Home
Posted By: jakethesnake Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Hello, I was wondering if I could have a few peoples opinion on which marlin lever action to purchase to shoot groups at 350 to 400 yards. I am leaning towards the 1895 series or the 336 lineup. I like the stainless 336. I can't seem to find much on accuracy of any of the rifles. Any input would be much appreciated.
Posted By: MColeman Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
I hope that you will be happy with large groups. I can't imagine the Marlin lever action being suitable for serious shooting at those distances.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Ditto, Mickey.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Got to go with the two fine fellows above. Lever is a great gun in the woods but you are going to want a bolt action for long range work.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
I've rung steel pretty consistently at 750 yards with an aperture sighted 30/30 and 35 Remington. Can't talk to groups but could keep them in 20" diameter metal float at that distance.
Posted By: FVA Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
My Marlin 308ME is easily MOAish at those ranges.
Posted By: davidsapp Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Better buy an Marlin XL bolt action of some flavor if you're looking to shoot accurately at the distance that you specified.

I guess that if any Marlin lever action had a chance to shoot a decent group at that range it would be the 308 XLR.
And that is fun shooting. I loved to reach out with Contender in 45-70. I could sometimes reload before the gong rang.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
the most accurate Marlins would be the Marlin Ballard single shot, lever rifle. Any one of a number of calibers and configurations are quite suited to those distances.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Steelhead said:
I've rung steel pretty consistently at 750 yards with an aperture sighted 30/30 and 35 Remington. Can't talk to groups but could keep them in 20" diameter metal float at that distance.

That makes you the exception and not the rule Steelie. Good shooting but the average Joe won't have the talent or the reloading skills to make that happen. At least not over night. I say go with the 336 in 30-30 and shoot for 150 yards. My son has one and it is suprisingly accurate but every person and rifle has their limits. YMMV. kwg
Originally Posted by BrentD
the most accurate Marlins would be the Marlin Ballard single shot, lever rifle. Any one of a number of calibers and configurations are quite suited to those distances.

OK, you win that round. I forgot about the Ballards. Wish I had one.
There are lots of them out there. Very fine rifles indeed. A #5 Pacific in .45-70 like the one below would do exactly what you want to do. But there are many others. Folks always seem to bypass the single shots and notably, the Ballard double set triggers are among the 1/2 dozen best triggers ever made.

This is mine. It will probably be antelope hunting with me this year along with an 1885 Winchester Singleshot

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
never seen so many people bite so hard on an obvious joke post
Only a joke post to people that can't/ain't done it.
What a beauty. I am drooling all over the keyboard. What is one like that worth if I am ask?
Originally Posted by BrentD
Only a joke post to people that can't/ain't done it.

I'm talking about the original question...here, I'll do one.

"I am thanking about taking my .30-30 out to Wyoming where I have been invited on a elk hunt. They say the ranges will be long.....how high do I need to set my peep sight for elk at 500 yards. I use 150 grain bullets"

signed:

PaDeerbuster

cast out, reel in....I mean, do you really think ol' Jake has a "350 to 400" yard range that he wants to shoot groups with his Marlin lever action, and just joined our little forum to ask that question?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Maybe that's what you need to bring to Weirgate next time...
Probably but is sure got a pretty Ballard picture posted.
Posted By: FVA Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Nah, your right(grin) The Marlin part was the bait that made me not even look at the poster.
that was mean
Originally Posted by Scott F
What a beauty. I am drooling all over the keyboard. What is one like that worth if I am ask?

About $3k give or take a bit. That was on an elk hunt in Wyoming in 2009. Never did pull the trigger. I for sure want to kill a moose with it, if only I can find a place to hunt affordably.

Brent
375' ish yards, can't recall if this was 30/30 or 45/70 but thinking 30/30 as the lead smears don't seem big enough for 45/70

[Linked Image]
where'd you find the brachiosaurus silhouettes?
Plasma cutter

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bender Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Pretty funny. I have a Savage 99EG .308 that will out shoot a lot of bolt rifles. Most hunting rigs, I would think. Levers can shoot well at long ranges.
My favorite Ballard. It is not mine but I covet it mightily.

