Home
Posted By: 496 No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
NO
Posted By: safariman Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
And you are hearing this from where? Or just hoping - and if so for what reason?
Posted By: RobJordan Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Paul Ryan would be fantastic.
Posted By: safariman Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Kinda what I thought, at least at first glance and thoguht. The man has guts and vision.
Posted By: vairboy Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Being reported on nbcnews.com. They're liberal, so you know it must be true! wink
Posted By: RobJordan Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by safariman
Kinda what I thought, at least at first glance and thoguht. The man has guts and vision.

Agreed. He's a big hunter too (bow and arrow at least).

Jordan
Posted By: 496 Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
I wanted him to pick Rubio so he has a better chance of winning.
Posted By: ribka Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Being a WI native I like him a lot .

he is a man with conviction, character and a very strong intellect.

he blows away Obama and Biden.
Posted By: mathman Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by ribka

So would a mild breeze, if they didn't have several million douchebag idiots backing them up.
Posted By: GeoW Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
May be the best choice, I like him, but is he the man to actually help Romney win?
Posted By: eyeball Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
The Rinos have chosen a Morman to lead us, a group that mostly believes in The Holy Bible against the Zero muzzy. Why? We are past looking for the best to lead, but for the one who can be elected. The best is nothing if he can't be elected. Would Ryan not give economic advice if he weren't VP?
Posted By: Sycamore Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Would Ryan be more important to stay in the Congress in a leadership role?

Sycamore
I would expect so, rather than be out of a job.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Paul Ryan is the only politician out there who actually worked out a plan. He'll kick uncle joe's ass in a debate.
I know you are right, but can he be elected?
Anyone could kick Joe's ass... Romney needs an attack dog.. one that will give back as good as he gets to the Chicago gang...
Posted By: Raisuli Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
If Republican Party delegates were smart they'd consider nominating Paul Ryan as their party's presidential candidate.

I am not convinced that any VP choice will help Romney. A VP is an empty suit. The big boss is the only one with power to effectuate his agenda. A VP's job is to support his boss, do nothing w/o his boss's approval, and look good doing it.

Originally Posted by Sycamore

Sycamore

Absolutely! A VP is an empty suit.
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by vairboy
Being reported on nbcnews.com. They're liberal, so you know it must be true! wink

Yep Paul Ryan gives them heart burn.
My wife just reminded me her period starts today

Originally Posted by Raisuli
If Republican Party delegates were smart they'd consider nominating Paul Ryan as their party's presidential candidate.

I am not convinced that any VP choice will help Romney. A VP is an empty suit. The big boss is the only one with power to effectuate his agenda. A VP's job is to support his boss, do nothing w/o his boss's approval, and look good doing it.

Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12

Sycamore

Yah that's why we had more than one VP that has gone on to the next level.
Posted By: Steve Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12

Tell that to Cheney.
Originally Posted by Steve

Tell that to Cheney.

Are you one of the conspiracy theorists who believe that Cheney was really running our country? I am not taking anything away form Cheney's well deserved neocon status. After all he did a damned good job deceiving us about Al Qaeda and Taliban. I wonder if we're still looking for their underground fortifications that Cheney said existed but no one has been able to find. BTW, has anyone found Saddam's WMD yet? Jus' checkin' 'cause I'd like to know that we got something in return for squandering maybe a trillion simoleons on a war we were duped in to fighting.

Sycamore

So what? They can't pull votes? Your disingenuous statement shines through.
Saddam's WMDs are in Syria... we will see them soon enough I'm afraid.
Originally Posted by eyeball

Sycamore

So what? They can't pull votes? Your disingenuous statement shines through.

I am not doubting that a VP candidate can pull votes, and Romney needs all the help he can get. I merely wrote that any VP selection might not do much for Romney, for he needs more electoral votes than any VP choice could be expected to deliver.

I'd love to see a poll pitting Obama against Ryan. If such a poll were to occur and it showed Ryan beating Obama, would you remain intransigent in your support of the neocon? Or would you do the right thing and demand Republican Party delegates nominate Ryan???

Jus' askin'...
Originally Posted by GeoW
Saddam's WMDs are in Syria... we will see them soon enough I'm afraid.

What neocon gave up this intelligence to you?

