Home
Every time a fishing show comes on it is always catch and release.

Quit being a [bleep] Nance and keep what you catch.

Sincerely,

A concerned and avid fisherman
I quit the hunting channel after about two shows, and that was a long time ago. miles
There are some, and I emphasize some, good programs. But the fishing just pisses me right off. If you aren't going to keep anything, then cut the middle man and go to the [bleep] grocery store, like a Nance.
Liked Pigman for awhile. But I'm weaned from it now. And baseball season tends to wean me from any TV. Other than the baseball I watch on TV.
Watching fishing on television is like watching paint dry or an icicle thawing...
Isn't it "Nancy"?
Nance, Nancy Potato Potahto
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Sincerely,

So stop watching it.

Sincerely,

Hey - I watch those! It's amusing...

I personally mostly use a gill net for sock-eye salmon down home on the Kenai... smile But shee-fishing thru the ice in Kotzebue Sound next to the village has just picked up. Ain't nobody stuffing 30 lb. fish back down thru 5 or 6 feet of ice... smile

Sincerely,

Apparantly you're an imbecile and have no clue what it takes to produce a trophy pike or walleye.

Some fish should be kept such as salmon....but for trophy game fish on inland lakes, catch and release is becoming the law......and for damn good reason!
Well, I guess I'm an imbecile too. I grew up in NoDak, which has pretty good pike fishing. My permanent home for the last 30 some years is on the Kenai Pennisula of Alaska, which is fighting an illegal invasive introduction of pike into it's salmon habitat.

Currently I am living in Kotzebue, some 500 miles north, historic habitat to pike, along with chum salmon. They have adapted to each other. so to will the Kenai- in a thousand years or so...probably.

Pike are the wolves of piscus. I like both- within limits and in their proper place..

My idea of "catch and relese is a gill net and freezer. Anything else is playing with your food. I do that too, with rod and reel, on occaision, when I have time to waste, or just need to recreate...
All bass tournaments are catch & release. In our Southern lakes its entirely possible to severely deplete the population of bass by keeping everything you catch.
On a different note I received an email indicating the Outdoor Channel is moving from its Colorado hdq. due to the new gun laws. Assuming its true kudos to them.

Sincerely,

I swear to God, the more I'm around people the more time I want to spend in solitude.

What the Hell are you bitching about?

What are they leaving too many fish for you?
Are the fish getting too big in your area?
You think that because they C&R they've gone PC treehugger on you?

Sheesh...

Sincerely,

George, I love catch and release. Finally, its getting easy to get a nice mess of fish for the fryer.
I release all the fish I don't keep. grin
I catch lake trout that are older than I am and I'm in my 70s...I don't need to stroke my ego by hanging em on the wall and only want a few small ones for the comal pozo [Mexican fry pan].
Many years ago, I gave up most hunting/fishing shows. They are simply a joke mostly. I will watch one now and then for a bit, till my wife changes the channel because I start complaining....

RE eating a few and mounting a few, no big deal and should be shown just like shooting does and cows etc.....
Some fish you keep and some fish you throw back. Some you fish for food and some you fish for fun. I throw back redfish but keep flounders and speckled trout. I keep bream but throw back bass. I keep chicken halibuts but throw back the really big ones. I fish walleyes for food and smallmouths for fun. Pickled pike is wonderful. I don't recall ever having thrown back any silver salmon or groupers unless I already had my limit. Every legal size Spanish goes in the ice box.

There are very few fishing shows I watch these days. I live about 80 feet from 2 boats in lifts and would rather go fishing myself than watch someone else on TV. I do like North to Alaska.
They seem to me like a never ending commercial.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I release all the fish I don't keep. grin

grin grin

Yeah, I'm more into "catch and eat." There's lots of great fishing holes but people might have to walk a mile or two to find 'em. That's where the rub comes in.
i keep some but throw most back, unless its going on the wall i usually toss the bigger ones back cause more often than not they are the breeding females....well unless i havent caught anything else all day and feel like fish for supper....but in all reality i prefer beef to fish so i catch way more fish than im ever going to eat so 90% get tossed back regardless....
Originally Posted by milespatton
I quit the hunting channel after about two shows, and that was a long time ago. miles

yeah, I never even got started...

'here I am... sneaking up on this deer... with my 5 man camera team.... and it doesn't seem to hear us..'
Simple [bleep] really.... Next?

Sincerely,

I don't have my television set hooked-up to any pay-service, it's just for playing movies. I think that I've eliminated a lot of stress from my life by doing that. YMMV.

I do cheat, though: when I visit my Mother I set her DVR to record Formula 1 races and watch them a week or two later the next time I visit smile
I don't see the point in pulling the damn things in if you're not going to eat them. Some of them pull pretty hard.
I'm going to cancel my outdoor package. Most of the hunting shows suck,the fishing shows suck,i don't even watch them anymore so i'm going ditch them.
I'm sick of all the FISHING on the hunting channel. I could care less about fishing. Then there's the guys that sit in the same old tree on the same old food plot and shoot the same deer which is always standing in the same place after the guy goes "urrp" to make him stop walking. Then the deer is shot with the same compound bow and then we get the heavy breathing and a five minute orgasm with a fist pump.

If it was not for a couple of the African hunts they show, I would quit it cold. Hell, even most of the African shows suck.
I release all that live.
If I want to eat fish, I prefer fur burger.
Just sayin.

To the original op.
Most outdoor shows suck, not just fishing ones.
They are really just infomercials.
But if you can't sleep or it's 20 below with a 40 mph norther' it beats chess.
I love to fish but hardly ever eat them. 99.99% of my fishing is catch and release. It doesn't bother me to see a show that does that same.

In simple economics, it is better for me to buy my fish at the store. But I just like catching them.

RAS
I release 99% of them too. I'm not a fan of most freshwater species and I'm not prone to keep more than I can eat in a meal or 3. Prefer fish fresh, not frozen.
Originally Posted by RAS
I love to fish but hardly ever eat them. 99.99% of my fishing is catch and release. It doesn't bother me to see a show that does that same.

In simple economics, it is better for me to buy my fish at the store. But I just like catching them.

RAS

^^^^^^^^

That.

I used to like fish, and as a poor college student didnt have much choice but to keep them. I finally ate my share and frankly hope to never see a fish on a plate again!

However, my wife likes them once in awhile, so they dont always live to fight another day.... whistle
They had "colleges" back in the caveman era?
How did you throw back a beached whale, then?
I'd keep it.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Liked Pigman for awhile.

I did too. He doesn't do much pig whacking. I'm done with it.
Keep salmon during the fall run (for winter consumption) and occasionally a lake trout or two. Everything else is catch and release.

I guess the op misses the "good 'ol days", like when the Cuyahoga River caught fire...
1. Well-done outdoors TV programming, hell, any programming, is rare. You've my empathy (said f-it and disconnected directTV last month, don't miss it), but this is not news.

2. What's wrong with catch/release for fun if you're not going to eat them all, and the fish is in good health?

3. We all need to vent at times, but your bitch-dial is pegged at "11", isn't it? Turn off the TV, go do something. You'll feel better, pretty much guaranteed.

4. grin
Originally Posted by vapodog

Sincerely,

Apparantly you're an imbecile and have no clue what it takes to produce a trophy pike or walleye.

Some fish should be kept such as salmon....but for trophy game fish on inland lakes, catch and release is becoming the law......and for damn good reason!

Go ahead and score me a capital 'I' there VD, trophy fish go next to the trophy taters and hush puppies, they screw, they'll fertilize more.

OP, I can't/won't watch any of that dramatized horsechit.

Gunner
I got rid of both of my TVs a month ago. My cable bill dropped from $123/month to $39/month.

I get all of my news from the 24HC.
Originally Posted by gunner500
OP, I can't/won't watch any of that dramatized horsechit.
Gunner

Then, why, pray tell, are you on 24hrcampfire?
Knowledge.

Gunner
I hate all fishing shows period and don't watch much of the hunting any longer , all these people who hunt nothing but high priced ranch and game farm who really believe they are experts, especially the 20 years old's so called experts , make me laugh .
To add sanity to liberal hypocrites and to add truth in lieu of liberal bull schitt.
Plus if you watch the Hunting Channels , you would think no one hunts with anything but a Encore Single Shot
Catch and Release - the national policy. If it's good enough for border jumpers, it's good enough for poor innocent fish. Let 'em go, my gosh they don't even have eyelids, so they can see the coup de grace coming!

Outdoor Channel, it's somewhere above RFD-TV where the really interesting stuff is, such as the Superior Livestock Auction and Talk'n Tractors (I never knew they could talk, Mr. Ed yes, but tractors no) and Campfire Cafe. Then there is my all time favorite, the Mollie B Polka Party, which induces anesthesia better than propofol and xylocaine for a root canal. Five minutes of that stuff and you'll sleep right through most dental procedures. Don't waste your time on the whispering shows, besides draining hearing aid batteries faster, all the good stuff is on RFD-TV.
Everything on the hunting channel is pathetic.
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
, all the good stuff is on RFD-TV.

I love RFD-TV , I watch Hee Haw all the time on it
Originally Posted by 7 STW

I've seen some good coyote shoots, some good archery elk and moose, some good big bear hunts, some really big Canadian mule deer hunts.
Originally Posted by 7 STW

I watched one once for about 5 minutes, that was all I wanted.
It's easy to see why idiots....elect idiots!!
As I passed through the den today the TV was on some 'hunting' channel and the dudes were 'long range hunting Zebra' in Africa! First shot???
In the leg!! I just hooted!!
DUMBAZZES!!
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Catch and Release - the national policy. If it's good enough for border jumpers, it's good enough for poor innocent fish. Let 'em go, my gosh they don't even have eyelids, so they can see the coup de grace coming!

Outdoor Channel, it's somewhere above RFD-TV where the really interesting stuff is, such as the Superior Livestock Auction and Talk'n Tractors (I never knew they could talk, Mr. Ed yes, but tractors no) and Campfire Cafe. Then there is my all time favorite, the Mollie B Polka Party, which induces anesthesia better than propofol and xylocaine for a root canal. Five minutes of that stuff and you'll sleep right through most dental procedures. Don't waste your time on the whispering shows, besides draining hearing aid batteries faster, all the good stuff is on RFD-TV.

"besides draining hearing aid batteries faster"

grin grin That's the best reply yet!! grin crazy
Steelhead live...

[Linked Image]

And a good number of chrome salmon go in the freezer.

[Linked Image]

I've released a lot more than I've kept.
Nice photos by Salmonella.
The better you are at fishing, the more fish and the bigger fish you are going to net. Around here we usually have a 6 fish limit and 12 in posession limit. Catching 25 fish a day means there are a lot of fish that need to be released. Especially on a trip of more than one day.

Some people were raised poor and keep every fish even if it is over the limit. I suggest you change your ways. A lot of them get given away to people that really don't even like fish.

I don't like "put and take" fisheries and much prefer the fish that hang around for 3-5 more years after they are planted.
Originally Posted by EdM

I want to start a shoot and release show. Problem is, I haven't figured out what to do with the programming after I shoot.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Steelhead live...

[Linked Image]

And a good number of chrome salmon go in the freezer.

[Linked Image]

I've released a lot more than I've kept.

Great shots. In that top one you do look a bit like you're handing off a poached fish to a guy holding a gunny sack, though, like, all nervous and twitchy. smile wink
They all suck, except for Steven Rinella......
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by EdM

I want to start a shoot and release show. Problem is, I haven't figured out what to do with the programming after I shoot.

Lets make and sell a 30 pack of how-to dvd's over in mooselimbville. smile

gunner
Very good responses here! I recently lost the hunting channel, as I don't pay anything for cable. A few channels pop up and provide news and white noise.
I release a lot too, but keep a fair amount. Especially lake trout and rainbows.

I'm not a big fish eater, but it is really good for you (especially the cold water trout/salmon) so I eat it quite a bit. There's people who would skin me alive if they saw some of the browns I have kept out of the Green River. If its legal, and of descent size, I normally keep it.

Most native trout I like to release, especially cutthroats, but not always.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by EdM

Lets make and sell a 30 pack of how-to dvd's over in mooselimbville. smile

gunner

I'm in.

smile
laugh

Gunner
I just watched Alaska Outdoors TV. It was a great show of a father and son dodging big brown bears while hunting and killing deer on Kodiak. Got to hear one of the deer bawling that they shot and were trailing up when it got caught by one of the bears that came in on them after the shot.

Beautiful scenery.
I prefer the shows about panning for gold.
Originally Posted by vapodog

Sincerely,

Actually a lot of the laws are not for biological reasons,but simply for the trophy fisherman who wants to wag his wiener and say MINE IS BIGGER.Straight from a Wi.DNR Fish Biologist pertaining to large Bass,Musky and Pike. I throw them right into the frying pan!!!!

Sincerely,

Who's forcing you ta watch dis crap? X the channel.
© 24hourcampfire