Sorry I do not have a full length shot of it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
It's nice to see that there are at least a few here that think a Marlin lever gun has slightly more capabilities than a Red Ryder.
It has been my experience that the majority of folks that put them down the most are also the folks that have never even remotely explored those capabilities. Maybe they just found out after one range session that they just plain sucked at it.
dudes....I'm not knocking your Marlins and Ballards, but unless your bullshit detectors have been disabled the first post should have an "AAAOOOOGAH" going off....but carry on
dudes....I'm not knocking your Marlins and Ballards, but unless your bullshit detectors have been disabled the first post should have an "AAAOOOOGAH" going off....but carry on
Posted By: Teal Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
They guy didn't ask about ringing steel but "shooting groups".

Considering that most people think shooting groups denotes little ones.....
Sweet Jesus
Sweet Jesus

Don't tell me, you got religion all of a sudden...
I couldn't make it through a week without Jesus Christ.
Prayers sent.
I have so many computer passwords that I eventually forget 1 or 3 in a week. I then get into those damn silly challenge questions and I can't remember if I put down Spike or Fluffy as my First Pet or Ms. Garner or Ms. Knoll as my Favorite Teacher.

Now the answer I enter ahead of time for EVERY challenge question is JESUS CHRIST. Because by the time I get to them that is what I'm saying.
Posted By: Plinker Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
30-30 Leverevolution +P+ should group in a arshin out to at least a versta from a sazhen length barrel.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
I've played with a 336 enough to know that they'll do more than spray an area.

I like the Speer 130 grain flatnose over 38 grains of BLC2 in mine,..for a bit past 2600 fps. It'll make a 30-30 336 a poor man's .243.
I have so many computer passwords that I eventually forget 1 or 3 in a week. I then get into those damn silly challenge questions and I can't remember if I put down Spike or Fluffy as my First Pet or Ms. Garner or Ms. Knoll as my Favorite Teacher.

If you'd had Miss Allen there wouldn't be any doubt...
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
where'd you find the brachiosaurus silhouettes?

Wish I had one but that's some funny chit anyway..... laugh
Posted By: T LEE Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Marlin 1895 Cowboy in .45 Colt loaded with BP & lead bullets.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Originally Posted by MColeman
I hope that you will be happy with large groups. I can't imagine the Marlin lever action being suitable for serious shooting at those distances.

Marlin lever guns do fine at extended ranges. My 16 inch barrel 336Y, with my hand loads, holds darn near MOA at two hundred yards.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Marlin lever guns do fine at extended ranges. My 16 inch barrel 336Y, with my hand loads, holds darn near MOA at two hundred yards.
The average Marlin in the average shooter's hands would be the group Mick's talking about here, Manlicher. Most folks would have a challenge making them group at 200 yards. I worked at a range for several years and saw very few shooters with Marlins or Winchesters that could shoot effective groups at the 200 yard line.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
and by the same token, MOST folks at the range, with a new Cooper or (insert your favorite maker's bolt action offering here), would have a damn difficult time holding two MOA with that bolt rifle either.

I have seen folks with expensive, top tier rifles that just could not shoot.

I'm sticking with my Marlin.
One of the guns I most regret letting slip from my hands was an old well worn Marlin 336 chambered for .35 Rem. If memory serves me right it had an old Redfield 4X on it. The gun was just scary accurate. 1 inch groups at 100 yards were no problem for that gun. On two different occasions, I put 3 shots on the bullseye that you could cover easily with a quarter.
and by the same token, MOST folks at the range, with a new Cooper or (insert your favorite maker's bolt action offering here), would have a damn difficult time holding two MOA with that bolt rifle either.

I have seen folks with expensive, top tier rifles that just could not shoot.

I'm sticking with my Marlin.
Good point Mannlicher-I've seen the same thing. Some folks are great shooters, but most of the rest of us don't fall into that category. I firmly believe that like other activities, you only get out of it what you put into it. There's just no substitute for time at the range, and working up good loads.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Yeah but it drops about 4 ft at 150yds. Under a 100yd great brush gun.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
I was just wondering how much holdover I would need at 400 yards for a 22LR sighted to zero at 25 yards using standard velocity ammo, and then using hyper velocity ammo at 400 yards when I go on my 2011 buffalo hunt. Should I use regular or hollow points for better penetration?
About 45 degree hold over. LOL
That ain't shooting, it's lobbing!
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
I've never tried to shoot any lever at long range, but most of my leverguns will shoot well under 2MOA at 100 yards. Some right at 1 MOA. I see no reason they would not group close to the same at longer ranges.

The problem of course would be dealing with the extreme drop. But that would be the same even if the 30-30 were fired from a bolt action.
Posted By: DuxHateMe Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Hey 378.....check the ballistics on Leverevolution .35 Rem.......I love my 336C......but I can't imagine why anyone would consider it a long-range rifle, or even put a scope on it........open sights 100 yds. and under is how I use this gun.

And here are the Hornady trajectory figures for those loads, based on a rifle with a scope mounted 1.7" overbore and zeroed to shoot 3" high at 100 yards:

* .30-30, 160 grain - +3" @ 100 yds, +0.2" @ 200 yds, -12.1" @ 300 yds.
* .35 Rem, 200 grain - +3" @ 100 yds, -1.3" @ 200 yds, -17.5" @ 300 yds.
* .444 Mar, 265 grain - +3" @ 100 yds, -1.4" @ 200 yds, -18.6" @ 300 yds.
* .45-70, 325 grain - +3" @ 100 yds, -4.1" @ 200 yds, -27.8" @ 300 yds.
* .450 Mar, 325 grain - +3" @ 100 yds, -2.2" @ 200 yds, -21.3" @ 300 yds.

Originally Posted by the_shootist
I was just wondering how much holdover I would need at 400 yards for a 22LR sighted to zero at 25 yards using standard velocity ammo, and then using hyper velocity ammo at 400 yards when I go on my 2011 buffalo hunt. Should I use regular or hollow points for better penetration?

328.7" if you are using Eley Tenex EPS smile

Can't help with the hypervelocity junk.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10

Now the answer I enter ahead of time for EVERY challenge question is JESUS CHRIST. Because by the time I get to them that is what I'm saying.

Coffee all over my keyboard, Scott.
I love Monday mornings.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Originally Posted by DuxHateMe
Hey 378.....check the ballistics on Leverevolution .35 Rem.......I love my 336C......but I can't imagine why anyone would consider it a long-range rifle, or even put a scope on it........open sights 100 yds. and under is how I use this gun.

And here are the Hornady trajectory figures for those loads, based on a rifle with a scope mounted 1.7" overbore and zeroed to shoot 3" high at 100 yards:

Using mental math , I get a 36 inch drop for the 30 30 at 400 yds which is about the drop at 500 yds for a flat shooting bolt action cartridge IIRC .

Looking at it that way , you would be giving up a hundred yards in range with the lever action .

With my handloads in my old Marlin 45 70 , a critter ain't safe at 200 yards and I don't want you shootin' at me with it at 300 yds . grin
Correct but the longer barrel yields higher velocities, so carry further than a 16 inch barrel. Same goes for the 357 a pistol bullet but in a lever can go 100yds and pretty damn accurate too.
Originally Posted by DuxHateMe

Better performance than I figured. My 30-30 336Marlin would be dead nuts at 100 yds but when shooting the same hunk of plywood 4X4 ft and aiming dead center it would hit the ground at the base of the plywood at 150yds. I guess it depends on your ammo and length of barrel also to throw in the mix.
Posted By: slopshot Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
The BPR guys can shoot some decent groups way out there, with bigger and slower bullets. Don't see why smokeless, and smaller slugs can not do it. Some of those BPR guns are levers, and some of the owners of them, know their gun and load very well.

Billy did pretty well at Adobe Walls when being challenged by around a 100 ft. bullet drop, and shooting for a group, grin.
http://www.levergun.com/articles/bdixon.htm
Posted By: BullShooter Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
Originally Posted by Plinker
30-30 Leverevolution +P+ should group in a arshin out to at least a versta from a sazhen length barrel.

A 28-inch group at 1167 yards isn't bad, but an 84-inch barrel on a Marlin 336 is something out of a wet dream.

--Bob
Posted By: jakethesnake Re: Marlin lever action - 08/16/10
I like how all you guys think that my post is a joke. I am simply asking because I don't intend on spending 1800 on another Tika or 1200 on another Remington bolt action that is boring to shoot. I have never owned a lever action. I am trying to find out if it will shoot decent, AND still be fun to shoot. Ok, how about more like 250-300 yards, is that possible? I am not a big rifle guy. I own many various and expensive (NOT bragging) handguns. That' s my thing. Not rifles as much. I guess I would like to use this rifle for whitetail hunting and range shooting. If I could get 250 yards out of the rifle, fine. But I shoot pretty good at 300 yards, so I will know what the rifle is capable of after one range test. Just can't find any info on accuracy for these rifles.
Seriously they are very accurate withing the 30-30's envelope 250 is stretching but doable, the cartridge is designed for the 50 to 150 range on thin skinned lite game. It is NOT a bench cartridge nor is the lever action a bench rifle. It is a proven brush popper short range woods gun for whitetail and similar game.
They are what you make them. Generally, what you are talking about as a lever rifle (NOT a Marlin Ballard) is going to be okay for deer sized targets at 200, maybe 250 or so, is doable. But you need to shoot well to minimize all the error you can. A Marlin "Cowboy" (is that a 94?) in .38-55 would be as good a choice as any and better than most.

Of course, you could sell the Tikka and the Remington and get a really really sweet Marlin Ballard and shoot everything with it. smile

That is the route I would go.
Posted By: MColeman Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10

There is a huge difference between ringing steel fairly consistently and group shooting. I realize that the OP may have meant something entirely different than what his words conveyed to me but all I have to go on is his written word. When a person shoots groups in earnest all shots count and should be counted. Shooting steel plates/gongs is a lot of fun but it's another world than group shooting.
Posted By: MColeman Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10

He mentioned 350 to 400 yards. I'll put money up all day long against him shooting MOA at those yardages with a Marlin.

Not down playing anyone's ability to shoot and have fun with a lever action but it ain't a group shooting rifle if you're wanting to shoot small groups. I guess that 'small' is a relative term as I learned in the locker room at football practice, though. smile
Posted By: bobbyjack Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10
With a little elevation a Marlin in .375 Win might get there!

Bob
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10
I usually hold on a tree 30-40' higher than the target, offset 20-30' depending on the wind at 900 arshins,....witth this rare beaut.

VERY RARE (expensive, too)

[Linked Image]

GTC
Posted By: T LEE Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10
Now there is a rifle with CHARACTER!
Not that old,....spent five years in a CHEAP phony "Fleece" lined gun case, in a leaky old camper,....next to a Sulpuric Acid plant up in the Morenci Phellps Dodge Mine.

Initial case removal was accompished with a small axe, I than sandblasted ( not bead,....SAND) it.

Internally it's like new,....including the bore.

.44 Mag,.....ahin't the truck seat like. It's been damp this month, I better go check it for r.......

right.

GTC

Posted By: T LEE Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10
WOW. Note to self, stay away from mines, Sulfuric acid & leaky campers. Already won't use them "fleece" lined gun cases!
Do you think if I rubbed it with some #0000 steel wool and oil it might improve those little rust spots ?

Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10
would you like to borrow my 4 inch Makita. It is a welder's best friend, perhaps a gunsmith's as well.
Some of those "Spots" on the receiver are an honest .125" deep,......and there's one up by the rear sight that's SPOOKY, but holding,......and hasn't started bulging yet,....though I know it will.

When I get the Tractor shop commissioned, I'll be back in the bead blasting game,.....and I think I'll just do some "Bodywork" with epoxy putty and some stove / BBQ paint.

Guns like this DO have their place, $40.00 and a 6 pack of Bud will work,.....for a wildly extravagant investor in collectible arms such as I.

GTC
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10
That would be a challenge but with some liquid steel epoxy and a lot of hand work -possible.
Posted By: Ga.Windbreak Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10
Originally Posted by jakethesnake
I like how all you guys think that my post is a joke. I am simply asking because I don't intend on spending 1800 on another Tika or 1200 on another Remington bolt action that is boring to shoot. I have never owned a lever action. I am trying to find out if it will shoot decent, AND still be fun to shoot. Ok, how about more like 250-300 yards, is that possible? I am not a big rifle guy. I own many various and expensive (NOT bragging) handguns. That' s my thing. Not rifles as much. I guess I would like to use this rifle for whitetail hunting and range shooting. If I could get 250 yards out of the rifle, fine. But I shoot pretty good at 300 yards, so I will know what the rifle is capable of after one range test. Just can't find any info on accuracy for these rifles.

If you want long range accuracy I would suggest the 338MX or 308mx but I would also add you just might want to do it quickly as the last New Haven went out the door a few days ago what with everything being moved to NY by Remington. My guess is that QC just might slip for some time in the near future.

BTW there is a guy "Big Med" on MarlinOwners that shoots his 338 at 1000 yards for fun and games, he's ex Military, and his longest kill shot with his 338MX was just under 400 yards. Don't sell the Marlin short as there are those of us who just might put a bolt shooter to shame.

I wish you luck and good hunting, btw welcome to the Marlin family you won't regret it.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10
Originally Posted by Ga.Windbreak

If you want long range accuracy I would suggest the 338MX or 308mx but I would also add you just might want to do it quickly as the last New Haven went out the door a few days ago what with everything being moved to NY by Remington. My guess is that QC just might slip for some time in the near future.

BTW there is a guy "Big Med" on MarlinOwners that shoots his 338 at 1000 yards for fun and games, he's ex Military, and his longest kill shot with his 338MX was just under 400 yards. Don't sell the Marlin short as there are those of us who just might put a bolt shooter to shame.

I wish you luck and good hunting, btw welcome to the Marlin family you won't regret it.
That is until you discover what a REAL lever gun feels like-of course I'm talking about the Savage Model 99. All others are just, well, "guns".
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Marlin lever action - 08/17/10

There is a huge difference between ringing steel fairly consistently and group shooting. I realize that the OP may have meant something entirely different than what his words conveyed to me but all I have to go on is his written word. When a person shoots groups in earnest all shots count and should be counted. Shooting steel plates/gongs is a lot of fun but it's another world than group shooting.

No [bleep] Mickey? Course you did see I typed 750 yards, not at the yardage he asked. I also threw up a picture of 'ringing' steel at close to 400 yards, and you can shoot groups into steel.

[Linked Image]

I'm guessing you ain't run a lever at 400 or 750 yards but thanks for playing.
Posted By: Ga.Windbreak Re: Marlin lever action - 08/18/10
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Ga.Windbreak

That is until you discover what a REAL lever gun feels like-of course I'm talking about the Savage Model 99. All others are just, well, "guns".

I like them too as long as we are talking ONLY about the pre Box Mag guns, those I hate!
Posted By: Paladin Re: Marlin lever action - 08/18/10
First shots from a new 1895 Marlin 45-70.

60 yard off hand three shot group. 350 gr. Hornady with a case full of black powder.

Shot from a bench with a scope the groups might be smaller.

Gallon milk jugs at 200 yards aren't much of a problem and could probably be done every time off the bench.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire