Home
Posted By: Powerguy I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
The final straw came this last holiday weekend. I endured another and quite possibly my LAST [bleep] cup of coffee from a drip coffee maker.

I've welcomed into my humble abode a Bodum Press/ Krups grinder and momma and I ain't looking back. Should have done it long ago.

The old saying is "Once you got Bodum you never", or is it once you go ....Oh well never mind, you get the point.
Posted By: RickBin Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
French press coffee is the best. I grind every morning. Fresh half&half and raw sugar too.

Life is short. Coffee comprises its own major food group. Vitamin C.

Make it good. smile

(He says at 3:45 am.) smile
Posted By: Mako25 Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Where'd you get it?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
My gay neighbor also likes half & half and raw sugar in his coffee. Men of will drink it black...
Black, and unflavored are my only requisites; cold, decaffinated (in a pinch), styrofoam-served - all acceptable.

I do like the dark roasts through whatever those steam-contraptions are. STRONG stuff, the way it oughta be.
"Bodum's up" in the mornin' - hmmmmmmm, has possibilities.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by Steelhead
My gay neighbor also likes half & half and raw sugar in his coffee. Men of will drink it black...
What? Bart drinks flavored coffee with all the fixings
Posted By: nomad_archer Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Love the french press coffee. I have a drip coffee maker in the basement and a senseo on the counter collecting dust. Although the senseo makes some fantastic single cup servings. Just expensive to by the little pods for the thing and drink any volume of coffee.

French press dark roast black thank you...
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Sissy coffee just ain't happenin on this ranch!!
Posted By: Scotty Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
I got a French press for Christmas and it is great.
Posted By: saddlering Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Got to be Black for me! coffee that is!!!!
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
I'd like to watch some of you fellers drink the coffee I drink without any milk in it.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Hell, I just got back from the grocery store picking up coffee filters.

I figured I'd step it up a notch and get the natural (brown) filters over the white ones. My ten year old Mr. Coffee seems to be cranking out the same delicious stuff??

Maybe I'm a bit behind the curve on the Java??

Oh, and it's as black as the Ace O Spades, no gay [bleep] in mine.....<g>
I'd like to watch some of you fellers drink the coffee I drink without any milk in it.

I'd like to accept the invite.

In a pinch, I've used instant as snuff.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

Easy, my mother probably mixed my bottle with Cafe Cubano. But I agree, French Press makes for some good coffee but unlike my women, I prefer my coffee black...
Posted By: bruinruin Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by Mako25

I've done it too, Mako.If the flavor don't snap your lids back the caffeine blast usually will. crazy
Through the years using the "instant snuff" hasn't been my first option, but greatly outweighed the alternative (no "coffee"). Working remote locations can have it's disadvantages at times.
Posted By: zxc Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Went through he high teck drip machines , bodum, and always come back to perc coffee, I own 4 coffee perculoter's. in a pich use the old Billy can as well
Posted By: eh76 Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by RickBin
French press coffee is the best. I grind every morning. Fresh half&half and raw sugar too.

Life is short. Coffee comprises its own major food group. Vitamin C.

Make it good. smile

(He says at 3:45 am.) smile

No candy bar in a cup here, I like dark roasts plain and strong.

Sounds like you have been drinking truck stop coffee which has set on the burner all day. I make mine strong enough most people don't care for it. What the heck you doing using one part water to one part coffee grounds? whistle
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
This stuff is Da Bomb!!!

Ground or whole beans.

https://shop.dunkindonuts.com/shoponline/Product.aspx?CategoryId=COFF&GroupId=OB

Posted By: milespatton Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
What the heck you doing using one part water to one part coffee grounds?

Probably community coffee with chicory. I have had a cup or two of that, black, like all the rest. miles
Posted By: T LEE Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
I would sure give it a try Steve, after all I liked Army Mess Hall coffee!
Posted By: Steven_CO Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
I microwave yesterday's brew, drink it black and call it good.
Still haven't acquired a taste for the moldy coffee though.
Posted By: mathman Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11

I'm from south of I-10, ain't no weak "Dallas coffee" around here. grin
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by T LEE
I would sure give it a try Steve, after all I liked Army Mess Hall coffee!

eekEGADS!!!! Next thing ya know T is gonna say he didn't mind the C-Rat instant either eek grin
Posted By: Wtxj Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by milespatton

Probably community coffee with chicory. I have had a cup or two of that, black, like all the rest. miles

One cup of that is all you need, can't believe that you guys who have been to NO haven't tried the Chicory coffee.
Nope, that crap was BAD, but then if it was all that was available..................

