Home
Any of you guys in danger...? Hope not, hope all are safe. It's west of Alabama University at the moment.

[b][color:#3333FF]Live news feed.[/color][/b]
Here's another feed on CBS

[b][color:#3333FF]Live Feed #2[/color][/b]
Supposedly passed just south of the stadium..!
Pretty bad stuff, I live south and east of where the storms are rolling through right now. Not good, lots of damage and probably deaths. Tornado listed as F5 strength, almost a mile wide at one point.
It's all headed our way in SC. Lots of wobbly boxes round these parts. God be with them for sure.
Does Alabama have any TV stations that send up a chopper to document the storms..? If so,..what channel and town.

Here in OK, whenever one touches the ground there's atleast 2 choppers from OKC or Tulsa on it.

Just curious.
Not that I know of, we have plenty of tv stations with the normal storm chasers operating out of large vans.
Storms everywhere....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Pretty bad stuff, I live south and east of where the storms are rolling through right now. Not good, lots of damage and probably deaths. Tornado listed as F5 strength, almost a mile wide at one point.

I'm in Calera, and there's a cell coming up through Bibb and Perry too, right this way.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Storms everywhere....

[Linked Image]

That one in the dead center of the screen is being confirmed as an EF5. That's 25 miles north.

The one SW of it is coming right my way!
just spoke to my Brother in Law, who lives just off 280, South of B'ham.
He says it is north of him, but really nasty.

Prayers for all our friends and family in that area.

Jim, they ,live off Cahaba Valley Road, I think that is 119, so north of you.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
just spoke to my Brother in Law, who lives just off 280, South of B'ham.
He says it is north of him, but really nasty.

Prayers for all our friends and family in that area.

Jim, they ,live off Cahaba Valley Road, I think that is 119, so north of you.

Yeah, he's north of me. They got live feed of this one in Bham now, but there's still cells coming this way...not as big as the one in Bham though.

DAMN! They are showing the Tornado itself...friggin' HUGE!
Prayers to you folks down there. You are getting hammered. We still are getting snow showers.
Y'all keep your heads down.
Posted By: shootem Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/27/11
Picture of the tornado from my son's appartment about 1/4 mile from Bryant-Denny Stadium. Daughter was in her dorm room in the same area. Part of Univ of Al campus was hit along with a local mall. Power out but was able to communicate with them by text. Storm went straight for my hometown area of Hueytown. Saw the results of an F5 west of there in 1998 or so that missed my house by just a few miles. Had relatives that lost it all. Really dread seeing the results there from this one. Still have a lot of family and friends in that area. Pray hard.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: .280Rem Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/27/11
Originally Posted by shootem
Picture of the tornado from my son's appartment about 1/4 mile from Bryant-Denny Stadium. Daughter was in her dorm room in the same area. Part of Univ of Al campus was hit along with a local mall. Power out but was able to communicate with them by text. Storm went straight for my hometown area of Hueytown. Saw the results of an F5 west of there in 1998 or so that missed my house by just a few miles. Had relatives that lost it all. Really dread seeing the results there from this one. Still have a lot of family and friends in that area. Pray hard.

[Linked Image]

That's the same one that went thru Bham...has been on the ground for 50 miles plus.
Prayers for all.
That's it. He's about 2 blocks off the Strip to the north side. The view is to the south which would have put it barely south and west of the stadium. Has to be tremendous residential damage.
Starting to get some video feeds from N of Bham. Damage is HUGE. Reports of fatalities.
Posted By: byc Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/27/11
They just issued warnings for South Carolina.

Stay safe down that way Jim.

David
Gotta sign off...got a confirmed tornado on the ground with a projected path within a mile north or me. Skies VERY ominous!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/27/11
Duck and cover - praying for all of you down that way.
Area of Ridgecrest dorms just off 15th street in Tuscaloosa. Barely missed my daughter's building. Answer to prayer.

[Linked Image]
It's getting dark here , hope it will bypass us, God be with anybody in the path.
BYC you in G'ville or VA.?

Posted By: BCBrian Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Area of Ridgecrest dorms just off 15th street in Tuscaloosa. Barely missed my daughter's building. Answer to prayer.

[Linked Image]

But the other people's prayers (the ones who got hit) - I guess not so much.
Posted By: shootem Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Those who believe please pray. The U of A campus area is hit badly according to those we have been in contact with. An area of the town that is mostly student rentals is apparently heavily damaged. The picture above reflects that. There is one confirmed death on campus and people are missing, including friends of my kids. Please pray.
Brian, I think God will agree with me on this one. Your an a-s-shole. Crawl back in your den.
Brian, I think God will agree with me on this one. Your an a-s-shole. Crawl back in your den.

Apparently he is a high school teacher - I wonder how the kids turn out after he is done with them. What a piece of work!
Shootem , I am sending prayers now , with one in Grad school in SC, I feel your concern, I hope all will be in God's hands in AL and anywhere this storm is headed, I will think about you and yours. I hope my fellow workers riding the rail and anyone in the path of this storm will be safe tonight.
rrconductor
Dear God Almighty...
Posted By: Gobble Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Brian that was totally uncalled for. You should go away, back to your parents basement.
Posted By: byc Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Originally Posted by rrconductor
It's getting dark here , hope it will bypass us, God be with anybody in the path.
BYC you in G'ville or VA.?

