Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lslite Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Any opinions on the quality of Sears Craftsman lite and med.duty weedeaters/string trimmers ? How do they compare to Echo or Husquavarna ?

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Last ones I had in my shop were made by Poulan, have been for quite a few years. Depends on what you use them for. The quality has been lower the last few years. I've been through this several times, as models change and EPA regulations keep forcing changes. They probably will make improvements, but right now I am selling Husqvarna which seem to hold up much better for tougher jobs. Echo's may be good, I just don't see that many to make a general judgement. Hope this helps. (I sell and work on close to 100 per year, I have a smaller 1 man service center) Marty

Last edited by ST40; 03/03/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got an older one. Like all small two-stroke engines, one needs a P.H.D. in mechanical engineering to keep it running right. Coupled with that is the fact that whoever the genius was who designed the respooling mechanism should be hanged with a slip-knot around his testicles with a bowling ball in each hand.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use a diesel flamethrower weed burner that I built. To keep the weeds burned back I do it two times a season. Try burning them off and see if it works for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two strokes are easy to run, but E85 fuel can cause grief. Typically the only thing that a 2 stroke needs service wise is a quick carb rebuild, especially if running that ethanol crap. Swapping out the pump diaphram in the carb and a new spark plug is a 5 minute job and should get you back up and running in no time.

As to weedwackers, if you are cutting alot weeds and brush, or just want a one time purchase get a professional quality Husky or Stihl. Unfortunately consumer models are typically throwaways after a few years.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I agree about buying a quality trimmer. I amazes me when my customers want to keep spending way too much keeping the $99 Walmart units going. I tell them to at least buy a mid-range trimmer and NEVER spend more than $50.00 repairing it. Put that money toward a similar or better unit. Marty

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All Craftsman power tools are now made in China, and do not have the famous guarantee that their hand tools have. Bottom line, it's a P.O.S.!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Lslite
Any opinions on the quality of Sears Craftsman lite and med.duty weedeaters/string trimmers ?

Yes.

How do they compare to Echo or Husquavarna ?

They don't.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I can't comment on the Craftsman but I have had an Echo for several years and it has been a very good machine. I did buy the trimmer head that you just stick the pieces of line into. It makes it easy swap heavy or light line for the cutting job at hand.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I had a Craftsman POS weedeater. I replaced it with a Stihl.

IC B3

L
Lslite Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks guys,that's about the review I expected.I think I'll spend my gift card on Sears hand tools and buy the weedeater elsewhere.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Had one good one, one bad. The bad one had a crap carb right out of the box, and I couldn't get it to run right until I changed it out. It's good now and has the one-piece line, which is much better than the spools.
The other one has been great, has the quick-change shaft for attachments (I have the pole saw and brush cutter). I've only run premium or avgas in it and it's been going strong for five years. If you want to kill any two-stroke, run some ethanol in it. You'll succeed.
I think the Sears units are hit and miss. When these die, the next one will be a Husky.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I bought an Echo straight shaft trimmer in the fall of 1998 and it has been running ever since. Keep fresh plugs and air filters in it and it starts and runs great.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
L
Lslite Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
All the gas in my area has ethanol and I run the blue Stabil in all my equipment.Does using premium help that much ?

Monte Walsh
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Same here. Very pleased with result.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get 100LL av gas if you can't avoid the E85. The problem is the ethanol eats the gaskets, and the fuel evaporates leaving varnish in the carb that gunks up the very small dia fuel passages.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Exactly what I did and for a few extra $$ it's well worth it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
All the gas in my area has ethanol and I run the blue Stabil in all my equipment.Does using premium help that much ?

The blue Stabil (or Startron) will help, but if you can get ANY fuel that doesn't have ethanol, you're better off. Most premium fuel around here is ethanol-free. You still should add a fuel stabilizer to the premium- red Stabil or PRI-G.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I replaced a 25-year old Shindaiwa last year with a new Shindaiwa. The old one probably just needs a carb re-build, and I'll have that done and pass it down to one of my sons. My dad has a relatively new Stihl, and it seems to be a good machine. I don't have any experience with the Husqvarna, but would expect it to be a good machine as well. I do only use pure gasoline in all of my two stroke equipment. I don't have any experience with a craftsman, but would expect it to be a "throw-away" model, ie. a waste of good money.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do yourself a favor an buy a Stihl or a Husky. I'll have a lot less headacks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,556
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.