Home
Posted By: Tracks Mortage question - 12/05/12
Last year I refinanced my house, all has been well until a couple of weeks ago someone claiming to be from the company's settlement services called wanting to set up an appoint to have me resign the papers.
When questioned them they say somebody shredded some part of it.
I'm not about to sign something without a damn good reason, especially a year later.
Ever heard of something like this?
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
Scam
Posted By: EricM Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
Simple solution - call your mortgage servicing company (where you pay your mortgage) directly and see if there's any issue.

Eric
Posted By: Tracks Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
Originally Posted by EricM
Simple solution - call your mortgage servicing company (where you pay your mortgage) directly and see if there's any issue.

Eric

That's what I did. They know nothing about it. I told the lady calling about the resigning to contact the guy I talked to and explain it to him and then let him explain it to me.
Otherwise I told her, "thanks for the house"
Posted By: EricM Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
If they say there's not an issue I'd forget about it. It's probably a scam. If the guy pesters you you can tell him you'd like all communications from him to be in writing, by formal letter.

Eric
Posted By: T LEE Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
A take off on the "we found no problems with your credit but want to save you money on your card."
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
Heck, tell them to stop on over and you would be happy to sign them. Of course waiting for them would be the sheriff as well....
Posted By: djs Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
Originally Posted by T LEE
A take off on the "we found no problems with your credit but want to save you money on your card."

Hey TLEE - are you still getting calls from "Rachel"? I am.
Posted By: djs Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Heck, tell them to stop on over and you would be happy to sign them. Of course waiting for them would be the sheriff as well....

Or, you could tell them to send them to your attorney and he'll examine them so you can sign in good faith.
Posted By: Field_Hand Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
probably one of these bottom feeders that get courthouse register of deeds records. probably trying to get you to sign to payoff your current loan so he can swab you down with a new loan and all fees associated with it.
People get the new recorded trust deed info since it's public record and try to solicit you. See it all the time.
Posted By: ipopum Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
Any financing papers that you signed would have been filed with the clerk and recorder in your county. The only reason to sign new papers would be to change some of the terms in the refinancing papers that signed. Ask what is being changed or as has already been suggested tell them to bug off.
Posted By: passport Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
I do mortgages for a living, contact the company that services your loan now and have them talk to the title comapny that closed the deal. they should be able to tell you if its a scam or a real issue. In most states you sign a doc that states you will resign any docs that are missed or need to be resigned.
Posted By: KYFRED Re: Mortage question - 12/05/12
Passport just nailed what I was going to say. Only the mortgage and deed is recorded. The actual financial commitments are not filed publicly. But, most entities have you sign an agreement that you will resign whatever is necessary. It still may be a scam.
Posted By: isaac Re: Mortage question - 12/06/12
Call the settlement attorney and ask him what's a good time for you and your attorney to meet with him and the underwriters to resolve the issue.

If it's a scam in which some POS is coat-tailing off of his settlement practice, he'll want to know about it, as well.
Posted By: larwhy55 Re: Mortage question - 12/06/12
If you truly think its a scam, contact your local law enforcement. While you seem pretty astute, and elderly person, or a recently widowed person (whose deceased spouse handled all such things) may not be so.
© 24hourcampfire