Home
Posted By: mack5511 Electrician Input? - 08/25/12
Well just got an estimate for some electrical problems we are having. I am wondering if the estimate is close to what it should be or am I an grab my ankles and get Obambammed?

Estimate is to replace the masthead, meter-box, and remove the 125 A service and upgrade to 200 A panel. This includes all new wire and hardware from the main powerline coming into the house on the roof.

Estimate was for $4200

Does this sound anywhere in the ballpark?

Mack
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
I am not a licensed electrician. But I have installed three services as you describe. They really are not all that hard.

The parts will run you less than a grand unless you are installing a long run of wire.
Posted By: UncleJake Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
If it involves the power company stringing new feeds, and installing a new meter (most likely) it is a fair price, so long as it is being done by a licensed, insured, and bonded electrical contractor.

(I am an electrician).
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
Sounds steep, Get a few more estimates.

I would think for that job it would be between 1500 and 2500.
Posted By: model70man Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
I would check with someone else. $4200 is ridiculous.
Posted By: mack5511 Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
It is a licensed electrician and I don't think the power company is running new leads but everything but that.

The issue is that one of the lugs on the meter box has gotten so hot it is warped. It can't be tightened down to clamp the main lead. So the box needs to be replaced.

The issue that lead to calling an electrician in the first place was the 125A main tripping last night. It was so hot you could not hardly touch it. Upon looking at it today the electrician that the 30A breaker from the AC and the 125A main be replaced. He cut power by removing the meter to work on the main upon inspection he found the lug on the meter and you could clearly see the evidence of heat.

He said that either the loose connection in the meter was creating the problem with the 125A main or the fact that the 125A was loose was causing feedback to the meter.

I know something about electrical work but not this. Does this explanation make sense?

Posted By: UncleJake Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
Sorta makes sense the way you describe it. Without the power co. being involved, 42 seems a bit high, but I am not familiar with your market conditions. But if it is an emergency callout, on the weekend.....

On most meter cans going back to the early '80's, the lugs can be replaced. A possible option. Maybe.

I still think that the power co. will be involved at some level, since it sounds like he cut the seal on the meter (not that there aren't ways around that), and I would be surprised if the aerial feeds for the 125 were also rated up to 200A.

But my boots aren't the one on the ground, so who knows.
Posted By: rong Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
justhad the service replaced on a flip we're doing,new panel,riser,meter cabinet,by liscensed electrician $ 1100.00
might want a second +third estimate.
UncleJake,

Thanks for the input, I thought it was high but I don't know the market here either. I do know that we have a hurricane approaching and I am sure these guys are going to be busy.

Mack
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
Originally Posted by rong
justhad the service replaced on a flip we're doing,new panel,riser,meter cabinet,by liscensed electrician $ 1100.00
might want a second +third estimate.

What he said. If it's a simple change to a 200 amp panel with new mast and all the existing load wires transfer over to the new breakers, I'd definitely get a second opinion. It sounds at least twice as high as I would guess it to be.

The problem with estimating these things over the internet is things are sometimes not as they seem in the initial description.
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
From your description, My opinion is that this amount is out of line and potentially by a large amount. You should pm me, I am happy to talk this through with you sir.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
2500 is a little on the high side, but it isn't a raping, like the one you are about to take with that guy if you choose him. I would ask for a detailed estimate of the expenses before you bite. You can go to home depot buy the 200 amp value pack panel that comes with the breakers for under 200. A overhead meter can will run you about 60 bucks. Is your riser a pipe riser to the weather head or wire? You will probably look at another 200 for the pipe and fittings. Add another 300 for misc. ground rods, breakers, and straps and fittings. And you are still under a 1000. If your panel is flush mounted into the wall I would see how labor would be a bit more pricy it is a bitch cutting, fitting, and fishing everything back in place. I have seen a few of the panels in florida and they do look like a bitch to replace. Still you should be able to save at least a grand in the worse case, and two in the best case.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
$4200 is outrageously high!I have an electrician friend that lives in Tampa and he's here visiting for another week if you like I can get you in touch with him
Posted By: Strick9 Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
most lugs on meter boxes are replaceable...15 bucks
main breaker also replaceable....45 bucks
35 amp breaker....15 bucks
This is the estimate from the electrician. There was a credit of 400 for the work they did yesterday or it would have been 4600.

As it was a safety issue with the lug we gave a deposit to get started right away.

If it is way out of line what is our recourse on the deposit. We did use a CC.

Worst part is being away from MN as I have friends there and would have been able to get them to look at it. I don't begrudge a company making $$$ but sticking it to me is a different deal.

Estimate is below.

Meter

Install new complete service, upgrading to 200 amp.

Line

No. Item Description Specifications Qty Cost Total

Service 200 Amp Complete Install new service complete with ground system. 1 $ 2,410.80 $$ 2,410.80

Sub Total Meter $ 2,410.80

Panel

Remove 125 amp service and us panel in garage and install 200 amp panel with surge protection.

Line

No. Item Description Specifications Qty Cost Total

Service Breaker Panel 200 Amp 1 $ 2,266.80 $$ 2,266.80
Main Breaker 40 Circuits

Sub Total Panel $ 2,266.80

Page No. 1 Initial ___________
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
Will the work they did hold you over until you can get a few more estimates? If so I would eat the 400 and safe another 1000 or so.
It should but I saw the lug and the bolt holding the main wire could only get about finger tight. That lug is shot pretty bad. Just don't want to have a major safety hazard or lose power completely as warm as it is.
Posted By: lightman Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
Where I live,that price is over twice what it should be.Cheapest is not always better,but I would get a few more prices.The $400.00 charge sounds expensive,too.A finger tight connection will only get worse,and is dangerous,so don't wait too long. Lightman
Originally Posted by mack5511

Estimate is to replace the masthead, meter-box, and remove the 125 A service and upgrade to 200 A panel. This includes all new wire and hardware from the main powerline coming into the house on the roof.

