Home
Posted By: Penguin Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/16/13
"Nyuk nyuk nyuk."

[Linked Image]

Well now that we have that mystery solved we can move on to other ones. Like how did Dutchhiller nail the Ohio win over Marshall (one of only three guys to do so)! Dutch hasn't checked in with his 5 for the week and I needed to get this up today so I'll allow him to defer till next week.

This was a wild wild week. From the TCU-TT head scratcher to the longhorn home stand implosion to the desert debacle in Tempe. They'll be some raw feelings over this one for a while now. While Mack Brown was driving another nail into the coffin housing his career at Texas Curly and the gang were introducing Wisconsin newcomer Gary Anderson to quality officiating... Pac-12 style. smile

Maybe we can get through this week without more of this stuff but don't count on it. Every time I look at a picksheet and think of how docile it looks I end up looking back on it wondering how I managed to not see a couple upsets. This one has the obligatory Penguin Upset Special on it. Not telling which one. All I can say is buckle up, after week #3 I think we can safely say that the party has officially started.

Good luck,
Will

Week #4 Games List:

1) Clemson at No Carolina St. - Thu
2) Boise St. at Fresno St. - Fri
3) West Virginia at Maryland
4) Kansas St. at Texas
5) Utah at BYU
6) Arizona St. at Stanford
7) Utah St. at USC
8) Tennessee at Florida
9) Auburn at LSU
10 Michigan St. at Notre Dame + total points tie breaker
Posted By: shreck Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
You just had to put the NC/Clemson game in the mix. Bet with my heart?
As an OU fan, I'm well aware of Pac-12 "officials"...

Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
The joke that is college football.

Let officials call inter conference games, who's employer stands to profit, if said team from their conference, is more successful.

Posted By: isaac Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
Good to see you posting,buddy.

You're the perfect man to explain that tie difference thing to me from our pool.

Hope all is well, man.
Posted By: Big C Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
Got to keep putting the Longhorns in there huh? There's a reason I quit doing this kind of stuff!! I can't pick against 'em, even knowing how bad they'll [bleep] the bed. eek
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
As an OU fan, I'm well aware of Pac-12 "officials"...

You didn't see this evidently-

Con Clu to the U Sive

Posted By: Cheesy Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
Originally Posted by Big C
Got to keep putting the Longhorns in there huh? There's a reason I quit doing this kind of stuff!! I can't pick against 'em, even knowing how bad they'll [bleep] the bed. eek

And I can't pick against K-State. We've beat UT the last 5 times we've played them, I hope we can make it 6, but I am running scared this year.
Posted By: byc Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
dangit! Just Curly F me now! dangit!

Stooges are right. Freaking comedic officiating in darn near every game.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
You didn't see this evidently-

Naw, hadn't seen that.... laugh

Week #4 Games List:

1) Clemson at No Carolina St.
2) Boise St. at Fresno St.
3) West Virginia at Maryland
4) Kansas St. at Texas
5) Utah at BYU
6) Arizona St. at Stanford
7) Utah St. at USC
8) Tennessee at Florida
9) Auburn at LSU
10 Michigan St. at Notre Dame
what prompted you to take the smurfs over the fresca's?
I've picked Fresca before and been let down horribly. BS University didn't look too awful last Friday. Had to watch it. My aunt from Boise was in town....

But,..as usual, everything is subject to a last minute Panic change.!

Might take FS,..just don't know...
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
Originally Posted by isaac

You're the perfect man to explain that tie difference thing to me from our pool.

Hope all is well, man.

If you pick the tie breaker game correct, you get the "tie pick". The difference between your overall score and the actual overall score, is the tie difference. For the season standings the "tie difference" is cumulative.

So if the 1st 3 games had scores of 30-10, 40-10 and 10-7, and you picked 52, 55 and 20 you would have a cumulative tie difference of 20 points.... 12, 5 and 3 points added together.
Which reminds me Will....was the Clemson weighted extra point ever added back in? Does not appear so when you look at week 1 standings.
Originally Posted by Foxbat

Hope all is well, man.

If you pick the tie breaker game correct, you get the "tie pick". The difference between your overall score and the actual overall score, is the tie difference. For the season standings the "tie difference" is cumulative.

So if the 1st 3 games had scores of 30-10, 40-10 and 10-7, and you picked 52, 55 and 20 you would have a cumulative tie difference of 20 points.... 12, 5 and 3 points added together.

Hey Fox,

Makes ya' wonder how he got through law school. lol. wink grin
byc,

You get no point and you should just be happy we let you play.

laffin. grin
I'm having hiccups on this Boise/Fresno game...

Thoughts..?

Will the revelation of [b][color:#3333FF]Pelini's comments[/color][/b] about fans expedite his firing at Nebraska..?
Posted By: TDC Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
Plug your ears and drink some water
Posted By: TDC Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
The Neutered Dame / Mich St is also a tough one
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
It would appear that my level of competence in picking the winners in college football games has at last evolved to the same level as my competence in life in general.

