Home
,..not much extreme winter in Kentucky, but by this time of the year I'm numb with boredom.

I can't imagine how people up north function.

Lately, I've been giving a lot of thought to moving south. I never seriously considered it before,...I'm a dyed in the wool Kentuckian, but I'd really like to see fall arrive later and spring arrive earlier.

,...wouldn't want to go too far south and get into those oppressive summers.

Seems like mid-South Carolina has the climate I'm looking for,....but I can't find an area there that interests me other than the weather.

Oh hell,...I guess I'll be okay when it hits 65 degrees again,...but before next winter arrives, I've got to have something set up to occupy myself.

Bullshittin' on the computer has about run its course.

It ain't gonna do it.
Have I not been telling you? I've spent the last month and a half on a site called Landwatch. You can search properties in all 50 states and around the world.

I love the Carolinas, but I don't think I will let them tax my retirement. More than likely will be Texas for me.
Skiing, snowshoes, snow machines, ice -fishing, rabbit hunting (especially with beagles).....the list goes on.

I enjoy this time of year. I just wish the snow had come earlier in the season!

George
georgia is slowly gearing up to do away with the income tax to better compete with tennessee and florida. but they haven't done it yet.
Yeah,..I don't blame you.

You're at about the right age and in a good situation to do it.

I've waited so long that it would be real complicated.

The Bluegrass region of Kentucky is a fine place 7 months of the year,...but those other 5 are wearing me down more and more every time they come around.
To enjoy the outdoors when it is cold you can't be a puzzy.

That keeps a lot of folks from enjoying the outdoors when it is cold.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

That keeps a lot of folks from enjoying the outdoors when it is cold.

Which ain't a bad thing. Makes winter the best time of the year in many ways.
I got 5ft of snow on the ground and its -23F right now--never used to bother me but like you Bristow I'm gettin tired of it.

A few years ago I went to mid-central South Carolina--Rock Hill--Hickory Grove around mid March--full blown Spring there and very nice weather. I'm thinkin of doing it again.

The Indians I hang with all think I'm being a pu$$y.
My ideas of taking flight started a few years back when I told Mrs. Tide I wanted to leave Kentucky the day after Thanksgiving and see about coming back the weekend prior to Memorial Day.

I got greedier after that.

When I was 35 it didn't bother me either.

Check back with me in 22 years.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
. leave Kentucky the day after Thanksgiving and see about coming back the weekend prior to Memorial Day.

I had an uncle from Michigan who did that for years after retirement.
Wife and I loved Louisiana but not summers in December, part of the reason we moved to TN. I love 4 seasons, but not the extremes of any of them.
I like winter but will say it wears on me a bit starting about now. I like spring - fall better, but make due in winter.

Heading out fishing in a bit.
Spring in Kentucky will drive you nuts too, sometimes.

Some years it seems like it begins raining at mid March and doesn't let up until June.

I hope that cycle doesn't play out this year.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Spring in Kentucky will drive you nuts too, sometimes.

Some years it seems like it begins raining at mid March and doesn't let up until June.

I hope that cycle doesn't play out this year.

That can happen here as well, so far February has been pretty nice, 10.5 celsius yesterrday and looks to be the same today with a low of 5 degress. 50 and 40 for those that need the F scale.

Winter still works for me.

Aye-aye sir.

Travis
I guess there's "winter people".

Why not be "on the road" and establish an address in a low tax state. For example, you could easily establish your legal address as South Dakota. You would have to stay out of your home state for six months and one day to make it all legal. South Dakota has no income tax and you can put all of your property in a South Dakota trust that can live on in perpetuity after you're gone, one of the few states that allows this. Also, South Dakota has no state income tax and no capital gains tax. Check it out -

Click Here

The only downside, if there is one, is that you will have to maintain an address in South Dakota, get a South Dakota drivers license and register at least one of your vehicles in South Dakota. You don't need a physical address, just use one of the re-mailing services to forward mail to you. You can do all of that by showing proof that you were in South Dakota for one day. A receipt from a local motel or hotel will suffice.

From my research, South Dakota is the closest thing we have to parking your money in an offshore account. And it's all legal, as long as you stay out of your true home state for six months and one day.
I would miss winter terribly. I would like way less summer, a lot less spring, more winter, and way more fall.
I guess there's "winter people".

We prefer "alcoholics" but yes.

Travis
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I would miss winter terribly. I would like way less summer, a lot less spring, more winter, and way more fall.

serious question,...why?

