Home
I miss the small triangle shaped vent windows that trucks used to have and the vent knob that actually let tons of fresh air in the floor vents.

Ammo
Petticoat Junction, Green Acres,....
I miss both of my grandfathers and grandmother very much. I wish my kids could know them like I do.
Penny candy!

Kids that actually worked!

Women who wore sundresses and deserved too!
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I miss the small triangle shaped vent windows that trucks used to have and the vent knob that actually let tons of fresh air in the floor vents.

Was just telling the ol'lady that I missed both of those. Have the wings on my old Ford still.

Another thing I miss is a true service station instead of a gas station/mini mart. Maybe because my old man owned one. But sure seemed like you actually knew people better back then. I used to be the kid that would check your tires and fluids while pumping your gas.

Self serve gas pumps were the beginning of the end in my mind.

Oh, and real barber shops. Still a few around, but not many.

Originally Posted by byc

Kids that actually worked.

Parents that actually expected something of their kids, instead of just being the Entertainment Directors on their Cruise Through Life....

Ex- wife expected nothing of her kids. Lo and behold, she wasn't disappointed, they lived up to expectations....
Buying bricks of .22 shells for under $15..
EXACTLY!!!!!
AMEN to the barber shop. I have been wanting to go to barber school for about 10 years.
Entertainment before movies - cartoons or short features instead of endless commercials.

Stewardesses. Pretty stewardesses. Sexy, young, well groomed, polite stewardesses serving you real food (okay, we can argue about that wink ) with real metal knives and forks for no extra charge.

People dressing up to fly.

Carrying my shotgun in a soft case up the stairs to the plane, having the stewardess put it in the coat closet and then hand it back to me as I got off the plane. At age 16, no less.

I miss burger joints without fuggin TV screen blaring all over the place....
Originally Posted by kecatt
I miss both of my grandfathers and grandmother very much. I wish my kids could know them like I do.

I just lost my last grand parent and it hurt so much. Not sure what I will do when I lose one or both of my parents. I almost hope I go first.
Gun shop owners who actually know their products, and are not trying to make a sale. They just answered the questions, and made suggestions and let the customers decide.

Real Ice Cream.

Bacon from the store that actually has meat in it, not just fat.
Originally Posted by eh76
Petticoat Junction, Green Acres,....

Good grief! I only threw up in my mouth. Had you hit the trifecta by including the Beverly Hillbillies, I would have spewn all over the keyboard!
The days before white arrows.
pheasants

A big [bleep] yes to both of those things. Add vehicles without stability control, real bumpers, and that's just a couple things on vehicles alone.

Ton of other things, but I lament the wingdows and vents repeatedly.
Gas for a quarter a gallon.
5 cent Cokes from the Coke machine that only served one brand, one type - Coca-Cola. Even if they were only 8 ounces.
I'm so old I remember getting fountain cokes, plain, chocolate, or cherry, for a nickel....

Crap...I should be dead by now....
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
5 cent Cokes from the Coke machine that only served one brand, one type - Coca-Cola. Even if they were only 8 ounces.

The one at the IH dealership where Dad was partsman also had 7-Up in it; you put in your nickel, pulled down the lever and took whichever one it gave you.
Riding dirt bikes with Dad. frown
The biggest concern when not using a condom with a chick was getting her knocked up.
Yep. 25 cents got you a meal. 20 cents for a Royal Castle burger and 5 cents for a birch beer served in a cold, frosty heavy glass mug.
Playing kick ball.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

The one at the IH dealership where Dad was partsman also had 7-Up in it; you put in your nickel, pulled down the lever and took whichever one it gave you.

Soft drink roulette! wink
Originally Posted by ingwe
I'm so old I remember getting fountain cokes, plain, chocolate, or cherry, for a nickel....

Crap...I should be dead by now....

Phosphates and Green Rivers
70's bush
Phosphates! You are older than me!!! laugh
Nosler Partitions for $16. Powder for the same price.
How about buying a gun without it being everybody's business and then having to wait for something you already paid for.

Bought my first .22 over the counter at age 13. And walked home with it.
How about putting the .22 on your handle bars and peddling to the edge of town to shoot gophers....unimpeded...
Cactus Cooler.
Driving to the ocean on Interstate 40 with light traffic all day long.

The Salvo campground,...fishing for croaker at night in the sound behind the cemetary and having them for breakfast the next morning.

My Maternal Grandfather.
He passed when I was 8. He was a member of the Greatest Generation who fought & survived D-Day on the beaches of Normandy.
I spent most of my free time with him as a small child.
And Always asking him about his WWII Metals & the pristine German Luger he brought back. He always said I wasn't old enough to hear about it. Wished he would have lived long enough to tell me his stories.

That & saving all my pennies & collecting coke bottles to buy .22 ammo for .69 cents a box at the local corner store that I road my Swynn Stingray Bike to everyday. I remember buying my first brick of .22 ammo for $7 Bucks !!!!
Myrtle Beach Pavilion
Disco.

Just kidding. I wanted to see if anyone was really paying attention. grin
[bleep] in the closet

that has been one of my biggest points of contempt with new trucks, so much so I am really thinking about restoring an early 70's ford as my daily driver.

I miss my memory.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Soft drink roulette! wink

RC Cola
Plains Game Safaris for $1995
That one special pin ball machine that you could play all day for a quarter and the sound it made for the free game.
The Twist
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

No kidding! my first one cost more than that, but it was because I kept shooting stuff!!! I remember a 1x1 daily rate of $150 and Trophy fee on kudu was $300, Eland was $600
High School football. I never felt more alive than when I was playing ball. Football's huge in Northeast Ohio and we were the toast of the town. Nothing beats being a pulling guard and just burying an defensive end to spring your buddy for a long run. Nothing sucks more hearing your linemate's leg snap right next to you. It happened twice and I'll never forget that sound.
Steelhead........ Your on a roll!!!!
Huntable numbers of quail and grouse. Both have declined to almost zero here.
The old neighborhood and hangin' out there. Seeing everybody, 100 kids running around playing street games:
Skelzies
Ringolevio
Father and son
Johnny on the pony
I declare war on
Stick, slap or punch ball
Asses up hand ball
Kick the can
Kite flying battles
Crack tops

Non-corporate pizza.
Good pastrami.
Sweet shops that served fountain drinks like egg creams, vanilla cokes, and cherry lime rickys.
Living at the beach for $650 a month.
Buying 6 or 7 high brass paper hull Winchester #6 for 5 or 6 cents each.

Just now- a freaking "cents" sign.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

No kidding! my first one cost more than that, but it was because I kept shooting stuff!!! I remember a 1x1 daily rate of $150 and Trophy fee on kudu was $300, Eland was $600

I remember that price because of some old Petersen's Hunting magazines.
Both of my brothers

Mike
Brownies
Originally Posted by Steelhead
70's bush

Sweet Jesus! I thank the good Lord every day for the modern razor.

I do miss professional wrestling PRE vince McMahon.

[bleep] in the closet

LOL
Open containers, anywhere.
Lets see flying,flying and more flying..BTW did I mention flying?
As a thirteen year old kid being able to walk through a subdivision to a friend's house while carrying a 12 ga. shotgun and wearing bandoleers of shells like a Mexican bandit, and not getting a second look.
In the late 70's my Dad bought a Bull Elk tag OVER THE COUNTER! here in New Mexico!
Open containers, anywhere.

Hear, Hear!!
4 x 3 = 12
Boy's Town
All male senate
Hydroplane racing was big in the seventies here, me and my buddies would make models from pieces of plywood and tow them behind our bikes on a string. smile extra added bonus was nails bent over on the bottoms to create sparks at night. wink
All male voters.
Pre-64 Winchester M 70 .375 H&H for $800
Laundromats where you could only wash whites.
Drive-in movie theatres. Man oh man, the things you could do in your vehicle.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

A big [bleep] yes to both of those things. Add vehicles without stability control, real bumpers, and that's just a couple things on vehicles alone.

Ton of other things, but I lament the wingdows and vents repeatedly.

Didn't know how lucky I am to drive my old truck with wing windows, vents & no AC crazy grandkids do like riding in it though smile
70's bush
NOT ME!
I prefer slick and wet like a pony's nose.
[bleep] in the closet

Now that I can agree on!
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I prefer slick and wet like a pony's nose.

