Campfire Greenhorn
B
DUMB ONES!!

You can't fix stupid

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a 17 year old daughter no matter how skilled she was at sailing this would be a bigtime NO!

My daughter is no where near mature enough for that feat!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not my kid, so I can't judge on her experience and preparation for the sail.

I have met 16 year old kids that I'm sure could make the same trip.

I have also met folk twice that age that would never be able to even get out of the harbor, or should be allowed to.

I do question the decision to go into the roaring 40's in the (southern hemisphere) winter time. That's a hell ride..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal

If she has the ability (and apparently she has as this didn't happen 10 minutes from port), go for it.

I had far less ability at the things I was doing at 16, probably was doing things that were more dangerous, relative to my skill and maturity, at that age.

Agreed, at 16 I was trying to find out just how fast my step-father's Nova would go.
And I'll not criticize anyone willing to run a stick boat in the Indian ocean. 20 foot seas would have me balled up in a corner crying like a girl. grin

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine involved me and a friend in his brothers Turbo Lazer, racing other idiots from Escanaba to Marquette and back. We weren't kidding 130mph down US 2.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, we bought Les a boat but all he did was go fishin laugh

I don't understand how some parents think. There is no way one of my kids would have been allowed to do something that stupid at her age. Then again, we are talking about Les. laugh

Sassy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"What kind of parents would let their 16 year old daughter sail around the world alone?" That is exactly what my question was.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
at least she can't get pregnant or date a black guy while doing that.

Have you looked at photos of the Somali pirates lately?

Haha!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Do you think her parents are going to ground her?

Last edited by isaac; 06/11/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
at least she can't get pregnant or date a black guy while doing that.

Have you looked at photos of the Somali pirates lately?

That was the same thought I had when I read the Subject title.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My guess is that most of those who believe her attempt was acceptable have never spent any time offshore. Solo across an ocean is an irresponsible act at best, even for an adult. Please explain how one person can maintain required watches solo. One equipment failure or mistake setting the alarms on your radar will get you run over and sucked through the screws of a freighter and they'll be lucky to even find enough debris to identify the boat.

Dismasted means she screwed up big time and had a 50-50 chance of being dead.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by isaac
Do you think her parents are going to ground her?

Do you think they're going to make her pay for the boat?

- Tom

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yet it gets done all the time...

Me

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I don't really see the problem. It's been done before, both by her brother and another 16 year old girl as well. Heard a little bit more about this one the radio today. Apparently the girl is a very good sailor and has been at it all her life. They stated on the program that it was a 30ft wave that demasted her. From the people who know her and work with her on this, it sounds to me like she was quite capable of pulling this off. Of course there's no way to know how things will play out and as they say,chit happens. She obviously wanted to do this and I see no reason for the parents to stand in her way. They know far better than anyone here if she is capable, particularily since their son pulled it off the year before. Nothing in life is "safe", may as well have fun and go after the things that make you happy.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Not my kid, so I can't judge on her experience and preparation for the sail.

I have met 16 year old kids that I'm sure could make the same trip.

I have also met folk twice that age that would never be able to even get out of the harbor, or should be allowed to.

I do question the decision to go into the roaring 40's in the (southern hemisphere) winter time. That's a hell ride..

Agreed. That's a rough place to be.

But she is obviously an excellent sailor. Remember...her equipment failed. She did not.

Single-handed passage-making is not for the timid. Long periods of solitude, coupled with periods of sleeplessness and intense, prolonged physical discomfort take a psychological toll on the unprepared. She obviously has her wits about her and is mature beyond her years. She is a remarkable girl.

I would encourage her to try again.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
All funning aside, as a dad, I'd have probably had to have been a stern one when it came to my 16 year old daughter wanting to tackle the 30-50 foot waves and Somali scum off the coast of Africa. I'm rather certain I would have made her wait till she was 18 and then,it would probably still be over my objection.

But, in fairness, until I have grandchildren, I'll probably be over-protective till I get there. Losing my 16 year old over a permission for this field trip would have truly messed with my head.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She was never going near Somalia.

She was taking a straight shot across the southern ocean where high following winds and seas would give her a rocket ride.

Check out these Volvo Racers for an idea of the speed you can get going across.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beechdrvr
Remember...her equipment failed. She did not.

So the rigging just let go for no reason; or are we talking she screwed up, broached, almost rolled and then her equipment failed?????

frm LA Times-
Abby set sail from Marina del Rey on Jan. 23 and was roughly halfway through her attempted round-the-world solo sail when her 40-foot boat, Wild Eyes, apparently lost a mast in rough seas.

On a modern 40 foot offshore sailing vessel you lose the mast in rough seas when you take a knock down.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Heard today that they did some kind of half assed fix near Cabo & sent her back out. Also, didn't she run into a ship leaving a harbor a while back, too? Also sounds like the near 50 foot seas are not rare where she was, either. Parents should be billed for the rescue costs & be prevented from further breeding. It isn't the kid's fault the parents are retarded.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You know when you really stop and consider the safety of the attempt.

The boat she is on won't sink unless it breaks apart.
She has an emergency locator beacon just like an airplane has (and she used it).
She has an almost unsinkable life raft that is provisioned.
As long as she keeps her harness on, she isn't going to get swept away overboard.
At 16, you have a world of strength and stamnia.
Her equipment is going to survive almost any bad judgement calls she might make.
I did read she has a support crew. Not sure exactly how they are trying to keep track of her.

And she obviously is not one of those silly little mall twits.
If the Somali pirates got her, it wouldn't make any difference if she is 16 or 21 and she can probably run faster now.

I'm really not seeing many negatives to it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,378
Posts18,506,636
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.