Did Saddam ship his WMD to Syria using Fed X? Just curious of how he would have gotten them there w/o our satellites picking up the shipment.
Posted By: kecatt Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Ask Georges Sada....
Well, he had them and he used them...

Hundreds of reports, this is the first search result WMD
BTW, I fell for Bush 43's wars hook, line, and sinker. I also supported his Patriot Act. After I read the Patriot Act and the power it bestows upon bureaucrats to violate our rights, I realized that bureaucrats could apply it to Girl Scouts.

I will admit when I was duped, and I have fallen prey to neocon dupage more times than I'd like to admit.

Another day older and deeper in debt...
Posted By: BMT Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Drudge says its Ryan.
Well, he had them and he used them...

Hundreds of reports, this is the first search result WMD

To believe that you'd also have to believe that the CIA and our military is so inept that it knew Saddam had WMD that no one has yet proved and allowed him to ship them to Syria w/o interdiction. I ain't buying it.
Originally Posted by BMT
Drudge says its Ryan.

Drudge is usually very accurate.
Drudge says they're in Syria too..
That's scary to hear you say, Ra. How long have you been in this country, if I may ask. If your answer is more than a few years you prove yourself to be nothing more than a democrat operative who has been trained in the art of Zero support and who has missed the news ignored by the mainstream media.

One of the top generals of Hussein has confessed and explained in great detail the great efforts expended in relocating WMDs to Syria before the war. Also, at this time the UK has people working to try to remove WMDs that are found to have been hidden in bunkers in Iraq as requested by the UN.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by BMT
Drudge says its Ryan.

Drudge is usually very accurate.

I hope they are wrong on this one. There are some folk who need to be in Congress. Ryan is one of them.

If Rombama wins,I would like to see a Conservative push to run Ryan aganist him in 2016.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
My opinion is that Ryan will make the best VP, and potential future President, but not the best "running mate". Ryan seems like a great financial policy wonk, but not a great campaigner.

Regarding WMDs, I find it curious that the current government of Iraq is asking the British for help with disposing of the chemical weapons that don�t exist ?
http://news.yahoo.com/uk-experts-help-iraq-destroy-chemical-residues-144204378.html
Anaconda,

We all knew that Saddam had chemical weapons. He murdered many Kurds with them. However, we were lead to believe Saddam was working on nuclear weapons. If you'll recall, Bush 43 parodied himself at a journalists' dinner by mocking his former claim of Saddam's nuclear weapons.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
We all know ?
For the last 10 years, you could not find a single liberal, or journalist that would admit to knowing that.

Bush lied, there were NO WMDS, not nuclear WMDs, but WMDs peirod.
Liberals have been been screaming that at the top of their lungs for 10 years, and now, this quite little story ?

Posted By: HugAJackass Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Anaconda,

We all knew that Saddam had chemical weapons. He murdered many Kurds with them. However, we were lead to believe Saddam was working on nuclear weapons. If you'll recall, Bush 43 parodied himself at a journalists' dinner by mocking his former claim of Saddam's nuclear weapons.

Um, he was. It's been well documented and no big secret.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Anaconda,

Where's the beef? Where's the proof that Saddam was working on developing nukes?

Believe me, I bought into the Saddam nuke propaganda. But even Bush 43 said he was wrong about Saddam's nuke program, which begets the questions of whether Bush knew beforehand that Saddam wasn't working on procuring nukes and whether our CIA was inept in giving Bush 43 info that Saddam was working on a nuke program. My thoughts now are that Bush 43 propagandized us with Saddam's nonexistent nuke program in order to dupe us into an unnecessary war just like his daddy duped us into Operation Desert Storm. The Kuwaiti Royal family knew it didn't have to invest its 5 trillion bucks in developing a suitable military because it knew that it could use a 15 year old child to propagandize us into using our military to protect its wealth.
Posted By: tbear Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Take a peak at Syria for Iraq's WMD. The second in command of Iraq's AF defected to the US & wrote a book naming the pilots who flew canisters of poison gas to Syria. Try convincing the Massad that Iraq didn't convoy WMD's to Syria.
Posted By: milespatton Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
If your answer is more than a few years you prove yourself to be nothing more than a democrat operative

Bingo. Ignore him. miles
Posted By: rrroae Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Anaconda,

Our classy and highly thought of member from across the ocean has a different take.

