Home
This is a rifle I've been watching for several 'cycles' (times offered for sale on Gunbroker, for those who are new) and I've more or less had a permanent bid on it for $2400 - which, IMHO is maybe a tad low, but in the ballpark.. True worth is maybe $2600 +/-, especially since it's a very common .270..

A newbie jumped right on it:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151194544

These were priced from the factory less than what GM was fishing for in the 'Buy Now' category.. If the buyer is legit and/or a new collector, he better plan on holding onto this rifle for 20 years before he 'may' see a profit, considering the opportunity cost.. Or, he just bought himself one helluva fancy huntin' machine.. laugh

Either way, congrats to the seller..
Yikes! eek your right!
Without Box or paperwork, the ONLY way I would touch that rifle for that price is with the Box and paperwork. shocked
He did end up finding the hardcase and paperwork on it but still way high IMO.
i say the buyer will hunt with it
I thought it was gonna have a S.C. stamp on it!!!!!!!

George
Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If you have something that books, appraises, or whatever for a certain price it is only worth that if you find someone willing to pay you that amount for it.
So, obviously that rifle is worth $3500. Maybe not to anyone else in the world but to the guy who bought it it is.

Hemi
That buyer is an ALL DAY SUCKER
Originally Posted by heavywalker
He did end up finding the hardcase and paperwork on it but still way high IMO.
Exactly... That's why, w/box/papers/etc., it would really price around $2600+, but no way, unless the buyer really got the hots (and had the bux) for this rifle, would anyone hit the $3500 button..

But, WTH, I've seen just as bad or worse at times on GB.. That site can be more entertaining than a good movie.. laugh laugh

Just think. He coulda bought a Remington 700 and had almost $3000 for other stuff plus he would have gotten a nice rifle. wink Happy New Year, Lee.
I bet the buyer backs out.
To me it seems a far price to pay for a nice lookin rifle (with wood stock) given what people are paying for plastic stocked stuff at the moment,and that barrel adds a totally differant look to it as well.As somebody else has said its worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it,i`d say good catch for a unique rifle.Just my 2c worth
I think your title for this post was well suited. There is one born every minute. Anybody that hunts with a barrel this heavy either has never done it before or he will only do it once.
Excuse my ignorance on Model 70's, but is that a very recent rifle, ie since FN took over Winchester?

I'm not going to comment on what I think the rifles "worth", but I think its a very nice looking rifle, and if the quality matches it looks, I'd be happy to own it...
That was long before FN bought them out by about 30 years.
Nice looking rifle, although I think it might be a little heavy for the caliber. I passed up a Super Grade years ago that had similar wood, also a .270, and it was just too heavy. It was 1/3 the price of that gun.

OTH I have always wanted a Deluxe Model 71 Winchester. 20 odd years ago I saw one that was $850 and I thought it was just too expensive. They now sell for 3-4x that much, at least on Gunbroker.

Collectibles are a funny thing. Benchmade had a series of knives made from M2 steel. When they were discontinued it only took a couple years, and prices shot up 2x-3x the previous retail.
Originally Posted by MColeman
Just think. He coulda bought a Remington 700 and had almost $3000 for other stuff plus he would have gotten a nice rifle. wink
, Well, YEAH.. But then he woulda had a 'nice' Remington when he really got a superior Winchester.. laugh
Happy New Year, Lee.
And the same to you, Mickey.. Hope you have a great year in 2010..

Originally Posted by bbassi
I bet the buyer backs out.

I'm thinking the same thing.. It could be a fake, or the guy gets a huge ration of buyers remorse... I'm going to keep track of this item and see if it appears again soon..
I think some people just have the money to buy and they don't give it a second thought. I go to bottle shows with my brother and see people asking money like that, just for one old open pontil bitters or medicine bottle that will just sit there in a glass case. When you pick up an old bottle and see a price of 3,500.00 your arms become weak because it's only made of glass and there's a thing called Murphy's law.
Originally Posted by blklabs
I think some people just have the money to buy and they don't give it a second thought.

That is very true, and I believe that it has hurt and will continue to hurt the causes of hunting, shooting, and gun ownership. There are people with the wherewithall to snap up any and every good deal on a rifle that comes along, either just to have more toys than others or to sell at a higher price. There are those out there of lesser means who might be interested in getting into hunting, shooting, and gun ownership but who are kept from doing so by the fact that there is always someone willing to pay more for what to them would be a single firearm than they are capable of paying. Just offering this as food for thought as regards the future of our pastimes. Best to all, John
Letter says February 2000. Nice gun, nice wood, et cetera, custom classic, but what if it don't shoot?
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by blklabs
I think some people just have the money to buy and they don't give it a second thought.

That is very true, and I believe that it has hurt and will continue to hurt the causes of hunting, shooting, and gun ownership. There are people with the wherewithall to snap up any and every good deal on a rifle that comes along, either just to have more toys than others or to sell at a higher price. There are those out there of lesser means who might be interested in getting into hunting, shooting, and gun ownership but who are kept from doing so by the fact that there is always someone willing to pay more for what to them would be a single firearm than they are capable of paying. Just offering this as food for thought as regards the future of our pastimes. Best to all, John

Absolutely True...

I was watching "North To Alaska" last week, and the owner of a lodge in Alaska said (I'm Paraphrasing here, not quoting) that some of his guests are rich enough "That Money Is NO OBJECT".
I know when I was in Maryland in '95 there was a boat builder who's pleasure boats STARTED at $7,000,000.
I'm looking at possibly booking a Mule Deer hunt for 2010..... the prices are CRAZY.... I don't know frown frown
Nice looking rifle, but not that nice. At least to me but I don't collect rifles just shoot them.
Don't know about Kriegers, but I know some of the Winchester custom shop rifles had Badger barrels.

Paul
A pre 64 m-70 is on my wish list,but not for that much! Lightman
Pete, I don't know what year FN took over Winchester, but the letter is dated February of 2006. IIRC, this is right before Winchester crapped out and prices took a tremendous leap.

I certainly don't need any more guns, but if I can pick up something at a low price I buy it, maybe shoot it a few times, put it in the safe and use it as trade bait.

What's wrong with that?
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Letter says February 2000. Nice gun, nice wood, et cetera, custom classic, but what if it don't shoot?
Oh, I think it'll shoot.. Hehehehe..

Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I certainly don't need any more guns, but if I can pick up something at a low price I buy it, maybe shoot it a few times, put it in the safe and use it as trade bait.

What's wrong with that?
Not a thing; I do it myself.. But that did not go for a 'low price'.. That was ALL the money - ten years from now..
Originally Posted by Redneck
But that did not go for a 'low price'.. That was ALL the money - ten years from now..

Yep. Unless you take inflation into account, in which case I don't think he'll ever make a 'profit'.
Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the buyer doubled his money inside of a year. If you run in the circle of the super-expensive hunting clubs/leases or are in the enviable position of being offered high end hunting opportunities while some corporation foots the bill and money is no object, then likely neither is the price of the firearm. So you show up at one of these places, uncase that beauty (paperwork nearby) and some dude with a "plain" supergrade sees yours and absolutely has to have it. You explain it's from the custom shop, can't get 'em anymore etc, etc, etc, but the dude's gotta have it, and money is no object. He wants that rifle, right now, no waiting, no searching, name your price. $7K you tell him, the money is wired to your account post-haste and the dude slips it into his own companies expense account somewhere.

I don't run in that circle but a few pards do some guiding for pheasents in ND/SD and have clients that show up in their own plane, get driven to the local sporting gun shop, pick out their new shotgun for that week's hunting, and leave it behind at the end of the trip as a "tip" year in-year out. To a guy like that, $3500 for a rifle no one else can get.............
To a guy like that, $3500 for a rifle no one else can get.............

That pretty much says it. With some, it is not about the money. You just got to love that kind of customer and give them what they want.

If it were mine and it didn't shoot good, it would not be long before it did.
To some people the cost of that rifle is pocket money and means very little. Back in the 70's I knew the manager of a sporting goods store in southern Cal. Every year he would buy a limited edition Browning over under shotgun that cost him $12,500. He put a $75,000 price tag on it. It usually took a few months but someone would eventually buy it. Money just doesn't mean much to some.
Why should it suprise you that it went for $3,500.00 why hell just go to eBay and do Search for ham radio's and look at the what some buyers are willing to pay for used equipment that can be purchased new for the same price or less than what it sold for on eBay. the going rate on most used ham epuipment is about 60% of purchase price new.
Thats a interesting rifle. In particular the full octagon shaped barrel right to the receiver and the very fine wood.

I like these gun auctions and classifieds. I can see and even buy guns that I would never have seen local.

Recently I followed an auction on an old gun and I was going to bid up to $625. It went for $750. Thats ok. The fantasy of owning it was fun.

[Linked Image]
I wonder what it would cost to get that thing cerakoted to cut down the glare.
Well, between the two posted links on this page to rifles posted on the net for sale, I'd have to say that between the two, THIS one would be a steal...as compared to the other. I know "I'd" like to own it...Being a "factory" rifle though, the trigger would probably need some work.
Rifle is three + years old it seems as the letter looks to be dated 2006.
© 24hourcampfire