I'm honestly curious.

What is it about winter that appeals to you winter people?
It's all relative. When I was pounding nails and feeding cows I hated winter. Now that I'm not, it's my favorite season. No bugs, no bears and no tourists. My idea of paradise would be someplace with 12 months of Fall.
We got sick and tired of winter in Wyoming. As soon as we were done working, we hooked on to the trailer and headed for Arizona. We come down here about mid October and stay until about the third week in April. Still have a month of winter when we get back, but not quite as cold.

serious question,...why?

I'm honestly curious.

Many, many people cant wait for winter. They love skiing, snowshoeing, riding their snow machines, ice fishing, etc etc. Nothing at all wrong with that, glad they are having a good time, just not my cup of tea.

serious question,...why?

I'm honestly curious.

The weather is way more stable in terms of damage and with that, you can watch television without being constantly told of impending doom in either the immediate or more distant future.

Bugs are gone.

It is much easier to dress to stay warm in the cold than it is to stay cool in the heat.

Hunting season.

Blowing snow is required less often and is more fun than mowing gress.

There is less outdoor maintenance in general that one is expected to do during the winter.

There is something theraputic about curling up with a good blanket and/or a fire than there is about doing same in your underwear with a fan and air conditioner.

You are expected to travel less to places and events that you don't want to go to due to road conditions.

Just some of the things that I appreciate about winter.

,..not much extreme winter in Kentucky, but by this time of the year I'm numb with boredom.

I can't imagine how people up north function..

[Linked Image]

serious question,...why?

I'm honestly curious.

I HATE Summer like most folks hate Winter...Fall and Winter can't get here soon enough.

I don't like the heat, matter of fact I hate the heat. If it never got above 60 degrees, that would be okay with me.

I also enjoy what others call "dreary" weather. Cloudy, rainy, foggy,..I prefer that over the Baking Summer sun...

Just the way I'm wired.
It's 15 deg. F right now with a little light snow on top of the 6 or so inches we got overnight. I shoveled the driveway this morning. Folks are out ice fishing; there's a few snowmobiles out and about and I might get to go snow tubing later this afternoon. I guess if you're born & raised in a snow belt you either get used to it or you move south at an early age. One nice thing about having a long cold winter is that it will REALLY make you appreciate the spring when it finally arrives. Helps make summer a lot sweeter also.
Bahahahahahahaa!
Originally Posted by BrentD

Winter still works for me.

That is pretty damn funny coming from the ol' indoor gal.

When I was young, the cold and winter was an adventure. In middle age it was just something to deal with. Now that I'm approaching retirement, it's a PITA. Perpetual Fall would work for me though.
I'm honestly curious.

Keeps the summer people down to a minimum.

What makes summer so great?

Extremes.... either extremely hot or extremely cold, ain't for me but if I had my druthers, I'd druther be extremely cold. Temps over 100 with 90% humidity is Georgia August weather. Not good for man or beast.

Bristoe, in the grand scheme of things, you ain't in a bad place to be.

I would love to find a home on a lake maybe 150 miles north of my current latitude wink
I'm honestly curious.

Of course I went to the LSU baseball game Friday night and it was down in the 30's and saw women "almost" dressed this skimpy.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by NathanL
I'm honestly curious.

[Linked Image]

Touche'

We don't see much of that around here though.
B, ya got low-T, I'm tellin ya.

Why else would you be constantly whinin about bein locked indoors with that gorgeous gal?
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Why else would you be constantly whinin about bein locked indoors with that gorgeous gal?

Maybe he just got through..
I live at 7600ft+. It's winter here from Oct. thru April at least.You just do it and don't do any activity that means digging holes in the ground. Plowing or blowing snow consumes a lot of idle time even in this drought. Then yesterday, I spent 1/2 the day spreading manure.
You think 35 yrs old + 20 years is bad,t ry 35 + 35.
grinWindchill below 0,overcast. My son,my BIL and I spent 3 hours on the range shooting away with my 22-250,my BIL's Highway Patrolman and my Delta Elite. We had NOBOBY around to bother us!!! Oh, and I am 63 and I STILL enjoy the winter fun stuff grin
it's a tradeoff for me Bristoe, it's -8 here this morning as I went out to feed the chickens and haul in more firewood.

like akpls, winter is harder for me these days than it used to be.

even here it's getting harder to find true solitude. other than some pockets in the lower 48 it seems dang near impossible, the only true place of freedom left imo, when you're on your own.

if I had a 2-3000 acre ranch in America I could probably make do.

but it's a trade off for me, I love the wild game and wild fish here, I love that it's dang near impossible to find a barbed wire fence outside of the few settled places.

I love reading the tracks in the snow and trying to piece together what the critters were doing.

but I'm no longer in love with -35 and colder.

but it's a compromise.

I'm 55 and getting ready to make some major life changes, I'm going deeper to live in the country and away from more people.

I genuinely like folks, but I don't think it's very healthy to be crowded together, and there's just too many people in the lower 48, too many in Fairbanks to suit me any more.

I want to go deeper and enjoy the solitude and freedom that's left to me.
i enjoy our 2 weeks of winter.
It got down to 30 here last night. It was our coldest night so far. It has been in the 70s quite a bit lately. By March it will warm up for good.
I work in the arctic and live in e Washington......I am sitting on a beach in maui right now. This is working out pretty well.

Motorcycles.

Seriously,..I know it may seem fairly superficial,..but there's two things that I really find recreational,...riding motorcycles and a day at the range wringing my latest handloading experiments out of some new firearm.

Those two activities are about all the fun there is for me,...and I can't do them in the cold.

If I don't get to do those things for a long period of time,..the blues start to set in,...and the blues'll make us micks go off on some bad tangents.

Oh well,...it'll be over soon.

I'm takin' some time for *me* this summer, too.

It's time.

Get me a passport,...kick around Europe for a coupla weeks,...let the chips fall where they hit.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Yeah,..maybe so,...but the days of "high" T kept me in the doghouse like you wouldn't believe.

One of the few good things about getting older is the fact that you're no longer the victim of your dick.

serious question,...why?

I'm honestly curious.

I like winter a damnsite better than summer. Why ? Because there is alot of hunting to be done all winter here{as a matter of fact I just got home from rabbit hunting a few minutes ago}. Rabbits, grouse and fox are open thru Feb. and coyote till the end of March. After that, the only thing to look forward to until next fall is spring turkey in May. There ain't no damn bugs out in the winter and given proper clothing I can be out all day in comfort in temps down to -10 F no problem. In summer you can't do a damned thing outdoors without sweating your ass off and fishing is a piss poor substitute for hunting.
Yeah,..that makes sense,...hunting is your thing and it happens in winter.

Huntin' really ain't my thing,....shooting is,..but hunting is too much like work to me.

I used to roam the woods hunting.

I grew up in an area with woods extending back from my house as far as you wanted to walk 'em.

,..had a grandfather with coon dogs,...

I did it up pretty good for a while,...but it ain't there no more.
You can hunt in summer here (or all year long) if you want to hunt hogs and exotics like Axis deer etc...
Truth is B, I am more worried about your morale than the blood flow to your alter ego.

Yep, It's all that Arthuritis that has snuck up on us, We haven't had much of a "Winter" here in Michigan in 2 years but it sure has kicked my butt..
awww,...my morale'll be back.

I just gotta get some warm weather.

People who have been around me know how I get.

My wife has learned to dread the onset of winter just because she knows it makes me bang my head on the wall.

She goes into "back patting" mode ever year about this time to get me through the last few weeks of it.

I'm just a summertime kinda guy,...give me 3 pair of cut off blue jeans,..a motorcycle,..a milling maching and a 400 square foot hut in the Florida Keys,...I'd be the happiest sumbitch own earth.
Sleds
Snowshoes
Tip-ups
Clam huts
Guns
Steelhead rods
Hot coffee
Hot tea
Pure white clean snow, mornings so cold and silent that a [bleep] birds afraid to even come out to make a peep.

Better question is, why CANT YOU....stand more winter....???
Originally Posted by zr800

Yep, It's all that Arthuritis that has snuck up on us, We haven't had much of a "Winter" here in Michigan in 2 years but it sure has kicked my butt..

It's that chit that my doctor calls Reynauds (spelling?) syndrome that gets me.

About 20 minutes out in the cold,...my fingers go dead white and cease to function.

It's aggrevatin, man.

When it happens,..I fill the bathroom sink up with hot water and put my hands in it.

You can stand there and watch 'em go from white to pink as the blood decides to flow back into them.

My old man had the same thing,...
Originally Posted by archie_james_c

Better question is, why CANT YOU....stand more winter....???

Fug that cold dead chit.

I like warm and alive.
I get your winter doldrums in summer. It depresses the hell out of me really. Nothing to do but sweat and work and fish {just slightly better than watching paint dry for entertainment value} and sweat some more. Yuck ! I hate summer.
I hide behind a big oak....and throw rocks at all the passing cars hubcaps!!

Makes for a good day! Got 6 hits so far today!!

As for the DAMN YANKEES....they just don't know any better! When it's 30F...they run around in jockey straps and shower shoes!!
I don' like winter anymore. I even talk to my wife about moving to Kentucky Ironically. It was -9 this morning and about 8-10" snow. Not bad for February. I think I'd like winter a bit more if ya could get out and hunt something. We had 3' snow drifts all over this year and needed snowshoes for a while. That would be ok but there is so little to hunt here anymore. I can walk for miles on public land and not kick up a rabbit or squirrel. I sat 28 times deer hunting this fall and saw 2 rabbits. I just want something to hunt and this ain't the place. I talk about Kentucky or southern Missouri. The neighbors have family in Lake of the Ozarks. I want to get down there. I also went to Bowling Green Kentucky and it was nice. Not much different than S.E. Wisconsin but not exactly down south neither. Western Kentucky seems nice but I like to fish big rivers so it might be my cup of tea. Snow a bit, then melt. 45 degree highs, that would be nice for winter.

Lately, I've been giving a lot of thought to moving south. I never seriously considered it before,...I'm a dyed in the wool Kentuckian, but I'd really like to see fall arrive later and spring arrive earlier.

Seems like mid-South Carolina has the climate I'm looking for,....but I can't find an area there that interests me other than the weather.

Oh hell,...I guess I'll be okay when it hits 65 degrees again,...but before next winter arrives, I've got to have something set up to occupy myself.

It ain't gonna do it.

You already live in a state with oppressive summers.

As do I.

I spent two years in the Air Force on Shaw Air Plane Patch, Sumter South Carolina.

The humidity was even worse than here in Missouri and the in-your-face gnats were unbelievable.
The cold does bother my dad more than me(I'm 35, he turned 64 last month).
For the daily outside chores he'll wear more clothes, has the heater cranked up higher, doesn't want to be outside more than need be... And that's perfectly fine, he's certainly earned the right to turn the heater up a little more to warm back up.

His main problem is reduced circulation in his right arm/hand, that really gets him.

Unless it's windy and cold, most of the time Winter isn't too bad.
Thing that gets alot of us are the short days. Dark to dark repeated work days get old, daylight is getting longer though!
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

You already live in a state with oppressive summers.

Nah,...summers here are mild,..

You got to go down to Thomasville Georgia in July to experience an oppressive summer.

The *real* south is a whole different catagory.

Even the rain is hot.
Summer for me is working 7-12s and making money. Winter slows down and the gun projects begin to pile up.

Nothin' wrong with winter. Pussies.

Posted by DeerWhacker444:

"I HATE Summer like most folks hate Winter...Fall and Winter can't get here soon enough.

I don't like the heat, matter of fact I hate the heat. If it never got above 60 degrees, that would be okay with me.

I also enjoy what others call "dreary" weather. Cloudy, rainy, foggy,..I prefer that over the Baking Summer sun...

Just the way I'm wired."

I am just like Deerwhacker when it comes to summer. I absolutely hate it. Some get depressed during the winter...give me a few days in the 90's and I am nearly impossible to get along with. HATE THE HEAT!!! I just turned 61 recently and still thoroughly enjoy each winter day.

Give me a day in the teens or twenties with a mild breeze of 10-15 mph, snow flakes in the air and about 6-8" of snow on the ground, shotgun in hand, following my GSP looking for pheasants and I am in heaven. A cooler day with more wind will find me in the goose pit or duck blind. Any time it is in the 40's or 50's that is a good day for fishing, either open water on the river or ice fishing local ponds and lakes. On the really cold winter days, I usually am loading ammo, cleaning guns or workingn on my fishing gear.

Someone once asked my why I like what others call the cold, miserable winter weather. I replied I guess that saying I like that kind of weather can really piss off some people grin

Good things about winter:
NO grass to mow
NO bugs
The ol' wood stove going with a pot of stew or chili simming on top.
Most hunting seasons still open
NO sweat in my eyes.
A lot less people everywhere, especially at my favorite fishing holes.
Lots of birds to watch on the birdfeeders on the few days that I am in the house.
A great time to get caught up on projects in the shop, on the few days that I am not hunting or fishing.
Fur is good on the coyotes and they repsond to the calls well...especially on those cold, near zero, calm mornings.

Good things about summer:
Fall is on the way
Winter is on the way
Daylight saving time change falls on March 10th this year. That's only three weeks away from today. Less than two weeks after that is the first day of Spring.
Originally Posted by joken2
Daylight saving time change falls on March 10th this year. That's only three weeks away from today. Less than two weeks after that is the first day of Spring.

Good news!
Mid south carolina is about as opressive as it gets. You might want to think a little higher.

You know what area has a nice climate is upper Alabama, near Guntersville Lake. It's at the base of the mountains and while I was there it never got over 91. Nice enough in the mornings to fish for a couple of hours.

Virginia has a pretty nice climate but it's a costly state to live in.
At least it's starting to warm up, only -21 this am
We just get sick of it quicker than you do, We also enjoy summer more because we know whats comming.
the older i get, the more i can see why older people move south. i am sick and friggen tired of PA winters. i am considering looking for a condo to buy in SW Florida to use in the winter months when (if) i retire. haven't put much thought into it but would like to buy something i could rent out when i wasn't there.
Bunch of old 80-90 year olds still alive, you guys need to chill out and quit complaining...

Joke now, just kidding.....grin

I just shoveled us out for the third time in two weeks. I spent 2 - 8 hour days and 2 - 5 hour days moving snow. I am thoroughly sick of winter myself. I know the family gets the blues too so I try to cook more interesting things. I do a lot of baking. Blueberry muffins, pumpkin pie, chocolate chip cookies... Sweet desserts. It seems to help a little bit.
Luvin winter after December and January. More sunlight and less cold. Sunny every day and great downhill and xc skiing

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And some late season quail huns and chukar

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Mid south carolina is about as opressive as it gets. You might want to think a little higher.

You know what area has a nice climate is upper Alabama, near Guntersville Lake. It's at the base of the mountains and while I was there it never got over 91. Nice enough in the mornings to fish for a couple of hours.

Virginia has a pretty nice climate but it's a costly state to live in.

I was thinkin Muscle Shoals wink
yes. or Lake Lanier and environs. the Lake is up. grin

but, ya better bring your pocketbook. that close to the ATL you can expect some stiff competition for a lakefront house.

north ga. in the summer and down along the coast in the winter makes for a wonderful combination as the old bones refuse to age oh so gracefully.
Dog Mushing, snow shoeing, watching the Aurora Borealis, reading books, watching dog races, winter photography etc.
I think Bristoe is just funnin' with you all. He's using the "cold winter" to justify bringing his pet possum into the house! laugh laugh

He doesn't want it's bare old tail to freeze off.
Over the years, I've been into electric trains (mostly Lionel) during the winter months. Set up a layout before Christmas, mess with it until about March or April and then tear it down. Create a new one for next year. But some guys just keep building their own empire, you could make it summer year round there.

To steal a sig line from a guy on one of the train forums "Trains are a WINTER sport" (IIRC he was a surfer or sailboarder in the summer)

Dale
Moved back to TN after living in South Florida for 30 yrs and I can handle the cold weather hell of a lot easier than the burning heat in South,FL.

I stepped out of my truck to squirrel hunt at 6:00am & 19 degrees this morning...felt great!
Winter in Wisconsin is no problem once you get used to it!!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by NathanL
[Linked Image]

Nice!
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I think Bristoe is just funnin' with you all. He's using the "cold winter" to justify bringing his pet possum into the house! laugh laugh

He doesn't want it's bare old tail to freeze off.

I thought he ate that friggen thing already.
hey Bristoe,you need to get yer azz up here for a month.
Youll love kentucky winters thereafter.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

I HATE Summer like most folks hate Winter...Fall and Winter can't get here soon enough.

Just the way I'm wired.

You're not alone. It's cliche, I know, but the so-called dry heat I can tolerate some, but the heat with high humidity I abhor. South FL in summer, where it feels as if a wet, hot blanket envelops you, where even sitting in it has a man sweating, man, I loathe that kind of weather.

This pretty much sums it up for me:

"Best of all, he loved the fall..."

--Ernest Hemingway

Bristoe, I think California would be PERFECT for you and your bikes... wink
I'll take 92 degrees and sunlight at 8:30 PM,...a big slab of asphalt and 80 mph on 2 wheels.

