Home
Posted By: akjeff Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
Why is it that the majority of the folks who chime in on Harley Davidson related threads, that are throwing stones either a.) Have never ridden, let alone owned one, or b.) Are into a style of motorcycle(primarily "crotch rockets", which I have nothing against, myself) that H-D doesn't even manufacture, so why the comparison? I suppose it's no different than our gun related threads....people seem to like to spout off about things they have no first hand experience with. Just curious.

Jeff
Originally Posted by akjeff
I suppose it's no different than our gun related threads....people seem to like to spout off about things they have no first hand experience with.

Jeff

Thats about it.Theres alot of that on this board for sure.
When your 20 theres not a thing wrong with a penis and scroturn chrusher.Now that im older I have alittle more respect for my junk.
Most of the people I know that are riding v twin wannbees are just biding there time before they can swing a H-D.Not a thing wrong with that either.

dave
Posted By: okok Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
I wouldn't get on any donor cycle, unless it was off road.
Harley Davidson's are decent motorcycles. For the type of bike they are, they're almost as good as a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic.

If you could buy a good used Road Glide for what they're worth, ($5000-$6500) I'd probably own one.

,..but I wouldn't dress all up like Black-fuggin-Beard the pirate everytime I went for a ride on it,...as seems to be customary.
<whew> ... glad my beard's grey...
wink
Posted By: Ohlsen Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
It's kinda funny when you see a couple of local guys buy Sportster's and all of a sudden they're wearing cut off jean jackets and wearing a bandana, black leather boots and straight pipes and they think they're cool. Just a fricken joke!

Tom
Posted By: Loggah Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
I always bashed them, but then again when i was young i only rode "INDIANS" the real ones from the wigwam!!!!! wink Don
You know the difference between a Harley and a Hoover, right?....

The dirtbag is on the inside of the Hoover!... wink
Posted By: JOG Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
Originally Posted by Bristoe
..but I wouldn't dress all up like Black-fuggin-Beard the pirate everytime I went for a ride on it,...as seems to be customary.

That's less gay than the crotch rocket guy wearing the chartreuse and lime green leather jacket that's two sizes too small and a full ninja helmet.
i rode my 94 harley into a gas station other day and a guy noticed and comented that my bike wasn't spotless.My response was that yuppies buy their bikes to look at i bought mine to ride.To further make my point mine is a 1200 sportster that i rode from upstate ny to sturgis,new orleans,floridia and maine.......Among many other place and never been trailered a day.Afterward he admitted he only had 2k on a 2009 road king what a waste of a road bike was my response and rode off
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
I wonder what the modern day typical HD owner is trying to be ?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
Hey Bristoe, what do you wear on the ricer Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic? Kamikaze headband? smile

Don't ride a scooter no more but if I did it would be one from an American outfit.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Hey Bristoe, what do you wear on the ricer Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic? Kamikaze headband? smile

I ride a 2002 Bonneville. I wear whatever I happen to have on when I decide to go riding + a pair of wraparound Ray Bans.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
From another site, "the ultimate motorcycle time machine" the Bonneville that is.
I dont usually bash unless some harley yuppie starts things. Dont get me wrong, I think Harley makes a nice bike, but not for the money. I ride a Victory and I paid far less for a bike that will go faster, pull harder, get better gas mileage, and require MUCH less maintenance. Its also made in the USA, and more comfortable. Honestly, I dont care what you ride, but I cant stand the harley mentality of 'if its not harley, its not worth havin'. My bike, my business.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
I ride my 2002 Low Rider somewhere around 8K miles per year. It's bone stock except for the high flow intake and the Screaming Eagle pipes
I wear leathers and boots when I feel the need, but this morning it was tennis shoes and a T shirt.
I'm looking to move up in a year or so and really like the Soft Tail line
Objectively, Harleys aren't that great. Better than in the AMF days, and before THAT, but no thanks.
While I love the motor music, on the other hand the power curve, gear box, riding position and pretty much everything else just doesn't make it for me.
If I have to do a V-twin, give me a Ducati of comparative vintage to any hog. The music is just as wonderful, but so is the rest of the opera.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
Originally Posted by JOG
..but I wouldn't dress all up like Black-fuggin-Beard the pirate everytime I went for a ride on it,...as seems to be customary.

That's less gay than the crotch rocket guy wearing the chartreuse and lime green leather jacket that's two sizes too small and a full ninja helmet.
Maybe so but it's just as pathetic.
Everybody who criticizes someone else's choice in motorcycles, guns, etc. is generally just a blow hard massaging his own ego.

It's your money. Do what you want with it. Ask for advice if you want, or don't.
well said and when i rode to sturgis in 95 their were other makes of bikes and i didn't see no one get critisized because what they chose to ride in fact i did hear i don't care what you ride as long as you ride

Originally Posted by RDFinn

Originally Posted by pmeisel
..........generally just a blow hard massaging his own ego.

Pretty well sums it up...

Originally Posted by pmeisel
..........generally just a blow hard massaging his own ego.

Pretty well sums it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9h0W5bVYec
Posted By: T LEE Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
Here is my '76 EG I bought new and we rode for a total of 126,000 miles, 1 complete rebuild and 1 top end only. Went to Sturgis 3 times, Daytona 10, the Keys MANY times, Joliet,IL twice and rode when it weren't rainy season. Never rode the back of a pickup or trailer. Sold it in 1992 and wish I hadn't!!!

First repaint in 1980
[Linked Image]

Second in '88
[Linked Image]

An ABATE helmet rally late 80's IIRC

[Linked Image]

We really looked like Hells Angels when headed out for a weekend ride!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
It seems only natural for people to from likes and dislikes based on things other than actual experience. For instance, I would imagine that a good number of those who dismiss things like Tasco scopes have never given them a try.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd68WjDIBqk&feature=related
Frickin hilarious...
Not so hilarious...

Posted By: FreeMe Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/26/10
Sorry man, but I just ain't buyin' that a motorcycle designed to handle badly and shake itself apart is okay. If yer into that kind of thing, that's okay with me, but I'll never say the machine is exceptional or even acceptable. I'm more of a "form follows function" kinda guy. That's one of the reasons I like the euro-bikes and certain Japanese bikes too (some of them "crotch-rockets" and some not). With the exception of the models designed to compete directly with a Harley, they are mostly about what the bike will do - not how they look.

I'll admit that there is some silliness going on with the current crotch-rocket crowd that we never saw back in the day when we had to build our own, and I'll admit that the typical such bike isn't much more than an exciting toy - certainly not a practical way of traveling. But those aren't my preference either. My favorite bikes are more in the "sport-touring" or "adventure -touring" category.

But none of that has much to do with the fact that the Harely-Davidson company has chosen to put all it's centavos behind a line of bikes with a very narrow range of appeal (for those who can tolerate a bike that handles poorly on anything but open interstate), when they could have diversified just a bit without offending their core clientele and had a healthier market.

I have laughed off years of "Jap-crap" remarks from Harley riders who couldn't negotiate a curve or go a week or a month without some repair, and in that other recent thread it didn't take long for one of 'em to slink out of the darkness with the same kind of asinine retort. Why would a tough-guy Harley rider get all teary over a likewise, but kinder response?

Edit: Kinda silly for me to even get into this, since after 40 years of all kinds o f riding I've pretty much lost interest in motorcycles, for myself anyway. The other thread was more about taxes, business, and market forces - then someone had to get snarky.
While modern day Harley's don't really do much for me, I'll admit I love the looks of the old stuff. There was some flat track racing last weekend in town and they had several old Harley's out there and they looked awesome. Owning a bike out here just doesn't make much sense from a practical standpoint,seeing as the riding season is so short and the roads pretty crappy. BUT...I've been contemplating and enduro/dual sport type of bike I could ride around the dirt roads all around here and still drive it to town or work if I wanted. if I can find one for the right price,I might just try it.
I haven't been riding for nearly as long as some of the guys on here, only 7-8 years. However I put a decent amount of miles on for a few of those. On my third bike I put around 14000 miles on it the first year I had it, and a buddy of mine had a Harley he rode about the same type and amount I rode my Kawasaki. I replaced the chain the tires and the fork seals (I bought it used). In the same amount of time he spent more fixing his Harley than I did to buy my bike. Plus I had to hear from him and all his Harley buddies how they were so much better than mine and how "real men only ride Harley's." I think that is the main reason I have pretty much always hated Harley's. Not just that they handle like a logging truck and break more often than a county road crew, It's the arrogance and condecending attitude of a lot of their riders.
If you owned a store, and there was this one family who wouldn't buy anything from anyone except you and your store... how would you treat that family as customers?

In 2001, H-D released the V-Rod to the world. MSRP $17,995. I called several dealers who told me they would accept nothing less than $22,995... I believe that they completely sold out. Good for them... I guess.

Same year, same time, Honda released their new Limited Edition RC-51 state-of-the-art race bike. Only 2,000 were scheduled to come to America. MSRP $9,995. I talked to a dealer who showed me a memo from Honda; "Any dealer caught charging more than the $9,995 MSRP will lose their license to sell Honda motorcycles". They sold out, too. The dealers could've easily gotten 50% over MSRP considering the exclusivity of the bikes. Honda wouldn't allow their customers to be raped.

H-D has LEGIONS of DEATHLY LOYAL CUSTOMERS, and how do they repay their allegiance? How do they allow their dealers to treat the deathly loyal customers?

I, personally, think that the "FatBoy" is one of the SWEETEST motorcycles ever built. Its Harley-Davidson the company that I really don't care for; and really can't support. I'm also a speed-freak, so I ride a sportbike.

EDIT: I also wear a color-matched leather coat, gloves, full-faced helmet, and steel-toe boots (black because they are work boots where I'm riding to and from most of the time) with jeans. You say gay, I say I dress for the crash, not the ride!
My buddy rides the crap out of his RKC .. I'm thinking he's over 100k now with nothing but valve adjustment.

Sweet bike, did I mention I will own one soon?

grin
Can't understand the bashing, really, I like Triumphs and BSA's, but thats just me, wouldn't mind an older 883 to build into a hillclimber, but I ain't call call someone out over what they ride. Now if you disparage my savage rifles I'll calmly tell ya what I think of you and your remchester crap. grin
Posted By: okok Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
It's not the bikes, it's the 90% a$$ holes that ride them.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
Some interesting responses, and it's remained fairly civil.

As expected, most of the detractors have basically zero first hand experience, and most of their negativity is based on the usual "my brother in laws best friend" or a "good buddy of mine" type thing. I get a big kick out of those who claim a Harley won't handle. Check out a few YouTube videos of some LEO Motor Officer rodeos. I'm also guessing the "chicken strips" on my Road Glides tires would compare favorably with that of guys driving Gold Wings, and their equivalent.

Always a pleasure to hear the usual Harley rider stereotypes. I guess I'm the oddball H-D rider. I have a job, no tatt's, short hair, and I don't refer to my wife as my "old lady" or "seat meat". Don't dress like a pirate either, just protective gear, for the possibility of a crash.

As for reliability. I've logged about 100k miles on several Evo powered H-D's, and now have 6k on my new Twin Cam powered bike. Thus far, I've never had a break down, of any sort. Nor have any parts "vibrated off" any of my bikes. Can't say the same for the BMW R100R I put about 15k on. It stranded me along side the road with electrical problems twice.

The hostility towards foreign bike riders must be a regional thing. I've never seen a brand x rider get hassled at any of the H-D dealerships up here. Pull into the local Kaw/BMW/Triumph dealer here on a Harley if you want to feel the cold shoulder. Talk about snobbery.

Ride safe guys, whatever you're riding.

