Home
Posted By: AkMtnHntr I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
Got home late yesterday afternoon after a day of riding snowmachines in the mountains. Walked in the house after getting everything put up and the wife mentions that someone was sitting in the driveway before I got home. She said she thought it was me at first so she flipped on the light and saw a Ford Explorer parked in our driveway and they drove off as soon as she flipped on the light. Our driveway is probably 150-200 feet long and if you don't know it's there you'll drive right by it and you can't even see our house from the road. We have a spot of to the side where I keep my trailer and they were just sitting there.

We always lock up our [bleep] when we aren't around but, other than running a chain across my driveway and locking it to a couple tree's, what can I do to deter would be thieves that it's not a good idea to come around my place without an invite?
attack dogs
Posted By: kendibs Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10

you might try putting up a couple of those motion sensor lights. this way when you are home and someone drives up you will know they are there.

-ken

Posted By: mjbgalt Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
i have footprints in the snow all the way around my house like people are looking in my windows.

apparently i need to sit up at night with lights on and clean my shotgun.
Put up beware of Bear Posters...or some of les's jokes, what I recommend to clients is if they cannot afford cameras put up some fake ones and post the property as being under electronic surveillance. Also stickers on the entry points saying you have an alarm system is a good deterant.

That being said it is not always foolproof but I do know it works.

And just because the door is locked does not mean that it will keep them out most professional theives will just go thru a window or other means of entry.

Ground bars laid across your drive will flatten uninvited guests however most folks will stop using them or forget about them once and flatten their own tires then dispose of them.

Minimize access points, stengthen the ones that exist, use the locks on garages, windows, doors, dog entries, etc. remove anything that can be used to help in access such as ladders, or items to break in.

Good luck and maybe call in asking for extra patrols for a while.
put a trail cam where you can get the license # . maybe take a shot of the driver. or even outside the house when they are walking around.
Posted By: Hindsite Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
attack dogs

[Linked Image] grin
You can get a wireless driveway sensor that sounds a warning in the house whenever the beam is broken. It would at least tell you somebody is coming up the drive - provided somebody is home to hear it.

Do report the suspicious activity to the police. At the minimum, you'd have a record of it if you ever needed to use force to repel boarders.
Rocky hit it dead on!
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
If I wanted to case someone, I would not park in their driveway to do it. The guy is either really stupid or not casing. Are you expecting to get served with any papers?
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
I've always found that bouncin bettys got the ones that the claymores missed...
a couple just parking for a bit of heavy petting?
Actually for many pro burglars they want to be obvious about it so the neighbors do not think anything of it.

Workers, company, etc.

Even had one guy dress in a suit and carry his tools in a breifcase went right thru the front door on a busy street midday.

Posted By: roundoak Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
If the activity continues put up a trailcam (infrared). Four years ago there was a rash of breakins in the county where my cabin is and I got hit. I shrugged it off as a random occurence until the following spring I had a canoe stolen. The canoe was near the building chained and padlocked to a guywire ground anchor. Someone cut the chain...canoe gone.

Put up a trailcam focused on the double-wide gate entrance. Three months later...Ah-huh! Got em. License plate of truck led to the arrest of 5 individuals.
what I recommend to clients is if they cannot afford cameras put up some fake ones and post the property as being under electronic surveillance. Also stickers on the entry points saying you have an alarm system is a good deterant.
Ground bars laid across your drive will flatten uninvited guests however most folks will stop using them or forget about them once and flatten their own tires then dispose of them.
We have thought about the fake camera and stickers also and that might be the way we go. Also considered the ground bars as well but eventually it would end up costing me some new tires.

You can get a wireless driveway sensor that sounds a warning in the house whenever the beam is broken. It would at least tell you somebody is coming up the drive

Never thought about this, we might have to look into it.

Appreciate the advice so far. Sure wish I would have pulled into the driveway before those clows left, there would have been no way they could have got out of there with me blocking the driveway.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
I'd always thought a no trespassing sign with bullet holes shot from the direction of the house would leave a pretty good message.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
Geeze...

