Peter Hurtz" and another neighbor named "Annis Burns". Went to school with "Hayon Stubblefield".

Probably no the place to do it, but native American names can be very interesting. Most will have both historical and "white" (non-Indian names) a few I've run across: Dirty Moccassins, Wolf Guts, Weasel Tail, SoHappy. Morning Owl, He Who Knows His Gun, (was a U.S. Marine, and a Sharpshooter) and so on including the ever popular Elk's Anus...or words to that effect. Well as they say...Don't fire 'till you see the eyes of the Whites!
Posted By: Red Baron Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
knew a coworker named Richard Seaman - Did NOT like to be called Dick
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
I'm into my 30th year as a teacher and have seen a few unusual ones. London England, Beaver Packer, Shadow. I've taught several guys named Brick and a few named Blaze. Give me a little more time to wake up and think and I'm sure to come up with plenty more.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Ya know, in all my life I used Les, short for Leslie, I never once thought to use my middle name...........Loyd, don't know why, just never did. Mom and dad used older family names, and I just couldn't see not using my given name. But hey, that's just me, My MIL goes by Sabrina(pseudonym) as her name is Norma. I told her that I thought she was dishonoring her parents by not using her given name. Boy was that a fun conversation, lets just say, "And that's when the fight started!"
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Beaver Packer, ya gotta be kiddin me, I would have killed for that name. grin
Posted By: aalf Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
Family around here with the last name of Crapp. Oldest girl was Robin.
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Unusual names - 09/30/09
The son-in-law of a friend of mine was the owner of a wood cutting outfit and his name is Rod Longstaff! I schit you not!
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
I'm into my 30th year as a teacher and have seen a few unusual ones. London England, Beaver Packer, Shadow. I've taught several guys named Brick and a few named Blaze. Give me a little more time to wake up and think and I'm sure to come up with plenty more.

Once knew a gal who was a 3rd grade teacher, who had a student named "Blaze Wilde!"

What a way for a mother to muck-up a kid's life.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
My Mother and Father named me Mike , and I'm glad they did.

Mike
Posted By: 700LH Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree
Mrs. Tree had a new bag-boy at the store last week. His honest-to-goodness name was Talon.
I have Grandson named Talon.

Dated a girl last name of Gay, she for sure wasn't.

Went to school with a guy named Chick little. You only laughed once. Then is was serious apologies, or fight.
Posted By: Red Baron Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Knew a 'Buck Hunter' not a nickname.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Got a gal down here named Anita Hooter.
Posted By: dh1 Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Just perusing the news, how about Gore as in Gore Vidal?
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Any here remember the Lions player named Harry Colon? Pronounced Collin.

I received my Dad's first name, Theodore. As a kid, other kids would occassionally tease me about it. My response was to say it was my Dad's name and I was proud to be named after him. Took all the fun out it for them. The worst part about my name for me is that my folks decided to call me by my middle name. This causes plenty of confusion as people just assume that my first name is the one they always hear, Scott.

We named our daughter, Amelia. An unusual name for sure nowadays.

Posted By: pod Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
my mother in laws name is noema ever here that one?
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
I know a Chinese lady whose name was Wei Ling Ho. Say that three times fast. She asked to be called Wendy. She married an Anglo so no problem no more.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
I'll never forget this: One of my aunts who, for over 35 years, was a first-grade teacher in a really rough area of Chicago. The majority of her students were black kids.

One poor girl was named 'Vomitice'.... True story...

Posted By: hatari Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Originally Posted by MColeman
There was a black kid in Plantersville, AL (just north of Selma) whose name was pronounced 'Shuh-THEED' but was spelled 'Schithead' without the 'c'. I'm dead serious.

This is true. The kid ended up in Gwinnett Co. Ga. My buddy had him in class for summer school. He saw this name on the class role and thought someone had played a prank on him, so the first day he called role but skipped that one. After he finished, he asked if there was any name he didn't call, and a kid raised his hand.

"You ain't callt my name"

"What is your name"

"My name's She-Thade" but it was spelled as Mickey had it.

Unreal. That was more than 10 years ago.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Work with a Neoma at my St. Vincent's she runs the clothing ministry.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Almost forgot: When I was in BE&E school in San Diego, we had a Santa Claus... I knew the kid; his full name was Santa Michael Claus (from TX, of course) .. At least 3-4 times during the duration of the school, the duty PO would have him come forward during the morning muster and ask for his military ID 'cause they didn't believe it..

He's probably killed his parents by now.. Poor kid..
Posted By: JacquesLaRami Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Rob, there's a whole extended family named Boner out here, They must be related to the one in RI.

My mom's uncle was Elwood Buster Hawkins.