Jeff
Originally Posted by T LEE
Here is my '76 EG I bought new and we rode for a total of 126,000 miles, 1 complete rebuild and 1 top end only. Went to Sturgis 3 times, Daytona 10, the Keys MANY times, Joliet,IL twice and rode when it weren't rainy season. Never rode the back of a pickup or trailer. Sold it in 1992 and wish I hadn't!!!

First repaint in 1980
[Linked Image]

Very nice.Heck I wish I had it.
Heres mine.
[Linked Image]
And
[Linked Image]

2009 Roadglide.

dave

Posted By: lhonda Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
Harley Davidson's are decent motorcycles. For the type of bike they are, they're almost as good as a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic.

If you could buy a good used Road Glide for what they're worth, ($5000-$6500) I'd probably own one.

,..but I wouldn't dress all up like Black-fuggin-Beard the pirate everytime I went for a ride on it,...as seems to be customary.

Tee hee! You do have a way with words, B. I cut my teeth at 15 on a pumpkin orange '75 Yamaha RD-350B two banger, fell in love and have owned nothing but Japanese street bikes since. '85 Honda 500 Interceptor, '78 Honda CB 750 Supersport, 87' Yamaha FJ 1200, etc. My current ride is an '87 Kawi ZX-10/Ninja/GPz 1000. I admit to having a definite bias against HDs, especially those ridden by weekend warrior H-A wannabe donkeys who in real life are corporate types, but that's not really relevant, I suppose. There's just something annoying about some HD types that gets my goat... grin

My opinion of the bikes themselves changed a few years ago, when an old school bikie/outlaw type and I began riding together. Strange pair we made, with him on one of his many HDs, like his Superglide, Springer softail, panhead or shovelhead machines, and me on my rice burner with the header that can be heard at a half mile... wink

Know what? After riding his HDs a few times, I changed my mind. They are cool, and comfy--but still slow, relatively unresponsive to hard riding and expensive. Would I buy one? Probably not unless it was selling for a song, but I did learn that they ARE a helluva' lot of fun to ride.
I'm also guessing the "chicken strips" on my Road Glides tires would compare favorably with that of guys driving Gold Wings, and their equivalent.

Im 6 6 and dont fit on a wingdinger.
Roadglides rule.

dave
Posted By: eh76 Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
Why is it that the majority of the folks who chime in on Harley Davidson related threads, that are throwing stones either a.) Have never ridden, let alone owned one, or b.) Are into a style of motorcycle(primarily "crotch rockets", which I have nothing against, myself) that H-D doesn't even manufacture, so why the comparison? I suppose it's no different than our gun related threads....people seem to like to spout off about things they have no first hand experience with. Just curious.

Jeff

I don't ride but I am for anything American made!
This may sound backward, but I just can't get comfortable on cruisers in general. It seems like all of my weight is directly on my tailbone. I think I'm a little weird, but I can (and have) ride for hours on my sportbike (1000c.c. Yamaha). Big comfy seat, short reach to the clipons, and rear-set foot pegs which I prefer.

I rode my brother's 1100 V-Star (looks just like a Heritage), and I just kept trying to put my feet on the passenger pegs so I could sit up! Like I said, backward.
Originally Posted by okok
It's not the bikes, it's the 90% a$$ holes that ride them.

+ 1000
Originally Posted by lhonda
Know what? After riding his HDs a few times, I changed my mind. They are cool, and comfy--but still slow, relatively unresponsive to hard riding and expensive. Would I buy one? Probably not unless it was selling for a song, but I did learn that they ARE a helluva' lot of fun to ride.

That sums up my general opinion of cruisers. They are comfortable as hell to ride, though most have no guts and handle terribly. Granted, sport bikes aren't the most comfortable things to ride, though they are definitely fun.

I have nothing against Harley Davidson bikes, I'm just not into the whole HD culture I guess. Coincidentally, almost all of my buddies I ride with have Harleys. From what I hear from both my friends and from reading on various forums, I'm less than enthused by what I hear about Harley dealers, their less than stellar service, and out-[bleep]-landish prices. Someday I may end up getting a HD, though I'm probably more likely to get a Jap cruiser, or something along the lines of a Victory.

And, to get my little jab in, here is a Harley owners best friend:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by CAPITALIST
This may sound backward, but I just can't get comfortable on cruisers in general. It seems like all of my weight is directly on my tailbone. I think I'm a little weird, but I can (and have) ride for hours on my sportbike (1000c.c. Yamaha). Big comfy seat, short reach to the clipons, and rear-set foot pegs which I prefer.

I rode my brother's 1100 V-Star (looks just like a Heritage), and I just kept trying to put my feet on the passenger pegs so I could sit up! Like I said, backward.

I hear you on that! My buddies tell me I'm nuts because I don't think having my legs all stretched out on the front pegs is comfortable. Personally, I can't see how they can ride like that, though maybe it is simply what we are used to.

I would like to take a ride on my buddy's 1200 Nightster, as it has pegs that are more akin to a sport bike, though with bars like a cruiser. It looks like a pretty comfortable riding position, at least to me.
I had a 76 Bi-Centenial Sportster and it was fun to ride, but I had to work on it constantly to keep it running. I bought a new Kawasaki KZ 1100 Spectre shaft drive in 81. It is still running fine. It has 126,000 miles on the odometer, and I drove it without a speedometer cable for 4 years. I did have it stripped to the frame, sand blasted engine rebuild and punched 30 thousanths, new paint, handle bars, etc. about 8 years ago.

It came from the old "Kaw" 900 design, and I had the 900 heads installed with the rebuild as they are a higher compression head. The drive shaft has never given me any trouble. It gives me very smooth, maintenance-free, non-oil slinging performance. I've had this bike as long as I've had my wife. I'm still crazy about both of them.

This old rice burner has never once left me stranded. I did have to buy a new starter for it 5 years back, but other than that, I just ride it and put tires on it. I wasn't stranded when the starter quit, but I did have to push it off to get it fired up. That's not much fun. It handles great, stops on a dime, corners well, and will flat out scream.

I like Harleys just fine. I hear they are made to a higher standard in recent years. They are over priced, to me, but I hope you enjoy your investment as much as I have mine.

Ride what you want to. I don't care. Be safe, and have a good time while you're riding. Come see me, and we'll hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and make a run down the Dragon's Tail. I live 9 miles from there, and it's cool up there, even in August.

I do wear leather a lot of the time. I have had road rash before, and therein lies my reason for the cow hide. I use a full helmet with a face shield. I'm not into fashion, but have grown accustomed to having my face. I wear jeans, usually Carhharts, and whatever the weather decides that I need. I like Carhharts, as they are not like a cheap hotel with no Ballroom. I do have some chaps, but only use them for a long haul. When my wife is on board, she insists that I behave myself. Other than that, it's just a big dirt bike, and meant to play on. I do need to slow down though...heck, I'm 55 now, after all.

I really like to cruise, but I love to race in these mountains. If I had any smarts, I'd park it, but it's a part of who we are, huh? Besides, I can think of many worse ways to die.

Bash all you want I love my 04 Road King. Never had the hint of a problem. It's comfortable, fast enough for these old bones and has style. Who needs this "canyon carving crap"?

Most who badmouth Harleys can't afford them. Other iron is fine with me and I don't care what you ride. Please don't give me a ration about my ride.
Originally Posted by LongRanger280
I had a 76 Bi-Centenial Sportster and it was fun to ride, but I had to work on it constantly to keep it running. I bought a new Kawasaki KZ 1100 Spectre shaft drive in 81. It is still running fine. It has 126,000 miles on the odometer, and I drove it without a speedometer cable for 4 years. I did have it stripped to the frame, sand blasted engine rebuild and punched 30 thousanths, new paint, handle bars, etc. about 8 years ago.

It came from the old "Kaw" 900 design, and I had the 900 heads installed with the rebuild as they are a higher compression head. The drive shaft has never given me any trouble. It gives me very smooth, maintenance-free, non-oil slinging performance. I've had this bike as long as I've had my wife. I'm still crazy about both of them.

This old rice burner has never once left me stranded. I did have to buy a new starter for it 5 years back, but other than that, I just ride it and put tires on it. I wasn't stranded when the starter quit, but I did have to push it off to get it fired up. That's not much fun. It handles great, stops on a dime, corners well, and will flat out scream.

I like Harleys just fine. I hear they are made to a higher standard in recent years. They are over priced, to me, but I hope you enjoy your investment as much as I have mine.

Ride what you want to. I don't care. Be safe, and have a good time while you're riding. Come see me, and we'll hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and make a run down the Dragon's Tail. I live 9 miles from there, and it's cool up there, even in August.

I do wear leather a lot of the time. I have had road rash before, and therein lies my reason for the cow hide. I use a full helmet with a face shield. I'm not into fashion, but have grown accustomed to having my face. I wear jeans, usually Carhharts, and whatever the weather decides that I need. I like Carhharts, as they are not like a cheap hotel with no Ballroom. I do have some chaps, but only use them for a long haul. When my wife is on board, she insists that I behave myself. Other than that, it's just a big dirt bike, and meant to play on. I do need to slow down though...heck, I'm 55 now, after all.

I really like to cruise, but I love to race in these mountains. If I had any smarts, I'd park it, but it's a part of who we are, huh? Besides, I can think of many worse ways to die.

But it ain't a Harley.
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Most who badmouth Harleys can't afford them.

Sheeeit.
Hardley's
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
He tries hard to re-enforce my thoughts on HD owners.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10

Just ride and/or shut up

I don't know for sure, but liken it to driving down the road in a old convertible Pontiac as opposed to a Honda Accord. That old Pontiac with be rumbling and sucking gas, while the Accord will be humming in at 30 MPG...which one makes more sense, but which are you going to enjoy more?

Was that your first bike?
Posted By: Tracks Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
I've owned several metric cruisers over the years, but my first bike with forward controls was a Yahama 1100 Custom. It took me a while to get used to it but when I bought my FXDL I almost got a 1200 Sportster instead. I was so close to buying the Sportster that all the paperwork was ready to sign before I test rode it. I never got off the parking lot before turning around and parking it. I just can't ride mid controls anymore. It feels like I'm perched on top of the bike instead of being part of it.
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Outstanding piece of riding, that! smile

Here's one a year older than mine. How can anyone NOT love a blue smoke belching chainsaw that'll wheelie in 3 gears? wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpes8SroFck

Decked out RD cafe racer. Oh, *hell* yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEZHszz10RI
I had the 400Four...Damn I wish I still had it. Actually used to take road trips on her, once a yeat over the Sierra to Tahoe.

[Linked Image]
I had the 400Four...Damn I wish I still had it. Actually used to take road trips on her, once a yeat over the Sierra to Tahoe.

[Linked Image]

Classy. Here's one very similar to mine (except mine was orange, just like my RD wink ) that I really dig. Never should have sold it.

http://www.caferace.com/1978cb750.jpg
Posted By: T LEE Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
I hear you on that! My buddies tell me I'm nuts because I don't think having my legs all stretched out on the front pegs is comfortable. Personally, I can't see how they can ride like that, though maybe it is simply what we are used to.

And I will never understand how you can be comfortable going down the road looking like a monkey trying to @%$# a football!
Originally Posted by JOG

laugh laugh laugh touche!!!!

As expected, most of the detractors have basically zero first hand experience, and most of their negativity is based on the usual "my brother in laws best friend" or a "good buddy of mine" type thing. I get a big kick out of those who claim a Harley won't handle. Check out a few YouTube videos of some LEO Motor Officer rodeos. I'm also guessing the "chicken strips" on my Road Glides tires would compare favorably with that of guys driving Gold Wings, and their equivalent.

Always a pleasure to hear the usual Harley rider stereotypes. I guess I'm the oddball H-D rider. I have a job, no tatt's, short hair, and I don't refer to my wife as my "old lady" or "seat meat". Don't dress like a pirate either, just protective gear, for the possibility of a crash.

