Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
ATV is carbureted, we're hunting 8,500-9,000 feet. Will I have to re-jet for the altitude? My hometown is 400 feet elevation. Honda dealer in Denver said re-jet main 5% leaner, stock pilot, & 1/4 turn on the air-fuel screw. What do u say?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes

I live at 4,000 feet in the valley and have to lean mine out considerably when I take them over about 7,000 feet. They are Polaris 500 Sportsman HOs.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by robinhedd
What do u say?

I say leave the sumbish at home......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
What do u say?

laugh

Funny, but I agree!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
What do u say?

What is your reasoning behind this statement?

Last edited by robinhedd; 07/25/14.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Reasoning? There are already too many lazy azzes using them improperly. If a feller ain't in good enuff shape to hunt on foot or horseback, he should take up chess.....

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I did not say it, but I could have.

My reasoning would be from my experiences a bit further west:

1: Any place you can get with an ATV, there will be 5000 rednecks there ahead of you. (many of them drinking, driving, and carrying guns)

2: In my area of operations, it is completely illegal to hunt from an ATV.

3: There are no ATV trails where game is. If there was game near an ATV trail, it would have long ago been exterminated.

4: ATVs intruding upon our traditional hunting areas in unlawful manners just pisses off us old hunters to no end. They can not get off the trail, and there is not enough room on the trail for our horses to pass them in a safe manner.

Yes, I own a Suzuki Vinson 500 4X4. I dearly love to ride it in the mountains on open ATV trails and logging roads. But I do not take it during hunting season.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. I agree with leaving it at home. You coming to hunt elk or ride?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What do u say?

+100

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I did not say it, but I could have.

My reasoning would be from my experiences a bit further west:

1: Any place you can get with an ATV, there will be 5000 rednecks there ahead of you. (many of them drinking, driving, and carrying guns)

2: In my area of operations, it is completely illegal to hunt from an ATV.

3: There are no ATV trails where game is. If there was game near an ATV trail, it would have long ago been exterminated.

4: ATVs intruding upon our traditional hunting areas in unlawful manners just pisses off us old hunters to no end. They can not get off the trail, and there is not enough room on the trail for our horses to pass them in a safe manner.

Yes, I own a Suzuki Vinson 500 4X4. I dearly love to ride it in the mountains on open ATV trails and logging roads. But I do not take it during hunting season.

I am taking the ATV to retrieve my elk after I kill one. I bet something pretty that I'm in a hell of a lot better shape than any of u that responded negatively.
Furthermore: We are hunting private land & BLM land where ATV's are perfectly legal in the state of Colorado. Thx, RH

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In Colorado you must keep your ATV on the trail and cannot take it "off road" so what's the advantage?
Travel light and drive your truck from camp to the trail head and hike in.
Another vote for leave it at home!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I agree leave the ATV at at home. And just how in shape do you have to be to ride a horse???????????

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would make my adjustments after riding it for a mile or two when you get to the altitude you will be hunting . Free county take the four wheeler if it please you . If i'm not mistaken i believe you have to register it with the Fish&Game before you use it in Colorado

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am taking the ATV to retrieve my elk after I kill one.
Furthermore: We are hunting private land & BLM land

You can pretty much do what you want with one on private land. BLM is another story. You have to stay ON trails marked for motorized vehicles. No taking it off-trail to the kill site.That means (legally) you still have to hump your critter back to the trail. And, I have no reason to believe YOU would be any different than any other guy that's never killed an elk before. Once a feller gets one down, and sees just how much bigger one is, compared to the jackrabbit-sized whitetails from home, few can resist the temptation to say fugg it, the $50 dollar fine for taking one offtrail, beats the chit outta having to work up a sweat........

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Par for the course. A guy asks a question, gets several answers, the overwhelming majority of which are not what he expected or wanted to hear. He then gets ticked off, and does what he intended to do in the first place. You can't save people from their own chitty attitudes and expectations.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I bet something pretty that I'm in a hell of a lot better shape than any of u that responded negatively.

Not one person has responded negatively. Sure, some of us said stuff YOU didn't want to hear. But the experience of actually HUNTING elk without one is what MOST consider a positive.....hint

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
250 ASL here. Ran reg carb'd motors around 8-10 K They sucked. To the point that one got us down a trail but not up and almost burned it up trying to get up...I"d have it adjusted for dang sure. I'd never go without adjusted again and if we had kept it up instead of finding we love Alaska every fall even more, I'd have had two carbs.. and just swapped em out.

As to use, we used them to camp in a center spot, then take the ATV to the trailheads of wilderness, and hunt out for a few days at a time. Then back to the ATV, camp, resupply, and either go back, or head to different wilderness border area.

Just hearing the things aggravates me personally. But from experience with other animals, if you just get away from the trails and no SOB runs off in the woods with one, the animals don't much pay attention to the noise, long as its half a mile or more away generally.

I'm not sure how folks think they would hunt with them, like driving roads and such and getting game, but for getting to ends of trails, they work wonders. We'd driven in miles further than folks can with trucks and horse trailers etc....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by LostHighway
I agree leave the ATV at at home. And just how in shape do you have to be to ride a horse???????????

I don't know, but I do know that I did 20 miles on a horse in Montana one day (hadn't been on a horse for at least 10 years prior) and the next day I felt as if I had been beaten with a 2x4

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hafta laugh at the flatlanders that dream of shooting an elk and then just running out in ole ATV and picking it up.

Be prepared to WORK just to get into a position where you MIGHT shoot an elk. In 20+ years of hunting, I've only once shot an elk within sight of a legal FS or BLM road.

And I don't know many landowners that are willing to let someone run an atv or truck anywhere they want on their land because the tracks will still be there a year later...

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt Colorado public land.......can't stand ATV's

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,571
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.