Guy pulls of the road so he doesn't get busted for gettin a BJ while drivin and look what happens. whistle

grin
Posted By: byc Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You can get a wireless driveway sensor that sounds a warning in the house whenever the beam is broken. It would at least tell you somebody is coming up the drive - provided somebody is home to hear it.

My Dad put up 3 from Northern Tool and they work great! He jumps up every time it goes off. Cheap too---only like $50 I think.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
In my experience, most residential burgs are done in broad daylight. People don't pay much mind to someone walking down a driveway in the daytime. Helll, most passersby have NO idea who belongs there. Trailcam idea has merit. If it was to be a "hot" burg, either have a way out or the artillery unlimbered and KNOW where all YOUR people are!!!
Might have to get a trail cam for when we aren't home, only thing is that it will eat batteries during the winter. This summer we are going to put a gate up that will be locked but until then we need to do everything we can to prevent someone from stealing from us.
Posted By: Allen917 Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
I live on a busy highway about 7 miles from town. It simply amazes me the number of people that stop in my driveway to talk on thier cell phones, comb thier hair, or what ever. My cockerspaniels love to watch the traffic go by and always let us know if someone stops.

I also get more than my fair share of bums claiming that they have run out of gas or need to use the phone. After dark, I usually meet these folks at the door with a shiney nickel plated S&W 29 stuck in my waistband. It seems to draw their attention, and brings out generous offers to pay for the gas or phone.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
If I wanted to case someone, I would not park in their driveway to do it. The guy is either really stupid or not casing. Are you expecting to get served with any papers?

Is this a voice of experience speaking?

Just kidding. I agree. IMHO anybody casing the joint would not pull into your driveway. Maybe it was just a wrong turn.

fish head
Posted By: norm99 Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Is this a voice of experience speaking?

Just kidding. I agree. IMHO anybody casing the joint would not pull into your driveway. Maybe it was just a wrong turn.

fish head

yea well when you have long drive you are even more not noticed had it happen to me about 10,000 worth ..
gate is honest deterent but bolt cutters are allways handy for those guys..

I would do gate and trail cam if i could do it over ...new owner put gate up driveway over 2 miles long totaly seculeded..

I HATE THIVES WITH A PASSION.. mad
Posted By: T LEE Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
i have footprints in the snow all the way around my house like people are looking in my windows.

apparently i need to sit up at night with lights on and clean my shotgun.

Nope, no lights and a loaded shotgun!
Posted By: GunGeek Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
Ak,

Being a former bodyguard, I know a thing or two about security; here's the basics. The four cornerstones of security; learn this, get creative with it and you're all set.

Deter
Detect
Delay
Respond

Deterrence � This can be motion sensing lights, large dogs in the yard or one of the little alarm signs sticking out of the grass telling them you have a security system. A neighborhood littered with Neighborhood Watch signs is a good idea. Always have an NRA sticker in your window where it can easily be seen from the street, and I also recommend putting a Liberty Safes sticker or something of the sort in there too.

Detect � Again, the motion sensing lights, or an alarm that goes off inside the house (sometimes it�s an internal light that goes on to silently alert you). A great one is the motion sensing light that goes on and stays on for about 10 minutes, makes them think someone is looking at them. The ultimate is the very vocal dog; just about foolproof.

Delay � Security fences, rose bushes under windows, GOOD locks and dead bolts. If you�re really paranoid, consider something like bird spikes on the outside window cill�s, which make climbing in very inconvenient. A simple board in a sliding door track makes it very difficult to get past a sliding door. There are any number of window locks that are very good. But here's the thing about locks...you have to use them. One window left cracked open defeats every last security measure you have.

Respond � Here�s where the alarm system comes in. Yes, this is detect, but it doesn�t detect until they�re already inside the house. If you want to minimize loss, then make sure your alarm has a very loud external noise source, bell or horn.

Dogs � The properly trained dog can be all 4 of the security cornerstones. We easily drop a grand on a gun, but the same into a well trained dog is a very wise investment.

A sense of community � Neighborhood watch friggin works, period. Get to know your neighbors, get to know them well. Your introduction could be your informing them that your house has been cased, which should concern them, because their house could be next. Find out their schedules and habits and organize.

There are any number of twists to the four cornerstones of security, so get creative thinking about your particular needs.
Posted By: bea175 Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
anti personal mines and few claymore around the property.
Posted By: Redneck Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Ak,

Being a former bodyguard, I know a thing or two about security; here's the basics. The four cornerstones of security; learn this, get creative with it and you're all set.

Deter
Detect
Delay
Respond

Deterrence – This can be motion sensing lights, large dogs in the yard or one of the little alarm signs sticking out of the grass telling them you have a security system. A neighborhood littered with Neighborhood Watch signs is a good idea. Always have an NRA sticker in your window where it can easily be seen from the street, and I also recommend putting a Liberty Safes sticker or something of the sort in there too.

Detect – Again, the motion sensing lights, or an alarm that goes off inside the house (sometimes it’s an internal light that goes on to silently alert you). A great one is the motion sensing light that goes on and stays on for about 10 minutes, makes them think someone is looking at them. The ultimate is the very vocal dog; just about foolproof.

Delay – Security fences, rose bushes under windows, GOOD locks and dead bolts. If you’re really paranoid, consider something like bird spikes on the outside window cill’s, which make climbing in very inconvenient. A simple board in a sliding door track makes it very difficult to get past a sliding door. There are any number of window locks that are very good. But here's the thing about locks...you have to use them. One window left cracked open defeats every last security measure you have.

Respond – Here’s where the alarm system comes in. Yes, this is detect, but it doesn’t detect until they’re already inside the house. If you want to minimize loss, then make sure your alarm has a very loud external noise source, bell or horn.

Dogs – The properly trained dog can be all 4 of the security cornerstones. We easily drop a grand on a gun, but the same into a well trained dog is a very wise investment.

A sense of community – Neighborhood watch friggin works, period. Get to know your neighbors, get to know them well. Your introduction could be your informing them that your house has been cased, which should concern them, because their house could be next. Find out their schedules and habits and organize.

There are any number of twists to the four cornerstones of security, so get creative thinking about your particular needs.
Good post, Kevin, and right on..
I'm going to look into the fake video cameras and signage, already have 2 dogs but don't know how they would react to someone breaking into our house. We cannot be seen from the street unless you look real hard and in the summer, you can just about forget it. I know my neighbors well and they have had trouble with thieves in the past but not recently. I'm amazed at some of the stuff my neighbors leave unguarded, snowmachines, boats and trailers, atvs and they have not had anything stolen.
Should someone be stupiid enough to break in while i'm there, they will be in for a rude awakening when I point Mr 44 at them with those solids being visible in the cylinders.

Funny thing about the motion sensor lights, we originally had them when we bought our house but I took them down and put up regular lights, the motion sensor lights were driving me crazy
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
I too have done security work and KG is right.

Stop gap measure for me would be...

1) Motion sensor lights at the end of the driveway and and a sign that says they are on camera. (lighted up and on camera, no crook wants his pic taken)
2) Have the motion detectors wired to 2 lights in house. Bedroom and room with front door. If the room with front door is put on a timer and delayed for 30 seconds it would be better. (no crook wants to see activity in house)

This would be the basic stop gap deterent, until you get the gates.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
Have you seen the movie "Second Hand Lions"?

seems to work..

I always shoot lots round my place. Word spreads..
How about a security system that is monitored...they break in and alarm goes off and monitoring company gets LEO on the way...I pay less than $20 a month for monitoring as well as smoke and fire detection tied into the service...fire department comes fast...don't ask
Yep, saw the movie but we cannot shoot in our neighborhood, unless of course it's at a criminal or a maurading bear.

dvdgeorge, that's something else i'm thinking about though i'm not sure if they offer that here in our neck of the woods.
Should someone be stupiid enough to break in while i'm there, they will be in for a rude awakening when I point Mr 44 at them with those solids being visible in the cylinders.

I think criminals deserve hollow points!
I'd look into it....cheap insurance and it also acts as a deterrent, monitoring company will give you yard signs and window stickers...criminals will usually not want any part of that and look for a more easily accessible target
Also a large breed dog that barks is a good deterrent, doesn't necessarily have to be attack train, usually criminal doesn't want to find out if it's vicious first hand
I know it would make the wife feel better if they offer that up here. I've got a lab that barks at any kind of noise outside, might be why we haven't had any visitors come by in the past.
Posted By: smithwr Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
My drive is about like what your talking about. 500 yrd long easement thru the neighbor in front of me. I used to have people come up and turn around all the time, just lookin around i guess. I put up two motion flood lights on the entrance that shine right in the drivers eyes from each side and a private property sign. Its a bitch to drive thru these lights, but if you know their there its not such a suprise. Has worked so far.
Sounds like I should put a private property sign too. Or I could do like that old fella over in North Pole use to do and put up a sign that says "Trespassers will be shot on sight".
I always liked the sign on the driveway that said:

"If you're reading this you're in range."

I remember the one on Nordale Road:

Trespassers will be shot!

Survivors will be prosecuted.

Newer version:

Trespassers will be shot!

Survivors will be shot again!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: I think we're being cased - 02/09/10
Seems in this day and age of cheap, wireless, digital electronics anybody with anything to lose could afford some sort of security system.
Problem with mounted game cameras outside is battery draw unless your camera is connected to a solar charger and is set close enough to get a good photo.

Problem with dogs is with one zap of pepper spray or alum and a way to get away they are not a deterrant enough unless your home to give advanced warning.

Security companies are good but make sure they are a quality company and actually react to alarms. Ask around about them and check with your insurance carrier for recommendations and insurance discounts.

Also talk to your neighbors let them know your concerns so they are also on the look out.

Personally do not advertise you have guns it just tells them that you do have something worth stealing. If they are good enough to case a location a safe is nothing unless anchored and most arent.

Keep us in the loop on how things go.
Concerning safes, mines anchored to the floor and the wall with some hella stout bolts and it's hidden in a bedroom closet. I've got serial #s and pictures of them though they could steal my pistola without looking to hard. I'm pretty sure everyone in the 'hood know's I hunt since I have wheelers and the occasional moose rack outside. One of my neighbors is retired so he's home a lot and my other neighbor, well, he isn't of much help since he's hardly ever home. I'm in a pretty peaceful neighborhood and for that I am thankful but sometimes they come with a price, hopefully I won't have to pay it.

I think the fake camera and signs should do the trick for now and i'll look into the home security service when I get a chance. As per usual, you gents have been a great help and for that I thanks you.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: I think we're being cased - 02/10/10
The thing to remember is you don't have to make your house 100% thief proof as that isn't possible. You want to make your house more difficult to rob than the rest in the neighborhood. Thieves won't go to the trouble of hitting a difficult to rob house if there are easier marks in the neighborhood.

Posted By: bcp Re: I think we're being cased - 02/10/10
A light beam type driveway detector on a rural driveway is OK if you don't have deer. If you do it goes off too much.

Bruce
Posted By: NathanL Re: I think we're being cased - 02/10/10
My grandmother had something similar happen and I investigated. Turned out to be a guy reading the meter, which they only do about once every 3 months now lol.
Posted By: LouisB Re: I think we're being cased - 02/11/10
Either I rea something that ws not there, or folks missed something.

"Tracks around the house" not likely from a "driveway lover"

I go with Rocky, report as much as possible to police, local patrol may see more of such a vehicle and pull it over for probable cause.
© 24hourcampfire