Home
Posted By: Spanokopitas .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/06/10

I just finished reading "Testing and Evaluating Rimfire Suppressors" by, Dane Hobbs in the Oct-Nov issue of Varmint Hunter Magazine page 18.

A very interesting article but nowhere did I find mention of the legality of such devices. I have always thought them to be illegal unless you paid a large fee and had some high level FFL.

Posted By: ColdBore Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/06/10
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
I have always thought them to be illegal unless you paid a large fee and had some high level FFL.

$200 tax stamp from the ATF and a background check.

Not sure of individual states, but that's the general story.
Depends on where you live.

BATF says all you need is a Form 4 signed by chief local LE representative that you're not a bad guy and $200.00 for the tax-stamp. That in hand, you go buy your suppressor.

Ed
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/06/10
Well, Federally you would be clear,but different states allow and others do not. Check state penal laws first.
Or you can use a long barrel and standard velocity ammo and do about as well.
I believe at the state level Calif has banned private ownership, but it's state by state. No problem in Oregon.
So basically pay the ATF protection money. $200 each or for as many as you can use? $200 seems steep for having the locals do any legwork necessary and then just giving the thumbs-up.
Originally Posted by acesandeights
I believe at the state level Calif has banned private ownership, but it's state by state. No problem in Oregon.

Same with Idaho.

Woorsheengtun on the other hand, beggars the hell outta me. In WA I believe it is legal to own a suppressor, but don't one dare actually put the device on your gun and fire a round through it! (don't "use" it IOW)

crazy
Posted By: lithian Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/06/10
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
So basically pay the ATF protection money. $200 each or for as many as you can use? $200 seems steep for having the locals do any legwork necessary and then just giving the thumbs-up.

The fee is for each device, if I understand it correctly.

That "$200" is in 1934 dollars!

When the Federal Firearms Act of 1934 was enacted, the judge hearing the case picked that figure thinking that "that cost" (in dollars worth a helluva LOT MORE back then, not today) would be prohibitive for 95%-plus of anyone entertaining the thought of owning such a device. True story.
Originally Posted by lithian

The fee is for each device, if I understand it correctly.

That is correct. That fee has been the same since 1934 IIRC. It was intended to be inhibitory but inflation has made it much less so. Lots of people own lots of suppressors. They are the ultimate "muzzle break" for a long range bolt gun. Ownership of them is encouraged in some Euro countries, like Scandinavia, to keep down noise at the range.
Posted By: Dutch Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/06/10
Also check Game laws. Suppressors may be legal for target shooting, but rarely legal for hunting. Varmint control is yet another story. FWIW, Dutch.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/06/10
They Do make late summer deer hunting much quieter!
Legal to own here just not legal to shoot inside washington state grin 200.00 tax stamp and all of mine are on a living trust so my family named members are also legal.This one can be used on any 22 cal with the proper flash hider

[Linked Image]
That sounds pretty cool.
Definitely go the Trust route don't get the LEO sig and fingerprints pay the $200 and wait!

Legal in GA not for hunting, Yet!

Look up Advance Armament corproation CANU for a lot of wisdom.

There is no comparison of a std velocity round in a rifle and a suppressor. On a .22 they are quieter then most pellet guns.

Mike
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Or you can use a long barrel and standard velocity ammo and do about as well.

SHHHHhhhhh,

GTC
www.aaccanu.com

Mike
Posted By: Pete E Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/06/10
Where do you guys stand with barrels that have an integral moderator built into them???
Same as a suppressor, must serial # the entire apparatus and pay the $200.
Tactical Solutions makes a lot of Ruger Mark II and III uppers and 10/22 barrels with integral suppression.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/06/10
They are illegal in California.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/07/10
They're not only legal here; they're FUN!!!

Here's my son shooting a SWR Spectre.....(listen to the birds in the background as a frame of reference).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott F Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/07/10
Originally Posted by Dutch
Also check Game laws. Suppressors may be legal for target shooting, but rarely legal for hunting. Varmint control is yet another story. FWIW, Dutch.

In Oregon they are legal for all firearm hunting, I have been told they are not legal to own in Washington but I have no proof.

Not legal to own in California the last I looked.
Yeah. Same in Oklahoma. $200.00 tax stamp and a background check. No big deal.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/07/10
Originally Posted by ConradCA
They are illegal in California.

only if caught!
Posted By: Foxbat Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/07/10
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Definitely go the Trust route don't get the LEO sig and fingerprints pay the $200 and wait!

