Home
Posted By: RWE Should've got a bigger dog...... - 03/10/10
Most pet owners take steps to protect their animals. In Santa Rosa, California, Odessa Gunn worried a car or coyote might one day claim the lives of her dogs, which is why she and her husband, renowned American bicyclist Levi Leipheimer, fenced in their property.

But now they're mourning the loss of their beloved Chihuahua, Trooper, and nursing their other dog, Bandit, back to health. The attacker came from an unlikely place -- the sky.

Gunn had just let her dogs out into the backyard and was preparing to join them. She recalls, "in the time it took me to put my boots on, I heard what sounded like a really horrendous cat screeching noise. I thought it was a mountain lion or a bobcat or something."

In fact, it was a pair of Great Horned Owls, birds that typically eat rats and squirrels. On this recent night, the birds set their sites on larger prey. From out of the darkness, the two owls swooped down and attacked Trooper and Bandit, just feet away from where Gunn stood.

After a violent struggle, Bandit escaped, bloody and limping, but Trooper was carried off and hasn't been seen since. No fur. No blood. Nothing.

While there are really no good statistics on the frequency of such attacks, wildlife experts say they're rare but almost always lethal. In many ways, owls are the perfect predators; they approach without warning, and their razor-sharp talons can snatch a pooch or cat two two three times their own body weight.

This is a particularly active hunting time for owls. As homeowners encroach on the birds' natural habitat, attacks on pets could become more problematic.

Right now, baby owls are hatching, so pet owners should keep an ear out for the distinctive hoots of these fiercely protective birds, and stay well clear. It's also a good idea to keep small pets indoors when the sun is down, or walk them on a leash. If the owls recognize something as prey, they won't discern the fact that it's somebody's pet.
A couple of weeks ago our 50 lb. Springer got excited and wanted to go out around midnight. She made a dash for some evergreens at the back of our yard, and I happened to see a large bird silhouetted against the sky, which I assume was a great horned owl.

I don't know if an owl would attack something that big, but I'm thinking it might if it perceived a threat.

Paul
I'll bet they could find Trooper under the owl's nest in some of those little regurgitated balls of fur and bones that owls drop.

I wish I had a few of those owls around my neighborhood. The lady next door has four chi-hua-huas that bark incessantly all hours of the day and night.

Alan

Aren't Chihuahuas and rates the same thing. The Owl just did what came naturally.
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
Aren't Chihuahuas and rats the same thing. The Owl just did what came naturally.

Yeah, I'm thinking the only thing different here, as far as the owls were concerned, is that it tasted like chicken....
I heard a cat and an owl go at it one night by the reststop on Hwy 12 up near Randle. You sure knew they were both fully committed to the battle, but I have no clue as to who won.
That had to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, hearing that.
Chihuahuas,

I am trying to see the big loss here...

I'd be more concerned that it might have given the Owl indigestion, or dehydrated it after suffering a bad cases of the runs...

I know that over by the Steens Mountain Preserve in eastern Oregon, the biggest killer of young antelope are not coyotes but Eagles!

One lady locally had posted that she lost her little Chihuahua with a reward sign and put it on all the phone poles at street corners here in my semi rural neighborhood.
she was offering a $100.00 reward for it's return...

I commented to my son, that poor dumb broad doesn't have a clue it was probably coyote crap by this point..

so Seafire Jr asks me.. 'so dad, do you think if I put some coyote poop in a zip lock bag, and took it to her front door and said here is her dog back, and gave my apologies... do you think she would still give me the $100.00 reward?'

Don't ya love kids?
Originally Posted by Seafire
Chihuahuas,

Yep..should rename the thread " Should've got a dog..."

On a lighter note, I once saw a Bald Eagle take a toy poodle...it was precious...

Ingwe
Need to tailor some saddlebags for those Chihuahuas, and load em up with fishing weights...
I laughed so hard when I read that.
maybe I'm a jerk for doing it, but it just struck me as funny
Believe it or not, my daughter had a little tortoise shell calico cat that weighed about 7 pounds. A great horned got her one night and when the dust cleared Shadow was eating owl.
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
Aren't Chihuahuas and rats the same thing. The Owl just did what came naturally.

Yeah, I'm thinking the only thing different here, as far as the owls were concerned, is that it tasted like chicken....

Actually chicken burritos...;)

Aqualung
I don't doubt it. I've personally seen a local owl grab a big rat and fly away with it, and by his size he could have taken a pocket-sized dog just as easily.
Terry and family have some tough cats!

Paul
Shadow was a real piece of work, hunter extraordinaire, forever bringing home dead rats, squirrels, rabbits, snakes, birds of all kinds including a Red Tail hawk one time. 'Yote finally got her dammit! I got the 'yote though. smile smile
Originally Posted by ingwe
Chihuahuas,

Yep..should rename the thread " Should've got a dog..."

On a lighter note, I once saw a Bald Eagle take a toy poodle...it was precious...

Ingwe

I bet JM would say Buddy Moore would be able to take care of business with that owl even if Buddy Moore was wearing a rainbow sweater. Buddy Moore is one badass dog. grin

Clyde
Buddy Moore is a wuss!
Most of the greater birds look at little dogs like Chihuahua's and SchitZus as Happy meals. shocked
Yep, fast food take out.
Mom has a SchitZu........ shocked Sure hope they keep the vultures away, I do understand the cats in the house think the same thing. wink
If the cat has claws and can twist around the bird is the one in deep kimche. Dogs is a different story.
Chihuahuas - As a kid, had an aunt who used to raise about two litters a year of those things.

They would sit on the heated floor vents in the wintertime, shaking and shivering. If you forgot and got within a foot or so, they would run out and bite you on the shin.

In the hot summertime, they still sit on the floor vents even at 90 degrees, shaking & shivering.

Only difference, they would run out about 5 or six feet and bite you on the shin.

Only dog breed I'm biased against,....... guess that is why.
As long as you appreciate the birds who win smile

Like someone else said....get a bigger dog.

My family has three...I have one...Black Lab...no worries here.
best javalina dog i ever saw was a chihuahua. belong to a buddy that lived on the kingranch, when we were growing up in kingsville. his dad was a vaquero on the ranch and that little dog went everywhere with him
Hey, birds gotta eat too.
glad you qualified that
see....I knew you were diplomatic
I get along just fine with my sisters 2 chiuahuas. Of course since she lives in Louisianna and only see them about every 2 years they don't get to the point that they bug me.
Just a realist.
We had an owl family set up in the woods. They got one of the neighbor cats, from looking at the sign, the owl got the cat airborne, the cat got dropped from height, and then the owls had supper.
A friend lost one of his Chihuahuas to a hawk a few years ago - he let the dog out while he was working on the car, wasn't paying attention for a minute, and poof, no dog. Since then his other two never go outside.

I can't see getting one, but his other two Chihuahuas are actually okay dogs. He had a Superbowl party, and one of them jumped on the couch, climbed up my lap and vigorously licked my face, even though I'd never met him before. I don't mind them, if they are friendly.

A friend's neighbor in Southern California had a Scottie pup in the back yard. She went outside, looked up, and a gen-u-eine California Condor was sitting on a pole, eyeing the dog grin She said it looked like a man in a cape it was so damn big.

My cats stay inside. One would die of fright if she went out, and Bandit is so curious and friendly, he'd get killed, eaten, or kidnapped. No fear of people, dogs, or anything. Two different cat haters have admitted they like him.
[Linked Image]

I was worried my wife's new pooch would end up as owl food when he was a pup. I made sure I stayed close when we let him out at night.
Originally Posted by remseven
Chihuahuas - As a kid, had an aunt who used to raise about two litters a year of those things.

They would sit on the heated floor vents in the wintertime, shaking and shivering. If you forgot and got within a foot or so, they would run out and bite you on the shin.

In the hot summertime, they still sit on the floor vents even at 90 degrees, shaking & shivering.

Only difference, they would run out about 5 or six feet and bite you on the shin.

Only dog breed I'm biased against,....... guess that is why.

Thanks for that. I hadn't laughed really hard all day, until I read that.
+1 for the Owls!
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
jumped on the couch, climbed up my lap and vigorously licked my face,

If anything ever does that to me it better be my wife or look like Elle Macpherson!

Alan

I commented to my son, that poor dumb broad doesn't have a clue it was probably coyote crap by this point..

so Seafire Jr asks me.. 'so dad, do you think if I put some coyote poop in a zip lock bag, and took it to her front door and said here is her dog back, and gave my apologies... do you think she would still give me the $100.00 reward?'

Don't ya love kids?

You done raised that boy right. Give yerself a pat on the back.

My brother and his wife Miniature long hair Chihuahua� as if a regular Chihuahua was not small enough.

Wish some hungry hawk or pigeon would help him reclaim his manhood

My stepmother asked if we were concerned if our cocker (as a puppy) would be safe enough outside while we were at work, concerned that the hawks would get it.

My daughter said that if the thing was too stupid to walk into the yard without looking around first then we didn't want it....

I sighted a pair of Great Horned Owls for the first time in our neighbourhood this winter. Nice suburban area. Mind you, we also get deer, rabbits, skunks, raccoons, etc.
I was at a gas station near Mile 150 on the Alaska Highway about 20 years ago. We were filling up all our tanks, on the way to a hunt.

Suddenly we heard a terrible wailing shriek coming from a woman out in a field near the gas station.

We all dropped what we were doing, and ran towards her as fast as we could run.

Sobbing hysterically she pointed to the sky.

There, struggling to gain altitude, was a huge Golden Eagle flying off - while packing her sweater-wearing Chihuahua beneath it.

It seems she had taken it out of their big RV, walked to a nearby field - and let it off the lead for a run, when the eagle swept down on it.

Her husband, who was filling up the RV, muttered under his breath to my buddy - "God I hate that dog - I hope the eagle doesn't drop it!" - all the while, standing alongside his RV, looking relatively unconcerned, and continuing to fuel his vehicle up.

When we heard the story later, from our buddy, about what the guy had said - we almost broke our ribs laughing.

Cruel men we are.
Dino says "Bring it on, owl!"

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire