Home
Throwing this out before I head to work...

It's time for whoever wants to have a get together and visit with Ken Howell to get'r done...

Some informal shooting, eating, comradeship... nothing in stone, throw out some ideas.

We will make arrangements/travel for anyone that wants to fly in to Phx. Motel available and I'll have my trailer/grill. We will have enough vehicles to get everyone around if flying in. Food can be handled easily.

Post your ideas for time or whatever... the week before and after the forth is no go for me, as I will be in Cali and then have my niece here for camping.

Kent
any time for me kent, with the same time restrictions as you but also including the fourth. Haven't missed being in prescott on the fourth other than once or twice in my lifetime.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
any time for me kent, with the same time restrictions as you but also including the fourth. Haven't missed being in prescott on the fourth other than once or twice in my lifetime.

I can't think of a better time than The Fourth to be as far from Prescott as possible.
I am good for whenever I just need a couple of weeks notice really.
Bring your own beer and booze.

I don't think that there's any available here � and if there is, the selection is sure to be very limited. And the nearest alternate source is fifty miles to the west (Springerville, Arizona).
Yeah I think I reall Joe saying it was a dry town.
That doesn't bother me much though.
I'll be in Colorado 6/12-6/23. Other than that, anytime works for me...
Ok, looks like with Ben's, mine and Ron's restrictions, it will be mid July or after. I should have been more clear on mine... I will be in Cali the week of the forth, coming back on the fifth with my niece and then a week of camping.

Without talking with the others yet, preliminaries are...

Ken
Ron
Tom
Greg
Ben
Joe
Paul
Me

All are invited and I will make every attempt to make things a smooth as possible if you are coming from a distance. I am setup to cook for large groups, can transport... ect.

Nothing will be formal, though there is a range or public land to shoot steel.

Kent
I forgot, yes the town is dry... no big deal for me, but I'll likely have a cooler with beer/sodas for those that want it... anything else, bring your own.

Kent
Sounds good to me -- will address the dry issue. Might motor on down to Pietown, too.
There IS a bar about eighteen, twenty miles south of here, but I'm told that it's so pricy that a fifty-mile guzzle safari to Springerville is cheaper than an evening at Snuffy's.
Count me in. This is a rare opportunity and I want to be there. I will be bringing water and sodas and some of whatever else we need.

I can transport folks from Las Cruces vicinity via car pool and also can pick up the survivors who want to fly to New Mexico in these winds. There are several landing strips that might be useful and we don't want you to be afoot if you are headed to Dr. Howell's place.

PM me with special shuttle needs.

Border Doc
Cool Doc!

Anyway we'll let this cook for a couple days so all can notice and have input. Looks like the weekends of July 16... 23... or 30. Let's see what the best consensus is. come early-stay late, no time limit.

This is not a AZ, NM only gig... I live 20 mins from Shy Harbor in Phx and Border Doc can transport in NM. My home is open for layovers.

Kent
up
Wish I could make it. Doubt there is any way but it would be fun.
Originally Posted by DARBY
Sounds good to me -- will address the dry issue. Might motor on down to Pietown, too.

If anyone can address the "dry issue", Joe can!
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
There IS a bar about eighteen, twenty miles south of here, but I'm told that it's so pricy that a fifty-mile guzzle safari to Springerville is cheaper than an evening at Snuffy's.

A little farther but Uncle Bill's is always a good time.
Originally Posted by mudhen

If anyone can address the "dry issue", Joe can!

Hmmmm... He's been know to throw a keg'er at an AA meeting... just say'n...

Kent
Dang. Sounds fun. There's a lot of my bootprints around Quemado... we used to fish Quemado lake for big pink-meat rainbows.

KRP, great of you to put it together and I hope everyone, and especially Dr. Howell, has a great time!!
Ken and I went to the lake just to enjoy a trip, it's close. We didn't fish but I guess there are tiger muskies and trout, possibly some smallmouth.

If the crowd wants to camp we could do it there.

Kent
be a nice outing - i could throw some money in for gas - just depends what the dates are -
did someone really say Musky!?
Just saw this thread - great move. Later in July and almost any of August works here. That time period can make it nicer in these parts because we should have experienced some "monsoon' type rains by then - means much more green stuff and nice high altitude temp swings each day - warm days and good campfire evenings.

As a possible alternative to camping near the lake (can get crowded with unknown variables in Summer) a few miles south there is a smaller and very nice campground in lovely forest very near here - would mean easy access to good water supply, good shooting arrangements, etc. Might even charm Maddy into doing at least one of her very special meals for the gang.

Sounds like fun. Let's find a date that suits as many as possible. Ken will LOVE it.
Originally Posted by azcoues

Yeah - Tiger Muskies (hybrid) were planted in Q Lake a few years ago to eliminate some Koi that were sneaked in - but G&F didn't seem to realize that the Muskies like trout too. Anyway, the Muskies have grown up and are catch/keep in a certain size range. Calculation is that they will die off due to zero reproduction.

Hope you can come - would like to meet you.
One time is as good as another for me as long as I'm still on this side of the crematorium.
One time is as good as another for me as long as I'm still on this side of the crematorium.

