Home
Posted By: tzone Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
I might have to eat a little crow but they're starting to grow on me...

It seems to be more affordable than the Ford or the Toyota for our family at this point, which really is what it's about when you boil it all down.

Posted By: RS308MX Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Prayers sent, from a happy and proud Toyota owner. cool
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Toyotas are going to be in short supply, due to the disasters in Japan, so I doubt their prices will come down any this year, even at the year-end sales, they don't have much inventory to get rid of.
Ford Super Dutys, made here in Louisville, can't get some parts they need from Japan, either, so production has been slowed down somewhat, to keep supply from outstripping demand. That'll keep the prices up, too.

Tzone, you might look at Nissans, they're pretty fair, but with poor mileage, I'd rather drive one of them than a Mexican Dodge, I've had four smaller Nissans without a single headache out of any of them. Mileage is scary with the big ones, though.

Posted By: tmax264 Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
I like the Dodges. I have a 95 Dakota with 301,xxx miles and only major repair was a transmission at 220,000. Sitting in the driveway with a load of river rock waiting to be unloaded as I type. Also have a 97 Ram 4x4 that belonged to war department's oldest son that seems solid enough. Like most Dodges I've known though it will need a tranny somewhere in the 200,000 mile range. Neighbor has a Ram 3500 dually diesel that is a really sweet truck.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
My wife and I have 2 an 04 Dakota with just over 200k, and an 08 ram with 50k. The infant car seat does not fit very well in the back seat but that is about my only issue. The dakota used to be my wife's vehicle, then she traded my car on the ram, and took over the newer vehicle. Does that happen to anyone else?
Posted By: tzone Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Originally Posted by RS308MX

I know, I have one now and have ZERO issues with it. It's getting too small for the kids in the back seat. I'm not saying Toyota is out by any means, not by a long shot.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Tzone, you might look at Nissans, they're pretty fair, but with poor mileage, I'd rather drive one of them than a Mexican Dodge, I've had four smaller Nissans without a single headache out of any of them. Mileage is scary with the big ones, though.

I need a full sized truck. I pull a boat on most nice weekends and load the heck out of it from October through November.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Originally Posted by tzone
So does mold if ya don't treat it.. laugh

I think most vehicles are pretty darn good nowadays.. Your only hit's going to be when/if you trade it in..

But one local guy I've known for 40+ years just bought one and he's very happy with it.. I mean, it ain't no F-150, but it's CLOSE..

Hehehehehee..
Posted By: GuyM Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Looking new or used? My '99 Dodge Ram 4x4 is doing great with the little old 318/5.2 and the 5-speed manual. Solid truck, nothing special, just comfortable & reliable. I think I'll keep it another ten years.
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/performance/2011/

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/engine/

Note the mileage difference.. With $4.00 gas, every mile per gallon helps..
Posted By: 257wby Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
I have an '03 1500. Hemi with 98K. No problems so far. I'd do it again.
Posted By: Wook Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
When I bought a new truck in '08 Ford and Chevy were out of my league, far more expensive than my Ram 2500. I got over $12,000 off since prices were high and with deep discounts at other dealers I still couldn't touch a Ford or Chevy. I get crappy mileage, about 8-9 mpg when I drive in the city. Its been a good truck so far and since I plan on keeping it for awhile I bought the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty.

Wook
Posted By: duxndogs Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
I've owned my one and only Dodge truck, Quad Cab 4x4 with a hemi, worst vehicle I've ever owned. I realize any company can have a few issues (looks like 257wby got a good one about the same time I got my lemon) but the lack of customer service all the way to the regional level is why I will never own another.

Originally Posted by Wook
... I bought the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty.

Wook
??? Who's that through?? Gotta be an aftermarket co. If so, best of luck if/when you need it.. And I hope you never do, seriously...
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11

It seems to be more affordable than the Ford or the Toyota for our family at this point, which really is what it's about when you boil it all down.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fish head Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Wook,

I think you misread the warranty.

It's a lifetime bumper and bumper warranty. Not "to".

It covers both the front and rear bumpers for as long as you own the vehicle. No mileage limitations either. smile
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
And don't forget better!
Originally Posted by Redneck
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/performance/2011/

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/engine/

Note the mileage difference.. With $4.00 gas, every mile per gallon helps..

Pretty much a wash on the 4x4's comparing V-8's. The Eco-boost is a different animal and would be prefered if I got a Ford.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
And don't forget better!

Not even in the same league. Which is why the price is cheaper on the Dodge.

Posted By: Flyfast Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Save your money, don't buy the new one. Buy a 2-year-old Tundra crewcab; when you hit the 300,000 mile mark, pain-free, you won't feel too bad.
Posted By: Hemi Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
WOW! What a 180 from just a little time ago.....

Considering a vehicle from a bail-out company. A Dodge, not a Toyota or Ford.

"need a full size truck"???? I thought them Toyota were so much better.

Your a piece of work Tzone.

Hemi
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
In the all truck comparison in a couple of the car mags - Dodge beat all of it's competitors.

But what do those folks know?

Posted By: Sako Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
I for one will never buy another Bail Out company vehicle... I guess it will be Ford from now on for me...
Posted By: Sako Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Originally Posted by BCBrian
In the all truck comparison in a couple of the car mags - Dodge beat all of it's competitors.

They know who advertises....
Posted By: fish head Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Originally Posted by Sako

They know who advertises....

Exactly.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11

I know, I have one now and have ZERO issues with it. It's getting too small for the kids in the back seat. I'm not saying Toyota is out by any means, not by a long shot.

I hear ya', tzone. I liked my '02 Tundra, but like you point out the back seat is a little snug. Loving my new used '07 crewmax. Bought it with about 32k on it for about $28,000. It was the only one I've seen for sale, which accounts for the prices they go for.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Almost 200,000 miles on our 2001 Dodge Ram with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual trans, and nary a problem so far. Not as quiet or "luxurious" as some Frds and Chevs but a nice sound system, good AC and solid as a rock down the middle.
I think you should read the magazines I'm talking about a bit more.

If what you say was true - Ford and Toyota would have won.
Car magazines are worth only their weight in toilet paper..

Those same magazines have given some real turds the 'Car of the Year' award.. The rest usually cost in excess of a million bux..

Only time I waste readin' those things is when I'm waiting on the dentist.. They're great for a laugh..

Those same magazines have given some real turds the 'Car of the Year' award.. The rest usually cost in excess of a million bux..

Only time I waste readin' those things is when I'm waiting on the dentist.. They're great for a laugh..

+1

Anybody remember the much touted (by the car rags) Renault Alliance?
Originally Posted by bruinruin

+1

You know what? In my post above I nearly mentioned that turd... And yes, I DO remember it.. IIRC, the '83 T-bird was on that list too.. (gag)

Posted By: rnr Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Just picked up an '05 Daytona Ram 1550. 5.7 Hemmi and pretty fast. It was bought new by an old guy who found out that it was too much truck for him. So he stuck it in the garage and only put 6257 miles on it and then traded it in. I found it on the local dealership lot and they threw in a topper as part of the deal.

So an '05 Ram with less than 7000 (yup 7thousand) miles on it. Of course my wife claimed the truck.

+1

Rather than depend on enthusiast magazines - you guys who don't trust them can always rely on Consumer Guide. grin
Posted By: Hubert Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
I bought a 2004 1500 super truck.as soon as the warrenty was expired so was the truck. every inspection it needed $300.00 to $500.00 just to pass Pa inspection. now own a CHEVY I should never of left them.P>S the motor ran fine.

+1

Rather than depend on enthusiast magazines - you guys who don't trust them can always rely on Consumer Guide. grin

Brian, if you're referring to Consumer Reports, I quit gleefully swallowing every gem of advice they offered up a few years back. Had much to do with my personal experience with some of their top picks turning out to be nothing but top [bleep].

+1

Brian, if you're referring to Consumer Reports, I quit gleefully swallowing every gem of advice they offered up a few years back. Had much to do with my personal experience with some of their top picks turning out to be nothing but top [bleep].

That's what I meant! wink
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
I've found the same to be true of "reviews" on internet forums.
Posted By: badger Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11

+1

I'll never forget Consumer Report's hearty endorsement of the Cavalier over the Acura Integra........
Posted By: Beargrease Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
T-zone. Go for it. I would put a Mopar up against any Jap truck in the real world any day. smile
Originally Posted by Hemi
WOW! What a 180 from just a little time ago.....

Considering a vehicle from a bail-out company. A Dodge, not a Toyota or Ford.

"need a full size truck"???? I thought them Toyota were so much better.

Your a piece of work Tzone.

Hemi

A Toyota is a lot better. So is a Ford. The Dodge is quite a few thou $ cheaper too. I also said I'll eat a little crow, but only if I get one.

Thanks for helping with the decision. Ford or Toyota it is.... Just needed a few cups of coffee I guess, to get back to thinking straight.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Smart man. Or, the prayers worked. shocked

I hear ya', tzone. I liked my '02 Tundra, but like you point out the back seat is a little snug. Loving my new used '07 crewmax. Bought it with about 32k on it for about $28,000. It was the only one I've seen for sale, which accounts for the prices they go for.

I bought this one used with 19K on the ODO and now have close to 82K. I have 18,000 left on the warranty, which I doubt I'll need. This is the first vehicle I've had ZERO issuse with. I mean nuttin. I have about a year before I run out of warrany. I'll run out of space in the back seat before that. I'll probably keep it until then and then decide what to get.

Once I sat down and looked and compared apples to oranges, which is what you're doing with Ford/Toyota to the dodge, I'm back on track.
Originally Posted by Beargrease
T-zone. Go for it. I would put a Mopar up against any Jap truck in the real world any day. smile

Do it..... I'll take your money. smile
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11

I sold our '94 extra cab toy truck and replaced it in '06 w/ a 2500 ram quad cab w/ 5.9 cummins. Honestly it was the cummins I bought the truck for. I know folks like to bash the ram trucks, but for a 4X4 truck, I can't complain. Solid axles front and rear, manually shifted transfer case.

I have had a few problems, had a broken hose clamp that resulted in a coolant leak. Simple fix, but incompetent dealership that took 4 trips and 11 days over a month to fix it, and the waterpump crapped out at 50k. After the fun with the warranty work for the hose clamp, I figured it would be less grief to just change the waterpump myself on my own dime.

Yeah, it drives and rides a bit stiff, but it's a truck, and it would be nice if it were a bit quieter, but it's a diesel. The quad cab has plenty of room for a family of 5, and a large dog. All in all I've been happy with it over the past 4 1/2 years and 65k miles. I probably wouldn't buy another one because the dealership managed to pizz me off to the extent that I wouldn't even buy a valve stem cap if they were the only place in the state that sold them.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Originally Posted by rnr
Just picked up an '05 Daytona Ram 1550. 5.7 Hemmi and pretty fast. It was bought new by an old guy who found out that it was too much truck for him. So he stuck it in the garage and only put 6257 miles on it and then traded it in. I found it on the local dealership lot and they threw in a topper as part of the deal.

So an '05 Ram with less than 7000 (yup 7thousand) miles on it. Of course my wife claimed the truck.
what's it get?-like 8 mpg
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
in town my 08 gets about 9mpg on the highway about 17mpg
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

I sold our '94 extra cab toy truck and replaced it in '06 w/ a 2500 ram quad cab w/ 5.9 cummins. Honestly it was the cummins I bought the truck for. I know folks like to bash the ram trucks, but for a 4X4 truck, I can't complain. Solid axles front and rear, manually shifted transfer case.

It would still be in the running if I was looking for a 3/4 ton. I need a full size, but not a 3/4 ton.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
I have owned one Dodge truck a 1997 model.
I will not buy another,because the 318 motor kept loosing oil pressure and they couldn't find anything wrong.
I replaced 3 engines,when the third had the first signs of oil pressure problems we traded it off.
I had been using Royal Purple oil and even it didn't help.A mechanic told me they redesigned the 310 engine well they did a crappy job and ruined a good engine design.
Originally Posted by Beargrease

Do it..... I'll take your money. smile

Last year, a local kid was hotrodding around in his V8 Dakota. He told me he'd like to run it against my Toyo Crewmax. I agreed and we, on a remote and discreet location, lined up. I gave him the nod and waited until I saw his truck begin to move, then I tromped on the gas. With the advantage of my generosity and less weight he had me off the line and for about the next 150'. After that it was all over for him.

The look on his face when he caught up while I waited briefly for him at the corner stop sign was one of admiration and dismay. We briefly talked about the topics of horsepower and (rural) neighborhood safety.He turned out to be a pretty good kid who never hotrodded through our neighborhood again.
Posted By: Beargrease Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
My 5.9 Durango has snacked on a lot of Toys that thought they were trucks. grin
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Don't think you can go wrong with a Dodge truck.
Posted By: Youper Re: Dodge Ram - 05/13/11
Mopar or no car for me.
Posted By: shooterschmidty Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
I bought a new 05 Dakota and it was a total POS. I had so much front suspension/brake/wheel bearing trouble with the thing that I finally traded it in on a 04 Tundra. In 50k miles I haven't had to do a thing other than fluid and filter changes. The fact that it has more stock ground clearance than any other full size doesn't hurt either.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
I've been very pleased with my 2004 Ram 1500 Quad Cab.
Posted By: IntruderBN Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
'07 3500 4x4 Ram with 105k. Not a single problem, and I haul horses up and down the mountain. You might want to consider a nice used 5.9 Cummins, it might make quite a difference at the pump, even though you said you don't need more than a half ton.
Posted By: picturerock Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
[Linked Image]

This thread needs a photo.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
Nice sneakers.
Posted By: tzone Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
Got any pictures of trucks?
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11

Taco or Tundra owner?

my mechanic says go Tundra next purchase when replacing my 2nd GMC (am done with GM, gov't gets enough of my money)

but I'm leery ime, the newer Tacos aren't near the same rugged little truck of the late 80's and 90's vintage

color me unimpressed with the changes they've made.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
Well, i don't know what to get. the '02 gmc 4x4 5.3 with 250,000 miles still gets 19.5 hwy(18.6 on long trips at 80mph on hwy, 13.5 with 20ft bassboat at 70-75). it had 1 waterpump,a fuel pump, and $1500 tranny job. probably has 30,000 miles on rough ranch roads at 'too fast'. it gets better mileage than my 4.6 toyota which is a pile of class and quality, but it has the darn toyota 4.10 rear end. if it weren't for that, i'd know what to get, but the gmc is the best vehicle i ever owned including mark4's and 5's and corvettes.
Posted By: tzone Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
taco's are still damn good trucks. The Tundra is a good one, at least mine is.
Posted By: Metsamies Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Taco or Tundra owner?

my mechanic says go Tundra next purchase when replacing my 2nd GMC (am done with GM, gov't gets enough of my money)

but I'm leery ime, the newer Tacos aren't near the same rugged little truck of the late 80's and 90's vintage

I guess your "mechanic" never told you that GM and Toyota partnered up for about 26 years.

"NUMMI was established at the site of a former General Motors Fremont Assembly site that had been closed two years earlier in 1982 (GM plant since 1960). GM and Toyota reopened the factory as a joint venture in 1984 to manufacture vehicles to be sold under both brands.[2] GM pulled out of the venture in June 2009, and several months later Toyota announced plans to pull out by March 2010.[3][4] At 9.40am on April 1, 2010, the plant produced its last car, a black Toyota Corolla S believed to be destined for a museum in Japan"

WOW SHOCKING GM PARTNERS WITH THE COMPETITION!

"General Motors and Ford Motor Company cooperated in 2002 to create a new automatic transaxle, designed for transverse engine applications in cars and light trucks. The companies jointly committed to investing US$720 million in their manufacturing plants to support the new transmission."

"In 1999 New Process Gear was renamed "New Venture Gear" when it became a joint venture between General Motors and the Chrysler Corporation."

Posted By: lmartin Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
as a dedicated mopar man i found this rather interesting. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: Metsamies Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
I was waiting for that to make it on here.
Posted By: lazyered Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
My dad has a new f150 4x4 with a 5 liter. Lots of power and it gets by far the best mileage I've ever saw in a pickup. 19mpg+ just driving around and as good as 22 on trips.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by lmartin
as a dedicated mopar man i found this rather interesting. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Imartin- re the 'overpenetration' thing -I've had women disagree. (grin)
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11

I refuse to support the Obama progressive fascist movement by buying from GM or Chrysler.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Dodge Ram - 05/14/11

I own two Rams, one a '99 2500 Quad Cab diesel, the other an '09 1500 Hemi. Both are great trucks.

The diesel now wears the camper full-time, and gets used mostly for hunting trips. With nearly 100,000 miles on it, the only trips to the shop have been for routine maintenance- nothing ever breaks on this truck!

So far, the '09 only has 18K miles on it, but same deal- everything works and has from day one. Most of its miles so far have also been for hunting trips.
Besides, it's just a great-looking truck, gets decent mileage, and rides like a dream even on rough roads.

There's just nothing not to like about these trucks, IMO.
Posted By: pahick Re: Dodge Ram - 05/15/11

I hate to agree, but me too. Im a chevy man. From dad hauling home a 57 shell when I was 4, to mom driving a 66 nova for 17 yrs, ive had it shoved up my butt grin I wouldnt change a thing, I love chevy's.

But then I ran across this clip......this truck is flat sexy! Im not much for white either, but Rough Country got the stance perfect on this lift....

Ive been looking at trucks for months now. Needless to say ill be looking at Dodge too come fall.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Dodge Ram - 05/15/11
Over the last 30 or so years we owned them all fords chevys and dodges, we even had a little mazada diesel. We ran some in the ground, we traded a couple in that we didn,t destroy. No one truck stood out from the rest, they all seemed to have equal down time.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Dodge Ram - 05/15/11
my problem is that ford motor products wouldn't get half the mileage i got on the gmc unless it was deisel. 3 yrs ago camping elk hunt with king ranch 250 4x4 5,000 miles we wake up at 3am to a goofy sound. truck is turned off, no keys in it and windshield washers are running. only way to stopem is to disconnect the battery. several friends had them 02-04, all with repeated big repair bills. if you get one make sure you get the extended warranty.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Dodge Ram - 05/16/11
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Taco or Tundra owner?

I have a 2010 Tacoma TRD. It's my third one. I had a 2000 and a 2006 before this one. There was nothing wrong with either of them, I traded in for newer ones. I put on at least 70 miles a day. I go with the Taco's because I don't need a full size truck. Plus it would be to difficult to access some of my fishing and hunting spots with a full size. They have always gotten me where I wanted to go, and back out.

Bob

Posted By: Redneck Re: Dodge Ram - 05/16/11
Originally Posted by eyeball
my problem is that ford motor products wouldn't get half the mileage i got on the gmc unless it was deisel. 3 yrs ago camping elk hunt with king ranch 250 4x4 5,000 miles we wake up at 3am to a goofy sound. truck is turned off, no keys in it and windshield washers are running. only way to stopem is to disconnect the battery.
One time in '85 the GM was leavin' the dealership about 10:30 pm when he drove by a new GMC Jimmy that he couldn't see through the windows.. He stopped and walked over to it and felt heat .. No keys in it, engine off, but the door locks were literally smoking.. He had to run back inside for the keys to pop the hood and disconnect the battery.. Bottom line - issues like you had ain't limited to Ford..
several friends had them 02-04, all with repeated big repair bills.
You can say that about any/every vehicle manufacturer..
if you get one make sure you get the extended warranty.
On that - absolutely.. Just make sure it's a factory one and not some 3rd-party aftermarket.. With the cost (and complicity) of today's vehicles - especially if you're gonna keep it a long time - an ext. service contract is nearly a must.. I had one on my '04 PSD I just traded.. Used it once - on the front end to replace all the bushings - all I paid was $100.. Ford paid the rest of the nearly $1200 bill..

And yes, I have one on my new '11 PSD..
Posted By: fish head Re: Dodge Ram - 05/16/11
"Just make sure it's a factory one and not some 3rd-party aftermarket"

+ 1

Never ever buy anything other than a FACTORY warranty - no matter what.
© 24hourcampfire