Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Condolences from here, Doc.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My heart breaks for you, Doc. Been through it too many times and still have 14 more times if the Lord leaves me here.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Mick, I can only say that the heartbreak of losing a one is a small price to pay for the wonder and joy of being a gun dog's man.

As Powerguy said in his first response to my OP, we did have a good run. It might've been shorter than I'd of liked, but I wouldn't trade those years and hunts for the world.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by mudhen
Very sorry for your loss. Riley sounds like one of those "one of a kind" dogs that a few of us are lucky enough to have known and loved.

Like Mickey Coleman, I am starting to dread these kinds of threads...

Thanks, MH... I always dread these threads, too... but I try to read each one and respond/reply kindly, because when you're the guy who's lost the dog, you know nobody but another gundog man can know how you feel. So we support each other in these hard days, and rejoice in the tales of good days afield with our mutts.

Thank God for dogs. And today I especially thank God for Riley.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
...and BTW thanks for kind words from all y'all who've posted. I'm sorry I can't respond personally to each kind response.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Damn. Looking at my big mutt right now and wondering how he managed to take over the couch. I dread the day.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just way too young Doc, really sorry for your loss.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry Doc, he looks like a great dog. Puts my old Springer to memory. Looks like you gave him a great life. RIP

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I think it speaks well of a man's character that he can feel the loss of a pet the way I see exhibited on here.

Sorry that you lost your companion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It had been 20 yrs since I had a dog, up until a year ago. I forgot what a privilege it is to have one in the family. They live to make you happy, and ask for so little in return. Sorry for your loss, I dread the day.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You know Doc, my GSP also doesn't like a camera focused on her. I so wanted her to be able to get to know Riley while going after quail in the prairie and desert this winter and I have been very sad to think of the fun I expected them to have together.

Riley was so calm, friendly and wanting to please you rather than himself as so many male hunting dogs are so want to do. I wonder if it was his genetic nature or if he just rather took after you.

I am sad for you Doc. I sure wanted to hunt more with him too. I know he was much more than just a hunting buddy to you.

May God be with you and comfort you over this till the lion lays down with the lamb, and you and Riley roam hill and dale again my friend.

Eye.

Last edited by eyeball; 11/17/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
NOOOOOOOOO! We were just talking about him from pics in another thread. Thanks for always sharing those great pics. Riley will be remembered on the Fire.

For sure celebrate his life and your time together. No doubt in mind that he had the best a man could offer to another member of the family and truly man's best friend.

Godspeed and RIP Riley.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just a "awe shidt" moment for me...I prefer dogs to people generally...hang in Doc

Charlie

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sorry about your dog, we just got a dog last thanksgiving, the owner died of cancer, he had to give the dog away before he died as the dog wouldn't eat because the owner was dying. They were taking the dog to the vet and putting a tub down her throat so they could get some food in her so she wouldn't die.
Hope you can remember the good times you had with your dog.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My deepest condolences Doc.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
RIP Riley!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear this Doc. It's been a tough day.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Mick, I can only say that the heartbreak of losing a one is a small price to pay for the wonder and joy of being a gun dog's man.

As Powerguy said in his first response to my OP, we did have a good run. It might've been shorter than I'd of liked, but I wouldn't trade those years and hunts for the world.

Doc,
How well I understand. As much as it hurts to lose one of my babies I'll take any dog in that needs some love.

I'm sure you're familiar with the writings of Gene Hill. I have on of his books that has been autographed with a message to me. I seldom read it because I always cry.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
After living with and hunting with my Brittany for 12 years, I can't read Gene Hills books on gun dogs either�..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Damn. Looking at my big mutt right now and wondering how he managed to take over the couch. I dread the day.

Scott, they take over the couch because we wouldn't have it any other way. Mine took over a fairly new leather couch---and then chewed two holes in it. I just looked at it and hugged the dog. It's only money.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (2500HD, 257 mag, 21, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,476
Posts18,508,622
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.