As for reliability. I've logged about 100k miles on several Evo powered H-D's, and now have 6k on my new Twin Cam powered bike. Thus far, I've never had a break down, of any sort. Nor have any parts "vibrated off" any of my bikes. Can't say the same for the BMW R100R I put about 15k on. It stranded me along side the road with electrical problems twice.

The hostility towards foreign bike riders must be a regional thing. I've never seen a brand x rider get hassled at any of the H-D dealerships up here. Pull into the local Kaw/BMW/Triumph dealer here on a Harley if you want to feel the cold shoulder. Talk about snobbery.

Jeff
Good points Jeff... On a similar vein; show up at an ATA shoot with something other than a K or P gun and all you'll see is nose hair... laugh

But I digress.. The '09 Ultra Classic I have now is by far the sweetest machine I've ever been on. And I've had Suzy's, Kawas, Triumphs etc all my life.. None were as comfortable as this machine. And the 96 has enough power to do anything I need done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKMLZXA8LJY&feature=related

I don't hate Harley's or thier owners,this is funny as hell though.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
(for those who can tolerate a bike that handles poorly on anything but open interstate),

'Tis obvious you're not aware of the FXR (now a thirty year old design), or the "B series" motors - which make the soft tail such a low center of gravity road-hugging dream to ride. 'Tis a shame too!
Posted By: DARBY Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
Might as well offer up my thoughts here. I took my first two-wheel ride on a Cushman Eagle, and since then have owned quite a few different makes and types of motorcycles. The short list includes a BSA 500 Gold Star, a Triumph (Bonneville 650), MANY jappers including a Honda CBX six-banger, a BMW (R100RS), a Ducati 1098, and I have owned at least one Harley FL continuously since buying a new '77 FLH much like TLee's.

During yesterday afternoon' ride, I met far more big-frame Harleys than any other type bike. Saw a few rice rockets, and a dude and his gal on a metric cruiser of some sort.

Looked like everyone was having fun. I failed to notice anyone poking fun at anyone else's ride, or trying to be a badazz.

Lastly, for those of you who have never owned or enjoyed a Harley dresser, you should have been motoring around yesterday like I was - sunny day, listening to John Lee Hooker on the stereo accompanied by that wonderful Milwaukee Music. Jeff and Redneck get it smirk
I had my days with a Harley, but ended up selling it. Some people say they aren't performance bikes, but this one was a screamer. It was no Ninja or Hayabusa-whatever, but it was a 2002 Dyana Sport built to 95 HP and 97 Foot pounds of Torque. It would move.

My brother had a Road King with all the trimmings, hit a deer and the next thing you know, he needed a hip replacement and a new bike. I decided to sell mine as I didn't wear all the gear and liked the wind in my face.

When I was in college I had a 1972 Honda Motosport 350. I loved the bike, so I went retro and got another. This bike is less risky on the road as I don't drive it as fast or as much. The Harley was hoot but I really don't miss it much.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by T LEE

And I will never understand how you can be comfortable going down the road looking like a monkey trying to @%$# a football!

Went on a "short" 90 mile ride to Irish Hills, Michigan last year. My friend and I were both on Yamaha sportbikes. Left around 10 am, got there just before noon, had lunch, rode through all the twisties, and were back in the driveway by about 2:30 pm. Great fun.

Went on the same "short" 90 mile ride to Irish Hills, MI two weeks later. Only all of my sportbike buddies bailed and left me with my brother (the V-Star 1100 Classic guy) and two other cruisers. Here I am on the "uncomfortable" bike, and these guys (and one lady on the back of one) stopped EVERY 20 minutes... why? Their backs hurt!

I just laughed when the lady made the comment about being "hunched-over". I guess she just couldn't make the connection!

"Where we stoppin' next, guys?" was their question.

"IRISH-FREAKIN' HILLS! LET'S GO!" Was my reply. On the way back, I made sure to take a little longer getting ready, so I could ride back by myself!

Let me just say that I'm not as young as I used to be, I'm a blue-collar guy with an abused back, also, but my back has never complained on my bike.
I noticed that when my back is hurting while driving a work-truck or whatever, I pull myself forward over my knees, and it relieves the pain. Anyone else noticed that? Ends up being roughly the same position as on my bike.

Just something I noticed about "comfort".

BTW, I wave to everyone, even the scooter-riders, cause who am I to judge people on their choice of rides. Everyone waves back except about 25% of Harley riders. Notice that means 75% do, and I appreciate that. I like to ride, and I enjoy the camaraderie with other bikers no matter what they choose to ride.
Glad some of you guys think that people like me dont own a harley cause we cant afford it, and that we cant compare our bike to yours cause we've never ridden or owned a harley. Thats funny. True enough, I dont have 100000 miles on a harley, but I have ridden several on several different occasions. I like the bikes, Just not the people. I have a neighbor that I've known since I was 4. He is about 20yrs older than me. Anyways, I saw he had a new set of his and hers harley in the driveway, so I went over to talk bikes. I made over his wheels and talked for prolly 1/2 an hour or so talking about our favorite rides and then it happens.He asks, so which harley do you ride? I respond that I have a Victory, and then dead silence. He next says, well, have a good one, and turns and walks away. I have seen him several times and he will no longer even look in my direction. Whats the deal? Its whats not said that pisses me off the most. Who knows, maybe he's lost some bets with vic riders in the past.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10

Most who badmouth Harleys can't afford them.

I'm not a Harley basher at all. If guys want to spend their free time riding around on a bike, that's fine with me. Less guys on the river or in the mountains getting in my way.

But.. Can't afford a Harley? Anybody can go down to the bank and get a loan these days. It's not a matter of "not being able to afford"..
Posted By: toad Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10

[Linked Image]

we have fans in the mountains too...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete E Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
Not a fan of bikes in general, which could be more to do with the British weather and short winter days, but H-D's seem to be getting a big following over here now. Over the summer, there must be 2 or 3 HD weekends based at a campground just up the road.

Go into the town at night and it looks like a scense from the Wild Bunch, except they are all terribly polite and speak with middle England accents. I suppose if you have adopt a naff dressing-up hobby, better that than line dancing in fake Western gear! grin
Originally Posted by Pete E

Go into the town at night and it looks like a scense from the Wild Bunch, except they are all terribly polite and speak with middle England accents. I suppose if you have adopt a naff dressing-up hobby, better that than line dancing in fake Western gear! grin

Maybe they're the type Harley is trying to market to now.
Queers and steers. WTF was Harley thinking for their 100th birthday bash?
http://www.onmilwaukee.com/music/articles/elton.html

[Linked Image]
I would venture a guess that a lot more gays ride crotch rockets than Harley Davidson products.
At least it seems that way in Minnesota.
I can tell you that I have never owned anything else since my first purchase in 1977. I bought three shovelheads during the AMF years and then a 1996 EVO which I still own.
The Jap bike riders seem to be jealous to me. JMO
My bike gets better gas mileage than the ricers, which they can't understand? I have 1340 cc and get more MPG than an 1800CC Gold Wing which weighs more than mine, and costs more as well.
So the old stereotype about Harley's being to expensive and to heavy is BS.
It isn't really fair comparing an Electra Glide to a Crotch rocket.
I had the cash to buy a new one in 1994 but had to wait for two years to get my 1996 model.
During that time I could have purchased a new BMW or HONDA but choose to do without rather than buy some product that was made by our enemies in World War 2.
Some people would rather try to elevate themselves by putting other people down I guess. I don't give a hoot what you ride but you don't need to badmouth my motorcycle either.
whelennut

Jeff

Opinions are cheaper than Harleys.Plus it's fun to pick on Harley riders.
Originally Posted by whelennut
During that time I could have purchased a new BMW or HONDA but choose to do without rather than buy some product that was made by our enemies in World War 2.

So very tempting, this meatball, but I'll pass. whistle
Posted By: Mike53 Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
Toad,

Great photos. That's a nice looking Fat Boy.

Mike

Jeff

Friend Jeff,

The title of this thread caught my eye.... I have been riding on two wheels for more than 40 years... Over that time I have logged nearly 200,000 miles. Roughly 1/3 of that on two different Gold Wings, and another third on 2 different BMW boxer twins. The balance being a Norton, a BSA, 2 Triumphs, 2-Ducatis, 2-Yamahas, and 2-Kawasakis. Two years ago I bought my 1st H-D. ('08 Street Glide) It's been an exceptional bike. My only complaint is the seating position... The 96 C.I. engine has good power, and is quiet enough to enjoy the radio at any legal speed... I love spending the day just day-tripping on the 2-lanes...

I may ride a Harley, but I don't dress the part... I often say that I'm NOT a biker, just a motorcycle enthusiest who happens to own a Harley. White bike, white helmet, brown leather vest, maroon leather jacket... Black gloves (Can't find any brown ones...) and black boots. I do have a beard... (short and neatly trimmed) short hair, and no chains, and no tatoos...

When I meet another rider on the road, I always wave... The G/W riders rarely do... And the crotch/rocket riders almost never wave back. The Japanese Harley clone riders almost always do... Don't know what that means, but facts is facts... smile

Jeff

Jeff, I think you may also be the oddball as you're a Harley rider who's actually ridden the bikes that most Harley riders scoff at. Yes, I chide my buddies who ride Harleys, but its due in no small part to all the chiding I've taken from them, first. So your first sentence can easily be used against Harley riders who have no experience with non-Harley bikes.

Like I said, if I had a dollar for every time I've heard some iteration of the "hunched-over" or "monkey raping a football" comments, I wouldn't have to worry about funding that safari.

And thank you for being one of the 75% of Harley riders who wave back to me. I love motorcycles, just don't have enough money to own EVERY motorcycle that I love!
My first was a 1953 Cushman Eagle Scooter, followed by a retired '43 WLA 45 CI Flathead, a '46 Indian Chief 4 cylinder, '52 Pan Head, '65 FLH Electra Glide and the '76 FLH Electra Glide in my pictures. NONE of them ever left me standing on the side of the road or spent time not moving under their own power. I was always a rider and my wife enjoyed the cruising with me.

Just because I ride a Harley I don't feel superior to others on two wheels. I wave and try my best to be courteous and friendly to all. I even wave and lay off the throttle when I pass bicyclists. Sure some Harley riders are dipshits so are some of every bunch. Don't blame it on the the machine, blame it on the nut behind the bars.

I took a low speed low side spill once and was pinned under my Softtail. It was a lonely country road and gas was dripping on the hot engine. Two bicyclists happened along and got me chrome side up. Maybe that's why I slow down and wave when passing bicyclists. I wasn't much damaged just a bruised knee. I rode home.
Posted By: rifle Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
One of my better days in Michigan...

[Linked Image]

Laughing here. I agree.
Harleys' are great bikes. Just make the Harley guys ride in the back so you won't get hit with parts when they fall off. LOL>
Originally Posted by Grasshopper

When I meet another rider on the road, I always wave... The G/W riders rarely do... And the crotch/rocket riders almost never wave back. The Japanese Harley clone riders almost always do... Don't know what that means, but facts is facts... smile

I always wave too. 90% of HD guys will NOT wave back here, and 90% of rocket riders will. Facts is [sic] facts. wink

Go figure.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10

I always wave too. 90% of HD guys will NOT wave back here, and 90% of rocket riders will. Facts is [sic] facts. wink

Go figure.

L,
That is about like it is here, although I would guess(slightly) less so than in the past(I am a sport bike rider).
Posted By: rifle Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10
I have been surprised that nothing fell of mine,considering the roads in Michigan. But,it was all done by a pro,top drawer stuff,wish he was still alive,I'd do it again...
I think the "rockets" get more of a beating than I do....
I always thought the wave was a little ghey.