All they need is a box of Thin Mints to complete the circle.
K&Ws with frosted mugs.
Being at my great aunt's Bienville street house in New Orleans and going around the corner with Dad to Canal and Carrollton to pick up a couple dozen Manuel's hot tamales. Ah, the greasy goodness!
Trucks without carpet. Who the hell thought carpet in a truck was a good idea? dipshit!

Miniskirts, who in the hell desisded miniskirts were out of style? again, dipshit!

Coke a glass bottle, who in the hell thought I didn't need money from returned bottles?

RANDY RHOADS, most musical and creative guitar player ever in metal music.

Metal that didnt have growling for vocals and blast beats.

Food that was safe to eat.

The wife doing things she no longer does.

hunting where ever you wanted cause nobody cared. and no posted signs.

fishing without 15 flippin bass tournaments going on at the same time.

a time when wasn't addicted to vaginal intercourse.

Originally Posted by eyeball
K&Ws with frosted mugs.

Loved to go there when we were kids! it was a rare treat for us. smile
Vanilla ice cream and root beer in those mugs, too.
I still drive a 73' pick up ....I don't miss it! I miss normal people..the ones that don't say "oh well thats how it is, etc" f== change today and tomorrow!
except for being 18 and buying 22lr, you can still have all those things, you just have to look a little harder and pay a little more.

This one gave me a good chuckle, since I had just got done talking to my Mom and she talked about how she bemoaned all the same things when she got to the forties and she remembers her Mom and Dad doing the same thing about her generation.
Guess it's a symptom of getting old.

And I had sex in a car at a drive-in last summer, thought is would be fun to relive youth a little bit. Stange but it wasn't that cool, which most of it never is. Hotel rooms are so much more comfortable and there is room service.
Originally Posted by mtcurman

Ben, $1 gas for the pickup when I was your age.

That was nice.

18 pack of Bud Light was $9.99.
4 x 3 = 12

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by mtcurman

Ben, $1 gas for the pickup when I was your age.

That was nice.

18 pack of Bud Light was $9.99.

Hell Sam, it was $1.85 when Bush left office. Try 27 cents when America was America. wink
Pack of smokes then were about the same as gas. 3 for a buck.

One could not afford NOT to smoke.
Being naive enough to think I'd be successful.
I miss not being available 24/7. The only way you could get me was if I was home when you called. Otherwise you just had to try later. Now everyone thinks you should be instantly available and gets pissed if you don't immediately respond to their call or text.

I make it a point to wait 24hrs before calling work back whenever they call me at home. If I'm not on the clock I aint answering work calls.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I miss not being available 24/7. The only way you could get me was if I was home when you called. Otherwise you just had to try later. Now everyone thinks you should be instantly available and gets pissed if you don't immediately respond to their call or text.

I make it a point to wait 24hrs before calling work back whenever they call me at home. If I'm not on the clock I aint answering work calls.

I feel the same way. So I turn it off frequently. Actually have a message saying my phone is off cuz I'm busy, be patient and I'll call back.
Marbles
Horny toads.
Mule deer in the mountains of New Mexico, those living in towns like Ruidoso not withstanding.
Frogs,
Rare to hear a bull frog when you used to hear hundreds.
Have not seen a leopard frog in several decades here in SW Idaho, when as a kid they were very common.
Where did all the jack rabbits go?
Marbles

Lost yours, have you? grin
That's cos they're all right here in my pond laying a gazillion eggs and having a gazillion little chirping Kermit's.

Come and get 'em or I'm gonna' start carting 'em off to restaurants.
Sage Grouse.

The big males we called "Bombers" cuz they took off and flew like a B-52.

Used to be a limit of 3-5 per day in Nevada and Wyoming and NW Colorado. Used to be you could work circles around a dirt tank out in the sage country and find many of 'em. Used to be you would see plenty just driving and had to avoid hitting them. But decades of drought has 'em on the endangered species list, or very close to it, I believe.

Back in the day......never thought I would see this day.
40 flush Ruffed Grouse days in Pa.

Same with 10 to 20 plus flush days on wild native born Pheasants.

The legs to hunt all day and the next, and the next, and the next and on and on.

The ability to eat and eat and eat and not gain weight.

Some family characters no longer here.

Some old friends still here who have lost the joy of just being out there and having fun and today have to weigh the +/- of everything.

Song birds or most any small bird in Pa. They are getting fewer and fewer.

Lightening bugs around here. Used to be amazed at the numbers on certain nights. Used to jog down one back road at night and they were everywhere almost lighting the way.

Honey bees.

The brains not to get rid of a Winchester M 70 .375 H&H Stainless Steel rifle.
a barber shop that you could walk into and sit down and read field and stream, get a proper high and tight flattop and not be asked if you want a shampoo. you could watch a football game on tv, listen to music you could at least tolerate and not have some old broad sitting in a friggen chair beside you with all kinds of sheeit in her hair trying to make her look good, which it doesn't. oh and not been made to feel like you had to tip the person who cut your hair. when the [bleep] did that sheeit start anyway?

and btw, i have had my hair cut almost exclusively by gay men and women for at least a decade. wtf happened to guys like Floyd?
black & white TV....
I found the Vietnam owned barbers to be the closest thing to days of old. They even use a straight razor and warm shaving cream for the clean up. Hot towels and a neck massage. All for 15 bucks.

They even sell Pinaud Clubman products and butch wax.
When the experience made an animal a trophy, not the inches of bone on it's head.

The simple days of childhood.

My Grandpa.
Walking right thru the middle of our little town with my Win. M37

.410 (open) without anyone saying a word.
Grandma and Grandpa didnt have running water, when I was a kid. You had to pump the water, by hand, from the well and there was a table just inside the back door that the water bucket set on. The dipper was hung on the wall beside the bucket. Best water, I ever tasted, came from there.
Me and the boys walking the country roads in the summertime collecting pop bottles to finance a camping excursion.

On a good day we'd come up with enough to finance a pack of shared Marlboros,...a package of cheap hots dogs,..some buns,..and a new frog gig from Kelly's grocery.

A camping excursion wasn't just camping back when we were kids.

It was freedom.

In the sparsely populated area of western Kentucky where I grew up it wasn't difficult to sequester yourself from the rest of the population.

We knew every abandoned gravel pit and froggin' pond within bicycle distance of our neighborhood.

Some of them had been dug out and all that remained was a very deep pond which held a quantity of Bluegill, bullfrogs, bullhead catfish and the occasional largemouth bass.

Some had just been cut into a hillside and provided a secluded 3 sided wall to pitch our tent in.

Our favorite had both.

It was a couple hundred yards off of a lightly populated country road and was blocked from view by a hilly rise.

The people who owned the land lived away and didn't really seem to care much about it one way or another. It was just scrub timber surrounding a piece of land too rocky for crops,..hence its former service as a gravel pit.

But to us it was a goldmine.

We could hike into it from the backside totally unobserved (not that anyone cared) and spend the day fishing and the evening giggin' frogs.

Some old WW2 vintage surplus canteens kept us supplied with drinking water. Kelly's grocery kept us in carefully rationed Marlboros,..and the pond provided us some good fish and frogleg dinners.

Our tent was an old musty olive drab piece of canvas that we rigged up in various ways and our sleeping gear usually consisted of some well worn handmade quilts that our mothers, grandmothers, and even our great grandmothers had painstakingly stitched together during the winters of many days gone by.

We couldn't have given you an accurate definition of "freedom" if you had asked,...we were just kids.

But we knew it,...and we felt it,..and it felt good.

Hell yes I miss *that*,...and when I think back on it I kick myself in the ass for not being able to appreciate it as much as it deserved.

It was perfection,...and I once had it,...and it's not coming back ever again.

,..but I had it once.

,..hell yes.