In other words either way you'll be there. wink
CCCC is my buddy Paul � pretty good guy (at least good enough for Maddy to feed 'im and let 'im hang around). He can make some good music, too � as long as he doesn't try to warble any solos. Perry Como he ain't. With any luck, we might be able to inveigle our young angel Chant�e to drag some horse hair over taut strands of cat gut to make some sweet notes that'll make you think that you're in a Special Place where you don't deserve to be.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

In other words either way you'll be there. wink

But not quite like the veterinarian who was also a taxidermist �

"Either way, you'll get your dog back."
Originally Posted by azcoues
be a nice outing - i could throw some money in for gas - just depends what the dates are -

You need to be on this one, what date won't work for you?

Late July/early Aug... the choices are weekends of July 23, 30 and Aug 6.

I'm liking the idea of camping and shooting in the forest, it's close to town for those that want to motel, I can setup my TT and base camp for those that just want to bring a cot, I can cook meals there easier. Fishing is close if anyone wants to and the lake is nice. 7800 ft elev and Ponderosa Pine forest with Juniper/Cedar lowlands, elk abundant... watch out driving at night.

If anyone has an objection to any of the dates say so in the next couple days so we can narrow it down.

Quick list who is probably in at this point, hopefully others will add their names.

Me... don't count that against the others...
Ken Howell... he has no choice...
Paul... CCCC
Joe... DARBY
Tom... THOMASMAGNUM
Ron... RoninPhx
Greg and Gracie... Crossfireoops
Ben... Mudhen
Jim... Border Doc
Gary... azcoues

Kent
Man this is going to be a very good time!

Kent I'll plan on bringing that big cooler I took to Greg's place. I'll load it with ice, bottled waters, etc. I also have a big coleman or igloo water water jug that will come.
I'd say I'll bring Joe a Guiness, but after forgetting it for the last shindig.... I'll never live it down. grin

Looking forward to this trip!
If any of you out-of-area folks are interested in attending, there is commuter airline service into Show Low from Phoenix daily. Nice scenic flight, too. It is a two-hour drive to Ken's from here.

Kent, I can't show up during the week of August 12 - 19 -- we're running at Bonneville and I'll be up north. I have also heard-tell of another 'Fire social event up in Wyoming that weekend.
This sounds like a great time,would like to come but i will be in Mi. the month of July.
Kent, as far as target steel goes, .....is USFS cool with steel knockdowns on BLM ?

I'm thinkin' maybe that's worth checking out,...prior to hauling a big jag up there.

I went and did a rough inventory,......as noted there's the .22RF "Buffalo League" steel,.....a LOT of HP Rifle / Pistol "Varmint" knockdowns, and as well some Pig and Turkey "Swingers",.......I can probably finagle/borrow a Ram swinger or two, as well.

Cut down O2 Bottle 'Gongs' are pretty plentiful, and there's a surveyors chain if a guy wanted to lay out a "KD" course. Hell, youze probably have those newfangled "rangefinder" gizmos, for that.

Anyhoo,......given the fire season we've had so far, I'd REALLY like to know that the Forest Cops are cool with a steel shoot.

FWIW we've planted a LOT of steel in Tinder dry conditions and NEVER had a fire started,....here in S.E.

Best Regards,

GTC
Greg,
I don't know the official line on it if there is one even, but I shoot steel at my little spot out back of the Estrellas.
BLM guy has never hassled us about it.
DAMN, another fine gathering I will miss. JUST DAMN!
TLEE, you need to tie up the boat, hop on a plane and get out here. This will be a GREAT time and we need to meet and enjoy you.

Kent, as for dates (see PM) all of August is good and the only "maybe out" weekend in July is the 29-31 period.

Greg, thanks for the steel info. Never have had any issue with using it in the NF here (no BLM land close) and by then some summer rains should make it all nice. Depending on desired target distance, we could shoot steel on my place if all else does not work and we need to do so.

If the nearby campground becomes the choice, there are about 4 or five tables/cookers and nice toilet setup. Need to bring our own water, but my hydrant is less than a mile by road. Solitude here. Very good strolling/hiking just out of camp and some good climbing nearby. Lots of elk, a bear or two and maybe a lion. MexGrayWolves (or a close approximation) always a possibility.

Q Lake is a 10 mile drive. 21 miles to Q with motel/cafe, fuel and small general store with lots of nice racks and skins hanging.

This is NOT a push for said location - for there are TONS of great places to camp in this forest, many easily more remote - but without noted facilities.

Please chime in to Kent with good dates so time can be set.
Kent, let's get dennisinaz included in this thread? I think he would enjoy and maybe interested.
TTT
Originally Posted by CCCC
Kent, let's get dennisinaz included in this thread? I think he would enjoy and maybe interested.

I've PMed him, RR and a few others, but this is not limited to those I think of... all are invited obviously... again airport pickup and ground travel can be arranged by those of us here going. I will have a big camp and food, motel is available. This is as close to a hassle free trip as possible.

Kent
Originally Posted by T LEE
DAMN, another fine gathering I will miss. JUST DAMN!

With the TSA BS I won't fly... actually I haven't since 2000, just how's it's been, everyplace I go is drivable. It would take an emergency to make me... I understand if you won't fly.

