Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got home late yesterday afternoon after a day of riding snowmachines in the mountains. Walked in the house after getting everything put up and the wife mentions that someone was sitting in the driveway before I got home. She said she thought it was me at first so she flipped on the light and saw a Ford Explorer parked in our driveway and they drove off as soon as she flipped on the light. Our driveway is probably 150-200 feet long and if you don't know it's there you'll drive right by it and you can't even see our house from the road. We have a spot of to the side where I keep my trailer and they were just sitting there.

We always lock up our [bleep] when we aren't around but, other than running a chain across my driveway and locking it to a couple tree's, what can I do to deter would be thieves that it's not a good idea to come around my place without an invite?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
attack dogs

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

you might try putting up a couple of those motion sensor lights. this way when you are home and someone drives up you will know they are there.

-ken

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i have footprints in the snow all the way around my house like people are looking in my windows.

apparently i need to sit up at night with lights on and clean my shotgun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Put up beware of Bear Posters...or some of les's jokes, what I recommend to clients is if they cannot afford cameras put up some fake ones and post the property as being under electronic surveillance. Also stickers on the entry points saying you have an alarm system is a good deterant.

That being said it is not always foolproof but I do know it works.

And just because the door is locked does not mean that it will keep them out most professional theives will just go thru a window or other means of entry.

Ground bars laid across your drive will flatten uninvited guests however most folks will stop using them or forget about them once and flatten their own tires then dispose of them.

Minimize access points, stengthen the ones that exist, use the locks on garages, windows, doors, dog entries, etc. remove anything that can be used to help in access such as ladders, or items to break in.

Good luck and maybe call in asking for extra patrols for a while.

IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
put a trail cam where you can get the license # . maybe take a shot of the driver. or even outside the house when they are walking around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
attack dogs

[Linked Image] grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can get a wireless driveway sensor that sounds a warning in the house whenever the beam is broken. It would at least tell you somebody is coming up the drive - provided somebody is home to hear it.

Do report the suspicious activity to the police. At the minimum, you'd have a record of it if you ever needed to use force to repel boarders.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rocky hit it dead on!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I wanted to case someone, I would not park in their driveway to do it. The guy is either really stupid or not casing. Are you expecting to get served with any papers?

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've always found that bouncin bettys got the ones that the claymores missed...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a couple just parking for a bit of heavy petting?

GOA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Actually for many pro burglars they want to be obvious about it so the neighbors do not think anything of it.

Workers, company, etc.

Even had one guy dress in a suit and carry his tools in a breifcase went right thru the front door on a busy street midday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the activity continues put up a trailcam (infrared). Four years ago there was a rash of breakins in the county where my cabin is and I got hit. I shrugged it off as a random occurence until the following spring I had a canoe stolen. The canoe was near the building chained and padlocked to a guywire ground anchor. Someone cut the chain...canoe gone.

Put up a trailcam focused on the double-wide gate entrance. Three months later...Ah-huh! Got em. License plate of truck led to the arrest of 5 individuals.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
what I recommend to clients is if they cannot afford cameras put up some fake ones and post the property as being under electronic surveillance. Also stickers on the entry points saying you have an alarm system is a good deterant.
Ground bars laid across your drive will flatten uninvited guests however most folks will stop using them or forget about them once and flatten their own tires then dispose of them.
We have thought about the fake camera and stickers also and that might be the way we go. Also considered the ground bars as well but eventually it would end up costing me some new tires.

You can get a wireless driveway sensor that sounds a warning in the house whenever the beam is broken. It would at least tell you somebody is coming up the drive

Never thought about this, we might have to look into it.

Appreciate the advice so far. Sure wish I would have pulled into the driveway before those clows left, there would have been no way they could have got out of there with me blocking the driveway.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd always thought a no trespassing sign with bullet holes shot from the direction of the house would leave a pretty good message.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Geeze...

Guy pulls of the road so he doesn't get busted for gettin a BJ while drivin and look what happens. whistle

grin

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You can get a wireless driveway sensor that sounds a warning in the house whenever the beam is broken. It would at least tell you somebody is coming up the drive - provided somebody is home to hear it.

My Dad put up 3 from Northern Tool and they work great! He jumps up every time it goes off. Cheap too---only like $50 I think.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my experience, most residential burgs are done in broad daylight. People don't pay much mind to someone walking down a driveway in the daytime. Helll, most passersby have NO idea who belongs there. Trailcam idea has merit. If it was to be a "hot" burg, either have a way out or the artillery unlimbered and KNOW where all YOUR people are!!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Might have to get a trail cam for when we aren't home, only thing is that it will eat batteries during the winter. This summer we are going to put a gate up that will be locked but until then we need to do everything we can to prevent someone from stealing from us.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (BlackHunter, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 8 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,434
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.