Have you ever seen the movie 'Stand by Me'? If not, you should. http://www.amazon.com/Stand-By-Me-S...9437&sr=8-1&keywords=stand+by+me

Funny how we spend youth wishing to grown up fast, and grown up years longing to be kids again....
12 and 15 covey day quail hunting.
Corner Candy Stores Hot Fireball gum and hard candy
Coke Floats at the drug store counter
Squirt n' milk in the cats face while milking
Corn cob fights
Old teepee shaped hay stacks in fields
The aroma of White Shoulders on the right ones
Mullet Jump n' in the creeks in an old Ba-toe with a Coleman lantern
12lbs bass
Cottontails everywhere
Catching a bushel of blue crabs with a chicken neck and piece of string anytime you wanted
$2.25 yearly hunting license $2.00 a day or $10.00 per yr. Ft. Stewart Hunting permit
cigarettes 2 cents a piece at the drug store
10 cent Krystal Hamburgers
25 cent bag of fries from Kentucky Fried Chicken
The Pit..swimming hole with no bottom
Cane Juice
Grain Alcohol and grape juice
Maurice William and the zodiacs
Stump-hole liquor
Playing sand lot & Little League Baseball
NO CELL PHONES!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by battue
40 flush Ruffed Grouse days in Pa.

Same with 10 to 20 plus flush days on wild native born Pheasants.

The legs to hunt all day and the next, and the next, and the next and on and on.

The ability to eat and eat and eat and not gain weight.

Some family characters no longer here.

Some old friends still here who have lost the joy of just being out there and having fun and today have to weigh the +/- of everything.

Song birds or most any small bird in Pa. They are getting fewer and fewer.

Lightening bugs around here. Used to be amazed at the numbers on certain nights. Used to jog down one back road at night and they were everywhere almost lighting the way.

Honey bees.

Oddly enough, nearly the same things! (not honeybees though) I'm from Erie, and sure do miss the grouse. Went back to hunt my old haunts last year. Barren!
Drive in theaters...

Parents spanking unruly kids in public...

The smell of a new ball mitt...

Getting lost in the woods with my 22 and bringing dinner home...
Being able to buy a single washer or nut out of the bin at the local hardware store and knowing the name of the man who owned it and worked it.
smaller pickups, that would actually fit in the garage smile
The annual harvest season when the threshing machine and steam engine traveled from farm to farm to thresh the owner's grain. I never remember hearing folks complain how hard the work was.

The women put out such amazing meals it was hard not to be sorry when everything was done and you had to wait another whole year for it to happen again. wink
The smells from my grandmother's kitchen.

White oil and coils of smoking hot steel on my grandfather's machine shop floor.

Sassafras tea.

Mixed nuts roasting on Planters turn tables.

An old airplane that continued to bring you home in one piece.

A house full of children

My beloved lab hunting partners of years gone by.

Hunting pheasants with my Dad...
buying 22LR by the round, not the box...
There's a drive-in theater within 1/2 hour of me. Wife and I enjoy going.
bastidge!

Is it the kind that you hang the speaker from the window or the kind that plays the sound through your radio?
Radio, though the old posts are there.

My maternal grandfather

Being able to dunk a basketball

.79 a gallon for gas

A Thriving American Economy

No Cell Phones

Trucks that look like trucks

My hair
Friday nights when everyone went to town. It was often really more a social get-together than a shopping excursion wink

Our local police chief had a neat punishment for those who got caught breaking the law. Instead of paying a fine you were required to sweep the sidewalks for two hours. It was embarrassing to have everyone in the country know you were caught breaking the law and were serving your punishment publicly for all to see, especially your friends who were "crusin" the streets. The vocal abuse from these folks could get pretty tiring to say the least. There weren't a lot of repeat offenders!! laugh
Rabbit and Quail hunting like it was in my teens
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Drive in theaters...

Parents spanking unruly kids in public...

The smell of a new ball mitt...

Getting lost in the woods with my 22 and bringing dinner home...

Showed many a picture at the drive-in for $5 a pop. Carbon arcs and timing and switching the machines by looking at the cue dots. Wind took her.

As a kid, I sat in front of the projection booth with my brother, huddled under a blanket watching Steve Reeves in Hercules. My bro told me Hercules was from Scobey and I called him a liar as I knew that was a tall tale too far. Today Steve is buried in Scobey, Mt next to his dad. And my lying bro is a preacher.

I miss my grandparents, nickel candy bars, trapping mink with my dad and believing in the immortality of the good ol USA.