Jeff, I think you may also be the oddball as you're a Harley rider who's actually ridden the bikes that most Harley riders scoff at. Yes, I chide my buddies who ride Harleys, but its due in no small part to all the chiding I've taken from them, first. So your first sentence can easily be used against Harley riders who have no experience with non-Harley bikes.

Like I said, if I had a dollar for every time I've heard some iteration of the "hunched-over" or "monkey raping a football" comments, I wouldn't have to worry about funding that safari.

And thank you for being one of the 75% of Harley riders who wave back to me. I love motorcycles, just don't have enough money to own EVERY motorcycle that I love!

Capitalist,

I quite agree with your riding position... My biggest complaint with my Harley, is that I can't get my feet underneath me. smile

The most comfortable bike I ever owned, was my 1984 Kawasaki GPZ-1100. The bike was fast (relatively), VERY comfortable, and would cruise at any speed comfortalby from 70 to 120. Over 120, the wind buffeting was slightly bothersome. smile

Like you, I can't afford all the bikes I'd like. I'd still like a Kawasaki Concours. But my Retired Cop buddy that had one told me he got rid of his because he couldn't keep it under the speed limit. smile

BTW, I still have my 1982 Ducati Pantah that I bought new. Haven't rode it for more than 20 years tho'.

And I, too, have heard all those comments about committing the unspeakable to a football... But most of the guys who told me that can't ride for more than an hour without stopping. Cheers!

Edw
Posted By: 340boy Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/27/10

I can't speak for others, okok, but I always wave to other folks on motorcycles out of respect, though that may seem odd.
They need better mufflers on those things. Loud and annoying.
When I rode I just felt like I was obligated to wave back if someone waved..guess it's just the anti social personality grin Now I hate it when you let someone in on traffic( driving) and the MFR won't even wave or give you a nod. blush
As did I, no matter what they were riding. At least they were in the wind.
i wave when waved to no matter what type of bike
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Harleys' are great bikes. Just make the Harley guys ride in the back so you won't get hit with parts when they fall off. LOL>

I rode my sister's LowRider to go to the Honda shop to get nuts/bolts for my 1100 Spirit....that had vibrated parts off.

My WideGlide has never lost a thing.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10

Jeff

Friend Jeff,

The title of this thread caught my eye.... I have been riding on two wheels for more than 40 years... Over that time I have logged nearly 200,000 miles. Roughly 1/3 of that on two different Gold Wings, and another third on 2 different BMW boxer twins. The balance being a Norton, a BSA, 2 Triumphs, 2-Ducatis, 2-Yamahas, and 2-Kawasakis. Two years ago I bought my 1st H-D. ('08 Street Glide) It's been an exceptional bike. My only complaint is the seating position... The 96 C.I. engine has good power, and is quiet enough to enjoy the radio at any legal speed... I love spending the day just day-tripping on the 2-lanes...

I may ride a Harley, but I don't dress the part... I often say that I'm NOT a biker, just a motorcycle enthusiest who happens to own a Harley. White bike, white helmet, brown leather vest, maroon leather jacket... Black gloves (Can't find any brown ones...) and black boots. I do have a beard... (short and neatly trimmed) short hair, and no chains, and no tatoos...

Edward my friend, glad you chimed in, and hope you're having a great summer; pleased to hear you're enjoying the Street Glide!

I almost wished that I hadn't even mentioned one's appearance and attire, as it's about as meaningless as what bike one rides, when it comes to a persons behavior. I've known plenty of hard core biker types(full sleeves, long hair, blah, blah) that would give you the shirt off their backs, just like I've known of(and worked with) some corporate executives that would stab their own mother in the back, if they thought it would advance their career. All the while being a church going, chamber of commerce, pillar of the community. Just don't mean squat. Folks can be good or bad, no matter what they look like, or what they ride.

As for "the wave", man that's an entire debate unto itself. When I am in the wave mode, I don't even attempt to determine what a fellow rider is on, as I don't care. On two wheels is good enough for me. However, on a windy road, I enjoy a little spirited riding, and generally forgo responding when waved to, as I've got things to manage. I'm sure I get pegged as being an obnoxious Harley rider in such cases, but that's just the way it will have to be. grin

Keep the rubber on the road!

Jeff
Posted By: Mike53 Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10
Being new to this forum it's with great interest that I have been reading the posts on this thread. It's been fascinating to me to see how visceral the reactions are to posts from people who are either pro or con regarding Harleys. I suppose there's a grain of truth in most of the posts but many are more emotional than factual.

I have been riding for over forty years and have owned and ridden many makes of both dirt and street bikes. I currently own a 2004 H-D FXDI and have found it to be to be both reliable and very road worthy.

I'm aware that some Harley riders are elitist with regard to others who choose to ride something other than a Harley but many of us aren't.

Jeff

Couldn't agree more. A H-D is by no means the only bike I will ride, and don't understand the "Harley or nothing" mentality. It definitely works both ways, as you point out.

Folks who knock the sport bike riding position, do so out of ignorance. They're designed that way for a very good reason. Once up to speed, they are quite comfortable. This winter I'll be putting together a Buell XB12 powered, custom trellis framed sport bike. Rear sets, clip ons, etc...

Like you, I simply can't afford all the bikes I'd like to have. Nothing would please me more, than to make Jay Leno green with envy! grin

Good riding to you!

Jeff

Jeff

Friend Jeff,

Edward my friend, glad you chimed in, and hope you're having a great summer; pleased to hear you're enjoying the Street Glide!

I almost wished that I hadn't even mentioned one's appearance and attire, as it's about as meaningless as what bike one rides, when it comes to a persons behavior. I've known plenty of hard core biker types(full sleeves, long hair, blah, blah) that would give you the shirt off their backs, just like I've known of(and worked with) some corporate executives that would stab their own mother in the back, if they thought it would advance their career. All the while being a church going, chamber of commerce, pillar of the community. Just don't mean squat. Folks can be good or bad, no matter what they look like, or what they ride.

As for "the wave", man that's an entire debate unto itself. When I am in the wave mode, I don't even attempt to determine what a fellow rider is on, as I don't care. On two wheels is good enough for me. However, on a windy road, I enjoy a little spirited riding, and generally forgo responding when waved to, as I've got things to manage. I'm sure I get pegged as being an obnoxious Harley rider in such cases, but that's just the way it will have to be. grin

Jeff

How many months a year can one ride in AK and not get caught in ugly weather or ice?

Jeff

Friend Jeff,

Jeff

How many months a year can one ride in AK and not get caught in ugly weather or ice?

Prime riding months are May-Sept. Apr and Oct are marginal, and it varies from year to year, how much riding you get in these months. Of course we also have a few incredibly hard core riders who stud up trikes and side hacks, and ride year round. I ain't one of them! grin

Jeff
Posted By: lhonda Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10

If the intent of the quick wave was to solicit an impromptu hummer at the next rest stop, I guess I'd have to agree. To give a fellow bikie a wave or nod in camaraderie and/or recognition of a shared passion betrays one's homosexual leaning, you contend? Pretty interesting. But then I suppose some just refuse to shed their big badass personas long enough to partake in a friendly gesture. Nothing a few sessions at the shrink couldn't fix. Maybe. smile
Posted By: okok Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10
Hit a nerve? You take this internet wayyy too serious. grin
I run D&D's on my Bonnie,...along with the proper intake and carb jet modifications.

They start to speak up around 3500 RPM,...and they're totally obnoxious out on the interstate doin the ton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hXLYnXdze8
Everybody needs at least one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LmKzPEeJ5s&feature=related

[Linked Image]

Hit a nerve? You take this internet wayyy too serious. grin

Yes, you really upset me. I've already called my Mommy and she's en route with a fluffernutter and jelly with cold milk, and plenty of tissues. I'll never be the same.

wink
She should have a short trip down the stairs to see you. smile
She should have a short trip down the stairs to see you. smile

That's it, I'm telling!
Got into this late, have not read the whole thread but will say that having owned and ridden Gold Wings, Virago's and other Jap bikes, the only reason I am not riding a Harley right now is finances. Luvin my KLR 650 for the moment (the big single piston reminds me a bit of the v-twin HD feel, pretty torquey and you can be in the wrong gear and still roll up the throttle and just go...) and will likely keep it as a useful dual sport but wifey and I both want H-D's soon. A Sportster for her and a Night Train for me. Since the Evo motors and especially the new Twin Cam (twinkie) stuff, the QC, reliablitiy, etc. is fantastic and the Japs just never have really gotten the whole thing exactly "right". Usually they want to hang a stupid radiator off the front end and ruin the lines and sound etc. Some are about as exciting as sitting on a sewing machine and watching a video.Brother in law's Victory is closer, but still not a Harley.
Originally Posted by safariman
Some are about as exciting as sitting on a sewing machine and watching a video.

Ever seen or straddled a V-Max? Boring ain't a word I'd use to describe them, but that's just me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHxOOZ5B20
Posted By: Tracks Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10
I have to agree on the V-Max. I really liked the older ones but nobody can tell mne the were built to handle well. Looked to me like a fast straight line bike. I've seen a few of the new models and I hear the're hot, but they are not for me.

Originally Posted by Tracks
I have to agree on the V-Max. I really liked the older ones but nobody can tell mne the were built to handle well. Looked to me like a fast straight line bike. I've seen a few of the new models and I hear the're hot, but they are not for me.

Nor I. But they're not boring!

wink
Originally Posted by GeoW

I ride a 2002 Bonneville. I wear whatever I happen to have on when I decide to go riding + a pair of wraparound Ray Bans.

tweed pleated knickers 'ol chap? smile
Posted By: rifle Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10
Despite my picture,I do not ride in shorts and sandles,I had just rolled it out of the garage to wipe it down,what you can't see is my left knee in bandages from surgery...waiting to start bending it again...
When I crank it up,it's jeans and western boots...
[Linked Image]
Bashing seems to be the rule of order around here. If some folks love their stuff there's somebody out there who hates it.
I'm starting to get a complex. I love my Kimber rifles, my Leupold scopes and my Harleys, (I have two). I get so much bashing I need therapy to deal with all of the hate! smile

Say what you will, it has been my experience that those who bash are usually jealous. Heck, even Bristoe, lover of Limey bikes, (I had a BSA & a Triumph back in the 60s), admits the desire for a H-D if he could find one at what he considers to be a reasonable price. I cant find a Swaro for what I consider a reasonable price, yet I don't bash them. Should I bash those who go to Africa to hunt? Shouldn't they be supporting American hunting guides? Sounds kind of stupid doesn't it? But, that's what we do.
OK, my minds made up. I'm gonna bash you African safari guys because I cant drop 15 or 20K to go kill some foreign critters. I say "Kill American"!
It's "Million Mile Monday" today so I've got to go strap my Leupold equiped Kimber onto one of the Harleys and put on some miles. Bash ya later dudes!
Posted By: rifle Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10
dude,that was mean....
[Linked Image]

Capitalist,

I quite agree with your riding position... My biggest complaint with my Harley, is that I can't get my feet underneath me. smile
??? You must have a model with forward controls.. Many, if not most, of the HD models have pegs or floorboards that position your feet similar to a normal chair.. Very comfy.

The most comfortable bike I ever owned, was my 1984 Kawasaki GPZ-1100. The bike was fast (relatively), VERY comfortable, and would cruise at any speed comfortalby from 70 to 120. Over 120, the wind buffeting was slightly bothersome. smile
I rode Kawasaki Voyagers (the 1300-6) for 18 years.. And after an hour or two, I had to get off and stretch my legs.. My knees would just kill me. Due to the wide stance and complete lowers on the Voyager, there was no way to move your feet anywhere but to remain on the standard pegs.. The HDUC I have now allows me to move my legs nearly straight and makes for an easy 2-4 hour ride w/o a stop.. 600 miles on the Voyager was a LONNNNNNNNNNGGG day.. The same length on the UC is a walk in the park..

