Home
I saw this on the news last night. A 64 year old man may be charged with second degree murder after shooting two burglars in his home. This was the eigth burglary.
he should be!!.....he missed 3 other burglars! !!!
Where do I send a check?
You should also know he did not report it until the police came by the next day. The two were in his basement.
From the Star Tribune

Charges: Rifle jammed, she laughed, so he killed her with a pistol

A 64-year-old man was charged Monday with murdering two teenagers who broke into his home on the outskirts of Little Falls, Minn., shooting each of them at close range in the head after he had already wounded them.

Byron David Smith was charged in Morrison County District Court with two counts of second-degree murder without premeditation in the killings of Nicholas Brady, 17, and his cousin Haile Kifer, 18. Smith is scheduled to appear in court later Monday.

The criminal complaint says that Smith shot the two as they came down his basement stairs several minutes apart on Thanksgiving Day. The complaint adds that he shot them numerous times.

He then waited a day before asking a neighbor to alert authorities, the document added. Smith showed investigators the bodies, was arrested and has remained jailed since.

According to the complaint, Smith told investigators:

He heard glass breaking around noon Thursday while he was in the basement. It was the latest of several break-ins that he's experienced. Brady started coming down the stairs, and Smith shot him with a rifle by the time he saw the intruder's hips.

Brady fell down the stairs and was looking up at Smith when the homeowner shot him in the face.

"I want him dead," Smith explained to the investigator for the additional shot.

Smith put Brady's body on a tarp and dragged him to an office workshop.

A few minutes later, Smith heard footsteps above him. As in Brady's case, Kifer too started down the stairs and was shot by Smith by the time he saw her hips, sending her tumbling down the stairs.

Smith attempted to shoot her again, but his rifle jammed, prompting Kifer to laugh.

Upset, Smith, pulled out a revolver he had on him and shot her "more times than I needed to" in the chest, he said.

Smith dragged Kifer next to Brady as she gasped for her life. He pressed the revolver's barrel under her chin and pulled the trigger in what he described as a "good, clean finishing shot" that was meant to end her suffering.

Smith acknowledged leaving the bodies in his home overnight before calling a neighbor to askabout a lawyer and to request that authorities be notified.

Two other news accounts:

GA Daily News

kstp.com
Whoops. Bad judgement calls there.

I will shoot until nothing moves if I ever have to and worry later... but calling cops/lawyers the next day... and then opening your mouth to actually talk to LEO... nope...
Originally Posted by whelennut
I saw this on the news last night. A 64 year old man may be charged with second degree murder after shooting two burglars in his home. This was the eigth burglary.

If this took place in Minnesota....I'm NOT SURPRISED!! sleep crazy
.....and two more dirtbags hit the worms. I bet nobody in that hood' screws with the "ole man" again.
Anyone actually read anything about this? The guy, from what I can tell, NEVER called the police. A neighbor did to report suspicious activity or something.

Assuming it was a good shoot is really, really reaching without more information.
Sounds to me like the only thing he'll be defending for the rest of his life will be his cell.

If the account above is accurate, he deserves it.
Thi one is a bit to hinky not to charge him.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Sounds to me like the only thing he'll be defending for the rest of his life will be his cell.

If the account above is accurate, he deserves it.

I was beginning to wonder if anyone actually read the news account I posted.
All kinds of hinky on this case on both sides, there is gonna be a news conference at 1 today about it.
AP article. http://enews.earthlink.net/article/us?guid=20121126/1bdb6bbe-7c98-46a3-a5ce-83e414cfe213
The guy was an idiot. Did they deserve shooting? Sure, they broke in. You break into my house, you get shot, period. But his actions during the shoot and especially afterwards will sink him.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
AP article. http://enews.earthlink.net/article/us?guid=20121126/1bdb6bbe-7c98-46a3-a5ce-83e414cfe213
The guy was an idiot. Did they deserve shooting? Sure, they broke in. You break into my house, you get shot, period. But his actions during the shoot and especially afterwards will sink him.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I think that's right.

You shoot someone that broke in, you call the cops immediately or yer gonna be in the schitter.
A criminal complaint says Smith told investigators he shot Schaeffel when the teen had partially descended the stairs, then fired again into the teen's face as he lay on the floor looking at him.

"I want him dead," the complaint quoted Smith telling an investigator.

He then described sitting down again in his chair, and in a few minutes, the second teen -- Kifer -- began walking down the steps. Smith said he shot her and she also fell down the stairs. He said he tried to shoot her again, and when his Mini 14 rifle jammed, she laughed at him.

Smith told investigators that made him mad: "If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again," he said, according to the complaint.

Smith said he then pulled out a .22-caliber revolver he was wearing and shot Kifer several times in the chest. He fired a final shot under her chin because she was still gasping for air a few minutes later, he said.

The guy doesn't sound like the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, eh?
Looks like we all win. Three scums removed from society.
Must be New York City or Chicago, or some place like that, right?
Originally Posted by TJAY
You should also know he did not report it until the police came by the next day. The two were in his basement.
Well, I guess that's a little different. I guess he never heard of SS&S. laugh
dude could have handled all that a bit differently. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

I have never seen a Mini-14 jam though. The 'facts' in the story might be at odds with the truth.
Sounds like murder to me, once he had them stopped he should have as well. JUST PLAIN DUMB!
Just because (for the sake of argument) the people who got shot were scum doesn't mean that the person who done the shooting isn't scum as well.

Ignorance can be cured with education. Stupid, however, is forever....
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Must be New York City or Chicago, or some place like that, right?
Little Falls, MN...

Yeah, readin' the full story makes me think the jury's gonna have a rather simple case to say GUILTY.. I just wonder though if it'll get dropped down to something less than 2nd degree... They DID break in after all and he does have the right to defend - just not to that degree, I feel..
When they ceased to be a threat, his right to shoot them also ceased.

Ernie

He's a nut case and needs to be put away.
Originally Posted by EWY
When they ceased to be a threat, his right to shoot them also ceased.

Ernie

The threat ended when they were dead!
Break into a crazy man's house, win stupid prizes.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
+1, And they probably knew he was not playing with a full deck.
Technically, we're not even allowed to do that crap to enemy combatants in a time of War....
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

If he's a Nutcase or not, someone breaks into someone's home should be shot.

If more people were shot for chit like this, than the people doing the crime might give a second thought to not doing it.
doesn't sound like a good shoot based on the info provided. But as Paul Harvey used to say now for the rest of the story.

tom
I seriously doubt if she was laughing after getting shot. His story doesn't quite add up.
The way I see it he did four dumb things on the first guy alone.

1) he should have shot the first guy like BANG, BANG, BANG, don�t wait to see if he is still alive, then shoot him again.

2) he admitted he waited to see if he is still alive, then shot him again.

3) Never move the body!

4) Call 911 immediately! Don�t wait until the next day.
He sounds sick, and the story doesn't make sense for reasons listed. She followed after gunshots then laughed after being shot?
Boy, you talking about picking the wrong house to break into.

I didn't read the part in the article about what kind of rifle he was shooting, but if it was a mini 14, I'd hate to see what kind of hide would take a .223 through the hips and then laugh when she saw the rifle jammed.

The shooter sounds like a kook, but burglary is dangerous business.
The Star Tribune has updated their story:

Charges: Point-blank shots finished off wounded teen intruders

Article by: CURT BROWN AND PAUL WALSH , Star Tribune staff writers

Updated: November 26, 2012 - 3:03 PM

LITTLE FALLS, MINN. -- A 64-year-old man was charged Monday with murdering two teenagers who broke into his home on the outskirts of Little Falls, shooting each of them at close range in the head after having already wounded them.

Byron David Smith was charged in Morrison County District Court with two counts of second-degree murder without premeditation in the killings of Nicholas Brady, 17, and his cousin Haile Kifer, 18.

The criminal complaint says that Smith shot the two as they came down his basement stairs several minutes apart on Thanksgiving Day. The complaint adds that he shot them numerous times.

He then waited a day before asking a neighbor to alert authorities about what he had done, the document added. Smith showed investigators the bodies, was arrested and has remained jailed since.

Smith appeared for a 10-minute court hearing late Monday morning wearing an orange jumpsuit, his hands and feet in shackles. Bail was set at $2 million, with the prosecution noting the defendant's extensive travels to Beijing, Bangkok, Moscow and elsewhere overseas while he was working for the U.S. State Department.

In asking for the high bail figure, County Attorney Brian Middendorf said the incident was a case of cold-blooded murder. "The circumstances are appalling and far beyond any self-defense claim," he said.

Sheriff Michel Wetzel told reporters Monday afternoon that Smith explained to authorities that he didn't call immediately after killing the two because "it was Thanksgiving. He didn't want to trouble us on a holiday."

As for whether Smith could be justified in shooting intruders, Wetzel said that a citizen does have to right to protect person or property, but it has to be reasonable.

What Smith did "went further than the law. It doesn't permit you to execute once the threat is gone."

Defense attorney Gregory Larson declined to comment after the hearing, saying he wanted more time to study the case.

About a dozen family members of the teens attended the hearing.

At court in support of the defendant was friend John Lange, who said Smith had been targeted at least six times for break-ins and doesn't deserve to be in jail for protecting his home. "They tortured him and targeted him, and it's not good," Lange said. "One time alone would be too much. It's terrible."

The Sheriff's Office said it has received only one previous report of a break-in at the home, in October, and there have been no arrests in that incident.

He heard glass breaking around noon Thursday while he was in the basement. It was the latest of several break-ins that he's experienced. Brady started coming down the stairs, and Smith shot him with a rifle by the time he saw the intruder's hips.

Brady fell down the stairs and was looking up at Smith when the homeowner shot him in the face.

A few minutes later, Smith heard footsteps above him. As in Brady's case, Kifer too started down the stairs and was shot by Smith by the time he saw her hips, sending her tumbling down the stairs.

Smith attempted to shoot her again, but his rifle jammed, prompting Kifer to laugh.

Upset, Smith, pulled out a revolver he had on him and shot her "more times than I needed to" in the chest, he said.

Smith dragged Kifer next to Brady as she gasped for her life. He pressed the revolver's barrel under her chin and pulled the trigger in what he described as a "good, clean finishing shot" that was meant to end her suffering.

Smith acknowledged leaving the bodies in his home overnight before calling a neighbor to ask about a lawyer and to request that authorities be notified.

Tessa Ruth, an aunt of Brady, was at the hearing and said she wished Smith had fired a warning shot or called police instead of shooting. "It wasn't right for them to be there and, yes, he had a right to defend himself. But to execute them like that . . ."

And kstp.com has some more info:

Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel says, "The reason Smith said he didn't call in right away was because it was Thanksgiving and he didn't want to trouble us on a holiday."

Man Charged in Murder of Little Falls Teens: 'Fired More Shots than Needed'

[Linked Image]

Updated: 11/26/2012 2:16 PM KSTP.com By: Leslie Dyste

A 64-year-old man has been charged in the deadly shooting of two Little Falls teens.

According to authorities, Byron Smith of Belle Prairie Township is charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of 17-year-old Nicholas Brady and 18-year-old Haile Kifer.

The Sheriff's office says Smith shot and killed Brady and Kifer after the two broke into his home.

Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel says they believe this was a burglary.

According to the criminal complaint, Smith said he was in his basement on Thanksgiving when he heard two people breaking into his home upstairs. He said he heard a window break.

He saw the first pair of legs walk down the stairs and shot the man, later identified as Brady in the legs. He then shot him in the face.

He dragged Brady's body on a tarp to an office room in the basement, and returned to his chair and sat back down.

A few minutes later another person came down the stairs. He said he shot the woman, later identified as Kifer.

Smith said he tried to shoot her again, and the gun jammed. He said she laughed at him, but 'It was not a very long laugh because she was already hurting.' He pulled out another gun and shot her in the chest and then under the chin.

According to authorities he told investigators, "If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again." He said he feared the two teenagers had weapons. Authorities say the teenagers did not have weapons.