I never took band, but the band teacher when I started in high school was named Harold Butts (you DIDN'T call him Harry!!!) laugh

When he retired the new band teacher's name was Steve Miller, so our high school band became known as The Steve Miller Band. smile
Posted By: stumpy Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Can think of a couple:

Grace Land (parents were Elvis fans?)

Rope, Tye and Cash (cowboys)

Bill Boy Bryant. (Texas Longhorn Footballer during my time there)

stumpy
Posted By: euge Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
My grandmother's name is Williametta, she goes by Peggy. She loves it when I call her Willy.
Posted By: YankeeDevil Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
There was a gynachologist in Port Jervis New York that was named seemor weiners. I swear to god its true. He is a legend around here because of his name and occupation
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Went to school with a guy named John Fuchs. Pronounced FOX
Also a gal named Sandra Screws.

Some of the older folks had interstering names in my youth. Mostly now they are just take a guess at how pronounced Ebonic.

I remember Syphillys Hopkins. Pronounced 'Phylis

General Green. He was a Lieutenat in the Army. That caused some confusion when it was announced Lt. General Green was coming.

Got a friend named Richard Mason. You better not call him Dick more than once. He goes by Rick.

'Phylis had a brother named Ghoul.

There was also a Harry Longbottom around here a few years back along with a Harry Butz. He was nicknamed Fuzzy.

BCR
Posted By: YankeeDevil Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree
I have Grandson named Talon.

Dated a girl last name of Gay, she for sure wasn't.

gay is a fairly common name actually. i have know several gay's. tee he he
Posted By: clark98ut Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
The girl that cuts my hair is named Femalie.

My grandmothers both have unusual names...Elva and Lula Mae.
Posted By: ODay450 Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
The strangest I have come across were a girl in my oldest daughter's school class named Candy Machine and a patient named Dementia Jones.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
There is Harold Cox.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
A guy I knew in the chicken business named his son and daughter " Sam an' Ella." He enjoyed introducing those kids to a stranger.
Posted By: Everyday Hunter Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
I've heard of a woman named Oprah.

Steve
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
I had a Great Aunt named Dolly Freezecat and a Great Uncle named Clebba Shoebear on my Mom's side.

Mom actually was infatuated as a young lady with a young man named Stinky Contois, and no, Stinky was not a nickname sick
Posted By: pod Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
had a black girl at school named flanelpajima they got the name out of the clothing section of the sears catalog [flannel pajamas]
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Tashawna, DaMarcus, Jamarcus, Kwame...........

Maybe Zulu origin???????? I dunno.

MM
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
One of my buddies named his son Chase.. their last name is Beavers.. I SWEAR TO GOD!!!!

My best friend is a COWBOY from the word go.. His first born is named "Bronc" not Bronco just Bronc.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
My wife used to have an OB/GYN doctor named Dr. Bonnie Beaver.

Mike
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
One slightly dark colored girl by name of LaTrine. Really!
Posted By: Mossy Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
My father in law's name is Erksel. Everyone calls hims Ray (middle name).

I didn't know his name wasn't Ray for probably 10 years.

They got some odd names in Mississippi.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
A high school friend named Bobby. When it came time to have our diplomas printed, he was forced to bring a birth certificate to school, as admin insisted his proper name was Robert. In good southern form, his real name was Bobby Ray -
Posted By: stumpy Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Oh, I forgot the best one in the family:

My Uncle Horace Heine. No kidding. Great old rancher from Waxahachie!

Boggy, that Fuch fellow wasn't a biologist, was he?

stumpy
Posted By: Blueboat Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
X wife�s gynecologist�s name was Dr. Bush
Posted By: DanD Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
could be late to this but how 'bout this one from a really big city

L-A

Yup, pronounced ladasha. Pronounced that way, but it sure wasn't the way the young lady spelled it, or the way it was spelled on the birth cert.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
My last name is 'Brose'-pronounced 'Brozee'
Not a super rare name, but certainly not common.
Posted By: Brad Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
I worked with a guy whose wife was a nurse at a hospital in the city of St. Louis.

Seems an upstanding pregnant citizen of the browner variety was admitted deep in the throes of labor... In her hysteria while being wheeled into the delivery room she noted the "No Smoking" sign which apparently held a deeper meaning for her. After a fine baby boy was delivered, the lady was asked for a name... "Nosmo King" was the chosen name.

An absolutely true story...
Posted By: Kutter Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
When I was in the NAVY, the Ship's dentist was Dr Payne. I fully understand why he chose not to go into business outside the service.

