Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Last year I refinanced my house, all has been well until a couple of weeks ago someone claiming to be from the company's settlement services called wanting to set up an appoint to have me resign the papers.
When questioned them they say somebody shredded some part of it.
I'm not about to sign something without a damn good reason, especially a year later.
Ever heard of something like this?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scam

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Simple solution - call your mortgage servicing company (where you pay your mortgage) directly and see if there's any issue.

Eric

Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EricM
Simple solution - call your mortgage servicing company (where you pay your mortgage) directly and see if there's any issue.

Eric

That's what I did. They know nothing about it. I told the lady calling about the resigning to contact the guy I talked to and explain it to him and then let him explain it to me.
Otherwise I told her, "thanks for the house"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they say there's not an issue I'd forget about it. It's probably a scam. If the guy pesters you you can tell him you'd like all communications from him to be in writing, by formal letter.

Eric

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A take off on the "we found no problems with your credit but want to save you money on your card."

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Heck, tell them to stop on over and you would be happy to sign them. Of course waiting for them would be the sheriff as well....

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by T LEE
A take off on the "we found no problems with your credit but want to save you money on your card."

Hey TLEE - are you still getting calls from "Rachel"? I am.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Heck, tell them to stop on over and you would be happy to sign them. Of course waiting for them would be the sheriff as well....

Or, you could tell them to send them to your attorney and he'll examine them so you can sign in good faith.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
probably one of these bottom feeders that get courthouse register of deeds records. probably trying to get you to sign to payoff your current loan so he can swab you down with a new loan and all fees associated with it.
People get the new recorded trust deed info since it's public record and try to solicit you. See it all the time.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Any financing papers that you signed would have been filed with the clerk and recorder in your county. The only reason to sign new papers would be to change some of the terms in the refinancing papers that signed. Ask what is being changed or as has already been suggested tell them to bug off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do mortgages for a living, contact the company that services your loan now and have them talk to the title comapny that closed the deal. they should be able to tell you if its a scam or a real issue. In most states you sign a doc that states you will resign any docs that are missed or need to be resigned.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Passport just nailed what I was going to say. Only the mortgage and deed is recorded. The actual financial commitments are not filed publicly. But, most entities have you sign an agreement that you will resign whatever is necessary. It still may be a scam.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Call the settlement attorney and ask him what's a good time for you and your attorney to meet with him and the underwriters to resolve the issue.

If it's a scam in which some POS is coat-tailing off of his settlement practice, he'll want to know about it, as well.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

L
L
If you truly think its a scam, contact your local law enforcement. While you seem pretty astute, and elderly person, or a recently widowed person (whose deceased spouse handled all such things) may not be so.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 70 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,814
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.