Smith acknowledged he had "Fired more shots than (he) needed to."

Smith said he then dragged that body into the room where the other body was. He said he noticed the man was still gasping, and he fired another shot.

Smith never called 911. He called a neighbor Friday morning asking if the neighbor knew any lawyers.

A neighbor contacted police Friday afternoon.

Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel says, "The reason Smith said he didn't call in right away was because it was Thanksgiving and he didn't want to trouble us on a holiday."

Authorities say when deputies arrived at Smith's home, he answered the door he told deputies he had shot the teens.

Right now Minnesota law allows the use of deadly force from inside your home if it's necessary. According to Wetzel, "This case went further than that. The law does not permit you to execute someone after the threat is gone."

The county attorney Brian Middendorf said, this is a controversial case. "I would not ask that people rush to judgment. Smith is entitled to a fair process."

Smith's bail was set at a $2 million unconditional bond or a $1 million bond with the condition he cannot leave the state, and would have to surrender his passport and guns.

There is at least one prior report of a break in at his home in October.

The next court date has not yet been set.

Authorities say this is still an active and ongoing investigation.
If you break into homes you just might break into a very bad persons home.
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
[/quote]Yeah, he's sane all right.....
"just a good clean finishing shot". Geezus! Talk about breaking into the wrong house.
He gives the rest of us gun owners a bad name and adds fuel to the fires of the anti gunners.
They broke into the wrong house. Wow, what a crazy story. Girl could have been raped, etc. Hopefully some good will come of this and kids will think twice before breaking and entering. Stupid kids.. and it cost them.
Well there not nearly a cute as Trevon Martin oberry's possible son.
Hard to believe a teenage girl would go down stairs after hearing gunfire coming from the basement. Even stranger for her to laugh after taking a bullet in the hip. I think these people were on drugs maybe all of them.
He does have one advantage, they can't tell their side of the story.
whelennut
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
+1, And they probably knew he was not playing with a full deck.

Correct, he may be an old Veteran with a couple mental issues, shoulda just drilled both in the femoral and called the Cops.

Gunner
Sounds like drugs involved - big time.
2 drug'es are dead = 2 less to break into your house - not good either way- http://stmedia.startribune.com/documents/Criminal+Complaint+-+BYRON+SMITH.pdf
Originally Posted by cal74
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

If he's a Nutcase or not, someone breaks into someone's home should be shot.

If more people were shot for chit like this, than the people doing the crime might give a second thought to not doing it.

I guess you didn't read his comments.

If you did, you'd realize he's probably worse than the people he shot.

I never said you don't have a right to defend your home. I do say you don't have a right to execute some wounded kids and hide their bodies for a few days.

I guess I'm strange like that...

I read some of the online info. Supposedly the girl was laying there still breathing so this piece of schit put the pistol under her chin and put one in her cranium. What a [bleep] nut bag.
You older guys will remember Idaho's would be mountain man Claude Dallas. He did exactly this same thing and ended up doing 20 years. He had a run in with 2 game wardens and in the ensuing shoot out, he put them both down. He made his mistake by then shooting both in the head. If he hadn't done that, he had a good chance of being acquitted for self defense. However, he turned it into 2d degree murder.
and yet easily avoided by not breaking into a house that had already been burglarized multiple times. Somebody just might want to take his frustrations out on you Bernie Goetz style.
Me and "the boys" were shot at with a shot gun when we stirred up the WRONG [bleep] BEES NEST when we were about 10. Dude started with a cup of water, then a pitcher, then the double barrels came out the window. Both barrels blazed at our running azzes. We were literally stirring up the bees, and [bleep] up the side of the guys shed in the process.

We deserved it, and didn't dare "report" the guy, lest we got a real azz beating from pops, which we also deserved... kinda wish other kids learned the same lessons earlier in life. Don't [bleep] with other peoples stuff, especially if they're nucking futts.
Originally Posted by Buck2
Looks like we all win. Three scums removed from society.

Best post in this thread.
Originally Posted by T LEE
Sounds like murder to me, once he had them stopped he should have as well. JUST PLAIN DUMB!

EXACTLY! You can not shoot them again if they are no longer a threat. Deadly Force Laws are pretty much the same in most states. The Idiot became a murderer when he executed the burglars. Not saying they didn't deserve it, just quoting the law.
Shooter is a 64 year old retired security officer for the US State Dept according to his brother who said there had been several burglaries at the house but he only reported the most recent one in Oct to authorities. Sounds like the shooter went way beyond where he should have gone.
Burglarized multiple times and still the dumb phuc doesn't know how to burglar-proof his house?? --- and he was waiting for them down in the basement?? --- can you say "set-up!"
No warning - "hey, I've got a gun and just called 911" - then (his own words) he "executes" them!
Something stinks!
Something stinks!
Something stinks!

Jim
Please let me on that jury. Nullification is the key to many of the justice system ills.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
and yet easily avoided by not breaking into a house that had already been burglarized multiple times. Somebody just might want to take his frustrations out on you Bernie Goetz style.

might not be the most compassionate answer, but it is a correct answer. This whole sordid affair could have been avoided, and multiple lives saved and/or not destroyed, if only the miscreants did not choose to commit their crime. Sad for all.
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
Burglarized multiple times and still the dumb phuc doesn't know how to burglar-proof his house?? --- and he was waiting for them down in the basement?? --- can you say "set-up!"
No warning - "hey, I've got a gun and just called 911" - then (his own words) he "executes" them!
Something stinks!
Something stinks!
Something stinks!

Illinois logic I guess. Down here, I'm not obligated to burglar proof my home, nor am I required to warn you and give you a chance to shoot me, if you are armed, before I fire.

The "setup" claim is just plain stupid. He heard the glass break upstairs and waited until they came down, what the hell do you think he should do, run up the stairs saying "hello!"?

That said, he going to do jail time and deservedly so, but right up to the point of the kill shots and admitting them, he did nothing wrong.
Originally Posted by rod44
He gives the rest of us gun owners a bad name and adds fuel to the fires of the anti gunners.
Can't argue with that.. smile
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Something stinks!
Something stinks!
Something stinks!

Illinois logic I guess. Down here, I'm not obligated to burglar proof my home, nor am I required to warn you and give you a chance to shoot me, if you are armed, before I fire.
same here...

The "setup" claim is just plain stupid. He heard the glass break upstairs and waited until they came down, what the hell do you think he should do, run up the stairs saying "hello!"?
How true..

That said, he going to do jail time and deservedly so, but right up to the point of the kill shots and admitting them, he did nothing wrong.
Yeppers...
Assuming ScoutmasterRick's posted account were the actual facts as they happened and, without knowing MN's criminal statutes, I suspect this old boy is in trouble. Assuming MN has Castle Doctrine and someone here can affirm or negate that assertion, but let's suppose they do the general idea is to protect oneself in the home. OK so far. I suspect a rifle shot to the lower abdomen as decribed in the account to both was incapacitating enough as it was reported to have sent both burglars tumbling down the stairs suggesting loss of the ability to walk.

It could be argued at that moment the Castle Doctrine was fulfilled and further action was not warranted by the homeowner again assuming neither assailant had further access to weapons or other means of harm. Then, according to the account, the homeowner actively chose a second weapon and executed each assailant rather than following what is likely in MN a legal duty to provide aid via calling police and an ambulance which he seems not to have done.

Assuming the above I maintain my position this guy is in a lot of trouble. I think it would have been ruled a clean shoot had he waited for a better opportunity to provide a single killing shot to each of the baddies rather than wounding them.

So you see gentlemen, shot placement is everything!!
Originally Posted by Foxbat

+1 Same in Florida. In Florida, if someone breaks into your home, they are presumed to intend imminent severe bodily harm to those inside, and those inside are privileged to treat them that way.
I'm wondering if the girl waited out side and then went in when her boyfriend never came back out.
Regardless, crazy story.
I wonder if the guy was fencing stolen property or sellin drugs. Lotta breakins. Had to execute witnesses. Needed time to get rid of stuff.

Or maybe he was an angry nut.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
"just a good clean finishing shot". Geezus! Talk about breaking into the wrong house.

Jeesus...no kidding!
Hard to believe a teenage girl would go down stairs after hearing gunfire coming from the basement. Even stranger for her to laugh after taking a bullet in the hip. I think these people were on drugs maybe all of them.
He does have one advantage, they can't tell their side of the story.
whelennut

I agree. You don't keep breaking into a house for "fun"...and if your house keeps getting broke into and you DON'T call the popo, there's a reason. My guess, the reason is drugs.
Updated stories:

From Star Tribune

Little Falls teen shooting deaths called 'cold-blooded�

LITTLE FALLS, MINN. - Insisting the case crosses the line from self-defense to a cold-blooded double execution, Morrison County authorities filed second-degree murder charges Monday against a 64-year-old man who killed two teenage cousins after they'd broken into his home on Thanksgiving.

This woodsy central Minnesota town of 8,000 was jolted as the gruesome details spilled out in a criminal complaint, alleging Byron David Smith put a handgun under the chin of wounded and gasping 18-year-old Haile Kifer for what he told police was a "good clean finishing shot."

Smith, who according to a friend and a relative had endured previous break-ins, sat shackled in an orange jail jumpsuit as County Attorney Brian Middendorf accused him of "cold-blooded murder of two teenagers under circumstances that are appalling and far beyond any self-defense claim."

Sheriff Michel Wetzel said Monday that he believes the teenagers were committing a burglary but said Smith's reaction went beyond legal protections of Minnesota law that allows crime victims to use reasonable force to protect themselves and their property during a felony.

"We understand and respect that right exists, but what happened in this case went further," Wetzel said. "The law doesn't permit you to execute somebody when there's no possible way the crime can continue."

And the law requires people to notify police, said Wetzel, who learned about the shooting from a neighbor the next day. The sheriff said the reason Smith gave for never calling police was "it was Thanksgiving and he didn't want to bother us on a holiday."

Hamline University School of Law professor Joseph Olson, who has studied self-defense laws, noted that the number of Smith's shots will make it difficult for him to claim self-defense in court.

"I think the first shot is justified," Olson said. "After the person is no longer a threat because they're seriously wounded, the application of self-defense is over."

High bail set

Judge Douglas P. Anderson set bail at $2 million or $1 million with conditions that Smith, a retired U.S. State Department employee, surrender his passport and firearms and not leave the state. Prosecutors cited Smith's years of international travel to Moscow, Bangkok and Beijing among the reasons for the high bail.

Smith's attorney, Gregory Larson, did not immediately contest the bail and a jail worker said Smith informed the staff he doesn't plan to post bail.

About a dozen friends and relatives of the victims attended Smith's 10-minute hearing, including 16-year-old Serina Poppen, who wore a brown Little Falls Auto and Transmission sweatshirt. Nicholas Brady, 17, the first shooting victim, lent her the sweatshirt a month ago when she was cold and the two had dated in recent months.

"No amount of bail is fair and no amount will bring them back," Poppen said. "He took it way too far. He could have just showed them his gun and told them to sit still until he called police."

Tessa Ruth, Brady's aunt, also was at the hearing and acknowledged outside the court room that "it wasn't right to be in the house and, yes, he has a right to defend himself, but not to execute them like that."

John Lange, who describes himself as Smith's best friend, was in the courtroom and visited Smith in jail.

"Byron is holding up just fine, but he shouldn't be in there, " Lange said. "You have the right to defend your home, and he's been through hell."

Lange said Smith's house has been broken into six times, although authorities says they have only one report of a break-in, in October.

"They tortured him and targeted him, and it's not good," Lange said. "If you've been broken into one time, that would be enough. But it's terrible."

Smith's brother, Bruce Smith, said about $10,000 worth of guns, electronic gear and cash were stolen in October.

Wetzel, the sheriff, declined to discuss what was taken in the October theft and said they have no suspects. He also declined to say whether the teens knew Smith, insisting the investigation is ongoing.