Lotsa good stuff goin on now, but they just pulled down the drive-in screen in Williston to make way for petro-progress.
I miss TV shows like Bonanza, Ed Sullivan show and Father Knows Best

I miss kids that used to be respectful of adults and would say hi to you when they met you on the street.

I miss neighbours that would watch out for your house and belongings when you went away.

I miss land owners that would let you hunt on their land because they knew you would be respectful of their property.

I miss a quieter neighbourhood when not everyone just had to have loud mufflers on their vehicle so they could get heads to turn.

I miss the days before people thought they had the right to party all hours of the night because they didn't have to work the next day.

I miss 15 cent cokes and 10 cent chocolate bars.

I miss the days when driving to work was fairly relaxing and a opportunity to collect your thoughts before starting the work day.

I miss the days when good advertising was word of mouth and not endless TV commercials.

I miss not having to lock your doors or close your garage when you leave the house for a minute to run an errand.

I miss pumping gas without having to pay for it first.

I miss buying quality goods that were made in this country and not in China.

I miss working on vehicles that were easy to maintain using ordinary tools that most people had on hand.

I miss the days when fish and game were abundant and it was pretty well a given you wouldn't get skunked.

I miss the days when it was considered manly and cool to be able to hold your liquor.

I miss the days when having a lawyer for a business deal was optional.

Most of all I miss the common sense and trust that was widespread in the community where I lived.

Ohio Blue Tip Matches
Re:OP:

My Father and his engine rebuilding shop. My middle brother, fishing on Presque Isle, Pa, friends of youth and from high school, the "one" that got away, agility, quickness, running (the ability anyway), Visual acuity, building things, helping folks using my acquired skills, Being a really top shelf Alpine skier, My Mother, People that accepted one as they were rather than as perceived stereotypes stereotypes dictated, a scent if fresh blooming lilac, the smell of Birch tree seed pods crushed between one's fingers, The smell of an oncoming rainstorm, My daughters fresh, just born scent, a lot of people I could trust rather than the very few of present, learning from someone willing to teach, rather than someone out for the buck only, Police that really were there to help, Halloween trick or treaters that used imagination rather than store bought chinese bought crap, The sound of racing at Watkins Glen, my 1972 Honda Elsinore CR250M, My 1970 Cuda, My Grand parents on both sides.

So much more than this piddly list, but who other than me really gives a shiit?

Be safe and relish life's memories and what you have now (especially good parents) and try to teach others to recognize what they have rather than just what they want. May all your dreams become reality.

Patty
We used to sneak in the Drive Inns by getting in the trunk of the car.
The youth of my parents.

When 100 acres seemed HUGE.

Real county fairs.

A cooler in the back of truck, cruising back roads, listening to music that was music.

When $200 in my checking account made me rich!

......and when my waist was a smaller number than my inseam.
Raquel Welch.
closed businesses on sundays
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
......and when my waist was a smaller number than my inseam.

A long time ago I wore 26 waist, 36 leg jeans. Not any more.
It was early high school that last time my waist was smaller than my inseam. Of course I only have a 29" inseam.
Generally I go with "the only good thing about the good old days is that they are gone".

But I do increasingly miss the world where coppers could give miscreants a boot up the arse and set them on a straight path...with the approval of the parents and community.
Originally Posted by bea175
Rabbit and Quail hunting like it was in my teens

ME TOO.

Remember being able to ride a bicycle with a fishing rod strapped to the handle bars miles away from home and your parent didn't have to worry about you.

Camping with at least 10 other kids in the hood and not going to sleep till 3 or 4.

I hate that my boys will never know the freedom that I had as a kid.its a dang shame.
My waist to inseam ratio is now more like a John Deere tractor number...
Raquel Welch.

http://tv.yahoo.com/photos/emmys-stars-attend-pre-emmy-parties-slideshow/
Yeah,...there was this guy in out community who bought up a bunch of WW2 surplus and stored it in some sheds way back off the road.

By the time we came up, he had died and the sheds were in bad repair,.rooves caved in with trees growing up through them.

A lot of the stuff was rotten,...but if you dug through it you could come up with some serviceable tarps,..backpacks, and stuff.

We outfitted ourselves from that stock of abandoned WW2 surplus equipment.
The Pirates in a World Series. Pirates just lowered the number to 3 to make the playoffs. Go Bucs!!!!

