Home
Riley the Mighty Pheasant Dog passed unexpectedly today sometime between 0800 and 1200 under the oleander bush, beside the squirrel tree. He was 5-1/2 years old. Yesterday afternoon he was chasing those ETB's (Evil Tennis Balls) with his usual verve and abandon, and he ate his dinner with his usual scarfaliciousness.

This morning when I went out at 0800 to put some kibble in his bowl, he looked slow and sad... not Riley at all! I examined his belly, it was soft and nontender. His eyes were moist. Got out my stethoscope, his lungs and heart sounds were clear. I tucked him into a sunny spot on the lawn and petted him for a few, then he went to sleep. Went to the hospital to do rounds and see a couple patients. Came back at noon and he didn't come to my call. Kitty came out from under the oleander and meowed at me, so I went to look, and there he was.

It has been my indescribable privilege to be his friend since Oct. 29, 2009. We've hunted a lot of coverts, bottoms, and prairies together, and together we've contrived the deaths of hundreds of pheasants, grouse, partridge, and doves. He was the happiest hunter I ever hunted with. I will miss him immensely. I already do.

Luke and I buried him under the squirrel tree. Our allergies have been really bad today. Never knew I was allergic to dirt before.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He never did like having a camera pointed at him...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The dastardly ETB's...

[Linked Image]
You boys had a good run, sorry for the loss of your pup
Damn, just damn... five years old, damn...
Sorry for your loss Doc.
sorry to hear that Doc that age that sudden ,hard to accept,
looks like he loved you as much as you did him ,RIP.

condolences

norm
I really hate dirt allergies. I am so sorry you have to deal with it too. Wish I could have met Riley...
Doc. I think i would gladly let myself go if It meant my dog could kive forever. Prayers sent for you, your family and your buddy. I hope heaven never runs out of ETBs for him
Bummer Doc..

Sorry for your loss..
Dang...my allergies just kicked in.

I am so sorry to hear this, Doc. Everyone here loved that friend of yours.
Sorry Doc, some days suck.
Damned sorry to hear about your buddy Doc. Such a tough deal losing a beloved dog at such a young age.

RIP Riley
I lost Danny, my 9 year old German Shorthair,last year. I feel your pain
My condolences, Doc. I'll toast Riley this evening.

Ed
Good Dog Riley.
He went way too soon...

My condolences.

Do you suppose he might have been poisoned? Seemed sudden and unexplained by illness or age.
Dang he was way to young ! Could he have got into glycol ? Sorry to hear this !
btdt dOC and I am sorry for your loss.
Damn Doc�..
Very sorry for your loss. Riley sounds like one of those "one of a kind" dogs that a few of us are lucky enough to have known and loved.

Like Mickey Coleman, I am starting to dread these kinds of threads...
Condolences from here, Doc.
My heart breaks for you, Doc. Been through it too many times and still have 14 more times if the Lord leaves me here.
Mick, I can only say that the heartbreak of losing a one is a small price to pay for the wonder and joy of being a gun dog's man.

As Powerguy said in his first response to my OP, we did have a good run. It might've been shorter than I'd of liked, but I wouldn't trade those years and hunts for the world.
Originally Posted by mudhen
Very sorry for your loss. Riley sounds like one of those "one of a kind" dogs that a few of us are lucky enough to have known and loved.

Thanks, MH... I always dread these threads, too... but I try to read each one and respond/reply kindly, because when you're the guy who's lost the dog, you know nobody but another gundog man can know how you feel. So we support each other in these hard days, and rejoice in the tales of good days afield with our mutts.

Thank God for dogs. And today I especially thank God for Riley.
...and BTW thanks for kind words from all y'all who've posted. I'm sorry I can't respond personally to each kind response.
Damn. Looking at my big mutt right now and wondering how he managed to take over the couch. I dread the day.
Just way too young Doc, really sorry for your loss.
Sorry Doc, he looks like a great dog. Puts my old Springer to memory. Looks like you gave him a great life. RIP
I think it speaks well of a man's character that he can feel the loss of a pet the way I see exhibited on here.

Sorry that you lost your companion.
It had been 20 yrs since I had a dog, up until a year ago. I forgot what a privilege it is to have one in the family. They live to make you happy, and ask for so little in return. Sorry for your loss, I dread the day.
You know Doc, my GSP also doesn't like a camera focused on her. I so wanted her to be able to get to know Riley while going after quail in the prairie and desert this winter and I have been very sad to think of the fun I expected them to have together.

Riley was so calm, friendly and wanting to please you rather than himself as so many male hunting dogs are so want to do. I wonder if it was his genetic nature or if he just rather took after you.

I am sad for you Doc. I sure wanted to hunt more with him too. I know he was much more than just a hunting buddy to you.

May God be with you and comfort you over this till the lion lays down with the lamb, and you and Riley roam hill and dale again my friend.

Eye.
NOOOOOOOOO! We were just talking about him from pics in another thread. Thanks for always sharing those great pics. Riley will be remembered on the Fire.

For sure celebrate his life and your time together. No doubt in mind that he had the best a man could offer to another member of the family and truly man's best friend.

Godspeed and RIP Riley.
Just a "awe shidt" moment for me...I prefer dogs to people generally...hang in Doc

Charlie
Sorry about your dog, we just got a dog last thanksgiving, the owner died of cancer, he had to give the dog away before he died as the dog wouldn't eat because the owner was dying. They were taking the dog to the vet and putting a tub down her throat so they could get some food in her so she wouldn't die.
Hope you can remember the good times you had with your dog.

