Home
Posted By: Lslite Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
Any opinions on the quality of Sears Craftsman lite and med.duty weedeaters/string trimmers ? How do they compare to Echo or Husquavarna ?
Posted By: ST40 Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
Last ones I had in my shop were made by Poulan, have been for quite a few years. Depends on what you use them for. The quality has been lower the last few years. I've been through this several times, as models change and EPA regulations keep forcing changes. They probably will make improvements, but right now I am selling Husqvarna which seem to hold up much better for tougher jobs. Echo's may be good, I just don't see that many to make a general judgement. Hope this helps. (I sell and work on close to 100 per year, I have a smaller 1 man service center) Marty
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
I've got an older one. Like all small two-stroke engines, one needs a P.H.D. in mechanical engineering to keep it running right. Coupled with that is the fact that whoever the genius was who designed the respooling mechanism should be hanged with a slip-knot around his testicles with a bowling ball in each hand.
Posted By: AKHntr Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
I use a diesel flamethrower weed burner that I built. To keep the weeds burned back I do it two times a season. Try burning them off and see if it works for you.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
Two strokes are easy to run, but E85 fuel can cause grief. Typically the only thing that a 2 stroke needs service wise is a quick carb rebuild, especially if running that ethanol crap. Swapping out the pump diaphram in the carb and a new spark plug is a 5 minute job and should get you back up and running in no time.

As to weedwackers, if you are cutting alot weeds and brush, or just want a one time purchase get a professional quality Husky or Stihl. Unfortunately consumer models are typically throwaways after a few years.
Posted By: ST40 Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
I agree about buying a quality trimmer. I amazes me when my customers want to keep spending way too much keeping the $99 Walmart units going. I tell them to at least buy a mid-range trimmer and NEVER spend more than $50.00 repairing it. Put that money toward a similar or better unit. Marty
Posted By: gwindrider1 Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
All Craftsman power tools are now made in China, and do not have the famous guarantee that their hand tools have. Bottom line, it's a P.O.S.!
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
Originally Posted by Lslite
Any opinions on the quality of Sears Craftsman lite and med.duty weedeaters/string trimmers ?

Yes.

How do they compare to Echo or Husquavarna ?

They don't.

Posted By: EWY Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
I can't comment on the Craftsman but I have had an Echo for several years and it has been a very good machine. I did buy the trimmer head that you just stick the pieces of line into. It makes it easy swap heavy or light line for the cutting job at hand.

Ernie
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
I had a Craftsman POS weedeater. I replaced it with a Stihl.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
Thanks guys,that's about the review I expected.I think I'll spend my gift card on Sears hand tools and buy the weedeater elsewhere.
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
Had one good one, one bad. The bad one had a crap carb right out of the box, and I couldn't get it to run right until I changed it out. It's good now and has the one-piece line, which is much better than the spools.
The other one has been great, has the quick-change shaft for attachments (I have the pole saw and brush cutter). I've only run premium or avgas in it and it's been going strong for five years. If you want to kill any two-stroke, run some ethanol in it. You'll succeed.
I think the Sears units are hit and miss. When these die, the next one will be a Husky.

Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
I bought an Echo straight shaft trimmer in the fall of 1998 and it has been running ever since. Keep fresh plugs and air filters in it and it starts and runs great.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
All the gas in my area has ethanol and I run the blue Stabil in all my equipment.Does using premium help that much ?
Posted By: jnyork Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Same here. Very pleased with result.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
Get 100LL av gas if you can't avoid the E85. The problem is the ethanol eats the gaskets, and the fuel evaporates leaving varnish in the carb that gunks up the very small dia fuel passages.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Exactly what I did and for a few extra $$ it's well worth it.
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/03/12
All the gas in my area has ethanol and I run the blue Stabil in all my equipment.Does using premium help that much ?

The blue Stabil (or Startron) will help, but if you can get ANY fuel that doesn't have ethanol, you're better off. Most premium fuel around here is ethanol-free. You still should add a fuel stabilizer to the premium- red Stabil or PRI-G.
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/04/12
I replaced a 25-year old Shindaiwa last year with a new Shindaiwa. The old one probably just needs a carb re-build, and I'll have that done and pass it down to one of my sons. My dad has a relatively new Stihl, and it seems to be a good machine. I don't have any experience with the Husqvarna, but would expect it to be a good machine as well. I do only use pure gasoline in all of my two stroke equipment. I don't have any experience with a craftsman, but would expect it to be a "throw-away" model, ie. a waste of good money.
Posted By: cole_k Re: Craftsman weedeaters ? - 03/04/12
Do yourself a favor an buy a Stihl or a Husky. I'll have a lot less headacks
STIHL

it's not pronounced steel for nuthin'
I bought one about 6 years ago. It lasted about 3 hours before quiting for good and being unreparable except maybe by Sears. That 3 hours took several months to accumilate since it didn't take long to trim my yard.

A friend bought 3 in 3 years because they kept breaking on him and it was about as cheap to buy a new one as to have Sears repair them. I didn't do that. I bought a Stihl and have been happy ever since. Matter of fact i have been happy with all my Stihl products. A Husquavarna tiller I have breaks as often as those Craftsman weedeaters, but it is too expensive to throw away.
© 24hourcampfire