Like you, I can't afford all the bikes I'd like. I'd still like a Kawasaki Concours.
Always wanted to ride one of those, but never got the chance.. It looked like a great bike..
And I, too, have heard all those comments about committing the unspeakable to a football... But most of the guys who told me that can't ride for more than an hour without stopping. Cheers!

Edw
If I got on one of those, I'd have to get off within 25 miles to get rid of the leg cramps.. laugh
Originally Posted by Redneck
??? You must have a model with forward controls.. Many, if not most, of the HD models have pegs or floorboards that position your feet similar to a normal chair.. Very comfy.

Nope! A Street Glide is basically a Road King with the batwing fairing.... Or a FLHT Classic without the trunk. The floorboards are at least a foot too far fwd. Thus far, I've not been able to engineer modifications to move them back, but I'm working on it. smile

One of these days, I'm going to ride over for a visit... smile
Posted By: 700LH Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10
Originally Posted by rifle
Despite my picture,I do not ride in shorts and sandals,I had just rolled it out of the garage to wipe it down,what you can't see is my left knee in bandages from surgery...waiting to start bending it again...
When I crank it up,it's jeans and western boots...
[Linked Image]

One of my favorites was a couple on a full dress bike on the freeway. Both were wearing full face helmets. To help protect themselves she had on a bikini top and short shorts and he was only wearing shorts. Of course both had sandals on for the feet. Been on poker runs where a folks were wearing full leathers, gloves. boots and FF helmets on well over 90 degree days.
Just can't see it myself.
If I am on a trip I will have baggage so I can lean back into it. Bike has floorboards and pegs on a crash bar so I can straiten my legs out, where my feet rest about 90% of the time anyway.

Rode several hundred miles with a guy on a crotch rocket once. It didn't look so comfie to me but then I don't think they are built for that kinda riding, but are right for their intended puropse

Around home rides I wear what I have on pretty much except I dropped the polo shirts after a critter stung me the nipple real HARD a few years back. Damn that hurt for hours. Oh and a ball cap on back wards.

Gad you all make it so damn difficult.
Ride what ya got, enjoy it and so what what others do, or ride, or not.
I have had several brands and had fun on all of em.
I feel your pain, Edward. Looking into some aftermarket extended length floorboards. If anything looks promising, I'll send you a link.

Jeff
Why is it that the majority of the folks who chime in on Harley Davidson related threads, that are throwing stones either a.) Have never ridden, let alone owned one, or b.) Are into a style of motorcycle(primarily "crotch rockets", which I have nothing against, myself) that H-D doesn't even manufacture, so why the comparison? I suppose it's no different than our gun related threads....people seem to like to spout off about things they have no first hand experience with. Just curious

Perhaps it goes back to the days when Japanese bikes were small and many had two stroke ring ding ding engines. Being cheap, these small bikes were ridden by teenages who, like now, pull some dangerous stunts on a regular bases. The Harley riders labeled these bikes as rice burners and there are stories of such motorcycles being burned in the campfires of Sturgis.

Those teenagers are grownup and many gray, but they remember that from the 1969 introduction of the Honda 750, Harley never again had anything that could keep up with the top bikes from Japan or match their quality. Sales of Harleys fell so low that in 1983 Ronald Reagan placed a tariff on imported motorcycles at the request of Harley-Davidson. Yes, Harley bounced back partly by improving their product, but mostly by selling the image and the �life style�. To the dismay of the fans of fast Japanese 4 cylinder engine bikes, most potential customers put �image� (and loud exhaust) ahead of handling and performance, such that the Japanese, who nearly drove Harley out of business, had to emulate Harley to stay in the business.

I still have one of those 1100cc 4 cylinder Jap bikes from the early 90�s in �standard� (non-crotch rockets) configuration. The engine is so smooth and quite you need a tachometer just to know it�s running at a light, yet even with over 50,000 miles it will out-handle and out-accelerate anything Harley ever sold to the public for use on public roads. And yes, I�ve ridden Harley. They are fun to ride and if you want to fit in with a group that parades from bar to bar you better ride a Harley. When I want to experience motorcycling for its own sake I dust off my 20 year-old Suzuki and ride solo.
On the subject of apparel, I've heard it said a Harley rider will wear a ten-dollar helmet and four-hundred dollar boots, whereas a Sportbike rider will wear a four-hundred dollar helmet and ten-dollar tennis-shoes.

My observations here locally pretty much bear that out, with the exception of the military personnel, who are required to wear certain articles for safety.

I've never really experienced any animosity between the two groups, actually having some very pleasant conversations with Sportbike riders, and offers to ride their bikes. The worst attitudes I have experienced has been with the Japanese cruiser crowd. Kind of "I am superior". Not all of them, though. Oh, well....
This episode of south park says it all. Not safe for work! http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251889/
Life begins at 180 MPH
This is how I roll:
[Linked Image]
I like stuff that's made in the USA, and therefore I like Harleys as a general rule. What I DON'T like however, is the loud exhaust, and the love affair with it. I live rurally, but my house is off of a state highway. It is very scenic, running along a rather major tributary to the Mississippi River. It is therefore a magnet to the biking crowd, especially the Harleys, for a nice leisurely run. Bikes that are unmodified, no problem, but the aftermarket pipes that I can here from 3 miles upriver from 3 miles down make me want to stretch some LearJet control cable across the highway.
I've talked to a few of these clubs civilly a time or two, and one thing they DO agree on is that they wouldn't like the noise in THEIR neighborhood- go figure. We bought the house 22 years ago, and the amount of traffic on the highway was probably 1/20th what it is now. We were already planning to get out of Illinausea anyway, but if forced to stay here, we are selling our house because of the noise produced by the Harleys spring, summer, and fall. Too bad- it's a damn nice house and acreage.
This coming from a guy who used to (and still may in the future) run offshore boats with twin supercharged big-blocks running 4" thru-transom exhausts; very well muffled mind you until well offshore, where no one was bothered.
I own a ten dollar helmet and a better one too,but if I am in Idaho they stay home. If we ride over to over regulated Oregon we take helmets.

IMO helmets like seatbelt are for the most part a pretty good idea. I wear a seatbelt 95% of the time but I won't get a ticket in Idaho if I don't, which is how it should be. Government has no bidness regulating what we as adults do in that area. Part of what's causes and is wrong with soccer mom mentality is that kinda BS law, and mindset.
Originally Posted by levrluvr
I like stuff that's made in the USA, and therefore I like Harleys as a general rule. What I DON'T like however, is the loud exhaust, and the love affair with it. I live rurally, but my house is off of a state highway. It is very scenic, running along a rather major tributary to the Mississippi River. It is therefore a magnet to the biking crowd, especially the Harleys, for a nice leisurely run. Bikes that are unmodified, no problem, but the aftermarket pipes that I can here from 3 miles upriver from 3 miles down make me want to stretch some LearJet control cable across the highway.
I've talked to a few of these clubs civilly a time or two, and one thing they DO agree on is that they wouldn't like the noise in THEIR neighborhood- go figure. We bought the house 22 years ago, and the amount of traffic on the highway was probably 1/20th what it is now. We were already planning to get out of Illinausea anyway, but if forced to stay here, we are selling our house because of the noise produced by the Harleys spring, summer, and fall. Too bad- it's a damn nice house and acreage.
This coming from a guy who used to (and still may in the future) run offshore boats with twin supercharged big-blocks running 4" thru-transom exhausts; very well muffled mind you until well offshore, where no one was bothered.

Big Noise little d ick syndrome.Annoys me too.

Nope! A Street Glide is basically a Road King with the batwing fairing.... Or a FLHT Classic without the trunk. The floorboards are at least a foot too far fwd. Thus far, I've not been able to engineer modifications to move them back, but I'm working on it. smile
Didn't know you had a street glide.. I didn't see that in the above posting..

One of these days, I'm going to ride over for a visit... smile
Do so, any time.. laugh
I am 55 years old and have never liked Harleys. I have ridden Japanese Standard and then cruiser bikes for years. Most of the bikes over the years I have seen stranded have been Harleys. Why pay 2....3 times as much for something without the reliabity. And they are not that darn comfortable. I have driven friends harleys. I am not looking to be a fake outlaw.
What cracks me up is the way people seem to have to dress up, like Halloween or something, when they get on one.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
What cracks me up is the way people seem to have to dress up, like Halloween or something, when they get on one.

You mean, you're not impressed? lol
Originally Posted by 700LH
I own a ten dollar helmet and a better one too,but if I am in Idaho they stay home. If we ride over to over regulated Oregon we take helmets.

IMO helmets like seatbelt are for the most part a pretty good idea. I wear a seatbelt 95% of the time but I won't get a ticket in Idaho if I don't, which is how it should be. Government has no bidness regulating what we as adults do in that area. Part of what's causes and is wrong with soccer mom mentality is that kinda BS law, and mindset.

I must admit to the ten-dollar helmet thing, too. But I gots good boots!!
Posted By: T LEE Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10

You mean, you're not impressed? lol

We never did:

[Linked Image]
Big Noise little d ick syndrome.Annoys me too.

Condolences offered for suffering such a gawdawful affliction
Posted By: 340boy Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I must admit to the ten-dollar helmet thing, too. But I gots good boots!!

Not quite the same thing, I realize; but when I first started roadracing, I invested about $3K in protective gear. One piece(full suit) leathers, back protector, boots, gloves, and an Arai helmet.
I still wear that stuff when I am doing some serious canyon carving up in the mountains-I get some funny looks, but that is OK.
I have had a few serious cases of road rash riding bicycles and I have no desire to do that again, ever!
eek
Big difference in "canyon carving" racing or motocross kinda off road riding, or a leisurely ride through farm country or country highways which is what most of my riding has become.
Freeway speeds and traffic make a lid and leathers feel just fine and dandy.

On a long cross country ride I would shut my pipes up if possible, but when your in heavy traffic and you can see drivers looking for you because they hear you before they see you, makes the saying "loud pipes save lives" feel like a reality.
Harleys... my son says, when they stop leakin' oil I'll buy one.
Don't know about that. I always had a thing for Suzuki's. But I'm a girl, and I loved to ride 'em. Sweet memories till I'm pushing up daisies.
Originally Posted by bearmgc
Then he better get his eyes tested... The 4 HDs I've had since '04 haven't had so much as even a slight film appear anywhere on the engine - much less a droplet on the garage floor..

Mines a evo that the speedo turned 66666.6 my last ride. I can park it on the walk in front of my front door after a ride, leave it for hours, and not a drop of oil will be there when I move it.

Things have changed in the last couple of decades
Darlin', only quoting. Aint saying he's right. But also aint saying Harleys are beautiful. I'm from Wisconsin, so might say a vested interest here. People got their opinions. Just don't diss Suzuki's....
Big difference in "canyon carving" racing or motocross kinda off road riding, or a leisurely ride through farm country or country highways which is what most of my riding has become.
Freeway speeds and traffic make a lid and leathers feel just fine and dandy.

On a long cross country ride I would shut my pipes up if possible, but when your in heavy traffic and you can see drivers looking for you because they hear you before they see you, makes the saying "loud pipes save lives" feel like a reality.

