-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That oil leaking thing is just stupid. Ride what you like in any way you like, but to base opinions on something outdated makes no sense.
I felt the same way about HDs for years and my friends kid me now about things I used to say about them.
The XJ750J Maxium I rode years ago was a fantastic bike for it's purpose- that of getting me thru freeway traffic in and around LA, white lining between cars calls for a bike capable of precise handeling- but when I hit the open road I always wished for something bigger and more comfortable
The Yamaha V-star I bought a few years ago never seemed to fit the type of open country riding I do now, so I bought my current Harley. It suits me.
If my riding need change, I may go to something entirely different.
What anybody rides or wears should be his own business and if it's reflects his tastes it's sure no business of mine.

Last edited by Tracks; 06/28/10.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by bearmgc
No helmits=freedom? Damn, another potential TBI, I'll see in the Neuro unit.
Can't fix stupid....

I *do* think not wearing a helmet is foolish,and as I posted above, I always wear one.
However, I don't like having the government telling me I have to wear one.

I understand. But I'm asking folks to please wear a helmit. 32years as a nurse, I can't erase the memories of guys and gals forever changed by a head injury. I, as an old but cognizant RN, and former biker, ask, no, plead with folks to wear a helmet, please.

Last edited by bearmgc; 06/28/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What anybody rides or wears should be his own business and if it's reflects his tastes it's sure no business of mine.

Covers it all pretty well right there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't fix stupid....

I *do* think not wearing a helmet is foolish,and as I posted above, I always wear one.

I understand. But I'm asking folks to please wear a helmit. 32years as a nurse, I can't erase the memories of guys and gals forever changed by a head injury. I, as an old but cognizant RN, and former biker, ask, no, plead with folks to wear a helmet, please.

Got ya.
wink

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't think wearing a helmet should be mandatory, which is a nice thing about Idaho(one of many).
However, I always wear a helmet-I have lost two good friends to head injuries on motorcycles, and neither one of them was going very fast when the accidents occured

Here we go.... Popcorn time... Soon there'll be the full-face helmet crowd yowling about all that 'free health care'....

I can see it comin'.. Like I can see the corn grow.. laugh laugh

Can't fix stupid....

Know what? If bikers would drive like their life depended on it, there'd BE no head injuries.. Unfortunately many do not ride with that attitude..

Ok - butter melted, salt applied - I'm ready.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Joking aside, if one accepts the possible consequences of riding without a helmet, to include the pain and suffering of relatives, and the possible financial duress they may incur, so be it. Ultimately though, it boils down to a really BIG ego, and a teennie tiny regard for others. Now that is really something to brag about....Redneck, luv ya, but yer singing a weak song.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lee,
Wasn't trying to start a ruckus.
Just sayin' that for *me* a helmet is something I won't go without.
As far as 'riding like your life depends on it', I agree, however, you can't control what the bozo in the giant SUV that is texting her friend instead of driving is going to do, no?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Joking aside, if one accepts the possible consequences of riding without a helmet, to include the pain and suffering reletives, and the possible financial duress they may incur, so be it. Ultimately though, it boils down to a really BIG ego, and a teennie tiny regard for others. Now that is really something to brag about....Redneck, luv ya, but yer singing a weak song.

and the HWY runs both ways too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BINGO! Oncoming cars can't be predicted, drivers in front can't be predicted, road conditions can't be predicted...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider
What cracks me up is the way people seem to have to dress up, like Halloween or something, when they get on one.

I flew with a guy in Chicago who always rode Japanese-made bikes; I asked him what he had against Harley Davidson and he said
"it's not just the vibration... I want a bike I can ride to the grocery, work, deli, or the girlfriend's house without getting dressed up like the Village People".... grin

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Over confidence can kill, testosterone notwithstanding....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had friends die with and without helmets. Had the Doc tell another he woulda been dead or paralyzed if he WOULD have had one on. Over all are they safer? Like seatbelts, I think the stats prove it, but we otta be free to make that choice ourself.

This is like arguing back ground checks and other such gun laws. It's fruitless.
C-ya on this one

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Methinks you are rationalizing. But, whatever...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone who wouldn't wear a helmet or a seat belt is an f'n Donkey..laws or no laws.

Last edited by okok; 06/28/10.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Harleys... my son says, when they stop leakin' oil I'll buy one.
Don't know about that. I always had a thing for Suzuki's. But I'm a girl, and I loved to ride 'em. Sweet memories till I'm pushing up daisies.

The oil leaking thing is a thing of the past. I ride with a guy who owns a Street Glide and until he started messing with it, it was reliable. After he put a "Screaming Eagle" kit on it to gain a whooping 8 or 10 horsepower he's had it in the shop about 25% of the time. The last time he split the crank shaft (apparently they are not a one piece crank) and it was out of service for two months.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okok
Anyone who wouldn't wear a helmet or a seat belt is an f'n Donkey..laws or no laws.

I agree, but everyone has the right to be a "f'n Donkey".
It's a somewhat worse critter that tries to enforce his views on somone else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by okok

I agree, but everyone has the right to be a "f'n Donkey".
It's a somewhat worse critter that tries to enforce his views on somone else.

YUP.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree that everyone should have the freedom of choice. When one is to stupid to make a right choice, well that's why we have helmet laws I guess.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Job security for me...I guess. There's usually one room available on the Neuro Traumatic Brain injury unit. FYI, the internet= aint but sumptum to do....
No intended offense, please please wear a helmet, regardless of your testosterone level or political leaning. That is my message, no messing with ya.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lee,
Wasn't trying to start a ruckus.
Just sayin' that for *me* a helmet is something I won't go without.
I know - no problem..
As far as 'riding like your life depends on it', I agree, however, you can't control what the bozo in the giant SUV that is texting her friend instead of driving is going to do, no?
Nope.. But I can control my position and my attention to that vehicle.. And I've had geezers in a Buick move into my lane on the freeway and I'm right next to 'em.. Knew they were going to do it before THEY did.. Saw the hands move on the wheel - then I watched his front tire.. I just backed off as he moved over, then rode up to his window and pointed to my mirror and yelled over "PAY ATTENTION"..

BTW, over the last couple weeks there've been six M/C fatalities in this area - and five of 'em were wearin' helmets..

I wonder if bearmgc has ever had any car accident victims in with severe head injuries (just asking - curious here)? Even with seat belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes etc., people in cars do NOT pay attention and suffer accordingly.. So (and here's where I'm leadin' to) why not have a law that mandates helmets in cars???

Seems to me a logical extension..

Before I finish - there are times I do wear a helmet.. Mainly any time I'm inside the 494-694 beltway in and around Murderapolis.. Too many idiots going 25+ over the limit who have NO idea what that little stalk indicater is on the LH side of the steering wheel.. I avoid that area on a motorcycle like I would avoid the plague... Also in any state where the law says.. But I hate any law that doesn't give me the option.. Same with seat belts.. New law here made it a primary stop.. I don't give a damn.. I'm not wearing one unless I'm in the F-350 and towin' the 30' 5er..

Ok, popcorn batch one is done.. Starting on two.. Heheheehee..

Knew I forgot something: A recent M/C accident in the cities.. The guy dumped the bike and was basically uninjured.. He left the wreck (it was on I35, IIRC) and was walking down the freeway toward an exit when he was hit and killed by an SUV.. That has to be the king of bad luck.. Hehehehe..

Last edited by Redneck; 06/28/10.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 57 invisible), 2,197 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,560
Posts18,531,582
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.