Home
Or for that matter how can it even be legal? All just to set a new world record for youngest girl to sail solo around the world.

In my opinion people have been held for child neglect for a lot less.

I hope they hold the parents responsible for the search and rescue cost!

Phil

Stupid ones

Mike
They are the kind of parents that would sacrafice there kids to get rich. bottom feeders IMO.
Have to agree with the above. ED
I'm glad they found her alive and well after I guess a pretty massive search and rescue. But seems to me like a very stupid stunt.

Phil
Of course, it could be said that they could live in a culture where this sort of thing is accepted, or it could be said that if they stopped her from doing it now, she would just do it eventually anyway, or it could be said that anyone who thinks that their sixteen-year-old isn't doing risky things, they are deluding themself, or you get the idea. (Hopefully it is apparent that I don't believe any of these things.)
at least she can't get pregnant or date a black guy while doing that.
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Or for that matter how can it even be legal? All just to set a new world record for youngest girl to sail solo around the world.

In my opinion people have been held for child neglect for a lot less.

I hope they hold the parents responsible for the search and rescue cost!

Phil

Can't argue with the last statement at all..

At the same time, aren't we as parents supposed to encourage our children to excel? To do things bigger/better that we did? To 'find themselves' and/or go down the road in life wherever it takes them? My main point is they should have not allowed her to try this little stunt until she's 18.. Then, she's on her own..

Sorry, but have to respectfully disagree with all of you.....

Is your main reason for compalaining that she is 16? Many 16 year olds have served in combat, graduated college, and many other feats that "adults" fail to accomplish.

She's an experienced sailor, trained for this expedition, and logically planned the trip. She had good equipment, and the great common sense to call for help when her EQUIPMENT failed, not her nor her ability.

At 16 it's okay for her to drive a car across the country, but not a sailboat??? Don't get it....

I'm glad things worked out in her situation...sounds like quite a plucky girl!
Some of you obviously don't have 16 year old daughters at home.

Sometimes, I'd have preferred mine swam across.
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick

Have you looked at photos of the Somali pirates lately?
The kind looking for publicity and recognition. The same kind that thought it was a good idea for Jessica to fly her plane (with an instructor even) back when, only to have that end result.
obviously they did a lot more than "let her go".....they bought her a boat, planned the logistics, handled the media, etc etc.

seems like an awfully risky stunt to let your daughter try....one with a real significant risk of death

I heard a story on the news this morning that the parents are evangelical Christians and believed that it was (1) she was prepared spiritually for the trip and, (2) God would look after her. I believe that they are nuts, but I�m glad she�s OK
Her 17 year-old bother completed the same solo sailing trip a year ago - I guess it was her turn.
To put your child's life behind fame and notoriety should be punishable by death.....

Child endangerment at the very least should be just for starters.

Tis a sick world we live in.
I'm thinking a kid that can sail a boat around the world solo will be better equiped for life then one whose parents strap a helmut on their head and insist they be escourted with armed guards wherever they go.

Sure, there are risks in adventure sports and when pushing the limits. But IMHO the risks of a life not lived are much greater.

I dunno.. Don't parents allow their 17 year olds to sign up for the military? Did parents allow 16 year old kids fight in the revolutionary and civil wars?

To be honest with you, I'd like my boys to meet her and shake her hand. Ma nature [bleep] her up, and if the stars had aligned, she's have made it all the way around.

I've been in 25ft seas btw.. She has to be one tough gal.
George Washington gladly took 16 year olds for the army, but no younger.

Depends on the 16 year old, but a lot of them are capable of a lot more than they are allowed to do in our nanny state. Heck, how dangerous is it to grow up on a working ranch up in the Rockies?
Back then 16 year olds actually worked and were worth something. Now most teens are playing XBox 360, playing online, or complaining about something. Not all, but a lot.
Originally Posted by isaac
Some of you obviously don't have 16 year old daughters at home.

