Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
This case is absurd, nothing more than a power struggle and the flag is caught in the middle. On the surface, its another case of a vet locking horns with an HOA over a flag but its actually an old guy who won't play by the rules he agreed to follow. It's not that he can't display a flag, it's the manner in which he displays it. On the other side, the flag is very small and not in the least obtrusive but the HOA WILL have its way.
While I detest the very idea of an HOA, I think they'll win this one.

[Linked Image]

Florida vet says 'Bring it on,' as he faces eviction over flower pot flag
Published June 27, 2014
FoxNews.com

A Florida veteran who is facing foreclosure for insisting on displaying a small American flag in a flower pot on his front stoop is telling his homeowner's association to "bring it on."

�The flag is worth fighting for,� 73-year-old Larry Murphree, of Jacksonville, told FoxNews.com Friday. �If they want to foreclose, bring it on. I�m getting calls from all over the county to stand up. That�s what I'm going to do.�

Murphree's homeowners association at Tides Condominium at Sweetwater began hitting him with fines of $100 a day last year for violating his homeowners association�s flag display rules. But instead of paying the fines, Murphree let them pile up - and kept his flag on display. Now he owes more than $8,000, and neither side will budge.

"It�s a small flag but it stands for a big thank you and it shows the love and respect I have for my country.�

- Larry Murphree

�I just kind of dug in my heels," he said. "It�s worth fighting for. It�s a small flag but it stands for a big thank you and it shows the love and respect I have for my country.�

On Wednesday, Murphree told Fox News Channel's Fox & Friends that his fight for the flag is with the board that runs the association.

�I would think if anybody on that board told me they served in the military, I�d have to ask them which side,� Murphree, who served six years as an Air Force air traffic controller during the Vietnam War, said on theshow.

The fight started in 2011 and landed in court a year later where the two sides reached a settlement in which Murphree agreed to display his flag in compliance with association rules. But two weeks later, the board changed the rules, saying flags could only be displayed on a pole outside the garage and that flower pots were only for flowers.

Murphree ignored the new rules and, in 2013, the fines started. He took the board to court again, this time to federal court where he claimed he had a right to fly his flag under the 2005 Freedom to Display the American Flag Act. But last March a judge dismissed the case on technical grounds. The judge said Murphree could also take his claimsto state court.

Now the board is claiming Murphree owes $8,000 and has attached a foreclosure lien for nonpayment. If the retiree doesn�t pay up the board could start a foreclosure action to take his home.

"I'm not going to back down," Murphree told FoxNews.com.

The board said in a statement Thursday that it �has not prohibited any owner from properly displaying an American flag.�

�The Tides agrees with Mr. Murphree about demonstrating patriotism by flying the American flag,� the statement said. �We have established rules that conform with U.S. code and Florida statutes regarding flag etiquette, and we encourage residents to fly American flags in accordance with the state and national standards.�

Michelle Haines, the board�s attorney, said under Florida law the homeowner's association can fine a condo owner $100 a day, but the maximum amount is $1,000. She said the board is foreclosing on Murphree for being delinquent on his monthly assessment.

Fox News' Karl de Vries contributed to this report
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
HOA's have been given WAY too much power. mad

If every family there that has a veteran in their family, or has served in the armed services would lay down some serious press about this, as well as stop sending in their HOA dues, I suspect they would revise the rules there, or grant him a variance.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
The only thing worse than a bunch of Yankees is a bunch of retired Yankees.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
What the hell is the world coming to?
Originally Posted by ingwe
What the hell is the world coming to?

We are witnessing the result daily now. frown
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
HOA officers are elected by the residents. Their power is granted by those who elect them. From what I gather, they've never told him that he can't display the flag. They've changed the rules to make him jump through their hoop but when he signed their agreement, he agreed to jump. The flag is just a pawn. If it wasn't that, he'd be butting heads with them over something else. The case should have never happened in the first place but we have a group of old people with nothing better to do who will win or else.
Posted By: lippygoathead Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
Why would anybody in their right mind live in a HOA to begin with?
Because they are retired Yankees from big cities that are accustomed to being told what to do.
Posted By: kend Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
My son bought a house in a new development in Hilliard Ohio a few years ago. All fencing could not be over 3' high. They wanted to create a more neighborly environment.
I've found the best way to have a neighborly environment is to not have any.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Agreed
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
Egos run amuck.

kwg
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
Problems with most HOA's is the don't follow Due Process. It's a dictatorship. In Idaho they are talking about reining in the HOA's. Too many of them use fines as a fund raiser when they aren't charging enough. It's ridiculous. Most have a power hungry A-Hole sending the letters.
Many HOA's have power hungry nut cases in charge simply because no one else wants the job. They're voted in by a bunch of people who'd rather not be involved and who could care less what's going on when they're not looking...which is most of the time.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Problems with most HOA's is the don't follow Due Process. It's a dictatorship. In Idaho they are talking about reining in the HOA's. Too many of them use fines as a fund raiser when they aren't charging enough. It's ridiculous. Most have a power hungry A-Hole sending the letters.

Exactly right.
HOAs amount to Private government with the legal power to deprive residents and homeowners of fundamental rights without due process.
And that power is given to them by the people under them. When you sign on to an HOA, you give them the power to control you.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
And that power is given to them by the people under them. When you sign on to an HOA, you give them the power to control you.

Makes 5 acres out of their jurisdiction pretty attractive to build on... wink
Posted By: night_owl Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
Yes, But...

Almost no one understands the power of HOAs and the rights to due process they are waiving when they buy property governed by an HOA.

People are familiar with signing a contracts or promissory notes. Unlike "membership" in an HOA, contract signers are shielded from unreasonable harm by potential legal and equitable defenses and counterclaims.
Posted By: pira114 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
The easy answer is don't live in an HOA. Easy for most anyway.

While I agree that he agreed to certain rules when he signed up, I don't think HOAs should have the power they do over displaying the Nation's flag. That one particular thing should be protected by law regardless of HOAs.

There are already regulations regarding how the flag is displayed. That should be enough
Posted By: slg888 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
I lived in S Florida working at HOA community's for many yrs dealing w/ those bagel eatin' nosy c*cksuckers. Take the flag & move outta the HOA would be my suggestion.
Originally Posted by slg888
I lived in S Florida working at HOA community's for many yrs dealing w/ those bagel eatin' nosy c*cksuckers. Take the flag & move outta the HOA would be my suggestion.

And sell the house to negroid self medicators. That make a living off of selling their craft. smile
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
Make section 8 housing out of it.
Posted By: poboy Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14
All "construction trash" - carpenters, electricians, painters etc. must be gone at 5pm. Just sayin'....
Originally Posted by poboy
All "construction trash" - carpenters, electricians, painters etc. must be gone at 5pm. Just sayin'....
Back in my roofing days, we were on a job in Sun Valley, ID, home of rich nut cases. It was in a high dollar neighborhood and a number of new houses were under construction. The residents, who already had finished houses, were trying to prevent construction before 10am and after 3pm so their chi wouldn't be disturbed.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14

This.

I have a hard time with folks that move into a place with rules and then don't want to follow them though. Like folks buying a house next to the tracks and then call City Hall to complain about the noise... I mean you didn't see the when you tripped over them on the tour of the house... DUH.
Posted By: Hi_Vel Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/28/14

this is very true. even worse than that is when their "power" goes too far.

an example:

i had a one acre lot in a nice subdivision. i submitted my plans to the design review committee, which caused an uproar.

covenants called for; 35 foot setback, 1700 square foot minimum on main floor, no t-one eleven siding, no t-lock shingles.

my setback as set forth in my plan was 90 feet, 2400 square feet on the main floor, brick and color-lok for siding, and 50 year class 4 rated shingles--it met, and exceeded--all of the requirements, yet they didn't want to "give me the green light."

i took it to an attorney. the attorney said, "submit your plans to the committee. they have two weeks to review them. if they are negative, go ahead and build. if they want to go to court--let them--they will automatically lose, as you meet--and exceed--all of the covenant requirements. in this situation they are wrongly acting as "taste police", and not as the intended "design review committee." if you want to really spice the pot, the covenants mention only "earth colors" are permitted. want to make the place sky blue colored? the mining museum has rocks in it that are earth colored, bright blue in fact. too bad for them--it isn't what they meant, but it's what they said..."

wife and i were so put off by the nonsense that we sold the lot--and good riddance. (what was their real the issue? they wanted a "cut-up roofline" with curb appeal, while i wanted a continuous running length in the hip roofline. there was nothing whatsoever in the covenants about prohibiting a specific roofline, or pitch).

HOA can have some benefits, but they often become a fairly heavy load for the folks trying to live there, especially when "power hungry" pilgrims serve on their boards.

i'll take a pass....

Posted By: smarquez Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
HOA's have been given WAY too much power. mad

If every family there that has a veteran in their family, or has served in the armed services would lay down some serious press about this, as well as stop sending in their HOA dues, I suspect they would revise the rules there, or grant him a variance.

He signed on. Didn't he read the rules? I wouldn't ever live in an HOA. I am all for him flying the flag but he's stuck with it.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14
They're not stopping him from flying it. They just say it has to be on a pole. His display is good looking and very unobtrusive. The difference is ludicrous, true, but that's their rule.

This is just a battle of wills. Originally, the rules said his display is ok but they changed it. He had agreed to abide by whatever their rules say. They're playing hardball by changing the rules, he's playing hardball by ignoring it. Both sides are wrong about how it's being handled.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

an example:

i had a one acre lot in a nice subdivision. i submitted my plans to the design review committee, which caused an uproar.

covenants called for; 35 foot setback, 1700 square foot minimum on main floor, no t-one eleven siding, no t-lock shingles.

my setback as set forth in my plan was 90 feet, 2400 square feet on the main floor, brick and color-lok for siding, and 50 year class 4 rated shingles--it met, and exceeded--all of the requirements, yet they didn't want to "give me the green light."

i took it to an attorney. the attorney said, "submit your plans to the committee. they have two weeks to review them. if they are negative, go ahead and build. if they want to go to court--let them--they will automatically lose, as you meet--and exceed--all of the covenant requirements. in this situation they are wrongly acting as "taste police", and not as the intended "design review committee." if you want to really spice the pot, the covenants mention only "earth colors" are permitted. want to make the place sky blue colored? the mining museum has rocks in it that are earth colored, bright blue in fact. too bad for them--it isn't what they meant, but it's what they said..."

wife and i were so put off by the nonsense that we sold the lot--and good riddance. (what was their real the issue? they wanted a "cut-up roofline" with curb appeal, while i wanted a continuous running length in the hip roofline. there was nothing whatsoever in the covenants about prohibiting a specific roofline, or pitch).

HOA can have some benefits, but they often become a fairly heavy load for the folks trying to live there, especially when "power hungry" pilgrims serve on their boards.

i'll take a pass....

In the City that I have to work for, we have a design committee in a historic district.

They would not allow a building remodel plans submitted. Not historical. While the owner had pics of the old building at some period in time. And other buildings in that district had the same features as the design had. To intentionally try to match existing.

He was told no go. He asked what needed to change. They told him just change the plans and resubmit. He asked for a meeting with them. Nope. He asked who they were so he could ask HOW to redesign. Nope.

Then he lost his cool. I'm building inspector so I have to enforce. I'm with him the whole way personally. I"d have gone to an attorney.

In the end the committee got a few things but the council overruled them on a few things.

Its ridiculous when you follow whats printed. And have proof. Even though he did initially ignore some of the rules, he did do his best in the end to abide by them. And its even worse when you have to appease a committee that often has personal feelings involved rather than just go by their rules. AND they won't meet or talk to you or your architect. Guess the dumb *(_&(_*& don't realize how much it costs to redraw every time....

Personally I'd have packed my stuff, and built a new building outside the city limits.

But thats why I live outside the city limits and would refuse to move in if required by my job( which I"m surprised its not- they require my boss too.. which was beyond stupid also)

Of course its no surprise to many that know me, that I feel govt is way to big as is. And they are amazed that I work for govt, but I was in a bind and its a long story and at least it barely helps pay our bills.

HOA can be beyond stupid. And even worse than .gov.

I remember the old days, when we were in one, Dad was president for years, and it was all about houses falling down, waist high weeds on vacant lots, fences falling over, houses not painted and such.
Things that sort of really mattered and boiled down to common sense anyway, and life safety of sorts.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14

You know EXACTLY the ones I know down there. My mom was in one of those for 30 some odd years. She died last year and I just received a letter that the house is being auctioned off. I wouldn't want the first thing to deal with those SOB's.

Just visiting I almost punched out 2 old bastards. Living there for a month and I know I'd be in jail.
That's the other thing, folks here always seem to assume that people 'sign' up for it, not 100% the case. Guessing some folks have never heard of inheritance.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14
Originally Posted by lippygoathead

I moved to a neighborhood with an HOA because I was running low on bullets for the neighbors dogs in Bandera County Texas. Hell, I musta killed sixty a year. Now I call the HOA and LEO, problem solved.
Before Dad died, my parents lived in a retirement mobile home park which is essentially an HOA. There were residents who spent most of their time just walking around the park looking for infractions, no matter how minor.
When Mom sold it, she wasn't allowed to post a for sale sign in the yard. She was limited to an almost invisible sign in a window.
That's the other thing, folks here always seem to assume that people 'sign' up for it, not 100% the case. Guessing some folks have never heard of inheritance.

For sale.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Originally Posted by lippygoathead

I moved to a neighborhood with an HOA because I was running low on bullets for the neighbors dogs in Bandera County Texas. Hell, I musta killed sixty a year. Now I call the HOA and LEO, problem solved.

azzhole.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14
Hate HOAs. I lived under one in the Fort Lauderdale area for four years in a relatively small community. Never again. Because one of the members had a psychotic fear of dogs (literally), they were constantly harassing me with made up crap. Claimed my back fence was flimsy, when it was solid as a rock. When they threatened me with fines for it, I had my sister (an attorney) write them a cease and desist letter on law firm letterhead. They stopped with that particular tact, and switched to petitioning that I get rid of my two dogs (a Doberman and a Pitbull). Finally, I moved.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14
Because they are retired Yankees from big cities that are accustomed to being told what to do.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty HOAs south of your imaginary Mason-Dixon Line. smile
Originally Posted by Akbob5

I'm pretty sure there are plenty HOAs south of your imaginary Mason-Dixon Line. smile
That's where Yankees retire to.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14
" IRVIN ...IRVIN .....CALL THE ASSOCIATION, THE NEIGHBORS WINDOW BLINDS ARE CROOKED"
" IRVIN ...IRVIN .....CALL THE ASSOCIATION, THE NEIGHBORS WINDOW BLINDS ARE CROOKED"
That's it.
Rost495, you let your grandkids get attacked by pitbulls and other 60lb plus dangerous breeds, me, I'll kill them.

Since you see fit fer name callin, Your mommas an azzhole!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14
hoa's are gay and so are the little dick commies that run em.
Don't live under one, simple.
Only thing I live under is the Flag, and Gods blue sky
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

That's where Yankees retire to.

When my F-I-L from MN used to winter in Punta Gorda, FL, he was known in his little retirement community as the one-eyed Yankee (Glaucoma) but I assure you, it was a term of endearment.
I understand reservations about HOA's but sometimes they are there for a reason and I'm happy about that. Sometimes they might suck, depending on what a person is trying to get away with.

I have "freedom" property too completely exempt from taxes under the flag and blue skies.

I have faith in God, but even after twenty years plus in the Military, I have nothing left for the flag.
Originally Posted by rost495

The only thing worse than an HOA are the Urban Renewal Districts! But I'll leave that for another thread.
Bob,

I came to the conclusion there is no hope, just enjoy the rest of your life, based on something recently. As I said above, I am tax exempt for various reasons, recently an entity sent me a bill for a "fee". They can change the verbiage and rules and you will never win.

The will be taxes, insurance, and fees, we are screwed!
Some HOA's have houses that are quite different from each other. Their purpose is to keep them neat, weeds removed, trash removed, repairs kept up, etc. Those aren't too bad. But when you see a bunch of houses or condos all essentially alike, all about the same color, with no cars in the driveways, the same kind of tree in each front yard,and stuff like that, you can be sure that the rules are far more rigid.

A few years ago, the town of Ketchum, ID (next door to Sun Valley) decided they needed to 'clean up'. The city is run like an HOA. They tried to pass a city ordinance requiring all vehicles, including RV's, boats, etc. be inside a closed garage. Many are now kept behind fences but that wasn't good enough. The corps of contractors loved the idea of building a few thousand garages but the people came out in force in open rebellion. It didn't go very far.
I moved my primary residence to be closer to grandkids, hospitals, and airport. I know there is mucho controversy over HOA's and I'm a person that everyone I know had odds on how long I could take it. Its worked out well. I've yet to kill a feral k-9, my pool is clean, and a few other benefits. Hell, I even have a garbage man and pizza delivery now.

I've pondered the situation because I bucked the odds and discovered, I'd rather live with an HOA than crappy neighbors.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14
No way I would or could live under an HOA. I'd kill somebody.

A fellow I used to work with bought a place in a gated "planned community" under an HOA mainly to please his wife who was raised in NYC and was afraid of all the "country people" that stopped by their place to visit.

Now, instead of the neighbors bringing by garden stuff in the summer and deer hams in the fall he gets to put up with the HOA Enforcer raising hell and issuing fines because the grass is an 1/8th of an inch too long or the wife's SUV is parked facing the wrong direction in the driveway.

And, as you might surmise, the HOA Enforcer is a transplanted Yankee from New Jersey.

I didn't say they were in Yankee land. All the damn Yankees waiting to die in HOA's in Florida.

For sale.

You do know that ain't the same as sold, right?
I've pondered the situation because I bucked the odds and discovered, I'd rather live with an HOA than crappy neighbors.
Many normal people have found that they're the 'crappy neighbors' in the eyes of an HOA.
I'd rather not have neighbors, pretty simple really. If a person is an [bleep], they are an [bleep], regardless of HOA or not.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/29/14
If you don't like HOA, you can move. The real bad 3 letters is EPA, that is where all the energy should be focused to eliminate the most worthless 3 letters...
Rock Chuck, all my neighbors know that I was in prison for over twenty years for robbery and sex crimes, I have no problem with them whatsoever. laugh

All kidding aside, I have a system that will make living in an HOA community decent, assure you never get robbed, little interaction with neighbors, and always get a good nights sleep.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Rock Chuck, all my neighbors know that I was in prison for over twenty years for robbery and sex crimes, I have no problem with them whatsoever. laugh
Don't tell them that or you'll have all the old ladies knocking on the door to see if you know any new tricks.
Only the ones with tattoos laugh
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
No way I would or could live under an HOA. I'd kill somebody.

A fellow I used to work with bought a place in a gated "planned community" under an HOA mainly to please his wife who was raised in NYC and was afraid of all the "country people" that stopped by their place to visit.

Now, instead of the neighbors bringing by garden stuff in the summer and deer hams in the fall he gets to put up with the HOA Enforcer raising hell and issuing fines because the grass is an 1/8th of an inch too long or the wife's SUV is parked facing the wrong direction in the driveway.

And, as you might surmise, the HOA Enforcer is a transplanted Yankee from New Jersey.

Little people that could never make the team and their never ending search for some kind of power and recognition is mind boggling to me. crazy

grade school hall monitor
high school band member
security guard
mall cop
hoa holder of the clipboard

all weak birds of a feather searching for glory. LMMFRNAOlaughlaugh
Oh, and these I-thingys are the greatest invention for folks like me, there ain't a kid on the street. Even when mommy and daddy force them to go to the pool, they sit in circles on their devices. I'm free to piss all in the pool. laugh
Posted By: Redneck Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/30/14
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Agreed
in spades...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/30/14

For sale.

You do know that ain't the same as sold, right?

Depends on how much you hate HOA. But yes I"m aware of time required to sell, and even the market, one might not want to take a loss... if so you only deal with what you have.

How about inheriting an old underground fuel storage tank? Or multiples. Can cost more to clean than property is worth.

When ya don't like things you move on at a cost. Unfortunately at times.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/30/14
sounds like Del Boca Vista
Posted By: rem141r Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/30/14
if you buy a place in a HOA community and don't understand the rules completely, and choose to ignore them, then its your own fault, no matter what the rules are. flag or no flag. if the rules change after you buy, that's another matter entirely. those generic, mass produced codger boxes down there make me cringe anyway.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/30/14
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

an example:

i'll take a pass....

In the City that I have to work for, we have a design committee in a historic district.

They would not allow a building remodel plans submitted. Not historical. While the owner had pics of the old building at some period in time. And other buildings in that district had the same features as the design had. To intentionally try to match existing.

He was told no go. He asked what needed to change. They told him just change the plans and resubmit. He asked for a meeting with them. Nope. He asked who they were so he could ask HOW to redesign. Nope.

Then he lost his cool. I'm building inspector so I have to enforce. I'm with him the whole way personally. I"d have gone to an attorney.

In the end the committee got a few things but the council overruled them on a few things.

Its ridiculous when you follow whats printed. And have proof. Even though he did initially ignore some of the rules, he did do his best in the end to abide by them. And its even worse when you have to appease a committee that often has personal feelings involved rather than just go by their rules. AND they won't meet or talk to you or your architect. Guess the dumb *(_&(_*& don't realize how much it costs to redraw every time....

Personally I'd have packed my stuff, and built a new building outside the city limits.

But thats why I live outside the city limits and would refuse to move in if required by my job( which I"m surprised its not- they require my boss too.. which was beyond stupid also)

Of course its no surprise to many that know me, that I feel govt is way to big as is. And they are amazed that I work for govt, but I was in a bind and its a long story and at least it barely helps pay our bills.

I remember the old days, when we were in one, Dad was president for years, and it was all about houses falling down, waist high weeds on vacant lots, fences falling over, houses not painted and such.
Things that sort of really mattered and boiled down to common sense anyway, and life safety of sorts.

I had to copy/paste your post and send it to my wife and daughter. A couple of weeks ago i got a letter from a city in which i have a house dating back to territoral days, it is in a historic preservation district. The letter stated if I filled out this form and submitted, i could get a 30to40 percent reduction in property tax. Sounds good doesn't it? But, i would have to agree to submit to a review board for any exterior modifications, repair work, yark work etc done on the house. That board is probably filled with retirees from california wanting to tell me what to do. That house dates back to pre arizona statehood. It ain't gonna happen. I this it was all triggered by someone seeing my daughter working in the front yard with a garden she put in, planting a few trees etc. And someone thinking how can she do that? It's easy, wait till they see the pigmy goats in a day or so for the fourth? Any complaint and I will complain about the horses pooping in the streets.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/30/14
I've got a WWII P-51 combat vet friend who has a nice camp located on Lake Yucatan near Newellton, La. As you walk in through his front door there's a drawing on his wall of a large box...with a little guy crawled up inside looking out and only half of the guy is visible. Underneath is captioned:

"PEOPLE ARE NO DAMN GOOD!"
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/30/14
Some people think it's neat owning a building on the National Register of Historical Building. Wait until it's time time to repair it. They will control everything you do. I know of one such house here. When they painted it, the feds specified the type of paint and even how it was applied (brush only).
A few years ago, they built a new highway by it. They wanted to move the house about 100' back which would have been a better place for it anyway. Nope. They ended up having to reroute the highway around it.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Hard head vs HOA - 06/30/14
Counting the days until we move out of our house which has an HOA to one that doesn't. They were tolerable the first 14 years, but the last 3 they've been friggin nazis.

Yeah yeah, I know we agreed to the rules going in, shame on us.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hard head vs HOA - 07/01/14
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Counting the days until we move out of our house which has an HOA to one that doesn't. They were tolerable the first 14 years, but the last 3 they've been friggin nazis.

Yeah yeah, I know we agreed to the rules going in, shame on us.

OR, like the rest of us, shame on us, for letting the rules makers become stupid... We are all in that boat, some boats are bigger than otehrs.

I'm a building inspector... Folks get fed up with life safety and with non life safety rules. I finally tell some, thats why I refuse to live in a city...I'd tell me to go....
© 24hourcampfire