Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
This is a rifle I've been watching for several 'cycles' (times offered for sale on Gunbroker, for those who are new) and I've more or less had a permanent bid on it for $2400 - which, IMHO is maybe a tad low, but in the ballpark.. True worth is maybe $2600 +/-, especially since it's a very common .270..

A newbie jumped right on it:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151194544

These were priced from the factory less than what GM was fishing for in the 'Buy Now' category.. If the buyer is legit and/or a new collector, he better plan on holding onto this rifle for 20 years before he 'may' see a profit, considering the opportunity cost.. Or, he just bought himself one helluva fancy huntin' machine.. laugh

Either way, congrats to the seller..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yikes! eek your right!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Without Box or paperwork, the ONLY way I would touch that rifle for that price is with the Box and paperwork. shocked

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
He did end up finding the hardcase and paperwork on it but still way high IMO.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i say the buyer will hunt with it

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I thought it was gonna have a S.C. stamp on it!!!!!!!

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If you have something that books, appraises, or whatever for a certain price it is only worth that if you find someone willing to pay you that amount for it.
So, obviously that rifle is worth $3500. Maybe not to anyone else in the world but to the guy who bought it it is.

Hemi

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That buyer is an ALL DAY SUCKER

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by heavywalker
He did end up finding the hardcase and paperwork on it but still way high IMO.
Exactly... That's why, w/box/papers/etc., it would really price around $2600+, but no way, unless the buyer really got the hots (and had the bux) for this rifle, would anyone hit the $3500 button..

But, WTH, I've seen just as bad or worse at times on GB.. That site can be more entertaining than a good movie.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just think. He coulda bought a Remington 700 and had almost $3000 for other stuff plus he would have gotten a nice rifle. wink Happy New Year, Lee.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bet the buyer backs out.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
To me it seems a far price to pay for a nice lookin rifle (with wood stock) given what people are paying for plastic stocked stuff at the moment,and that barrel adds a totally differant look to it as well.As somebody else has said its worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it,i`d say good catch for a unique rifle.Just my 2c worth

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think your title for this post was well suited. There is one born every minute. Anybody that hunts with a barrel this heavy either has never done it before or he will only do it once.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excuse my ignorance on Model 70's, but is that a very recent rifle, ie since FN took over Winchester?

I'm not going to comment on what I think the rifles "worth", but I think its a very nice looking rifle, and if the quality matches it looks, I'd be happy to own it...

Last edited by Pete E; 12/30/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was long before FN bought them out by about 30 years.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking rifle, although I think it might be a little heavy for the caliber. I passed up a Super Grade years ago that had similar wood, also a .270, and it was just too heavy. It was 1/3 the price of that gun.

OTH I have always wanted a Deluxe Model 71 Winchester. 20 odd years ago I saw one that was $850 and I thought it was just too expensive. They now sell for 3-4x that much, at least on Gunbroker.

Collectibles are a funny thing. Benchmade had a series of knives made from M2 steel. When they were discontinued it only took a couple years, and prices shot up 2x-3x the previous retail.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MColeman
Just think. He coulda bought a Remington 700 and had almost $3000 for other stuff plus he would have gotten a nice rifle. wink
, Well, YEAH.. But then he woulda had a 'nice' Remington when he really got a superior Winchester.. laugh
Happy New Year, Lee.
And the same to you, Mickey.. Hope you have a great year in 2010..

Originally Posted by bbassi
I bet the buyer backs out.

I'm thinking the same thing.. It could be a fake, or the guy gets a huge ration of buyers remorse... I'm going to keep track of this item and see if it appears again soon..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I think some people just have the money to buy and they don't give it a second thought. I go to bottle shows with my brother and see people asking money like that, just for one old open pontil bitters or medicine bottle that will just sit there in a glass case. When you pick up an old bottle and see a price of 3,500.00 your arms become weak because it's only made of glass and there's a thing called Murphy's law.

Last edited by blklabs; 12/30/09.

I don't like shooting a friends new gun for fear I'll want to buy one!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blklabs
I think some people just have the money to buy and they don't give it a second thought.

That is very true, and I believe that it has hurt and will continue to hurt the causes of hunting, shooting, and gun ownership. There are people with the wherewithall to snap up any and every good deal on a rifle that comes along, either just to have more toys than others or to sell at a higher price. There are those out there of lesser means who might be interested in getting into hunting, shooting, and gun ownership but who are kept from doing so by the fact that there is always someone willing to pay more for what to them would be a single firearm than they are capable of paying. Just offering this as food for thought as regards the future of our pastimes. Best to all, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Letter says February 2000. Nice gun, nice wood, et cetera, custom classic, but what if it don't shoot?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 673, 18 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,865
Posts18,478,668
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.