Home
For Christmas, I bought my mother a bow. It's something she'd done in high school and has been wanting to get back into.

I took her today to get arrows. Turns out they had to custom make them, so it was going to be a while.

Naturally, I gravitated toward the gun section.

[Linked Image]
I finally found one...

I had been looking for a Marlin Camp 45 for quite a while - ever since they stopped producing them.

This one was priced at $299. The owner had a deal with his wife that he'd set it out on the shelf, and if someone hadn't bought it in a few days, he'd keep it for himself.

He was a good sport about it though laugh

I got it home and found it wouldn't feed. Opened it up, and whoever put it together last didn't know the ramp is spring-loaded and the bullet was hitting the bottom of the barrel - it was jammed against it pretty well. :rolleyes:

I got it apart, took the burrs off the ramp caused by it hitting the barrel, and I haven't had one malfunction since.

I was surprised at the recoil from a .45acp rifle, but it's light and handy, and I suppose the blowback operation is what is jolting me (yes, the buffer is in place).

It's working fine with Hydra-Shoks, and it's kinda' cool to have a rifle that will take my pistol's magazines. Cool redundancy.

It also came with a 'scope base, but I really didn't see the point and took it off.

I do believe this one is a keeper!

Josh

Sweet.

BMT
Nice
Very nice. I have often thought of trying to snag one of those.
I've been looking for one for several years and all I have seen have been +$500 so I think you got a he!! of a deal. Always thought one of those with a light attached, they would be a great home defense weapon.
You lucky dog.
Happy New Year!
had been looking for a Marlin Camp 45 for quite a while

Unless I'm terribly mistaken there was a nickel plated one in the classifieds a few months ago.

I always thought they were a neat piece.
Pretty fun rifles. I had a Camp 9 for a while and while it was quite accurate and fun to shoot, it didn't feed reliably. Drove me nuts. Sounds like your .45 is purring along nicely. Have fun!
Mine was a POS, the magwell was too tight, you really had to yank the magazines out of it. It shot well, as far as that goes, but since the magwell was too tight for reasonable use, and it gagged on my usual ammo (a 200 SWC @900fps), I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I don't miss it a bit.
Run the vacuum cleaner Josh! smile smile smile
Originally Posted by T LEE
Run the vacuum cleaner Josh! smile smile smile

Bustin' a gut T.......... laugh
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Mine was a POS, the magwell was too tight, you really had to yank the magazines out of it. It shot well, as far as that goes, but since the magwell was too tight for reasonable use, and it gagged on my usual ammo (a 200 SWC @900fps), I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I don't miss it a bit.

Are you sure the mags were just not dropping free because of the mag disconnect safety? I'm thinking about removing mine; I won't use it on handguns and don't see why I should on a rifle I have for defense.

At the risk of insulting you, though that's not my intention, was the feed ramp positioned correctly?

On mine, some genius didn't put it back together right after detail stripping it, and the ramp was rammed against the bottom of the barrel. It wouldn't even feed ball until I took it apart, stoned off the burrs on the ramp caused by the poor reassembly, and put it back together correctly.

Now it will feed SWC, Hydra-Shok and empty cases (from Wilson mags... everything but empty cases from GI mags.)

Josh
I don't like the vacuum. It scares me.
Originally Posted by Joshua_M_Smith
I don't like the vacuum. It scares me.

I can see that, you and my cats would get along just fine!

Have a Happy New Year Sir.
Nope, the sides of the magwell were just plain too tight. It wouldn't feed from Wilsons, period. I had to use other mags, I actually tore the basepad off a Wilson trying to pull it out. The mags dropped freely from all three Colt pistols I had at the time.
No matter, it's gone, I'm happy, and all is right in my shooting world.
For Christmas, I bought my mother a bow. It's something she'd done in high school and has been wanting to get back into.

I took her today to get arrows. Turns out they had to custom make them, so it was going to be a while.

[Linked Image]
I finally found one...

I had been looking for a Marlin Camp 45 for quite a while - ever since they stopped producing them.

This one was priced at $299. The owner had a deal with his wife that he'd set it out on the shelf, and if someone hadn't bought it in a few days, he'd keep it for himself.

I got it home and found it wouldn't feed. Opened it up, and whoever put it together last didn't know the ramp is spring-loaded and the bullet was hitting the bottom of the barrel - it was jammed against it pretty well. :rolleyes:

I got it apart, took the burrs off the ramp caused by it hitting the barrel, and I haven't had one malfunction since.

I was surprised at the recoil from a .45acp rifle, but it's light and handy, and I suppose the blowback operation is what is jolting me (yes, the buffer is in place).

It's working fine with Hydra-Shoks, and it's kinda' cool to have a rifle that will take my pistol's magazines. Cool redundancy.

It also came with a 'scope base, but I really didn't see the point and took it off.

Josh

That's neat, had no idea there was such a rifle. 10 round mag?
Originally Posted by Barkoff

[Linked Image]
I finally found one...

Josh

That's neat, had no idea there was such a rifle. 10 round mag?

Well, depends on the brand. The cool thing is that it takes 1911 magazines... so I guess I could get a Wilson 10 round mag, or a 25 round drum laugh
nice find have fun
"I was surprised at the recoil from a .45acp rifle, but it's light and handy, and I suppose the blowback operation is what is jolting me (yes, the buffer is in place)."

If it's the original buffer,.....urethane, or spring,

it may have given up some of it's "bounce".

Neat piece, should not be kicking very hard, understanding that the extra barrel length is probably tacking on a signifigant Velocity gain to your regular pistola load.

Sell it to me, and you won't have to worry about those details.

GTC

GTC, I'll swap ya' even up for a Bushmaster or similar quality AR in 6.8 or (preferably) .458 Socom.

Other possible trades include good condition M1, M1A, and M1 Carbine firearms.

wink

Josh
Thanks for the tips, folks!

I just ordered a Blackjack buffer for this carbine (as well as one for my SKS...) and a 21lb Wolff recoil spring (along with another 18.5lb recoil spring for my 1911...). They'll be here in a few days - I have Monday off and they should be here then - and I'll have some much improved rifles.

I better stop spending money now, though... shipping is killing me laugh

Josh
© 24hourcampfire