There is no way in hell that NCS should have a chance against Clemson, other than the fact that I don't believe that I have ever correctly picked a game involving either them or the team over in Charlotte.

Let's see, Boise got schooled by Washington, then ass-hammered some dude from Tennessee named Martin, while Fresno beat Rutgers in basketball and didn't beat some parrot named Cal by all that much.

It would appear that Maryland has managed to avoid any competition whatsoever, while W.V. stuck OU in between some couple who seem to be going steady and the worst team in FBS.

Kansas State has bounced back from its loss to an FCS team by handling two teams it should have handled, while Texas has gotten its excrement handed to it on a platter by two teams that their fans look down upon.

Utah seems to have potential, while I'm still trying to figure out BYU's loss to Virginia. (Maybe Texas really does suck that bad.)

It would seem like Arizona State will need more than official incompetence to beat Stanford.

I really like Utah State and dislike USC, so the outcome of this one should not be at all in doubt.

Does Florida have any offense? Does Tennessee have anything?

How soon can Auburn rebound from its bout with Chizikorrhea? Can Miles tell time?

Michigan State has been impressive against weak competition. ND has been unimpressive against better competition.
I picked Maryland strictly for the seizure inducing uniforms...

[Linked Image]

Last Thursday was my first "W" for Will's party. No way I can win two in a row.

I'm taking Clemson. The rest of you pick accordingly.

DW444...Md? You can only get to 9-1 now.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/17/13
I picked Maryland strictly for the seizure inducing uniforms...

[Linked Image]

The phrase "shucks sit" comes immediately to mind. I don't get this whole notion of sending football players out in costumes, especially not ones that look like rejects from the closet of a court jester.
Utah St/USC is the one that has me flipping coins...many times.

I'm going with Fresno St cuz only metro-sexuals would have a blue football field. Actually, pure coin toss.

DW444...Md? You can only get to 9-1 now.

Hell Yeah.. My Lock of the Week... grin

Come on man,be fair. I posted my locks and I'm 4-4.

I want you to take Md. Now I can focus on the others.

I'm taking Maryland,..WV is Bi-Polar at best...

9-1 would be a step up...

wink

Good luck,bro'!

Check out the last 5 times they played. I'm trying to help.

Me and JM are trying to help byc,too.
I bought one of those sex toy slings JM has in his sig line. I'm fine now!! smile
TFF. You know retaliation is in your near immediate future,right?
I'm thinking of donating a few wins to DW444 just to bring his standings to page 1 of the spreadsheet. Took me forever to find him.
I usually excel going down the stretch late in the season..

Nobody's paying any attention,..and then BAM,..outta nowhere, I'm in 14th place..

grin
I was shooting for last place week 3 and darned near made it.

Thanks to Will loading up on Utah and Texazzzz picks it will likely be this week.
Posted By: isaac Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/18/13
#3 Clemson over NO CAROLINA ST.
FRESNO ST. over Boise St.
West Virginia over MARYLAND
TEXAS over Kansas St.
BYU over Utah
#5 STANFORD over #23 Arizona St.
Utah St. over USC
#19 FLORIDA over Tennessee
#6 LSU over Auburn
#22 NOTRE DAME over Michigan St.
Posted By: Penguin Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/18/13
I was wondering if anyone was brave enough to take Texas.... still dont know if I am! :p

Will
Posted By: byc Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/18/13
NO! NO way!

But I will still lose on this pick. ACK!
Nope,..not picking Texas. If I lose, so be it.

I'll take Bill Snyder's and his coaching ability over Quack Brown any day...
For myself, I'm figuring 7-3.

When Will makes the picks, I grab a dime and a rabbit's foot and pray I stay in the top 10.

I may change my mind on the WVU/MD game. Being a Homer is one thing, being a dumbass is another.

Hoop...maybe you could get back in the game by picking the best QB butts like Sassy.
Posted By: Charity Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/18/13

Hoop...maybe you could get back in the game by picking the best QB butts like Sassy.

This thread is worthless without pictures!
WVU "might" overlook Maryland for next weeks opponent,..Oklahoma State University.

At which, Dana Holgorsen was the Offensive Coord. for a year and would probably really like to beat his former boss, because I bet Gundy was sore when Holgorsen left after just 1 year...

or

WVU might beat the snot out of Maryland....

Conventional wisdom says one thing,..Spidey sense says another..

I looked far down the standings list and saw your name, bro'!

What you put on your smoker gets more of my attention.

We really need a special "side thread" so we don't get compelled to play along with the rookie hobbyists.
Posted By: byc Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/19/13
Oh my! Just one win (point) back after a terrible 4-6 pick week. What does that say for pickers like JM? You should be at least 5 up on me. Laffin!

About to put the heat back on so get ready. Also gonna' win that sling just to really rub it in. cool

Get your picks in Ladies,..game tonight.!
Originally Posted by byc
Oh my! Just one win (point) back after a terrible 4-6 pick week. What does that say for pickers like JM? You should be at least 5 up on me. Laffin!