Originally Posted by Pete E
The problem with this whole issue is that the British and American Governments choose to hang their justification of the invasion on the term "WMD". The Press then latched onto this and wasted no time in sensationalising it. I would say that Tony Blair, our PM at the time, went even further when he announced to the British public that not only did Sadam have a functioning WMD system, it was ready to deploy against British troops in theatre at a couple of hours readiness.

History show this was simply not true.

At the time of the invasion, Sadam had no such functioning weapons system anywhere near capable of being deployed.
He certainly had them and used them prior to GW1, that is not in question. Post GW2, rusting, decaying batches of chemical shells and rockets were found buried n the desert, remnants of stocks abandoned/lost from the Iraq-Iran war. While extremely hazardous, they no longer represented a working weapons systems.
Other items found included prototype missiles and drone aircraft, both of which could have been used to deliver chemical/biological agents, both of which breeched the UN Arms resolutions imposed on Sadam post GW1 but again, these were nowhere near being a functioning weapons system.
Other finds were similar. Sadam had chemical production plants which were essentially capable of duel use, one week they could produce pesticides or inoculations, next week, production could have been switched to nerve gas or biological agents. Problem is such plants are not unusual in the developed world, and were not banned by the UN. Nor was there any evidence found these plants that they had been used to produce banned substances.
On a smaller scale, the same situation existed in University and Hospital labs. These could have been used to produce something nasty, but there was no evidence, other than basic research, that any had been produced.
And in every instance of every Iraqi find, it is the same story. Unless the regime in Syria falls, and new evidence comes to light, history shows Sadam simply did not have a tactical or strategic functioning WMD system just prior to GW2, and the West made grave a mistake of making the existence of such systems as their primary justification for the invasion..indeed, there were plenty of very valid reasons why Sadam needed to go, but I suspect both our Governments were worried that public opinion in the US and USA would not see these as strong enough to justify urgent military action by the West.

Regards,

Peter

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._UK_to_help_Iraq_destroy_ima#Post6734942
Posted By: Steelhead Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Any of you boys been in a leadership position with a number 2 guy? You know CO/XO type situation? It's a marriage and so should a Pres/VP roll, assuming they are worth a [bleep].

Perhaps that is some of the problems today, they have to pick a VP that the idiots find attractive, not one they can actually work with and get [bleep] done.

Just as many of you conservatives are just as flaky as the liberal side, but it's fun to watch.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by 496
Rubio does nothing for me. Ryan's a far more preferable VP in my book than Rubio. Sorry, but I don't trust Republicans who have Hispanic backgrounds. They always disappoint.
May be the best choice, I like him, but is he the man to actually help Romney win?
If you understand the dynamic required for Republicans to win presidential races, you'd understand that Ryan was Romney's only hope. Think: Reagan landslides two consecutive races. Having real principles, combined with a capacity and willingness to communicate them persuasively, is the key for Republicans.
True. That ticket would have a better chance of winning than with Romney at the top, but Ryan as VP will, to some extent at least, excite the conservative base, which is the key to Republican victory. Whether or not it will be enough of a factor with him at the bottom of the ticket is anyone's guess.
Posted By: Steve Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12

Tell that to Cheney.

Are you one of the conspiracy theorists who believe that Cheney was really running our country? I am not taking anything away form Cheney's well deserved neocon status. After all he did a damned good job deceiving us about Al Qaeda and Taliban. I wonder if we're still looking for their underground fortifications that Cheney said existed but no one has been able to find. BTW, has anyone found Saddam's WMD yet? Jus' checkin' 'cause I'd like to know that we got something in return for squandering maybe a trillion simoleons on a war we were duped in to fighting.

Just saying he was more than an empty suit and a powerful voice in the Bush whitehouse. As to the rest of your babbling, not worth the calories to type a response.
Posted By: djs Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Originally Posted by safariman

Agreed. He's a big hunter too (bow and arrow at least).

Jordan

I heard him this morning on CNN - he's a big "noodler" of catfish too.
Posted By: RickyD Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Sounds like a man's man. He's a good family man, too.

I like him and believe he will be a good fit.

If it draws the demoncraps out to talk budget and economy, bring it!
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 496
Rubio does nothing for me. Ryan's a far more preferable VP in my book than Rubio. Sorry, but I don't trust Republicans who have Hispanic backgrounds. They always disappoint.

I wounder how many Hispanics are now not going to vote for Romney just because he did not pick Rubio?

I sure hope it comes out that Rubio did not want the VP.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by 496
NO

You are so far from rational as to make me wonder.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
http://www.mikehanback.com/blog/index.cfm/2012/2/21/Paul-Ryan-RWI-Bowhunter
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Originally Posted by 496
NO

How many Obama voters just changed their minds now that Ryan is the VP?

I don't think many have changed their minds because of Ryan?

But your right many on here are think if I am rational on another thread grin
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by 496
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Originally Posted by 496
NO

How many Obama voters just changed their minds now that Ryan is the VP?

I don't think many have changed their minds because of Ryan?

It is not the BHO voters or the Romney voters who are of concern. It is and always has been the "undecided" voters who will decide the election.

I'm thinking Ryan may be a hindrance with the undecideds. He will certainly be a lightning rod that will unleash rhetorical thunder from the Left.
Any pick would be a lightning rod for the left
Spanky has a disguised motive. He's not actually interested in conservatism. He will claim he's all about being "practical" and "realistic," but those are code words.

Gotta agree but Ryan will not engender the near supernatural ravings the last Republican VP nominee did.

I'm thinking Ryan is a solid pick. Sure he is a pretty face but there are brains behind it.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Paul Ryan is the only politician out there who actually worked out a plan. He'll kick uncle joe's ass in a debate.

he will make that idiot Biden explode in a debate
Posted By: boltman Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12

Sad to say, I'd add Romney to that list....
Originally Posted by boltman

Sad to say, I'd add Romney to that list....
True.

Wouldn't he (Ryan) make a great future President after eight years of Romney?
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by Barkoff

he will make that idiot Biden explode in a debate

The best thing to do in a debate with Biden...is to let him talk.
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Wouldn't he (Ryan) make a great future President after eight years of Romney?

Ryan would make a great future President after four years of Romney!
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
Originally Posted by 496
................Wrong! Even though a Rubio fan, Paul Ryan imo will articulate to the electorate better than what Rubio could have regarding the budget, excessive govt spending, issues with medicare-medicaid, bigger govt vs smaller govt, balanced budgets, and will in every way use as much if not more offense than what Rubio could have done.

Nobody knows the budget and the overall financial condition of this country as well and how to go forward and fix it long term better than Paul Ryan.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/11/12
All depends on the extent that ethnicity, or percieved ethnicity, matters. Would Obama have won if he wasn't going to be the "first Black President"?

Does Obama's race matter? Ya, if ya read the posts of a significant portion of our own voters here on the 'Fire. And we know it sure as heck does to the Democrats.

I woulda preferred Rubio. I think those that would pay attention to Ryan's arguments are smart enough to vote Conservative anyway.

If/when Texas goes Blue the Republicans are instant has-beens in national elections. If Texas even goes swing state the Republicans are probably screwed. The MAJORITY of kids, K-12, in school in Texas are Hispanic now.

The good news is the great majority are third and fourth generation citizens, pro-religion, pro-life, and they own guns.

If ethnicity matters at all in who one votes for, and it sure as heck does to the general populace, we HAVE to have Hispanics up top.

Rubio coulda been "the first Hispanic VP", and all the buzz that would have generated. As it is, if you ask your average young Tex-Mexican about the Republican party, they'll tell you its the party of rich White guys.

Looks like we ain't gonna do anything to change that perception this time around.

And if Pat Buchanan is right (and his demographic-based logic is hard to dispute), even if we win, this could be our last Republican President.

I think Romney just 'effed up, big time.

Hope I'm wrong.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
isn't it kind of racist to assume that Mexican-descent Americans will automatically want to vote for a Cuban with a
Spanish name, or that they're so dumb they don't look at the parties' plagforms rather than the ethnicity of the candidates?

or to think they're not smart enough to notice that whatever pandering BS Obama does with his illegal executive "dream act", his policies have forced millions of their amigos to self deport because there are no jobs here?

blacks are a separate problem....Obama is their boy and very very few are going to vote against the first black president, no matter how much his policies have damaged their communities. I don't think most "Hispanics" to use the media's meaningless identifier, have any particular love lost for Obama.