'I want him dead'

According to the complaint, Smith told police that he heard someone breaking into his house at noon on Thanksgiving. He showed police the window he says Brady and his cousin, Kifer, used to enter his house, which he said had been broken into several times before. Lange, his friend, said he kept his valuables downstairs.

Smith told police he armed himself with a rifle and a handgun and waited downstairs until he saw the first person's feet, then legs, then hips.

He said he fired and the first victim, Brady, tumbled down the stairs. While Brady looked up at him, he shot him in the face, according to the complaint.

"I want him dead," he told investigators.

He put Brady's body on a tarp and dragged him into his basement workshop and sat back down in his chair.

Several minutes later, he heard more footsteps and saw Kifer coming down the stairs. He waited until he saw her hips, then fired. She also fell down the stairs, but then his rifle jammed and Kifer laughed.

That angered Smith. "If you're trying to shoot someone and they laugh at you, you go again," he told police.

He then pulled out the .22-caliber, nine-shot revolver that he was wearing, and fired "more shots than I needed to." He dragged Kifer into the workshop, placed her next to Brady and noticed she was still gasping for air.

"Smith stated at this point he placed the handgun under the woman's chin and shot her ... up into the cranium ... a good clean finishing shot."

He told police neither of the teens were armed but he feared they might have had a weapon.

He asked a neighbor the next morning if he knew any lawyers, and that neighbor apparently called police.

Larson, Smith's lawyer, declined to discuss the case as he left the hearing, saying he needed more time to respond to the county attorney's accusations.

Middendorf, the county attorney, asked community members "not to rush to judgment. This is a terrible tragedy for the whole community," he said. "And Mr. Smith is entitled to a fair process."

'Keep out'

At Smith's house, where a "keep out" sign blocked the driveway, kids drove by who knew the victims.

They remembered two teenage cousins who were inseparable and texted each other thousands of times.

"Nick was always energetic," said Alex Janey, 18. "They had so much more to give and to just shoot them like that, it just isn't right."

Other kids rumored that drugs might have been involved, a subject authorities declined to get into, saying the case is ongoing.

Poppen said her close friend, who lent her the sweatshirt she was wearing, "was always hilarious and lived for the moment."

Throughout the town of Little Falls, stunned residents weighed in.

"This ...doesn't happen in our community," said Liberty Nunn, 20, a friend of Brady's sister. "If it was 3 o'clock in the morning, I'm a shoot first and ask questions later kind of person.

"But this was the middle of Thanksgiving Day and to not bother to call the cops? It's just not right to take a life. ... He got to shut the basement door and go on with his Thanksgiving," Nunn said, "while two families were grieving."

Staff writers Pam Louwagie and Joy Powell contributed to this report. Curt Brown 612-673-4767

And kstp.com

Complaint Reveals Details in Double Shooting of Little Falls Teens

A 64-year-old man has been charged in the deadly shooting of two Little Falls teens.

According to authorities, Byron Smith of Belle Prairie Township is charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of 17-year-old Nicholas Brady and 18-year-old Haile Kifer.

The Sheriff's office says Smith shot and killed Brady and Kifer after the two broke into his home.

Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel says they believe this was a burglary.

According to the criminal complaint, Smith said he was in his basement on Thanksgiving when he heard two people breaking into his home upstairs. He said he heard a window break.

He saw the first pair of legs walk down the stairs and shot the man, later identified as Brady in the legs. He then shot him in the face.

He dragged Brady's body on a tarp to an office room in the basement, and returned to his chair and sat back down.

A few minutes later another person came down the stairs. He said he shot the woman, later identified as Kifer.

Smith said he tried to shoot her again, and the gun jammed. He said she laughed at him, but "It was not a very long laugh because she was already hurting." He pulled out another gun and shot her in the chest and then under the chin.

According to authorities he told investigators, "If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again." He said he feared the two teenagers had weapons. Authorities say the teenagers did not have weapons.

Smith acknowledged he had "Fired more shots than (he) needed to."

Smith said he then dragged that body into the room where the other body was. He said he noticed the woman was still gasping, and he fired another shot.

Smith never called 911. He called a neighbor Friday morning asking if the neighbor knew any lawyers.

A neighbor contacted police Friday afternoon.

Authorities say when deputies arrived at Smith's home, he answered the door he told deputies he had shot the teens.

Right now Minnesota law allows the use of deadly force from inside your home if it's necessary. According to Wetzel, "This case went further than that. The law does not permit you to execute someone after the threat is gone."

The county attorney Brian Middendorf said, this is a controversial case. "I would not ask that people rush to judgment. Smith is entitled to a fair process."

Smith's bail was set at a $2 million unconditional bond or a $1 million bond with the condition he cannot leave the state, and would have to surrender his passport and guns.

Smith told investigators he was fearful after several break-ins at his remote home in Little Falls, a central Minnesota town of 8,000 people. The sheriff's office had only one report of a break-in, on Oct. 27. Smith reported losing thousands of dollars in cash, gold coins, two guns, photo equipment and jewelry.

Schools in Little Falls, about 100 miles northwest of Minneapolis, made counselors available, though classes weren't in session Monday. In nearby Pillager, where classes were in session, a few students sought help from school counselors and local clergy members available at the school Monday morning, said Superintendent Chuck Arns.

Smith is expected back in court on Dec. 17.

Authorities say this is still an active and ongoing investigation.

The legality/illegality of the killings aside, I can't help but wonder about the mindsets of everyone involved.

I wonder why the kids were going into that guy's home? It seems like he would be a known weirdo and that nobody would mess with him? What did they expect to find in his home that made it worth it? They just didn't wander in through an unlocked door, they broke glass to gain entry. That took some serious guts--unless they had (mistakenly) determined that he wasn't home. But still, why that particular house?

As for the shooter, the "good clean finishing shot" comment is really creepy, as is putting bodies on a tarp and dragging them into the next room. Wow. That is absolutely stone cold. That guy has serious issues.

It's a bad deal all around.
Originally Posted by FVA
I'm wondering if the girl waited out side and then went in when her boyfriend never came back out.
Regardless, crazy story.

And didnt the story say after he shot her, she was laughing at him? Phuggin society these days.
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by FVA
Regardless, crazy story.

And didnt the story say after he shot her, she was laughing at him? Phuggin society these days.

Smith said he tried to shoot her again, and the gun jammed. He said she laughed at him, but "It was not a very long laugh because she was already hurting." He pulled out another gun and shot her in the chest and then under the chin.
he said she was laughing at him

I'm guessing this guy has no shortage of perceived slights against him
Sounds like he was just an older tired man, with nothing to lose. He just finally had enough.

Yep. Don't mess with old dudes with nothing left to lose. Darwin works in mysterious ways. Maybe the wailing by the families of these pooor victims will serve as a lesson to others who might have similar ideas... Nawww, I doubt it. <shrug>
Yep, that's the first place I'd go to - the basement - if I was to burglarize a home! Yep, that's where everybody keeps their valuables! Duuh?!?
another update

"Investigators were working late Tuesday to determine whether the two teenage cousins slain during a home burglary in Little Falls, Minn., on Thanksgiving Day committed a similar crime just hours before the fatal shootings.

Preliminary findings suggest that Nick Brady, 17, and Haile Kifer, 18, were involved in another break-in Wednesday night, 6 miles south of the home where Byron Smith claims he shot them in self-defense, said Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel. Smith, 64, a retired U.S. State Department worker, is charged with second-degree murder in the double shooting, which Wetzel has characterized as "cold-blooded" executions carried out after the teens were disabled by initial shots.

In the latest development, investigators are piecing together evidence recovered from a red Mitsubishi Eclipse that Brady had been driving, and which was discovered Friday parked a block away and around the corner from Smith's property, 3 miles north of Little Falls.

That same car was seen in a driveway last Wednesday evening 3 miles south of Little Falls, in the vicinity of a house belonging to Richard L. Johnson, a retired Little Falls High School teacher who had been in Spain until Sunday evening.

Wetzel confirmed that deputies who had been called to the Johnson neighborhood about the car identified it as one used by Brady, but not registered to him.

The sheriff also said that Brady had walked up to the car, was questioned by the deputies and released. The burglary at Johnson's home was at that time undiscovered, he said.

"There are some preliminary indications that the Johnson burglary may have been committed by the Brady boy and the Kifer girl, but it's too early now to say definitively, but tomorrow morning [Wednesday] we'll have some more information and determine whether they're connected," Wetzel said.

Johnson said the items he reported stolen included less than $5 worth of pennies kept in a box on his dresser, silver and copper coins from foreign countries, and an assortment of prescription medication, including drugs for diabetes and controlling cholesterol. Johnson, 68, said the thieves had broken a sliding glass door at his house.

Wetzel could not immediately confirm whether any of Johnson's property was found in the car that Brady and Kifer left parked near Smith's house before they were slain. He said investigators are tracing an assortment of items.

Smith's brother, Bruce Smith of California, whom Byron Smith called after the shootings, said his brother reported about $10,000 worth of items stolen in an Oct. 27 burglary, including guns, a camera and $3,000 to $4,000 in cash.

He said the Oct. 27 break-in was the latest in a string of six to eight before the shootings Thanksgiving Day.

The sheriff said he did not have the burglary report regarding the late October burglary that Byron Smith reported.

"I don't have the reports in front of me to indicate precisely what was found. I do know they found quite a bit of evidence in their vehicle that was parked near the Smith place," the sheriff said late Tuesday. "We're trying to investigate whether it might have come from the Johnson burglary."

Johnson, who taught 32 years at Little Falls High, said he didn't know Kifer or Brady, though he knew one of their siblings.

"The whole thing is very sad that they lost their lives," he said. "In the same instance, if they hadn't been breaking into houses, they'd be alive."

link
looks like the two Darwin award winners were serial miscreants.

Smith might be up for a community service award afterall.
This is one of the reasons I don't miss Minnesota at all...

poor judgement call maybe...

crooks as far as I am concerned... shoot'em and tell the cops they can drop by and pick up the bodies at their convenience... because they aren't going anywhere..

and these two were under 20 yrs old... seems that they are a product of their environment...the parent or parents are to blame for them turning out like this..

at least they are out of the gene pool before they have a chance to add to it..
The girl looks pretty hot. They must have gotten tangled up in drugs.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The girl looks pretty hot.
x2

I just didn't wanna be the first to say it grin
She doesn't really fit the mold of a burglar, but who knows...

Haile Kifer, age 18, of Little Falls, MN, died Thursday, November 22, 2012.

Funeral Services will be held at 10:00am Saturday, December 1, 2012 at Living Hope Assembly of God Church, 17389 Haven Road, Little Falls, MN.

Visitation will be held from 4:00 � 8:00 pm Friday, November 30th at Emblom-Brenny Funeral Service with a prayer service at 7:00 pm

Visitation will continue at the church on Saturday one hour prior to the service.

Haile was born on October 17, 1994, in Little Falls, MN, the daughter of Jay & Jenny (Brady) Kifer. She has attended Little Falls schools and was currently in her senior year.
She enjoyed wrestling from kindergarten thru fifth grade and then kept stats for the wrestling team, was involved in gymnastics, diving, softball and cross country. She was a very competitive person in all her sporting events competing even when she was injured. She enjoyed hunting, fishing, camping and spending time with her family and friends. Haile also worked part time at Falls Cinema, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pizza Ranch and Meyers all in Little Falls.

Left to cherish her memory are her parents, Jay & Jenny Kifer of Little Falls, MN; brother, Dillon Kifer of Little Falls, MN; grandparents, Jerry Kifer of Little Falls, MN, Elaine Kifer of Hughes Springs, TX, Alfred & Barb Brady of Little Falls, MN; great grandparents, John �Jack� & Joan Saehr of Little Falls, MN, and many aunts, uncles, cousins and other relatives and friends.

Halie was preceded in death by her great grandparents, Enos & Lee Fry and Mike & Sylvia Brady, Earl & Edna Kifer.

Originally Posted by fluffy
"The whole thing is very sad that they lost their lives," he said. "In the same instance, if they hadn't been breaking into houses, they'd be alive."

