Home
Posted By: 260Remguy Red beer - 05/14/11
I'm drinking a red beer and boy does it taste good!

12 oz. of Bud and 4 oz. of V8 vegatable juice, yum!

This must be a midwest thing, as I never heard of it growing up in NH, but started drinking them when I was stationed at Ft. Riley. I think that I drank my first "red" at the Midway in Detroit, KS, in the fall of 1983. Seems like yesterday, but I can do the math and see that it is almost 28 years in the past.

JEff
Posted By: Teal Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Last red I had -

[Linked Image]
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
that sounds nasty.

May try one tommorrow, Knob Creek tonight..
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
It's also a menopause chick thing.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Fairly popular around here, been lots of places though that I ask for one and they have NO idea what I'm talking about.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'm drinking a red beer and boy does it taste good!

12 oz. of Bud and """4 oz. of V8 vegatable juice, yum!"""

This must be a midwest thing, as I never heard of it growing up in NH, but started drinking them when I was stationed at Ft. Riley. I think that I drank my first "red" at the Midway in Detroit, KS, in the fall of 1983. Seems like yesterday, but I can do the math and see that it is almost 28 years in the past.

JEff
GREW UP DOING that, my new crack is "Bud Light Clamato Chelada" differnt tastie in its own way
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
tried a red beer once about the only beer i didn't like other then some light beers.which were alot like having sex in a canoe ufly close to water
Posted By: T LEE Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
I will stick to the Guinness and failing that Amber Bock thank you.
Posted By: maddog Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Red beer is good stuff! I've drank a bunch of it! Tomato juice cocktail is much better than plain ole mater juice! grin

maddog
If I am drinking mater juice it will be as a Bloody Mary.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Tabasco Bloody Mary mix and beer is a good combo now and then.
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
+1 on the Chelada light or regular. 260 rem guy use the spicy V8 and 5 pimento stuffed green olives. It will make you an Honorary temp South Dakotan. Magnum Man
VODKA, tomato juice & a dash or two of McIlhenny original Tabasco.
Posted By: GeauxLSU Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
I have to say, it would have to be a REALLY bad beer for me to poor tomato juice in it.
If it was bad enough to need tomato juice I think I would just pour it out!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Also good with a dash or 2 of worcestershire sauce.

JEff
Bud isn't a beer that I'd buy to drink by itself. I'm a Leinie drinker!

JEff
Posted By: Odessa Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Just twisted the cap off a Yuengling Black & Tan - good enough to drink all by itself.
Gotta get up and mix up another, BoSox 5 and Yankees 2!

JEff
Posted By: Otter Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
If you think they taste good with V-8 juice, well, try a beer with Mr & Mrs T's Bloody Mary mix (the original, not the "bold & spicy" crap) . . . I got to liking that so much I just started leaving the beer out . . .
Posted By: dale06 Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Drank red beer all through high school and college in Kansas in the 60s and early 70s. That was mostly coors and tomato juice. Lots of taverns had a pitcher of tomato juice on the bar and you could pour into your tap beer. I still like to drink beer that way.
Posted By: Metsamies Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
I was thinking more like this when I saw "Red Beer"
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by Metsamies
I was thinking more like this when I saw "Red Beer"
[Linked Image]

Metsamies, you're killing me! First talking about Leinie's Creamy Dark over on the black beer thread and now bringing up their red and me with neither one on hand. That's what I get for not taking the time to stop for a beer re-supply on the way home from work today.
Yup Leinie's is one of my favs. I would have to say my favorite of all time was Leinie's Northwoods Lager.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
I like that one a lot too. I haven't seen it on the shelf around here though. I was putting away a fair amount of their Select or limited edition stuff with the black and white label earlier this year. Pretty good straight forward beer flavor.
I had the Northwoods back in 2008 they brought it back for a limited time. It was only sold to the the dakotas, MI, WI, and MN.
Posted By: mtmisfit Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by Metsamies
Yup Leinie's is one of my favs. I would have to say my favorite of all time was Leinie's Northwoods Lager.

What I remember most about Leinie's is when I worked in a bar back in the mid 70's it was the only bottled beer that would explode when you were loading it in the cooler.

One would bust and it would be a chain reaction with half a dozen blowing up. Then you'd have to unload the cooler and clean up the mess and start all over. Only beer I've ever seen do that.

BTW Big Eddie Springs is a horse. grin
LOL I have never heard that....sounds like alot of frustration.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
I have to say, it would have to be a REALLY bad beer for me to poor tomato juice in it.

Or near-beer. wink Either way, Bud, Coors, etc qualify. Actually, if your need to add anything to beer, try adding 4 ounces, or so, of Bud or Old Mil to a mug of stout. Can't kill the flavor of real beer with a bit of flavorless, effervescent swill.
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Interesting. We always referred to that as a "red eye" or a pitcher of red eye. I learned to drink it at the Chickenbone Cafe in Burlington, VT, back in the day. The recipe was 1 pitcher domestic draft beer, 1 small can tomato juice, a few shakes of Tabasco and a few shakes of black pepper. Mmm. Been many years since I have had one.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Red beer - 05/14/11

That is what the mater juice is for , skunky , sour beer.
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Red beer made with Snappy Tom was my hang-over cure back when I was single, young, and had hair. cry
Posted By: Hawken Re: Red beer - 05/14/11

He did say it was Bud.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by T LEE
If it was bad enough to need tomato juice I think I would just pour it out!

+1
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Tomato juice is a lot easier and probably cheaper for the bars than actually cleaning the draft lines!

Most people wouldn't believe the crap that can grow in a beer line. Lil 'mater juice and nobody suspects a thing!
Posted By: Jesse_James Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
I like red beers with home made tomato juice. It is hard to beet.
Posted By: win7stw Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Budweiser and Clamato is the ticket
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Ah yes! Red beer, what Ginger the barkeep used to call a transfusion special. I needed a few.
Posted By: croldfort Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
All the little rural KS beer joints had small cans of cold tomato juice for red beer, usually served in the morning, or very late at night. We use V8 in beer at my house, served in a cold glass.
Posted By: Teal Re: Red beer - 05/14/11
Ia m actually very close to getting the gear to brew my own so I don't ever have to dress up beer with tomato juice...
Posted By: Duckdog Re: Red beer - 05/15/11
If you like a bloody marry...I can't imagine you NOT liking a red beer...I love 'em!

Haven't heard of Snappy Tom in forever! Dad used to drink those.

I actually prefer the spicy V-8. Sprinkle a little salt on top...ummm ummm ummm.

The biggest problem I've found with a red beer is...it goes down a little TOO smooth...

Great...Now I'm "thirsty", and somehow I ended up being the chaparone for a graduation party going on upstairs! How the heck that happened I'll never know!
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Red beer - 05/15/11

Knew a guy would buy a Bud and a Guiness Stout with a glass,mix 50/50. To each his own. Bob
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Red beer - 05/15/11
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

Knew a guy would buy a Bud and a Guiness Stout with a glass,mix 50/50. To each his own. Bob

As I said, even swill won't seriously taint a real beer. grin
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Red beer - 05/15/11
I started drinking red beers, Bud & V8, this Spring as a way to get rid of 86 can of Bud that folks didn't drink at a pig roast that I was at. When I was helping to clean up, the guy catering the roast offered it for $30, so I bought it and put it into a refridgerator in the garage, but not the fridge that I keep the good beer in, didn't want to hurt the Leinie's feelings. So I figure that it'll be gone in a month or so, at a rate of 3 cans a day.

I agree with the "biggest problem I've found with red beer is...it goes down a little TOO smooth..." comment. Sometimes 3 becomes 5 before you know it! And I know that you know what I mean!

JEff
Posted By: Jamie Re: Red beer - 05/15/11
My dad drank red beer.I spent many nights on the river after sturgen, he allways mixed tomato juice with his beer. I like beer and I like tomato juice but I dont mix them.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Red beer - 05/15/11
Try the same amount of beer with 4 oz of orange juice. That is a great summer drink. wink
Posted By: RedCherokee Re: Red beer - 05/16/11
1 part Master of Mixes Bloody Mary mix and 2 parts of any light beer like Coors, Natural Light, Miller Light.

Do a few and get back to us...

Think I'll have one for breakfast. Goes perfect with ham and eggs...
Posted By: temmi Re: Red beer - 05/16/11
You see it a lot in the UK

Not all that uncommon here either.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Red beer - 05/16/11
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Red beer made with Snappy Tom was my hang-over cure back when I was single, young, and had hair. cry

Better yet Coors Light and Orange Juice best hangover cure ever
Posted By: bluefish Re: Red beer - 05/16/11
sorry guys - beer and v8? to me, that's like a hot girl with hairy legs. the two just don't go together.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Red beer - 05/16/11
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter

Better yet Coors Light and Orange Juice best hangover cure ever

Coors Light is like club soda without the flavor.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Red beer - 05/16/11
Use to drink red beers the day after tying a good one on the night before. My brother drinks those 16oz Bud Clamato mixed beers like their going out of style, I prefer Killians Irish Red if i'm going to drink red beer.
Posted By: mathman Re: Red beer - 05/16/11
Coors Light is like club soda without the flavor.

Of those two I'll take plain club soda, better flavor and no downside.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Red beer - 05/16/11
Red beer is better with straight tomato juice than with V-8.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Red beer - 05/16/11
Thirty-some years ago I hunted bobwhite quail in Oklahoma with some other Montana guys, one of whom was married to a blond from OK whose father owned a bunch of land. If you ordered a beer in any local bar they automatically poured in some tomato huice. If you you told 'em not to they knew you were from someplace else!

I like red beers on a hot day, as well as beer and lemonade, a German tradition in summer. Leinenkugel's even makes what they call their Summer Shandy, with lemonade in it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Red beer - 05/16/11
beer and lemonade, a German tradition in summer

Some of the places I've been in Munich served radler, but I much prefer straight hefeweizen as a summer beer.
© 24hourcampfire