About to put the heat back on so get ready. Also gonna' win that sling just to really rub it in. cool

I went 5-5 on week 2. LOL. Historically, I start working my way to the top around week 5-6, when it ceases being a guessing game and my amazing skills of analysis can be better utilized.

grin

This is going to be a tricky one. We've had some tough matchups the last 2 weeks and this one will be no different.

Will is doing an excellent job of picking games.

p.s You and Bob scared to try to win a new sling? I see you homo's have not made a prediction on tonight's game.
Posted By: isaac Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/19/13
In about 20 seconds,when I'm done, I'll let your girlfriend tell you who I picked for tonight.
Hi Dee...I'll be home later,babe. I'm pretty exhausted though and my jaw is out of alignment.

Bob is taking Clemson.

Love you.

Up to 20 seconds now Bob?

That's an improvement!

Looks like you earned the nickname "shorty" twice.

LOL
Ya'll don't listen to him.

I sent her up there because at this late stage of his life, Bob decided he wants to learn how to read.

The only thing that boy is handling is flash cards.

And trying to decide if he should tie his dick up or down. grin
Posted By: TDC Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/19/13
It is going to be an underdog week. Go 'eers!
She makes the most adorable gurgle noises.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/19/13
Keep feeding her saurkraut and beans.
She makes the most adorable gurgle noises.

That's you Bob...

Attempting to sound out vowels. LOL

She says you should be reading your first word in time for Christmas.
Laffin'...

NC St.
Did he finally figure it out. I mean geeze there is more than one school with a football team in NC.
It actually takes a village for some,David.

I'm thinking 7-3 again, if I'm lucky.

Dee must be stuck trying to figure out one of those IHOP crossword puzzles.
Posted By: Penguin Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/19/13
WVU "might" overlook Maryland for next weeks opponent,..Oklahoma State University...
or

WVU might beat the snot out of Maryland....

They might. WVU doesn't seem to have the emotional maturity under Holgersen that I like to see. Maryland despises WVU, believe me when I tell you there is nobody on the schedule they would rather beat.

But there is reason for optimism as well: WVU ~might~ have found its new QB. I figured Childress to begin the season as starter but it took a few games. He might be the difference in this game but he is still a freshman on the road early in the year. Might take the road dog on this one.

Right now I'm leaning Boise on the road and BYU at home. K-State and Texas is like walking up to a stick of dynamite with a fizzled fuse... you keep wondering if the thing is going to go off on you. Can Texas actually be this bad? I guess we'll see. Might take K-State just to see what it looks like. smile

Will
Originally Posted by Penguin
Can Texas actually be this bad? I guess we'll see.
Will

Yes, they can. I'm in Austin all this week and have been amusing myself reading the "fire Mack" or even "burn Mack at the stake" stuff in local media. They've got the scaffold already built and the rope ready for the next loss.

I'm convinced he's holding goat pictures of the UT president and AD to have held on this long.

He is still much hated in NO for the way he handled his departure to NC from Tulane back in the late 80s.

I doubt he finishes out the season.

They're probably rounding up the money to buy his contract out which supposedly runs through 2020.

That was damn smart of them...
I can imagine that well Steve. No one likes losing and certainly not a blue chip laden state like Texas with a history like they have.

Maybe some of the problem is that their recruits aren't as good as they imagine? Or that they aren't implementing a system that uses that talent well? Or that the coaching staff is complacent and ineffective?

Could be. But I have to believe that a good part of it started years ago and it was when they turned away from dominating at the point of attack. Otherwordly quarterbacking by Vince Young only encouraged it. Pass, pass, pass... bah.

If I were in charge of Texas football my first order of business would be to hire Bob Bostad and put him in charge of all things offensive lineman regardless of cost. And then I would bring in the biggest meanest most physical o-linemen I could lay hands on and I would put them to work. And then I'd start doing the same with other positions and their coaches. I'd make Texas the most physical team in CFB.

Mack may have gotten soft but their biggest problem is that his teams are soft.

Will
... they aren't implementing a system that uses that talent well? ... it started years ago and it was when they turned away from dominating at the point of attack... Pass, pass, pass... bah... I would bring in the biggest meanest most physical o-linemen I could lay hands on and I would put them to work...

As always, insightful thoughts that can be applied to many other programs as well! The concept of zone blocking has led to offensive lines that resemble turnstiles instead of bulldozers. The pass-happy crap has taken two of the most vital positions on offense out of the picture - fullbacks and tight ends. Good post!
That's why Alabama keeps kicking the schit out of these passing schools.

Historically, they run the ball. They have big offensive linemen and are deep at those positions.

By doing this, they control the clock, keep the opponents offense off the field and their defense on it.

Simply put, by the middle of the 3rd quarter they have worn the defense out and begin to walk away with the game.

Throw in a good defense and you've got the recipe for winning games and championships.

Unfortunately, many other schools don't realize this.

Had they not gotten their asses in a hole in the 1st qtr against A&M, you would have seen them just grind it out on the ground and A&M's defense would have been gassed by the 4th qtr.

LSU does basically the same thing, just not as well.