Bottom line right there!
Originally Posted by Seafire
This is one of the reasons I don't miss Minnesota at all...

aaahhhh. There it is.
Sorry guys - but I see a lot of *hit-talking bravado here!
After this sick *hit shot the boy in the legs he has to see that he was "unarmed" duuh!
Then this sick phuc "executed" them!
I'd hate to be him if he has a conscience
The girl hears "gunfire" and walks downstairs only to get shot herself.
Does any of this make you think - something doesn't add up?
Drugs? Stupidity?
I don't think so.
Sorry guys - but I see a lot of *hit-talking bravado here!
After this sick *hit shot the boy in the legs he has to see that he was "unarmed" duuh!
Then this sick phuc "executed" them!
I'd hate to be him if he has a conscience
I'm not sure why this was in reply to me

I just said the slut was hot

I could care less, 3 POS's gone from society
Thought I was just continuing the topic - didn't intend on addressing you in particular. How that happened ????
By hot -you mean pretty.
She was in the wrong place at the wrong time but to call her a slut is going a little overboard. She's dead and gone to meet her Maker and you can leave it at that.
She doesn't really fit the mold of a burglar
If you break into a house to steal stuff, you fit the mold of a burglar perfectly.
I tend to agree there might be much more to this story. As unreasonable as the incident played out, it smells.

Yeah, this has been on the news here for a few days now. New information keeps surfacing.

I can tell you this much. In the Minnesota Carry Permit class I took they spent a lot of time on the legal issues concerning home defense. In Minnesota you can use "reasonable force" to defend yourself and your home. This guy went way beyond "reasonable" IMO.
That followup story makes it seem more likely that they were burglars. Before that, we had only the shooter's word that they broke in and weren't invited. We also have only his word that he has suffered multiple burglaries.

We'll never know what really happened, because there is no way this is going to trial. He's guilty as a mouse in a flour barrel, by his own admission.

The kids being burglars, if they were, is no excuse for murder. If it were, we couldn't prosecute ganstas for shooting one another.
Originally Posted by Hogeye

The kids being burglars, if they were, is no excuse for murder. If it were, we couldn't prosecute ganstas for shooting one another.

this makes no sense. confused
the shooter shouldn't have shot off his mouth to the cops or anyone else. reinforces the reminder that the best time to get a lawyer is as soon as the smoke clears. 2 thieves dead, but he's probably going to do some time. sad on all counts.
Prolly didn't do the ol timer any good shooting folks who just broke in his house .Maybe it shook him up a little . 2 dead crooks , not a problem at all .

Just how long should he be a victom ? Crazy to do anything but buy him a Bigmac on the way back to his house .
If you break into a house to steal stuff, you fit the mold of a burglar perfectly.

I am not denying that she was breaking into homes, i just find it surprising based on her bio. She was either thrill seeking, or on drugs.

I am not denying that she was breaking into homes, i just find it surprising based on her bio. She was either thrill seeking, or on drugs.

what if it had been two 18 yo males that broke in an got shot?
I am not defending or agreeing with any of them, but take it from an elderly person who has been attacked in his own home by a knife wielding much younger relative, you just do not know what you will do until you are faced with the same situation.

Executing them, after they were disabled? Maybe. Maybe he was scared out of his mind and didn't want to take a chance of them trying to attack him while they were wounded. In a situation like that, most people cannot think as coherent and logical as they could two or three days later while sitting in front of a computer.

One thing I did learn is to not try to explain your actions or why you did what you did to the police. They are not interested. All they want to do is to arrest someone while putting out the least investigative effort possible.

Guilt or innocence does not enter into it. That is one thing I do not like about the Castle Law. You have to be able to prove you were about to become the victim, and the LEOs sometimes are not interested in your proof, or your status as a victim.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/minnesota-...-burglary/story?id=17828144#.ULax4IZ43To

So much for the amateur criminal profilers here.

Just because she's a white girl doesn't make her immune to drugs, crime and stupidity.

The Minnesota teens killed on Thanksgiving Day while breaking into a home have been linked to an earlier robbery, authorities said today.

Six bottles of prescription drugs and other items reported stolen Sunday from a home in Little Falls, Minn. were found in a red Mitsubishi Eclipse that was being driven by Haile Kifer, 18, and Nicholas Brady, 17, according to the Morrison County Sheriff's Office.

Sheriff Michel Wetzel said the night before the teens were shot to death, authorities responded to a report of a red car parked suspiciously at the end of a driveway in Little Falls Township.

Officers encountered Brady, who told them Kifer had gone to get gas after the teens ran out while driving around town. The car was left at the location and deputies gave Brady a ride to Little Falls, Wetzel said.
Originally Posted by fluffy
what if it had been two 18 yo males that broke in an got shot?

Been wondering the same thing myself. Would we be having the same discussion if it were a 64 year old woman and two 18YO males, all else being the same?
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
From the Star Tribune

Charges: Rifle jammed, she laughed, so he killed her with a pistol

A 64-year-old man was charged Monday with murdering two teenagers who broke into his home on the outskirts of Little Falls, Minn., shooting each of them at close range in the head after he had already wounded them.

Byron David Smith was charged in Morrison County District Court with two counts of second-degree murder without premeditation in the killings of Nicholas Brady, 17, and his cousin Haile Kifer, 18. Smith is scheduled to appear in court later Monday.

He then waited a day before asking a neighbor to alert authorities, the document added. Smith showed investigators the bodies, was arrested and has remained jailed since.

Smith acknowledged leaving the bodies in his home overnight before calling a neighbor to askabout a lawyer and to request that authorities be notified.

Two other news accounts:

GA Daily News

kstp.com

Looks like this guy needs an attitude adjustment - maybe 25-50 years of insightful thought. On the other hand, maybe he is just guilty of criminal stupidity - he should have shut up and said he wanted to talk with a lawyer before giving a statement to the police.
Smith acknowledged leaving the bodies in his home overnight before calling a neighbor to ask about a lawyer and to request that authorities be notified.

what are the chances this guy was fencing the stuff for the boy, and tried some funny stuff with the girl?

keeping two bodies in the basement over night-something isn't right!

