Home
I have been watching the Gold Rush show. Anyone would have to be an idiot to believe anything that Dakota Fred has to say. I think he enjoyed telling the Hoffmans to hit the road. He is arrogant on a level very few people manage to get to.
I wouldn't get too upset about anything on that trumped up, staged for TV show- It's about as real as pro wrestling! smile
Seriously, with all the amazing shows on right now, how does anyone have the time or inclination to watch these "reality" shows?
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Seriously, with all the amazing shows on right now, how does anyone have the time or inclination to watch these "reality" shows?

Amazing shows? All I'm seeing these days on the tube is total crap. frown
Paul B.
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Justified
Walking Dead
SOA
Boardwalk Empire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Louie
Wilfred
Shameless
The Borgias
Game of Thrones

Total crap? Like I said, this is the golden age of television right now, all people need to do is look for it.

I am a huge Justified fan.
I was on a reality documentary type show once. Way, way too much of it is staged to take any of it seriously.

Parks & Rec though, is my new favorite.
All those guys are silly. Can you believe the Hoffmans didn't make their lease payment, who the heck would buy a high track D-8 for the kind of work they are doing, why put the shaker far far away from the material, why are they trying to rip permafrost when they have an excavator, and why do they always stand so close to machinery when there is strain on chains and cables.

A bunch of dorks.
I tried watching that show a couple of times during the first season. From what I've seen that crew would have a hard time finding gold in a rapper's mouth.
There all a bunch of morons !!!!!! i have been involved with and run heavy equipment over 40 plus years , i watched two segments of the show and it pissed me off so bad i wont watch another one !!! crazy crazy Don
Originally Posted by Longbob
I am a huge Justified fan.

Why?
Have you seen the show? It reminds me of a bunch of goofs that I grew up around and it makes me laugh.

I like laughing.
They'd make more money if they just panned the creeks.
in the old days ya just shot claim jumpers -

enough said!

hoffmans are just LAME
i have to say i like the kid across the creek i bet he finds more then all the rest do
i thought he showed a 3 oz nugget - if the old tailins ahd that kinda stuff left behind - yeah he'll do well

only thing people will want to see - hes the show now!
Originally Posted by azcoues
i thought he showed a 3 oz nugget - if the old tailins ahd that kinda stuff left behind - yeah he'll do well

only thing people will want to see - hes the show now!

It was 1/3 of an ounce
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Justified
Walking Dead
SOA
Boardwalk Empire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Louie
Wilfred
Shameless
The Borgias
Game of Thrones

Total crap? Like I said, this is the golden age of television right now, all people need to do is look for it.

Too much TV will addle the head. There's only one show on the list I watch - Boardwalk Empire - the rest may as well not exist. Also enjoy Blue Bloods, but don't really know why, kind of tired of cop shows. Yep, it's total crap.
I thought the offer of 80K for all that equipment seemed very low. Kind of aroused my suspicions a bit. Does that seem like a realistic offer for all that stuff?
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
All those guys are silly. Can you believe the Hoffmans didn't make their lease payment, who the heck would buy a high track D-8 for the kind of work they are doing, why put the shaker far far away from the material, why are they trying to rip permafrost when they have an excavator, and why do they always stand so close to machinery when there is strain on chains and cables.

A bunch of dorks.

I came to the conclusion that the Hoffmans are Oregon hicks out chasing dreams of sugarplum fairies. My wife and I find their antics close to performance art, theater of the absurd, Keystone Cops of the Klondike. I sit in my comfy La-Z-boy chair and offer running commentary to my wife who laughs along with me. They lack every required bit of knowledge, skill and ability. Having planned and managed much larger projects, I'm sure they are scripted by someone who is making it all up - no one could be that stupid and live to tell about it. Having supervised salvage logging operations I was continually watching dummies like them standing too close to winch cables and chains. I almost lost my voice shouting when a dummy started to step over a cable from a D-7 when it stalled pulling a 9 foot diameter redwood log out of a creek. I sent him back to the correctional facility before he was killed.