Thanks John. You and I think a lot alike in the matter of offensive philosophy... we may be biased. smile

Texas and Oklahoma are two programs that absolutely baffle me. There are a handful of true college football bluebloods. These guys can go in and land more than their share of the absolute best HS players in the country. They can choose to run any system they wish and fill the roster with talent that fits. Texas and Oklahoma qualify for blueblood status under even the most strict interpretation.

So why, exactly, do you choose to run a system that has been shown to be inferior to the old power/play action system?

People act like there is some grand mystery as to why Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and these other SEC juggernauts are successful. And noone seems to notice that they run almost exactly the same systems. And that USC, probably the nation's best under Pete Carroll, did exactly the same thing.

It's simple as hell and why any member of college football's true elite choose to run anything else is a mystery to me.

Will
I agree 100%. It ain't like the SEC is grabbing all the talent, it's out there in the other conferences.

A lot of the problem in other conferences is that the offense is built on the capabilities of a couple of players, whereas SEC teams do a good job of spreading the load. SEC teams also have much better defenses, maybe because they benefit from the ball control offenses. I don't know if that's it or not, but it appears to be the case.

Being able to control the clock is a game winning strategy, yet many opt for just trying to outscore their opponents with no regard for time.

The problem occurs when you run into a team with a strong defense
and an offense that executes the run/play action strategy well.

Your high octane offense rides the pine while your defense is getting used up on the field.

Urban Meyer will bring some of that SEC mindset to Ohio State and it will pay dividends.
1) Clemson at No Carolina St.- don't think NC St can hang offensively

2) Boise St. at Fresno St.- Boise has not impressed me so far this year, struggled defensively with Air Force and got blown out by Washington. I have not seen Fresno play but they are being hyped preseason as a possible "BCS buster." If Rutgers can hang 51pts on them though, then Boise should be able to as well. It's hard to go against Coach Petersen and the Broncs.

3) West Virginia at Maryland- Edsall did good, good things with UConn and maryland isn't so beat up this year. WVU needs to show me something before I pick 'em, although this may be the week.

4) Kansas St. at Texas- Ugh, took Tehas last 2 weeks and got burned. I still think they are due, but they need to show me something after getting their asses handed to them by 2 middlin teams. On the Cats.

5) Utah at BYU- Historically a close game with Utah dominating of late, good rivalry. BYU off a big win and then a bye, this is a tough pick. Going with the Utes though.

6) Arizona St. at Stanford- scumdevils off a big win, hopefully drained emotionally. Hope the Tree pounds them. The buzz is on the scumdevils in the gambling world, however.

7) Utah St. at USC- Let's gamble. Chuckie Keaton is supposedly the man though I've not seen him play much. USC may have found some offense and their defense seems pretty decent. I have to believe this is a very big game for Utah State, I know they'd LOVE to pull this off. Also hard to side with Lame Kiffin.

8) Tennessee at Florida- C'mon Gator Defense! If Driskell can just manage a game this week, gators should win.Big rivalry though.

9) Auburn at LSU- probably be closer than expected, Auburn seems improved this year but LSU is the safe play.

10 Michigan St. at Notre Dame- ND not looking too good, a lot of D came back but they seem to lack the leadership of last year. Sparty offense is garbage though, I think coach Kelly has the Irish ready to go.

Equally as mysterious is why schools at the lower end of the "gifted and talented" spectrum insist on attempting to complete by implementing systems that they have neither the personnel nor skill to run. As you state in your opening, why try to force players into a system that they cannot run effectively? Find the system that best fits the level of talent that you can import and keep it simple, again as you mentioned, develop a point of attack and go after it.
Yep, and Brady Hoke is bringing it back to Michigan.

I think a lot of people freaked out about systems and whatnot in the Big Ten without thinking it through. The problem wasn't the system it was the quality/type of players.

The SEC incorporated speed on the edges to prevent the passing teams from being able to burn them. Disruptive, lightning quick DEs and NFL caliber corners. Offensively they had NFL caliber receivers that ~made~ you defend the whole field... so they could go back to beating you to death between the tackles.

A man could go back and watch each and every Nebraska bowl game from, say, the early 80s to the late 90s and see what the Big Ten needs to do in order to be successful. The change over the years spells it out.

Will
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Equally as mysterious is why schools at the lower end of the "gifted and talented" spectrum insist on attempting to complete by implementing systems that they have neither the personnel nor skill to run. As you state in your opening, why try to force players into a system that they cannot run effectively? Find the system that best fits the level of talent that you can import and keep it simple, again as you mentioned, develop a point of attack and go after it.

That's a great point John. I once heard Rich Rodriguez explaining his rationale behind developing the Spread Option and he said he could get all kinds of leftover playmakers but he couldn't staff a traditional offense with the kind of talent the elite schools could. So he invented an offense to get those leftover playmakers in the game and out in space.

Wisconsin is another team that recruits to availability. They grow huge, powerful linemen in Wisconsin. They can get playmakers from out of state. Solution? Go neanderthal on offense and keep it simple.