Posted By: poboy Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
That's what I wonder about sometimes. Blacks and mexicans never hold hands and sing Kumbaya together down here. I think Birdy is right that we'll eventually have a mexicans running Texas.
Posted By: eyeball Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
I think BW is dead on. There is a whole world in the USA of today who would almost die before voting for a white guy.
Posted By: 496 Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
Will Hispanics say they want a white guy in the White House or a minority in the White House?
For the first time in history we had a chance for tens of millions of Hispanics to vote Republican, and rinos had them flushed again.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
isn't it kind of racist to assume that Mexican-descent Americans will automatically want to vote for a Cuban with a
Spanish name

Nope (Hispanic ain't a "race" remember grin).

There's hope when Lousiana can elect a Bobby Jindal, but even you said on the first go round when he lost that the Bubbas in the parishes just weren't ready to vote for an Indian.

I joke with my kids when it comes up that to get elected to City Council from my district I'd have to change my name to "Birdez" as in...

"Birdez: Hispanico por elecion, no por nacimiento"
("hispanic by choice, not by birth")

or...

"Birdez: Look.... my wife is Mexican"

or...

"Birdez: Because you don't vote anyway." grin

On a more serious note, the label "Hispanic" does mean something, as in all of these groups claim Spanish ancestry. And a common identity of sorts does exist.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
Steve spends too much time hangin out with white guys...
Naah, I'm pretty sure his hair is to blame.
grin

Definetly snow on that mountain!
For better or worse, someone has bet our country that the Mexican Americans aren't worth a bone to be thrown, and I'm not sure that person or cadre wants us to win.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Steve spends too much time hangin out with white guys...

meh....I know the difference between a Cuban and a Mexican, and so do Mexican American voters.

it is just so insulting to assume that people from cultures as different as Spain, the spanish speaking Caribbean, Mexico, central America, and South America....just because they or their parents or grandparents spoke Spanish at some point, are:

a)a monolithic voter block

b)for whom policy toward illegal aliens is the most important issue in life

c)don't care about economics or the unemployment rate, and

d)will go all gaga over a Cuban from Florida because his name is Rubio

it ain't true. PS, all the Cubans, Mexicans and Central Americans I know are voting Republican, regardless of who the veep nominee is.
Well, their a close knit community with their extended families. Not a smart move to assume they are all liberals.
Yea, only 87% voted BHO the last go. Fugem. It's stupid to think they would do that again, isn't it? confused crazy
Yea, only 87% voted BHO the last go. Fugem. It's stupid to think they would do that again, isn't it? confused crazy

it was 67% last time and will be substantially less this time.
Ok, good to hear that and thanks Steve.
Posted By: add Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
...PS, all the Cubans, Mexicans and Central Americans I know are voting Republican, regardless of who the veep nominee is.

Nice little cross cultural/generational GOP rino sprouts in the offing...

Forward men, reward that mediocrity!
blow me, you commie creep
Posted By: add Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
May want to consider hanging that offer on someone in a comforting row of of rino lemmings - - hispanic or not.

Don't underestimate the power of validation.
it is just so insulting to assume that people from cultures as different as Spain, the spanish speaking Caribbean, Mexico, central America, and South America....just because they or their parents or grandparents spoke Spanish at some point are....

a b c d

Never said a,b,c or d. You are simplifying and mischaracterizing an argument. I've noticed that this is what you do when you are wrong, step two when this happens is to start calling me a "Liberal", just watch wink

And your thesis here is the term "Hispanic" is an essentially meaningless one.

FWIW we got a whole bunch of "Rubios" (pronounced "Rroobioh" of course wink ) in Texas, if you dont think name recognition and perceived cultural identity mean anything, then clearly you aint ever sat in a voting booth looking at a whole list of names running for everything from President all the way down to Dogcatcher.

But here's the deal; a while ago you were posting that Romney was gonna blow Obama out of the water. I dont think thats true. Even Florida could be a swing state.

ANYTHING that energizes people to get out and vote could be critical.

Romney, whatever his vaunted management skills may be, comes across like Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island. The guy and his wife come across as White with a capital "W", country club all the way. Doesn't matter what the facts are, elections are the art of managing perception.

Romney has just handed the Democrats the title of "non-WASP" party all over again.

If I were the Republicans I would be falling all over Texas Mexicans. See, contrary to the beliefs of some of the mouthbreathers here, these people are 100% American. Baseball, hotdogs and apple pie all the way, with a Latino twist.

I call 'em Brown-dog Democrats, just like Yellow-dog Democrats did, a lot of 'em vote that party because they and theirs always have.

What they ARE rapidly becoming is THE most critical voting block in America. Without Texas, we're screwed, done.

It has been said that a Ronald Reagan could never have even begun his political career in the California of today. Ya dont gotta be a rocket scientist to see Texas going the same way.

So ya, the last thing we needed at this point was another lilly-White ticket, both for this election and for the next.

Rubio could have made all the exact same arguments Ryan will, and been in the exact same debates. I predict a significant number of Texas Hispanics will just sit this election out, not vote at all.

Birdwatcher
BW, I fear that we are only too correct, and for a pittance of what the RNC is paying it's think tank brains, we could have saved them another election.

I think their mistake is severe enough to warrant the consideration they only want a job, and not a win in Nov. Believe me, I am not the only one considering this and is a reason many think either party is leading us to the proverbial cliff.
I just can't see how Rubio wouldn't have put Florida and Arizona solidly in the Republican camp, and possibly Colorado.
Well, the DEMOCRATS at least have been listening to Buchanan, 'Bammy hisself alluded to Texas becoming a swing state last time he was here.

This here is the present Mayor of San Antonio; Julian Castro, Democrat.

[Linked Image]

Local kid, from the South Side, but NOT a typical one.

You can draw a LOT of parallels between him and Obama. Like Obama, the Castro twins (the other one currently holds office in the Texas House IIRC) did not have a father growing up.

Like Obama, Julian Castro has carefully downplayed his radical roots. Rosie Castro, his mom, was an unmarried mother and Seventies practitioner of race-based politics, being a leader in the Raza Unida party at the time.

Like Obama, Castro is a graduate of Harvard Law School.

Since he took office, his most notable achievement has been to revive racial politics by having a fine old historic street downtown renamed after Caesar Chavez (who yer average Tex-Mexican could GAS about).

Guess who is going to be the keynote speaker at the 2012 Democratic National Convention?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/31/democrats-julian-castro-keynote-address

Democrats pick San Antonio mayor Julian Castro to give keynote address

Castro becomes first Hispanic to give the address in move seen as part of Obama's campaign to bring more Latinos into fold

The DNC, looking to the future, clearly has a jones on for Tex-Mexicans, even as the RNC ignores the issue.

Birdwatcher

Posted By: wildbill59 Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12

Tell that to Cheney.

That's because Cheney was the brains behind the operation.
He never had problems eating pretzels and watching TV
The Mexican vote in Texas is just a passing fad. wink After the libs run us to ruin there will be no voting.
Posted By: isaac Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
There will likely be no Hispanics as it will become more prosperous for them to go back to their home country.
har, har, har, Bob. grin
There will likely be no Hispanics as it will become more prosperous for them to go back to their home country.

The thing is of course, for the ten million and growing Tex-Mexicans, the United States IS their home country, has been for generations.

Birdwatcher
Bird, I wasn't responding specifically to you, but those four points obviously underly your argument, and they are classic demo speak/group identity politics analysis. doesn't mean you're a lib, it means you're analyzing people in herds, by their supposed dominant interest group, rather than as individuals.

If I'm Jose Lopez, a Dallas resident and concrete finisher, and third generation American....do I vote like a Dallas resident, a Rangers fan, a member of a construction trade, a Catholic, or a Mexican? do I vote for the person I think will boost the economy, or the one who will help illegal aliens compete with me?

It is silly and simplistic to think a Spanish sounding name makes voters peculiarly stupid or subject to childish influences, or a monolith like blacks are. McCain got a third of the "hispanic" vote, and despite his "dreamin'", Obama has done less than zero for the economy in which all Americans live, and particularly those on the bottom rungs and those in the construction and oil and gas trades.

To think that the name of Rubio has some magic that will convert left wing Mexican voters to Republicans is just not realistic, and conservatives don't need another reason to vote against Obama. Rubio has issues of his own which would have distracted from the theme of economic contrasts.
Posted By: funshooter Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

The thing is of course, for the ten million and growing Tex-Mexicans, the United States IS their home country, has been for generations.

Birdwatcher

If this is there country then why do must of them say that when they retire they are going back to THERE country to live. If this were THERE country they would say it was THERE country. They only use the United States of America to leach off of until it is time for them to leave. They bad mouth OUR country constantly and I do know this because I work with a bunch of them third and fourth generation in this country and all they talk about is going back to THERE country and I have been invited to join some of them in THERE country it makes me sick on how they take advantage of the system here.
I don't think pandering really impresses people that much.....Castro is another pretty boy empty suit like Obama, different shade.

Texas is a generation, at least, from turning blue. McCain, who was not particularly popular in Texas, beat Obama by nearly a million votes, you may recall.
Steve, around here, Hispanics making good money in the oil field and working with large US companies will probably vote republican. Most hispanics are as you portrayed and I figure 90% of them will vote dimocrat. They are often paid in cash and get the food stamps and other govt. benefits and that is the norm. Often they live in nice house and drive a F-250. Their wife draws welfare on the kids and hubby disappears from home for a week or two when welfare notifies her to send him away as they are coming to check things out. I have patients who work for the govt agencies admit this to me. I see the kids on welfare on a yearly basis and they wear nice clothes, Nikes, and I phones. It is rare for any of them to pay for ANY (from before birth until grown) medical expenses as living on welfare is a way of life.
Yeah, we see the same thing here.....Mexican women and chirren shopping with LaPurchase or Lone Star food stamp cards in stores in New Orleans, well dressed and driving nice trucks. Husbands working construction.

Fortunately, most aren't citizens, and La. has an ID requirement to vote. Plus, Obama will lose this state by 25 points anyway. wink
I have seen children suffer from lack of medical care when changing financial conditions resulted in long waits for govt clearance to pay. when informed they can pay for their kids medical care if govt fails to do so they are often incredulous to the concept, even though their child may have been suffering miserably.

The concept of most to vote republican is inconceivable, unless they are white collar, professional or semi-professional. Even then, those educated hispanics in education and medicine (and there are many) would feel like traitors to do so.
yeah....being responsible for your own medical care....who'd have guessed you could do that?
Posted By: Seafire Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
"I see the kids on welfare on a yearly basis and they wear nice clothes, Nikes, and I phones. It is rare for any of them to pay for ANY (from before birth until grown) medical expenses as living on welfare is a way of life."

as the point is well made by Eyeball... these folks are smart enough to figure out the welfare system and how to milk it...

you'd think they would put those efforts into something positive, and contribute to our economy....if the Feds didn't make it so easy for them to milk taxpayers money... becoming a drain on the economy, instead of contributors...
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
Originally Posted by Seafire
"I see the kids on welfare on a yearly basis and they wear nice clothes, Nikes, and I phones. It is rare for any of them to pay for ANY (from before birth until grown) medical expenses as living on welfare is a way of life."

as the point is well made by Eyeball... these folks are smart enough to figure out the welfare system and how to milk it...

you'd think they would put those efforts into something positive, and contribute to our economy....if the Feds didn't make it so easy for them to milk taxpayers money... becoming a drain on the economy, instead of contributors...
Which is why charitable endeavors should be exclusively within the domain of the private sector. Private charitable foundations are innately motivated to maximize their limited resources so as to benefit only those most in immediate need, thus they would quickly identify and eliminate from their rolls those who are milking them in order to make their lives more leisurely. Government, on the contrary, is motivated in the reverse, i.e., to constantly increase the number of people they are extending services too, because resources for them are unlimited in potential, and increasing them increases their job security.
Posted By: KFWA Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12

As calculating and safe as Romney is, I'm sure he had his reasons for going with Ryan. It says "look, I'm serious about this deficit and growing spending".

The question is - will Romney attempt to implement Ryan's plan?

Otherwise Ryan has a 10 year plan and won't be able to implement it until 2020 assuming American's don't turn on Romney during that time.