Hey Cld. Hope all is well. I'm up here on the hill in Greenville. Got everyone situated over on Paris Mountain so feeling pretty good about family. Let me know if you need anything.

Thoughts and Godspeed recovery to Bama. I understand from folks down that way it's pretty bad.

David

Originally Posted by BCBrian

[Linked Image]

Brian, have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you no sense of decency left?
Radio reports up here sound bad. Prayers to you good southern folks, its going to be a rough road.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Right now, hearing reports of 32 dead statewide so far. Damage unlike any seen in decades. Car parts, and other debris falling near my friends homes falling from the sky as far as 20 miles from the major storm track.
Jim;

Was trying to find your number to call you.

Hope you and yours are all safe.

Those pics, given what I KNOW college campuses and student housing/apartments are like, are horrifying.
Posted By: eh76 Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11

BCBrian that was uncalled for and totally classless. What little respect I had for you has been obliterated by that comment. You want to be an atheist, go right ahead fella, but keep your classless comments to yourself.

Prayers sent for those in the south.
prayers up from here. God be with you guys...
Posted By: eddief Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Been watching this on the Weather Channel, bad stuff... frown

Prayers sent here from me and my family for all in the storms path...
Posted By: Gobble Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
we got it bad up here but nothing like what happened down south. Praying for Alabama.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Apparently he is a high school teacher - I wonder how the kids turn out after he is done with them. What a piece of work!

IIRC he posted something to the effect that he kept posting "his ideas" here because no one in the faculty lounge would talk to him anymore.... must really suck to be him.
Posted By: T LEE Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Prayers offered for all affected.
He's from Canada, go figure!
Folks;

There is a huge area of a pretty good sized college town flattened.

There are hundreds of people without homes, and many have lost almost everything.

There are dozens dead; many more injured.

Please, concentrate on them, and not on those that would make it about them and their hatred.

Posted By: 444Matt Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
We left our house in Pea Ridge to come to my wife's sister's house (all brick with a basement) in Calera. Bought to leave out to see if we got any damage at our house. This thing is bad, real bad.
Posted By: badger Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Tornado warnings going off for my county (Cherokee) right now. We are headed for the tornado room in the basement. Softball size hail too mad. Daughter's car & my truck are in the driveway.
We left our house in Pea Ridge to come to my wife's sister's house (all brick with a basement) in Calera. Bought to leave out to see if we got any damage at our house. This thing is bad, real bad.

Hope everything is ok.
Originally Posted by badger
Tornado warnings going off for my county (Cherokee) right now. We are headed for the tornado room in the basement. Softball size hail too mad. Daughter's car & truck are in the driveway.

Bad stuff, that's the storm that passed through Tusc. and Bham...I mean the same cell that's done the horrific damage. Get as deep as you can!

Prayers for you and yours.
Prayers for all offered.... the wind has been howling here in the Mountains all day... got a severe thunder storm forecast for later tonight.
Yeah.... I need sleep. Bad. Ain't gonna get much tonight out here in the flat lands, though.
y'all getting storms too Sean?
Let's all pray for all concerned in Al and where ever this storm is headed!
Originally Posted by .280Rem
y'all getting storms too Sean?

Not yet. Should hit here in about 2 hours.... Lovely.

Prayers from me to you.

God Bless.
middle of the night sux. stay safe. prayers for you and yours. the worst seems to have passed here.
Originally Posted by rrconductor
He's from Canada, go figure!

Some of us Canadians are here in Alabama with family, waiting for the second storm front to come through and pay us a visit, and wondering what the go figure means....
There was a tornado that touched down just North of Winston Salem about 6:00 PM... My wife hear that on the radio coming home... don't have any details.
You know, I really didn't need to know that....

[Linked Image]

Dammit Brian get a [bleep] clue. In the middle of all this crap I am going to pray that you or yours never have to live through, or lose family or friends through storms like this. Sometimes prayer is even for those who seem the most heartless. God bless your soul, because you need it more than most.

Lynn

Posted By: GeoW Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Thanks Lynn, needed saying.
Prayers sent.
G
Originally Posted by GeoW
Thanks Lynn, needed saying.
Prayers sent.
G

I think he ticks me off more than he ticks off the Americans who post on this board. I truly do hang my head in shame at times when he posts, we are not all like him, I SWEAR by all that is holy. He's one in a million, and I am for keeping it that way.

Lynn
You're a class act Lynn... nicely put.

Just saw your second post after I wrote the above... I grew up on the border with Canada in Western NY State... Canadians in general are great folk IMO

Again, this is not, need not, and should not be about Brian.
You folks are in our thoughts and prayers here in SE Alberta. Be safe!
Posted By: mike762 Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Keep your head down Sean, we went through this last night. I was up 'til 0330 with all the warnings. This is a very bad system. Had to fly through it on the north side Monday PM to get into MEM, and it was one rough ride.
Got home and good news no damage to our house or trees down in our yard. We were lucky.... I've lived in Al for almost 30yrs and seen plenty of tornados before, the one that went through tuscaloosa and birmingham are just end of the world type destruction. Lots of folks dead, lots of people left with nothing but the clothes on their backs.
Posted By: mike762 Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Yep, bad news all the way around.
Got home and good news no damage to our house or trees down in our yard. We were lucky.... I've lived in Al for almost 30yrs and seen plenty of tornados before, the one that went through tuscaloosa and birmingham are just end of the world type destruction. Lots of folks dead, lots of people left with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

Good to hear for you. About 40 dead so far, probably more to come. Bad day for sure.
Posted By: eh76 Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
glad you are ok also 280Rem

I just got back from walking around what's left of a house across the road from where I grew up. It was a beautiful old house that was started in 1861 and finished in 1865 after the men came back from the civil war. The 95 year old man who owns it went into the nursing home two years ago so no one was there thankfully. It's been handed down through his family since it was built. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with his nephew describing what was left, which was nothing. When the nephew breaks the news to him tomorrow I fully expect to hear of the old man's death, I doubt he'll survive the news. If he does survive it'll be a glorious day.

So Brian, if no one has said it yet, you're an unholy cock$ucker.
'Bama boys;

What's today looking like down there?

That system tore through here last night (still is here, to some degree). Fortunately, nothing nasty here last night... though, not much sleep.
Current count, 128 fatalities in Alabama; sure to climb as searches resume this morning.
I am in Birmingham and we watched these live on TV,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohIVzIZLuQ&feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QFV60XFWfI
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Current count, 128 fatalities in Alabama; sure to climb as searches resume this morning.

Damn..... just.... damn.
Prayers on the way for all those impacted by the storms.
Posted By: badger Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
We made it through ok, lots of wind, limbs & some trees down. Lots less fortunate than us though, areas just north of me had some severe damage & fatalities. Southeast death toll over 150 so far and rising.......
Posted By: pahick Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
I hope this isnt deemed inappropriate, but this reminded me of this song. And sometimes music can put things in perspective.

God bless those who lost loved ones, my heart goes out for them. For those who seemingly lost "everything", try to remember "this aint nothin".
It looks like our worst fears are going to be realized. In 30 minutes the death toll on tv went from 85 to 170. The number of tornadoes is around 170 - will be the worst single day outbreak in US history. Prayers again to all those who lost loved ones and sustained property loss.
Prayer sent for all those who have been affected by these storms.
What a terrible loss of life and property.

Originally Posted by Cruiser1

Parts of Tuscaloosa and Birmingham have been completely leveled. Simply amazing and devastating.
Posted By: joken2 Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Were any of the tornados near Mickey Coleman's place? Anyone heard from him?
Damn... hadn't even thought about that.

Someone get a call into Mickey pronto!
I'm afraid the death toll is going to be in the 200s by the time the counting is done. Just got hold of one of my soldiers and he lost his house and truck. Got some folks I haven't been able to get a response from yet. 100,000s without power and cell phone service still kinda jammed up in some parts.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
I've had the news feed on in the background since I got up this morning. Unbelievable.

All I can say is that I'll keep you all in my thoughts....

George
Originally Posted by joken2

Talked to Mickey last night after supper, him and the dogs were fine. Spoke to him again a bit ago, he said he slept through the part of the storm that went through his area late last night. He's doing okay.

Lynn

Posted By: pahick Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Phew! Glad to hear he's doin ok. I have alot of respect for him.
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

BCBrian that was uncalled for and totally classless. What little respect I had for you has been obliterated by that comment. You want to be an atheist, go right ahead fella, but keep your classless comments to yourself.

Prayers sent for those in the south.

Prayers from her too. What a terrible situation.

I had no respect for that loser before. If there was any doubt what a bottom feeder BCBrian is, there should be none now.
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Talked to Mickey last night after supper, him and the dogs were fine. Spoke to him again a bit ago, he said he slept through the part of the storm that went through his area late last night. He's doing okay.

Lynn

Good to know and hear.
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Lynn

Good to hear. Thank's for the update, Miss Lynn.

Prayers to all!

Not near any of this major stuff, but there were 150 tornadoes reported through the south yesterday, most in AL.

My secretary's daughter lives in Tuscaloosa, and a friend of her's is missing.
Posted By: hatari Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Originally Posted by badger
We made it through ok, lots of wind, limbs & some trees down. Lots less fortunate than us though, areas just north of me had some severe damage & fatalities. Southeast death toll over 150 so far and rising.......

I'm just a few miles east of Badger, and we made it with no major problems. That cell that ripped through Tuscaloosa and B'Ham kept right on cranking through Rome Ga, and right across North Georgia never losing much steam even after sunset. One of the most virulent storm cells I've seen. Prayers to all that have been affected, and even to insensitive jerks that live in areas that have never reported a F5 tornado, and therefore have no idea their destructive force.
For reference - Fujita Scale of Tornado Intensity: http://www.tornadoproject.com/fscale/fscale.htm

F0 Gale tornado 40-72 mph Some damage to chimneys; breaks branches off trees; pushes over shallow-rooted trees; damages sign boards.

F1 Moderate tornado 73-112 mph The lower limit is the beginning of hurricane wind speed; peels surface off roofs; mobile homes pushed off foundations or overturned; moving autos pushed off the roads; attached garages may be destroyed.

F2 Significant tornado 113-157 mph Considerable damage. Roofs torn off frame houses; mobile homes demolished; boxcars pushed over; large trees snapped or uprooted; light object missiles generated.

F3 Severe tornado 158-206 mph Roof and some walls torn off well constructed houses; trains overturned; most trees in fores uprooted

F4 Devastating tornado 207-260 mph Well-constructed houses leveled; structures with weak foundations blown off some distance; cars thrown and large missiles generated.

F5 Incredible tornado 261-318 mph Strong frame houses lifted off foundations and carried considerable distances to disintegrate; automobile sized missiles fly through the air in excess of 100 meters; trees debarked; steel re-inforced concrete structures badly damaged.

F6 Inconceivable tornado 319-379 mph These winds are very unlikely. The small area of damage they might produce would probably not be recognizable along with the mess produced by F4 and F5 wind that would surround the F6 winds. Missiles, such as cars and refrigerators would do serious secondary damage that could not be directly identified as F6 damage. If this level is ever achieved, evidence for it might only be found in some manner of ground swirl pattern, for it may never be identifiable through engineering studies
A close friend of ours has two family members missing and unaccounted for. Sending prayers up for his family and all that have been affected by these deadly storms.

Lynn
As I mentioned earlier yesterday's megastorm was headed from Tuscaloosa straight for my old home area, the one that was hit with an F5 12 years or so ago. Got word from a friend that beat his way into this tragedy zone last night to check on kids and grandkids. He says this is worse than before. I can't even imagine. The last one literally erased some residential areas. No trees, no houses, nothing...gone. It pulled dirt out of the ground and asphalt off roads. And this is worse.

In Tuscaloosa search & rescue is still going on. My son has his phone off because he can't charge it but at last word he was trying to find a staging area to work from. Apparently lots of the able bodied trying to focus their work. Churches in the area are already providing what they can where they can. Red Cross, I THINK, is there as well. Heartbroken, difficult day to work. Too many friends and relatives there.
Posted By: 1234567 Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
The storm went to the north of my family, in Canton, GA. Prayers for those in the path.

Miss Lynn, Canada, U.S. anywhere, the anti-God people do not have boundries to limit where they can spread their venum.

Being an atheist is one thing, but putting down God's word and mocking God is another issue entirely.
Posted By: T LEE Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
I have been offering prayers since yesterday and continue to do so. We need a thread for the folks from here to check in on.

I have been through some F-3's in my youth and 4 Hurricanes here in Fl, I still cannot imagine the damage these things have done. Truly damage of biblical proportions.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
For reference - Fujita Scale of Tornado Intensity: http://www.tornadoproject.com/fscale/fscale.htm

F0 Gale tornado 40-72 mph Some damage to chimneys; breaks branches off trees; pushes over shallow-rooted trees; damages sign boards.

F1 Moderate tornado 73-112 mph The lower limit is the beginning of hurricane wind speed; peels surface off roofs; mobile homes pushed off foundations or overturned; moving autos pushed off the roads; attached garages may be destroyed.

F2 Significant tornado 113-157 mph Considerable damage. Roofs torn off frame houses; mobile homes demolished; boxcars pushed over; large trees snapped or uprooted; light object missiles generated.

F3 Severe tornado 158-206 mph Roof and some walls torn off well constructed houses; trains overturned; most trees in fores uprooted

F4 Devastating tornado 207-260 mph Well-constructed houses leveled; structures with weak foundations blown off some distance; cars thrown and large missiles generated.

F5 Incredible tornado 261-318 mph Strong frame houses lifted off foundations and carried considerable distances to disintegrate; automobile sized missiles fly through the air in excess of 100 meters; trees debarked; steel re-inforced concrete structures badly damaged.

F6 Inconceivable tornado 319-379 mph These winds are very unlikely. The small area of damage they might produce would probably not be recognizable along with the mess produced by F4 and F5 wind that would surround the F6 winds. Missiles, such as cars and refrigerators would do serious secondary damage that could not be directly identified as F6 damage. If this level is ever achieved, evidence for it might only be found in some manner of ground swirl pattern, for it may never be identifiable through engineering studies

They're saying now this was probably an F4. Heard today that merchandise from the Big Lots store that was destroyed in Tuscaloosa was found in Pratt City, a section of Birmingham hit just about as hard, and about 60 miles away.
Were any of the tornado's near Mickey Coleman's place? Anyone heard from him?

Not near any of this major stuff, but there were 150 tornadoes reported through the south yesterday, most in AL.

My secretary's daughter lives in Tuscaloosa, and a friend of hers is missing.

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't certain how far south in Alabama the most severe tornado's ranged. I Goggled the town of Greenville, AL, where Mickey's profile has as where he lives and didn't find any recent news reports of storm damage.

Sincere hope's your secretary's daughter locates her friend and all is well.

Prayer's out to those not as fortunate that are suffering loss.
Deaths now at 194 in Alabama scattered over 17 counties and 66 tornados.
Posted By: Pete E Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Been watching the storms on the News over here and my heart goes out to the South....

Not been able to post of late due to PC problems, but have been thinking of all the folks affected, and I hope those that need it get all the help possible..
Poor Bama got slammed. The Natl. WX service office, for this region is in Huntsville. They lost power to their doppler radar site in Jackson Co. AL. just across the state line from Franklin Co. TN. I'ld of thought that the radar site would of had a Diesel gen. for a backup power source. I believe the death toll in this state was five. I was up in N'ville today, i noticed electric co. service trucks heading South on I-65, probably towards the Bham area.
Here are a couple of pictures snapped from an office building in Birmingham. Amazing and scary! Best wishes to all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete E Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/28/11
Folks,

In no way is this meant to be disrespectful, but why, when an area is known for tornado's, are so many residential buildings made from wood???

The media here is showing streets which have been basically turned to match sticks...Surely brick or concrete block structures would fair better? I can still imagine them needing to re roof, but I would think the basic structure would survive?

Regards,

Peter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Here are a couple of pictures snapped from an office building in Birmingham. Amazing and scary! Best wishes to all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Taken from the Regions Bank building looking up 19th?
Originally Posted by Pete E
Folks,

In no way is this meant to be disrespectful, but why, when an area is known for tornado's, are so many residential buildings made from wood???

The media here is showing streets which have been basically turned to match sticks...Surely brick or concrete block structures would fair better? I can still imagine them needing to re roof, but I would think the basic structure would survive?

Regards,

Peter

Peter, nothing hit directly by that could survive. I levels brick buildings. You couldn't afford to build a building to withstand that for normal business or living.

I don't know the building name, but it is at 1901 6th Ave. North.
Posted By: Scott F Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/29/11
Got word this evening one of my daughters in law lost her brother and his wife in Arkansas. The found them in the remains of their home.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/29/11

Regions-Harbert Plaza

Regions-Harbert Plaza

It hit all over N.AL. Sand Mtn. towns and counties bordering TN. also. The Huntsville TV station was showing pictures of AL. residents coming into TN. to buy gas and other items.
Folks,

Regards,

Peter

Pete,

There's a brick home about five miles from me that was leveled, they go maybe a half second longer than a wood home in a tornado. Concrete block structures get leveled also but they'll last longer than wood or brick, the disadvantage is that in our heat and humidity they sweat making them uncomfortable and hard to heat/cool, plus they're unattractive. We don't have much stone in the south so that's out as a building material, plus it has the same disadvantages much like your old castles in the UK, damp, cold and hard to heat.

What a lot of people around me have are storm pits, hardened shelters dug in to the ground. The water table's high here so not many have basements. I'm in a rural area and I'd say more homes than not have storm pits outside. I spent many a summer afternoon in my youth sitting in our storm pit, my mother wasn't much for storms. Most of your newer built suburban subdivisions aren't going to have storm pits, no place to put them and they're too expensive to build. Suburbs with their cookie cutter frame homes are ripe to be leveled by a tornado.
Folks,

Regards,

Peter

.280 Rem is correct.

[b][color:#3333FF]Hurricanes,[/color][/b] which I'm sure you're familiar with, top out at Cat 5 with sustained winds at or above 250 km/hr. You've seen the destruction that a Cat 5 hurricane can lay down.

These [color:#3333FF][b]tornado winds[/b][/color] , very focused when compared to a hurricane, are in the F3-F5 class of tornado range. They have winds ranging from 254km/hr to over 500 km/hr.

In [b][color:#3333FF]1999 in Moore, OK[/color][/b] an F5 touched down and tore up alot of the town, 36 people were killed. This storm had estimated top end wind speeds between 452 and 517 km/hr according to doppler radar.

They're BAD DUDES and not many structures that are built on a reasonable amount of $$$ will make it once hit.

Posted By: Wtxj Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/29/11
Anyone on the 24hcf hit by this storm?
Bush must somehow be at fault.
Posted By: shootem Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/29/11
Folks,

Regards,

Peter

If it's poured concrete & rebar maybe. But if you get in the 200 mph and up range a residential structure, from what I've seen, has no chance. I would consider it Divine Intervention if a basic block and brick structure made it thru a direct hit by this type storm.
anyone have any links to provide relief?

I know we've got some stuff laying around we need to get rid of, including a bit of cash and some prayers.

feel for those folks down there

will say I'm very glad to hear our Mickey is okay, tks for updating us on that Lynn, tis appreciated.

I don't have direct links for relief but later today as work permits I will call 4 churches I know of in the area to see if they are actively working on disaster relief. For those that are I will give the correct information for those who would like to donate. From experience working after the 1998 F5 in this area I can tell you that simple things like water and ready to eat food were never turned down by the victims.
Omg cnn reports more than 300 killed.
tks shootem

perhaps a new thread so that info when ascertained doesn't get buried in this thread.

always amazed me the power of multiplication, figure if 2000 or 20000 send a couple of cases of bottled water and couple of cases of RTE food, you can make a dent in hard times.

our nation is populated by a generous people

She was found, right after they found her dog, both dead...about 200 yards from where the closet used to be that she'd been huddled in with her Labrador Retriever.
Posted By: joken2 Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/29/11

She was found, right after they found her dog, both dead...about 200 yards from where the closet used to be that she'd been huddled in with her Labrador Retriever.

Gosh! Terrible, terrible news, indeed! I really do hate to hear that. Prayers out for your secretary's daughter and her deceased friend's family.
I don't have direct links for relief but later today as work permits I will call 4 churches I know of in the area to see if they are actively working on disaster relief. For those that are I will give the correct information for those who would like to donate. From experience working after the 1998 F5 in this area I can tell you that simple things like water and ready to eat food were never turned down by the victims.

Unfortunately I got word this morning of a death in the family and have not been able to make the contacts I wanted to. However thru the help of my church office I have been able to come up with some good options for those that wish to donate to the assistance of those in the disaster area. I will start a thread entitled Tornado Relief/Baptists on Mission with information on how to contribute. Other options welcome.
Ways to help:

http://www.joxfm.com/Article.asp?id=2173162&spid=
Posted By: 444Matt Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/29/11
Damn, finally tracked down a old friend/boss of mine to find out he lost his house and cars as well. His house was in pleasant grove, one of the hardest hit areas of B'ham.

Prayers for those that lost more than that.
Hope it's not accurate but word from Tuscaloosa is that a LOT of missing were recovered today in the Alberta City area. Dense, older housing and apparently has a 300 yd swath cut thru it. Number I heard was 60 but that is unconfirmed. Was told National Guard has heavy presence there with intense searching and cadaver dogs. Something I had not heard before was that early morning storms had knocked out power to some hard hit areas limiting knowledge of the approaching super cell. Also that tornado sirens had been going off 2 or 3 times a week for the last several weeks. Began to go unnoticed. 8 PM curfew in effect.
Posted By: BCBrian Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/29/11
Hey, my heart goes out to everyone harmed by nature's wrath.

But if God is in control, of the universe - isn't he the one who's directing the path of the tornado too?

Put put your faith in infrastructure, early warning systems, doppler radar, meteorologists, first-responders, education and science - because it's the ONLY thing that's ever going to help.

Helping the poor people who've lost their homes is another concrete thing people can do. Giving to charity, urging governments to assist the victims etc.

But thinking that when you pray that some heavenly power is going to twist the path of a twister - away from your own home - and therefore - into someone else's home - is sickeningly perverse. And a total waste of time.

I guess you can always pray for all the victims though - when you want to pretend you care - but really want to do nothing.

Posted By: HawkI Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 04/29/11

I'm so very sorry to her that. We have gone through similar here a few years ago.

Very heartbreaking.
Living so close to the Birmingham Airport, we watched the tornado literally go across the tarmac. Sara Beth is still living on campus at UAB where the storm came literally in her path. We were all horrified for her safety. She stayed in cell contact with me ducked down in her shower on the fifth floor of the Blount dorm building. That is a helpless feeling to not be able to get to your child in such a dangerous situation. My son was safe in Shelby County with his dad. My house had no damage but two doors down from us the neighbor had two huge trees through the roof. My little convertible roadster was moved about 6 feet by the wind force. The other car was unmoved, but it is a much larger car. The amazing thing was when the huge tornado came across the airport, the wind was still, the trees were still, not even a breeze was blowing in our yard. The sky was pitch black and the air was still. I've never seen anything like it. It was the scariest storm I have ever seen in this state. Friends of ours in Hackelburg, Al lost everything. Their home, church, business,,,everything. I found out yesterday that two life long friends were found in Blount Co. dead under the rubble of their home. A dream home they had built where they had planned to retire next year. We are so thankful to God to be safe and alive. Our children are safe and alive. God is indeed merciful and gracious to us, now we as Alabamians must return that same mercy and grace to our friends and neighbors.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 05/01/11

But if God is in control, of the universe - isn't he the one who's directing the path of the tornado too?

Put put your faith in infrastructure, early warning systems, doppler radar, meteorologists, first-responders, education and science - because it's the ONLY thing that's ever going to help.

Helping the poor people who've lost their homes is another concrete thing people can do. Giving to charity, urging governments to assist the victims etc.

But thinking that when you pray that some heavenly power is going to twist the path of a twister - away from your own home - and therefore - into someone else's home - is sickeningly perverse. And a total waste of time.

I guess you can always pray for all the victims though - when you want to pretend you care - but really want to do nothing.

SHUT THE [bleep] UP, SERIOUSLY!
My children could quote Psalms 91 before they could recite anything else. My daughter told me that when that tornado came across the UAB campus that was all she could remember to say. Im ok with that, really ok with that.

Psalm 91
1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, �He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.�
3 Surely he will save you
from the fowler�s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you say, �The LORD is my refuge,�
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 �Because he loves me,� says the LORD, �I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.�
Posted By: 5sdad Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 05/01/11
...tornado sirens had been going off 2 or 3 times a week for the last several weeks. Began to go unnoticed...

That is a very real problem.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 05/02/11
Spent the day in Hueytown working with a local church there. About 35 men from my church headed out with chainsaws, axes, and the like. Spent all day cutting trees off of houses, cleaning up folk's yards, just doing what we could for those affected. One thing we noticed there were no gov't agencies helping out, it was all volunteer groups from different churches and other folks just trying to help out, neighbor helping neighbor. As it should be. I discretly as I could took some photos and thought I'd share them with you guys. These do not do justice in any way to the amount of total destruction. There are still hundreds missing accros the state, the death toll on this one is gonna be huge guys. They could use all the prayers you care to toss their way.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/mattpair/IMAG0131.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/mattpair/IMAG0129.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/mattpair/IMAG0127.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Scott F Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 05/02/11

Brian, in all the time we have been on this forum I have listened to what you have to say and respectfully disagreed with you on the faith issues. I have NEVER attempted to push my faith on you or in any way put you down for you beliefs.

But this goes more than a little over the edge. You sarcasm sounds like down right hate.
You just became the second person in my ten and a half years to be permanently put on my ignore list.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 05/02/11
Something I'd heard, but hadn't been in the media...

They have a warehouse in Tuscaloosa with unidentified dead stacked like like cord wood. Don't know that to be true, but...

Yesterday, the Mayor of Tuscaloosa confirmed that there are 458 confirmed missing reports. The reports have been checked for duplication, and the number is 458 confirmed. I think he was talking state wide, not just in Tuscaloosa. Confirmed dead was over 200 last I heard.

Staggering numbers.
Originally Posted by Scott F
Brian... ...I have NEVER attempted to push my faith on you or in any way put you down for you beliefs.

Look at his sig line (quoted below). He's proselytizing, just like an evangelist. Except sans the "good" news of the Gospel.
Originally Posted by Brian
"A Scientific Pantheist who enjoys sharing his beliefs." Check out: http://www.pantheism.ne/paul/index.htm
He doesn't merely state his belief, he works to convert others. It's true. Think back on many of his posts.

He puts his faith in man. Athiests are picture-perfect idolaters placing self or fellow man and and his ingenuity above God. The same thing Nimrod and the people of his time did. It is written they said "we shall go forth and make a name for ourselves." Rather than trusting God they trusted and followed Nimrod and built cities and governments. What Nimrod and his followers did was the same thing Lucifer and his followers did, "raise their throne above that of the most high God."

This is where they placed their trust and devotion. They gave honor to themselves and what they had built and their reverence to the one who named himself king over them. We know how that worked out... and history has repeated itself on that score time and again.

Don't take offense. Jesus doesn't.
No need to put him on ignore, either. We know the Lord won't. Instead He'll keep knocking, to the very end.

You haven't a clue, and you haven't any compassion.

Show at least some decency, though I doubt you have much (if any), and leave this thread alone.
Posted By: shootem Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 05/02/11
Something I'd heard, but hadn't been in the media...

They have a warehouse in Tuscaloosa with unidentified dead stacked like like cord wood. Don't know that to be true, but...

Yesterday, the Mayor of Tuscaloosa confirmed that there are 458 confirmed missing reports. The reports have been checked for duplication, and the number is 458 confirmed. I think he was talking state wide, not just in Tuscaloosa. Confirmed dead was over 200 last I heard.

Staggering numbers.

I saw the mayor on TV too. I took it he was talking about missing in Tuscaloosa. Had heard before from Tuscaloosa that there were around 500 missing. That doesn't make it true, but the pessimism in the mayor's face and voice when talking about the search was very telling. There are sad stories yet to come from that town. On an upnote it is the citizens themselves that are taking on the task of relief work. Asked my son what organization he worked with yesterday. His reply was there are just locals doing what needs doing. Church groups are big in providing food, water and labor. No "government agencies" other than emergency service and National Guard. People helping people. Here's an example of where help is coming from. This from the Alabama Baptist website:

May 1, 2011 :: Update
Currently, volunteer teams are dispatched across the state, with the number of volunteers growing by the hour. Please continue to pray for all affected by the storms and for volunteers as they minister in affected areas across the state. Please give to help in the relief effort. Remember that 100% of your donation will go directly to help those affected by the storm.

� Clean Up Recovery Units - 35 units from Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky and Michigan. The teams working all over North Alabama.

� Feeding Units - 4 units from Alabama; 1 from Kentucky; 1 from Florida; 1 from Texas; 1 from South Carolina. These teams are serving in areas from: Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Rainsville, Double Springs, and Limestone and Madison counties.

� Shower Units - 13 units from Alabama. These units are set up in the following counties: Jefferson, Tuscaloosa, Walker, Franklin, St. Clair, Calhoun, Dekalb, and Lawrence.

� Total number of units currently operative as of Sunday: 73

� Total number of volunteers: More than 1000 volunteers currently with boots on the ground plus many churches that are serving meals, collecting and distributing goods, and housing those displaced by the storms.
From www.al.com:

Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddux said late Saturday that 434 people were unaccounted for, down from 570 hours earlier.

"My sense is that we will have more fatalities," Maddox said.

Maddox said the storms had damaged more than 5,700 buildings and homes in the Tuscaloosa area alone.
Posted By: bxroads Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 05/02/11
What drives BCBrian crazy is the number of non-believers who will be converted to Christians BECAUSE their house was destroyed and BECAUSE they lost loved ones. God is a jealous God. What might seem to the world like the worst day of your life is really what saved you and became the most important and best day of your life.

Proverbs 26:4-5

SHUT THE [bleep] UP, SERIOUSLY!

+ a bazillion

the only difference in BCB and the folks at Westboro is just their cause and where they protest
sorry guys, got on here to look for links to help, and became incensed by the "intellectually superior's post"

appreciate the links to send relief stuff

thanks guys
My BIL and his family live in Hoover. They made it through ok.

Unfortunately, one of his coworkers, who is a young man of 25 years, is in critical condition. This young man and his young wife were married two years ago. He now has lost his wife and his house with all belongings. However, he knows that she is with our Lord and Savior, and he'll join her again.

Join me in praying for all those who lost loved ones, who do not know Jesus yet...
Originally Posted by 5sdad
...tornado sirens had been going off 2 or 3 times a week for the last several weeks. Began to go unnoticed...

That is a very real problem.

Let me clarify a bit more. The reason for this as I understand it is that the potential for a tornado has actually been present that often lately. Not really an instance of crying wolf. Unfortunately this time the threat moved from potential to real.
Drove down the Natchez Trace Pkwy. this weekend to Tupelo, MS. Saw evidence in S. TN. N.AL. and N.MS. of tornado damage.
My brother, Neal, and sister, Vicky, live in the area where .280 works. We were there last night. It was unbelievable. The area of interstate (I-20/59) between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham had some tree damage but the further west into Tuscaloosa county we drove, it was shocking. I cried just to think that something that powerful could have taken my family. The rest of my family was in the city limits of Tuscaloosa. All made it. I am eternally and profoundly thankful.
Originally Posted by NurseKat
My brother, Neal, and sister, Vicky, live in the area where .280 works. We were there last night. It was unbelievable. The area of interstate (I-20/59) between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham had some tree damage but the further west into Tuscaloosa county we drove, it was shocking. I cried just to think that something that powerful could have taken my family. The rest of my family was in the city limits of Tuscaloosa. All made it. I am eternally and profoundly thankful.

There's alot of places on Sand Mtn. all the way to the TN. border that are tore up. Areas between Huntsville & B'ham, such as Cullman, that were damaged. When i was in Tupelo this weekend, folks were talking about towns in MS. that have been flattened. This on the same line of storms that hit the B'ham area.
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Originally Posted by NurseKat

There's alot of places on Sand Mtn. all the way to the TN. border that are tore up. Areas between Huntsville & B'ham, such as Cullman, that were damaged. When i was in Tupelo this weekend, folks were talking about towns in MS. that have been flattened. This on the same line of storms that hit the B'ham area.

I can remember a tornado hiting our house when I was a small child. I have not seen another storm like the one that came thru Wed. ever in my life. As I have said, and will say again....Im profoundly grateful to be alive, my family alive and our property intact.
I just saw on the evening news that there are still 340 missing/unaccounted for people in Tuscaloosa alone. Codaver dogs are on the ground with search teams. I also heard that Louisianna has sent a 120 man search and rescue team to the city of Tuscaloosa as well.
Whew, just found out my nephew made it ok in Tuscaloosa. Haven't been able to find out about a cousin that lived in Northport..
My wife's cousin lost her house in Ringold, Ga. She wasn't there at the time, but her husband was. He grabbed the dogs and ducked into an interior bathroom. It was the only room left somewhat intact. He was very, very lucky. Eight neighbors died.
Posted By: T LEE Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 05/02/11
Glad for some good news Sir.
Thank you. They're good people... even if they are from Georgia. wink
Posted By: T LEE Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 05/02/11
Hey, Georgia is full of good folks.
Originally Posted by T LEE
Hey, Georgia is full of good folks.

Yeah, but I've always wondered if they're higher or lower on the evolutionary ladder than people from, say, Tennessee? (The best thing about Tenn., of course, is that it gives Kentuckians something to make fun of). wink
Posted By: T LEE Re: HUGE Tornado in Birmingham - 05/03/11
Well we have hunter1960 as a TN example!
© 24hourcampfire