If you will, I will pick you up and take care of everything till I drop you off... just an offer.

Kent
Being predominately an archer, I'm going to let Paul figure the shooting faculties and such, I was thinking steel would be easier, less formal but it may not work. All ideas are of course the best idea.

Thanks for all the help guys, keep it up.

Kent
I think we should be fine to shoot steel. If that fails we can always bust distant rocks. Maybe we can talk Ron into schlepping that Thompson?.... grin
Kent I'll be sure to bring along a sixgun for you shoot, I know how you love to shoot them. wink

TLee if there is a will there's a way. It would be a pleasure to have you there.
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM

Kent I'll be sure to bring along a sixgun for you shoot, I know how you love to shoot them. wink

I hit every pebble between me and the steel target that I 'aimed' at... obviously I wasn't aiming at the steel, or I'da hit it...

Always gotta be a Pig F'er in the bunch... or there's just a bunch of 'em.

Kent
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by krp

I've PMed him, RR and a few others, but this is not limited to those I think of... all are invited obviously... again airport pickup and ground travel can be arranged by those of us here going. I will have a big camp and food, motel is available. This is as close to a hassle free trip as possible.

Kent

Make sure GregW ( our new Tucsonan) is in the loop .

GTC
PM sent to him now!
Great guy. It'd be good to have him there for sure.
I thank all for the offers of kindness but it just ain't to be for me, much to MY loss.
Well we'll toast to your honor!
But by missing out you'll not be able to be called pig f'er...
Being called pig f'er is a big compliment among the desert rat people you know wink
I know, much to my everlasting chagrin! smile smile smile Guess I have to settle for being a retired Pride Integrity Guts.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

GTC

Already done... and a few others.

What about Fred?

Kent
I think that suites you just fine sir!
grin
We need to invite that crusty, grumpy old dude from Show Low!

oh wait.... grin Joe already said he is going. grin
Mr Lee, if'n you don't come along vol'in'terry'lee... we's send'n this guy to kidnap you's...

[Linked Image]
Ahhhh who invited Lee24?....
Greg'll take getting his love back anyway he can... just say'n...

I thought it was Old'm that stoled'm...

The look on the sheep's face on the couch is classic...

Kent
Shoot that SOB on sight, repeatedly!
If'n I was you, I'd be afeared... mightily afeared...

Kent
Not me, I got me a Colt's 1908 Vest pocket .25! smile smile smile
You're probably safe, he's left FL for WY already... had all those layaway's to ship out...

but he'll be baaak...

Kent
I'll set out the claymores again in the morning then! smile smile
Originally Posted by krp
Mr Lee, if'n you don't come along vol'in'terry'lee... we's send'n this guy to kidnap you's...

[Linked Image]

Sure looks a lot like like goodiewrench/BossLady/Karen from here...
up
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

GTC

Already done... and a few others.

What about Fred?

Kent

Well, he'll be hearing about alla' this,.....Hope he'll be there.

GTC
Let me know when it is, the pop-up needs a road trip. I'm in Durango-----NM is doable. CB
Ok, with Paul's restriction it will either be July 23 or Aug 6... let's keep this open for awhile.

Originally Posted by colorado bob
Let me know when it is, the pop-up needs a road trip. I'm in Durango-----NM is doable. CB

Fantastic Bob, by the way I love Durango, my great grandparents are buried there, I used to own a lot in Forest Lakes when I worked in the NM gas fields early 80s, never built though.

Any suggestions welcome.

Kent
The 23rd of July works best for me. My son's birthday is August 5th so we were planning his birthday for that Saturday the 6th.
Bump
Ok, looks like the 23rd of july unless we have to make it the 13th of aug, that's getting close to archery deer and lope here so would rather not, but will not say no to that date if it works for more people.

Keep up the dialogue so we can firm this up.

Kent
Bump again
The 23rd is during Cheyenne Frontier Days, which is MUCH more fun when your a$$,...uhh, seat,..uhh, bottom, is behind the chutes or on the rail.

I will be in Wyoming for our class reunion, complete with VIP pass, and I really don't want to miss either event. Let's see how dates are working for others also.
Ok... Aug 13th... let's see how this works...

Keep the comments coming...

Kent
The 13th of August should work fine for me.
Anyone else?
August 13 is fine as well.
At my age, I don't plan that far ahead--but if that is the date, I will put it on the calendar and deflect anything other than life and death issues (depending on whose life or death is at issue)...
Originally Posted by mudhen
At my age, I don't plan that far ahead--but if that is the date, I will put it on the calendar and deflect anything other than life and death issues (depending on whose life or death is at issue)...

Me neither lol, that's like forever away... but so far it's looking good.

Kent
I will put that on my Calender.
before we get to excited we have to reaccess... rereading this tread, Joe can't do the 13th.

The question is, how many have an issue with missing the archery deer opener or possibly kids starting school issues? If we have it on the 20th of aug.

Kent
Kent, I am good any weekend in August and if July 29-31 is best for everyone else, make that the time and I will have to see what develops. Looking forward to this.
I'm good for Aug 20th.

How about the rest of ya? yea or nay.