Agreed.
I don't think wearing a helmet should be mandatory, which is a nice thing about Idaho(one of many).
However, I always wear a helmet-I have lost two good friends to head injuries on motorcycles, and neither one of them was going very fast when the accidents occured
MY first bike when I was 15 in the 60's was a Suzuki, and I have spent many a pleasant mile on a 850 in the early 80's.
No helmits=freedom? Damn, another potential TBI, I'll see in the Neuro unit.
Can't fix stupid....but I respect anyone's right to be stupid. Please, please wear a helmet. Just don't diss Suzuki's.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
My WideGlide has never lost a thing.

Vic, I have a 1993 Dyna Wide Glide 90th Anniversary Edition for sale.Meticuously maintained, loaded with chrome.Paint and metal are flawless.New belt and good rubber. 48,000 miles. $7000

Just though I'd throw it at ya.

Thanks, Denny.
Can't fix stupid....

I *do* think not wearing a helmet is foolish,and as I posted above, I always wear one.
However, I don't like having the government telling me I have to wear one.

But it ain't a Harley. [/quote]

Thank God.
That oil leaking thing is just stupid. Ride what you like in any way you like, but to base opinions on something outdated makes no sense.
I felt the same way about HDs for years and my friends kid me now about things I used to say about them.
The XJ750J Maxium I rode years ago was a fantastic bike for it's purpose- that of getting me thru freeway traffic in and around LA, white lining between cars calls for a bike capable of precise handeling- but when I hit the open road I always wished for something bigger and more comfortable
The Yamaha V-star I bought a few years ago never seemed to fit the type of open country riding I do now, so I bought my current Harley. It suits me.
If my riding need change, I may go to something entirely different.
What anybody rides or wears should be his own business and if it's reflects his tastes it's sure no business of mine.
Originally Posted by 340boy
Can't fix stupid....

I *do* think not wearing a helmet is foolish,and as I posted above, I always wear one.

I understand. But I'm asking folks to please wear a helmit. 32years as a nurse, I can't erase the memories of guys and gals forever changed by a head injury. I, as an old but cognizant RN, and former biker, ask, no, plead with folks to wear a helmet, please.
What anybody rides or wears should be his own business and if it's reflects his tastes it's sure no business of mine.

Covers it all pretty well right there.
Can't fix stupid....

I understand. But I'm asking folks to please wear a helmit. 32years as a nurse, I can't erase the memories of guys and gals forever changed by a head injury. I, as an old but cognizant RN, and former biker, ask, no, plead with folks to wear a helmet, please.

Got ya.
wink
I don't think wearing a helmet should be mandatory, which is a nice thing about Idaho(one of many).
However, I always wear a helmet-I have lost two good friends to head injuries on motorcycles, and neither one of them was going very fast when the accidents occured

Here we go.... Popcorn time... Soon there'll be the full-face helmet crowd yowling about all that 'free health care'....

I can see it comin'.. Like I can see the corn grow.. laugh laugh

Can't fix stupid....

Know what? If bikers would drive like their life depended on it, there'd BE no head injuries.. Unfortunately many do not ride with that attitude..

Ok - butter melted, salt applied - I'm ready.. laugh laugh
Joking aside, if one accepts the possible consequences of riding without a helmet, to include the pain and suffering of relatives, and the possible financial duress they may incur, so be it. Ultimately though, it boils down to a really BIG ego, and a teennie tiny regard for others. Now that is really something to brag about....Redneck, luv ya, but yer singing a weak song.
Lee,
Wasn't trying to start a ruckus.
Just sayin' that for *me* a helmet is something I won't go without.
As far as 'riding like your life depends on it', I agree, however, you can't control what the bozo in the giant SUV that is texting her friend instead of driving is going to do, no?
Joking aside, if one accepts the possible consequences of riding without a helmet, to include the pain and suffering reletives, and the possible financial duress they may incur, so be it. Ultimately though, it boils down to a really BIG ego, and a teennie tiny regard for others. Now that is really something to brag about....Redneck, luv ya, but yer singing a weak song.

and the HWY runs both ways too.
BINGO! Oncoming cars can't be predicted, drivers in front can't be predicted, road conditions can't be predicted...

I flew with a guy in Chicago who always rode Japanese-made bikes; I asked him what he had against Harley Davidson and he said
"it's not just the vibration... I want a bike I can ride to the grocery, work, deli, or the girlfriend's house without getting dressed up like the Village People".... grin
Over confidence can kill, testosterone notwithstanding....
Have had friends die with and without helmets. Had the Doc tell another he woulda been dead or paralyzed if he WOULD have had one on. Over all are they safer? Like seatbelts, I think the stats prove it, but we otta be free to make that choice ourself.

This is like arguing back ground checks and other such gun laws. It's fruitless.
C-ya on this one

Methinks you are rationalizing. But, whatever...
Anyone who wouldn't wear a helmet or a seat belt is an f'n Donkey..laws or no laws.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10
Don't know about that. I always had a thing for Suzuki's. But I'm a girl, and I loved to ride 'em. Sweet memories till I'm pushing up daisies.

The oil leaking thing is a thing of the past. I ride with a guy who owns a Street Glide and until he started messing with it, it was reliable. After he put a "Screaming Eagle" kit on it to gain a whooping 8 or 10 horsepower he's had it in the shop about 25% of the time. The last time he split the crank shaft (apparently they are not a one piece crank) and it was out of service for two months.
Anyone who wouldn't wear a helmet or a seat belt is an f'n Donkey..laws or no laws.

I agree, but everyone has the right to be a "f'n Donkey".
It's a somewhat worse critter that tries to enforce his views on somone else.
Originally Posted by Tracks

I agree, but everyone has the right to be a "f'n Donkey".
It's a somewhat worse critter that tries to enforce his views on somone else.

YUP.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/28/10
I agree that everyone should have the freedom of choice. When one is to stupid to make a right choice, well that's why we have helmet laws I guess.
Job security for me...I guess. There's usually one room available on the Neuro Traumatic Brain injury unit. FYI, the internet= aint but sumptum to do....
No intended offense, please please wear a helmet, regardless of your testosterone level or political leaning. That is my message, no messing with ya.
Lee,
Wasn't trying to start a ruckus.
Just sayin' that for *me* a helmet is something I won't go without.
I know - no problem..
As far as 'riding like your life depends on it', I agree, however, you can't control what the bozo in the giant SUV that is texting her friend instead of driving is going to do, no?
Nope.. But I can control my position and my attention to that vehicle.. And I've had geezers in a Buick move into my lane on the freeway and I'm right next to 'em.. Knew they were going to do it before THEY did.. Saw the hands move on the wheel - then I watched his front tire.. I just backed off as he moved over, then rode up to his window and pointed to my mirror and yelled over "PAY ATTENTION"..

BTW, over the last couple weeks there've been six M/C fatalities in this area - and five of 'em were wearin' helmets..

I wonder if bearmgc has ever had any car accident victims in with severe head injuries (just asking - curious here)? Even with seat belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes etc., people in cars do NOT pay attention and suffer accordingly.. So (and here's where I'm leadin' to) why not have a law that mandates helmets in cars???

Seems to me a logical extension..

Before I finish - there are times I do wear a helmet.. Mainly any time I'm inside the 494-694 beltway in and around Murderapolis.. Too many idiots going 25+ over the limit who have NO idea what that little stalk indicater is on the LH side of the steering wheel.. I avoid that area on a motorcycle like I would avoid the plague... Also in any state where the law says.. But I hate any law that doesn't give me the option.. Same with seat belts.. New law here made it a primary stop.. I don't give a damn.. I'm not wearing one unless I'm in the F-350 and towin' the 30' 5er..

Ok, popcorn batch one is done.. Starting on two.. Heheheehee..

Knew I forgot something: A recent M/C accident in the cities.. The guy dumped the bike and was basically uninjured.. He left the wreck (it was on I35, IIRC) and was walking down the freeway toward an exit when he was hit and killed by an SUV.. That has to be the king of bad luck.. Hehehehe..
I agree that everyone should have the freedom of choice. When one is to stupid to make a right choice, well that's why we have helmet laws I guess.

I think the only reason it's not law is so they'll have otherwise perfectly good organs to donate/transplant.
I just realized that there a lot of Harley-Davidson owners on this site. Then the thought occurred to me... If the Savage owners here can have a Savage Fest why can't the Harley owners have a Harley Fest ?

I have met numerous other members of the 24HCF in my home state and in my travels... I think it would be a hoot to have a gathering and meet up with a few more...

What say ya'll? How about a Midwest Harley Fest? I might mention that it doesn't necessarily have to be restricted to Harleys... smile
Posted By: akjeff Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/29/10
Pretty cool idea, Edward! Would be great to meet other campfire members who are into motorcycles, no matter the brand. If I ever get my bike down your way, a ride will be a must!

As for some of the truly moronic cliches/stereotyping spewed by some folks, I'm at a loss for words....civil ones anyway smirk . I find the behavior fascinating and annoying, at the same time.

Jeff
How about a Midwest Harley Fest?

It's called Sturgis - and it's coming up in early August.. laugh laugh

(It's 'too' stupid...) That's your opinion and you're free to post it..

I think the only reason it's not law is so they'll have otherwise perfectly good organs to donate/transplant.
Hey. Whatever we can do to help others... Heheheheee..
I HATE the government having enough power to make people's decisions for them. What I hate worse is the same government trying to outlaw my motorcycle while holding up pictures of shredded heads as their evidence for doing so.

Yes, people die with helmets on, can't quite understand how someone would've died because of one, that one stumps me.

We, as motorcycle (and gun, for that matter) enthusiasts are walking a tight-rope on the edge of a cliff. I just don't want to give them weapons against us.
Originally Posted by JOG

What about the squids? The guys riding their jap bikes with flip flops and a pair of shorts and a wife beater T-shirt. grin
whelennut
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/30/10
Laffin. I get a kick out of that. Going to be real messy when they hit the pavement for the first time.
I just realized that there a lot of Harley-Davidson owners on this site. Then the thought occurred to me... If the Savage owners here can have a Savage Fest why can't the Harley owners have a Harley Fest ?

I have met numerous other members of the 24HCF in my home state and in my travels... I think it would be a hoot to have a gathering and meet up with a few more...

What say ya'll? How about a Midwest Harley Fest? I might mention that it doesn't necessarily have to be restricted to Harleys... smile

Great idea. Where and when? Sturgis is a joke, Disneyland in the Badlands. What would work is a rally of those of us like minded and doesn't matter what you ride; two, three, or four wheels all the same to me if you are of good cheer.
I HATE the government having enough power to make people's decisions for them.
Bravo.. I couldn't agree more..
What I hate worse is the same government trying to outlaw my motorcycle while holding up pictures of shredded heads as their evidence for doing so.
Like they do for the anti-gunners?? Yep..

Yes, people die with helmets on, can't quite understand how someone would've died because of one, that one stumps me.
Several, IIRC, literally lost their heads when the helmet has caught on something during the crash.. They find the head inside the helmet several feet away..

We, as motorcycle (and gun, for that matter) enthusiasts are walking a tight-rope on the edge of a cliff. I just don't want to give them weapons against us.
Interestingly enough, TAX HELL WISCONSIN had a helmet law.. It was thankfully voted out sometime in the early to mid '70s..

The dudes I know on crotch rockets definitely SHOULD be wearin' helmets - since those bikes are usually pushed hard and fast, and usually by neo-riders who don't have the experience yet.. Thinking about it more yesterday, it may be a good idea to mandate helmets for ALL riders with less than 5 years experience on two wheels.

I started my son riding a mini-motorcycle (Yamaha 50) at age 5. Damn straight he wore a helmet.. He's now almost 19 and rides my other HD (FXD) and only feels comfy when wearing his full-face lid. Good. And for the first year on this bike I insisted that he only ride that bike trailing me on the bagger so he can see what I see, avoid what I avoid, and learn the little tricks that ensure a safe ride.. After each leg we'd talk about the road just traveled - discuss the corners and where any gravel/sand was located and why my bike is positioned where it was on that corner.. I always told him to put his wheeltrack on mine on the corners, then ride stagger-lane on the straights..

