Home
ATV is carbureted, we're hunting 8,500-9,000 feet. Will I have to re-jet for the altitude? My hometown is 400 feet elevation. Honda dealer in Denver said re-jet main 5% leaner, stock pilot, & 1/4 turn on the air-fuel screw. What do u say?
Yes

I live at 4,000 feet in the valley and have to lean mine out considerably when I take them over about 7,000 feet. They are Polaris 500 Sportsman HOs.
Originally Posted by robinhedd
What do u say?

I say leave the sumbish at home......
Originally Posted by huntsman22
What do u say?

laugh

Funny, but I agree!
What do u say?

What is your reasoning behind this statement?
Reasoning? There are already too many lazy azzes using them improperly. If a feller ain't in good enuff shape to hunt on foot or horseback, he should take up chess.....
I did not say it, but I could have.

My reasoning would be from my experiences a bit further west:

1: Any place you can get with an ATV, there will be 5000 rednecks there ahead of you. (many of them drinking, driving, and carrying guns)

2: In my area of operations, it is completely illegal to hunt from an ATV.

3: There are no ATV trails where game is. If there was game near an ATV trail, it would have long ago been exterminated.

4: ATVs intruding upon our traditional hunting areas in unlawful manners just pisses off us old hunters to no end. They can not get off the trail, and there is not enough room on the trail for our horses to pass them in a safe manner.

Yes, I own a Suzuki Vinson 500 4X4. I dearly love to ride it in the mountains on open ATV trails and logging roads. But I do not take it during hunting season.
Yep. I agree with leaving it at home. You coming to hunt elk or ride?

What do u say?

+100
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

1: Any place you can get with an ATV, there will be 5000 rednecks there ahead of you. (many of them drinking, driving, and carrying guns)

3: There are no ATV trails where game is. If there was game near an ATV trail, it would have long ago been exterminated.

4: ATVs intruding upon our traditional hunting areas in unlawful manners just pisses off us old hunters to no end. They can not get off the trail, and there is not enough room on the trail for our horses to pass them in a safe manner.

Yes, I own a Suzuki Vinson 500 4X4. I dearly love to ride it in the mountains on open ATV trails and logging roads. But I do not take it during hunting season.

I am taking the ATV to retrieve my elk after I kill one. I bet something pretty that I'm in a hell of a lot better shape than any of u that responded negatively.
Furthermore: We are hunting private land & BLM land where ATV's are perfectly legal in the state of Colorado. Thx, RH
In Colorado you must keep your ATV on the trail and cannot take it "off road" so what's the advantage?
Travel light and drive your truck from camp to the trail head and hike in.
Another vote for leave it at home!
I agree leave the ATV at at home. And just how in shape do you have to be to ride a horse???????????
I would make my adjustments after riding it for a mile or two when you get to the altitude you will be hunting . Free county take the four wheeler if it please you . If i'm not mistaken i believe you have to register it with the Fish&Game before you use it in Colorado
I am taking the ATV to retrieve my elk after I kill one.
Furthermore: We are hunting private land & BLM land

You can pretty much do what you want with one on private land. BLM is another story. You have to stay ON trails marked for motorized vehicles. No taking it off-trail to the kill site.That means (legally) you still have to hump your critter back to the trail. And, I have no reason to believe YOU would be any different than any other guy that's never killed an elk before. Once a feller gets one down, and sees just how much bigger one is, compared to the jackrabbit-sized whitetails from home, few can resist the temptation to say fugg it, the $50 dollar fine for taking one offtrail, beats the chit outta having to work up a sweat........
Par for the course. A guy asks a question, gets several answers, the overwhelming majority of which are not what he expected or wanted to hear. He then gets ticked off, and does what he intended to do in the first place. You can't save people from their own chitty attitudes and expectations.

I bet something pretty that I'm in a hell of a lot better shape than any of u that responded negatively.

Not one person has responded negatively. Sure, some of us said stuff YOU didn't want to hear. But the experience of actually HUNTING elk without one is what MOST consider a positive.....hint
250 ASL here. Ran reg carb'd motors around 8-10 K They sucked. To the point that one got us down a trail but not up and almost burned it up trying to get up...I"d have it adjusted for dang sure. I'd never go without adjusted again and if we had kept it up instead of finding we love Alaska every fall even more, I'd have had two carbs.. and just swapped em out.

As to use, we used them to camp in a center spot, then take the ATV to the trailheads of wilderness, and hunt out for a few days at a time. Then back to the ATV, camp, resupply, and either go back, or head to different wilderness border area.

Just hearing the things aggravates me personally. But from experience with other animals, if you just get away from the trails and no SOB runs off in the woods with one, the animals don't much pay attention to the noise, long as its half a mile or more away generally.

I'm not sure how folks think they would hunt with them, like driving roads and such and getting game, but for getting to ends of trails, they work wonders. We'd driven in miles further than folks can with trucks and horse trailers etc....
Originally Posted by LostHighway
I agree leave the ATV at at home. And just how in shape do you have to be to ride a horse???????????

I don't know, but I do know that I did 20 miles on a horse in Montana one day (hadn't been on a horse for at least 10 years prior) and the next day I felt as if I had been beaten with a 2x4

I hafta laugh at the flatlanders that dream of shooting an elk and then just running out in ole ATV and picking it up.

Be prepared to WORK just to get into a position where you MIGHT shoot an elk. In 20+ years of hunting, I've only once shot an elk within sight of a legal FS or BLM road.

And I don't know many landowners that are willing to let someone run an atv or truck anywhere they want on their land because the tracks will still be there a year later...
I hunt Colorado public land.......can't stand ATV's
I love you, man......
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't know, but I do know that I did 20 miles on a horse in Montana one day (hadn't been on a horse for at least 10 years prior) and the next day I felt as if I had been beaten with a 2x4

Was you fresh as a daisy after 20 miles on the quad?
Reasoning? There are already too many lazy azzes using them improperly. If a feller ain't in good enuff shape to hunt on foot or horseback, he should take up chess.....

Here we go...
Originally Posted by LostHighway

You do have to be in "riding" shape to ride a horse or you will be one sore son of a bitch at the end of the day
Another fact of the matter is that when elk hear an ATV enter the canyon, you MIGHT be able to see the herd as they top out over rim, not stopping 'til the 3rd canyon beyond where they were spooked by it... wink
Everyone's hunting situation is different. Three of us hunt in Colorado every fall and we take three ATV's. We ride them on the main gravel roads and on designated ATV trails to where ever we want to drop off and hunt. It's not reasonable to drive my pickup and camper even if we all hunted the same canyon every day which we don't. I've seen men in their 80's on ATV's that otherwise probably wouldn't be in the woods and I applaud them. I suggest that some of you guy's rethink your comments.
This is what ya need

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/pn_5dMHsCPE?[/video]
I applaud anyone, regardless of age, that uses them responsibly, courteously and legally.....but those guys are few, and far between......
ATV's are fine to get where the hunt starts.

Good for packin' the animals down after you get 'em back to the trail.

But, by and large slob hunters are responsible for the reputation they earned for not doing things the right way, and ruining the hunt that other folks have waited for too.

ATV's have a use. But, in lots of cases, the best use of it, is to leave it parked at home. wink
Pretty sure the OP isn't 80.

Obviously you've never had the joy of getting up at 4:00 am, hiking a mile or more to an early morning spot on a rim before dawn and then at first light, some [bleep] from out of state rolls up on the other side on his noisy ATV, oblivious to the fact that he just pushed all the elk out of the drainage.

I have.
...and all because he asked about rejetting for altitude.
I applaud anyone, regardless of age, that uses them responsibly, courteously and legally.....but those guys are few, and far between......

That pretty much sums it up and why the reaction to the post went south.
There IS one sure way to not have to re-jet it. I think I mentioned how, in my first post......
Originally Posted by kend
Everyone's hunting situation is different. Three of us hunt in Colorado every fall and we take three ATV's. We ride them on the main gravel roads and on designated ATV trails to where ever we want to drop off and hunt. It's not reasonable to drive my pickup and camper even if we all hunted the same canyon every day which we don't. I've seen men in their 80's on ATV's that otherwise probably wouldn't be in the woods and I applaud them. I suggest that some of you guy's rethink your comments.

This...

The horse and pack in crowd will get old and crippled someday. I hope they remember their intolerance for those who are now.

I hunt with a good friend from Helena who has had 11 back surgeries, just to keep him walking now. He was strong as an ox and tough as nails before his back injury.

We use 2 ATVs to hunt in more limited ways than the horsey riders. Without the ATV, my friend would be shut out of the sport he has loved for 50 of his 58 years, and he can't ride a horse. We don't go off trail or roads, but we use the machines to whatever advantage we can to gain elevation. One gets parked where we plan to come out at the bottom, and one takes us as high as roads or trails allow, then we ease down the mountain and hunt it out as much as possible. I used mine on my antelope hunt last year. I stopped at the end of an ATV trail where no truck would make it, then I walked 5 miles on out to the antelope spot, shot one, dressed it out to pack, and carried it 5 miles back. It was darned hard to do with a previously broken back, and I couldn't do it again anymore.

So, bristle and bellyache all you want about ATVs. I sure join you when I see them off roads and trails, but they have their place.

All you younger mountain men will eventually get to a point where a little help is necessary...or just choose to give it up.

Maybe you should read this again. If you're still pissed off, then you know which group you are in.

My sincere apology. I had figured you all wrong. blush

L2S
clap, clap.......(that's applause)

L2s, you seem to do it up right.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I am taking the ATV to retrieve my elk after I kill one. I bet something pretty that I'm in a hell of a lot better shape than any of u that responded negatively.
Furthermore: We are hunting private land & BLM land where ATV's are perfectly legal in the state of Colorado. Thx, RH

Not in this state.

That's what pack frames are for.
I got roped into doing an ATV based hunt ONCE. We rode a dozen or so miles in and set up camp and I burned boot leather from there. I was amazed at how many ATV's followed me into the backcountry off trail. The whole place sounded like the superbowl of motocross. I'd sooner take up golf than dick with a motor again. It's been boots and horses ever since.
I sold my ATV when I figgered out it wouldn't take me any place my truck wouldn't go.

I gotta add ...

I never used it for "hunting". It was only to get from "A" to "B" where I started hunting.
Le sigh....

Sometimes it's embarrassing living in Alabama.
This is the easiest way to handle the jetting.

Dial-A-Jet
Originally Posted by fish head
I sold my ATV when I figgered out it wouldn't take me any place my truck wouldn't go.

I gotta add ...

I never used it for "hunting". It was only to get from "A" to "B" where I started hunting.

And that heater and windshield are pretty nice on that trip.
Originally Posted by bloodworks
The whole place sounded like the superbowl of motocross.

ATV's are a great tool when used properly. Where I go, there is a whole buncha folks bring theirs. Sadly, it's nothing but the younger guys from sea-level that cause all the problems. They generally come up to CO in large groups, and usually days early to the start of their season, to go 'scouting', of course. They run them bastids full-throttle to-and-fro around the hills on the scout trip. . By season start, any elk in the area are long gone or holed up in the timber. Then they bitch about lack of game and get bored by the lack of action by the second day. So, it just turns into non-stop quad races to occupy their boredom till the season ends. These same guys have never been around horses, llamas or pack goats and are the cause of many unneccasary rodeos and wrecks. When meeting a packstring on the trail, they're too fugging rude to pull over, shut the fugger off, and talk in a calm, conversational tone to reassure the stock that they are people, and not a threat or grizzle-dy bear, until they are past. It gets even worse if they come onto you from behind....... Boy, do I have some stories...
Everybody on an ATV expects to get way back and beyond to get the good stuff.

The problem with that line of thinking is you've passed by a schitload of honey holes to get there.

That's all I have to say about that. smile
Colorado does allow you to drive 100 yards off trail to retrieve game.

I took my unjetted Kawasaki 650 up there in '09 to around 7000 feet and was thankful for every cc. It felt like I was driving a 500.

Last I checked they don't close public land to other forums of recreation during hunting seasons. I say, as long as you follow the rules, run them trails to your harts content. If the locals don't like it they can hunt somewhere else. They don't have to pay the ridiculously inflated nonresident tag prices.
No. I'm not done yet. smile

The best spot is rarely at the end of the road.

TIFWIW.
Originally Posted by bloodworks
The whole place sounded like the superbowl of motocross.

ATV's are a great tool when used properly. Where I go, there is a whole buncha folks bring theirs. Sadly, it's nothing but the younger guys from sea-level that cause all the problems. They generally come up to CO in large groups, and usually days early to the start of their season, to go 'scouting', of course. They run them bastids full-throttle to-and-fro around the hills on the scout trip. . By season start, any elk in the area are long gone or holed up in the timber. Then they bitch about lack of game and get bored by the lack of action by the second day. So, it just turns into non-stop quad races to occupy their boredom till the season ends. These same guys have never been around horses, llamas or pack goats and are the cause of many unneccasary rodeos and wrecks. When meeting a packstring on the trail, they're too fugging rude to pull over, shut the fugger off, and talk in a calm, conversational tone to reassure the stock that they are people, and not a threat or grizzle-dy bear, until they are past. It gets even worse if they come onto you from behind....... Boy, do I have some stories...

What we seem to get are the guys from our big city to the south who get one tag in the party and bring along 6-8 buddies and rolling hotels, followed by the trailers full of ATVs/UTVs. The buddies are continuously "scouting".
Originally Posted by justin10mm
C If the locals don't like it they can hunt somewhere else. They don't have to pay the ridiculously inflated nonresident tag prices.

You the prick that won't pull over and shut it off? Is it because you feel you've been ridiculously 'inflated' from behind?

Maybe YOU should hunt 'somewhere else' where you can afford it......
C If the locals don't like it they can hunt somewhere else. They don't have to pay the ridiculously inflated nonresident tag prices.

You the prick that won't pull over and shut it off? Is it because you feel you've been ridiculously 'inflated' from behind?

Maybe YOU should hunt 'somewhere else' where you can afford it......

Whoa.

Read my grumpy old man thread. smile
Sheesh, tough crowd. They're a tool like anything else, you can use them for some things, not for others. Know the travel rules for where you are hunting, odds are the BLM, USFS, whatever, has a pretty explicit travel map that spells out where you can do what. Follow the rules and be respectful of other hunters and you'll be ahead of all the folks who've made a bad name for quads. Odds are darn slim you'll spot any elk sitting on an atv anyway, they're best used to get you places to start hiking. And if you take them places you shouldn't, guys like me will happily report you. I know of one fella who had to haul his ATV back out of one canyon in pieces. Nothing malicious, he just got caught in a spot it was illegal to have a motor in there. Stories like that warm my heart.

Jetting, no idea, the newer the better rigs seem to handle altitude changes.

Don't forget to give the State its tithe. There is a temp out-of-state atv tag that you should buy with your hunting license...even if your atv is street legal at home and you have steel license plates on it. It'll save you a ticket.

Also, you must have your rifle cased and completely unloaded when on the atv. Or even touching the atv...don't finish out your hike and lean your rifle with loaded magazine against your atv rack, that will also earn you a fine by the good people at the state.

I hunt with mine, not off mine, and logistics dictate they can't be used everywhere. Just like a truck or bicycle, they can be handy or worthless, depending on where you want to go. Not every trail that is open to motorized traffic is a trail you can get a truck or jeep down.

And do be careful and make sure everything works on your rig. Those mushy breaks or burnt out headlight that aren't a big deal back home on the ranch become a big deal quick on the wrong trail. There are some gnarly trails that are open to motorized traffic. Heavy loads to the front when you're going up...to the back when you're going down. And know what you're doing if you're loading or offloading your atv at night or in the snow, or both. People doing it wrong get killed or crippled every year out here in the square states.

well stated SD.....

you said " logistics dictate they can't be used everywhere", and I'll add my 2 cents. "Statistics dictate those that use them are mostly not the guys that are in the '10 percent of the hunters that kill 99 percent of the elk'."

I know, I live right off I-70 and watch the annual migration of westward-bound hunters hauling their quads, bikes and buggies to the elk woods. I also see them again on their way home. Very few of the rigs pulling quads have any antler showing. But I see a buncha rigs without machines, that have horns sticking up everywhere......
If big game hunting is open on any public land, ATV's don't belong there, unless ATV tags are available.
Never been to colorado except in the 1st grade for a family reunion. But I share the ATV hatred. I have belly crawled across a half frozen mud flat to jump ducks and as I was almost in range guess what, some lazy douche comes sreaming by on a dam 4 wheeler and jumped them and screwed my opportunity. It took me 30 minutes to get into position. Had people do it while turkey hunting too.

You never learn the land or the animals using it on a ATV like you do hunting on foot. If used to get to where the hunt starts, well I can see it but around here it more like parking it under a dam tree stand.
well stated SD.....

you said " logistics dictate they can't be used everywhere", and I'll add my 2 cents. "Statistics dictate those that use them are mostly not the guys that are in the '10 percent of the hunters that kill 99 percent of the elk'."

I know, I live right off I-70 and watch the annual migration of westward-bound hunters hauling their quads, bikes and buggies to the elk woods. I also see them again on their way home. Very few of the rigs pulling quads have any antler showing. But I see a buncha rigs without machines, that have horns sticking up everywhere......

Truth.

Last I checked they don't close public land to other forums of recreation during hunting seasons. I say, as long as you follow the rules, run them trails to your harts content. If the locals don't like it they can hunt somewhere else. They don't have to pay the ridiculously inflated nonresident tag prices.

Looks like you are part of the problem. You most definitely CANNOT take your ATV off road or off-trail to retrieve game except for select areas of Rio Grande Nat'l Forest. Here's from CDP&W:

Rifles and bows carried on ATVs must be completely unloaded and secured in a case.
� Be sure to check with local U.S. Forest Service and BLM offices for the local travel management plans on the national forest or for the BLM district in which you will be hunting.
Game retrieval off of roads and trails designated for motorized use is not allowed on national forests in Colorado, with the exception of limited allowances on the Rio Grande National Forest. Check with local BLM and forest service offices for specific game-retrieval policies.
� ATVs cannot be driven into designated wilderness areas.
� Be careful not to trespass onto private roads.
� Be considerate of other hunters. Drive slowly to reduce noise; drive only to areas where you will begin to walk; don't hunt from the road.
� Explain these rules and guidelines to young hunters and those unfamiliar with proper ATV use.

Some of the replies to the OP's question come across as smug and condescending. He didn't even say he was planning to use his ATV off road.

Where I hunt, in the foothills of the Sierra Madres near the Wyoming/Colorado line, there are awful roads. I have a four wheel drive truck with all terrain tires so I don't need an ATV, but not everyone does. Lot's of people use ATVs on those roads and I don't blame them. If you get stuck out there, you're in for a long day.

And to say that ATV abuse on public land is exclusively a problem of out-of-state flatlanders is laughable. But I guess I'm not surprised that someone would say that.

Used to be that people could come here and ask honest questions without getting piled on by know-it-alls. I wish that hadn't changed.
Jfc, the guy asked if he needs his carb rejetted and v"he gets a lecture.

To the op... Yes, you have to get it re-jetted. If you can borrow an efi wheeler, then you won't have to.

Most of these negative replies are coming from Locals who just don't get it . It is out of state hunter who pay for most of their game management. I would love to here what they would have to say if all non resident hunter stayed home for a few years and then watch the Fish & Game transfer the full bill for game management to the local residents. They would be begging for non-residents to return. Where they like out of state hunters are not, the state and local business needs them or they would go bankrupt .
Originally Posted by McInnis

to say that ATV abuse on public land is exclusively a problem of out-of-state flatlanders is laughable.

You are right... ATV abuse on public land is exclusively the problem of those who use ATV's. flatlanders or not.

You the prick that won't pull over and shut it off? Is it because you feel you've been ridiculously 'inflated' from behind?Maybe YOU should hunt 'somewhere else' where you can afford it......

Why are you up on your "high horse" on a jetting a carb question? If your horses are so scared of atv's leave in the damn trailer and walk. Better yet, don't take them where folks are using atv's.

I'd just as soon see all the horses turned into glue and dog food because I have no use for them, but don't come on a horse thread and tell you that just
because I don't like them.

Hopefully you slept off the whiskeythat pissed you off so much last night and are in a better mood today.
tzone, I don't get how you think that I hate ATV's. I love the damn things. Ya don't have to feed and pick up their chit all year. What I do hate, are the guys that don't ride/use them responsibly. And it wasn't just a 'jetting' question. He also asked what we think. I told him what I thought. And for bea and justin and others to assume we hate non-res hunters is laughable. What we hate is, guys that think that because their licenses cost more than a resident, it automatically gives them special priveleges. I reckon you'll just have to believe me when I say I wasn't pissed, or drunk. Just a guy giving his thoughts on the subject, AS ASKED.....

Get over your hatred of horses. There is NO glue shortage yet....
huntsman 22, I hope your not as " big a douche" as u come accross to be.
Seems pussies are always looking for a douche.
nah. I'm just a little feller.

It is 'you're', 'you', and 'across'. What's 'big a'? Maybe the underlying reason ATV abuse is rampant, is that some of the owners can't spell, or 'read' the regs, regarding their use. I never considered THAT line of reasoning before.....
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Obviously you've never had the joy of getting up at 4:00 am, hiking a mile or more to an early morning spot on a rim before dawn and then at first light, some [bleep] from out of state rolls up on the other side on his noisy ATV, oblivious to the fact that he just pushed all the elk out of the drainage.