Sometimes, I'd have preferred mine swam across.

LOL - Amen

I have a 16 year old daughter now. I doubt she could navigate to the other side of the city lately. I find it remarkable that this young lady would have the stones to even try. Good for her.

and FWIW, I doubt the parents were "in it for the money". Funny how I didn't hear about their son doing it last year until just now.
Working on a ranch or signing up for the military at age 17 to defend your country isn't in the same realm as letting your child sail around the world to set a record and nothing more.

Kids and ourselves are in danger everyday when we get inside a car for a commute, but to send your child out alone on a venture like that is endangerment, pure and simple.

How old was she when she really started to learn how to sail? How old is a kid before they start learning and figuring stuff like that out? My son is 8 and he's a sponge on everything I expose him to, including boating, but his attention span is that of an 8 year old, not an adult.
Give him 8 years and he's probably where she was. In fairness, she might have 4 decent years of experience, with only 8 years of solid cognitive thought. That's not enough to be making a trip like that.
Originally Posted by Tony270WSM
Back then 16 year olds actually worked and were worth something. Now most teens are playing XBox 360, playing online, or complaining about something. Not all, but a lot.

Sometimes I think the best thing I could do for my 14 year old's is to go drop them off for a month on a remote island and let them fend for themselves. Of course legally I can't do it, but damn kids these days sure have a learned helplessness.
She didn't make it? Try again...you miss 100% of the shots you never take. I bet this is not the last you'll hear of her.

Originally Posted by frogman43

Is your main reason for compalaining that she is 16? Many 16 year olds have served in combat, graduated college, and many other feats that "adults" fail to accomplish.

She's an experienced sailor, trained for this expedition, and logically planned the trip. She had good equipment, and the great common sense to call for help when her EQUIPMENT failed, not her nor her ability.

At 16 it's okay for her to drive a car across the country, but not a sailboat??? Don't get it....

then if its ok for her to go joy riding around the world, her parents should foot the bill for her rescue if her thrill seeking and record seeking vernture goes awry.

I am SO sick of vanity thrill mavens screwing up, and we have to foot the bill.
But sometimes you're just not ready to take the shot. When the consequences are potentially that high, is best to wait until you are fully ready, not take a shot at it now.
Fully agree with Mannlicher about the parents footing the rescue bill. There is no reason they shouldn't in this case.
Originally Posted by Tony270WSM
But sometimes you're just not ready to take the shot. When the consequences are potentially that high, is best to wait until you are fully ready, not take a shot at it now.

You are assuming though that she wasn't ready. Mother nature can be a b!tch, and many adults who have prepared for a lifetime have had the same thing happen.

I also don't know how some of you know what her and her parents intentions are.
In answer to your original question. Parents that are extremely confident in their child's abilities.
I don't see the rescue anything more than what they do everyday.They rescue people just out for a sail to wherever and things go wrong. Just because she is 16 and alone this is a bad thing? I don't think so ,hooray for her. Most kids are too lazy to get off the couch. I think her trip is an inspiration for young people. Good on her ,go for it. The Sail Boat she is sailing cost quite a bunch of dollars so I think Dad and Mom is helping out a lot. Yes her brother had already done it.
Given she's only 16 I am assuming she isn't ready to sail the world by herself. Why not just wait two more years until 18? Two more years of sailing experience. A legal adult at that point, can choose to do it on her own. At 16, seems like it was at least partially based on the publicity it would get rather than just doing it for the accomplishment itself.
Originally Posted by frogman43

+1 frogman.

Lots of good reasons to let a 16 year old daughter do that.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Sometimes I think the best thing I could do for my 14 year old's is to go drop them off for a month on a remote island and let them fend for themselves. Of course legally I can't do it, but damn kids these days sure have a learned helplessness.

Legally you can't? why not? as long as you are going for some kind of a record I guess it is OK...... sailboat alone, in the mountains alone, same same right? It is all about presentation. wink
If the parents pushed her, then I agree that's horrible. If however she was driven by this goal, and they supported her, I see nothing wrong with that.