You can take that to the bank!

Sycamore
more information.Note the "bold" sentence.

LITTLE FALLS, MINN. - The two teenage cousins shot to death during a home burglary on Thanksgiving were no strangers to police, who confirmed Wednesday that the pair had committed an earlier burglary and that officers are looking into the possibility of them being linked to more in the area.

Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel said a search of a car seized after Nick Brady, 17, and Haile Kifer, 18, were slain by homeowner Byron Smith turned up items reported stolen in a home burglary the previous day, including six bottles of prescription medicine.

Little Falls Police Chief Greg Schirmers said Wednesday the cousins were among a group of young people with whom police in the area "crossed paths frequently," but not involving any major crimes.

Schirmers said his department or the sheriff's office had 19 "contacts" with Kifer this year , ranging from traffic stops to reports of suspicious activity or theft.

Police had contacts of a similar nature with Brady, Schirmers said, though he declined to be specific, citing Brady's status as a juvenile when killed.

Neither were known to be part of any crime ring, he said.

"I can't say they stood out from any other bunch we came in contact with," the chief said.

The sheriff's office said in a statement that the shooting investigation, "as well as other burglaries that may be connected" to the cousins, was continuing, but provided no further details.

Schirmers said Little Falls had 33 reported burglaries in the past year, a number he called typical.

"Pills are always a target, as are small electronics and that kind of thing," he said.

Byron Smith, 64, a retired federal employee, is charged with second-degree murder in the two deaths. Smith, whose brother said he had endured numerous break-ins in recent years, remained in the Morrison County jail Wednesday night after earlier admitting that he repeatedly shot the intruders, including final shots at close range, then left their bodies in his basement for a full day until deputies arrived to check on a neighbor's concerns that he might have killed somebody.

Prior trouble

Richard Johnson, the retired Little Falls High School teacher who authorities believe also fell victim to a burglary by Kifer and Brady, showed a reporter the French door where the thieves entered his elegant Tudor house after smashing the glass while standing on his deck.

He said the thieves rifled most of the drawers in the home but took only coins of little value and his non-narcotic prescription drugs.

"I'm surprised they didn't smash the place up," said Johnson, who was out of the country at the time.

A neighbor, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said she and her spouse called 911 the night before Thanksgiving and reported a suspicious car -- a red Mitsubishi Eclipse -- parked near the end of their driveway.

They waited near the car and spoke to deputies when they arrived. Just then, Brady walked up to the car and told the deputies that he and Kifer had run out of gas and that she had left to get some.

The deputies gave Brady a ride to town and released him, the sheriff said.

"It was just a strange place for the car to be, in our driveway like that, and we were concerned about our home," said the woman.

Johnson, who had been in Spain for two weeks, said the break-in at his home wasn't discovered until Sunday morning by an 81-year-old friend checking on the house, who in turn called 911.

Deputies began tying the two incidents together.

"During the search of the red Mitsubishi Eclipse, deputies discovered six bottles of prescription medication bearing the name Richard Johnson," the sheriff's office said.

Steve Schaeffel, Brady's grandfather, said the boy's family isn't ready to comment.

"We're going to let everybody else have their say and then gather our thoughts," Schaeffel said.

Smith's brother, Bruce Smith of California, whom Byron Smith called after the shootings, said his brother was the victim of a string of break-ins over the past couple of years. Byron Smith reported one, on Oct. 27, to the sheriff's office. He told investigators that $500 in cash and a $3,000 camera were stolen.

When asked about possible suspects, Byron Smith said he often worked with kids and used to allow his friend's son and his friends to have band practice in his garage. He stopped it when they kept inviting too many friends and it got out of hand. "That would have made kids aware of where he lives and how secluded his residence is from the road," the incident report said.

Johnson, 68, is saddened by the whole turn of events. Of the teens' deaths, he said: "I feel bad for them but also for Mr. Smith. His life is over with, too."

Also Wednesday, some continued to speak out on behalf of Smith. Among them was neighbor William Anderson, who said he's probably Smith's best friend.

"I've known the family for 40 years, and they're good people," he said. "I have nothing else to say."
Byron Smith said he often worked with kids and used to allow his friend's son and his friends to have band practice in his garage. He stopped it when they kept inviting too many friends and it got out of hand. "That would have made kids aware of where he lives and how secluded his residence is from the road," the incident report said.

The plot thickens.

Implausible as the story is as presented, anything we suggest is equally plausible.

This werent some random guy, he was a 60-plus year-old who invited high school teenagers into his garage.

Now, being someone who spends long hours I don't really have to working with other peoples' kids, that alone ain't enough to brand the guy.

But I don't have any interest in inviting 'em into my home either, and I sure as heck don't have two dead ones in the basement that I moved and later waited a day to tell the cops about after killing them.

And robbed *several* previous times w/no countermeasures taken like alarms, home safes etc...?

Look close at this guy's finances and where his money's been going.

Clearly, both of them teenagers were well along the wrong path despite apparent good upbringing, at least on the part of the girl. Happens rarely but it does happen, especially with meth or crack.

They went over to the guy's house for SOME nefarious purpose, maybe he had been loaning them money. The girl may well have laughed at and ridiculed him, but I doubt it was after she had just been shot.

Drug test the old guy too, might be THAT is the reason he had to wait.

Just my $0.02
Birdwatcher
This is truly a ghoulish and surreal story here.

Reads like a David Lynch movie.
Past time for a warning!!!!

I'm new and like this site, so far I've met many open, honest people. Not afraid to speak their mind.

But...

As much as it seems we are talking among friends, everything said here is public information.

Should any of us ever have the misfortune to be forced to defend our loved ones or ourselves with lethal force your computer may be taken by the Sheriff's dept. Sites such as this may be searched & anything you've said may be brought up at trial.

A number of members have said things on this blog you would not want brought up to a jury. Maybe one day we can all get around a campfire together and say what we please but I'd hate to think anyone spent jail time because of a comment.
Guys like that make it tougher for the guys that do it right.
Good points.
© 24hourcampfire