Favorite Mess Hall breakfast was SoS BTW.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11

My gay neighbor also likes half & half and raw sugar in his coffee.

And you know this how?
Originally Posted by milespatton

Black is the operative word. Much better a nice cafe au lait brown. I grind up a mix of Community New Orleans blend and some dark French roast, unless I'm feeling lazy and then I just use Community straight.
Posted By: temmi Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
At home I drink expresso, lots of it

full cups of it

Not those littke cups

Snake
Posted By: DocRocket Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
When asked how I like my coffee, I used to say, "Like my women... strong, black, and bitter."

Then one day a few years ago a hot little paramedic looked at me through great big eyelashes as she stirred some coffee into her cream and said, "I don't think so. I think you like your coffee hot, sweet, and creamy..."

Every guy in the room just gulped. I been drinking cream in my coffee ever since.
I just use Community straight

Before I retired, my boss at the home office, kept some Community coffee and he would brew some when I was there. We were the only two that would drink it. grin miles
Posted By: mathman Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Community isn't that strong. C'mon man! grin
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Why is it that the beans cost more then ground? Seems like if you cut out part of the process you should save a little money...
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
I'd as soon put a sardine in the bottom of my cup as put cream and sugar in a perfectly good cup of coffee.
If it is already ground lower quality beans can be utilized. Cheaper IOW. Whole bean you can see what you are getting. NO cull beans.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Community Coffee is good stuff. It's what I use in my Bodum. During the week, I don't take the time to grind and boil. I have an old Braun that is still going strong, and puts actual hot water through the grounds. They don't make them like that any more unless you spend a ton of money on a Bunn. Coffee is always taken black. Brewed with 2 Tbl of grind per cup.
They don't make them like that any more unless you spend a ton of money on a Bunn.

A bunn ain't that high. All that I have used for a lot of years. Put the coffee in the night before and in the morning pour in a pot of water, go take a leak, come back and pour some coffee. Electric goes off, make one pot and pour into a thermos. It is a way of life around here. grin miles
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Never heard of the Community coffee brand but this looks tasty.

http://www.communitycoffee.com/product/Gourmet-Coffee/Seasonal-Coffee/12oz-Ground-Bread-Pudding
Originally Posted by mathman
Community isn't that strong. C'mon man! grin

well, that kind of depends how strong you make it.....I've drunk it on offshore vessels where you could stand a spoon up in it. Nice for the midnight to 0600 watch.

Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11

When my brother lived in New Orleans he sent us a pound of that chicory chit. One cup was enough to convince me it was as wasn't as bad as most New Orleans foodstuffs. No, it was WORSE.

I used it as fertilizer.
Posted By: djs Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
There is no bad coffee. Some is just better than others, although Starbucks is at the bottom of the list.
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

When my brother lived in New Orleans he sent us a pound of that chicory chit. One cup was enough to convince me it was as wasn't as bad as most New Orleans foodstuffs. No, it was WORSE.

I used it as fertilizer.

Blasphemy & Sacrilege Sir!
Posted By: ChetAF Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11

How do you know what your gay neighboor drinks first thing in the morning? wink

Chet
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
black in the a.m. if I'm using coffee as a dessert in a nice restaurant after a nice meal, a spoonful of fresh cream is wonderful.

did the fancy grind your own beans stuff for awhile, and it was good.

but I'm back to Folgers, grew up on it, still love it, hey white trash with money whatcha gonna do....
Posted By: atvalaska Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
French press coffee ...is yellow....
Posted By: atvalaska Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by Chetaf

Chet
lol....i don't think we want to know.....
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11

French press and fresh ground beans every morning to get the heart started.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by bruinruin

I've done it too, Mako.If the flavor don't snap your lids back the caffeine blast usually will. crazy
back in the day when i got to half a can of Cope i'd mix in dry grounds, and to keep it moist a drop or two of Jack D. it like cutting your can with Caffine
Posted By: Barkoff Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
It's all hot dirty water.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
black in the a.m. if I'm using coffee as a dessert in a nice restaurant after a nice meal, a spoonful of fresh cream is wonderful.

did the fancy grind your own beans stuff for awhile, and it was good.

but I'm back to Folgers, grew up on it, still love it, hey white trash with money whatcha gonna do....

Still drink mostly Maxwell House dark roast here, will quickly but a can of Luzianne Dark Roast Coffee & Chicory if it appears on the grocery store shelf though.
Posted By: RickBin Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11

That explains a lot. smile
Posted By: RWE Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Briefly, in the list of posts, it said

Subject Forum Poster Posted
Re: I'm Done....Hunter's Campfire RickBin 14 seconds ago

that looked a wee bit scary.
Posted By: SmokeEater2 Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11

I used to do that back in my Infantry days. Didn't taste that great but it'd sure wake you up. smile
Posted By: rattler Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Posted By: Steelhead Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by Chetaf

Chet

From your pm........
Posted By: 280shooter Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11
Gays, Bodums, Bunns- you guys are making me nervous.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: I'm Done........ - 12/29/11

Real men just toss a fistful of coffee beans in their pieholes, chew 'em up a bit, then add a good slug of boiling water right out of the kettle.
Posted By: Powerguy Re: I'm Done........ - 12/30/11
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Real men just toss a fistful of coffee beans in their pieholes, chew 'em up a bit, then add a good slug of boiling water right out of the kettle.

Thinking Scotts neighbor does just that, without using his piehole per say
Posted By: Recon_Jim Re: I'm Done........ - 12/30/11
like strong dark roast? personally, i like the "454 horsepower" blend from kicking horse coffee. great for those early mornings.
Posted By: johnw Re: I'm Done........ - 12/30/11
we're doing the aldi's stuff right now... best can be said is, it's coffee...

day in, day out, when i'm working regular, i choose the maxwell house dark roast...

best coffee i remember recently is what i got in a K.C restaurant called "First Watch"...
you could buy their coffee to make at home, and i don't recall the price, but it was on the steep side... but worth every penny...

i can't do sweetened coffee, but there is no wrong in dribbling in enough half n half to muddy it a bit...
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: I'm Done........ - 12/30/11
does anybody have one of those coffee makers that grind the beans right in the machine....so you put the beans and the water in, set the timer, and it grinds and brews in the morning? I have a separate grinder, so I grind the beans the night before and put them in the machine, but they taste better if they're just ground when you brew them.

they were selling a machine that did both on Amazon right before Christmas for 2/3 off....it was still sixty bucks or so....and I'm kicking myself for not buying one.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: I'm Done........ - 12/30/11
does anybody have one of those coffee makers that grind the beans right in the machine....so you put the beans and the water in, set the timer, and it grinds and brews in the morning? I have a separate grinder, so I grind the beans the night before and put them in the machine, but they taste better if they're just ground when you brew them.

they were selling a machine that did both on Amazon right before Christmas for 2/3 off....it was still sixty bucks or so....and I'm kicking myself for not buying one.

I used to when I got up to make my own coffee but now my wife gets up to make it for me. It worked GREAT! The sound and smell was a pleasant alarm clock.
Posted By: Enrique Re: I'm Done........ - 12/30/11
Rick,
I thought you liked the coffee we drank in Sonora?lol
Posted By: byc Re: I'm Done........ - 12/30/11
I have one. Works great and as advertised. Think it's Cuisinart. I've moved to the one cup Kuerig maker as that's all I usually have now.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: I'm Done........ - 12/30/11
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
but now my wife gets up to make it for me.

well, I know that's not gonna happen at my house, so I may have to see if Amazon still has that sale on. wink
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: I'm Done........ - 12/30/11
grin Truth be known my hours are more friendly and the kids gotta' get up for school. It sounded cool for a second though. blush

I think mine coffee maker was by Cuisanart (sic).
© 24hourcampfire