I guess my viewpoint is different because I have a 15 y/o daughter that is an incredible kid. I could see how a girl with the same self motivation and skills could go after such a goal and succeed, or have a good shot at it weather permitting. Not to say I'd want my daughter to go after such a goal solo, but to say there are extraordinary kids out there, not all kids want to just sit on their buts and text their friends, hang out at the mall and expect everything to be done for them.

Not everyone that tries to break a record does so for fame and fortune. Many are driven by pushing themselves to be their best and rise above a challenge.
How many times did Steve Fossett try before he did the world in a balloon? Dream big-win big.
Personnally I agree its to much for a 16yr old but guess what, she's not my kid (or your kid for that matter) so its none of our business. I would hold her parents responsible for whatever happens though.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
George Washington gladly took 16 year olds for the army, but no younger.

Depends on the 16 year old, but a lot of them are capable of a lot more than they are allowed to do in our nanny state. Heck, how dangerous is it to grow up on a working ranch up in the Rockies?

You are correct! It all depends on the maturity level of the 16 yr old. Can you just imagine the amount of confidence in herself that this will give her? Can you think of any better gift to give a young person. I'm betting she won't be a union worker boxing parts when she grows up.

Can you imagine the doors a successful trip would open? In and out of the sailing world.

If she has the ability (and apparently she has as this didn't happen 10 minutes from port), go for it.

I had far less ability at the things I was doing at 16, probably was doing things that were more dangerous, relative to my skill and maturity, at that age.
Who are we to judge? Likely, that kid is not your average 16 year old. We often ask the same question about folks turing out a 10 year old with a centerfire rifle during deer season or giving them the keys to a 400 CC four wheeler. Some kids can handle it, while most can not.

On a work project once, I watched a 7 year old run a back hoe amidst a crowd of people and vehicles for a full 8 hour day, and he never bumped a single being/item. If I had a job, I'd hire that kid in a minute. Don't see a second one in line though to take his place.
I'd bet that girl is a more accomplished sailor than most adult boat captains out there.

I also know that there are things I would let my boys do like that because I have taught them how to do it safely, and I trust their skills and judgment.

I don't know how that girls parents can be faulted. I've seen what some parents are willing to give a set of car keys to at age 16...
DUMB ONES!!
I have a 17 year old daughter no matter how skilled she was at sailing this would be a bigtime NO!

My daughter is no where near mature enough for that feat!!!
Not my kid, so I can't judge on her experience and preparation for the sail.

I have met 16 year old kids that I'm sure could make the same trip.

I have also met folk twice that age that would never be able to even get out of the harbor, or should be allowed to.

I do question the decision to go into the roaring 40's in the (southern hemisphere) winter time. That's a hell ride..
Originally Posted by teal

If she has the ability (and apparently she has as this didn't happen 10 minutes from port), go for it.

I had far less ability at the things I was doing at 16, probably was doing things that were more dangerous, relative to my skill and maturity, at that age.

Agreed, at 16 I was trying to find out just how fast my step-father's Nova would go.
And I'll not criticize anyone willing to run a stick boat in the Indian ocean. 20 foot seas would have me balled up in a corner crying like a girl. grin

Mine involved me and a friend in his brothers Turbo Lazer, racing other idiots from Escanaba to Marquette and back. We weren't kidding 130mph down US 2.
Man, we bought Les a boat but all he did was go fishin laugh

I don't understand how some parents think. There is no way one of my kids would have been allowed to do something that stupid at her age. Then again, we are talking about Les. laugh
"What kind of parents would let their 16 year old daughter sail around the world alone?" That is exactly what my question was.
Originally Posted by djs

Haha!
Do you think her parents are going to ground her?
Originally Posted by djs

That was the same thought I had when I read the Subject title.
My guess is that most of those who believe her attempt was acceptable have never spent any time offshore. Solo across an ocean is an irresponsible act at best, even for an adult. Please explain how one person can maintain required watches solo. One equipment failure or mistake setting the alarms on your radar will get you run over and sucked through the screws of a freighter and they'll be lucky to even find enough debris to identify the boat.

Dismasted means she screwed up big time and had a 50-50 chance of being dead.
Originally Posted by isaac
Do you think her parents are going to ground her?

Do you think they're going to make her pay for the boat?

- Tom
Yet it gets done all the time...
I don't really see the problem. It's been done before, both by her brother and another 16 year old girl as well. Heard a little bit more about this one the radio today. Apparently the girl is a very good sailor and has been at it all her life. They stated on the program that it was a 30ft wave that demasted her. From the people who know her and work with her on this, it sounds to me like she was quite capable of pulling this off. Of course there's no way to know how things will play out and as they say,chit happens. She obviously wanted to do this and I see no reason for the parents to stand in her way. They know far better than anyone here if she is capable, particularily since their son pulled it off the year before. Nothing in life is "safe", may as well have fun and go after the things that make you happy.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Not my kid, so I can't judge on her experience and preparation for the sail.

I have met 16 year old kids that I'm sure could make the same trip.

I have also met folk twice that age that would never be able to even get out of the harbor, or should be allowed to.

I do question the decision to go into the roaring 40's in the (southern hemisphere) winter time. That's a hell ride..

Agreed. That's a rough place to be.

But she is obviously an excellent sailor. Remember...her equipment failed. She did not.

Single-handed passage-making is not for the timid. Long periods of solitude, coupled with periods of sleeplessness and intense, prolonged physical discomfort take a psychological toll on the unprepared. She obviously has her wits about her and is mature beyond her years. She is a remarkable girl.

I would encourage her to try again.
All funning aside, as a dad, I'd have probably had to have been a stern one when it came to my 16 year old daughter wanting to tackle the 30-50 foot waves and Somali scum off the coast of Africa. I'm rather certain I would have made her wait till she was 18 and then,it would probably still be over my objection.

But, in fairness, until I have grandchildren, I'll probably be over-protective till I get there. Losing my 16 year old over a permission for this field trip would have truly messed with my head.
She was never going near Somalia.

She was taking a straight shot across the southern ocean where high following winds and seas would give her a rocket ride.

Check out these Volvo Racers for an idea of the speed you can get going across.

Originally Posted by beechdrvr
Remember...her equipment failed. She did not.

So the rigging just let go for no reason; or are we talking she screwed up, broached, almost rolled and then her equipment failed?????

frm LA Times-
Abby set sail from Marina del Rey on Jan. 23 and was roughly halfway through her attempted round-the-world solo sail when her 40-foot boat, Wild Eyes, apparently lost a mast in rough seas.

On a modern 40 foot offshore sailing vessel you lose the mast in rough seas when you take a knock down.
Heard today that they did some kind of half assed fix near Cabo & sent her back out. Also, didn't she run into a ship leaving a harbor a while back, too? Also sounds like the near 50 foot seas are not rare where she was, either. Parents should be billed for the rescue costs & be prevented from further breeding. It isn't the kid's fault the parents are retarded.
You know when you really stop and consider the safety of the attempt.

The boat she is on won't sink unless it breaks apart.
She has an emergency locator beacon just like an airplane has (and she used it).
She has an almost unsinkable life raft that is provisioned.
As long as she keeps her harness on, she isn't going to get swept away overboard.
At 16, you have a world of strength and stamnia.
Her equipment is going to survive almost any bad judgement calls she might make.
I did read she has a support crew. Not sure exactly how they are trying to keep track of her.

And she obviously is not one of those silly little mall twits.
If the Somali pirates got her, it wouldn't make any difference if she is 16 or 21 and she can probably run faster now.

I'm really not seeing many negatives to it.
Allen,
I was in the boat business from mid 70's to 2000. Carpenter, electronics tech, systems tech, Shipwright (real Shipwright for 100 plus foot wooden sailing vessels not a glorified carpenter), partner in a Marine Supply Chandlery outfitting cruising boats, Commissioned Beneteau sailboats for 3 years (about half went offshore). Spent quite a bit of time sailing. Only have about 100 days offshore in all those years though as I just never enjoyed it.
That's my background in boats, and I disagree with almost all of your above statements and see many negatives for anyone, especially a minor going offshore alone.
What are the odds of sailing a boat for 6 months and NOT running into a severe weather condition. I love my daughter to much to even think about the risks involved on this adventure. Don't beleive it is sensible when few people of any age can do it. ED
My guess is that most of those who believe her attempt was acceptable have never spent any time offshore. Solo across an ocean is an irresponsible act at best, even for an adult. Please explain how one person can maintain required watches solo. One equipment failure or mistake setting the alarms on your radar will get you run over and sucked through the screws of a freighter and they'll be lucky to even find enough debris to identify the boat.

Dismasted means she screwed up big time and had a 50-50 chance of being dead.

Agree completely. I don't care if you're the best sailor in the world. There's something to be said for having some help around if you need it.I don't care if she was 45 years old and the greatest sailor who ever lived. If you break an arm or leg or have a serious medical problem, you're worthless. Who's gonna sail the boat when that happens???

Even grown men try and make a point of going hunting or fishing with a buddy if they're going to be way out in the boonies. It's just a smart thing to do. Hell, I had a buddy back in school I used to go with to ride dirt bikes up on the Canadian River. One day, he decided to go without me. He managed to break his femur and was unable to walk. He was lucky that a couple happened to drive by looking for aluminum cans (this was 2-3 miles off the main road). They loaded him in the truck and had to drive a few miles to even get to a spot that had cell phone reception to call the ambulance. Then, it was a 25 mile ride to the hospital.

Her and her brother could have gone together since they're both good sailors. Doing this alone was pure vanity stuff....
I have been having the same thoughts since day ONE

Her parents are idiots...
In 1965, a young man named Robin Graham sailed out of Califoria and completed the trip in 1970, becoming at that time the youngest person to sail around the world alone. National Geographic wrote 3 articles on the trip. Robin moved to Montana in 1971 and I sought him out in 1973. There was a book written and a movie made in the 1970's. I not seem him in 6 years but I talked with his wife several months ago and all is well.

I do not think that 16 years old to young to sail the world, but to intentionally try to break a record with the trip is wrong.

Some are content to sit in the corner, blathering online, scared to face the world on their terms.

I'm sure her parents wouldn't give a second thought to online, pontificating thumbsuckers.
abc---That quick reply wasn't directed at you.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Some are content to sit in the corner, blathering online, scared to face the world on their terms.

I'm sure her parents wouldn't give a second thought to online, pontificating thumbsuckers.

+2
When I was a kid, we used to run our souped-up Chevies up over 150 mph on 2 lane roads.

I don't see a whole lotta difference between sending your 16 y.o. out to sail around the world solo and sending them out to break the 2-lane public highway speeding record.
Originally Posted by fburgtx
[quote] Doing this alone was pure vanity stuff....

Yep.
Originally Posted by BarryC
When I was a kid, we used to run our souped-up Chevies up over 150 mph on 2 lane roads.

I don't see a whole lotta difference between sending your 16 y.o. out to sail around the world solo and sending them out to break the 2-lane public highway speeding record.

I used to do the same thing (speeding) when I was 16, but my parents did not know of it nor would they have condoned it.
Somolia isn't the only place that has pirates. 2010 piracy map

(only worked for me in Internet Explorer)
Originally Posted by BarryC

Well, other than Australia sending a fully fueled Airbus out a few thousand miles to search for the disabled craft & using up nearly all of it's fuel before finally doing so, who knows how many ships and other planes searching for the ill prepared, patched together ego boat and the ships heading out to do the actual rescue. Other than that, yea, nearly identical....
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

+2

If she wanted to do it and the parents have the means to cover these rescue costs, more power to her.