Mack

IIRC, the power company's responsible for everything that goes up to & including the meter...IMHO, the charges are way too high.
I'm usually inclined towards learning to do stuff myself including buying the tools I'll need to get the job done. Usually you can buy the materials, tools to do the job & gain the experience & confidence to do it yourself for way less than you'll end up paying somebody else to do it for you.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
Sounds high to me as well. I do all the stuff on my own houses except main box electrical. When I bought this house it needed some work.

I had them put in a mast head and a 200 amp box on the shop that didn't have electricty and the power company came and put out a meter. I did the wiring.

They replaced the cables from the meter to the box in the house, re-organized the box, ran 2 new circuits from the house out the detached carport for lights and plugs with buried cable in a conduit, put in a new circuit and outlets in the sunroom, rewired the 2 lights in the living room which involved taking down a fan from an 18' tall celing and putting up a big hanging light and moving the fan to the other box and rewiring/moving the switches for each, ran a new circuit with switch and buring cable in conduit out to the light in the circle drive.

All that and it was around $1800.
Posted By: fat_daddy Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
i am a licensed electrician in several states and although i cant speak for your area but to me that seems high.i just did a service change out,new panel,meter base and disconnect and new riser for $1500.now that was a family discount and i used top of the line equipment.
Posted By: grdad45 Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
I'm a retired electician, and I think the quote was about double what it should be. Looks like he was trying to make his week's worth of profit on a half-day's job.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
I will take a wild guess it was a company with a full page yellow page ad and "up front pricing". The ones around here charge $2-250 an hour in their up front pricing.

Keep shopping and you will find much better pricing.
Posted By: amax155 Re: Electrician Input? - 08/26/12
That is a 1500 dollar job all day long around here.
Posted By: rong Re: Electrician Input? - 08/27/12
I'm all for do it yourself,But not on a service change out.as mentioned eat the $400.00,and get a couple more estimates.Its twice to three times what it should be.
Posted By: rong Re: Electrician Input? - 08/27/12
Also some contractors prices increase dramatically when you are in desperate shape,usually they will jump right on it and not give you time to get other quotes.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Electrician Input? - 08/27/12
Most areas here, the meter socket/can is always FREE. That way you get the right one for the companies meters...

I'm with a city, and we never charge to disconnect, reconnect or upgrade our service drops to your weatherhead/meter socket.

In fact we still charge only 4.75 a foot for underground installed... to get from us to your socket...

As others have noted though, areas vary in price/cost.

Unless your mast is really tall, I bought everything you need to replace yours, breakers included AND a 225 amp manual double pole double throw switch for generator usage for just at the 1000.00 mark. Appx 12 foot riser height.

Took me an evening to build the loop in the carport, nothign more than assembling parts..

Rural electric came out that morning and dropped the door, I replaced the service and doing it almost all by myself, they were back around 3 or 4 IIRC, and I was done and they heated the service back up again.

Took me maybe 10-12 hours max of my time basically.

Just as an FYI

I'd get some more bids for sure, then you have a much better idea of where you stand.

Generally speaking what I hear around here rurally, your job is appx 1200-1500 bucks on average.
Posted By: mack5511 Re: Electrician Input? - 08/29/12
Update: after all the input from the fire I contacted another electrician and the ended up at around 2K for the same job that was originally quoted at 4600 gross 4200 net.

I would like to thank you all for you input without it I am sure I would have just sucked it up and paid the price.

Anyone of you in the area the beers are on me!!!

2K is no picnic but is light years ahead of 4K

Thanks again!!!
Posted By: fat_daddy Re: Electrician Input? - 08/29/12
Update: after all the input from the fire I contacted another electrician and the ended up at around 2K for the same job that was originally quoted at 4600 gross 4200 net.

I would like to thank you all for you input without it I am sure I would have just sucked it up and paid the price.

Anyone of you in the area the beers are on me!!!

2K is no picnic but is light years ahead of 4K

Thanks again!!!
thats great,glad you were able to get the cost down closer to where i thought it should have been.
Posted By: mack5511 Re: Electrician Input? - 08/29/12
Thanks Fat Daddy this is one of the reasons I enjoy the fire. For ever bit of drama that is posted when someone is in need the folks here step up with advice and knowledge. Like I said if your ever in the Tampa area the beer is on me.
Posted By: rong Re: Electrician Input? - 08/29/12
good deal,2k is better in your pocket than paying for someones country club membership.
Posted By: fat_daddy Re: Electrician Input? - 08/29/12
Thanks Fat Daddy this is one of the reasons I enjoy the fire. For ever bit of drama that is posted when someone is in need the folks here step up with advice and knowledge. Like I said if your ever in the Tampa area the beer is on me.
my stay here has been a rocky one and trying at times but there seems to be a good bunch of folks here.i posted because it burns me up that people in my trade try to take advantage of descent people.times are tough for all of us but that dosent give us the right to gouge and take advantage of people in need of our services.i travel from coast to coast pretty regular and i appreciate the beer.i may take you up on it one day smile
Posted By: slumlord Re: Electrician Input? - 08/29/12
I need to change-upgrade my service from 200amp to 400amp

However, I really don't want codes dept sniffing around my compounderr, home.

Last permit I pulled was about 2200 square ft ago laugh whistle

I did perform a backfeed from my detached garage via underground run. That is on another transformer and 100amp service. I siphoned off about 60amps for additions here at the house 200ft away. LOL

© 24hourcampfire