Home
Posted By: BrotherBart School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
This quote really shocked me.
The federal �healthier� school lunch overhaul, championed by First Lady Michelle Obama, has been a boondoggle for public schools across the country. The tightened restrictions, intended to combat childhood obesity, have driven more than 1 million students away from school lunches and created over $1 billion per year in food waste since they were implemented in 2012.

I can't believe that this has gone unnoticed by the national media. These are big numbers and someone in the Federal Government should be hammered for this.
The source is EAGnews.org
Posted By: ironbender Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

I can't believe that this has gone unnoticed by the national media.

Really?

Haven't you heard? The 'media' still thinks the Obama's $hit don't stink.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
[sarcasm] But, but, Michelle had good intentions. Isn't that enough? Is it her fault that you can lead a kid to a healthy lunch but can't make him eat it? [/sarcasm]
Posted By: ironbender Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Them lunches ain't healthy if them kids cain't choke them down!
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Educate - not legislate.

If you want to make a few meaningful changes- change the public food assistance rules. There is no way that food stamps should be able to purchase junk food; make it similar to WIC. That's a worthwhile program at least.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
All it would take would be for a typical school lunch to be served at a White House fund raiser.

Michelle should have to eat nothing else for a month.

Implement the same thing on Congress. I see a few of them are overweight too.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Our school lunches are terrible. Many kids and most teachers will not eat them and a lot of it boils down to the restrictions in place.
Originally Posted by ironbender

I can't believe that this has gone unnoticed by the national media.

Really?

Haven't you heard? The 'media' still thinks the Obama's $hit don't stink.
Yeah, really. The media's job is to cover this kind of thing up when it happens under a Democrat administration, not to report it.

PS Who could have guessed that the Federal Government getting involved in school lunch programs would have resulted in a boondoggle? smirk
Posted By: JMR40 Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Things may have gotten worse, but this problem started years ago. I taught form 1980-2010. School lunches were pretty darn good for the price paid when I started.

Requirements for better nutrition started in the 1990's. Lunchroom managers had all of their discretion taken away and they had to follow strict guidelines as to what was cooked and how. By 2000 I'd given up on eating school food and started bringing my own. I cannot imagine it getting any worse than it was in 2010 when I retired.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
[sarcasm] But, but, Michelle had good intentions. Isn't that enough? Is it her fault that you can lead a kid to a healthy lunch but can't make him eat it? [/sarcasm]
And whose idea of healthy? Experts differ wildly on what a healthy diet constitutes. What some say is healthy, others say is practically toxic.

For example, it's been the policy of the Waffle Hut to only serve margarine since its founding, and this for superior health. Only problem is that science left that idea in the dust long ago. In fact, margarine should be classified as a mild toxin, while natural butter is now understood to actually be quite healthy.

The whole thing about margarine being healthy and butter being bad for you was the product of corporate corruption of the medical and dietary fields by funding research supporting those results fifty years ago. Seems making spreads from vegetable oils is more profitable than putting butter on the market.

Before it was marketed as food, most vegetable oils were food-manufacturing waste products.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Things may have gotten worse, but this problem started years ago. I taught form 1980-2010. School lunches were pretty darn good for the price paid when I started.

Requirements for better nutrition started in the 1990's. Lunchroom managers had all of their discretion taken away and they had to follow strict guidelines as to what was cooked and how. By 2000 I'd given up on eating school food and started bringing my own. I cannot imagine it getting any worse than it was in 2010 when I retired.
As a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I loved school lunches. They were generally delicious. Remember the butter pats on wax paper squares? You could take as many as you wanted.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
and sling them on to the ceiling.
Posted By: G23 Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
At my kids' school lunches were so skimpy the football coach started keeping bread and nutter butter (peanut free school) in his office for the boys to make a sandwich during the day. It was so popular even the girls started doing it.
Originally Posted by G23
At my kids' school lunches were so skimpy the football coach started keeping bread and nutter butter (peanut free school) in his office for the boys to make a sandwich during the day. It was so popular even the girls started doing it.
That must be a thing, because our football coach has peanut butter and jelly sandwiches delivered to certain of his football players while they're in class.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
the most disturbing aspect of all this, is that the Moolady, with zero Constitutional power at all, can direct such a boondoggle in the first place.
She has no official standing, and no power, other than what people give her.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
No surprise, an Obama was involved in something that is a flop.

I see an opportunity for a new educational program, just teach the kids that this food is yummy.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by nighthawk
And whose idea of healthy? Experts differ wildly on what a healthy diet constitutes. What some say is healthy, others say is practically toxic.

For example, it's been the policy of the Waffle Hut to only serve margarine since its founding, and this for superior health. Only problem is that science left that idea in the dust long ago. In fact, margarine should be classified as a mild toxin, while natural butter is now understood to actually be quite healthy.

The whole thing about margarine being healthy and butter being bad for you was the product of corporate corruption of the medical and dietary fields by funding research supporting those results fifty years ago. Seems making spreads from vegetable oils is more profitable than putting butter on the market.

Before it was marketed as food, most vegetable oils were food-manufacturing waste products.
Real experience:
I used to have an old beater camp trailer. After a hunting trip with my son, we used it for storage. After 10 years of sitting, I decided to resurrect it for hunting. I know it was 10 years by the license plate. As I cleaned it out, I found an unopened ctn of margarine in the ice box. After 10 years, it was just like it came off the shelf. It hadn't molded or deteriorated in any way. Anything that can last 10 years isn't food. I haven't eaten margarine since.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
the surprise is that anyone sees this as a flop. The school lunch issue was created with the idea of doing more damage to America, from a cultural, financial and political viewpoint.
The moo has been wildly successful in her endeavor.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Real experience:
I used to have an old beater camp trailer. After a hunting trip with my son, we used it for storage. After 10 years of sitting, I decided to resurrect it for hunting. I know it was 10 years by the license plate. As I cleaned it out, I found an unopened ctn of margarine in the ice box. After 10 years, it was just like it came off the shelf. It hadn't molded or deteriorated in any way. Anything that can last 10 years isn't food. I haven't eaten margarine since.
grin That's both hilarious and disturbing. eek
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the surprise is that anyone sees this as a flop. The school lunch issue was created with the idea of doing more damage to America, from a cultural, financial and political viewpoint.
The moo has been wildly successful in her endeavor.
You conspiracy theorists make me angry. mad
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Moochelle is the modern Antoinette with a twist: "Let ME eat cake! But nobody else."

There has never been a more elitist pair in the White House than these two degenerates. Their monthly million-dollar vacations, lavish private entertainment events, and epicurean catering contrast sharply and disgustingly with every aspect of their dictatorial rule-making.
Nostalgia report:

My grade school days were 1953-1961 (the late Holocene Epoch) and cafeteria lunches were vastly different than now. I'm not positive what my parents paid for my daily meal, but I have a vague memory of 35� a day. For that princely sum, one of my favorite menus was:

Beef chili
Cornbread
Milk
Rice pudding

The generous bowl of chili was thick with beef and beans, "kid" spicy, and richly filling. The cornbread was hot from the oven and came with a slab of butter. The rice pudding dessert (which several kids always gave me) was an inch-thick slab with rice on the bottom and a layer of rich egg custard on top, nicely browned at the edges.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
One of the sidenotes of the new school lunch program is a ban on soda machines in the schools. The beverage company's give the schools a big chunck of money to have their machines on campus. Pays for score boards and athletic programs. Now that source of funding is drying up in an all ready tight school budget.
Posted By: basdjs Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
All it would take would be for a typical school lunch to be served at a White House fund raiser.

Michelle should have to eat nothing else for a month.

Implement the same thing on Congress. I see a few of them are overweight too.

Love it!
Originally Posted by BluMtn
One of the sidenotes of the new school lunch program is a ban on soda machines in the schools. The beverage company's give the schools a big chunck of money to have their machines on campus. Pays for score boards and athletic programs. Now that source of funding is drying up in an all ready tight school budget.
I never thought those machines were a good idea to start with. Soda is nothing but sugar water, and shouldn't be made easily accessible to kids in school IMO. In my day, what was provided was milk ... whole milk, not this 1% crap. You wanted something else, you had to bring it from home.
Posted By: gene270 Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
my kids wont eat the school lunches these days and i cant believe this one meal a day our kids get at school and what many say is the only meal some get at all is the contributing factor to our kids obesity problems in this country ..........
Yup. In my nostalgia piece above, I left out the milk options. We could have one or two half-pint bottle (yes, bottles) at lunch. Then, in the mid-afternoon, we got a milk break where you could buy another half-pint. It was two cents for white or three cents for chocolate, btw. Except for the hall water fountain, that was it - no other drinks on school property.

This was a private, Catholic school. Things may have different for the dumb kids down the street. (no offense)
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yup. In my nostalgia piece above, I left out the milk options. We could have one or two half-pint bottle (yes, bottles) at lunch. Then, in the mid-afternoon, we got a milk break where you could buy another half-pint. It was two cents for white or three cents for chocolate, btw. Except for the hall water fountain, that was it - no other drinks on school property.

This was a private, Catholic school. Things may have different for the dumb kids down the street. (no offense)
I went to a secular private school, myself, starting in fifth grade. Was in public before that. My sister went to Catholic school. My brother insisted on staying in public school, so my folks let him.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14

Last week our local paper had an article written by the school supt. About a new program that will provide free breakfast and lunch. Yes, FREE.

It doesn't cost a dime to our district,therefore it is FREE. Did I mention FREE?
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Nostalgia report:

My grade school days were 1953-1961 (the late Holocene Epoch) and cafeteria lunches were vastly different than now. I'm not positive what my parents paid for my daily meal, but I have a vague memory of 35� a day. For that princely sum, one of my favorite menus was:

Beef chili
Cornbread
Milk
Rice pudding

Mine was "Flying Saucers". Bologna and cheese on one half of a bun, heated in the oven. It was a treat about once a month. It was the lunch of champions and I'm sure gave me dodgeball super powers!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
was lucky to have lived when school lunches were food.

my fave was the beefaroni and I could butter up those old ladies on the lunch line to heap my tray up.

also enjoyed the spinach from a can we got, very few kids liked spinach, but I did, I'd normally have 3-4 helpings of the stuff.

yep and milk or water, no choc milk option unless you brought Nestles Quik powder from home to put in your carton.
Posted By: Davemc Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
School lunches where I live we don't have school lunches, it's bring your own. that was in the 50s and early 60s.
There were about 200 kids in the elementary school my grand kids went to.
Nobody was allowed to bring peanut butter sandwiches or any form of peanuts because ONE child had a peanut allergy.

Never heard of such a thing when my kids went to school in the 70s and 80s.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
I attended school from 1956 to 1968 and the food was mostly made from scratch. The chili, stew, and so on were delicious and filling. The cost was $ .20 in the late 1950s and $ .25 the rest of the way. The lunch ladies took pride in providing good food for the students. I was a teacher for 38 years and was fortunate to work at a school with old fashioned cooks.

About the time I retired (2 years ago) the school system went to a centralized menu. That meant all schools were serving the same meals. The quality went down at the school where I had worked because most of the other cafeteria managers wanted something fast and easy to serve. That meant tear open a bag and dump it into the deep fryer or dump it into the warming trays and serve.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
...... I could butter up those old ladies on the lunch line to heap my tray up.

also enjoyed the spinach from a can we got, very few kids liked spinach, but I did, I'd normally have 3-4 helpings of the stuff.