My deepest condolences Doc.....
RIP Riley!
Sorry to hear this Doc. It's been a tough day.
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Mick, I can only say that the heartbreak of losing a one is a small price to pay for the wonder and joy of being a gun dog's man.

As Powerguy said in his first response to my OP, we did have a good run. It might've been shorter than I'd of liked, but I wouldn't trade those years and hunts for the world.

Doc,
How well I understand. As much as it hurts to lose one of my babies I'll take any dog in that needs some love.

I'm sure you're familiar with the writings of Gene Hill. I have on of his books that has been autographed with a message to me. I seldom read it because I always cry.
After living with and hunting with my Brittany for 12 years, I can't read Gene Hills books on gun dogs either�..
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Damn. Looking at my big mutt right now and wondering how he managed to take over the couch. I dread the day.

Scott, they take over the couch because we wouldn't have it any other way. Mine took over a fairly new leather couch---and then chewed two holes in it. I just looked at it and hugged the dog. It's only money.
[Linked Image][/URL]

Love that pic of him the the ETB.

RIP Riley.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The dastardly ETB's...

[Linked Image]
Sorry for your loss, Doc. God made one mistake, bird dogs should out live us.
Godspeed, Riley.

....condolences, Doc.

GTC
That is a real shame, Doc. They same time heals all sadness. But when it comes to our pets, time stands still.

I just hate to open these threads, but can't help it.
I am so sorry Doc. I will tip one for both of you in a few minutes.
sorry to here this Doc, was looking forward to hunting with the two of you. vaya con dios Riley
Had to open this thread. As I feared, it was an ESS. Riley looks like a liver version of my Giblets. Both about the same age.

My sympathies for your loss and thanks for sharing your memories with us.
So sorry for your loss, Doc. As a Springer family, we especially relate to the sorrow you must feel.

We now share our home with our Greta girl, who we adopted when she was abandoned at the age of one year. She is now five, and a sweeter Springer you couldn't imagine. Of course each one is special, and it's clear that Riley was to you.

Paul
Originally Posted by mudhen

Thanks, MH... I always dread these threads, too... but I try to read each one and respond/reply kindly, because when you're the guy who's lost the dog, you know nobody but another gundog man can know how you feel. So we support each other in these hard days, and rejoice in the tales of good days afield with our mutts.

Thank God for dogs. And today I especially thank God for Riley.

Well said. I'm sorry for your loss. Prayers out.
So sorry about the loss of Riley. Our beloved pets have a way of burning a hole in our heart. Rest in peace, Riley.
Dang Doc. That really sucks. RIP Riley.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Godspeed, Riley.

....condolences, Doc.

GTC

Aye.... I'll raise a toast in his honor, post haste, and Catfish the bird bitch will join.

If ya have any advice, and feel like it, share how he might of fell so young.

Truly, condolences.
Damn. Doc, I'm sorry you lost a great friend. They have a special place in one's heart.
So sorry for your loss, Doc. It's good that Riley was able to show you how much you meant to him, too. That picture of him with the tennis ball says a lot.

Darned allergies.
Originally Posted by ingwe
After living with and hunting with my Brittany for 12 years, I can't read Gene Hills books on gun dogs either�..

That short story of his about the puppy lives by the stove really messes with my allergies somethin bad
It's really sad when a treasured pet dies, especially when it happens so suddenly and at a relatively young age.

Spaniels are such cheerful and eager little dogs. It's easy to see why he will be missed.
Doc;
I'm so sorry to read about this.

It's been that kinda year somehow in many ways Doc.

Anyway sir, you and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Dwayne

Short though it was, I doubt Riley could have had a better life with anyone else. Sorry to hear this.
I'm very sorry for you. How very sad. What do you think was the cause?
Doc, I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. Good dogs are a gift that we just don't get to enjoy long enough.
very sorry for your loss, Doc; way too young for a bird dog. Sounds like his buddy the cat misses him too.

RIP Riley
damn

just damn

sorry for your loss, Doc.
Never easy to go through something like this. Sorry for your loss, hope you decide to give a good home to another!
Hate to hear that. Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is and my deepest sympathy goes out to you. RIP bird dog.
Doc, 'tis sad news to lose a dog so young. My old dog child is nine and he and I are having a memorial sip tonight. I hate the time of loss but wouldn't miss the companionship of a good dog for anything in this world. Ward
sorry to hear it doc. A great pooch is a wonderful companion.
Sorry to hear.
Sorry to hear that Doc, I know its a tough deal and it never seems to be any easier. Good dogs are a wonderful thing, they seem to help make the worst day seem not so bad.
Condolences to you and yours.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I think it speaks well of a man's character that he can feel the loss of a pet the way I see exhibited on here.

Sorry that you lost your companion.

Nice post, B. And you're right of course.

Each one hurts and each one in a different way.

Now don't get me started on horses or I'll well up.
Thinking you both lucked out Doc, hard to say one more than the other. Hard to take it when they leave too soon.

Dan
Sorry to hear Doc, that young what a shame.
R.I.P. Riley
I am really sorry to hear about your best bud...prayers sent for Riley and you. frown
Damn Doc, sorry to hear this, you got my prayers for his safe passage.
Sorry to hear, they are truly man's best friend.

Mike
Seems odd--what do you think he died from?
RIP Riley
Hate it for ya Doc. Can't easily replace a good friend.

Geo
© 24hourcampfire