The entire series could be used for a educational program on construction and project management, show a segment and discuss what they did wrong. Just one more unreal reality show.
I'm not real sure on the value up there,i know of a d8h and D6b that were just left behind when the claim was run out! theres a lot of old iron all over Alaska just doing nothing, and the scrap value is way down because it costs to much to move it ! Don
I/we haven't had cable or satellite in over 20 years. So this is all one less thing to deal with. I have seen bits at hotel rooms though.
Originally Posted by clyde
I have been watching the Gold Rush show. Anyone would have to be an idiot to believe anything that Dakota Fred has to say. I think he enjoyed telling the Hoffmans to hit the road. He is arrogant on a level very few people manage to get to.

grin
I could go on a rant here...I thought Fred was being rather kind in his treatment of the Hoffmans...they are either stupid is as stupid does (I find it hard to believe ANYBODY could be as clueless as that crew) or they're laughing all the way to the bank with the proceeds from selling this "comedy" to Hollywood...
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Justified
Walking Dead
SOA
Boardwalk Empire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Louie
Wilfred
Shameless
The Borgias
Game of Thrones

I eagerly watched from the beginning every episode of the first season of Walking Dead, and couldn't wait for the second season to start, keeping my eyes and ears open for any hint of when that would be. Only well into season II did I hear some kids at school talking about it, and then I realized I had missed the start. Didn't see a single ad for it anywhere on TV or elsewhere, so now I have to wait for them to replay it from the beginning, because no way I want to pick it up in the middle. So, yeah, you really do need to "look for it," and even if you do you might miss it.
Chit this show is 100 steps above the dickwad couple who keep popping out kids.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I thought the offer of 80K for all that equipment seemed very low. Kind of aroused my suspicions a bit. Does that seem like a realistic offer for all that stuff?

Nope.
terra nova
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

A bunch of dorks.

I came to the conclusion that the Hoffmans are Oregon hicks out chasing dreams of sugarplum fairies. My wife and I find their antics close to performance art, theater of the absurd, Keystone Cops of the Klondike. I sit in my comfy La-Z-boy chair and offer running commentary to my wife who laughs along with me. They lack every required bit of knowledge, skill and ability. Having planned and managed much larger projects, I'm sure they are scripted by someone who is making it all up - no one could be that stupid and live to tell about it. Having supervised salvage logging operations I was continually watching dummies like them standing too close to winch cables and chains. I almost lost my voice shouting when a dummy started to step over a cable from a D-7 when it stalled pulling a 9 foot diameter redwood log out of a creek. I sent him back to the correctional facility before he was killed.

The entire series could be used for a educational program on construction and project management, show a segment and discuss what they did wrong. Just one more unreal reality show.

My sentiments exactly Wrangler and after working in fabrication and construction for 20 years the Hoffman antics could be used as a "what not to do" video. I tuned into the show late last season and get a pretty good laugh at how Discovery portrays these idiots. Maybe they truly are as dumb as they appear?

No doubt, much of Gold Rush is scripted (Todd "forgot" to make a lease payment bwaaahaaahaaa!) and in my opinion, these guys (Hoffman Crew), have no intention of actually finding gold, but plan on banking on the exposure of being on TV every week.
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Nope.

Actually, it probably was.

That stuff wasn't sitting in a Ritchie Bros yard near an interstate, it was sitting on somebody elses claim in Alaska.

You would be surprised at the low actual cash value of specialized equipment sitting on a remote site.

I've paid through the nose at dealers yards for worn out junk, and I've bought better stuff off someones dormant site for a few drums of diesel.

Disclaimer: This is assuming (probably wrongly) that the show has some actual reality, though considering that a broken pick is the most common result of a rookie placer operation, maybe the show has more reality than most.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I eagerly watched from the beginning every episode of the first season of Walking Dead

You haven't missed much, I don't watch much TV and didn't see any advertisements either. Girl Friend gave me a heads up though, but regardless of all that you haven't missed much.

Not to spoil anything, but this last episode wasn't too bad. Others so far, I've had a hard time paying attention.

Anywho... Just watched Gold Rush for the first time last night. Comical to say the least and they're safety is surely lacking.

ps: Other than possibly getting killed by a snapped chain, regardless of gold or not I'm sure they're all quite happy with their check from Discovery.

Local girl here, who happens to be an aspiring Playboy model is dating Josh Harris from Deadliest Catch. From the facebook pictures, sure looks like that family is doing quite well and as cute as she is and as homely as he is, I'm sure she's not dating him for his looks.
Originally Posted by DayPacker
terra nova

So long as you don't mind a wife/mother relegating the housework and childrearing to her husband. Who only happens to be the chief law enforcement officer in the place. Sorry, I watch it with my kids and although the special effects are cool, and parts of the plot are neat, it sucks.
staged crap. I've watched bits and pieces of it. Thats all it is, staged crap.
Over dramatised mundane schit working stiffs do everyday.

Other than that, might see some gold in quantity some day.
they need a new commentator - the guy keeps ssayin the samo chit - tiresome -
all in all kinda lame -
like the kid blowin a hydraulic line - build a ramp and load the damn truck with the huge loaders - instead of excavator - use dozer to push tailins down into piles for the loader- but they sit and act like they can do mothing - staged fer sure
© 24hourcampfire