Posted By: poboy Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
The mexicans don't have to "figure out the welfare system" as they are openly recruited by the system both here and in Mexico. It's all spelled out and you would be a fool not to use it.
it's amazing how many nice cars you can have when you get free food, school, medicine, and medical care. It sure stimulates the economy too.
it's like putting out cat food every night and then acting surprised when you've got an army of stray cats around your house...d'uh
It is silly and simplistic to think a Spanish sounding name makes voters peculiarly stupid or subject to childish influences

Have you spoken to many voters?

IME "silly and simplistic" reasons are usually pretty high on the list.

....else this election wouldn't be turning into the horse race that it is.

Birdwatcher
If this is there country then why do must of them say that when they retire they are going back to THERE country to live.

Do not confuse Cali with Texas.

The only Texans I know of who retired in Mexico are Anglos, typically educated types going to trendy places like San Miguel de Allende. Seriously, in thirty years I haven't met a Tex-Mexican who retired down there, I'd guess at least half around here have never even been to visit.

Birdwatcher
particularly now, when you can literally lose your head by moving to Mexico
He'll. They don't have welfare.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
He'll. They don't have welfare.

They don't need welfare. With the help of the Dept. of Ag. the Mexican gov. is telling mexicans to get their welfare in the USA and showing them on mexican tv how to do it!

I think they called it "collaboration".
Posted By: 496 Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/12/12
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Well, the DEMOCRATS at least have been listening to Buchanan, 'Bammy hisself alluded to Texas becoming a swing state last time he was here.

This here is the present Mayor of San Antonio; Julian Castro, Democrat.

[Linked Image]

Local kid, from the South Side, but NOT a typical one.

You can draw a LOT of parallels between him and Obama. Like Obama, the Castro twins (the other one currently holds office in the Texas House IIRC) did not have a father growing up.

Like Obama, Julian Castro has carefully downplayed his radical roots. Rosie Castro, his mom, was an unmarried mother and Seventies practitioner of race-based politics, being a leader in the Raza Unida party at the time.

Like Obama, Castro is a graduate of Harvard Law School.

Since he took office, his most notable achievement has been to revive racial politics by having a fine old historic street downtown renamed after Caesar Chavez (who yer average Tex-Mexican could GAS about).

Guess who is going to be the keynote speaker at the 2012 Democratic National Convention?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/31/democrats-julian-castro-keynote-address

Democrats pick San Antonio mayor Julian Castro to give keynote address

Castro becomes first Hispanic to give the address in move seen as part of Obama's campaign to bring more Latinos into fold

The DNC, looking to the future, clearly has a jones on for Tex-Mexicans, even as the RNC ignores the issue.

Birdwatcher

If Obama keeps pulling stunts like that Romney is going to have a hard time.
Romney will carry Texas by a million votes, and he will win Arizona. The Mexican vote is not going to decide this election.

We know Obama wins California. The only two battleground states where Mexican votes will matter are NM and Colo. Doubt they will be dispositive of the result there, either.

Fortunately, non-citizens can't vote, although Obama will try his hardest to get them to.
I hope you are right. Maybe the elite rinos didn't like rubios illegal alien plan and feltnthey could squeak by this time. IMO they aren't sharp enough to bet on after Bush1 and McClame.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/13/12
I hope you are right. Maybe the elite rinos didn't like rubios illegal alien plan and feltnthey could squeak by this time. IMO they aren't sharp enough to bet on after Bush1 and McClame.

Rubio said himself that as a Jr. Congressman, he had a lot to learn about Washington.

Have you ever thought that Rubio may have said NO to the Romney camp?

Why would Rubio taint himself with a Ronbama association? He has too much going for him.
Posted By: eyeball Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/13/12
He sure wasn't on tv today applauding the decision, unless I missed it.
Posted By: mar21457 Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/13/12
Cant wait till he debates brain dead Joe Biden.
Posted By: mar21457 Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/13/12
Scratch a liberal and you'll find a communist
Originally Posted by mar21457
Cant wait till he debates brain dead Joe Biden.
Posted By: PreciousLiberty Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/13/12
Originally Posted by 496

Rumor has it that Rubio is vulnerable on the scandal front. Ryan still provides a lot of the same boost as a devout Catholic.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: No not Paul Ryan - 08/13/12
That may only show his desire for Obama to go. That has been his message from the start.

I did not see him on TV.
© 24hourcampfire