Mike

Just curious, as I have been thinking about getting one, but why did you say "don't get the LEO sig"?
Posted By: T LEE Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/07/10
Cool video thank for putting it up.
Originally Posted by Foxbat

Mike

Just curious, as I have been thinking about getting one, but why did you say "don't get the LEO sig"?

It is far better to do a Revocable Living Trust and with that you don't do photo or fingerprints, you are still scrutinized by the feds and deemed eligible or not, but then when it is time to will the suppressor to a family member etc it is much easier and a smoother operation.

One guy on another forum is the county sheriff and can sign his own forms uses a trust as well it is just better.

Mike
Posted By: Foxbat Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/08/10
Originally Posted by Foxbat

Mike

It is far better to do a Revocable Living Trust and with that you don't do photo or fingerprints, you are still scrutinized by the feds and deemed eligible or not, but then when it is time to will the suppressor to a family member etc it is much easier and a smoother operation.

One guy on another forum is the county sheriff and can sign his own forms uses a trust as well it is just better.

Mike

Thanks, makes sense.

What is the first step to applying? Set up trust, then BATF form, then local Sheriff?
Trust, pay for the item, send copy of Trust and $200 to ATF, then wait for them to put the stamp on the form 4 and send it back to dealer, then go fill out the yellow paper like when you buy a gun and they will give it to you!grin

That's the fun part!

check out www.silencertalk.com

Mike
Posted By: bbassi Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/08/10
Is that $200 per year or 1 time?
Posted By: Boise Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/08/10
$200 at the time of purchase, no other additional costs - no yearly tax.

It is very pleasant to sit in camp and target shoot with no need for hearing protection.

The process in Idaho was remarkably simple and fast, much faster than I had expected although I don't recall the actual time line.
Posted By: tbear Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/08/10
Perfectly legal across the pond. In Scotland one of my friends has a 22 Savage HP with a silencer that is a dandy Roe Deer & hare exterminator. There are literally rabbits (hare) by the hundreds in every field.
Spanokopitas,

If you really, really want to own a suppressor in CA, you might be able to jump through the hoops to become an FFL with the proper NFA licensing.

Unless you are seriously connected, it's unlikely you'd ever be able to own full-auto ( and possibly SBR as well ) in CA, but once you're approved by the Feds, suppressors are a gimme. Note that since you'd be an FFL holder, no $200 tax stamp.

Caveat: the above is based on info from '94-97 timeframe. State and or Federal laws may have changed since then.

If memory serves, the loophole a friend used was the Class II manufacturers license.

Regards,
Scott

P.S. Expect major scrutiny by the BATFE should you go this route.
Posted By: Foxbat Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/08/10
Trust, pay for the item, send copy of Trust and $200 to ATF, then wait for them to put the stamp on the form 4 and send it back to dealer, then go fill out the yellow paper like when you buy a gun and they will give it to you!grin

That's the fun part!

check out www.silencertalk.com

Mike

Thanks. So you skip the entire LEO part with the trust?
Yes Sir!

Mike
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Spanokopitas,

If you really, really want to own a suppressor in CA, you might be able to jump through the hoops to become an FFL with the proper NFA licensing.

Unless you are seriously connected, it's unlikely you'd ever be able to own full-auto ( and possibly SBR as well ) in CA, but once you're approved by the Feds, suppressors are a gimme. Note that since you'd be an FFL holder, no $200 tax stamp.

Caveat: the above is based on info from '94-97 timeframe. State and or Federal laws may have changed since then.

If memory serves, the loophole a friend used was the Class II manufacturers license.

Regards,
Scott

P.S. Expect major scrutiny by the BATFE should you go this route.

Scott---Thanks for the info. Some of my friends have FFL's but, to me, it is not worth the harassment. I can get along very well without a legal suppressor.---Spano.
Posted By: emmagee Re: .22LR suppressors, legal? - 10/09/10
As others have pointed out, they are legal, depending on your state laws. Actually, I believe they are technically in CA, however, you first need to get a permit from the CA DOJ, who will not issue a permit unless you have the right connections, so for all intents and purposes they are illegal in CA. I wouldn't swear that is correct, but I'm 98% sure that is correct.
Okla. is ok w/ them, I have a little 10/22 Ruger I think AWP did the work, cant remember, its buried in the safe.
Sure is fun, all You can hear is the action slappin the buffer.
Gunner
Filmed my buddy shooting my P-22 with his SWR Spectre using std velocity ammo.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire