Home
Posted By: okok Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
I know that some anxiety is normal and necessary. I've been experiencing a lot more the last few months that is messing with my sleep and loss of appetite. Has anyone had any luck with meds for this? I'm thinking of making an appointment with my Doctor. Any input would be appreciated. PM if you don't want it on the board...thanks.
Posted By: isaac Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
It hasn't even been a week since the Super Bowl.

You were fired up for about 4 months before then. Just give it a week and you'll be back to a normal,everyday life.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Chit, dude, you won. What more do you have to be anxious about?
Posted By: passport Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Xanax in small doses works wonders.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
I find an hour or two of excercise, especially outdoors works wonders. Getting cooped up day after day in the winter time will lead to anxiety and insomnia IME.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
It's going to be a long off season for you. Maybe try some qualudes. lol
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Originally Posted by okok
I know that some anxiety is normal and necessary. I've been experiencing a lot more the last few months that is messing with my sleep and loss of appetite. Has anyone had any luck with meds for this? I'm thinking of making an appointment with my Doctor. Any input would be appreciated. PM if you don't want it on the board...thanks.

I would just caution that Doc's are quick to hand out meds when they may not be the solution.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Hey, happy birthday, AK! smile
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Sounds like you need to get laid. laugh
Posted By: eyeball Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Originally Posted by isaac

You were fired up for about 4 months before then. Just give it a week and you'll be back to a normal,everyday life.

That's probably what he's anxious about. smile
Posted By: jac3k Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Caffeine can cause that.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Sounds like you need to get laid. laugh

That's probably what he's anxious about. smile
Posted By: okok Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Originally Posted by isaac

LOL I think I've had it for years, but didn't realize what the heck it was.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Exercise.
Originally Posted by jac3k
Caffeine can cause that.

I switched to decaf about 6 mos ago because of it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Exercise.

And eat right.

And don't be a pussy.

I'd say okok is [bleep].

Travis
Posted By: rattler Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
as several others have suggested ild try exercize before pills.....quite frankly most the pills have side effects worse than anxiety if the anxiety isnt debilitating.....
In shape and eat right, not a pussy, but I am a Dik. smile
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
In shape and eat right, not a pussy, but I am a Dik-Hed. smile

Fixed. grin
Posted By: Powerguy Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14

Maybe the Rx should be to eat in shape pussy.
I'm starting to get an anxiety attack.... laugh

Actually I've never had an anxiety attack, thank God..just general anxiety.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
No coffee after 6pm, sex and a hot shower, you'll sleep like a rock.

Gunner
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
wouldn't have believed it but doc said get more exercise and my mood would improve. damn if he wasn't right. huge change.
Posted By: rmorgan736 Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
mary jane a little mixt with pipe tobacco.............or the 19 year old mary jane down the road works very well also.................
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Originally Posted by gunner500
No coffee after 6pm, sex(with an actual woman) and a hot shower, you'll sleep like a rock.

Gunner

Needs clarification for OkOk
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
In shape and eat right, not a pussy, but I am a Dik-Hed. smile

Fixed. grin

Ha, ha. TFF.

Not that I'm agreeing with him, ok OK, but it was funny.

Here's hoping you get the problem in hand, uh, I mean under control.
Posted By: deflave Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
In shape and eat right, not a pussy,

No you're not no you don't and yes you are.

Travis

then if your not wired on caffeine all the time or something like that, yeah it might be worth a conversation with your doc if its really bugging you......oh and BTW there is a difference between generally being in shape and actually working out to burn off energy ect.....know a couple of guys that are generally are in shape mainly cause of diet but dont do alot of hard exercise.....the suggestion of exercise wasnt cause loosing a few pounds would help with the anxiety but cause the exercise itself might cause it will release endorphins and such in the brain which reduces stress and the like....
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14

Ativan (Lorazepam)

One every now and then will take the edge off without making you feel all drugged.

It's a very subtle type of tranquilizer.

I take one before bedtime to keep me from waking up at 2:30 AM.
So how do you keep from peeing in bed? wink
Posted By: WildWest Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
I take Melatonin. It is a natural element we produce when we are younger and slowly don't produce as much. It is a sleep aid. I take one every night so I don't wake up at 3 Am.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
if the question is serious (and around here, ya just never know!), don't ask a bunch of jabronies on the internet, see a doctor. Really.
Originally Posted by WildWest
I take Melatonin. It is a natural element we produce when we are younger and slowly don't produce as much. It is a sleep aid. I take one every night so I don't wake up at 3 Am.

the doc gives me morphine so i can sleep through the night but my issues are a lil different crazy laugh
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/06/14
Originally Posted by eyeball
So how do you keep from peeing in bed? wink

lol,.... I pee before.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
This sounds like another Leslie episode. laugh
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by gunner500
No coffee after 6pm, sex(with an actual woman) and a hot shower, you'll sleep like a rock.

Gunner

Needs clarification for OkOk

HAHA, damnit Man. grin

Gunner
Posted By: colodog Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Visit your Doc.
Probably the most common thing people see a Dr. for.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
A couple cans of Red Bull and some bennies will take the edge off
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Originally Posted by deflave
In shape and eat right, not a pussy,

No you're not no you don't and yes you are.

Travis

lol
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I find an hour or two of excercise, especially outdoors works wonders. Getting cooped up day after day in the winter time will lead to anxiety and insomnia IME.

This is the first thing to try before you go the meds route. Get your heart rate up for a while each day with aerobic exercise. Works wonders.

Ed
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Anxiety is part neurochemical and part psychological. Could you describe the nature of the anxiety you're experiencing?

PS If you'd rather have this conversation more privately, feel free to PM your answer.
And jerking off doesn't count as aerobic exercise even if you do it outside
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14

So you are like this all the time?
Posted By: isaac Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Who fed you that nonsense?
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
But seriously when I was going through hell with me daughter I wasn't sleeping and was a ticking time bomb, doc gave me something called Lexapro, it damned near killed me the first week as he said it would, all I wanted do was sleep, but then I adjusted to it. It was crazy, no more pit in the stomach from worry, no anxiety, hardly anymore loss of temper. Hell I think I was a better person while I was on it.
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
about 10 miles on my bicycle really helps me sleep.
takes about 45 minutes.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14

I prescribe two weeks in Hawaii without the family.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Five fingers worth of FAMOUS GROUSE scotch and you won't care whether you schitt or go blind!!
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Originally Posted by heavywalker
This sounds like another Leslie episode. laugh

Ya Sven, I tink so.

whistle

GTC
Posted By: okok Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Melatonin doesn't do chit for me.
Isn't pot legal there? Smoke a big fattie eat some Doritos and fall asleep
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
You ever think of buying a new pillow? It might help.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

That would just make me paranoid. lol
Originally Posted by Barkoff

So you are like this all the time?

Pretty much.

That would just make me paranoid. lol

Doubt it would make you any more honest.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14

It does if the cops are chasing you! grin

Ed
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
if the question is serious (and around here, ya just never know!), don't ask a bunch of jabronies on the internet, see a doctor. Really.

+1
Posted By: anachronism Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Stress King here. You're getting some good advice, tangled up in the BS. Limit stimulants like caffeine. Oddly, if I drink two cups of coffee in the morning I'm fine. Three gives me the shakes pretty badly. So two it is. No caffeine after about 4:00 or so at all. The first goal I set was to sleep all night. A hot shower, tub bath whatever it takes to slow the world down a bit. I never believed much about herbal medicines until I discovered a few products that actually damn near knocked me out. Both are bath & shower gels. If you're interested in knowing which ones, send me a PM. These guys would never let me hear the end of some of the stupid names these products have. My thoughts here are that if you get back in a regular sleep cycle, everything else will follow back into a normal rhythm. Camomile based herbal teas actually work too. Who'd of ever thunk it?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
thought only women had this problem.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

It does if the cops are chasing you! grin

Ed

THAT is some SICK chit.

.....I love it !

laugh grin

GTC
Originally Posted by stxhunter
thought only women had this problem.

Making fun of "gender identity" in today's weird societal shark tank is not without risk.

Given your proclivity for mixing it up with sharks, I'd say you'll probably get away with it,....

.....this time eek
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Anxiety is a choice.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
yup, I don't worry about chit, I deal with it.
Posted By: rattler Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
not always......some times, though prolly a small part of total cases, there can be an organic cause, especially if its a constant feeling that never goes away.......and if thats the case its definitely time to talk to a doc....
Posted By: byc Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
pretty sure it's too much asparagus. Does your pee stink!?
Originally Posted by byc
pretty sure it's too much asparagus. Does your pee stink!?

I wish I could get some fresh asparagus, wont be for a few months. grilled with some sea salt and a splash of lemon....nectar of the Gods.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
I've got anxiety too for reasons I would rather not say,

I go to the gym and let my issues out there. Hit the bag or lift till you damn near puke.

For me that's stress relief like no other...get to check out high school chicks too. win/win.

I also set up overseas hunts every couple years. Gives me something to look forward to.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Anxiety is when your girl friend tell you she's late.
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

I go to the gym and let my issues out there. Hit the bag or lift till you damn near puke.

For me that's stress relief like no other...get to check out high school chicks too. win/win.

I also set up overseas hunts every couple years. Gives me something to look forward to.

Honest question. How much of the stuff that causes your anxiety could you walk away from?
Originally Posted by 700LH
Anxiety is when your girl friend tell you she's late.

Not # 1 around this place,

......more angst about bedding jobs that won't pop loose, fouling, and "Flyers" here, I'd venture
Posted By: Ramblin_Razorback Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
The exercise advice isn't just about being/getting in shape, although being in shape is beneficial.

The timing of the exercise each day can also have an effect. Working out in the afternoon/evening is optimal for a lot of people. Make sure you exercise early enough to completely wind down before bedtime. One thing that has worked for me when I've had trouble sleeping is to get enough physical activity that I'm physically exhausted so I'm starting to doze off a little before my usual bedtime and my body completely overrides my brain.

I sleep the worst when I'm mentally exhausted due to stress but not physically exhausted, and I think that is probably pretty common.

If the afternoon/evening workout helps you sleep but you are still anxious during the day, you might try working out twice a day - once in the morning or at lunch time in addition to the late afternoon/evening workout. I would max out the benefits of exercise before I would even think of turning to drugs. Psychiatric drugs don't have the same effects on everyone, but there are a lot of people who have bad side effects from them. When a listed known side effect of a drug is having suicidal thoughts when the patient didn't have them before or an increase in suicidal thoughts, that's not a good thing.
Exercise and mental health is all about maintaining good brain chemistry.

Men evolved throughout the ages doing strenuous work. Coup someone up in a cubicle every day and it's a wonder more people don't have anxiety.

We ain't built for that schit.
Posted By: Ramblin_Razorback Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
True, Ghost.

Also, I'll add that diet can have a significant effect on "mood." Someone looking to reduce his/her anxiety should do some research into how various foods affect mood (some for the better and some for the worse).
It helps me to remember that most anxiety comes from stresses that are, in fact, choices. For instance...

Work...I can quit.
Wife...I can leave.
Kids...Ditto.

I won't, but you know why? I CHOOSE not too.
Posted By: anachronism Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
I always wondered how some guys could just walk out. Especially when there were kids involved. Then, my wife went through a long, painful, eventually fatal illness. My Mom was diagnosed with alzheimers, and the slow progression was heart wrenching to watch so helplessly. They died less than a year apart. During that time, I came to understand how some guys can just walk. Sometimes it's all you can do.

But it is something I could never do. And I've paid for it.
Understood well, but it helps to remember that it is choice. You didn't have to be the best husband and son, it was something you wanted to do.
Posted By: safariman Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
PM sent,

My diseases caused all kinds of stuff new to me. Fortunately my God given beautiful wife works in metal health full time, and she helped me to see that just like putting a cast on a broken leg, there is NO shame in getting some help for a brain that has a bit of a chemical imbalance. Mine is caused by the poison in my blood from failing kidneys and a tumor on top of my pituitary gland, but that does not matter. The point is, in this day and age and country there is no reason to suffer. If a guy needs a little help, get the help and live on. And, live better.

Sent my phone number, call me if you care to.

MARK
Posted By: ironbender Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
It's going to be a long off season for you. Maybe try some qualudes. lol

With vodka.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Just what is this anxiety stuff and how do you know if you have it? Seventy nine years young and I thought I had heard of everything there is. Enlighten me, somebody.
Having worry about various things consume one's thoughts. And a person so afflicted cannot just "Snap out of it" or "get a grip" as some would say or suggest. It is often caused by low levels of Seratonin. Not much different, really, than being low in iron, or insulin or any number of body chemicals. Sometimes this is caused by your genes and DNA, sometimes diet or habits, and sometimes external things like my tumor and kidney disease - not like I don't have a little reason for anxiety with these things that are killing me off at a young age - but whatever the cause, it (anxiety) just like low iron or insulin is imminently treatable.
My Mental Health pro wife just reminded me that PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) from a horrifying event that was beyond ones control can also cause this.

I can remember only 4 years ago when I was not taking any prescription medicine at all, now that my Kidneys are so bad and my brain tumor has grown, I take 15-20 various pills a day. But ya know what? With these medications, my pain level, blood pressure and other issues are way down and my quality of life is pretty good all things considered. This is what I wish and hope for with our friend Okok.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
explaining something like anxiety would be like explaining a climax. You can speak volumes and not truly be understood, whereas once experienced, it is then grasped perfectly well.
Posted By: byc Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/07/14
Anxiety is not having a climax.
Originally Posted by safariman
PM sent,

My diseases caused all kinds of stuff new to me. Fortunately my God given beautiful wife works in metal health full time, and she helped me to see that just like putting a cast on a broken leg, there is NO shame in getting some help for a brain that has a bit of a chemical imbalance. Mine is caused by the poison in my blood from failing kidneys and a tumor on top of my pituitary gland, but that does not matter. The point is, in this day and age and country there is no reason to suffer. If a guy needs a little help, get the help and live on. And, live better.

Sent my phone number, call me if you care to.

MARK

PM sent Mark.
Posted By: okok Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/08/14
Thanks for all the responses and specially the PM'S....much appreciated Guy's!
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Anxiety anyone? - 02/08/14
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

Honest question. How much of the stuff that causes your anxiety could you walk away from?

None. I have a great job I actually look forward to going to. I have a very stress free life right now, but my past issues won't leave me.

Not looking for sympathy. It is what it is.

© 24hourcampfire