Home
One of the famous Isle Royale wolves, she had recently crossed the ice to the mainland.

Isabelle, the wolf from Isle Royale who was found dead on the mainland last month, was shot by a low-velocity pellet gun, National Park Service officials said Friday.

Her body was found on tribal lands of the Grand Portage Band of Chippewa. Because she wore a collar, tribal officials were able to track down the researchers on Isle Royale who have been studying wolves and moose on the island for decades.

Isabelle, a lone wolf, was in prime breeding condition. She left the island when a rare ice bridge formed in order to find a mate, said Rolf Peterson, one of the researchers from Michigan Technological University.

Phyllis Green, superintendent of Isle Royale National Park, said the wolf was probably shot by someone who was trying to scare her off, not kill her. The Grand Portage Band does not allow wolf hunting or killing, but does allow their members to protect their pets and property from wolves, she said.

An investigation found that the pellet entered between two ribs and hit an artery. Had it hit her half an inch in either direction, the wolf would have been fine, Green said.

smile

Awwww, poor doggy . . .

[Linked Image]
I was up in GP yesterday, the word was she wolf might have been chasing dogs, thus the pellet...but who really knows.
That's an ugly one.
A dead wolf is a good wolf
I was up in GP yesterday, the word was she wolf might have been chasing dogs

Likely never seen dogs before, perhaps presumed they were wolves or close enough. She might have been in heat I'd guess.
Well..........Bye.
A buddy of mine killed a coyote stone dead with a spring action 25cal last year. One pellet to the back of the head as it was phugging with his dogs and lights out.

BTW - That picture looks like a male.
birdwatcher, that would be dogs in grand portage, lots of them around, often the means to end for a wolf.
They now class dogs as being merely a subspecies of the grey wolf. I dunno if wolves can really tell the difference between dogs and wolves.

Certainly you can keep dogs and wolves in the same enclosure, the dogs already speak the language.

Birdwatcher
I know wolves eat the hell out of dogs.
Must've accidently stepped in front of some youngster who was carefully target practicing with his new Red Ryder! I hear that happens.
I don't see what the problem is, if they issued a collar tracking device to all shooters the shooters could be very diligent in making absolutely certain that the wrong animal was not shot.

Sounds reasonable to me.
That is a great shot. The shooter should be proud.
I know wolves eat the hell out of dogs.

I expect with your time in Alaska you know that the leading cause of death among wolves is other wolves, and that it ain't too unusual for the losers to get eaten afterwards.
Must've accidently stepped in front of some youngster who was carefully target practicing with his new Red Ryder

....or at least been up close as in right there.

IIRC it was Wyoming where a ranch lady shot a wolf right off their front porch. Turns out it was a female in heat in an area with as yet few wolves, and the ranchers owned a male rat terrier.

Birdwatcher

Originally Posted by bbassi

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

For the record, the posted photo was just a random dead wuff I grabbed off the net - not the actual one shot in the story. Just seemed like a visual was needed to "commemorate" the event. cool
One in a row. It's a start. smile
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by bbassi

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

For the record, the posted photo was just a random dead wuff I grabbed off the net - not the actual one shot in the story. Just seemed like a visual was needed to "commemorate" the event. cool

heres the pic of mine,just to get the mood right. laugh

[Linked Image]
another view

[Linked Image]
One down so many left to go!
A bud of mine lives in the Davis Mountains of West Texas and had trouble with javelina digging in his yard. He nailed one behind the ear with a Ruger 177 pellet gun. He said it made about 5 yards before rolling over.
Looks like the pellet hit the woof in the heart artery.

It's pretty evident wolves like to kill coyotes and other food chain competitors. Why one would contemplate they can distinguish a dog from a wolf is a real stretch concerning the smartest of canines. They apparently like the taste of dog.

I know my bird dog can tell the difference in a coyote and another dog by the way she chomps and shakes the ones which come after her and get shot on coyote hunts.
Those wolves sure do look like coyotes!
I found a study that was not real well publicized. By Bill Ripple, who is way to the wolfy left, big on "carnivore restoration." They concluded that in areas occupied by wolves, there's only a sixth the ungulates (cervidae: deer, elk MOOSE) that there are where no wolves are present.
Imagine that....
Look at the size of the Yellowstone elk decline, it washes well with Ripple's junk --
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Must've accidently stepped in front of some youngster who was carefully target practicing with his new Red Ryder

....or at least been up close as in right there.

IIRC it was Wyoming where a ranch lady shot a wolf right off their front porch. Turns out it was a female in heat in an area with as yet few wolves, and the ranchers owned a male rat terrier.

Birdwatcher

If I was that rat terrier, I'd be the talk of the town! smile
Common practice in Upper Michigan is to shoot the woof and then remove the collar and attach it to a stick large enough to float. Then they toss said stick into the river and let it float away from the carcass......just sayin.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I found a study that was not real well publicized. By Bill Ripple, who is way to the wolfy left, big on "carnivore restoration." They concluded that in areas occupied by wolves, there's only a sixth the ungulates (cervidae: deer, elk MOOSE) that there are where no wolves are present.
Imagine that....
Look at the size of the Yellowstone elk decline, it washes well with Ripple's junk --

How about a link to this article.
what a nice thing to wake up to this morning... another dead wolf.... Now I am going to try and go kill some fish with my son....
© 24hourcampfire