-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
be a nice outing - i could throw some money in for gas - just depends what the dates are -
did someone really say Musky!?

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just saw this thread - great move. Later in July and almost any of August works here. That time period can make it nicer in these parts because we should have experienced some "monsoon' type rains by then - means much more green stuff and nice high altitude temp swings each day - warm days and good campfire evenings.

As a possible alternative to camping near the lake (can get crowded with unknown variables in Summer) a few miles south there is a smaller and very nice campground in lovely forest very near here - would mean easy access to good water supply, good shooting arrangements, etc. Might even charm Maddy into doing at least one of her very special meals for the gang.

Sounds like fun. Let's find a date that suits as many as possible. Ken will LOVE it.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by azcoues

Yeah - Tiger Muskies (hybrid) were planted in Q Lake a few years ago to eliminate some Koi that were sneaked in - but G&F didn't seem to realize that the Muskies like trout too. Anyway, the Muskies have grown up and are catch/keep in a certain size range. Calculation is that they will die off due to zero reproduction.

Hope you can come - would like to meet you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One time is as good as another for me as long as I'm still on this side of the crematorium.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
One time is as good as another for me as long as I'm still on this side of the crematorium.

In other words either way you'll be there. wink

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CCCC is my buddy Paul � pretty good guy (at least good enough for Maddy to feed 'im and let 'im hang around). He can make some good music, too � as long as he doesn't try to warble any solos. Perry Como he ain't. With any luck, we might be able to inveigle our young angel Chant�e to drag some horse hair over taut strands of cat gut to make some sweet notes that'll make you think that you're in a Special Place where you don't deserve to be.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

In other words either way you'll be there. wink

But not quite like the veterinarian who was also a taxidermist �

"Either way, you'll get your dog back."

"Good enough" isn't.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by azcoues
be a nice outing - i could throw some money in for gas - just depends what the dates are -

You need to be on this one, what date won't work for you?

Late July/early Aug... the choices are weekends of July 23, 30 and Aug 6.

I'm liking the idea of camping and shooting in the forest, it's close to town for those that want to motel, I can setup my TT and base camp for those that just want to bring a cot, I can cook meals there easier. Fishing is close if anyone wants to and the lake is nice. 7800 ft elev and Ponderosa Pine forest with Juniper/Cedar lowlands, elk abundant... watch out driving at night.

If anyone has an objection to any of the dates say so in the next couple days so we can narrow it down.

Quick list who is probably in at this point, hopefully others will add their names.

Me... don't count that against the others...
Ken Howell... he has no choice...
Paul... CCCC
Joe... DARBY
Tom... THOMASMAGNUM
Ron... RoninPhx
Greg and Gracie... Crossfireoops
Ben... Mudhen
Jim... Border Doc
Gary... azcoues

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man this is going to be a very good time!

Kent I'll plan on bringing that big cooler I took to Greg's place. I'll load it with ice, bottled waters, etc. I also have a big coleman or igloo water water jug that will come.
I'd say I'll bring Joe a Guiness, but after forgetting it for the last shindig.... I'll never live it down. grin

Looking forward to this trip!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If any of you out-of-area folks are interested in attending, there is commuter airline service into Show Low from Phoenix daily. Nice scenic flight, too. It is a two-hour drive to Ken's from here.

Kent, I can't show up during the week of August 12 - 19 -- we're running at Bonneville and I'll be up north. I have also heard-tell of another 'Fire social event up in Wyoming that weekend.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This sounds like a great time,would like to come but i will be in Mi. the month of July.

Run for your life,surrender or stand up and fight!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kent, as far as target steel goes, .....is USFS cool with steel knockdowns on BLM ?

I'm thinkin' maybe that's worth checking out,...prior to hauling a big jag up there.

I went and did a rough inventory,......as noted there's the .22RF "Buffalo League" steel,.....a LOT of HP Rifle / Pistol "Varmint" knockdowns, and as well some Pig and Turkey "Swingers",.......I can probably finagle/borrow a Ram swinger or two, as well.

Cut down O2 Bottle 'Gongs' are pretty plentiful, and there's a surveyors chain if a guy wanted to lay out a "KD" course. Hell, youze probably have those newfangled "rangefinder" gizmos, for that.

Anyhoo,......given the fire season we've had so far, I'd REALLY like to know that the Forest Cops are cool with a steel shoot.

FWIW we've planted a LOT of steel in Tinder dry conditions and NEVER had a fire started,....here in S.E.

Best Regards,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greg,
I don't know the official line on it if there is one even, but I shoot steel at my little spot out back of the Estrellas.
BLM guy has never hassled us about it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DAMN, another fine gathering I will miss. JUST DAMN!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TLEE, you need to tie up the boat, hop on a plane and get out here. This will be a GREAT time and we need to meet and enjoy you.

Kent, as for dates (see PM) all of August is good and the only "maybe out" weekend in July is the 29-31 period.

Greg, thanks for the steel info. Never have had any issue with using it in the NF here (no BLM land close) and by then some summer rains should make it all nice. Depending on desired target distance, we could shoot steel on my place if all else does not work and we need to do so.

If the nearby campground becomes the choice, there are about 4 or five tables/cookers and nice toilet setup. Need to bring our own water, but my hydrant is less than a mile by road. Solitude here. Very good strolling/hiking just out of camp and some good climbing nearby. Lots of elk, a bear or two and maybe a lion. MexGrayWolves (or a close approximation) always a possibility.

Q Lake is a 10 mile drive. 21 miles to Q with motel/cafe, fuel and small general store with lots of nice racks and skins hanging.

This is NOT a push for said location - for there are TONS of great places to camp in this forest, many easily more remote - but without noted facilities.

Please chime in to Kent with good dates so time can be set.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kent, let's get dennisinaz included in this thread? I think he would enjoy and maybe interested.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TTT

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by CCCC
Kent, let's get dennisinaz included in this thread? I think he would enjoy and maybe interested.

I've PMed him, RR and a few others, but this is not limited to those I think of... all are invited obviously... again airport pickup and ground travel can be arranged by those of us here going. I will have a big camp and food, motel is available. This is as close to a hassle free trip as possible.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by T LEE
DAMN, another fine gathering I will miss. JUST DAMN!

With the TSA BS I won't fly... actually I haven't since 2000, just how's it's been, everyplace I go is drivable. It would take an emergency to make me... I understand if you won't fly.

If you will, I will pick you up and take care of everything till I drop you off... just an offer.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Being predominately an archer, I'm going to let Paul figure the shooting faculties and such, I was thinking steel would be easier, less formal but it may not work. All ideas are of course the best idea.

Thanks for all the help guys, keep it up.

Kent

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,024
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.