That's when I'm alive.

,..sittin' here wondering why,..

I think maybe it's because I'm a type that needs some kind of jolt to the senses to work up a good "happy".

I don't guess it has to be a motorcycle. I suspect a P51 Mustang would do it real well,...but the most raucous thing available to me to get that jolt is motorcycles.

I can't afford a P51.

That must be why winter hits me so bad.

It's not so much winter itself,...but winter prevents me from getting my jolt.
Winter.

[Linked Image]

Is.

[Linked Image]

Too.

[Linked Image]

Damn.

[Linked Image]

Short.

[Linked Image]
Only thing nice about winter is that the Schlitz beers are always cool....Not enough whitefish in ND's icehole to make me like the rest....

I've got bullets to cast....

California is okay,...but it could never be home.

An old libertarian is going to be somewhat of a misfit anywhere he goes,...but California culture is way foreign.

California is okay,...but it could never be home.

An old libertarian is going to be somewhat of a misfit anywhere he goes,...but California culture is way foreign.

Ya'll could room with Rasin head, He11 he could even show ya how to fit in.
I don't need to learn to fit in.

I fit in where I fit in. When I don't, I don't.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Winter.

[Linked Image]

Is.

[Linked Image]

Too.

[Linked Image]

Damn.

[Linked Image]

Short.

[Linked Image]

Way cool, ND. I've ice fished for a lot of years, both just on the ice and in a few shacks/huts, but man, I've never had the pleasure of fishing from a luxury condo before! wink
Originally Posted by NH K9
Skiing, snowshoes, snow machines, ice -fishing, rabbit hunting (especially with beagles).....the list goes on.

I enjoy this time of year. I just wish the snow had come earlier in the season!

George

My sentiments exactly - only add hockey to the mix.
The water is a little harder, but at least you can drive where you want to go.
Jigging for whitefish in that pop-up. Offa Egg Harbor, Sconnie.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Wife and I loved Louisiana but not summers in December, part of the reason we moved to TN. I love 4 seasons, but not the extremes of any of them.

Wasn't too far from you this weekend. Spent some time in Franklin.... Leipers Fork to be exact...
Some go fishing using vodka for antifreeze.

[Linked Image]

Some grab some shoes and go for a walk.

[Linked Image]

Me, I sit sipping a martini and enjoy the view. Out back.

[Linked Image]

Or out front.

[Linked Image]

R&R. grin
I don't need to learn to fit in.

I fit in where I fit in. When I don't, I don't.

Sometimes ya feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't!*

*Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't.

You go, B. wink
Left kaintuck in about '89. Been to every state in the lower 48 and 3 countries but call Northeast Ohio home right now. Love the winters and snow, been that way since I was a little boy. Lived in the desert of SoCal for a while, Christmas time just isn't the same without the white stuff on the ground.
Seems like every place I go people think I am from Texas, must be the Appalachian draw.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

I can't imagine how people up north function..

[Linked Image]

serious question,...why?

I'm honestly curious.

Just the way I'm wired.

you'd love the coast in the Pacific NW...
You could try Central America. Guatemala In particular. I spent 3 mos. a year there for 4 years. I knew there was a reason the southern latitudes were settled before our northern border states.

At about 5000 ft. elevation the weather is an eternal spring. Very little wind. Most of the rain came about 4 in the afternoon. Sound perfect? well almost but these old ears don't hear well enough to learn Spanish and they didn't seem interested in learning English. But we enjoyed the people, the food and most everything about our stays. As you get older the commute gets harder. The country has many Americans. It is really a melting pot of people from all over the world. Try it you might like it.

Seems like mid-South Carolina has the climate I'm looking for,....but I can't find an area there that interests me other than the weather..
IIRC, wasn't there a scene on the news a day or so ago showing a rather large snowfall(storm) hitting SC?

But anyway - I hear ya.. I've been, for the first time in my life, getting sick of this wintertime climate here.. For the last two weeks I've been planning the trip to Sturgis; thinking of what to get for the camper, getting the wheeldock set up in the garage, already booked the campground west of Custer (MUCHO cheaper than I expected) and planning the route to get there in as short a drive (yet avoiding I-90. Screw THAT highway) as possible.. I've got spring fever bad.. Really bad.. smile
I'll take 92 degrees and sunlight at 8:30 PM,...a big slab of asphalt and 80 mph on 2 wheels.

That's when I'm alive.

I think maybe it's because I'm a type that needs some kind of jolt to the senses to work up a good "happy".

I don't guess it has to be a motorcycle. I suspect a P51 Mustang would do it real well,...but the most raucous thing available to me to get that jolt is motorcycles.
Ditto..

Well said - but I don't know about the 92 degrees.. Ok as long as the humidity's down to 15%.. Problem is, here it's usually 92 degrees and humidity's not far below.. THAT's the time I truly dislike summer..

But hey, as long as the road's dry, the sun's out, the pavement is new (either direction or quality) and the bike's tank is full - I'm a happy dude..

Originally Posted by Redneck
I've got spring fever bad.. Really bad.. smile

I'm looking forward to warmer weather for sure, but I'm making the best of it.

Snowplowing and a long walk around my property on snowshoes (with rifle and dog, of course)occupied most of my Saturday.
Sunday was spent on the ice with my family, catching a few fish and doing my best to make the best of this long slide through winter.

Before you buy that new bathing suit and suntan lotion, be sure which part of California you intend to visit.

wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's when I'm alive.

I can't afford a P51.

That must be why winter hits me so bad.

Mebbe you need to expand yer hoe-rye-zons, son. wink

Never dreamt they could do wheelies. That's a far cry from when I rode the old Rupp in the early '70's.

It ain't gonna do it.

Don't ask me...we get panicky if it gets below 15C (59f) in winter.
Between five winters in Alberta and three in Kazakhstan I am done with cold. North Idaho snow is fine as it ain't near cold.
Right now it's -39* F in Fairbanks. It tends to keep out all but the hardiest of riff-raff.
Originally Posted by ipopum
You could try Central America. Guatemala In particular. I spent 3 mos. a year there for 4 years. I knew there was a reason the southern latitudes were settled before our northern border states.

At about 5000 ft. elevation the weather is an eternal spring. Very little wind. Most of the rain came about 4 in the afternoon. Sound perfect? well almost but these old ears don't hear well enough to learn Spanish and they didn't seem interested in learning English. But we enjoyed the people, the food and most everything about our stays. As you get older the commute gets harder. The country has many Americans. It is really a melting pot of people from all over the world. Try it you might like it.
How are the gun laws?
The high in Austin in January averages around 60 degrees. Austin itself is too liberal, but there are a lot of little towns around there with anything you need in the city but without the 24-7 liberal horse shixt. There's a lot of illegals in Texas, but if it's just you and the Mrs...it would look good to me. Points on south for riding the bike even in the winter. LOTS of good fishing in Texas too.

I'm in the same boat as you Bristoe. I don't like the winters at all anymore.
Go kill some coyotes - if there's snow on the ground now, you'll miss it when it's gone
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Go kill some coyotes - if there's snow on the ground now, you'll miss it when it's gone
Supposed to be snow on the ground here around Fort Scott pretty quick.
I hope so, there's a mating pair of Yotes where I deer hunt that I am wanting to whack this weekend.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I hope so, there's a mating pair of Yotes where I deer hunt that I am wanting to whack this weekend.
Probably just be some ice storm here.
How do people stand more winter than this?

By working on projects like this...

[Linked Image]

Every thing is about ready to go. Made the trigger guard, pillars, mag well filler block (glue in) along with the scope rail blank. Action is blueprinted along with the bolt flutting and the addition of a new bolt knob. Also added a bolt release to the side of the action. Next step is to chamber/thread the barrel and do the stock inletting. Stock should be ready for clear coat in a few weeks...
The trick to getting through the long winter is finding things that you like to do in winter. Skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, ice fishing, predator hunting, etc. When you have lots to do and look forward to, winter moves right along. It doesn't hurt to take a week and go to a tropical location though, either smile
Ethan you did have to mention that did't you. It is just like it might be here. But that said someone who knows there way around can get almost any firearm you want. That includes full auto. Just the way the people can get them here regardless of laws. If you are there for a short while I can live with it.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
The high in Austin in January averages around 60 degrees. Austin itself is too liberal, but there are a lot of little towns around there with anything you need in the city but without the 24-7 liberal horse shixt. There's a lot of illegals in Texas, but if it's just you and the Mrs...it would look good to me. Points on south for riding the bike even in the winter. LOTS of good fishing in Texas too.

I'm in the same boat as you Bristoe. I don't like the winters at all anymore.
more illegals in the northmen states they just pass through here for the most part.
© 24hourcampfire