You were one of "those guys" huh? Our cooks in grade school seemed rather snobby to me and I never honed my skills at anything more than getting extra stewed tomatoes (with bread thrown in; that was a "recipe" I've wondered about more than once since those days).

My earliest memories of schooling back around '63 or so involved the morning milk break (there were 'milk machines' in the grade school hallways) where we all lined up for a cup (pointed paper cone cups) of whole milk fresh from the local cows via the local creamery. We even got seconds sometimes. Lunch always included honey for our bread - honey must have been an excess commodity in those days- as were, I suspect, the big bowls of black olives offered as 'add-ons' for those who liked them. (Me and my buddy Stan did!)
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Nostalgia report:

Beef chili
Cornbread
Milk
Rice pudding

The generous bowl of chili was thick with beef and beans, "kid" spicy, and richly filling. The cornbread was hot from the oven and came with a slab of butter. The rice pudding dessert (which several kids always gave me) was an inch-thick slab with rice on the bottom and a layer of rich egg custard on top, nicely browned at the edges.

I attended grade school in Oklahoma City from '57-'63 . . . 35 cents seems about right. (Mom would give me an extra dime so I could buy an ice cream bar.) A typical grade school meal in Oklahoma from that time to the present (prior to moochelle) consisted of chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, and a huge yeast roll with butter (yes TRH, a pat on wax paper.) My wife has been a food service manager in the local school system for 16 years. Her specialty is pastries. She can no longer make the sweet rolls, doughnuts, or other pastries. The kids are forced to take the items on the daily menu and they just dump it in the trash.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Alice high school, had some of the best enchiladas i've eaten anywhere.
Posted By: eyeball Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
This quote really shocked me.
The federal �healthier� school lunch overhaul, championed by First Lady Michelle Obama, has been a boondoggle for public schools across the country. The tightened restrictions, intended to combat childhood obesity, have driven more than 1 million students away from school lunches and created over $1 billion per year in food waste since they were implemented in 2012.

I can't believe that this has gone unnoticed by the national media. These are big numbers and someone in the Federal Government should be hammered for this.
The source is EAGnews.org

Well liberal dumbasses don't worry about us spending a billion a day on interest for the national debt
Posted By: eyeball Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
http://t.answers.com/answers/#!/entry/what-is-the-daily-interest-on-the-national-debt,501ad3a67af68a84dc598b72/3
Posted By: logger Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Rocky:

Those were the days! I actually have a recipe for the brownies served at the Lone Pine grade school in Medford, Oregon. This was in the early 60s and they were great.
Halcyon days indeed, as evidenced by the fact that I can only vividly recall the menus but the taste of those meals - more than a half century later.

Swiss steak
Turkey and dressing
Chicken and dumplings
Real mashed potatoes
Rolls baked right there

The lesser-liked things were still good: peas and carrots, or green beans from giant #10 cans for example.
Posted By: poboy Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
You left out liver.
Don't remember ever getting liver at school, but ate a lot of it at home. My Dad worked at the Swift & Co meat plant in East St Louis, and workers could get things like liver, brains, heart, bones, and even ribs for free. Back then, ribs were considered (I'll use the language of the times) n-i-g-g-e-r food and were generally thrown out.

As an aside, you could hardly drive a mile back then without passing a BBQ pit run by some Black man. Low cinderblock walls with screens to the roof, a rickety door, and a brick pit inside. A sign out front that universally said "Ribs and Snouts" and some of the most lip-smacking BBQ on this planet...
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/06/14
Every high-school athlete that I know these days does one thing before practice--run home and get something to eat.
Posted By: ironbender Re: School Lunch Programs - 09/07/14
Nostalgia report:

Beef chili
Cornbread
Milk
Rice pudding

All made fresh daily right there in the school, probably.

Not like the cheeseburger made at 7am and trucked all over the district prior to making it on a plate 5 hours later - dry, hard, and tasteless.
© 24hourcampfire