For me Baseball has never lost its charm. Walking across town to the field, the feel and sound of solid contact, smothering a ground ball, stealing a base, the plays bring back memories both good and not so good. How it once hurt so bad to be a freshman, and cut one loose from third and watch it go over the first baseman's head and the next batter ripped one into right and a great season was over. It still does.

Yea on the field Baseball.
Running the streets on campout nights and going down to the BY Pond and sneaking up on the parkers doing the deed and shaking the car and running off when they jumped out all PO'd.

Especially the excitement of shaking the car of the local Bad Leroy Brown.
Dollar poker..numbers on the bills, pulling bottles from coke machine betting on the farthest.

Using up old swollen paper shotgun shells (got wet bird hunting) on rabbits at night. Riding the country roads and fields in freezing cold weather standing in the back of an old pickup shooting over the cab. Then next morning going into the quarters and selling them for a 25 cents each.

Fishing for big channel bass (reds..now days) on Hilton Head Beach right at the Port Royal Sound Inlet, back when you could drive the whole length of the beach in vehicles and there wasn't but one old motel on Hilton Head..and catching 30lbs channel bass.
The old newspaper store and putting as little as a penny on a number. Payoff was 300 to one at the time.

Parking. Back to parking. grin

making out. Real time making out that is. None of this pecking chit and texting x's and o's.
Ya gotta start someplace....
Old time pool halls. Every valley steel town had one, usually on a side street.

Old time bowling halls with hand set pins. Again every valley steel town had one.

Steel town we moved to had a population of around 4500 and 20 some bars in its heyday. Including an Italian club, Polish club, Serbian club. 5-10 dollars per year for membership and they didn't care what your nationality was, you just couldn't be on the board if you were not the right nationality.
I missed it for the most part, but when you went to the local trap club some of the old guys still showed up and shot in dress shirt and pants. For a big shoot or all clubs championship some wore a tie and one of those old time golfer hats.
The Republican party.
I miss the old bird and rabbit hunters of the old south. Sure, there are still some out there but not like they were in the 70s and 80s. I used to like to hear the old bird men argue about the best breeds of bird dog and fuss over the best shotguns. They were a special group from the greatest generation and I really do miss them.
Grandma cutting the heads off chickens and asking me if there really were people walking on the moon.

Playing in the chicken coop as a kid and watching the dust rays that were formed by sunlight that shined thru the slats.
Yea, Grandmother frying those skinny yellow free-range chickens in Cisco or lard after I popped them in the head with a 22, dipped and picked them. Talk about goooood.

Those 3/4 grown roosters can make you hurt yourself.

Col. Saunders sucks.
Naturally I don't remember any of it but:

Mother was the first in the family to go to college. Left the farm and paid for it on her own. Her first job in a one room school house when she came back to the farm.

[Linked Image]

Granddads side of the family on the old farm house steps. I was lucky enough to eventually get back 56 acres of the place.

[Linked Image]
Seeing rifles, and shotguns hanging on the gun rack thru the back glass of a pickup. At school, in town, or church didnt matter.

And better than that.... the doors unlocked, and nobody touched them.
Originally Posted by Mudslicks
Seeing rifles, and shotguns hanging on the gun rack thru the back glass of a pickup. At school, in town, or church didnt matter.

And better than that.... the doors unlocked, and nobody touched them.

Yeah, dat.
Being able to pick up a few pop bottles and get the deposit so I could buy a box of 22 rounds.

Running my trap line before and after school because fur was actually worth something.
Rotory dial telephones. Hate them pushbutton things.
My grandmother had a rotary dial till the day she died. I never could use one very good. I miss them now because the last time I used one she was alive and I was in her kitchen and I'm sure there was an amazing spread on the table. I miss her chicken&dumplings even more. Plus she was a ham, funny as $h1t.
Originally Posted by BangPop
Ammo

+1
As to the header - everything....
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Gun shop owners who actually know their products, and are not trying to make a sale. They just answered the questions, and made suggestions and let the customers decide.

In a BassPro store this weekend but could not find anyone who knew the first thing about hunting or firearms.
© 24hourcampfire