Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They are what you make them. Generally, what you are talking about as a lever rifle (NOT a Marlin Ballard) is going to be okay for deer sized targets at 200, maybe 250 or so, is doable. But you need to shoot well to minimize all the error you can. A Marlin "Cowboy" (is that a 94?) in .38-55 would be as good a choice as any and better than most.

Of course, you could sell the Tikka and the Remington and get a really really sweet Marlin Ballard and shoot everything with it. smile

That is the route I would go.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've rung steel pretty consistently at 750 yards with an aperture sighted 30/30 and 35 Remington. Can't talk to groups but could keep them in 20" diameter metal float at that distance.

There is a huge difference between ringing steel fairly consistently and group shooting. I realize that the OP may have meant something entirely different than what his words conveyed to me but all I have to go on is his written word. When a person shoots groups in earnest all shots count and should be counted. Shooting steel plates/gongs is a lot of fun but it's another world than group shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by MColeman
I hope that you will be happy with large groups. I can't imagine the Marlin lever action being suitable for serious shooting at those distances.

Marlin lever guns do fine at extended ranges. My 16 inch barrel 336Y, with my hand loads, holds darn near MOA at two hundred yards.

He mentioned 350 to 400 yards. I'll put money up all day long against him shooting MOA at those yardages with a Marlin.

Not down playing anyone's ability to shoot and have fun with a lever action but it ain't a group shooting rifle if you're wanting to shoot small groups. I guess that 'small' is a relative term as I learned in the locker room at football practice, though. smile

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
With a little elevation a Marlin in .375 Win might get there!

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I usually hold on a tree 30-40' higher than the target, offset 20-30' depending on the wind at 900 arshins,....witth this rare beaut.

VERY RARE (expensive, too)

[Linked Image]

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now there is a rifle with CHARACTER!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not that old,....spent five years in a CHEAP phony "Fleece" lined gun case, in a leaky old camper,....next to a Sulpuric Acid plant up in the Morenci Phellps Dodge Mine.

Initial case removal was accompished with a small axe, I than sandblasted ( not bead,....SAND) it.

Internally it's like new,....including the bore.

.44 Mag,.....ahin't the truck seat like. It's been damp this month, I better go check it for r.......

right.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WOW. Note to self, stay away from mines, Sulfuric acid & leaky campers. Already won't use them "fleece" lined gun cases!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you think if I rubbed it with some #0000 steel wool and oil it might improve those little rust spots ?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
would you like to borrow my 4 inch Makita. It is a welder's best friend, perhaps a gunsmith's as well.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of those "Spots" on the receiver are an honest .125" deep,......and there's one up by the rear sight that's SPOOKY, but holding,......and hasn't started bulging yet,....though I know it will.

When I get the Tractor shop commissioned, I'll be back in the bead blasting game,.....and I think I'll just do some "Bodywork" with epoxy putty and some stove / BBQ paint.

Guns like this DO have their place, $40.00 and a 6 pack of Bud will work,.....for a wildly extravagant investor in collectible arms such as I.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That would be a challenge but with some liquid steel epoxy and a lot of hand work -possible.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jakethesnake
I like how all you guys think that my post is a joke. I am simply asking because I don't intend on spending 1800 on another Tika or 1200 on another Remington bolt action that is boring to shoot. I have never owned a lever action. I am trying to find out if it will shoot decent, AND still be fun to shoot. Ok, how about more like 250-300 yards, is that possible? I am not a big rifle guy. I own many various and expensive (NOT bragging) handguns. That' s my thing. Not rifles as much. I guess I would like to use this rifle for whitetail hunting and range shooting. If I could get 250 yards out of the rifle, fine. But I shoot pretty good at 300 yards, so I will know what the rifle is capable of after one range test. Just can't find any info on accuracy for these rifles.

If you want long range accuracy I would suggest the 338MX or 308mx but I would also add you just might want to do it quickly as the last New Haven went out the door a few days ago what with everything being moved to NY by Remington. My guess is that QC just might slip for some time in the near future.

BTW there is a guy "Big Med" on MarlinOwners that shoots his 338 at 1000 yards for fun and games, he's ex Military, and his longest kill shot with his 338MX was just under 400 yards. Don't sell the Marlin short as there are those of us who just might put a bolt shooter to shame.

I wish you luck and good hunting, btw welcome to the Marlin family you won't regret it.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ga.Windbreak
I like how all you guys think that my post is a joke. I am simply asking because I don't intend on spending 1800 on another Tika or 1200 on another Remington bolt action that is boring to shoot. I have never owned a lever action. I am trying to find out if it will shoot decent, AND still be fun to shoot. Ok, how about more like 250-300 yards, is that possible? I am not a big rifle guy. I own many various and expensive (NOT bragging) handguns. That' s my thing. Not rifles as much. I guess I would like to use this rifle for whitetail hunting and range shooting. If I could get 250 yards out of the rifle, fine. But I shoot pretty good at 300 yards, so I will know what the rifle is capable of after one range test. Just can't find any info on accuracy for these rifles.

If you want long range accuracy I would suggest the 338MX or 308mx but I would also add you just might want to do it quickly as the last New Haven went out the door a few days ago what with everything being moved to NY by Remington. My guess is that QC just might slip for some time in the near future.

BTW there is a guy "Big Med" on MarlinOwners that shoots his 338 at 1000 yards for fun and games, he's ex Military, and his longest kill shot with his 338MX was just under 400 yards. Don't sell the Marlin short as there are those of us who just might put a bolt shooter to shame.

I wish you luck and good hunting, btw welcome to the Marlin family you won't regret it.
That is until you discover what a REAL lever gun feels like-of course I'm talking about the Savage Model 99. All others are just, well, "guns".

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've rung steel pretty consistently at 750 yards with an aperture sighted 30/30 and 35 Remington. Can't talk to groups but could keep them in 20" diameter metal float at that distance.

There is a huge difference between ringing steel fairly consistently and group shooting. I realize that the OP may have meant something entirely different than what his words conveyed to me but all I have to go on is his written word. When a person shoots groups in earnest all shots count and should be counted. Shooting steel plates/gongs is a lot of fun but it's another world than group shooting.

No [bleep] Mickey? Course you did see I typed 750 yards, not at the yardage he asked. I also threw up a picture of 'ringing' steel at close to 400 yards, and you can shoot groups into steel.

[Linked Image]

I'm guessing you ain't run a lever at 400 or 750 yards but thanks for playing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Ga.Windbreak

That is until you discover what a REAL lever gun feels like-of course I'm talking about the Savage Model 99. All others are just, well, "guns".

I like them too as long as we are talking ONLY about the pre Box Mag guns, those I hate!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First shots from a new 1895 Marlin 45-70.

60 yard off hand three shot group. 350 gr. Hornady with a case full of black powder.

Shot from a bench with a scope the groups might be smaller.

Gallon milk jugs at 200 yards aren't much of a problem and could probably be done every time off the bench.

[Linked Image]

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,527
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.