Kent

Kent, I won't be back by the 20th unless something catastrophic happens to our equipment. There is also a possibility the salt will be too wet from this year's record run-off.

But - if I cannot make it, I am sure all of you remember all my well-told stories from the last time anyway -- don't have any new ones unless I make some up cool. My not being there is not a show-stopper for the rest of you.
Well darn... of course the easy way didn't work... That's my luck... lol

All dates are back on the table.

I need those 'for sure' coming to answer 'NO' to the dates you absolutely can't come on. Some of us may be there longer than just the weekend if 'during the week only' works for some.

If there is no consensus I will add the least affecting dates in a hat and pick one, that's the best I can do.

July 9
July 16
July 23
July 30
Aug 6
Aug 13
Aug 20
Aug 27

I'll go first...

July 9...... NO
July 16
July 23
July 30
Aug 6
Aug 13
Aug 20
Aug 27

Thanks

Kent

July 9
July 16
July 23
July 30
Aug 6..... NO
Aug 13
Aug 20
Aug 27

Sorry it took me so long to get to this today. Been busy hell at work prepping for a CEO visit.

If there is no consensus I will add the least affecting dates in a hat and pick one, that's the best I can do.

July 9
July 16
July 23.......No
July 30
Aug 6 ........No
Aug 13
Aug 20
Aug 27

Red No means a conflict for me. All other dates open on my dance card.
Thanks guys,

Kent
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Sorry- Paul and Kent- been off the grid for a week in Havasupai. Let me know when, just don't do it after the deer/bear openers start or I will be hunting.

I hope the fire doesn't mess all this up!
up
I am outa Bloomfield, would love to TT to Quemado lake for this. Sounds like a great time-a-comin. Most all your dates are open for me as long as I know a couple weeks in advance. KDJ
I will make arrangements to do any date - let's get 'er picked so we can plan the rest of the summer stuff.
I'm gonna try and make this one - I'll probably bring a pole - just in case -

Well, after going through all the PMs new and old, none of the Aug dates work for most of the members. And July 16th is the date with no negatives for July attendees.

So it will be the weekend of July 16th. I will be there a few days early to setup and stay a few days later for those wanting to stay longer. So come early, stay late if you want.

I'll start a new thread for all suggestions on activities and such.

Thank you

Kent
Thanks to Rick for the sticky here's some reposts and updates...

July 16th 2011

The date is set, now we need to work the details.

I have a 34ft TT and canopy, can bring a couple tents if there are those that want to bring a cot and bag. So we will have a 'base'. I have cooking equipment including eating ware and can supply food for those eating there. You can bring as little or much as you want, I just need to preplan meals.

There is a Motel and restaurant combo in Quemado, NM. Also a couple gas stations/small groceries.

Ken Howell lives in Quemado and will be a treat to visit with for all. Hopefully the rains come so we can have a good shoot out in the forest. Though I do know there is some kind of range out behind town if that's our last resort, not sure how crowded it gets if at all, not many people in Quemado and no signal lights. Fishing lake close.

Paul will be taking care of some of these issues, as he lives close.

I will be getting there probably Wed and staying as long as there is those that want to, so it's not restricted to just the weekend.

I'll get up more specifics of where Quemado is and Motel info the next few days. Looks like we will have a good crowd of miscreants and a ton of fun.

Discuss any and all aspects here.

General info... here's the motel, I've eaten at the restaurant and it's good... of course my food will be better,lol. Seems nice, not a flea bag.

Largo Motel & Cafe
Highway 60, Quemado, NM 87829 (575) 773-4686 ‎

Quemado is 49 miles east of Springerville, Az.

About 150 miles from Albuquerque, 250 from the Phx area and 290 from Tucson.

Depending on how many camping or moteling will dictate where I setup. So speak up on your intentions.

Try to indicate which days you plan to be there and we will attempt to setup carpools from destinations. Also airport pickup.

I believe fishing licenses are available at the store.

Any other questions I'm not thinking of just pipe up.

As of now we have 15 tentative yes's and some maybe's...

These fires have got us thinking of other things right now but wanted to renew this thought.

Kent

sounds like a plan!
Thanks, for the summary Kent - very timely and helpful. Thanks, too, to Mr. Bin for the sticky.

Should be a fine gathering with great spirit and diverse fun. Now, if we can just get some rain beforehand - would help with the call on the camp and the activities. Guys, please let Kent know soon how you will be lodged - motel, campsite, need tent, etc.
If you have a tent and would consider pitching it in my yard, bring it. Or UPS or FedEx it to 17 Church Street (87829) ahead of time. My 1990 Silverado 4x4 will be long gone by then, and there's already plenty of room with it still here now.

Same also goes for a travel trailer or two. And there is, of course, no shortage of other good sites.

Full access to two bathrooms, of course, and I have a nice cot, a couple of foam ground pads, two sleeping bags, and beaucoup de "people" bedding.

And obviously, all the above applies to any date, 24-7-365.
Same plans here. I'll be heading up in the small hours Saturday A.M. and staying through mid-day Sunday.
I am driving up with azcoues in my truck, we likely have room for one more comfortably if someone needs a ride.

Kent I am still planning on bring up the big cooler, ice drinks, soda, water, some beer etc. I'll cook a big pot of hocks and beans again. I am sure I'll think of some other stuff to bring.
Oh yeah I also have my 5 gal igloo water thing full of water and ice.
Cool, I'll have food and plan to bring ribeyes for sat night as that is the evening we will have the most people, your beans will go great then. I'll have breakfast stuff and hotdogs/sandwich items for other times.

Kent
Will do up a couple of pork shoulders in the smoker and bring over slaw, rolls et cetera.

Hope Ben brings some green chili treats...hint... cool

Tom, I'll bring my own Guinness rather than count on you. I am sure you understand.

Looks like the fire is headed that way - bet Paul is busy --
Will do up a couple of pork shoulders in the smoker and bring over slaw, rolls et cetera.

Hope Ben brings some green chili treats...hint... cool

Tom, I'll bring my own Guinness rather than count on you. I am sure you understand.

Looks like the fire is headed that way - bet Paul is busy --

Yep, we will have some of those, I promise!

Never going to live that down....
grin
I should be leaving early in the AM on saturday and staying threw sunday as well. Whats the right stuff to bring to help out? The last thing i want to be is a free loader! Ice? Coolers?? Some extra Oryx burger that i have laying around in the freezer???

Hope some one there has a way with a muzzleloader so they can help me tune this Triumph up before my hunt down there in october. I was lucky enough to draw deer and elk tags for that unit.

V/r
Jon
Jon, there should be more than one guy that can help get that m'loader ready. For openers, what powder and type of bullet/sabot will you be using? If you have not yet made those decisions, there may be some pre-advice.
Cool Jon, if Paul (CCCC) likes ya, he may let you lounge in his sunroom until you see one you like, then walk onto the back porch and shoot one...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
ok..... Paul, what kinda beer do you like??? haha
I truly wish I were about 2,000 miles closer and had some extra bucks. I would LOVE to be there. Ken,take care of you, enjoy the comoradery and friendship,, Clif
I'm leaving for about a week. all is still on schedule and I will stress more details when I get back. Pretty much I will have a camp with food and such, so it will be easy for everyone to just show up with little hassle. We will shoot somewhere (at the range if necessary) depending on the fire danger. Mostly it will be visiting... telling Lies and such...

Later

Kent
hope yacatch a few smallies ! its about that time - high country cool days - get an afternoon rain everyday -

hopefully ! make that trip in the near future!
Hey Gary I just got in and saw the voicemail from you.
I'll give you shout tomorrow evening.
Hi Jon - no beer required. The picture from Kent is just the way it is here.

Right now this place is overrun with elk because most of the forest is so dry/dead and our pasture still has some decent grass - and a nice spring nearby close to the aforementioned campground.

Once the rain starts, the elk will disperse, but we seem always to have some right here.

Looking forward to meeting you.
Looks like we will have the next eight days in a monsoonal flow, needed moisture coming. Hopefully it opens up all the forest to us.

No matter where we camp, Ken's place is the logical first stop when arriving in Quemado, I'll take those staying at the camp out from there.

Quemado is small, you can drive every street there in 5 mins, so Ken's is easy to find.

17 Church Street, Quemado, NM (87829)

Church is off HWY 260 straight across from the post office, turn north and Ken's is down a block and has the big bus in the front yard... can't miss it... lol

Kent
Just saw on Az Central the temperature inside Tent City was 145 (dry heat my arse..)on Saturday -- Sheriff Joe thoughtfully passed out 6 oz cups of ice -- who says he is mean and insensitive --- ?

Hey, why don't some of you brain-cooked Valley Boys go offer some comfort to those poor inmates. Fans, air conditioners, beers or something. laugh
A couple of years ago my buddy's radio show went and ate ice cream and ICEEs in front of one of the chain gangs. It was rather priceless
Ok, anyone that didn't get a pm and plan on coming, let me know so I can forward contact info and directions.

Also if you are on the fence of coming... I heard mudhen is bringing his bodypaint and if you want him to paint your nipples... and run around like a hippy... I guess it's OK...

Kent
As an additional incentive, we'll try to get Paul to do his soulful accompanied rendition of the catchy J G Wentworth ditty "I have a structured settlement but I Need Cash NOW - " and maybe even have Tom do the Macarena. This is not to be missed... grin grin
As an additional incentive, we'll try to get Paul to do his soulful accompanied rendition of the catchy J G Wentworth ditty "I have a structured settlement but I Need Cash NOW - " and maybe even have Tom do the Macarena. This is not to be missed... grin grin

Whoooooeee!!! Joe is on the sauce tonight grin

Macawhaaaazitt?.... I DO have a Mac-11 if that counts for anything?
Hi Kent - been off-line due to fire and weather issues with DSL - now fixed. Starting to get some moisture - need it to keep goin.

There is a note to you in the PM group. Maybe you have settled on the campsite, eh ???

Please send me the "directions, etc." data so I am up to date. Thanks for your efforts.

CCCC
Glad you're back on line... It'll be wed before I get up there and find a spot, hopefully the moisture continues and opens all possibilities by then.

Kent
Ok, done loading... geeze I'll look like 'The Grapes of Wrath'... or the Beverly hillbillies... rolling down the way.

Shower and kiss the wife goodbye and I'm headed.

See you degenerates there, I'll post the final info tomorrow when we've settled.

Adios' amigos...

Kent
I am OFFICIALLY jealous and saddened I am unable to make this momentous occasion.

Y'all have a great time and tip at least one for me.

TAKE AND POST LOTSA PICTURES DAMMIT!
Originally Posted by T LEE
I am OFFICIALLY jealous and saddened I am unable to make this momentous occasion.

Y'all have a great time and tip at least one for me.

TAKE AND POST LOTSA PICTURES DAMMIT!

you shure about that? The word degenerate certainly works.
I am sure, I really wanted to make this one but commitments to the grand boys because of work & training schedules of their parents were one of a multitude of things precluding it.
Regrets sent to T Lee.

That would be a very long drive, so I'll bring an extra lawn chair that can be ceremoniously toasted.
TLee, you'll be missed for certain. That said I am sure this is one in the course of many get togethers that folks around here will be stringing together.

We'll get you here eventually, and when we do look out!{especially for that Darby fellow}grin
Ok... many miles and lot'sa looking... because of the restriction of 'NO' gas grills/stoves unless a official campground... we have to camp in a campground and i've checked them all. I choose the Cove campground at Quemado lake. It is free, basically just a big common area that we can get multiple trailers in, next to the water and has bathrooms. It's easy to find... Hwy 32 just a couple hundred yds west of the Largo hotel. Head south to the Quemado lake turnoff, about 14 miles. Turn east, 4 miles to the lake and Cove is the first campground with a big sign.

The others are seperate sites that have a fee.

For shooting, there is a two track not far from Hwy 32 on the lake rd, that goes into a nice spot.

I was hoping to buy 'Taylor' sweet corn, grown up by Showlow, but couldn't find any at the couple places I checked. Usually it's in all the stores... Anyway, I was unable to get corn, as all that was available was really crappy looking stuff at safeway in Springerville. If you guys want corn on the cob, you'll need to designate someone to get some, otherwise we can make baked potatoes, no problem.

When coming to Ken's, there are no street signs, so remember, Church is across from the post office, next to the abandoned gas station... of course there are only 4 or 5 streets in Quemado and you can't not find his house if you just drove every road.

I have no cell service at the lake... if you can't get ahold of me, call Ken.

I've already seen elk and antelope in the area.

Kent
Packing up the pickup now.... I'll try to find some Corn here in ABQ. Shouldnt be a problem. Is the fishing decent?? Should i bring the flyrod?
I hear they have good sized tiger muskie in the lake...
Not sure what else though.
Loaded up and headed out. If I'm not there when you get there, call for help! See y'all in a few...
Having a great time. Only one casualty so far

Who shall remain nameless until the rest of the weasels make it their home computers!
You should post a photo and then all will know. I will break out my camera later and do some downloading. Too tired right now.
I will post some photos, but don't have that particular one in my camera.
Here are a few.

[Linked Image]

Here is the PA kid

[Linked Image]

We were shooting to this cliff

[Linked Image]

And this is what held me up on the way home

[Linked Image]
More pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A few more...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a few more:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You guys now OFFICIALLY SUCK in my book! smile smile smile

DAMN! Looks like a good time fellas.
Sixteen super-nice people (except for one useless ol' fossil), ranging in age from two (?) to eighty enjoyed warm fellowship over good grub that ranged from custom-grilled rib-eye steaks to fresh home-made banana bread (still hot from the oven!). There was just enough of a light sprinkle to "settle the dust" and just enough breeze to keep us all cool � and to keep the bugs away. We couldn't shoot at the camp ground, so the local prairie dog was safe � free to wonder who that crazy crowd was. But about three miles away, we were able to shoot � legally and in complete privacy � for hours � all to ourselves. The roarers ranged from my 12-inch .357 Magnum revolver to a couple of muzzle-loaders, a shotgun, and a .45-70 Contender pistol.

Just a handful of us even knew, before this event, that there was such a wonderful place as Quemado Lake in this nape of the woods. One of the fellows very wisely suggested that we ought to get together like this, here, again and again � that this Campfire get-together should be just the first of many.

I hope so!

Another fellow told me that he hadn't known that Quemado Lake existed and was planning to come back, later, with his family, for a longer visit.

Several people have asked about fishing in Quemado Lake. I'm not a fisherman, so I haven't been curious about that. But I checked. The official word is that there's catch-and-release fishing for tiger muskies. This official description tells more �

New Mexico's Quemado Lake
(Information provided by USDA Forest Service, edited for punctuation and reformatted for easier reading by Ken Howell)

The 800-acre Quemado Lake Recreation Area is approximately 20 miles south of Quemado. The recreation area includes the 131-acre man-made trout lake with two ADA fishing piers, two boat ramps, seven developed camp grounds, one primitive camp ground, and links to more than seven miles of hiking trails. The lake is nestled between pi�on-juniper woodlands and pine forests at an elevation of 7,860 feet. Quemado is stocked with rainbow trout in fall, winter, and spring months. The lake offers year-round trout fishing and warm-water fishing for channel catfish and small-mouth bass during the summer months.

� Juniper camp ground, open from May to October, offers 18 RV spaces with water and electrical hookups for $15/day and 18 single-family sites for $10/day.

� Pi�on camp ground, open from May to October, offers 23 single-family sites for $6/day. Reservations are taken for 2 group sites at Pinon for $35/day for a 30-person site or $55/day for a 75-person site.

�Juniper and Pi�on are open from May 1 to September 30.

� Free primitive camping with vault toilets is available in the Cove and El Caso camp grounds. Boat use is restricted to oars or electric motors. (The Campfire crowd gathered at the Cove camp ground. KEH)

Quemado Lake Overlook Trail leads through stands of ponderosa pines and dead-ends at a rock outcrop that overlooks the lake. A bench along the trail is available for resting and lake viewing. From the overlook, panoramic views of El Caso Peak, Castle Rock, and Quemado Lake provide excellent photographic opportunities. The trail connects to two additional trails that access El Caso Lookout and Sawmill Canyon for extended hiking. Many species of birds inhabit the area.

Directions
From Quemado, travel west on Highway 60 for 0.5 mile. Turn south on Highway 32 and travel 16 miles to Highway 103.

The lake is four miles from Highway 103. Highway 103 continues beyond the lake.

The highlight of the get-together was, of course, that so many of us came to know nice people as "Gary" "Dennis," and "Ben," instead of mysterious on-screen "handles" like j48j48, CCCC, and krp.

Oh, to be alive about this time next year, for Campfire-Quemado Get-Together II! Next year, I hope, the crowd will be several good guys larger (a few certain ones in particular, whom we really missed!).

For more information, Google or Bing "Quemado Lake" and "Quemado Lake campgrounds."
Dennis you must have made it through SRC right after us...
When we were passing they were just spreading the kitty litter on that wreck. Glad we made it through so the wrecker could upright that rig.

Pics to come momentarily.
You forgot J48's wife's cherry pie- damn it was good!

Couple more pics:

Kent with the HUGE revolver.

[Linked Image]

and the "Kid"

[Linked Image]
Pics
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sunrise in Quemado
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Driving to Quemado Lake
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The "vanishing" elk....
I stopped counting at roughly 170.
Others who went out didn't see any(old eyes grin )

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hey look more elk...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Had a great time guys! Thanks for the great company! I was able to come home and get plenty of sleep for the night ahead!
John you are a great guy, and have a great sense of humor...
You have to around these guys. grin
Nice shootin' kid. Can't wait to see you smoke a sheep with that 6' long flintlock.
There've been elk in my front yard (in town!). I didn't see 'em � they left their "calling cards." I've seen antelope in town, too.
and more elk
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
More gratuitous elk shots for those who doubted this a.m.
(darby)..... grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Quemado Lake as seen from our campsite

[Linked Image]

Border Doc with one of his Cowboy (SASS) carbines.

[Linked Image]

'da Man

[Linked Image]
The MOST unfortunate event of the weekend was a fellow who shall remain nameless catching "the gay"
Pink flannel
[Linked Image]
Choice of footwear
[Linked Image]
...sorry man they put me up to it. laugh

On the way out from the lake
[Linked Image]

I thought you were a good guy, Tom. The ladys happen to love that shirt.
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
I thought you were a good guy, Tom. The ladys happen to love that shirt.

He is a good guy, just a little devious!
Maybe a tad....
John I was just grateful to have a new and younger guy for these old buzzards to bust balls on! grin
Man, I wish I had been able to come! I will certainly make next year's gathering a top priority!

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the notes!

Ed
Finally got home... Anyway, I want to thank my old friends...

Tom
Joe
Ken
Paul
Ben
Gary
Dennis
Ron

New friends...

Kelly and his great family
Jim
Rick

and last but not least... a young service man that took the initiative to come down and hang out with old codgers he had never met before. He's got the makings and desire to be a top hunter/shooter... It was an absolute pleasure meeting you Jon... Gay footy things or not...

Thanks guys and gals, hope to see you all again...

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
� Gay footy things or not. �

I wasn't gonna say anything about those � struck speechless at the time and of course courteous by nature. But now I gotta add that I can't imagine the weird flights of insane imagination that led somebody to design such weird stuff �

� let alone anybody who'd manufacture and market 'em �

� and least of all anybody who'd wear 'em � even in private � let alone where anybody (especially real men) could see.

They remind me of those old paintings that show men of those days wearing fancy tailored pants with exterior pouches for their penises and scrotums. (Is that going to be the next modern style break-through?) cry

I wear disposable diapers � but I've got good, legitimate though regrettable and irremediable reasons , and I don't flaunt 'em.

Jon, I'm happy that your weird footy things didn't prove to be accurate indications of just who you are! Further proof that Dad was right � "no single characteristic of a person is the totality of that person." Glad to include you in our bunch! (I was delighted to see how quickly, easily, warmly, and totally our crowd of old farts included you as one of us.)

Thanks for that lovely summary, Dr. Howell.

Man, what good folks and good fun!

I also have photos and will post & share a bit later. I arrived home safely, put away the guns and got some sleep.

This sort of enjoyment and fellowship should not have to wait 12 months for the first re-enactment. Obviously, we won't have to twist any arms on the attendees, but there were others who couldn't make it this time.

It could get bigger and better, but this Quemado Gathering I (QG I) has set the bar pretty high.

Muchas gracias, amigos!
Sure glad Y'all had such a good meet, great pictures of Ken, good to see him out in the daylight!
Thanks again guys! At work last night i was talking to my co-workers and got to listen about how they got to the next 'level' in Call of Duty or World of Warcraft. I felt honored while telling them my story about camping in gods country with a wealth of outdoors/gun knowledge, as i sat, soaking it up like a sponge. These people are, of course, the same airmen from all over the country that bitch and moan about Albuquerque and how bad it is but have never made it out of Bernelillo County.... they dont know what they're missing.

And BTW....I just got done going for a run in 'gay foot things'.... they sure are comfortable!

I'll be camped out in the middle of the woods somewhere in that area from 21 Oct to 3 Nov.... if anyone is up for a little get together then, I'm down! Plus, some of you guys seem alot better at spotting game than me!

Dennis, I'm enjoying one of those Kilt Lifter's that you gave me now, they sure are good! The neighbors sure do look at you wierd when you have one at 0800 though!
Two suggestions �

� Kent put a lot into our shindig. And he isn't a financial peer of Bill Gates or George Soros. So if some of you want to pitch-in to take some of the load off Kent's wallet, you can send whatever you wish to me (especially if you prefer to do so anonymously), and I'll send it on to Kent.

� More than one of our beloved Campfellows wanted to join us but were too far away. A couple of 'em told me that their schedules would stand it but their budgets wouldn't. When I mentioned this to some of the guys, one said "I wish [he'd/she'd] said something to me! I'd've sent [him/her] an airline ticket!" And a couple of the others said "So would I!"

So let's consider establishing a special "Come join us" fund for sponsoring a fellow or fellows whom we'd especially like to have with us � like TLEE, Boggy Creek Ranger, Shooting Lady, Hound Girl, for example. We should pick three guys to handle the fund (I suggest any three of the following, for example � CCCC, krp, Border Doc, THOMASMAGNUM, DARBY � to govern the details, with the choice of invitee to be decided by the other participants' nomination and vote).

How much do you reckon that we could manage to put into such a fund, with the amount of each contribution to be up to the donor (IOW, no mandatory amount)?

What do you think of the idea?

Any pertinent suggestion or comment to add?
I would chip in even if I don't get to come to the next one. I would have tried this year but for the knee surgery. miles
Jim- I know you took a lot of pics- let's see some of them. Especially the fotografia sangrienta
I'm good for the event, some put some dollars toward my 'Jr deer hunt camp' food fund... don't send Ken money for me.

I've also started a separate thread, if you could post pictures/response there... I feel many pass over the sticky threads without looking by habit... I know I do for the other sticky threads.

Thanks

Kent
Money is not my problem Ken,it is timing with family duty necessarily coming first before my wanderlust.

Thank you for thinking of me.
Looks like a great time!

Howdy. . .

Better late than out of focus.
Here are some of the Quemado photos. My youngest son was VERY helpful in getting these into the Campfire discussion.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a few more.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow , really nice bull. Where did you find him Jim?

I reckon that will set young Mr. Graham spinnning!!
No way.... out of velvet already??? Too Green in that area for this to be recent.
Jon, you are sharp to analyze and question that pic. But,some regular rains have made it quite green here now (greener than that pic) and the velvet is starting to break down on the bigger ones now.

The bull in that pic looks about like some hanging out between here and Jewett Gap, and two were feeding out behind our place last evening after the rain. They are going to start splitting up and moving out of this "busier" locale as the rut comes on and the bow hunters begin to arrive - just makes the hunt more interesting.
Paul, My muzzleloader deer hunt will be 9/24-9/30. I hope to get one weekend to come down there to scout. Will give you a shout when I know which weekend. I would like my son-in-law and my neighbor Tom to meet you, if they can come down to scout with me. By the way, Jon, good luck on all your hunts, especially the sheep hunt, you lucky dog!

Hi J48.
Will you be scouting in August, or September? It would be great to meet your son-in-law and neighbor, and I hope it works out.

As it turns out, weekends in Sept. have gotten crowded. 9-11 we will have relatives from Pennsylvania all over our place and 16-18 we will have about 20 of my former students here. I will not be able to break away for any scouting either weekend, but you are more than welcome to come here to chat about the area, look over some maps, meet your folks, etc.

Labor Day weekend will be better, although I do have to be down in Reserve early on Saturday 9/3.

Keep in touch,
Paul

Hey JON - when ya got a "lot" of time and want info on coues just go to utube and type coues thousands of videos and extras to watch
You guys are good observers.

That is a bull from west of Durango CO from Aug/Sep of 2009, and I had a cow license! I just threw that photo in to get your blood pumping.

Best wishes in autumn adventures.
Here's to a bigger crowd and even more fun 13�15 July 2012!

Come meet a lot of fine folks and one totally useless ol' fossil!

Ladies 'n' chillun especially welcome!
© 24hourcampfire