In a day and age when kids have to wear bicycle helmets to ride in the driveway it sounds weird, but you only live once. Might as well enjoy it an make an adventure out of it.

If I had it to do over again I'd have skipped out of college for a few years after high school and done something "crazy" like this. I encourage my kids to consider the same thing. Once you're saddled with "responsibilities" these things become far more difficult.

Good for her for taking it on, and good for her parents for allowing some adventure in an overly risk-averse day and age!
It could not have been a snap decision made by the parents or the girl who attempted the feat.

I am all for attempting what is difficult with proper planning and preparation. That is the American spirit.
Beats wasting ones brain with an X-Box or MTV [bleep].

One only needs to be ready to write the big check when the bill comes.
On one hand I would not do it at any age. On the other hand many have done it. Can you say that someone should not hunt alone?

What about hunting alone way back in the mountains? I don't want a law for everything.

I am quite familiar with sailing and with the modern gear its easy most of the time if one is careful. Its the very bad storms that can hurt me or the boat. Same with hunting.

Overall she made it you know! She had the boat, experience and backup to make it that far and get out of it.

So if a rescue plane had gone down killing all aboard while searching for the little girl of some publicity hungry family looking for who knows what for their little girl, everything is hunky-dory?

She just wanted some recognition?

I don't understand some of you guy's!

When a person pulls a stunt like that their involving more than just themselves!

Phil
Some of lifes more enjoyable & memorable moments are inherently dangerous...sky & scuba diving, riding motorcycles, hang gliding, surfing... even off shore fishing & shooting have an element of danger...My dad was 16 when he joined the festivities during WW11...I was 17 when I joined during Vietnam...Sailing around the world in a boat like she had? If I were that age again I'd think that would be pretty frickin cool...
So if a rescue plane had gone down killing all aboard while searching for the little girl of some publicity hungry family looking for who knows what for their little girl, everything is hunky-dory?Phil

SAR guys know the risk when they sign up as well. Makes no sense to be SAR if there ain't no one to save....
She just wanted some recognition?

A segment of the American population will attempt to achieve their individual goals and will realize their dreams without seeking any recognition from others.
They are the go-getters that tend to be quite successful and contribute great things to their society.
Originally Posted by Odessa
"What kind of parents would let their 16 year old daughter sail around the world alone?" That is exactly what my question was.
My answer would be, one's that sleep much more soundly than I do when my kids are out of the house. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I would not have given my blessing for such an outing regardless of her capabilities from purely selfish reasons. The lack of sleep would have killed me.
What kind of parents? Well, one of two types I guess.

The first type would be the parents who were using her for their own fame and fortune. From everything I've read about this young lady though, this doesn't seem to be the case.

The Second type would be the parents who raised their child to be independent, intelligent and adventurous. These parents would send their daughter out when they were certain she could handle it.

There is a third type of parent but this thread isn't about them.

I, for one, am NOT going to criticize the parents and instead, I congratulate her and them for their courage.

I'll change that opinion only when it appears to me that there is a different motivation for them.

Actually.....I don't have a problem with it. I've seen some damn mature 15yo's and some damn immature 45yo's.

She clearly knew what to do and didn't panic. Based on what I've seen from her and her family on the tube, she was plenty mature and a seasoned veteran at the sailing game.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I dunno.. Don't parents allow their 17 year olds to sign up for the military? Did parents allow 16 year old kids fight in the revolutionary and civil wars?

Next to my father's grave is a monument to a long dead cousin many times removed. He died in the Civil War at 16 and is buried somewhere in a battlefield grave.
I don't have a problem with it. Thinking the parents didn't put a gun to her head to do it. She seems like a courageous, and tough kid. Seems we could use more of them in today's world.

© 24hourcampfire