Only after one year was he allowed to go on his own. But he always has his helmet on. (it's no cheapie either.. IIRC it was nearly $400)..

Great idea. Where and when? Sturgis is a joke, Disneyland in the Badlands.
It's kind of gotten that way over the last 15 years.. Too bad.. However, I don't spend a lot of time in town. Mostly on the wonderful roads within a 400 mile radius of Sturgis. Still, all the bikers I meet are damn fine folks..
What would work is a rally of those of us like minded and doesn't matter what you ride; two, three, or four wheels all the same to me if you are of good cheer.
Hear hear... laugh

Great idea. Where and when? Sturgis is a joke, Disneyland in the Badlands. What would work is a rally of those of us like minded and doesn't matter what you ride; two, three, or four wheels all the same to me if you are of good cheer.

I'll be watching for this event or like events and I'll be sure to inform/include my uncle & my cousin, a father/daugher Harley rider duo. (forum members "muffy" and "uncle dusty") if you saw Dusty's bike.... oh lordy, what a beauty (Heritage springer), Muffy's sporty is very cool too.

If nothing else, we should try to organize regional events/get togethers.

It would be fun to see posts with stories/photos of such events in the forums here. In MN the first place that comes to mind is old hiway 1 between Ely MN & the north shore of superior. Then up & down the shore of course to see the beautiful parks & some of the sites. Then maybe down to Canal park in Duluth to say we heard our tires hum across the famous iron lift bridge.

I'm bikeless at the moment but lesser things have been known to inspire me to buy things......

grin
Last year I just bought my first motorcycle, a 1999 Yamaha 1100 V Star custom. I wasn't sure if I would be into it so I didn't wanna spend a ton of money. Well the customization bug bit, and I've done all kinds of stuff to it. You have alot of the HOG types who try to look down on it, but they don't like when I ask how many miles they have and tell them that I put 4,500 miles on mine during the winter. On the other hand I have met a ton of people who don't care what you ride, just that you ride, and actually complement my ride. I don't care what people think, I just love to ride a,d actually enjoy having something a little different. There is a good chance my next bike may be a Harley, I really want a old Pan or a shovel, although it may end up being a geezer glide. For that matter there is a good chance it could be a Victory crossroads. I was just up at New York at West Point, and got a chance to go to some shops, OCC included. I went to a shop up there called Outback Customs, where they build all kinds of harleys. I talked to the owner for about 20 minutes about my bike, and he was genuinely interested about it, which was nice, and he made 20 bucks on me buying a t shirt cuz of his attitude, ok rant over.
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
Last year I just bought my first motorcycle, a 1999 Yamaha 1100 V Star custom. I wasn't sure if I would be into it so I didn't wanna spend a ton of money. Well the customization bug bit, and I've done all kinds of stuff to it. You have alot of the HOG types who try to look down on it, but they don't like when I ask how many miles they have and tell them that I put 4,500 miles on mine during the winter. On the other hand I have met a ton of people who don't care what you ride, just that you ride, and actually complement my ride. I don't care what people think, I just love to ride a,d actually enjoy having something a little different. There is a good chance my next bike may be a Harley, I really want a old Pan or a shovel, although it may end up being a geezer glide. For that matter there is a good chance it could be a Victory crossroads. I was just up at New York at West Point, and got a chance to go to some shops, OCC included. I went to a shop up there called Outback Customs, where they build all kinds of harleys. I talked to the owner for about 20 minutes about my bike, and he was genuinely interested about it, which was nice, and he made 20 bucks on me buying a t shirt cuz of his attitude, ok rant over.

Rant, you're doing it wrong!

lol!! that wernt no rant, man, you need to work on that.

grin

every bike you mentioned in your post sounded interesting to me.
LOL, yea not much of a rant cuz it's not an issue that fires me up, I don't care what you ride, and I don't care if you care what I ride!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I'm bikeless at the moment ...

Ye Gods, man, you're scarin' me...

FWIW, I don't care what anyone rides either, as long as it's on wheels and has an engine.. But I draw the line at scooters.. laugh laugh laugh

But I digress.. I love Duluth for a bike destination.. Just speed through Superior to get to it.. What a seedy place THAT is... geez...
RKC

I'm holding out for an RKC redneck, that's what I want with my next bike.

I'd prefer 07 or a little newer so I'd get more gears under me but if the right deal came along on a garge queen from the early 2000's I'd go for it.

hey, superior does have one decent gunshop I know of though.... and they sell beer on sunday, other than that..... yeah.

Posted By: DARBY Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 06/30/10
ND, are you getting ready to step up to that Road King - ?? What became of the Polaris or whatever you had - ?? cool

Hah - I see that you posted about the RK while I was writing this.

hey, superior does have one decent gunshop I know of though....
Really? Where?
and they sell beer on sunday, other than that..... yeah.

Well, it IS Wisconsin, after all... laugh laugh

Some day I wanna get to Pug's shop in south Duluth.. Last time I got there it was closed - he was off on some gunshow somewhere.. A very innocuous building - but the solid and rather large bars across all the windows and door gives one a clue that something good is inside..

Ever been there??

added: in today's economy, I would think you could find a RKC at a decent value rather easily..
Got a Hayabusa and a Harley Fat Boy. Love em both, totally different riding styles. Wouldn't own a sportbike that wasn't Japanese or a cruiser that wasn't American. YMMV
hey, superior does have one decent gunshop I know of though....
Really? Where?
and they sell beer on sunday, other than that..... yeah.

Well, it IS Wisconsin, after all... laugh laugh

Some day I wanna get to Pug's shop in south Duluth.. Last time I got there it was closed - he was off on some gunshow somewhere.. A very innocuous building - but the solid and rather large bars across all the windows and door gives one a clue that something good is inside..

Ever been there??

added: in today's economy, I would think you could find a RKC at a decent value rather easily..

pugs shop? I dunno where that is.

there's a little shop out in hermantownish area called fishermans corner.

worth a stop for the used inventory.

Here ya go:

http://www.pugsguns.com/index.action

Has a lot of high-end stuff; collector type firearms etc..

I just wanna go there and have a drool rag handy.. laugh laugh

added: check out this little gem:
http://www.pugsguns.com/findItem.action?id=1705
good lord, drool rag indeed! lol!!

wow.
LOL, yea not much of a rant cuz it's not an issue that fires me up, I don't care what you ride, and I don't care if you care what I ride!

I don't care if you ride.

Say what you want about the fruits and nuts in California but we have the best motorcycle roads and the best riding weather in the world. Check this out <www.pashnit.com>.

If there is enough serious interest I would organize something in Northern California.
I don't even need to click the link to believe you man.

I don't care that you don't care that I ride!

I don't care that you don't care that I ride!

Ya well..well..
Posted By: akjeff Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/01/10
RKC

I'd prefer 07 or a little newer so I'd get more gears under me but if the right deal came along on a garge queen from the early 2000's I'd go for it.

Dave,

Thought I'd pass on a little food for thought on the RKC, which is a great bike, BTW. I'd seriously consider holding out on a '09 or newer, and here's why. I rode a 80" Evo powered '92 FLHS(which eventually morphed into the Road King) for many trouble free years, and thought it was a fine machine, and it is/was. However, in 2009, the MoCo completely redesigned the bagger chassis. New frame, steering geometry, isolation mounts....The new chassis, coupled with the 96" Twin Cam motor, is a huge leap forward in the FLH/FLT series of bikes. My '09 Road Glide handles so much better, and has more useable power(thanks to the 6-speed tranny, coupled with new pulley ratios in the primary drive). I could go on and on. After owning/riding both pre and post '09's, there is simply no comparison. Good luck in your quest!

Jeff

Jeff

Normally people answer by saying I have never done this myself but this is what I think.
All I can say is that when people start bashing an American made product and start glorifying a pile of plastic and aluminum, we are in trouble as a nation!

My Electra Glide just got 50 mpg on the last tankful. Lets see
a crotch rocket do that!
My first three Harley Davidson motorcycles were worth the purchase price when I traded them in on new motorcycles.
Lets see you do that with any Jap bike.
It's to bad they can't just ride the brand they prefer without bashing some other brand.
whelennut
All I can say is: "There are different tools for different jobs." The Cresent wrench is NOT the only tool in the tool box. smile

While I dearly love my '08 Street Glide , If'n I wanted to "carve up the canyon" I'd not hesitate to unearth my 1982 Ducati Pantah ! But the Duc remains fairly retired. It's not all that much fun in MI. smile However, If I lived in Tennessee or Colorado or...

For the kind of riding I do now, the Harley is very good at. The 96 C.I. Big Twin has power to spare... And the 6-Speed tranny is very user friendly. But best of all, is the Delphi fuel injection... No muss, No Fuss, and No adjustments... Just push the button and GO... (And BION, no oil spots on the garage floor either...) smile

'Course I'm getting to the age that I have no craving to go 200 m.p.h. nor harbour any latent desire to have the front wheel in the air... blush (I'm slightly embarassed to say that at one time, I did!)

While like any machine, I can pick it apart, But overall, it's a great ride and the Big Twin power pulsing up thru the seat is very satisfying. You can bet that this one won't be my last...

Edw

Harleys aren't the best. Harleys aren't the worst. Harleys are, well, just Harleys, and unlike some other brands they don't try to be anything other than Harleys. Love them or hate them they will hold close to their original heritage.

I have a friend who is my main wrench. He used to ride a Harley but has since as he said "evolved" into a BMW. He is an Iron Butt aficionado and I suppose if you are into that insanity a BMW is the way to go.

I once went into a BMW dealership and said, "I ride a Harley what can you say to convince me to buy a BMW?" He said, "I don't have to say a word just take a ride" He tossed me the keys to a new one. I didn't take him up because I knew he was right and didn't want to burst the bubble I still live in.
RKC

Dave,

Thought I'd pass on a little food for thought on the RKC, which is a great bike, BTW. I'd seriously consider holding out on a '09 or newer, and here's why. I rode a 80" Evo powered '92 FLHS(which eventually morphed into the Road King) for many trouble free years, and thought it was a fine machine, and it is/was. However, in 2009, the MoCo completely redesigned the bagger chassis. New frame, steering geometry, isolation mounts....The new chassis, coupled with the 96" Twin Cam motor, is a huge leap forward in the FLH/FLT series of bikes. My '09 Road Glide handles so much better, and has more useable power(thanks to the 6-speed tranny, coupled with new pulley ratios in the primary drive). I could go on and on. After owning/riding both pre and post '09's, there is simply no comparison. Good luck in your quest!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, a friend of mine passed on a sweet trade in deal which would have brought him from his 100 anniversary model year (03?) RKC with 65k to an 09 RKC. He passed because he said the 09 seat height was too tall for him. He's a short dude.

nice to hear some specifics on the changes for 09 other than (it's just taller)

RKC

Dave,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, a friend of mine passed on a sweet trade in deal which would have brought him from his 100 anniversary model year (03?) RKC with 65k to an 09 RKC. He passes because he said the 09 seat height was too tall for him. He's a short dude.

nice to hear some specifics on the changes for 09 other than (it's just taller)

All the above is spot on.. It's the one thing I noted on this '09 UC vs. the '05 I had before - seat height.. It's about an inch higher (I still think it's due to the rear tire size change in that year) and, even though I'm of average height, I have to work at getting both feet flat on the ground...

A minor beef..

I once went into a BMW dealership and said, "I ride a Harley what can you say to convince me to buy a BMW?" He said, "I don't have to say a word just take a ride" He tossed me the keys to a new one. I didn't take him up because I knew he was right and didn't want to burst the bubble I still live in.

HAH.. He had ya bluffed; and YOU BOUGHT IT!!! laugh laugh If he'd have tossed me the keys I would have gone for a ride.. They're great bikes.. But IMVHO the comfort level's just not there when compared to what I have now.. At my age - comfort is everything..
not to "bash" anything but I have 3 friends that drove bikes frome MN up to AK recently & had the bikes shipped home & they flew back home(they planned it that way)

Anyways, that's a big trip. All the bikes were sort of "chuck norris delta forced up" meaning they were dual sport touring types made to run comfortably on the dirt roads as well as the paved stuff.

2 were BMW, Other I think was a yammi.

They worked on the BMW's pretty much every day.

Never touched the less expensive yammi, just gas & go.
Always a pleasure to hear the usual Harley rider stereotypes.

Sorry Bub,

Just climbed off of my bike yesterday... about 5,500 -6,000 miles in 18 days (ain't done the math yet, but most of those miles were in just 7 of those days).

Texas - Ohio - New York - North Carolina - Texas.

This was interesting to me since I haven't mingled in motorcycle circles for about 15 years.

Did an OC Chopper poker run in Orange County, and hit the legendary Tail of the Dragon stretch of 129 in the Smokies. So I was around some bikes.

I got nothing against Harleys for what they are. But the "Harley rider stereotypes"? Self-inflicted, 100%.

Walk into any of them cookie-cutter new Harley dealerships. They ain't about motorcycles.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: akjeff Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/01/10
The increased seat height is actually a plus for me, at 6'3". Could very well be due to the new tire size. I haven't compared the rolling diameter of the new 180/17 vs. the old 130/16's. I do believe the lean angles are better as well. I made the mistake of lowering my FLHS, and will never do that again. Used to grind the floorboards on a regular basis. Have not thrown a spark yet, with this '09 at stock height.

Jeff
the height thing wouldn't be a prob for me either, it's very good to know about all those possitive changes for 09. I will keep that in mind.

'Nother nice thing about that new tire.. I've got almost 8700 miles on the clock and there's still 45% tread.. I'm pretty sure I won't have to change it this year, even with the Sturgis run..

The '05's tire had to be swapped for a new one at 7,000 miles..
I once went into a BMW dealership and said, "I ride a Harley what can you say to convince me to buy a BMW?" He said, "I don't have to say a word just take a ride"

Maybe, depends upon the Beemer and yerself.

Sixteen years back I bought one of these 'the one bike to last me forever', the last of the old airhead Beemers, the R100 GS/PD. Sort of a German equivalent to the ol' eternally-rebuildable Shovelhead Harleys, or so I thought.

[Linked Image]

Turned out to be the worst dog BMW ever built, I sold it at a loss after 2 years and 45,000 miles. I coulda kept it for what it was but I had NO use for an unreliable motorcycle, not even a classic like the Paris/Dakar airhead.

But during my two Beemer years I did the Nationals both years, and mingled with lots of BMW's.

Truth be told there ain't hardly ANY unreliable motorcycles produced at present. BMW's are no better or worse, the reason everybody doesn't ride them is not everybody likes them. They aren't the quickest, nor the best handling, and they ARE more expensive.

Just this Monday past out at the famous motorcycle mecca at Deal's Gap in the Smokies I was talking to a BMW R1200 GS/PD owner who had rode down from Alberta.

He was admiring my old '92 Kawasaki KLR650, a bike which has quietly built a reputation for stone-axe simplicity and reliability over 23 years of continuous production.

[Linked Image]

According to him, if he were going to ride around the world, the KLR would be his choice (many have used 'em for that), Beemers having steadily moved in the direction of increasing complexity. If your fuel-injected, computerized BMW breaks in Patagonia you are probably walking home, with a carbureted thumper however, you might have a shot at fixing it.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: okok Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/02/10
My last bike I bought was a 2007 KLR 650.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/02/10
I have always wanted to try a dual sport, probably a Kawi KLR.
Some day, perhaps.
When my 750 Ninja ate the cams for the second time at 50,000 miles, I bought the KLR because it was the cheapest bike I could get that wasn't a 'beginner' bike.

Riding it home after two years on a Ninja I thought "Geeze, what have I done?".

Turns out though that a bike that has to be ridden well to go fast through the twisties is enormously entertaining. (Never mind scraping pegs, the first part to touch pavement on a dirt bike is the handlebar grin)

Plus, the very first time you hustle one of these things up a forest road at speed, slipping and sliding and rooster-tailing the whole way, you'll be hooked. I know I was.

All of that, and I just put 2,200 easy superslab miles in three days on mine heading back East. I coulda done it in less, but I lost half a day to a flat tire in Arkansas (brand new tire, pinched tube), and again another half-day getting a new chain in Ohio (didn't realize how far gone the old chain was when I set out).

Birdwatcher
C'mon, everyone knows all harley riders are leather wearin pole smokers like Rob Halford and the biker from the Village People...........right? wink
Sounds like great fun.
I didn't know you had a sport bike, Birdy.

I remember my first year of roadracing; I had a guy blitz me in a corner on a motocross bike with slicks-I was running a GSX-R750 at the time.
That was amazing, I will never forget that-it really is not the arrow, but the Indian behind it.

C'mon, everyone knows all harley riders are leather wearin pole smokers like Rob Halford and the biker from the Village People...........right?

Well... not ALL of 'em I guess....
grin Pretty sure Redneck ain't, met him, unless he just didn't have his azzless chaps with him. wink
I didn't know you had a sport bike, Birdy.

An '88 750 Ninja, bought used but mint in '90. Dog slow by present-day standards, it topped out at a mere 140 mph, and I think 0-60 in about 4 seconds grin

One cool development I have noticed in my recent return to two wheels was the rise of "Moto" bikes: Dirt-based thumpers tricked out inside and out for the street, worked-over motors, suspension, racing slicks and all. Without exception, everyone who owned 'em had started out on sportbikes and switched over for the entertainment value.

Birdwatcher

Posted By: RDFinn Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/02/10
I have to find someone with one of these.

Ducati
The biggest thing I noticed about Harley riders on this trip (I mean besides them studiously ignoring you as you pass 'em in the next lane on the interstate) was exposed skin, lots of it, even on old guys.

Never mind road rash, if ya wreck you're likely to be in a world of hurt WHATEVER you have on, what got me was them riding around in the sun all day like that.

Years back in my twelve-year long motorcycle period when bikes were my only wheels, I switched to long sleeved t-shirts when I noticed how prematurely old the skin on my arms was getting from all that sun while riding.

Ain't tough enough I guess.

Birdwatcher

Ducati

Oh yeah!
grin
my next bike
drz400sm
Posted By: akjeff Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/02/10

Ducati

Oh yeah!
grin

A co-worker let me throw a leg over his. Really fun bike! Just not enough room for my 6'3" frame. Same goes for the Monster. I basically have to slide my butt back to the passenger seat to be comfortable.

Jeff
Posted By: akjeff Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/02/10
'Nother nice thing about that new tire.. I've got almost 8700 miles on the clock and there's still 45% tread.. I'm pretty sure I won't have to change it this year, even with the Sturgis run..

The '05's tire had to be swapped for a new one at 7,000 miles..

I'm getting great tire life as well. About 6200 so far, and lots of miles left. I just keep them at 40psi rear, and 36 in the front, and they're wearing great!

Jeff
Posted By: lhonda Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/02/10
As I've said all along, whatever turns yer crank is plenty okey dokey by me. HDs are cool in my book, but these Japanese beasts, especially those from the late 70s to the late 80s... Man, they do it for me in ways HDs never will. When I watch--and hear--puppies like this barking, I can't help but grin wide and get antsy to jump on one and twist it wide open. But that's me. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovhw-E9gRfU
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/02/10
I've always wanted an HD but some of the Japanese offerings look just as nice. Maybe for my midlife crisis? grin
Speaking of extraordinary bikes, I walked into a Triumph dealership and was blown away.

Check out the Triumph Rocket, an inline, water-cooled triple, 2,200cc

[Linked Image]

And the Thunderbird... a 1,600cc vertical twin, not much bigger than a Sportster...

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
grin Pretty sure Redneck ain't, met him, unless he just didn't have his azzless chaps with him. wink
laugh laugh

Don't need chaps in the truck.. Now THAT would be gay.. Hehehehee..

Birdwatchers posts above about runnin' hard and fast show the need for a helmet:
Riding it home after two years on a Ninja I thought "Geeze, what have I done?".

Turns out though that a bike that has to be ridden well to go fast through the twisties is enormously entertaining. (Never mind scraping pegs, the first part to touch pavement on a dirt bike is the handlebar )

Plus, the very first time you hustle one of these things up a forest road at speed, slipping and sliding and rooster-tailing the whole way, you'll be hooked. I know I was.

If you're on a crotch rocket and skimming rubber off the underside of the pegs, you BEST be wearin' not only a helmet but armoured leathers, chaps and some serious boots.. If that's your thing - go for it..

I'm well past that stage.. I love to be on back roads seeing the scenery, staying within speed limits and stayin' alive..

I will admit a serious weekness for the triumph bikes.

I had a thing for the daytona 955 for a while

[Linked Image]

and the rocket III... no words needed.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FVA Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/02/10
As I've said all along, whatever turns yer crank is plenty okey dokey by me. HDs are cool in my book, but these Japanese beasts, especially those from the late 70s to the late 80s... Man, they do it for me in ways HDs never will. When I watch--and hear--puppies like this barking, I can't help but grin wide and get antsy to jump on one and twist it wide open. But that's me. wink

Love that bike.
I've always had a hankering for a Kawasaki GPZ 750 turbo. I believe it was the first stock bike to break into the 10 second quarter mile.
Ducs are awesome bikes...would love one, but care and feeding of them is not cheap...I love my Harley and the brothers I ride with, but there are ALOT of RUBs on Harleys, and alot of trailor queens.
Harley's V-Rod Destroyer was good for me...made quite a few bike payments because of Optimistic RUBs at drag strips.
I hear ya on the trailer queens bit.. Never trailered one yet and don't intend to.. There are times it makes some sense - such as going to the Daytona run while starting out in Grand Marais.. laugh laugh

Handwerk isn't happy unless temps are under 40F and a fresh foot of snow's on the ground.. Heheheee..
Lee,
This thead reminds me of something funny.
A few years back on a local radio show, they had a little contest called 'Can you make the sound of a Harley?'-The winner, a lady, got on the air and slowly and succinctly said: 'drip...drip...drip.'
She won the contest.
laugh
Was that the same babe who won the contest on replicating the Queens SB victory yell? She uttered not a sound for 30 seconds and won THAT one too.

laugh laugh
laugh
That is baaad.
laugh
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/02/10
Lee,
This thead reminds me of something funny.
A few years back on a local radio show, they had a little contest called 'Can you make the sound of a Harley?'-The winner, a lady, got on the air and slowly and succinctly said: 'drip...drip...drip.'
She won the contest.
laugh

I thought it was more like a bull moose with violent Irritable Bowel Syndrome...
I will admit a serious weekness for the triumph bikes.

Here ya go, one of the bikes that started it all, a pristine '69 Triumph, as seen at a gas station in Franklin, NC Monday afternoon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Note the gear shift on the right side

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher
who couldn't like that?
Posted By: lhonda Re: Thoughts on Harley bashing. - 07/03/10
Originally Posted by FVA

Love that bike.
I've always had a hankering for a Kawasaki GPZ 750 turbo. I believe it was the first stock bike to break into the 10 second quarter mile.

Remember the Night Rider when you look at the night sky!

Me, too. wink
© 24hourcampfire