Will
I just want to be able to make my picks on Sunday.
I just want to be able to make my picks on Sunday.

I'd probably still screw them up.
Looks like the first game this week is a write-off...
shreck even you!?

The shame of it all!!
Posted By: byc Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/20/13
Oh crap! Look at the moon. It's a big azzz full wolf moon!!!!!
Posted By: isaac Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/20/13
I won two Thursdays in a row? Crazy season already.
Posted By: TDC Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/20/13
That game last night could have been much different had the NC State touchdown not been erroneously called back in the 3rd. A fumble followed and a huge momentum shift put Clemson over the top. Even the easy games are iffy picks it seems. Looking for some upsets this week.
That game last night could have been much different had the NC State touchdown not been erroneously called back in the 3rd.
========

Stuff like that happens 30 times during a season. It just sucks when you coin-tossed it the other way 28 times.
Yep. Clemson seemed like an easy pick, but I was worried for a minute. The call on the touchdown was a bad call. I am worried about the WVU/MD game. Had to take my Mounties, but I am not feeling too confident. MD is due to win one against us but we always seem to have their number.
Posted By: Penguin Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/20/13
We do but this season they look to be a more settled team. Honestly I wasn't sure Edsall would last long enough to turn the corner but he may have done it. This week will tell us a whole lot about a whole bunch of teams.

Question is can you survive long enough to be in the running after the first month or so when you have your bearings. Then you have the inevitable bloodbath of upsets week that happens most seasons. shocked

Will
I am worried about the WVU/MD game
==========

I'm freaking out over this game. Vegas making Md the favorite broke my heart as to where the WVU program was heading.
We had Edsall's number when he was at UConn too.
I like being the underdog in this MD game
Bob, as for where this program is heading, I think we will be OK if Childress pans out. This week is his first real test, so we will see. The D is young and improving and should be fairly solid by next year. There is hope for the future.
WVU will win.

LPE lock of the century.
Posted By: byc Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/20/13
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
WVU will win.

LPE lock of the century.

GG! Get a grip. Marylands loss streak is about to happen but not until next week.
Posted By: byc Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/21/13
Boise-Fresno is a pretty good game. Teams matchup well.

10-10 end of Q1.
Posted By: TDC Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/21/13
Who's your pick?
Most, including me took Fresno.
I think Southwick's cheesy mustache is affecting his throws
Looks like he drew it on with a sharpie or a lump of coal.

Decent game at the half. Fresno has a quick defense.
darned good ballgame!!

34-32 with a 8 minutes to play.

ESPN Game Day will be in the Dakotas tomorrow!!! Say whaaaat!??
Well, I was on the wrong side of that one, barely.
Posted By: isaac Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/21/13
WOW...my coin tosses are landing on the good side for me on these weekday games.

Like last week,I feel like a winner at 7-0 and then I lose every game after 5pm.
Heck of a game last night, Circus plays and all.
I must be using the wrong type of coin.
Freaking TX-KSU pick is giving me fits.

Gave up on trying to figure out anything Utah. mad
Good thing you've got till 2:30 to ponder...
Okay JM! laugh

Maybe I should let the Koi in the back pond make these picks.
Originally Posted by byc

Here,..let me help,..................................KSU it is.!

======

That and ND vs. Mich St for me.

All I know is the dime that won the last two Thursdays and last night for me isn't going into a soda machine anytime soon.
North TX is giving Georgia fits.

#!*&!*!!*#%&!!#!&*%# directv heathens are making me follow eers-terps on gamecsst. Locals are showing TN Middle something or the other vs FL Art Inst bs instead. WTF???
That blows. The Marsha / VPI game has been interesting
Posted By: Penguin Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/21/13
Whoa! Marhall 21 - VT 14...

Tech really isn't what they used to be.

Will
Ah poppycock!

I forgot to enter my picks for last week and this week's upset pick for me was Boise. It looks like an upsetting week for moi. cry

But hey! It gave me a chance to use the word poppycock! grin
Originally Posted by byc
North TX is giving Georgia fits.

#!*&!*!!*#%&!!#!&*%# directv heathens are making me follow eers-terps on gamecsst. Locals are showing TN Middle something or the other vs FL Art Inst bs instead. WTF???

North Carolina is doing the same to Georgia Tech.
Not at all. Hokie nation is hating football right about now.

14-7 GA over No. TX. How great could this be?

Go Mean Green!
I didn't think Iowa had 38 points a game in them, let alone in a first half. Even against W. Mich.
21-14 dawgs but mean green means bitness!

This is getting better and better!
Posted By: Penguin Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/21/13
Iowa is a whole lot different this year than the last couple. They still aren't exciting but they are much better in the trenches. We'll see how much better they can get with some experience.

Will
Holy girley!

21-21 mean green and dawgs!
Dawgs came back and are up 35-21, but if this is the best they have, they're going to have a really bad day when the Tigers come to town.
Still 29 minutes left BYC...

Have you by chance, compared Kansas St.'s win percentage when they play Evening games vs Day games..?