I have.

I have too. The last time it was a guy from New York and I gave him a earful.
One of the stranger aspects of ATV use- and I've spent most of my life in elk country, often hunting public land- is that, if you were trying to design a machine for the purpose of spooking elk, it would look, sound & smell like an ATV. The reason their use isn't even MORE restricted, I think, is that the
goal of hunting in CO is not to harvest game. The goal is collecting revenue. As long as ATVs are used within the stated laws, the state is perfectly pleased to have more hunters unsuccessful, as long as more licenses are sold. It's the licenses that are sold that matters, nothing else. Can't blame anybody for doing what the state is selling.

I have.

I have too. The last time it was a guy from New York and I gave him a earful.

I have too. The guy was from Big Sandy, MT.

The day before I had hiked up to the head of a drainage, dropped into another drainage and bivouacked. Next day had elk fixing to run over me and I stopped one.

You have to use those ATV's to your advantage. wink grin
I don't have much use for them, but as long as they are kept on the trails on public land, I have no beef.

However that is usually not the case.

The negative replies that some have given are not just an opinion that they woke up one morning and decided they disliked ATV's. They come from bad experience.

Yea the OP asked about re-jetting, but just maybe these replies will get him to use his ATV responsibly.

Funny, growing up in Moffat County, sometimes working as a "guide" when a teenager, non-residents used to be blamed for all kinds of bad-doings that were generally traced back to CO residents, mostly from east of the divide. Now I live in little Rio Blanco County, which produces around 20% of the state elk harvest from a fairly small area. Don't see many slob hunters
without CO plates, and a large proportion of those aren't east-slope people, anymore. Maybe it's most abused by those who live close enough to feel a right to it, but not close enough to feel responsible?
Originally Posted by McInnis

Used to be that people could come here and ask honest questions without getting piled on by know-it-alls. I wish that hadn't changed.

The same question would have gotten the same response here 10 years ago too. wink

But, just maybe, if it had been asked in the ATV forum yesterday, or 10 years ago, the question would have been answered by ATV enthusiasts rather than who answered it here. smile http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/28/1/Horses_and_ATV_s
when hunting Elk in Colorado during the late season i have run into more locals on snowmobiles than any ATV during any other season
Snowmobiles are permitted on a lot more trails than ATVS. One example is Rabbit Ears pass, east of Steamboat Springs. There are dedicated snowmobile trails and cross country ski trails, but ATV's are not permitted. Same thing on Vail and Monarch Pass.

Once there is sufficient snow on the ground, snowmobiles do far less damage to the land than ATV's.

Concerning your previous post. Locals do get it about NR tags sales, but NR's don't get it usually that just because they pay exorbitant tag fees does not give them some free pass.

If NR sales went down, trust me, residents would take up the slack. In addition fewer tags would mean fewer hunters which would mean fewer WCO's to enforce the laws so CPW could get by with less money.

This is just another person 1500 miles away trying to explain how Colorado should run their Game Department when they don't live here and suffer the problems or don't know all the laws.

It is 'you're', 'you', and 'across'. What's 'big a'? Maybe the underlying reason ATV abuse is rampant, is that some of the owners can't spell, or 'read' the regs, regarding their use. I never considered THAT line of reasoning before.....

Huntsman 22: Really wasn't my intent to open up a can. I really don't think I did. I wasn't asking your onpinion on taking the ATV or not, I was asking your opinion on re-jetting or not.

Well anyhow: I'm 38 years old & in the best shape of my life. I think I can handle anything that u can. (Packing out an elk on my back or whatever)

Huntsman 22, I'm sure you have a lot of elk hunting experience, I'm glad we've made friends. I guess u don't get my Southern humor or slang. I guess I'll have to use proper grammar on my threads that you are lurking on.

Cheers
I'm glad we're buddies now, too. You'll prolly be coming right by the place on the way to Co. Stop by for a visit, or place to camp on the way to the hills, or on the way home.
I detest atvs and wish they'd be banned on public ground during hunting season.

The end. grin

I took my unjetted Kawasaki 650 up there in '09 to around 7000 feet and was thankful for every cc. It felt like I was driving a 500.

Once again, don't know about CO.

But in this part of Id the USFS roads and fire trails are open to motorized traffic. Until hunting season, that is. At which time a stake is driven into the turn off for the secondary roads and motorized travel is forbidden.

Funny thing though, when hunting from horse back or traveling on those closed roads, there sure are a lot of fresh ATV tracks on the ground.
I'm as much of a motorhead as anyone, but ATV's are strictly for game retrieval during hunting season. Period. They're also okay if you want to have less impact than driving a pickup or four-wheel-drive CAR somewhere to position yourself.
I remember some folks from Wisconsin, they pulled into our range at Steamboat (pay to shoot on the honor system, they had NOT). RV, trailer full of quads.
So, they are banging away, and they'd unloaded a quad and were RIDING IT up to the 100 yard backers. In the GUMBO, making the GUMBO way WORSE.
Oh, was I hot. The sheriff was a mile or so down the highway, so I said, darn, I forgot something.
Zoomed off to the SO, said come back to the range in about 10 minutes, zoomed back. Started setting up, said, welcome to Colorado, whereyafrum etc etc. Oh, do you have your shooting chits? Oh, you don't? Well, we keep the gate open for you guys and five bucks is cheap.
So, in the meantime, the bickering starts, and one of them gets on the ATV and starts heading to the backers. WTF?
About that time, an SO unit comes in from the west (opposite direction, a radio dispatch I found out later) and comes cruising up.
Hi how ya doing? Hi Dave! Hi Deputy Jim.
Deputy Jim was busy writing for a few minutes.
Originally Posted by bea175
Most of these negative replies are coming from Locals who just don't get it . It is out of state hunter who pay for most of their game management. I would love to here what they would have to say if all non resident hunter stayed home for a few years and then watch the Fish & Game transfer the full bill for game management to the local residents. They would be begging for non-residents to return. Where they like out of state hunters are not, the state and local business needs them or they would go bankrupt .

So you're basically saying that Coloradans owe a debt of Gratitude to out of state Texan hunters,..who, in general, finance most of the elk and deer hunting opportunities that Coloradans enjoy.?

eek grin

I have.

This is why I hate the ATV....and the guy who can see you set up with the wind in your face but tramps in from the other side to cut you off......all that does is [bleep] us both

BTW.....Road hunters suck too
I have taken two atvs with carbs to Colorado hunting in the last five years. Kawasaki 360 and a Yamaha 400 both ran fine with no rejet at 9000 ft to 9800. I must be lucky. Blew a little oil out the crankcase and rear ends but other than that worked great.

No... I did not take them off the trails just parked them beside the road and walked in. Be sure and mark a waypoint when you park or you might spend a couple of hours trying to find your Atv. don,t ask me how I know!!!!!
Huntsman 22, sounds like u like ATV's about as well as I like the dogs people use for deer hunting here in Bama. I don't think it's ever helped my bowhunting efforts.

Thanks for the camping offer, I might take u up on it if you are serious. Thx, RH

7k feet........TFF
RH, I think you took me all wrong. I like ATV's. It is the guys that misuse them that I dislike. I thought I made that clear. I was serious about the offer to stop by. Heck, just this week, 2 other 'fire members have come to the ranch.....
Originally Posted by luv2safari

This...

The horse and pack in crowd will get old and crippled someday. I hope they remember their intolerance for those who are now.

I hunt with a good friend from Helena who has had 11 back surgeries, just to keep him walking now. He was strong as an ox and tough as nails before his back injury.

We use 2 ATVs to hunt in more limited ways than the horsey riders. Without the ATV, my friend would be shut out of the sport he has loved for 50 of his 58 years, and he can't ride a horse. We don't go off trail or roads, but we use the machines to whatever advantage we can to gain elevation. One gets parked where we plan to come out at the bottom, and one takes us as high as roads or trails allow, then we ease down the mountain and hunt it out as much as possible. I used mine on my antelope hunt last year. I stopped at the end of an ATV trail where no truck would make it, then I walked 5 miles on out to the antelope spot, shot one, dressed it out to pack, and carried it 5 miles back. It was darned hard to do with a previously broken back, and I couldn't do it again anymore.

So, bristle and bellyache all you want about ATVs. I sure join you when I see them off roads and trails, but they have their place.

All you younger mountain men will eventually get to a point where a little help is necessary...or just choose to give it up.

You kind of described me, use to run with the big dogs up and down mts. Now being in my late 60's, bad back where it hurts sometimes to walk across a parking lot, bad leg, and my buddies are in the same condition due to all kinds of reasons, vietnam, acidents and so on. We use A.T.V.'s. My brother in laws are in their 70's and have hunted up by meeker for probably 30 years.
those atv's are a heck of a lot better in the mud/conditions around where they go just to get around. Typically they drive up some place on a road, park it, then take off a ways. But they are a lifesaver. By the way, they have horses to, but don't haul them up there. Not everybody can support a hayburner year round.
my buddy has had a quadruple bypass, diabetes, neuropathy, and other issues. In his 70's and still likes to hunt. He remembers his early days, different now, but still likes to hunt.
He will ride in to some tank, and park his butt, and he is perfectly happy with that. Also shot a nice cow last year doing that.
Originally Posted by tedthorn
7k feet........TFF

I thought the same thing......

But I was also reminded of another member thoughts on texans.
Who was it said, " the Texas version of ANYTHING is phunnier than [bleep]"? Skips my mind at the moment.....
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I'm as much of a motorhead as anyone, but ATV's are strictly for game retrieval during hunting season. Period.

The problem with this philosophy is the guys that are retrieving the game bring the ATV's right into prime elk habitat that others are hunting. There are still elk in that drainage. Maybe not real close, but they are there. Once that ATV comes chugging in, the elk leave that drainage. The ones bringing in the ATV don't care because they already got their elk and the hell with everyone else.

In Colorado at least and probably all NF and BLM lands, ATV's and other motorized vehicles are not permitted off approved trails for any reason.

Several years ago language was changed that very NF and BLM trail must have signage of what was permitted. Previous to that it only had to have signage of what was not permitted. So if you don't see an ATV symbol it is not permitted. Same with bicycles, horses, dogs, and hiking.

Any newer NF map or BLM map, now has traffic management areas marked on I. It takes a lawyer to figure them out ,but they are there.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by luv2safari

This...

You kind of described me, use to run with the big dogs up and down mts. Now being in my late 60's, bad back where it hurts sometimes to walk across a parking lot, bad leg, and my buddies are in the same condition due to all kinds of reasons, vietnam, acidents and so on. We use A.T.V.'s. My brother in laws are in their 70's and have hunted up by meeker for probably 30 years.
those atv's are a heck of a lot better in the mud/conditions around where they go just to get around. Typically they drive up some place on a road, park it, then take off a ways. But they are a lifesaver. By the way, they have horses to, but don't haul them up there. Not everybody can support a hayburner year round.
my buddy has had a quadruple bypass, diabetes, neuropathy, and other issues. In his 70's and still likes to hunt. He remembers his early days, different now, but still likes to hunt.
He will ride in to some tank, and park his butt, and he is perfectly happy with that. Also shot a nice cow last year doing that.

Somewhere along the way I got old too but I simply changed my priority's. I quit hunting big game and instead spend my time bird hunting. After the Deer and Elk hunters go home I do some trapping, and follow my Cur dog around when/if we get some snow for tracking.
I enjoy my time in the woods just as much if not more than I did chasing big game but if someone else wants to use getting old as an excuse to hunt off of a 4-wheeler that's fine with me.
Truth is though, the majority of folks using ATV's in this area aren't even close to being old and abuse the land and laws something terrible. I choose not to be one of em.

To the OP,,,, if your mechanic told you what to do regarding jets and altitude I'll be damned if I can figure out why you'd ask a bunch of total strangers who aren't mechanics anyways.
That's just asking for it as far as I'm concerned. Especially around here.

Luck

1. Not true.
2. Hot damn! 7k feet?! How'd you do it?
3. If you don't like the tag prices, don't pay them.

Texans are a funny bunch.
Sorry if I'm missing the joke. The point I was making is that taking a carbed machine from 500 feet above sea level to roughly 7000 feet above sea level resulted in a significant loss of power in my particular situation.

Maybe the regs have changed recently but when I hunted there I specifically remember reading the 100 yard rule in the reg book. I could be misremembering.
You cannot drive 100 yards off road for game retrieval. Forest Service rules allow you to drive 100 yards off road for camping.
The Rio Grande National Forest has some screwy game retrieval laws unique to that area though.
Originally Posted by starsky

1. Not true.
2. Hot damn! 7k feet?! How'd you do it?
3. If you don't like the tag prices, don't pay them.

Texans are a funny bunch.

Actually, some of the State Wildlife Area's are closed to all other kinds of recreation during hunting season here.
Get off your butt and use the quads that God gave you....you will understand the true meaning of elk hunting.
© 24hourcampfire