Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For Christmas, I bought my mother a bow. It's something she'd done in high school and has been wanting to get back into.

I took her today to get arrows. Turns out they had to custom make them, so it was going to be a while.

Naturally, I gravitated toward the gun section.

[Linked Image]
I finally found one...

I had been looking for a Marlin Camp 45 for quite a while - ever since they stopped producing them.

This one was priced at $299. The owner had a deal with his wife that he'd set it out on the shelf, and if someone hadn't bought it in a few days, he'd keep it for himself.

He was a good sport about it though laugh

I got it home and found it wouldn't feed. Opened it up, and whoever put it together last didn't know the ramp is spring-loaded and the bullet was hitting the bottom of the barrel - it was jammed against it pretty well. :rolleyes:

I got it apart, took the burrs off the ramp caused by it hitting the barrel, and I haven't had one malfunction since.

I was surprised at the recoil from a .45acp rifle, but it's light and handy, and I suppose the blowback operation is what is jolting me (yes, the buffer is in place).

It's working fine with Hydra-Shoks, and it's kinda' cool to have a rifle that will take my pistol's magazines. Cool redundancy.

It also came with a 'scope base, but I really didn't see the point and took it off.

I do believe this one is a keeper!

Josh

GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sweet.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nice

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice. I have often thought of trying to snag one of those.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've been looking for one for several years and all I have seen have been +$500 so I think you got a he!! of a deal. Always thought one of those with a light attached, they would be a great home defense weapon.

Dick
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You lucky dog.
Happy New Year!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
had been looking for a Marlin Camp 45 for quite a while

Unless I'm terribly mistaken there was a nickel plated one in the classifieds a few months ago.

I always thought they were a neat piece.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Pretty fun rifles. I had a Camp 9 for a while and while it was quite accurate and fun to shoot, it didn't feed reliably. Drove me nuts. Sounds like your .45 is purring along nicely. Have fun!

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mine was a POS, the magwell was too tight, you really had to yank the magazines out of it. It shot well, as far as that goes, but since the magwell was too tight for reasonable use, and it gagged on my usual ammo (a 200 SWC @900fps), I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I don't miss it a bit.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Run the vacuum cleaner Josh! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by T LEE
Run the vacuum cleaner Josh! smile smile smile

Bustin' a gut T.......... laugh

Dave
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Mine was a POS, the magwell was too tight, you really had to yank the magazines out of it. It shot well, as far as that goes, but since the magwell was too tight for reasonable use, and it gagged on my usual ammo (a 200 SWC @900fps), I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I don't miss it a bit.

Are you sure the mags were just not dropping free because of the mag disconnect safety? I'm thinking about removing mine; I won't use it on handguns and don't see why I should on a rifle I have for defense.

At the risk of insulting you, though that's not my intention, was the feed ramp positioned correctly?

On mine, some genius didn't put it back together right after detail stripping it, and the ramp was rammed against the bottom of the barrel. It wouldn't even feed ball until I took it apart, stoned off the burrs on the ramp caused by the poor reassembly, and put it back together correctly.

Now it will feed SWC, Hydra-Shok and empty cases (from Wilson mags... everything but empty cases from GI mags.)

Josh

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't like the vacuum. It scares me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Joshua_M_Smith
I don't like the vacuum. It scares me.

I can see that, you and my cats would get along just fine!

Have a Happy New Year Sir.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nope, the sides of the magwell were just plain too tight. It wouldn't feed from Wilsons, period. I had to use other mags, I actually tore the basepad off a Wilson trying to pull it out. The mags dropped freely from all three Colt pistols I had at the time.
No matter, it's gone, I'm happy, and all is right in my shooting world.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For Christmas, I bought my mother a bow. It's something she'd done in high school and has been wanting to get back into.

I took her today to get arrows. Turns out they had to custom make them, so it was going to be a while.

[Linked Image]
I finally found one...

I had been looking for a Marlin Camp 45 for quite a while - ever since they stopped producing them.

This one was priced at $299. The owner had a deal with his wife that he'd set it out on the shelf, and if someone hadn't bought it in a few days, he'd keep it for himself.

I got it home and found it wouldn't feed. Opened it up, and whoever put it together last didn't know the ramp is spring-loaded and the bullet was hitting the bottom of the barrel - it was jammed against it pretty well. :rolleyes:

I got it apart, took the burrs off the ramp caused by it hitting the barrel, and I haven't had one malfunction since.

I was surprised at the recoil from a .45acp rifle, but it's light and handy, and I suppose the blowback operation is what is jolting me (yes, the buffer is in place).

It's working fine with Hydra-Shoks, and it's kinda' cool to have a rifle that will take my pistol's magazines. Cool redundancy.

It also came with a 'scope base, but I really didn't see the point and took it off.

Josh

That's neat, had no idea there was such a rifle. 10 round mag?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barkoff

[Linked Image]
I finally found one...

Josh

That's neat, had no idea there was such a rifle. 10 round mag?

Well, depends on the brand. The cool thing is that it takes 1911 magazines... so I guess I could get a Wilson 10 round mag, or a 25 round drum laugh

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
nice find have fun

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"I was surprised at the recoil from a .45acp rifle, but it's light and handy, and I suppose the blowback operation is what is jolting me (yes, the buffer is in place)."

If it's the original buffer,.....urethane, or spring,

it may have given up some of it's "bounce".

Neat piece, should not be kicking very hard, understanding that the extra barrel length is probably tacking on a signifigant Velocity gain to your regular pistola load.

Sell it to me, and you won't have to worry about those details.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
GTC, I'll swap ya' even up for a Bushmaster or similar quality AR in 6.8 or (preferably) .458 Socom.

Other possible trades include good condition M1, M1A, and M1 Carbine firearms.

wink

Josh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (12344mag, 160user, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.