When growing up, I knew two brothers (literally) whose names were "James" & "Jimmy".
Posted By: 340boy Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
We have a dentist in Twin Falls named Dr. Rencher.
Posted By: Dimebox Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
I had an aunt who taught piano for a living many years ago. While she was living in the South she had a black student whose name was "Laxative Jones". I later met a guy from Memphis whose dad was a doctor and related that when his dad was interning at the public hospital in Memphis they'd often suggest "Laxative" or "Enema" as names and not knowing what those words meant the moms would agree.
Posted By: Brad Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
Originally Posted by Dimebox
I had an aunt who taught piano for a living many years ago. While she was living in the South she had a black student whose name was "Laxative Jones". I later met a guy from Memphis whose dad was a doctor and related that when his dad was interning at the public hospital in Memphis they'd often suggest "Laxative" or "Enema" as names and not knowing what those words meant the moms would agree.

That's plain mean.
Posted By: abo Re: Unusual names - 10/01/09
I once knew a gynecologist named Dr. Clam.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
In high school I met a kid from a neighboring high school with the name Mike Hawk... No kidding.

Nice kid, but unfortunately he took a lot of crap. What the heck were the parents thinking when they plastered that name on him?

A gal I went to school with had the nickname BJ (you can guess why). Everybody called her Beej though. Kinda weird to see this gal 20 years later and I almost called her by her nickname.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
Family I knew by the name of Pankey named a son Hankey and a daughter Kissee. GW
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
A lady in eastern Wyoming working as DJ at a local radio station aptly named " Melody Songer."
Posted By: Waterguy Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
Stumpy, I think I know Mr. Heine, and a few of his relatives. He lives just north of town in what used to be the �sticks�.

Joel
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
Here's one for real from "Classmates."

Balls Claude 46-54

Beck Shirley 49-61

Beckloff Stanley 51-55

Bradford Carol 41-53 request info

Choate David

I think Claude really enjoyed his name!
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
There is a family of native Canadians on a reserve north of here whose surname is "Nothing." One of the boys has a given name of "Johnson" and the other has a given name of "Minus."

Imagine being stopped by the police and asked for your name.

LEO: What's your name?
GUY: Minus.
LEO: Don't play smart with me, son. What's your other name?
GUY: Nothing.
Posted By: Aqualung Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
Originally Posted by 1minute
A high school friend named Bobby. When it came time to have our diplomas printed, he was forced to bring a birth certificate to school, as admin insisted his proper name was Robert. In good southern form, his real name was Bobby Ray -

I remember we had the same thing happen in grade school. Teacher kept calling this kid "William", but his name was actually "Billy". Parents sent in confirmation of some sort.

Aqualung
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
These names come to mind, and they are all real people that I have known or at least met.

Theophilus Leapheart

Harry Chew (Classmate of mine from elementary thru H.S.)

Dick Hollopeter and his son Willie Hollopeter

Posted By: bruinruin Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
Originally Posted by the_shootist
There is a family of native Canadians on a reserve north of here whose surname is "Nothing." One of the boys has a given name of "Johnson" and the other has a given name of "Minus."

Imagine being stopped by the police and asked for your name.

LEO: What's your name?
GUY: Minus.
LEO: Don't play smart with me, son. What's your other name?
GUY: Nothing.

Good Lord!

Parents, please think about what you're doing to your kids when you passing out the names. They are not pets, it's not cute, and they gonna have to live with and explain all these goofy names throughout their lives.
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
Originally Posted by stumpy
Oh, I forgot the best one in the family:

My Uncle Horace Heine. No kidding. Great old rancher from Waxahachie!

Boggy, that Fuch fellow wasn't a biologist, was he?

stumpy

Don't remember. He went on to grad school and got a doctorate. Taught at Sam Houston for a while but I don't remember what his field was.

BCR
Posted By: zxc Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
Adolph O. Bush the O is for Oliver
Posted By: MColeman Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
I remember reading an anecdote in the Reader's Digest many years ago about a man who had only initials (R. B.) instead of a name. He got a job for some governmental agency and was filling out the required forms and put his name as R. B. Jones. The form was returned with instructions not to use initials but to use his entire name. He filled it out thusly, R.(only) B. (only) and resubmitted it. When he got his first paycheck it was made out to Ronly Bonly Jones.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
my middle name is josef my parents had a heck of time with teachers in the grade school telling me that was not how my name is spelled
Posted By: JPro Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
One of my grandfathers was named Trellis and I always liked his name. He had a sister named Lodusky and a brother named Rodell. I'd say old Trell' faired the best out of that bunch.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Unusual names - 10/02/09
i knew a guy whos name was R B garza.same thing only R B.he got pulled over and charged with dui in la. when he went back for court they could only find stuff on a arby garza not R B so he left and never heard anything of it again
© 24hourcampfire