Interesting....
I'm happy at 2-0. No more scores,please.

Georgia having a bit of a let down game today.
Good Lord ! Who on Earth is designing VT and MD unis? If they were playing one another it would look like a bunch of Crayola crayons running around the field.

Have you by chance, compared Kansas St.'s win percentage when they play Evening games vs Day games..?

Interesting....

Please tell me this falls in the favor of the Spartans!!
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Dawgs came back and are up 35-21, but if this is the best they have, they're going to have a really bad day when the Tigers come to town.

Yup! Dawgs are lucky those heavy rains started because it was looking like mean green had the dawgs numer on passing and TO's. Wonder if BoBo will "save Girlieeee for the 2nd half" of the LSU game? I doubt it.
Gators/Vols is a cluster....two really bad teams mutually trying to give the game away. Vols up 7-0, but the coughed it up on their ten....Tennessee can't get it in on three tries and will try a FG
14-0 Md over WVU.

I'm switching to girl's field hockey.

I lost that one.
Terps are just flat out walking the dog. They came to win.

Rain is setting in.

I'm afraid to even glance at Gators and Vols. That has to be a CF.

17-0 Maryland.

WVU should just sneak to the bus and leave at half.
Jeez....another turnover by the Vols....that's three by them and one by Fla. in first 17 minutes. But Gator's offense is so inept they're still trailing 7-3

seems like a long, long time ago when Tennessee-Florida was the premier matchup in the SEC East

How they mighty have fallen...

They both suck.
Yes that have. Seeing a trend of good players sticking closer to home now and even considering smaller schools. Not sure recruiting's what it used to be.

Some of those North Texas players against GA were every bit as good as what you will see in the SEC.
Recruiting is just fine and Dandy for many schools....Just not at Florida or Tennessee...

The SEC East has been the weak sister for awhile and it looks like they will be again this year.

I doubt N. Texas would fair too well with an SEC schedule. cry

seven first half turnovers between Vols and Gators.

17-7 Fla. at half
Go play with your slings while you re-read what I posted.

Your Tarheels played well today. laugh
Sorry byc,

I think you should re-read what you post. grin

N. Texas players are as good as anything in the SEC?? laffin.

If that was the case, N. Texas would be 200-0 over the last 20 years.

I know you are upset with SC's inevitable loss occurring so soon and Clemson being exposed Thursday night. wink

Take heart David, there is always next year...and the next, and the next.. wink
Okay sonny---stop being so dense. sleep

Originally Posted by byc
Some of those North Texas players against GA were every bit as good as what you will see in the SEC.

"Some" of those players. RIF! I can enroll you if you'd like.

We'll see who comes out on top of the SEC good buddy. You just best hope it's not SC football that travels to ATL cos we've already seen what SC schools do to Bama and LSU. grin
Freaking pouring rain in the WV - MD game. Thinking eeers are toast with the wet. That's what shut down mean green.
South Carolina & Clemson haven't come close enough to even sniff a National Championship...ditto for an SEC one as well for SC.

Do me and people who appreciate football a big favor.

Never mention those two schools in the same sentence as LSU and Alabama again. grin

It's sacrilege and you can be deported to South Carolina for such behavior. wink

David, I hope they both have great seasons as they are top notch football teams this year.
Posted By: Nail Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/21/13
Soooooo, West Virginia may not have been good choice.
Moses and isaac told me it was. Guess you know which way I went. laugh
I went against my better judgment on that one.

Other schools have caught the gay today as well...

Florida barely beating Tenn. in 3Q

USC tied with Utah State I 3Q

Notre Dame barely leading MSU 10-7 in 3Q

May have the makings of a crazy weekend!
10-10 MSU game. Things are falling right in line here. cool
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/21/13
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
South Carolina & Clemson haven't come close enough to even sniff a National Championship...ditto for an SEC one as well for SC.

Do me and people who appreciate football a big favor.

Never mention those two schools in the same sentence as LSU and Alabama again. grin

It's sacrilege and you can be deported to South Carolina for such behavior. wink

David, I hope they both have great seasons as they are top notch football teams this year.

Clemson and LSU have the same number of undefeated season National Championships, during my life time. If I was a Bama fan, I'd be insulted being put in the same group as LSU. laugh
Had to preface that with undefeated season huh wizard?

Tell me Poindexter, do National Championships not count if you win one with a loss?

Please site references.

Thought so, I see you're still full of meaningless trivia. grin
If I was a Bama fan, I'd be insulted being put in the same group as LSU. laugh

that would be the Alabama that went 1-1 with LSU year before last, and was losing to LSU with 52 seconds left in their game last year? that Alabama?
Looks like his meaningless trivia is one sided...

Off to eat ribs and watch football fellas.

At least we have close games to watch. grin
Just pointing out that but for the grace of god and a mountain of luck, LSU's 2007 season would be no different than the seven 2 loss seasons that Clemson has had the past 25 years.

There's really not much difference between Clemson and LSU over the past couple decades. In fact Clemson never had the wretched run that LSU had in the 90's and that's not that long ago. I still got some t-shirts that fit from that time period. laugh

that would be the Alabama that went 1-1 with LSU year before last, and was losing to LSU with 52 seconds left in their game last year? that Alabama?

Wait what? the Bama-LSU game I remember the year before last was the biggest asz raping in BCS history.

Wait what? the Bama-LSU game I remember the year before last was the biggest asz raping in BCS history.

after they'd lost to LSU in overtime at home during the regular season...it was in all the papers....you have a very selective stat memory

Just like UF's mulligan in their 1996 NC season against FSU, no one remembers the first game. wink
and, unfortunately, nobody will ever forget the second.
Damn, Utah State almost came thru for me.

SOME of these officials get worse every single week. It's pathetic the way they're taking the play out of the game. Especially, in the 2nd half.

Not sure what their motives are but they need to let the players play!
well, it's raining in Tiger stadium on a Saturday night...last time I remember that happening was another Auburn game four or five years ago.

game just underway
Posted By: Penguin Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/22/13
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Damn, Utah State almost came thru for me.

For the life of me I couldnt figure out how USC was favored. They sqeaked one out but they stink this year.

WVU looks about a decade away.... argh!

Will
Posted By: byc Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/22/13
Heard they shut down 3 tailgate lots due to rain and being underwater. Shutting down tailgate lots anywhere is pretty serious business. But especially, in this part of the country.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/22/13
Wonder what Mrs. Bielema will be tweeting this week.
my daughter called from a friend's tailgate...which is thankfully on a blacktop lot by Lockett Hall....she said it is a sloppy mess, and it's still raining pretty good.

Tigers up by 7 early
Good question John. I dont know what is worse Purdue losing to Cinn by 72 or the hawgs dropping one to Rutgers. Been some bad losses this season.

Stanford is looking crisp against ASU.

Will
Posted By: shreck Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/22/13
I'm happy so far.
LSU is making it look easy.
Auburn looks pretty hapless so far. This could get real ugly if they don't cowboy up soon.
Originally Posted by shreck
I'm happy so far.

I wish you NO luck with TX. grin I'm done with 'em.
I'm happy so far.

Yeah no kidding! :p

K-State is either going to mitigate my losses this week or turn it into my mulligan lol.

Will
Your mulligan is an 8-2?? HA! I wish!

I have a very ugly 4-6 in there. It's JM's fault.
Stanford has their game in the bag, LSU is administering a good beating. Beer's cold, what's not to like.
Thought I already dropped two. Guess it aint that bad yet. I jumped off of Michigan State late and forgot about it.

Stanford is killing ASU. Thats what a real top 5 team looks like fellow badger fans.

Will
friends just texted from game...it is straight down pouring....they are adjourning to the tailgate tent to watch it on the big screen and drink lots of whiskey
wow---27 yard circus catch by Landry down to Auburn 15 in a pouring rain....that was pretty.

well....f me...ball comes out and Auburn gets it at the two.

Good luck wit' dat', boys
Posted By: isaac Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/22/13
If I can't do better than 8-2 or 7-3 each weekend I am going to have to spend time with Karen at the mall.

Hope all is well, man.

OK so I just did the math and my tie difference should be 43, it says 42.5.
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/22/13
Gators Driskel done for year.

If I can't do better than 8-2 or 7-3 each weekend I am going to have to spend time with Karen at the mall.

Let her make your picks then. grin
Gators Driskel done for year.

that's a shame....it didn't look that bad when it happened
Texas outfront 3-0. Dangit!

My 9 year old nephew came over with his mom. When he saw my picks on the table he said good for picking Clemson but asked me why on Earth I would take the Spartans over the Irish. He likes the ACC and guessing he thinks they're ACC fotball. He started to say something about BYU and the Redskins so I stuck a juice box in his face ASAP.

I'm watching Kentucky NASCAR and going to bed!!
friends just texted from game...it is straight down pouring....they are adjourning to the tailgate tent to watch it on the big screen and drink lots of whiskey

That is still the best thing about NASCAR, they don't mind if you bring your own bourbon or not.
Mercy rule about to kick in in Miami. 49-0 at halftime and the 2nd string has been in since the end of the 1st qtr.

Savannah State is REALLY bad.
in fact, as you know. One can carry in an entire cooler as long as it fits under your seat. We take dry wall mud buckets. They're the perfect size and you just throw it away after the race. I don't think I've ever bought a concession at a race.

Only other place I know like that is Wolftrap outdoor ampitheater in Northen Virginia. Man, I've had some good times there.
KSU just Stinks.!
I stick a plastic bottle filled with Ancient Ancient Age in my back pocket and bring a cooler full of ice. I discovered bourbon and lemonade at Charlotte because the line at the coke stand was too long. I love bourbon and lemonade. smile I also discovered bourbon and water at Charlotte, sitting in the rain for two hours.
At Bristol I saw a guy with a clear trash bag, the yard waste size, full of boxes of Bojangles chicken and biscuits. He didn't share.
Love bourbon and lemonade at the Skins games. Have to do mini-bottles there because they'll take the big stuff away from ya!

Only problem is freaking lemonade is $8 at FedEx because they make it the fancy way. So I started taking those pouches of crystal lite and adding it to $3 bottled water.

And yes, Texas is doing it to me again. I expect to get loved long time next by the state of Utah.

Thinking Miami's going to hit a 100.
Auburn gets on the board with a TD, but LSU comes back with another one.

28-7 midway third quarter
heh heh....that Les

fake field goal from the 15, holder ran for it and almost got the first, but not quite.

so Auburn can try to go 94 yards.
Just curious---why does LSU mark off the 5 yard lines? Just because it's always been that way?
Miami agreed to shorten the 4th qtr to 12 minutes for Savannah State and still won 77-7.

Not sure I even knew there was a real mercy rule.
What's the score of the tex/Kst game?
What's the score of the tex/Kst game?

24-7 UT
Miami agreed to shorten the 4th qtr to 12 minutes for Savannah State and still won 77-7.

in little leagure it was a ten run lead...I had no idea they really did it in college football
I've never seen it before. They said Louisville earlier today allowed the clock to run continuously in the 4th qtr against FIU, without game stoppages, so I guess it's up to the coaches and officials.

in little leagure it was a ten run lead...I had no idea they really did it in college football

There shouldn't be a need for one if there was some sort of sense involved in scheduling.
If the NCAA didn't suck so bad, it would ban inter-division play. There is no reason for Div 1 FCS to play Div 1 FBS, ever.
it's just embarrassing....these scores pushing 80 to zip bring no honor to either school, are no fun to watch, and are a waste of TV ad money since nobody's watching after the first quarter.

I believe that back when Georgia Tech squeaked by Cumberland 222-0 the game was shortened.
good players with potential get injured as well. I saw it with a couple of small low country schools where they play a powerhouse and half their team is wrecked by injuries. Can go the other way as well.
PERFECT! Utah game starting out just like Texas.

Utah over BYU 3-0.
Go Utes!!!!

GK
dangit Glen.

12-zip!
Posted By: FC363 Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/22/13
it's just embarrassing....these scores pushing 80 to zip bring no honor to either school, are no fun to watch, and are a waste of TV ad money since nobody's watching after the first quarter.

All they heard last year was how they (OSU) didn't beat these teams impressively enough. I hope they kill them all by double digits.

The rule only applies in college when your opponent is a little league team.
Damn Dee....now that's funny. Touche'!

Those funny bone ribs you had for supper worked.

Laffin....:-)
Posted By: NathanL Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/22/13
If the NCAA didn't suck so bad, it would ban inter-division play. There is no reason for Div 1 FCS to play Div 1 FBS, ever.

So that most universities that are not Division 1 could roll up their sports programs all together. I know last year LSU played a team and their AD said that the payout for the LSU game funded 80% of their athletic program for 2 years from that one game and was all athletics, not just football.
7-3,7-3,7-3

I am so average.
Welcome to my world Bob! cry

Congrats Glen. 10 &0. Darn nice pull pard.
I don't even know how to schit talk a guy who has gone 10-0 in any of the first few weeks.
Originally Posted by byc
Welcome to my world Bob! cry

Congrats Glen. 10 &0. Darn nice pull pard.

And the only one to do so. Good job.
Now, GFY.
Man shortmag laid the lumber to us this week! 10-0. That's getting it done in style. PM me your 5 games buddy and I'll get this thing teed up on tuesday.

I need some better recon this week lol.

Will
Posted By: Nail Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/22/13
Look...we all know AL is going to crush OM so there is no need for that game to be in this weeks picks.
Will - sent you my 5 picks.

I think BYU wanted to lose more than Utah wanted to win - crazy game.

Nail - Ole Miss/Alabama has to on this weeks pick list!

Glen
Posted By: Penguin Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/23/13
Good deal Shortmag, I've got them.

I'm still trying to figure out what sucks more: Pac-12 officiating or WVU's offense?

Tough call.

Will
Posted By: byc Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/23/13
Officiating in general sucks this year.

Looking at week 5 games I sense some tough upcoming Penguin picks.
Posted By: Big C Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/23/13
I'm still trying to figure out what sucks more: Pac-12 officiating or WVU's offense?

Will

What offense?? And I now officially hate BYU. First they trounce Texas, then get rolled by Utah. Cost me two games already...
Posted By: byc Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/23/13
Get used to it there Big C. I think Utah as a whole might just be the most despised picks on the board. cry

I would rank Texas schools second.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/23/13
Got to include North Carolina schools as well.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Beat the Penguin - Week #4 - 09/23/13
Originally Posted by Big C

Will

What offense?? And I now officially hate BYU. First they trounce Texas, then get rolled by Utah. Cost me two games already...

Really, does WVU have an offense?? Or do they just give the ball to the opponent on each series?
crazy
I SWEAR, PICK ANOTHER TEAM FROM UTAH AND THE DOG GETS IT..!

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire